Type keyword(s) to search

Storage Wars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Darrell used to be my least favorite, but I think Jarod and Brandy have taken that slot.  Darrell is a buffoon and kind of a bully, but he seems to have a decent sense of humor about himself, and is really trying to entertain the viewers.  Jarod/Brandy come across as truly mean and unpleasant people.

When Dave "the Mogul" was on, he was a complete jerk, but you could tell he took the business seriously and tried to be a professional when not "doing battle" with his competitors.

Barry was just a fun and entertaining goofball.

Rene and Casey are trying to be a "nicer" version of Jarod/Brandy.  They seem a little fake to me, though, so I'm not really buying them.  They seem more like TV casting rather than actual storage room bidders/thrift store owners.

Ivy is a good addition to the show.  I like how he digs through the rooms he buys and explains in detail how each item or box of items is worth money and why.  I get the feeling his "estimates" are the closest actual values he could get in real life sales.

I'm glad those older twins aren't on the show this season.  They didn't know anything about the business and were just there to add "flavor" to the show.  They were kind of useless.

This show is just a shell of its former self. Or maybe, it's the same, but I've just grown tired of the bidders setting their own values to the utter crap they end up with. Still, I watch, because I'm too lazy to take it off my DVR,

What is the prevailing opinon on Barry'd Treasure? I'm hesitant to request a forum for it, because I truly believe I'm the only person that's tuning in week after week. I lurve Barry, I can't help it.

Ok, be honest, I can take it...I *am* the only one watching Barry's show, right?

I try to watch it, too, but I work nights, so I can't watch it live, and I've been having issues with my DVD recorder, so I haven't been able to see a full episode since the first one. When they get around to airing a marathon, though, I'm totally there.

Crazed Spruce, I hope it's around long enough for a marathon...it's a strange little show that seems to exist merely on the strength of Barry's personality alone.  Sure, producers construct situations and kooky sidekicks, but it's Barry we're all there for. And even though the show is all about him, we seem to find out nothing about him at the same time. It's a weirdly half-hearted endeavor which I don't see lasting long, but maybe worth a glance.

Edited by A Boston Gal

This is about ALL of these shows (Storage Wars, Storage Wars: Texas, Storage Wars: New York, Storage Wars: Canada, even Container Wars--which to me seems the fakest of the bunch actually).

Do you believe ANYTHING we see in the show is real?  Is a single solitary thing real?  If so, what (and what isn't)?

I think it's debatable.  Dave Hester claimed that they did, but not until after they dropped him from the show.  (Besides, he's a jackass.  I can totally believe that he made it up to get attention.)

I'm pretty sure that Auction Hunters is real, because they gave a plausible explanation why the good stuff always seems to turn up on the show.  They stated from the outset that the two buyers on that show buy dozens of lockers at a time, and they only show the ones that had something good or interesting in them.  I can believe that it's something similar with this show.  (Unless you think that Dan and Laura only sell three lockers a week.  Doesn't really make for a great business model, you ask me.)

• Love 1

Container Wars (which despite the similar name I'm not even sure is directly related to the other shows) is the one which to me seems to go so far over the top you can't believe anything is real.   

At the very least, you know things seem to be set up so that if there are other bidders, anything those people win is not shown.  But the WAY they're shown, it could be just as likely that there are no "other" scenes with them winning, because they're just paid extras.  Yes, on rare occasions we see one of them bid, but we don't hear them talk, so it being fake still seems very possible.

I just saw a Container Wars episode yesterday that totally did my head in. One where you could tell ahead of time that the show knew exactly what would be revealed by how the cameras were set. and how after the winners (the super-loud Israelis) won, everything was set for them to dig into the gear. It was like a portable Disco/Club kit, with turntables, stage lights, and even this bubble making thing.  Which in a scenario where if it was real, you wouldn't see turned on with bubbles flowing out of the Container in a huge swell, like one of those sitcom joke scenes where someone's washing machine fills a whole room with soap.  It's just typical for this show, where stuff like that happens all of the time.

