Type keyword(s) to search

Monk - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 8/6/2019 at 8:25 PM, LexieLily said:

Was the contract negotiations between Bitty Schram and the show especially contentious before she left? Because I just watched Natalie's first episode (Mr. Monk and the Red Herring) and besides the fact that Sharona's departure only warranted a five minute scene with Monk and Kroger, the reasoning didn't make sense. Sharona hated her ex-husband and seemed to fully see him for what he was. The Sharona I've been binge-watching for the first two and a half seasons wouldn't uproot her life and her son, not to mention leave Monk with little warning, to move back to New Jersey and re-marry her ex.

They just had that episode when her ex showed up in season two Mr. Monk and the Sleeping Suspect and its really hard to believe she would ever go back to him after that episode. She let her guard down mostly for Benji only to learn he was using her to get his uncle's money. They should have just gone with Sharona's mother or aunt was in accident or sick and needed care. Since she was a nurse that would have made more sense.

Watching Mr. Monk and the Playboy-Benji is such a good kid. When Sharona's explaining that their maybe some pictures coming out of her and might hear about it school. Which he definitely would have but he just asks if the guy is bad and he shouldn't let him get away with it because he might have a bad day at school.  That's really amazing for a kid especially when he really would get so much grief at school over the pictures. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

They just had that episode when her ex showed up in season two Mr. Monk and the Sleeping Suspect and its really hard to believe she would ever go back to him after that episode. She let her guard down mostly for Benji only to learn he was using her to get his uncle's money. They should have just gone with Sharona's mother or aunt was in accident or sick and needed care. Since she was a nurse that would have made more sense.

That is what I thought they were going to do! Because in the episode before Sharona left, the one with Monk's former in-laws and the game show, Kevin was looking in on Monk every so often because Sharona was gone, and when Sharona called on the phone Monk specifically asked her how her mother was doing. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

That is what I thought they were going to do! Because in the episode before Sharona left, the one with Monk's former in-laws and the game show, Kevin was looking in on Monk every so often because Sharona was gone, and when Sharona called on the phone Monk specifically asked her how her mother was doing. 

That would have been the perfect reason. They could have just said her mother took a turn for the worse after Sharona left since she in the next episode Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine and then in the very next episode after that she's gone and he meets Natalie. They had perfect reason in the episode to explain her leaving Monk they should have taken it instead of made up the crap about her going back to her ex. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That would have been the perfect reason. They could have just said her mother took a turn for the worse after Sharona left since she in the next episode Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine and then in the very next episode after that she's gone and he meets Natalie. They had perfect reason in the episode to explain her leaving Monk they should have taken it instead of made up the crap about her going back to her ex. 

Unfortunately no one writing the show asked us 😉 

• Love 2

It smacks of writing Sharona's exit in a way that's not just illogical but offensive (a woman going back to the bag of dicks that is her ex) rather than the one that both serves the character well and makes sense given what we've seen (a nurse moving back home to care for her mom) because they're ticked off the actor wouldn't cave in contract negotiations.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

It smacks of writing Sharona's exit in a way that's not just illogical but offensive (a woman going back to the bag of dicks that is her ex) rather than the one that both serves the character well and makes sense given what we've seen (a nurse moving back home to care for her mom) because they're ticked off the actor wouldn't cave in contract negotiations.

Something must have happened in the years in-between, otherwise they wouldn't have brought her back for that one episode in season eight. Was she written well in that one? 

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Was she written well in that one? 

Well, that time they stuck her with Randy, so I'd say no, but I remember some posters thought they'd improved him enough it wasn't awful, and obviously Bitty Schram was willing to come back for it.  I don't remember much about it other than it being nice to see her again; I think I liked the way they wrote her interaction with Natalie (and of course with Monk) and only disliked the Randy thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, that time they stuck her with Randy, so I'd say no, but I remember some posters thought they'd improved him enough it wasn't awful, and obviously Bitty Schram was willing to come back for it.  I don't remember much about it other than it being nice to see her again; I think I liked the way they wrote her interaction with Natalie (and of course with Monk) and only disliked the Randy thing.

