Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Monk

Recommended Posts


15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I see that it will at least start with 2 episodes back-to-back. 

I am assuming it will continue to be that way, taking up the two hours that Columbo used to take up in that 8:00pm time slot.   The Columbo episode Prescription Murder, is the one that will air on 7/18, @ 6:00pm est.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

@Annber03 and I were discussing the idea of a Monk bracket tournament in the style of March Madness to discover the Best Episode of Monk. Would this forum be interested in something like that, or is there a specified section for games?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

@Annber03 and I were discussing the idea of a Monk bracket tournament in the style of March Madness to discover the Best Episode of Monk. Would this forum be interested in something like that, or is there a specified section for games?

I've seen it done in other topics.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of games, every summer the Spoiler TV website has a character cup competition, featuring characters from shows both old and new, and Monk is one of the options in this year's competition. He's in the current round, which lasts for the next 24 hours (he's up against Bucky from "Falcon and Winter Soldier", and so far Bucky's winning :p). 

But if anyone's interested in voting, here's the link (and if you see any other characters from other shows in the competition you want to vote for, too, feel free): 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/07/2021-character-cup-round-1c.html

  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

21. I wasn't sure of the number of novels, which I probably should've known, given I used to shelve them when I worked at a bookstore. Haven't read them yet, though. 

A couple of the other answers I got were just lucky guesses. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Monk Quiz.

16 out of 22,  Given how often I have watched the episodes, pretty horrible.

I got 20 out of 22, but 2 were wild guesses.
At least 4 are not things you would know just by watching the show.

I had no idea there were novels.
Are they any good?

And I didn't see the web series. I think it was behind a pay wall.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm only a very casual fan and haven't watched in a long time, so I expected to do horribly on the quiz, but I got 18 (five of those were guesses).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had no idea there were novels.
Are they any good?

I knew there were novels, but was unsure of the number.  I have never read any of them.

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And I didn't see the web series. I think it was behind a pay wall.

I didn't know there was a web series.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'd only learned about the web series when I started getting into the show and reading up on it online. Haven't seen any of that, either. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

21/22. I also had no idea there was a web show or novels. Were either of those things any good?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I got 18 out of 22.  I guess incorrectly about how many eps the psychiatrist was in even though I suspected I was wrong.  Also wrong about how many actors played Dale The Whale.  I got the number of novels wrong but did get the streaming show correct.  And I was wrong on the phobias--why I underestimated that one, I do not know.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

17/22

Didn't know there was a web series or books. Also didn't know which network Monk was aired on since I don't live in America and I totally guessed which tv show Tony Shalhoub was on before 🤷‍♀️ So, overall I think "not bad."

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Woo-hoo! Got 22/22! I knew there were 19 books because I have them all. They are very good. It’s like having extra episodes. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, christie said:

I totally guessed which tv show Tony Shalhoub was on before

That one was easy for me because my mom's a fan of "Wings" :D. I got into that show through watching it with her-first thing I'd ever seen him in (and he's hilarious on there). 

And funny enough, they used to show "Wings" reruns on the USA Network (which is where my mom first came across that show), which of course, also aired "Monk". Good cross-promotion opportunity, and all that :).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

15 out of 22. I thought I knew the show better. I didn't know about the books or web series or which shows the actors were on previously. Got the phobias right and the psychiatrists right and a few wild guesses...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Gramto6 said:

15 out of 22. I thought I knew the show better. I didn't know about the books or web series or which shows the actors were on previously. Got the phobias right and the psychiatrists right and a few wild guesses...

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

Someone needs to make a quiz like that. Or find one. But make it difficultly: hard 😆

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

Definitely! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

Oh I'd probably suck at that quiz.  I forget details so much.  Which is why I forgot how many phobias he had.  Or how many whales there were.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet we'd all get 100% right if the quiz was just about the content of the episodes.

I wouldn't have (and wouldn't expect to; as I said, I was a very casual fan and haven't seen it in some time) -- I didn't know how many Dale the Whales there were (I originally guessed three, but unfortunately changed my guess to two) or that Tony Shalhoub is the only cast member to appear in all episodes.

Dr. Kroger being in more episodes and Snoop Dogg being the rapper I only got via guessing, although I was pretty sure about the first one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Dr. Kroger being in more episodes and Snoop Dogg being the rapper I only got via guessing, although I was pretty sure about the first one.