But all of these shows have elements like that.  With all of the Storage Wars shows, first we have to get over the hump of believing what they find is even real--that it was there by itself and not placed there.  Then we have to believe that the other bidders simply aren't shown winning, and can also be edited out so much they seem like ghosts in the scenes we do see.  Of course the final thing is that we have to believe that when we see our bidders magically know a value for an item right there on the spot, that this is even possible.  And there's inevitably always EXACTLY one item per haul they conveniently need to have looked at by an outside expert, whereas they magically can deliver a value to every other item.  Isn't it convenient that the show format REQUIRES them to have to take a trip to see one outside expert per episode, to add the exact extra time needed per episode?

Edited by Kromm

I doubth very seriously that the place where the auctions are taking place has no clue about what's in those lockers. There is no way that t hey are going to just let valuable items be auctioned off. I also read that the items that the players find in the lockers and take to be 'looked at' actually come from that store/place.

Also, if you have any valuable items in your storage  unit, why in the hell wouldn't you get it out and sell it ?

'Oh! here's a painting valued at $5,000 but it's just left in this unit because the renter couldn't pay the storage fee. WTFever!!!

• Love 1

I doubth very seriously that the place where the auctions are taking place has no clue about what's in those lockers. There is no way that t hey are going to just let valuable items be auctioned off. I also read that the items that the players find in the lockers and take to be 'looked at' actually come from that store/place.

Also, if you have any valuable items in your storage  unit, why in the hell wouldn't you get it out and sell it ?

'Oh! here's a painting valued at $5,000 but it's just left in this unit because the renter couldn't pay the storage fee. WTFever!!!

it does happen sometimes--just not as often as the show wants us to think I'd say.  I mean the real reason is often geography.  Someone moves out of the region intending to come back some day for the stuff in the locker and can't,

What the show likely lies about is whether or not the spaces have been pre-investigated so that they know ahead of time exactly what's in there.

• Love 1

Anyone watching Brandi and Jarrod's new show "Married to the job ?

I am right now. DH was flipping through channels and just discovered it. I didn't know they have a show or that Barry had one too. Did most of the original cast leave Storage Wars? I haven't watched it in along time

Edited by MrsEVH

I am right now. DH was flipping through channels and just discovered it. I didn't know they have a show or that Barry had one too. Did most of the original cast leave Storage Wars? I haven't watched it in along time

Dave was fired, and Barry left for his own show.  I'm pretty sure the Brandi/Jarrod thing was just a pilot.  They're still on the main show, along with Team Tank Top.

When did Darrel Sheets become such a bully. He was always a big mouth blowhard, But it was in a more teasing manner. Now he seems more mean and belittling.

He's bordering Dave Hester territory.

(edited)

They all they act/behave how the script calls for them to act/behave.  I'm not sure why people get so outraged at how they come across while bidding.

My dh actually yells at the TV.  lol

Edited by Taylorh2

To be honest, Dave was a huge jerk and a bully, but he gave the show some spice. It became competitive, and the rivalry between the bidders grouped them together But he's gone. I think Darrel needs to shut his mouth about his $300k painting locker. Sure, it was cool, but come on! Move on with your life! As for Barry, he was always one of my favorites. Between his style in cars, clothing, friends and his attitude and how he usually bids, he made the show funny. Jarrod and Brandi used to be funny because they'd always fight, but now they just want "to save their store" so they're not as funny.

They lost half their cast, so now they have to bring in all these new guys. That guy with the accent whose name I can't remember, Ivy, and anyone else they can find. Personally, I hate them all. I liked the show when it came out, not now. When everybody teamed up against Dave. J&B fighting, Darrel teaching and Barry messing up, that's when it was at its peak. Without the show's comedian or villain, and with these new characters trying to act cool, the show is way too competitive. And I like competitive things, so that's saying something.  

• Love 2

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the previous seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk. Also start topics if you feel there's some missing! 

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hi guys, I've moved some posts to a general discussion thread here. Lets keep the Small Talk topic for off topic/social discussion. See the pinned post in this thread. Thanks!

That guy with the accent whose name I can't remember

Rene. I hate Rene. He's taken over the Dave spot (and I hated Dave too), & is bidding on things just to screw somebody else over. I want him gone.

Taylor, I was coming to comment that there's something off about Rene during today's marathon, I've heard him make several statements that make me think he doth protest too much. And it's probably why I can't stand him, I don't care if he's gay, but it's the making the big macho show.

