Type keyword(s) to search

Monk - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Did anyone watch "Monk-The End, Parts 1 & 2" yesterday?  I did and cried like a baby.  What a great series!  Here's an article about it:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-monk-idUSTRE5B60YM20091207

Only one thing bothered me about the show and that was Randy Newman singing the theme song from Season 2 to the end.  I just can't stand his voice, but the song itself (music) is great.  However, I actually loved his "We're gonna miss you" song he wrote for the ending, coinciding with the montage of clips from the show throughout its 8-yr. run.  Very well-done. 

Yes, I saw it myself for the first time yesterday, although I have seen many of the episodes previously!  I completely enjoyed the closure at the end, and the final montage.

But I have to gripe about some of the plot holes in the finale -- Trudy thought her baby had died, so why would the judge contact her and *kill* her to shut her up twelve years ago, fifteen years after the birth?  He had to know she was married to a detective by then, and you would think he would avoid drawing any attention to himself.  And he *hired* underworld characters to carry it all out!  That only draws attention to something that was long over.  And how did the judge know that Trudy had not told others, including her husband, about the affair and baby?  And why did the judge say "take care of her" right before he killed himself?  The "baby" was 26 years old and had been adopted years ago -- even if he knew where she was, it was not like the judge was taking care of her -- she had adoptive parents. 

I was so pleased that Natalie came back to work for Monk again, although her music promoter job suited Natalie's brand of cool.  And it was lovely to see tiny Julie and her goldfish again in the montage, and realize how much she had grown up on five seasons of her appearances.

But it was a good conclusion for Monk himself -- I am very fond of the character.

• Love 3

jjj - I absolutely agree w/your post and about all the plot holes.  However, it was just a TV show & we're forced to suspend belief at times.  No matter, I think the writers did some great stuff in every season (not necessarily every episode).  Who did you like better: Natalie or Sharona?  BTW, I thought Sharona & Randy hooking up & him becoming a police chief wasn't very believable, either.  ha!

(edited)
1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

jjj - I absolutely agree w/your post and about all the plot holes.  However, it was just a TV show & we're forced to suspend belief at times.  No matter, I think the writers did some great stuff in every season (not necessarily every episode).  Who did you like better: Natalie or Sharona?  BTW, I thought Sharona & Randy hooking up & him becoming a police chief wasn't very believable, either.  ha!

I know, it is just television!  I have to say that I thought the final season would be a series of revelations that would lead to Trudy's murderer, rather than just in the final two episodes.  I am totally team Natalie, although I think Sharona was the right person for Monk in the early seasons.  I did like that she and Randy got together, as there had been little sparks along the way in the first two seasons.  In the weekend reruns, I just had seen the episode with the mobster family, where Randy finally played the audio recording of the guy Sharona had been dating (the guy said he "tells them what they want to hear").  And both she and Randy had a little moment there. 

I also noticed that Hallmark ramped up from two episodes per day, to three, and then four last week.  It was fun to watch at the gym when it was two episodes, but 3-4 a day was too much to follow! 

Here is an article with an update about Traylor Howard, who has essentially left acting for now.  The article is about her husband (they live in Atlanta), but talks about how they met and reconnected:  http://www.myajc.com/news/building-his-father-legacy/9WxnE7QnPsMN698a0XtBXI/ 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, tvaddict44 said:

Tomorrow - May 23 _ is my favorite episode, the one with Willie Nelson.  I think it's the second one of four, 2:00 central.  That final scene with him and Willie at Trudy's grave makes me cry every single time.

I completely agree -- and I had planned to come here to say that I think that is probably my favorite moment in the series, when they just look at each other and Monk (or maybe Shaloub!) impulsively reaches out to press his shoulder.  It is so sweet, and so real. 

