Type keyword(s) to search

Storage Wars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'd like a replacement for Barry, not Dave. Barry acted like these were the auctions that they really are, not pissing contests. With his expendable income, his fun approach often made the professionals look like petty little fools. I could relate to him. I'd love to spend money to make blowhards like Darrel and Dave have a bad day. 

Also, if you have any valuable items in your storage  unit, why in the hell wouldn't you get it out and sell it ?

I saw a Frontline on PBS about four poor families. One family had been enjoying good times in the recent past and bought as much stuff as they could afford and then some. When they hit bad times, they lost their house and threw their valuables into a storage locker. They knew they would be safe there until the good times started rolling again. That never happened and they were stuck with a storage locker fee they couldn't pay. The agreement they signed said that if they didn't pay the bill, they would lose ownership of the contents and that's what happened. Of course the family never ever thought they wouldn't be able to pay the storage locker fee.

The lockers that bother me are the ones that have tons of brand new retail merchandise still unopened in boxes and clothes with the price tags still on them. This is almost certainly stolen  merchandise that the thief was planning to unload. They probably ended up in jail.

• Love 2

Jarod (I'm not sure how he spells it) wears only one brand of clothing. I understand he has a stake in the company. He gets free advertising. He's not the bright bulb in the  lamp so I hope he saves up some of the money he gets from the show. Brandi seems to be the smart one - how did she get involved with Jarod?

Jarod (I'm not sure how he spells it) wears only one brand of clothing. I understand he has a stake in the company. He gets free advertising. He's not the bright bulb in the  lamp so I hope he saves up some of the money he gets from the show. Brandi seems to be the smart one - how did she get involved with Jarod?

He was managing a strip club & she worked there. I don't believe they have ever said if she was a stripper or not.

Anyone see "Married to the Job" last night? Even if it was as producer-driven as most "reality" shows, I still thought it was kinda cute. Liked how Brandi called her son "Ooops Number1" and her daughter "Ooops Number 2".  

So the whole season seems like it's going to be built around their eventual, if not over-due, wedding.  Not an original concept, but still, I'll tune in. At least it'll have some structure, unlike the hot mess that was "Barry'd Treasure." Now, that was a disappointment.

I saw a Frontline on PBS about four poor families. One family had been enjoying good times in the recent past and bought as much stuff as they could afford and then some. When they hit bad times, they lost their house and threw their valuables into a storage locker. They knew they would be safe there until the good times started rolling again. That never happened and they were stuck with a storage locker fee they couldn't pay. The agreement they signed said that if they didn't pay the bill, they would lose ownership of the contents and that's what happened. Of course the family never ever thought they wouldn't be able to pay the storage locker fee.

The lockers that bother me are the ones that have tons of brand new retail merchandise still unopened in boxes and clothes with the price tags still on them. This is almost certainly stolen  merchandise that the thief was planning to unload. They probably ended up in jail.

From what I understand is once you don't pay for X number of months they change the locks and place your stuff up for auction.  I have family and friends who had to attend the auction to try to buy back their stuff that was being auctioned off.  My friend had to do this because she was in the middle of a divorce and her now ex-husband was supposed to be paying the rental fee, the day of the auction he called her and said your crap is being auctioned today.  The sad this is that "crap" included her children's baby photos and stuff like that.  She did not have the money to bid for her stuff and called the place to ask for a couple of days to get the back rent together.  They said once the lock is changed they place it for auction, period.  Thankfully her aunt went to the auction, bid and won her stuff for $400. 

Thanks to Dave, not watching any more. I'd rather not watch dicks get their way.

I've suddenly found Shipping Wars to be more interesting. There's some interesting problem solving involved in that show. 

They were desperately trying to make Mary happen in that last TX season  and I for one wasn't having it.  We all know the answer to "What kind of fool do you take me for?" when it comes to this franchise, but did they really think for a second that this script where nobody knew who she  was when she showed up was going to fly?  Even if they want to play-act that these people's profession is buying and reselling junk at storage auctions and not being reality TV actors, wouldn't it follow that they would watch TV shows about storage locker flipping?  Are they saying their TX flavor was so poor that even their own employees ignored it?

• Love 4

They were desperately trying to make Mary happen in that last TX season  and I for one wasn't having it.  We all know the answer to "What kind of fool do you take me for?" when it comes to this franchise, but did they really think for a second that this script where nobody knew who she  was when she showed up was going to fly?  Even if they want to play-act that these people's profession is buying and reselling junk at storage auctions and not being reality TV actors, wouldn't it follow that they would watch TV shows about storage locker flipping?  Are they saying their TX flavor was so poor that even their own employees ignored it?

Worst thing? She's in at least the next two episodes.

Megan, really. <sigh> With all the dramatics on the episode (not that it wasn't a serious situation), you'd think the title would be a tad more appropriate. Not necessarily  "The Show Where Dan Nearly Dies", but still...

smarlo, I know exactly what you mean, but I'm torn about Laura. I think she's a little too enthusiastic about acting out the show runners' suggestions (and as you said, her acting skills are not the best)  but during the moments that she's having unrehersed interactions with the bidders or Dan - and not playing to the camera - she seems quite warm and sweet. 

She's also made the effort to lose weight, and redo her hair; obviously, she wants to be portrayed as attractively as possible, as we all would want to be. But (and once again, I'm circling back to your view) it would be nice to hear her do her "Pay the Lady" tag line without the abundance of artificial flourish, for a change.

