Type keyword(s) to search

What are...spoilers?

Athena
  • Start Topic

This thread is for the posting of the categories or answers for questions/answers on Jeopardy!

Please use this thread and not the current season thread or the All Eps topic. Everything on the episode posted before 7PM EST should be here. Spoiler tags are not necessary. Thank you!

The plot thickens!

Actually I found the original Skidmore piece. It makes no mention of Brennan losing. Sounds like someone at the Saratogian inserted that section. But do local stations have access to the shows in advance of the airing?

http://www.skidmore.edu/news/2015/0619-brennan-bushee-wins-on-jeopardy.php

Now it's been edited to include the loss and Back to the Future, and the Saratogian article has a new comment that says "The correct final Jeopardy question was actually Lost in Space, not Back to the Future." What are you talking about, commenter?!

• Love 3

Are there any Navy guys here???  My husband (Air Force) contends that submarines are not considered "ships".  So when the question was asked about innovation to Naval ships----the contestants were misled.  Of course, if they asked about innovations to "submarines"---that would have given the answer away.

I am not in any way connected to the military - and I am assuming you are referring to Tuesday's FJ clue (so not a spoiler anymore) - but the clue never said anything about a ship. The clue was "The U.S. Navy's photonics mast has replaced this familiar device".

Edited by secnarf
7 hours ago, bwriter2 said:

My husband (Air Force) contends that submarines are not considered "ships".

I think secnarf was right about the working of the clue, and I'm Air Force too, but your husband is right, I've always heard Navy guys refer to submarines as "boats" while the things that sail on the surface are "ships".  Of course, in the Air Force, we called them all "targets". ;-)

• Love 2

I can't believe I seek out spoilers for a quiz show that was filmed months ago.  I find James streak is exciting to watch.  And today's game will be great... so close to a new record!!!

• Love 1

Hi, my name is pennben, and I too am a spoiler addict. No big spoiler today, just thought I’d bump the topic back up so that when (if😀) the big spoiler comes, this topic being at the top won’t be a spoiler in and of itself.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

That would be great @Abstract! I generally check in with reddit at some point during day, but not reliable when. 

Honestly my personal preference for now would be just, did James win or not. Reddit, if I check too late just has way too much detail...apparently I still like a bit of surprise.  

I do think all of us that spoil ourselves, however we do it will be doing a favor to unspoiled folks if we try to make sure to bump every day so it is a routine that this topic is at the top—the day James loses will be spoilers galore. 

How deep do you spoil yourself?  

38 minutes ago, pennben said:

I don’t intentionally do so but it doesn’t air in SF until 7 pm so there is no way I am  not getting spoiled by a tweet or a meme ahead of watching it myself.

43 minutes ago, pennben said:

Only the winner and the money total. I still want to play along when I watch it, so I avoid any clue spoilers.

Ok, so it seems that there aren’t too many of us at this point. Can we agree for now that detail we post here is  limited to winner/winnings and we will at least look when we can to make sure to try to bump up thread at least daily so we keep the suspense for unspoiled?

not sure I’ll be that into spoilers on this show when streak is over...I only used to check when someone would annoy me and I wanted to know whether to watch/not on a given day based on result. 

35 minutes ago, pennben said:

Ok, so it seems that there aren’t too many of us at this point. Can we agree for now that detail we post here is  limited to winner/winnings and we will at least look when we can to make sure to try to bump up thread at least daily so we keep the suspense for unspoiled?

not sure I’ll be that into spoilers on this show when streak is over...I only used to check when someone would annoy me and I wanted to know whether to watch/not on a given day based on result. 

Works for me. And like you, I'm only into spoilers until the streak ends. So winner/winnings only.

I've been checking spoilers every day just because I can't take the suspense of a close game and I need to know that James wins. If he loses, I'll have to go in mentally prepared.

• Love 3

Well, I guess I learned something about myself. After much soul searching (because this is obviously the most important issue facing the world today), I decided I did want to know ahead of time if James 's last game was coming up. So I've been opening this thread and I realized, hey, I don't want to know how much James won! I want that to be a surprise! So I suppose I'm avoiding this thread again.  Until I change my mind.

(edited)

Here be dragons. If you don't want internet rumors, don't look:

Spoiler

Pretty convincing rumors (accompanied by screenshots) that James loses on Monday to a librarian named Emma Boettcher. Multiple people caught the Reddit mods sleeping today and posted about it. Yes, I'm spoiler tagging within the spoiler thread because this isn't confirmed. According to a news article in her local paper and her FB page, she is scheduled to be a contestant on Monday. We'll know for certain by Monday 10:00 a.m., I guess.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1

Okay, I’m going to laugh if true. The mods there were all so serious in the last couple of weeks about spoiler prevention protocols/testing, etc:). Posts are down now, but pretty convincing. 

• LOL 1
23 minutes ago, pennben said:

Okay, I’m going to laugh if true. The mods there were all so serious in the last couple of weeks about spoiler prevention protocols/testing, etc:). Posts are down now, but pretty convincing. 