I just noticed that the entire series is now available on Xfinity (Comcast) via Streampix.  This makes me think it might be coming to the other streaming services again (I forget if it had been on Hulu or Netflix previously, but one of those a few years ago). 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/15/2017 at 6:52 PM, Maizie131 said:

I never grew tired of hearing about Trudy, but must admit 12 years is far too long to grieve so terribly...but I rationalized that here's Monk - a celebrated detective who always gets the bad guy - and he couldn't even solve his own wife's murder.    There was at least one episode where he seriously fell in "like" with a woman - the dancer from Russia who allegedly killed a cab driver.  That was a great one, too! 

My Dad has been gone for 18 years, and we all still grieve in the same way Monk did.  He was our hero, and there is now a hole in our family.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 5

I didn't mind Monk not getting over Trudy, but I wasn't thrilled with how Trudy's story unfolded. It felt too much. Like, she couldn't just have died, which is bad enough, but I didn't like the soap opera twist. She was also tangled up in all that Dale the Whale stuff which I hated. So I wish Trudy had been the love of his life who died, rather than some big murder mystery that had a ridiculous soap opera ending.

• Love 1

Or come up with murder mystery that made sense. Its one of the reasons why I hate one murder mystery lasting an entire series because they never end up making any sense. In the end it really didn't make any sense as to why Trudy was murdered. After the first season they really should have worked out the details of Trudy's murder and sprinkled them into each season. 

• Love 2
On 6/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, andromeda331 said:

Or come up with murder mystery that made sense. Its one of the reasons why I hate one murder mystery lasting an entire series because they never end up making any sense. In the end it really didn't make any sense as to why Trudy was murdered. After the first season they really should have worked out the details of Trudy's murder and sprinkled them into each season. 

It really didn't make sense. I get that her murder was the one that Monk couldn't solve and that's what drove him but I would have liked a better explanation than the one they came up with. The writers really seemed to be phoning it in that last season.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It really didn't make sense. I get that her murder was the one that Monk couldn't solve and that's what drove him but I would have liked a better explanation than the one they came up with. The writers really seemed to be phoning it in that last season.

Exactly, in the end there really wasn't a reason why Monk shouldn't have been able to solve. True he didn't have information but compared to some of the more complicated cases he figured out every week? They should have had a better explanation.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Exactly, in the end there really wasn't a reason why Monk shouldn't have been able to solve.

The only reason I can think of is that the writers made it up during a drinking binge a few days before they filmed the episode. Seriously, there was no clues dropped along the way, nothing to show they didn't just pull the answer out of their asses at the last minute. In the end, unless I'm misremembering, it had nothing to do with Dale the Whale, nothing to do with her being a reporter. There was no way Monk could have seen that stupid twist coming.

• Love 4

Well, it had to do with her being a reporter in the sense that the Judge was afraid she would leak the past history of the child.  Which was stupid, because she had been quiet for so many years -- and certainly could have told her husband.  The murder only would work if he knew she had never told anyone.  (And seriously, with her loving close family in the same state, how could she have kept away from them for the length of a pregnancy?)  And the Dale the Whale connection was flimsy, but it was his attempt to frame Monk for the murder of the six-fingered man that led to finding some papers related to "the Judge".  But that was a throwaway line at the end of an episode.  I agree they should have sprinkled clues through the series better.  I was so disappointed in the final season, which I assumed would gradually lead him to solving the case.  Nope, not until the final two-part episode. 

Oh, well, at least we have seasons 1-4 to enjoy!  Over and over, apparently, on Hallmark and Streampix.  For now. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, Mabinogia said:

The only reason I can think of is that the writers made it up during a drinking binge a few days before they filmed the episode. Seriously, there was no clues dropped along the way, nothing to show they didn't just pull the answer out of their asses at the last minute. In the end, unless I'm misremembering, it had nothing to do with Dale the Whale, nothing to do with her being a reporter. There was no way Monk could have seen that stupid twist coming.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, andromeda331 said:

Exactly, in the end there really wasn't a reason why Monk shouldn't have been able to solve. True he didn't have information but compared to some of the more complicated cases he figured out every week? They should have had a better explanation.