Like I said, I'm torn. <g>

I'm watching Brandi and Jarrod's new show and I like it OK. Is it the funniest ever? No, but I've watched worse and it's kind of cute. At first I was sort of "meh" and couldn't get into it, but the more episodes I watch the more I like it. Despite some obvious producer setups, I think the way the two interact with each other and their family/friends isn't an act, and they do seem genuine.

Brandi makes me laugh, even though her acting chops sort of suck, lol. I'll keep watching, but I'll DVR and watch when the mood hits . I enjoy the family interactions, the kids seem well-adjusted (so far), and just like on Storage Wars, Brandi and Jarrod bust each other's chops a lot.

• Love 1

Scorpio, I agree: there's far worse things to see on TV, and Brandi and Jarrod's interactions are fun to watch. And, yes, the kids seem surprisingly normal.

How many seasons will it take for us to see the actual wedding happen, do you think?

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1

I think it will have to be season 2. I don't know if I am willing to devote past that, Boston Gal, lol.  By the way, I don't have any new episodes coming up on my DVR schedule. I haven't yet watched the one from 9/30, but I am guessing that was the finale.

{ Side note: Brandi reminds me so much of a friend of mine who lives in another state. They have similar accents/hair style/color/shape/everything. They could almost be twins (my friend's green eyes and Brandi's ample bosom aside). }

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 1

How old is Mary? WTH is with her 'overthetop facial expressions?!  She seems to be totally into her "valley girl" thing.

She annoys the hell out of me, I wish they would get rid of her.

So, I guess the asshole (AKA Dave) is permanently back on the show. They even have him in a commercial. I watched one show with him & watching him be gleeful because Dan & Laura were having an argument was too much. He is not someone I love to hate, he is just someone I hate. I won't be watching any more episodes that Dave is in, & if he's in every episode, then I'm done with this show.

Also, how can Mary possibly think that what she did to that piece of furniture was "beautifying" it. It looked like crap when she was done. Is that really what she does with everything she buys?

My takeaway from the start of this season is that the Arts and Entertainment network thinks there is a segment of the population who can turn on a television set and have a cable subscription paid up who will think that Mary is an attractive and endearingly appealing woman and with his bluster and don't give a shit attitude Dave Hester is some kind of kool dude.  I can about buy a fat community college student who's moved into his "man" cave in Mom's basement for the first, but am completely blanking on picturing the face of the second.  But I know it's not me.

I just watched episode 11 (Palm Springs), & there was thankfully no Dave, but there was also no Brandi & Jarrod. I don't think I've ever seen an episode without Brandi & Jarrod, does anyone know why they weren't in this episode?

Why do they bother putting prices on anything any more? The show has lost all credibility in that respect; $40 for a dvd player that probably sold for $15-$20 new (that you don't even know works)? Much less Hester's fantasyland appraisals.

I think I appreciated Mary more as an alternative to having Dave in the episode.

• Love 1

Hands down favourite buyer is Brandi.  Least favourite right now is Mary.  I cannot stand that woman with her stupid giggles and her longwinded explanations of things everyone knows.  Really Mary?  Jukeboxes play music?  Good to know. 

Really Mary?  Jukeboxes play music?  Good to know.

The producers are trying to cater to younger viewers who may not know that; when was the last time you saw one (outside of a Happy Days rerun)? Don't forget the laugh she has that's just like an old Looney Tunes character.

I've watched SW since it started, but I'm starting to get tired of it.  Last night, they had 2 new episodes, and I was looking at my watch several times to see how much longer we had.  I miss Barry, but I think the main problem with the show for me is that I've seen it all at this point; there's really nothing new to do with the premise.  I think if last night had been my first time watching, I would have really enjoyed it, but since it was my (maybe) 100th episode, I was kind of bored.  (I feel the same about "Survivor"--it's not the show's fault; I've just moved on.)

I'm glad Dave is back, though, as he does bring a certain amount of fun to the proceedings.  He's a jerk, but he brings fun drama.  

I wish they'd cool it with the ridiculous "estimates" for how much everything is worth; a lot of these items aren't worth half of what they say they are.  Ivy is the only person on the show who seems to value items fairly reasonably, and I think that's only because he's still new to the show (his attempts at "humor" are the worst, though!).

Dave Hester and auctioneer Dan get in a fist fight during shoot

The brawl broke out Friday afternoon while the cast was shooting in Palm Springs. Dan Dotson was holding an auction when according to witnesses ... he missed a bid placed by Mary.

We're told producers asked Dave Hester to tell Dan about the mistake, but Dan initially ignored him. When Dave approached again ... Dan got heated and screamed, "F**k you, David! I'm going to kill you!"

That's when the melee erupted -- we're told Dave punched Dan in the face ... then Dan raked Dave's eye

Bet A&E hate they were basically forced to put Dave back on the show.

I stopped watching the show a while ago, but I'm all for anything that ends with Dave in the hospital. I hate that guy, in fact, the reason I stopped watching was because he was back on the show.

• Love 1

I used to know a quy who, whenever a woman was successful in the entertainment field and he couldn't figure out why, he'd say "wonder who she slept with".  Used to drive me crazy.  Now though I look at Mary and I think he may have been on to something.  Seriously, help me out  - what does this woman offer the show that makes the producers think she should be on it at all?  Sigh.  When Dave Hester starts looking good...

• Love 1