Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Tapas

• Start Topic

I took my mother to Gordon Ramsey's new Pub and Ale House in Atlantic City, NJ this weekend. The waitress sold me on the Ramsey Burger. It was a beef burger on a Brioche bun that was topped with the most STUNNING fried onion rings and the most AMAZING grilled jalepeno and a bit of mashed avacados.

It was a really good burger. Loved it, and I'd get it again next time I'm in AC. My mom had the split pea and ham soup. She wasn't wowed. There was a garnish of ham on top of th soup but none actually cooked into the soup.

I was pissed because the waitress told us we had just missed Gordon by an hour.ARRGH!! She described him as a tall drink of water, pretty good looking and very charming. Said he had his bulldog with him as well.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 1

Hubby's birthday is in March.  We've just made reservations to have his birthday dinner at the Hell's Kitchen Restaurant in Las Vegas.  We've done all the other Ramsay restaurants there, so we opted to try out the new one, too.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2014 at 11:21 PM, TheBitchyWife said:

Where do they find these people?  Are they actors or real cooks?  Do they just exaggerate their idiocy and emotional outbursts?  This is the first season I've watched in a few years - I like a few contestants and dislike many many more, but that's the norm for this show in the beginning.  I was happy the whispering chick left today though, she was more annoying than most.

I think they just fuck with the contestants and start a whole bunch of drama just to boost ratings but a lot of it has to be edited to make them look a bit out of sorts. 

I've been streaming previous seasons on the Roku Channel. Season Four has to be one of the worst. Most of the contestant were extremely unlikable. Christina won by default because she was the best of the worst.

I'm putting this here because it doesn't have to do with the show, but it does with Gordon.

Nothing like working from home to lead me to find other programs to watch. I was just reading up on Gordon and found that he had a documentary--Gordon's Great Escape

The first three episodes are of him traveling to Northern India, Northeastern India, then down to Bombay and further south. It's SO NICE to see a smiling, joking, funny, charming Gordon. And he's not an arrogant arsehole, either. He's quite the eager student. And doesn't turn his nose at what he's being told/taught. Though I have to admit, I was grossed out by the...delicacies in the Northeastern region of my country. BLECH. Think, Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom, monkey brains

I'm just finishing up on the third episode, where he's in Bombay (I refuse to call it Mumbai, because this and Calcutta (Kolkata) have been changed so many, many times, back and forth, that I'm sticking to what I learned to call them as a kid, teen, young adult, adult. Dammit!) where he's told no one eats non-vegetarian. Which is a total lie, but done to show Gordon the many wonderful vegetarian and south vegetarian dishes are, like Dosas, idli, sambar, uttapam.

I did snerk at the opening credit tag--so very Bollywood!

The other three episodes are of him in Vietnam and Thalland, I believe.

It's available on youtube.

• Love 1

This was great. And Gordon proved that he can laugh at himself and is a good sport.

However. The cynic in me wonders if all those other chefs/cooks/people he met really didn't know how to speak English. Why? Because English is understood by many. I would venture to say, maybe not in the most rural of areas, but in New Delhi? Please.

And considering how sacred the cow is to India, I found it shocking to learn that in Kerala, they cooked beef! BEEF!!!! I'm going to have to ask my dad about that.

This trip had to be between season two and three, or three and four of Hell's Kitchen.

Gordon was very respectful of the culture, even when he didn't agree with some of the things that were explained to him.

So now I have to see if I can watch this season? Last season's Master Chef, because one of the contestants is Indian, and I want to see if Subha cooked any Indian dishes, and if so, what Gordon had to say. Hee.