Did they mention what happened between her and Benji's dad, or why she didn't stay in contact with Monk?

29 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Did they mention what happened between her and Benji's dad, or why she didn't stay in contact with Monk?

From 10.8 "Mr. Monk and Sharona," just:

[NATALIE(?)]: And Trevor, how's Trevor?

[SHARONA]: We're separated for good this time. This was the best thing for both of us. 

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

While I would have really preferred that Sharona left for a family reason, or, even better, the better job that she did eventually get which would enable her to provide for her son,*
I do think her going back to her terrible ex was both in character (she had a habit of dating men who turned out to be killers) and not unlike a lot of real life women who have an unfortunate type that they keep aligning themselves with (although not me or my sister).

* although they made it seem like Sharona needed an insurance windfall to provide for Benji even after she got a position as a Nurse Administrator at a Veterans Hospital
--but the show was a dramedy, and often the comedic elements included the preposterous
--in fact, I think every episode had at least one preposterous minor plot point.

• Useful 2

Two observations based on the recent episodes I've seen:

1) I don't understand why Monk (or if not Monk, Leland) didn't press charges against that nut Cora that held Monk hostage in Mr. Monk Bumps His Head (4. 11). If Leland/Randy/Natalie hadn't found him in Wyoming, would Cora just have held onto Monk as "Jerry" forever?

2) Julie and her classmates were rude little brats to Monk in Mr. Monk And The Astronaut (4. 14) when they were more than old enough to know better (and why didn't Natalie or the teacher take that damn red light away from the kid?), but she redeemed herself with the end scene of the episode and that medal she made for Monk. I do hope he kept that.

15 hours ago, LexieLily said:

1) I don't understand why Monk (or if not Monk, Leland) didn't press charges against that nut Cora that held Monk hostage in Mr. Monk Bumps His Head (4. 11). If Leland/Randy/Natalie hadn't found him in Wyoming, would Cora just have held onto Monk as "Jerry" forever?

I detested this episode! I didn't find it funny. I love Laurie Metcalf, but Cora was just gross. I have not doubt that she would have continued to pretend that she was "Jerry's" wife if they had not found Monk. I have no idea why no one thought to put this woman in jail. 

On 9/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, Bastet said:

This was not contract negotiations. She was fired because she wanted more money. Word was that Bitty, Ted Levine and Jason Gray Stanford wanted a pay increase. I guess the other two caved and Bitty was fired as an example. I think it was a bad move on their part. You are only in the second season of a hit show. You can and will be replaced. Welcome Natalie. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Mikita said:

I detested this episode! I didn't find it funny. I love Laurie Metcalf, but Cora was just gross. I have not doubt that she would have continued to pretend that she was "Jerry's" wife if they had not found Monk. I have no idea why no one thought to put this woman in jail. 

Parts of the episode were funny and/or heartwarming (seeing how distraught Natalie was when Monk was missing, for starters, and how Randy and Natalie knew their mystery man in Wyoming was Monk because of Monk smoothing out the wrinkled five dollar bill), but Cora was gross. And of course she had no way of knowing how emotionally fragile Monk was, but I'd imagine he would have needed quite a few extra sessions with Dr. Kroger once Leland/Randy/Natalie got him home safely to San Francisco. Cora got off so easy for essentially kidnapping a man.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Cora got off so easy for essentially kidnapping a man.

It could be hard to prove that she kidnapped Monk since he had amnesia as a result of an attack by an unrelated criminal who put him in an unconscious state on the truck that landed him in Cora's town.
Plus, Cora was such a compulsive liar that it might be hard to prove what she herself believed to be true.
And, finally, I'm sure nobody wanted to see any more of Cora.

