Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Training Up Bates

• Start Topic

What I liked about this episode as well as the last episode was how the older kids were allowed to stay behind because they had work and other commitments. They didn't force a heavily pregnant Whitney onto a cramped bus so the entire dog-and-pony show could be intact, unlike that "other" family.

I'm cautiously happy for Erin and Chad. Given everything she's been through with previous miscarriages, I personally would have waited until the second trimester to announce, but to each her own.

• Love 4

I did some quick math, and based on Erin wearing Chad's anniversary ring, we know she had her 7 week appointment sometime after Nov. 2. I saw IG posts with filming crew around the Bateses as late as mid-December, so we have about a 6 week window of possibility. This puts her NOW somewhere between 13-19 weeks. Given the video of her playing piano last weekend, even the bulky sweater and strategically placed scarf couldn't really hide her thickening waist. I think she's well into her second trimester, around 16 weeks. 

• Love 1

So that was an official pregnancy announcement yes?

I think even going into that doctor's office she was well on her way to being pregnant because she looked even more puffy than that puffy vest would show.  The moment I saw her walk out of that car with that puffy vest on I thought "yep, she's pregnant" 

I read a little about heparin on Wiki, and there's nothing there indicating that it's given to pregnant women for clotting issues. However, it does confirm that it's given by shots and has a very short half life (about two hours), so it has to be administered frequently. 

Given that this is her course of action in future pregnancies, I don't see her having a dozen kids. They may stop around 3. 

Thanks for that insight! The page on heparin made no mention of use during pregnancy at all, and the doctor's on-camera diagnosis was "only" PAI. 

eta: This abstract links the addition of heparin to reduction of PAI. I'm not paying for the entire paper, but it's from the NIH, so I think it's pretty reliable information which gels with Erin's diagnosis and treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8049432

Edited by Sew Sumi

I loved Kelly's mom and sisters (and the fabulous house!). Her mom mentioned she has a total of 33 grandchildren, but her adopted sister has just the one...does Kelly have any other siblings or does her one sister that looks and sounds just like her have 13 kids?

Happy for Erin and Chad. It's what they really wanted so I'm glad it worked out. It was nice to see Michaela at her job with the little kids. I notice that she can't wait for her wedding so I think an engagement will be announced very soon.

The middle kids are funny in terms of showing their personalities. I enjoy watching them. And the little ones..are you well behaved? What;s that? ROFL!

• Love 6

I have to remind myself that I dislike their political & religious views as much as I dislike the Duggars.  They are just that nice & normal, that I forget. 

I liked that Gil & Kelly admitted that they are softer on the little kids than they used to be on the older kids.  It happens and it's not necessarily a horrible thing (unless you are an older kid going WTH!).  It's at least an acknowledgement that they aren't "perfect".  Would never happen in Duggarville. 

Loved the talk Kelly had about "thoughtfulness" when visiting an elderly/older relative.  Heck, I thought all her teaching moments were really well done & on age level for the kids she was dealing with.  She parented....her own kids....without passing it off to a daughter! The way she handled Jeb in the flower shop and when he was throwing a fit getting into the van was great.  And again, SHE handled it, not an overworked, overstressed daughter.  J'chelle might want to start taking some notes. 

I did dislike the word "training/training up", but there was a lot of positive that came from it.  IMO

• Love 6

I love how Kelly spoke to the children about how to behave in certain situations. She has a very gentle, soothing tone to her voice - I feel like she missed her calling as an early education teacher. I also love how it was acknowledged that the parents have become more lenient over time. There's actually a really funny commercial out now about how parents tend to be overly protective with their 1st child, but by the 3rd child, they basically adopt a care-free attitude.

Happy for Erin and Chad and I hope she able to carry to term.

• Love 3

I loved Kelly's mom and sisters (and the fabulous house!). Her mom mentioned she has a total of 33 grandchildren, but her adopted sister has just the one...does Kelly have any other siblings or does her one sister that looks and sounds just like her have 13 kids?

Happy for Erin and Chad. It's what they really wanted so I'm glad it worked out. It was nice to see Michaela at her job with the little kids. I notice that she can't wait for her wedding so I think an engagement will be announced very soon.

The middle kids are funny in terms of showing their personalities. I enjoy watching them. And the little ones..are you well behaved? What;s that? ROFL!

Am watching this one right now. I thought she said she had a sisters named Becca, Beth and then Kim who owns the flower shop.

• Love 1
The way she handled Jeb in the flower shop and when he was throwing a fit getting into the van was great.  And again, SHE handled it, not an overworked, overstressed daughter.  J'chelle might want to start taking some notes.

Just watching now and ITA. It seemed like one of the older boys was looking after Jeb in the flower shop, but as soon as Jeb started misbehaving and knocking things over Kelly stepped in and said she would take over for a while.  While Kelly & Gil expect their older children to help with the younger children, I don't feel like they ever expect the older children to be responsible for parenting the younger children.

• Love 6