• Love 1

Get ready to settle down on your big leather sofa, put your feet up on the Mission-style coffee table and grab a few bottles of spring water to be ready for the Monk-a-thon airing on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel starting at 9:00am Saturday morning, July 1st. 

It's supposed to last all day, so I'm having a chicken pot pie ready too. Enjoy!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm watching two dogs at my house who hate each other and must be kept separate so I am home the entire day (tomorrow we go to my cottage where I'll have other relatives available to keep them occupied!) 

I love these occasional marathons where I try to predict how many of my favorites they'll show. This Saturday features four of them:  

1) Mr. Monk and the Actor.  A more complicated plot than I would have expected.

2)  Mr. Monk Makes a Friend.  I feel for him and his delight that he has a friend, a FRIEND.  

3) Mr. Monk Gets a New Shrink.  I always love the scenes of Monk and Harold outside Dr. Kroger's house ... 

4) Mr. Monk Is At Your Service. I love Monk's zeal in becoming the perfect butler.

I wish they'd have a couple of these marathons with a theme ... Monk/Sharona, Monk/Captain, Monk Goes Undercover, Monk Travels etc. 

For the Sharona episodes:

1) Monk and Sharona get married (Jane Lynch! the tent in the bedroom!)

2) Sharona Cries Wolf with the incomparable Niecy Nash ...

3) Mr. Monk Goes to the Theater with Sharona's mother and sister

4) Mr. Monk and the Earthquake with Amy Sedaris ...

Captain episodes:

1) Bad Girlfriend

2) Mr. Monk and the Miracle (where Leland joins the monastery!)

4) The captain's marriage (where he moves in with Monk)

5) Mr. Monk is the Best Man

Undercover:

1) Monk Goes to the Asylum

2) Monk Plays the Contract Killer

3) Monk is the Substitute Teacher

4) Monk goes to the Office

Travels:

1)  Plane ride. Possibly the best episode ever.  

2) Hides Out at the Cabin

3) Goes to Las Vegas

4) Goes to Natalie's brother's wedding

Thank you, Hallmark!

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 5

I understand why people would feel that way about Monk's obsession with Trudy, but I think it's more fitting to his character and I actually liked that he found it impossible to move on.  I wouldn't want people to feel badly about a deceased loved one, but people always talk about moving on, moving on, well, they never really talk about how to handle situations when you simply can't.  Also, for someone like Monk who has a perfect memory, it's even more difficult to do so because everyday is like how it was when it happened, which is fresh in your mind.  It would be frustrating to see someone unable to move past the death of a spouse, but Trudy is the only person in his life who accepted him for who he was and even when she knew, she didn't leave.

• Love 4

Sharona!  I love watching the Marathons.  Sharona was a litter harsher towards him, but she also was very protective of him.  If you watch the pilot episodes and some of those afterwards she always stood up for him and did not allow others to talk down to him. She was also very encouraging in some ways.  I feel like earlier episodes were played for less comedy, and I liked the more crime solving aspects of it.  Over the years it became more about amplifying his quirks and it lost something.  I still love the show, but I for one thought it was a better show when the Captain was more hard nose and Sharona was pushing Monk more.   I do understand the Trudy aspect, but I would also have liked to see him getting on with his life without her, and not just in the final episode. 

• Love 2

I've been enjoying the marathons too. I loved the Sharona/Monk dynamic. I feel like she and Stottlemeyer were Monks only friends. I never really felt Natalie was his close friend in the way Sharona was. She was his best friend. What was best was that the relationship was built over time. I was just watching a season 3 ep, forget which, where Sharona sat next to him and put her hand on his. He didn't flinch or make a face, nothing. It is something that would have freaked him out in season 1. 

I did like, with the episode with both Sharona and Natalie, that Natalie acknowledged that Sharona had such a huge impact on Monk and made him the man he became, someone she could now handle. Monk and Sharona went through a lot together, and theirs is one of my all time favorite platonic male/female friendships on television. I just wish she'd stuck around longer. 

