Type keyword(s) to search

Leave It To Beaver - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

My money would be on Lumpy for Most Likely to be Left Back.

Funny thing about that is Frank Bank, who played Lumpy, was very successful.

More to the point, his interviews showed him to by happy and well adjusted after leaving acting.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Like 1

The show has a different feel to it in the early episodes. Ward isn't all buttoned up in a suit and tie. He wears casual shirts unbuttoned at the top. The Pilot perpetuated the incorrect naming of Smokey Bear as Smokey the Bear. I've read the second episode "Captain Jack" where the boys get a baby alligator was supposed to be the Pilot, but network execs were concerned about showing a toilet on tv. 😅

• LOL 2

I was reading the Wikipedia article on the show, and they mentioned that in the first season Hugh Beaumont did a voice over outlining what the episode was about, and that when tvland aired the reruns they edited that intro out. I see that fetv is doing the same thing. Got to get those extra commercials in!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/18/2023 at 11:03 AM, chessiegal said:

fetv ran an episode this morning with Eddie Haskell teaching Beaver to tell his new friend whose native language is Spanish that his face looked like a pig. What were the writers thinking? That was horrible.

They were think that Eddie Haskell was a piece of crap.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

They were think that Eddie Haskell was a piece of crap.

They showed that over and over during the series, but that incident was unnecessary. Totally cruel and insensitive. Way to promote prejudice. Is that the way Americans were in the 60s?

I watched an episode this morning where Beaver and Larry gave $3 of class cookie money to a lying older boy. Wally's science teacher says he's going to take some of the boys to Mexico for the summer. In the end, kids are acting up in class, and the teacher cancels the Mexico trip, saying he wouldn't even take them to a dog fight. OUCH!! The episode aired in 1959. What were the writers thinking??

ETA: Maybe the writers were thinking he was so mad, he wouldn't take them to something as awful as a dog fight. I think I'll stay with that interpretation.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Mind Blown 1
On 9/21/2023 at 2:39 PM, chessiegal said:

Way to promote prejudice. Is that the way Americans were in the 60s

That is one side of the show I find a bit disappointing.  Also the chauvinism played for laughs.

An example is when Wally and Beaver went to play at a friend's house and Beaver says,  "There are two sisters, but they beat it when we threw water at them."

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Fire 1

I've given this bad word thing way too much thought. Poking around I found someone who said they've tried reading Beaver's lips with no success. That got me thinking that the show runners wouldn't have young Jerry Mathers using swear words or obscenity in the script and had him say something innocuous, and the mysterious bad word was meant to never be revealed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't understand money on this show. In the episode where Beaver wants an increase in allowance that includes joining a record club, his list of the needs includes a protractor, notebook, and gym socks. First, those are expenses that would not happen weekly, or even monthly. Second, why would a kid be expected to pay for items like that out of his allowance? Those are expenses the parents should take care of. In the episode where Wally buys a car, Wally says it will save money, as Wally can drive Beaver to school and not to have to pay bus fare. They show a typical public school bus in another episode. I don't know anyone who had to pay for using a public school bus. Neither my husband nor I did. 

• Like 1