Admittedly I guessed on the Drs. Kroger vs Bell question, but Kroger was in six seasons to Bell's two, so I assumed. 

I think I might put together a quiz for you guys, now...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Admittedly I guessed on the Drs. Kroger vs Bell question, but Kroger was in six seasons to Bell's two, so I assumed. 

I couldn't remember how far along in the series the actor died, so I knew it was either Dr. Kroger had been in more or they'd been in the same, but I figured it was the former.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't remember how far along in the series the actor died, so I knew it was either Dr. Kroger had been in more or they'd been in the same, but I figured it was the former.

Ooh that was my mistake.  In my head, I was thinking about Natalie and Sharona and how Sharona left almost exactly in the middle (she didn't but it was closer to the middle than Kroger.)  I should not have made that mistake. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

21/22. I also had no idea there was a web show or novels. Were either of those things any good?

18/22 I read only one of the novels. It was alright.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

18/22 I read only one of the novels. It was alright.

Not the greatest recommendation, lol. 

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Not the greatest recommendation, lol. 

It was just very one dimensional. Not much there.

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was just very one dimensional. Not much there.

That makes me sad, and now I'm glad I haven't read them, because I wouldn't want them to ruin the show for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, LexieLily said:

That makes me sad, and now I'm glad I haven't read them, because I wouldn't want them to ruin the show for me.

Oh, didn't ruin the show for me. In fact it was an episode that I'd seen. It was just that Tony is such a presence, I didn't feel the same interest.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'd just want to check them out for curiosity's sake more than anything, if I ever happen to come across any of 'em :). I can see where it'd be easy to feel that way while reading one, though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, didn't ruin the show for me. In fact it was an episode that I'd seen. It was just that Tony is such a presence, I didn't feel the same interest.

Some of the novels were written about the canon-episodes? That's interesting!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Some of the novels were written about the canon-episodes? That's interesting!

Yep, I'll see if I can find my copy. It's in one of my piles of books somewhere around here. It's narrated by Natalie.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, I'll see if I can find my copy. It's in one of my piles of books somewhere around here. It's narrated by Natalie.

I'd be interested to know what episode it covered, at least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

I'd be interested to know what episode it covered, at least.

I was wrong. It's called Mr. Monk Goes To The Firehouse. Monk has to stay with Natalie and Julie because his place is being fumigated for termites. One thing that stood out to me (being a fan of Emergency!) is there is a fireman called Captain Mantooth.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I only read the one. 

Oh. That's what I get for skimming, LOL. 
I conflated your post with @Annber03's:

On 7/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, Annber03 said:

21. I wasn't sure of the number of novels, which I probably should've known, given I used to shelve them when I worked at a bookstore. Haven't read them yet, though....

--and was wrongly imagining one of you had them all sitting on a shelf in your home. 

Anyhoo, here's a link with info: https://monk.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Monk_(book_series)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I recently watched, Mr. Monk and the Three Pies.

I was thinking to myself, if I were stuck in a house for an extended period of time, who would I rather be stuck in the house with, Ambrose or Adrian?

I think I would rather be stuck in a house with Ambrose.  Yes, the house would get smaller and smaller with all of the stuff he refused to throw out simply because he wanted to keep it all in case his dad came back.   But he was nowhere as needy as Monk.

Of the two who would you rather be stuck in house with?

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I recently watched, Mr. Monk and the Three Pies.

I was thinking to myself, if I were stuck in a house for an extended period of time, who would I rather be stuck in the house with, Ambrose or Adrian?

I think I would rather be stuck in a house with Ambrose.  Yes, the house would get smaller and smaller with all of the stuff he refused to throw out simply because he wanted to keep it all in case his dad came back.   But he was nowhere as needy as Monk.

Of the two who would you rather be stuck in house with?

I think Adrian. He does all that housework that I hate and he has simple taste in food. As long as it doesn't touch.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think Adrian. He does all that housework that I hate and he has simple taste in food. As long as it doesn't touch.

Yeah, but you would never hear the end of it if you ran out of wipes.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Of the two who would you rather be stuck in house with?

Ambrose.  Monk would think my very presence meant I should act as his assistant, he'd keep trying to demand I do things for him he's perfectly capable of doing for himself, and I would have to kill him (secure in the knowledge I could get away with it, since no one in the entire SFPD can solve a crime without him).

Ambrose is nice and quiet, used to being alone, and wouldn't pester me.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ambrose is nice and quiet, used to being alone, and wouldn't pester me.