• Love 3

I really like both Sharona and Natalie. I assumed I'd like Natalie best because I started watching Monk when she was on. My first episode was her very first episode. When I saw the Sharona episodes I liked them too. Just as much as the Natalie ones. There's so many in both that are my favorite that I can't chose. Same with Benji and Julie. I really liked both kids.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same with Benji and Julie. I really liked both kids.  

I did really like both kids, which is impressive since I'm not often a fan of kids on TV. I think they both had good relationships with Monk. I'm partial to Julie because that's my name. lol but both kids were great.

• Love 1

For me, it's one of those rare ties in decision making.  Bitty did a great job as Sharona in what ended up being a short time.  When it came time, Traylor fitted in nicely.  She didn't mimic Sharona completely, and at the same didn't do anything better or worse.  Both showed compassion towards both Adrian and at times the case if it involved something he wasn't fully committed to for whatever reason. 

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, maggiemae said:

Monk is also on WEtv on Saturdays. 

It's on Sundays now, and I've been recording and re-watching a number of episodes.  The picture quality on WEtv is much better than for the episodes I've recorded off the Hallmark channel.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:35 AM, Bridget said:

All seasons of "Monk" are now available via streaming (and they're all free) on Amazon Prime!

Well, golly, I'll have to see if that's still the case almost 6 months later.  Thanks!

Also, color me among those who hated the resolution of Trudy's murder.  I thought that storyline was insulting to her character.  And the payoff of Monk meeting Trudy's daughter was not enough of a payoff to overcome that, for me.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 2:27 PM, Bastet said:

My hands-down favorite is the first one with Ambrose (Mr. Monk and the Three Pies).  No matter how many times I watch it, I start crying when Ambrose breaks down that it's his fault Trudy died (even though the whole "she was going to get me cough medicine" thing doesn't fit with the primary narrative of that day, I don't care) and Adrian realizes that's why Ambrose had stayed away - out of guilt.

I also love the one where Monk goes to L.A. to help his father-in-law figure out how the contestant is cheating on his game show.  Even the annoying Kevin can't detract from that one.

Stanley Tucci is fabulous, period.  Stanley Tucci as the method actor who becomes Adrian is perfection, so that's another favorite.

I'll watch just about any episode from the first five seasons.  After that, it just depends on the episode and my mood.  The Sharona seasons are my favorite (although I really like Natalie as well). 

I love any episode when someone is nice to Monk. The game show episode and the college reunion episode are two of my favorites.

• Love 3

I loved the one where Sharona and Monk go to that couples retreat. Mainly because they didn't even hit at any kind of sexual tension between them like most shows would. It was fun watching them play hubby and wife knowing the show wasn't leading anywhere near there.

But yeah, the Ambrose confession of thinking he's the reason Trudy died and Monk realizing that's what kept him away was beautifully heartbreaking. I liked Ambrose.

I hated the ending to Trudy's story. Terrible. It highlighted, for me, how far this show had declined by the end.

I do still love the early seasons though. Monk on the airplane was fun, and the vacation one with the maids. I liked Monk slightly out of his element but not going too whacky. As the series progressed it became harder and harder to accept that this man could function at all.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I loved the one where Sharona and Monk go to that couples retreat. Mainly because they didn't even hit at any kind of sexual tension between them like most shows would. It was fun watching them play hubby and wife knowing the show wasn't leading anywhere near there.

But yeah, the Ambrose confession of thinking he's the reason Trudy died and Monk realizing that's what kept him away was beautifully heartbreaking. I liked Ambrose.

I hated the ending to Trudy's story. Terrible. It highlighted, for me, how far this show had declined by the end.

I do still love the early seasons though. Monk on the airplane was fun, and the vacation one with the maids. I liked Monk slightly out of his element but not going too whacky. As the series progressed it became harder and harder to accept that this man could function at all.

I liked that one too and Ambrose too. I wish they had had him on a couple more times. I hate the ending too. In the end it wasn't a big mystery that Monk couldn't solve or a detail he didn't miss. It was information he didn't have.  There was no way he could have figured it out. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

In the end it wasn't a big mystery that Monk couldn't solve or a detail he didn't miss. It was information he didn't have.  There was no way he could have figured it out.