Yeah, you would think they would take shifts over the weekend to prevent something like this if they're that worried. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Abstract said:
3 hours ago, pennben said:

Yeah, you would think they would take shifts over the weekend to prevent something like this if they're that worried. 

Ugh I saw it on reddit a few hours ago, during the interlude while the mods were at lunch or on mental break or whatever. I’m so annoyed!  It was not a spoiler thread, and it was not marked as a spoiler at all. I agree with the others, pretty convincing.  And I’m mad at the jerk who did that but also mad at the mods. They had one job. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Rbonnie said:

And I’m mad at the jerk who did that but also mad at the mods. They had one job. 

See, I really don’t get how they let it happen. I’m pretty sure I had read about that particular taping date in a comment on that site awhile back (think it was ultimately deleted).  Assuming all true, I would have imagined high alert/stronger measures as that date was upon us. Nothing would have been a perfect preventative, but Lordy, they left the front door wide open for a long time today:). 

• Love 3

I don't normally keep up with Reddit, but I did some googling today and...

Spoiler

someone posted this on April 25 (and it's still there):

"Speculation on my part here: After it was clear James was going to do something special (after his first few wins) the game suddenly is taped before no audience members. They continue this trend for the remainder of the run plus a while longer. This would leave the only possible leakers to be other contestants (losers), James, or a staffer.

However, even if there is a leak how do you know it's true? I could come out right now and say I was there when James lost. He won 32 games and $2.3 million total. His final game he came in second after going into FJ trailing by $2,200. He of course bet it all and got it right but the other lady bet just enough to win by $1.

Maybe that is all true or maybe I just completely made it up. You can't prove it is false and I can't prove it is true.

It's false (unless I had some psychic ability possess me as I was making it up). Oh great, now even I'm wondering if it could possibly be true!"

(The scenario matches a more detailed spoiler I ran across elsewhere in the last day or so.)  So, either that poster was making it up when he said he was making it up, or someone took that "prediction" and ran with it.  I would think there are people who have access to the actual game video and could make up some convincing screen shots.

He's actually won 32 games and $2,462,216 (not 2.3 mil) so it's either a lucky guesser, or a leaker trying to obfuscate a bit.

I guess we'll see, eventually.  I'm thinking way too much about this!

My family is more bothered by this than I am. I figured they would be glad, because I have been a wee bit obsessed, but apparently not. 

My main concern now: that his wins won't be considered enough to merit a face-off with Ken and Brad, and we'll have to wait for that till a 40th anniversary tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Abstract said:

considered enough to merit a face-off with Ken and Brad, and we'll have to wait for that till a 40th anniversary tournament. 

After just having a big tournament and them having enough people for a Tournament of Champions next season I can’t imagine they would do put something together for awhile.

(edited)
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

After just having a big tournament and them having enough people for a Tournament of Champions next season I can’t imagine they would do put something together for awhile.

Yeah, I know. It's too bad.

James has to know this has leaked out, but he's keeping up appearances. He and his wife have posted two videos today, one doing the egg crack challenge and one announcing their $65,000 donation to build a birthing center in Haiti. 

Edited by Abstract

Based on the screenshots I saw of scores, if this is true it will be the epic shoot-out I had hoped for. I also accidentally saw FJ. I'm mad at myself for that because I think I may have gotten that right, but now I won't know for sure.

People are even trolling his social media with it. Not cool at all.

Well, I had this really fun fanfic written up about how *I* was going to be the one to take him out, but it obviously isn't going to come true.

38 minutes ago, Trillium said:

My local radio station just blurted it out without any spoiler warning. It doesn’t air here until 6pm EST.  😐

Oh, that really stinks. Guess that erases all doubt.

10 hours ago, Abstract said:

People are even trolling his social media with it. Not cool at all.

I hate him and I think that's not necessary at all.  He still won 30some games.  Only one other person in the world can say they have done that.   Heh, though, I am sure that he really cares while counting his millions of dollars that he will now get in a few months. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I hate him and I think that's not necessary at all.  He still won 30some games.  Only one other person in the world can say they have done that.   Heh, though, I am sure that he really cares while counting his millions of dollars that he will now get in a few months. 

And it’s not like he won’t be back for the TOC and other events. People suck. 

My husband hates spoilers, so he'd know if I decided to watch tonight (we get it at 7:30 pm EDT), what was going on. I set the DVR to record it. I stopped watching. I have nothing against James, just wasn't enjoying the games. 

Jeopardy just aired in my market & I watched FJ only. 

I am so not a conspiracy theorist, but it almost seems like he threw the game. It's not like him to wager so little - ever - but especially when the category is Shakespeare & the 1st place challenger is a librarian. Maybe he figured he was going to lose anyway, so wagered low, but that is not his SOP. Based on the scores going into FJ I am looking forward to watching the entire game on the DVR tonight. Now his daughter will get her party

And Kit Marlow - shoutout to us..lol 

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe he wagered such that he only bet enough such that he would win if the other player missed the question and he got it right and also if they both got it wrong  (he knew she had to bet a certain amount to cover him in case they were both right). Even if he went all in, he couldn’t beat her if they were both right.  Smart bet from second place. It’s what Nate did a couple of weeks ago as well. 

Edited by pennben
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6