• LOL 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And, finally, I'm sure nobody wanted to see any more of Cora. 

Ha, true!

Also, the episode title is slightly misleading. Monk didn't "bump his head", he was attacked with a pipe. LOL

• Love 2
On 7/31/2017 at 11:03 PM, andromeda331 said:

No matter how many times I see it I never tire of Monk explaining his Alice Cooper wants an antique chair theory. "The fairest chair in all the land" It was awesome.

I just watched Mr. Monk and The Garbage Strike tonight and we had to stop and rewind Monk's Alice Cooper theory at least five times because we were cracking up so much. Because of course every rock star in the world wants a wing-back chair! I loved Monk commandeering the garbage truck and attempting to clean up the city one bag at a time, and then when the truck was full he was going to go dump it in the bay! I LOVED his plan for cleaning up the city, first evacuating San Francisco and then burning it all down, and THEN burning the ashes just to be safe! But I think one of my favorites parts was Leland knowing how to get through to Monk in the end - taking him to the hermetically sealed, soundproofed, and 100% dust and germ free clean room in the computer factory. Only made better by the fact that Leland brought his anger-management yo-yo with him!  

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I just watched Mr. Monk and The Garbage Strike tonight and we had to stop and rewind Monk's Alice Cooper theory at least five times because we were cracking up so much. Because of course every rock star in the world wants a wing-back chair! I loved Monk commandeering the garbage truck and attempting to clean up the city one bag at a time, and then when the truck was full he was going to go dump it in the bay! I LOVED his plan for cleaning up the city, first evacuating San Francisco and then burning it all down, and THEN burning the ashes just to be safe! But I think one of my favorites parts was Leland knowing how to get through to Monk in the end - taking him to the hermetically sealed, soundproofed, and 100% dust and germ free clean room in the computer factory. Only made better by the fact that Leland brought his anger-management yo-yo with him!  

I love this episode! Everything about it is gold. Monk mailing his trash to Kroger. Monk's wild theory about Alice Cooper and the chair. Hilarious. Monk's plan to clean up the city was brilliantly funny. One truck at a time. Loved his whole speech about driving the trucks into the Bay. lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Mikita said:

I love this episode! Everything about it is gold. Monk mailing his trash to Kroger. Monk's wild theory about Alice Cooper and the chair. Hilarious. Monk's plan to clean up the city was brilliantly funny. One truck at a time. Loved his whole speech about driving the trucks into the Bay. lol

Another little thing was Randy actually asking Monk questions about the Alice Cooper theory and why he didn't take the chair and how Leland was all "Shut up, Randy, we don't need to poke holes in the Alice-Cooper-needs-a-wingback-chair theory"

• LOL 7
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Clearly I need to rewatch this episode!
5.2 "Mr. Monk and the Garbage Strike," right?

Yes! And the end scene has Monk throwing confetti for the garbage workers when the strike is over and then immediately insisting they can't leave without cleaning it up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Mikita said:

Another little thing was Randy actually asking Monk questions about the Alice Cooper theory and why he didn't take the chair and how Leland was all "Shut up, Randy, we don't need to poke holes in the Alice-Cooper-needs-a-wingback-chair theory"

I love that Randy was asking questions as if was a real theory wondering why he didn't take the chair with him and about the blood. He could have just washed it. And calling Monk a vigilante. A garbage vigilante. 

Yes! And the end scene has Monk throwing confetti for the garbage workers when the strike is over and then immediately insisting they can't leave without cleaning it up.