That is the only thing I liked about the ending.

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

In the end it wasn't a big mystery that Monk couldn't solve or a detail he didn't miss. It was information he didn't have.  There was no way he could have figured it out. 

Oh, maybe that's why they did it. Because heaven forbid Monk just not be able to solve it because he was too attached to the case, no, it's got to be that he didn't have the information he needed so we'll just throw the most random thing out there so there's no way he could have guessed it. I think it would have been more interesting if Monk had all the pieces but couldn't put them together because one of those pieces maybe didn't fit with the perfect image he projected onto his wife. Like, maybe she did something careless that made her a target but Monk can't bring himself to see her as anything less than perfect and refused to believe she would do something careless. We often paint the people we love, after they die, in the best possible light, so it would have made sense and been kind of tragic as well. The end we got was just...slapped on.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Oh, maybe that's why they did it. Because heaven forbid Monk just not be able to solve it because he was too attached to the case, no, it's got to be that he didn't have the information he needed so we'll just throw the most random thing out there so there's no way he could have guessed it. I think it would have been more interesting if Monk had all the pieces but couldn't put them together because one of those pieces maybe didn't fit with the perfect image he projected onto his wife. Like, maybe she did something careless that made her a target but Monk can't bring himself to see her as anything less than perfect and refused to believe she would do something careless. We often paint the people we love, after they die, in the best possible light, so it would have made sense and been kind of tragic as well. The end we got was just...slapped on.

That would have made more sense then what happened and he would have the clues. He had zero clues that would have lead him that would have lead him to the truth. We see how much Monk put his wife on a pedestal. Which makes sense giving his crappy life and how much he loved her. It would be very hard for him to accept she wasn't perfect. He wouldn't want anything to ruin his image of her. 

• Love 2

Count me in with everyone who didn't like the resolution of Trudy's murder. It was compltely out of the blue. I find that whn tv series have arcs that extent over a few seasons the results are usually disapointing and random eg Jack from Profiler, Red John from the Mentalist. The same applies for Trudy's murder. 

I feel sorry for Monk and Ambrose - what sad childhoods they must have had - no wonder they're the way they are. One thing I noticed about Monk is tht evn though he is often inconsiderate of other people, clueless and basically lives in his own little world, he never irritates me (unlike Sheldon from Big Bang Theory who irritates me to no end) and I think it's because Monk does ultimately care about people (it's just that his grief is so big that that's all he can think about) and he never does things out of spite. Having said that, it would be quite frustrating to live with someone like Monk.

Some of my favourite ongoing things in the series: first of all the Captain. I love the Captain. We can all sympathise with him; on the one hand Monk is his friend and he cares about him but on the other hand, he does get very frustrated with Monk. I paticularly love the Monk/Captain bromance moments. I also love Monk's interactions with Dr Kroeger. Everytime Monk gets that look on his face and then utters those infamous words "Here's what happened..." I smile.

Does it bother anyone else that Monk ran for eight seasons? This is Monk we're talking about, it should have been ten seasons - ten is a nice, round number just like he likes.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Based on the flashback episodes I think he always had OCD but losing Trudy caused Monk to be severely depressed. I wondered why no one mentioned his OCD as the reason for some of his rudeness for example why he never shook hands. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, christie said:

Does it bother anyone else that Monk ran for eight seasons? This is Monk we're talking about, it should have been ten seasons - ten is a nice, round number just like he likes.

But 8 is a perfect cube.

• Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s a mathematical concept. 8 is a perfect cube because 2x2x2=8.

Ah! I should have distinguished the phrase "perfect cube" from the term cube.

Anyway, Monk would definitely have wanted to have 10 seasons (because "10 is such a nice, round number") but Tony Shaloub may have been happy to move on to other pursuits. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

One of my favorite scenes between Monk and Capt. Stottlemeyer was when he was staying with him and kept straightening the coffee table.  Monk would move it back everytime.  I thought this was out of character for Monk until they showed at the end of the episode that Trudy always wanted it that way.