Yeah, I'd go with Ambrose too for the exact reason @Bastet said above.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was thinking to myself, if I were stuck in a house for an extended period of time, who would I rather be stuck in the house with, Ambrose or Adrian?

Does this include being assistant-consultant on Monk's crime-solving? Because that might be kind of cool. If Stottlemeyer and Randy brought over the case files and crime scene photos I could live out my Nancy Drew fantasies.

Though @Bastet makes an excellent point about Ambrose. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Does this include being assistant-consultant on Monk's crime-solving? Because that might be kind of cool. If Stottlemeyer and Randy brought over the case files and crime scene photos I could live out my Nancy Drew fantasies.

LOL, right? My thoughts exactly :D. 

I'm a total homebody sort, so I too would fit in just fine with Ambrose. But Monk might get me out of the house a little more often when needed, so.... Plus, the stuffiness of the house might get to me after a while. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2015 at 4:48 AM, amensisterfriend said:

I'm also loving Ambrose, especially as he wasn't used too frequently. He was not only amusing but added depth to Monk's character for me.

I love Ambrose!!!! I wish I had seen him more as well.

"Going out on dates... Going out on Dates With Women! At twenty-six years of age!!!!"

 

On 3/23/2015 at 6:01 AM, random chance said:

Considering how long it ran, I thought it was quite a feat that it stayed as fresh as it did. 

One of the things I loved about the show.  They stuck to the original formula for eight seasons and kept it interesting!

 

Andrew McCarthy as the bad guy was great, although he was my teen celebrity crush! I love how Monk outsmarted him, and also Patrick Kloster (Mr Monk and The Genius).  I mean, Monk (and Ambrose) is a genius too.

 

On 3/23/2015 at 10:55 PM, cincivic said:

"You can't clean nature with nature!".

"Nature Dirty!!!"

 

Also, I was impressed with Julie and Benjy.  They were both really kind, decent and great kids.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I love Ambrose!!!! I wish I had seen him more as well.

"Going out on dates... Going out on Dates With Women! At twenty-six years of age!!!!"

I love Sharona's reaction to that, and Ambrose's list of all the other things Monk was doing that he wasn't. "...he's a regular Evil Knievel!"

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

Also, I was impressed with Julie and Benjy.  They were both really kind, decent and great kids.

Yes, Julie and Benjy were "really kind, decent and great kids" but also believable, because they sometimes laughed a little at Monk, but not in mean ways, and they sometimes rebelled against their moms, but not too much.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

S4-E6 Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk.

I hated this episode with a passion.  Natalie should have asked Stottlemeyer to investigate to make sure Trudy was alive, and told nothing to Monk about it.  Natalie has been around long enough to know that it doesn't take much for Monk to spiral.

And don't get me started on Disher who acted like a complete jerk throughout the episode.  And if he hadn't whined at the end of the episode, because he wasn't "the man", there could have been a really good chance that they would have gotten to the storage unit much sooner. Perhaps the fake Trudy wouldn't have been shot, and killed.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Natalie should have asked Stottlemeyer to investigate to make sure Trudy was alive, and told nothing to Monk about it.  Natalie has been around long enough to know that it doesn't take much for Monk to spiral.

I can understand her desire to tell him in and of itself, both because, as she notes, she'd want someone to do the same if it were Mitch, and also because if Leland was investigating it, no matter how careful he was, chances are Monk probably would've noticed something was up eventually anyway, or found out some other way what was going on (especially if he happened to encounter her himself when out and about somewhere, the way Natalie had). So maybe she figured it was better he was in on the details right away as a result, painful though it would be for him. 

But even so, fair point that they could've at least tried to wait to let him in on the details until they knew for certain one way or another who this woman was. If it was Trudy, then they could've figured out how to tell him and gone from there, if it wasn't, well, then, Monk wouldn't know and all would've been fine. 

I do agree that Randy's resentment bit didn't help matters. I don't blame him for feeling hurt when Leland clarified who he was really talking about, but yeah, maybe wait on dealing with that part of things until after the case is over. 

I do personally still like the episode, though, just 'cause it is interesting to see how everyone deals with the possibility of Trudy being alive (highly unlikely though the possibility would be, sure, but hey, then again, weirder things have happened in the real world on that front, so...). And I like the bit where Monk explains to Natalie how he knew this woman wasn't Trudy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size