It'll always be my favorite episode for all those reasons and everything else. Monk telling the Mayor his plan and then asking him to write it down so he won't forget and the Mayor assuring him he wouldn't forget. Wanting to tell Randy, Leland, and Natalie he thought the Mayor was involved so he takes them to a corner so no one will overheard but its the whispering spot and everyone else hears. In the drug store trying to insist to the store clerk or manager that the Mayor was in the store at midnight when Monk was insisting the Mayor committed the murder complete with a "Here's What Happened." arguing with the manager kept insisting he wasn't in the store "I'm not complete idiot I would know if the Mayor was in my store at midnight".  The whole of Monk's Alice Cooper theory it was awesome to hear and see Alice Cooper beating up the guy and shooting him. "He's the bad kind of hippie." "The fairest chair in all the land" "Its no secret rock stars collect antiques especially antique chairs." Made perfect with Leland following up that with "What the hell are you talking about?"  Monk mailing his trash to Dr. Kroger. 

• LOL 3

I also loved how exasperated Leland was with Monk at the beginning about having to go look like an idiot on camera retracting everything because Monk was wrong. Ha!

All made up for by the end where he wanted to be absolutely sure Monk was right because "I've been burned twice by you this week" and Monk smirked his you-know-I'm-right/he's-the-guy smile and Leland simply said "That's good enough for me."

• Love 5
On 10/25/2018 at 10:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

"Mr. Monk Can't See a Thing" is airing. The "Mr. Magoo" references are writing genius, and Tony Shaloub is at the top of his game, while the rest of the cast are terrific too.

How long are we to assume each episode spans in show-time? Because if this one happened long enough for Monk to be temporarily blinded by the murderer tossing solvent into his eyes to where there was some worry the blindness could be permanent, for him to get a cane and for Leland/Randy to take that empathy class or whatever it was, for someone to come over to teach Monk things, he must have lost his vision for a few weeks or even months.

The episode itself was great and I agree with you, @shapeshifter, that Shaloub was especially good in this one. I was cringing at my TV when Natalie let him wander off on his own at the construction site. Even when Monk has all of his senses he always gets in the most trouble and danger when Natalie leaves him on his own. LOL

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Tony Shaloub is at the top of his game

BTW, @LexieLily, when I said that Tony Shalhoub was at the top of his game in that episode, I did not mean to imply that he is ever not on point in his acting. Two other post-Monk shows I've enjoyed him in (and that you might too) are BrainDead (canceled way too soon) and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (on Amazon Prime with a third season coming out soon).

Although Tony Shalhoub isn't the lead in either of these shows, they both have the same quality as Monk.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Today is the weekly "Day Shift" Monk marathon on the H&I network.

I caught the last couple of scenes of 7.14 "Mr. Monk and the Bully," guest starring Julie Bowen as a victim and as the victim's Evil Twin, with H!TG! actor Noah Emmerich as her husband, who bullied Monk when they were kids in school together, and who hires Monk to spy on his wife.

I just noticed this time the parallel of Monk suffering "swirlies" (having his head held by the bully in a flushing toilet in school --which is really a form of waterboarding) and the grown-up bully's wife almost being drowned in her bathtub by her evil twin holding her head under water.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo

I detest the type of shock jock radio hosts in general (5.13; Mr. Monk Is On The Air) but never have I wanted more for Monk to discover how Max Hudson committed the murder and have him arrested. It was bad enough when he and his flunkies went after Monk when he was on the show, but to use Trudy's death as material for more jokes at Monk's expense. I cheered when Monk got in Hudson's face at the end. "You're not laughing now, are you? / No. I'm not laughing now. / Join the club."

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 2
On 9/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, LexieLily said:

I detest the type of shock jock radio hosts in general (5.13; Mr. Monk Is On The Air) but never have I wanted more for Monk to discover how Max Hudson committed the murder and have him arrested. It was bad enough when he and his flunkies went after Monk when he was on the show, but to use Trudy's death as material for more jokes at Monk's expense. I cheered when Monk got in Hudson's face at the end. "You're not laughing now, are you? / No. I'm not laughing now. / Join the club."

So do I. The only good thing about the episode was cheering at the end when Monk took him down. I've never liked those kinds of shock jock hosts either. How horrible are you to laugh and make fun of a woman's horrifying death and too her husband? That's not funny. That's sick. 