My favorite episode, although I liked all of them, has to be, "Happy Birthday Mr. Monk".  Trying to give him a surprise party would be a hard thing to do.

• Love 4

The interactions between Monk and Harold Crenshaw were my favorites.  I think the best of all was in the episode with the election.  Monk and the Captain were interviewing Harold as a suspect in the shooting.  Monk and Harold get in a fierce argument about how to arrange the donuts in a box, both in slightly different ways reflecting their slightly different flavors of OCD.  Then a frustrated Captain crushes the entire box into "one big donut".

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

This is kind of last minute since Prime Day is about to end and already 92% of the box sets were sold but the full series of Monk is available on DVD for $30.00 (compared to $100).

But hey, someone might catch this in 2 hours and want to order it.

https://www.amazon.com/Monk-Complete-Tony-Shalhoub/dp/B01IP2X73G/ref=gbps_img_m-8_b1a1_92babbbc?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1e60991e-bcf0-4d90-9cff-cbc52236b1a1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=13887280011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=P53P46R900WPEG9NMDCW

Very early on, for better or worse, but then I tend to dislike ongoing or overarching plot lines anyway. Monk, methinks, is at is best in its one-off mysteries—the character interactions and the stories are better.

• Love 1

I guess I’m going against the grain, but I far preferred Natalie. Sharona can be fun at times, but Bitty Schram tended to play her as so annoying and obnoxious. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I think the Sharona episodes, though, tend to hold up better than the Natalie ones! What am I to do?

• Love 1

I liked that Natalie pushed Monk to pay for supplies like his wipes and to get a contract with the police. I liked that she was not another nurse, but more of an assistant. Sharona was more of a "character", but with Monk being so over the top, I found Natalie to be a good "straight man" balance.

Sharona was more entertaining, but I'd rather work with someone like Natalie.

• Love 2
On 7/31/2018 at 12:01 PM, Salzmank said:

I guess I’m going against the grain, but I far preferred Natalie. Sharona can be fun at times, but Bitty Schram tended to play her as so annoying and obnoxious. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I think the Sharona episodes, though, tend to hold up better than the Natalie ones! What am I to do?

I agree with the first part, Sharona was so annoying to me. Like when she was going out with a mayor candidate and she completely ignored Monk the whole time since she had all of that attention on her. She completely annoys me and I tend to find myself yelling at her when I watch the episodes with her.

With the episodes with Natalie, sure there are a few aimed only on her, but I feel as if she made Monk laugh more (You know, Monk's form of laughter) and open up more. He took more risks and looked less like he was going to cry (which I have to admit, I find absolutely adorable). He was able to handle things better and she helped him get over his therapist's death as well as she could. Of course, I would feel that way since she's my favourite.

Edited by TvFanaticoh
  • Love 3

I was watching Numb3rs on H&I today, I'm enjoying their new daytime schedule. But I don't watch tv by watching the screen, I listen while I do other things and glance at the screen now and then. I think I heard Monk theme music a couple of times and the last time, by the time it dawned on me what the music was and I looked at the screen, all I saw were some hands straightening out some paper. I think I heard coming soon. So, does anyone know if Monk is coming to H&I? I looked on their site, they're usually slow updating the website with changes they are making. They just stopped showing Hill Street Blues and replaced it with Numb3rs. I was ok with that, I love Hill Street Blues, but I'm ready for a break. Wish they would put The Commish on hiatus for about 10 years. Of their new daytime line-up, the only place I see a spot is replacing NYPD Blue with Monk. And even though I've seen NYPD about 4 cycles through, I don't think I'm ready to give up Sipowitz and crew.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, friendperidot said:

I don't watch tv by watching the screen, I listen while I do other things and glance at the screen now and then.

I've been enjoying season 1 in the background this morning on H&I.

I forgot/didn't realize that the Captain and Monk were not "friends" at the beginning of the series.

• Love 3