Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Leave It To Beaver

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it just me or did the Beav kind of turn into a real dick toward the end of the series?

I did think Beav was a jerk towards the end of the series but he didn't think to use his head. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it just me or did the Beav kind of turn into a real dick toward the end of the series?

Agree 100 percent.  He was basically a jerk.

• Like 2

The more I watch the reruns of the early shows the more I think Wally sounds like a gangster.  He sounds very nasal and that combined with his delivery style has me wanting to hear him say "you dirty rat"!

• Laugh 3

On 3/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, peacheslatour said:

The problem was they kept writing Beaver as if he was still a little kid instead of a teenager.  And the things that were cute when he said them as a kid were just awkward or annoying when he tried to say the same lines as a teenager.

• Like 5

On 4/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, LucyEth said:

The more I watch the reruns of the early shows the more I think Wally sounds like a gangster.  He sounds very nasal and that combined with his delivery style has me wanting to hear him say "you dirty rat"!

That's true!

Lucky for Tony Dow that he aged very well through his teenage years, and seemed to skip that "awkward stage" that we saw with Jerry Mathers. 

• Like 3

As the show went on Beaver's storylines were awful, he was obnoxious.  I liked Wally and his group of friends much better.  The only friend of Beaver I liked was Larry.  As the show went on they should have changed the name to the "The Cleavers".

• Like 1

I agree about Beaver's friends.  Especially Richard and Gilbert:  They were often, as Beav would put it: "Rats."

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

4 hours ago, Wavy said:

I agree about Beaver's friends.  Especially Richard and Gilbert:  They were often, as Beav would put it: "Rats."

They were all little creeps and the Beav was always getting into trouble with them. He did whatever they told him to do when he should have stood up to them. But then I guess we wouldn't have all the hijinks.

• Like 3

Today I saw one of my favorite episodes "The Grass is Always Greener" where Beaver and Wally hang out with the garbage man's kids.  June is so snobby about what Beaver did over their house and how the mom let them do things like jumping on old mattress springs that she did not approve.  It has such a sweet message.  The end is especially good.

June was a bit of a snob with her Aunt Martha and being a Bronson nonsense .  Also her cracks about Larry eating over and Eddie not being good enough for Wally.

• Like 4

June was a bit of a snob with her Aunt Martha and being a Bronson nonsense .  Also her cracks about Larry eating over and Eddie not being good enough for Wally.

June seems to have had a very sheltered upbringing. She was really naive about a lot of things. It always bugs me how she acts like everything the boys do is completely unheard of. Ward was a lot more down to earth. Also she acted like she;d never read a book, listened to any music or seen a movie. If I were Ward she would have bored me to death. But to be fair,  Eddie wasn't good enough for Wally.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

June seems to have had a very sheltered upbringing. She was really naive about a lot of things. ... Also she acted like she;d never read a book, listened to any music or seen a movie.

I was thinking June went to college, so I looked it up and she did.  Here's an interesting article about the character:

https://www.womenshistory.org/articles/defense-june-cleaver

I posted this upthread, concluding that June's still waters ran deep:

And June talking about her days in boarding school, and how she was captain of her class's basketball team, to Wally's utter astonishment.  Or the time she was sitting in the living room listening to a record, and Wally walked in and wanted to know what in the world she was doing, and she mentioned seeing that opera in New York City. 

On 5/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, LucyEth said:

June was a bit of a snob with her Aunt Martha and being a Bronson nonsense .

I think she comes by her snobbery honestly, but more important, she has good manners, so the people she might look down on don't know it.  Works for me.

And according to Wikipedia, Ward was a farmer's son and she married him.  So I think she was brought up a certain way and can't shake aspects of it, but seems to do a good job of managing it.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:11 PM, LucyEth said:

June is so snobby about what Beaver did over their house and how the mom let them do things like jumping on old mattress springs that she did not approve.  It has such a sweet message.  The end is especially good.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, peacheslatour said:

June seems to have had a very sheltered upbringing. She was really naive about a lot of things

On 5/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

So I think she was brought up a certain way and can't shake aspects of it, but seems to do a good job of managing it.

This is where the show had to walk a fine line.  The producers and writers have stated that their job was to set an example of how to parent children in the newly prosperous 1950's.  I think they did a great job of that.

But they left many people out:

Ward had a good, steady job with solid benefits.  But what about a person who's job went away, through no fault of their own?

June was in good health, and had plenty of time to keep herself looking nice and taking care of the family.  But what about women who have health issues and need extra help?

The boys excelled in school and only needed gentle nudges to complete their homework.  But what about kids with learning disabilities?  

Watching the show, you wouldn't think that people like that existed.

Yeah, the fifties were not that great unless you were white, middle or upper class, Christian heterosexuals.

I was just watching Beaver's Hero. Turns out Ward was a philosophy major. How do you get an engineering degree being a philosophy major?

He was a dual major?  Or

He has 2 degrees? Or 

The show did not keep track of stuff like this well?

• Like 1

There were a lot of episodes where Beaver and a friend or friends decided to to things together and he was the only one who did it and got in trouble or was left looking foolish.  The sweatshirt with the crazy monsters on it, the not wearing a suit and tie to the sports award dinners, today's episode with the polar bear sweater, making the face in the school picture. I am sure there are more, I just can't think of them.   As recurring storyline for sure.  

• Like 2

Oh and another recurring storyline.  Beaver and pets.  The monkey, the alligator, the dog, the horse the burro, the rabbit, pigeons.  

• Like 1

Didn’t the boys discover that their mother was in show business when she was young?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 1:51 PM, TheLastKidPicked said:

The ironic thing is that the actor who played Gilbert went on to become a serious journalist, who reported for Frontline and other PBS shows and is married to a medical social worker.

Completely opposite of how we would imagine Gilbert would have grown up.

That's right, just as Ken "Eddie Haskell" Osmond became a cop in real life!! I think he had retired from police work by the time the revival series came on in the mid-80s. His two real life sons played Eddie's sons on the show.

• Useful 1