I really hate Mr. Monk and the Bad Girlfriend where Linda's suddenly a murderer and thinks she can convince Leland that Monk tried to seduce her. She was such a cool person in Mr. Monk, Private Eye and I really liked her and Leland hitting it off. If they wanted to break them up they could have just done that. She's the first person he's dated since his divorce so it wouldn't be entirely surprising it didn't work out. I really like TK too but I really liked Linda too.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

really hate Mr. Monk and the Bad Girlfriend where Linda's suddenly a murderer and thinks she can convince Leland that Monk tried to seduce her

But I do love the moment when Linda tells Leland that Monk tried to seduce her and we see Leland immediately and unequivocally reach the understanding that she is lying, because he knows Monk would never do that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I do love the moment when Linda tells Leland that Monk tried to seduce her and we see Leland immediately and unequivocally reach the understanding that she is lying, because he knows Monk would never do that. 

I haven't seen this episode yet but now I want to, immediately. Seriously, read the room, Linda. Not only would Monk never seduce anyone (he wouldn't even know how, TBH), but Leland is one of the few friends Monk has and he wouldn't go after his best friend's woman. She must have been a bad criminal if she couldn't think up another way to try and convince Leland that Monk wasn't telling the truth.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So do I. The only good thing about the episode was cheering at the end when Monk took him down. I've never liked those kinds of shock jock hosts either. How horrible are you to laugh and make fun of a woman's horrifying death and too her husband? That's not funny. That's sick.

And you know Monk has probably not fought anyone or punched anyone in his entire life but he flew across that table when Trudy's name came out of Max Hudson's mouth. He was also making very inappropriate comments about Natalie. I liked the little comment from Randy the scene later that he and Leland were listening to the show and had to turn it off they were so disgusted.

• Love 2
On 9/15/2019 at 6:04 PM, LexieLily said:

Steven Weber is so good at playing an asshole. I love when Tony Shaloub's former co-stars appear, like Stanley Tucci(BIG NIGHT) and Enrico Colantoni(GALAXY QUEST).

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 4:21 AM, andromeda331 said:

I really hate Mr. Monk and the Bad Girlfriend where Linda's suddenly a murderer and thinks she can convince Leland that Monk tried to seduce her. She was such a cool person in Mr. Monk, Private Eye and I really liked her and Leland hitting it off. If they wanted to break them up they could have just done that. She's the first person he's dated since his divorce so it wouldn't be entirely surprising it didn't work out. I really like TK too but I really liked Linda too.

But then again, Linda isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, is she? She met Leland via hiring Monk to find out who scratched her car and in that process Monk solved a murder. She must have heard from Leland many times in their dating relationship how good Monk was at solving murders or even seen it firsthand. Yet she still decides to commit a murder and thinks she can get away with it. 

Not to mentioned the idiocy mentioned above by @shapeshifter of her thinking she could get Leland to believe that Monk would frame her for the murder if she didn't sleep with him. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Not to mentioned the idiocy mentioned above by @shapeshifter of her thinking she could get Leland to believe that Monk would frame her for the murder if she didn't sleep with him. 

I don't recall much about her personality, but self-centered people typically don't notice even obvious traits in others, even if (like my sister) they have known someone for a long time.  

20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't recall much about her personality, but self-centered people typically don't notice even obvious traits in others, even if (like my sister) they have known someone for a long time.  

This episode is now for sure circled as important in my upcoming viewing. I'm almost through season five and it's funny to see how many different ways the show tried to hide Traylor's pregnancy. 