I grew to like Barry'd Treasure, even though for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the plot of the show was.  I finally decided it was a travelogue of Barry and his cronies having fun and doing silly stuff.  It was fun to watch, but about as filling as cotton candy.

That said, I hope it returns with new episodes. :)

I do believe the asshole Hester on his claim that the lockers are seeded.  See how often you can match up a locker "discovery" that they just "have to go get checked out" with the "Thanks To" credits at the end of the show.  I first noticed this on the SW:Texas show when Victor found some model helicopter thingy supposedly worth 100s of dollars.  The brand name was prominently displayed but Victor and his consultant couldn't get the thing to fly right and crashed it.  Oops, not so good product placement right there.

I do believe the asshole Hester on his claim that the lockers are seeded.

The show pretty much admitted it, but Dave was trying to act like it was something he "discovered" and that's why he was suing them when he was actually in on it from the beginning.

I was always sure Barry's unusual finds were seeded and probably with an item from the shop or person he went to appraise it or maybe it was his in the first place. Then when Bandi found that French bistro horse's head in a pile of junk I figured they had branched out into seeding other lockers because it would be a stretch to only have Barry finding usual things. Anyway, I watch the show in repeats when nothing else is on but I'm kinda over it.

I was surprised to see Dave on the best of episode, you wouldn't think the show would put him on, unless they were somehow contractually obligated.

(edited)

Thanks, momofsquid. :)

Also, GaT: sorry, I misread your post: yeah, Dave on the "Best of" episode makes far less sense than his scenes on the "screw ups" episode.

Edited by A Boston Gal

I agree that the good stuff is seeded.  I think that when the show first started there were some good items that seemed believable when found among the relatively okay items in the rest of the locker, but for some time now the Storage Wars shows have become jokes, intentional parodies, even. 

Given that, what bugs me the most is that the Very Special Items are usually things that don't remotely match up with the apparent life-style of the locker's owner, based on all the other completely unrelated crap that is in there.  How many times can you believe that the locker person probably inherited that one anomalous item from some rich relative.

Kromm, you wanted to know if we think anything on the show could be real.  I think it's possible that some of those lockers that are stuffed with all the equipment from a small fast-food restaurant kitchen may be real.  The equipment usually looks used but still in pretty good condition.  It would also make some sense that someone had to close their restaurant and store the equipment. Of course, the problem with this is you would think that after a while they would try to sell it to someone rather than keep paying the rent for the locker.  Even if they had to take a loss on it, it would still be better than taking a complete and total loss by letting it be seized and auctioned off.  So, where does that leave us?  I don't know.  This same line of thought could apply to lockers full of machine shop equipment, etc.

The other things I think are real are all the crappy things.  Ugly furniture, dirty clothes, icky shoes, worthless art work, broken toys, and tons and tons of messed up books and magazines.  I would definitely expect to find them abandoned.  heh

I've been deleting the clip shows unwatched, but for those who have dived in, what do you think?  Are they an admission that this show is over, and they're just trying to use up whatever they can scrape from the floor of the barn?

I've been deleting the clip shows unwatched, but for those who have dived in, what do you think?  Are they an admission that this show is over, and they're just trying to use up whatever they can scrape from the floor of the barn?

Not sure about the admission part, but you can definitely see how it's run its course and isn't nearly as good. Before Barry became a total clown, he was pretty funny.

• Love 1

They aren't that interesting, & I still don't know why Dave is in them.

I've been deleting the clip shows unwatched, but for those who have dived in, what do you think?

Haven't seen much, but I liked the previously-unaired appraisal of an item as being worthless, as well as the clips of Barry hawking a piece of exercise equipment to people working out at the beach. They were reminders of when the show was less formulaic (and consequently more interesting).

• Love 2

I'm torn.  On one hand, Dave makes me want to punch him in the face. On the other, the show has gotten so frikkin' boring without him.  (Especially since Barry left, too.)

Goes to show, sometimes you really need a good villain to make a show interesting.

• Love 1

What will make the show interesting is to stop following the formula so closely. When was the last time somebody other than one of the cast won a locker? First season? How about crapping out on a locker? I don't mean just losing money after paying a ridiculous amount; I mean not finding anything worthwhile. The show has gotten boring because it's become predictable and changing up the cast is just a temporary fix.

• Love 1