16 hours ago, LexieLily said:

But then again, Linda isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, is she? She met Leland via hiring Monk to find out who scratched her car and in that process Monk solved a murder. She must have heard from Leland many times in their dating relationship how good Monk was at solving murders or even seen it firsthand. Yet she still decides to commit a murder and thinks she can get away with it. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It just doesn't make any sense. She dated Leland for a year and was quick enough to tell he was divorced and hadn't found a place yet. She flirted with him and offered up her boat to help nab another killer. Suddenly she forgets all about what Monk's like and all the stories she had to of heard of from dating Leland? Not to mention seen for herself. There's no way they didn't hang out with Monk. I don't think they planned her being a murderer until later. Whether SL was unable to commit to the show or something and decided to write her off. But instead of going with they broke up went with Linda suddenly a murderer.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It just doesn't make any sense. She dated Leland for a year and was quick enough to tell he was divorced and hadn't found a place yet. She flirted with him and offered up her boat to help nab another killer. Suddenly she forgets all about what Monk's like and all the stories she had to of heard of from dating Leland? Not to mention seen for herself. There's no way they didn't hang out with Monk. I don't think they planned her being a murderer until later. Whether SL was unable to commit to the show or something and decided to write her off. But instead of going with they broke up went with Linda suddenly a murderer.  

On other shows, this would bother me, and I’d be scream-posting about character assassination and retcon. But every episode of Monk has at least one absurdity that makes no sense. I’m not sure if these inconsistencies are there to remind us it’s a comedy as well as a drama, but the consistency of the occurrences of these OOC moments —as well as their being isolated moments of the “which thing in this picture is is not like the others” variety, makes me chuckle even as I roll my eyes. 

• Love 1
On 8/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, shapeshifter said:

6.1 "Mr. Monk and His Biggest Fan" is airing with Sarah Silverman as Marci Maven. I'm wondering what it would have been like if they'd had another Marci Maven episode in which Marci decided she was Natalie's biggest fan.

I just saw this episode tonight (just started season six! whee!) and Sarah Silverman played her part well, but I spent a majority of the episode thinking that, Monk, you live in a world where you solve murders and deal with criminals and various nefarious people all the time! And apparently the last time he/Natalie interacted with this Marci woman Marci locked him in her car and tried to kidnap him to Corpus Christie which necessitated the restraining order that said Marci had to stay fifty feet away from him, but Monk and Natalie treated her like a run-of-the-mill nutjob fan. She could have seriously hurt him. 

And if Marci really was such a big fan of Adrian Monk as she claimed to be and knew everything about him, why did she insist on giving him "Clue Hugs"? (Though, Natalie teasing him at the end with the Monk and Marci dolls was hilarious) 

I wish John Turturro came back as Ambrose. I still cry thinking about the scene where he reveals he didn't get in touch with his brother after Trudy died because he blamed himself because she was going out to get him cough medicine when her car blew up. I'm glad they remembered that for the finale.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I wish John Turturro came back as Ambrose. I still cry thinking about the scene where he reveals he didn't get in touch with his brother after Trudy died because he blamed himself because she was going out to get him cough medicine when her car blew up. I'm glad they remembered that for the finale.

I thought Trudy was killed in a parking garage. Car bombs seem to be an instant-kill sort of thing, right away when the car is turned on or put into drive, so how could she have made it all the way to a parking garage from presumably her/Adrian's house or Ambrose's or the pharmacy?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I thought Trudy was killed in a parking garage. Car bombs seem to be an instant-kill sort of thing, right away when the car is turned on or put into drive, so how could she have made it all the way to a parking garage from presumably her/Adrian's house or Ambrose's or the pharmacy?

I think the bomb was planted while her car was parked in the public garage --presumably while she was running the errand for Ambrose.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I think the bomb was planted while her car was parked in the public garage --presumably while she was running the errand for Ambrose.

And no one saw who did it? (I watch a lot of true-crime TV, sorry. Lol)

• Love 1
23 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

It was also sad in Mr Monk's 100th case when Ambrose said that, after Trudy's death, Adrian was sitting in a chair opposite him and he could see Adrian's soul leaving his body 😥😥 I wish Ambrose would have come back again; at least for the final.

• Love 2