Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Curtain Call

• Start Topic

Elsa shot Dell after he confessed to Desiree that he killed Ma Petite.

I know.  I was responding to a post that stated everyone was happy in their afterlife, except Stanley, Dandy, and Maggie.  I stated that I presumed Dell was with the latter.

I despised this episode with such a passion that I wanted to curse vociferously.

I think this episode should have ended with Elsa getting to spend a hellish eternity with Mordrake. Dandy should have gotten to headline the show being sawn in half every night. OK. I’ll bend a little bit and they could just drown him every night.

I thought a poetic punishment would involve disfiguring him in a way that he can see the results, since he was so narcisstic. I really thought the surviving freaks were going to disfigure him even worse than they did with the con man.

• Love 4

Speaking of the dad, why did we never hear whether he survived his tarring & feathering?  And why didn't we ever hear more about the policeman to whom Dandy promised money for shooting Gabourey Sidibe's character? 

I was fully expecting Dandy's cop for hire to become the manager at the show- I was surprised that he didn't show up.  That was a million dollars ill-spent. 

But that's not as weird as the total disinterest of the actual police force in anything resembling catching criminals.  Two cops get killed in Jimmy's escape, and they search the tents once and then go away forever?  Even if they didn't know about the freak deaths, there's been a pretty big body count in the town since the show arrived- you'd think that at some point they would have just told them to move on.  

• Love 1

It's my understanding that Cleo's tongue was cut out so she couldn't talk. Presumably the same happened to Stanley.

That makes sense - they don't actually show or indicate that in the movie, though, do they?

And why didn't we ever hear more about the policeman to whom Dandy promised money for shooting Gabourey Sidibe's character?

Wasn't the police officer the guy who investigated Neil Patrick Harris's character for Dandy, and brought him that file with the details on the double murder?

....so now with both Dandy and Twisty dead (along with almost every other "freak"), why wasn't Elsa bad enough for him.

I think her last luncheon with her true love explained it.  She finally achieved what she thought she wanted (and this part, I still have no idea how that could happen since she was past-her-prime and a non-talent) and realized it wasn't what she needed.  The one place she felt at home and loved was with her "monsters."  But she didn't appreciate them until they were gone -- and that is the difference between EM Halloween appearance #1 and #2.  He granted her wish of suicide by demon, but she was no longer the unrepentant, heart-hearted monster she was before.  She changed -- and her afterlife was the closest thing she was getting to Heaven.  She was given what she most desired - a family with those who loved her in her Cabinet of Curiosities and those who adored her (again, still shaking my head on this part) in the audience.

Yeah, Mordrake seemed to be all about remorse. He considered Twisty to be the most deserving of the trip to hell, because Twisty couldn't even understand that what he'd done was wrong. (That's pretty messed up reasoning, but it's what the show gave us.)

In the finale, I think he was planning to bring Elsa to hell, but once he realized that she wanted to die, he interpreted that as remorse.

I don't think it really was remorse, so much as her just giving up because her life had turned to shit. But Mordrake wasn't the best judge of these things.

• Love 2

Yeah, Mordrake seemed to be all about remorse. He considered Twisty to be the most deserving of the trip to hell, because Twisty couldn't even understand that what he'd done was wrong. (That's pretty messed up reasoning, but it's what the show gave us.)

In the finale, I think he was planning to bring Elsa to hell, but once he realized that she wanted to die, he interpreted that as remorse.

I don't think it really was remorse, so much as her just giving up because her life had turned to shit. But Mordrake wasn't the best judge of these things.

Yep.  That was definitely Mordrake's character, who was unfortunately a victim of piss poor writing.

Best moment of the finale?  Seeing Ma Petit's 1000 watt smile as she exclaimed "I missed you!"  to Elsa.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 3
Massimo was Italian, not German. Maybe they spoke English because it was their only common language.

Ah, that makes sense, Starchild.  I should have picked that up from the name if not the backstory- I was just going by the similar-sounding bad accents in that poolside scene.  

• Love 1

...Although thumbs up to Finn down to his tighty whities again. Way up!

Finn as Dandy has been the highlight of the season for me (and the fact that he looks so good in his tighty whities has only a little bit to do with it...!), so much so that Dandy has become my favorite character in all seasons.  Finn's physicality in the role was brilliant.  Such a psychotic wild card!  Sadly, his death wasn't even nearly as satisfactory as it could have been.  Although drowning is one of the worst ways to go, imo (shudder!).  I did love how Desiree was eating her popcorn, though!  Heh!

The rest was, well, meh.  The season was, as always, gorgeous to look at, but that only goes so far.

• Love 1
I know.  I was responding to a post that stated everyone was happy in their afterlife, except Stanley, Dandy, and Maggie.  I stated that I presumed Dell was with the latter.

Pepper and her husband weren't there, were they? 

Best moment of the finale?  Seeing Ma Petit's 1000 watt smile as she exclaimed "I missed you!"  to Elsa.

I appreciated this moment so much but I'll admit that as I was watching it in real time I was still nervous. I kept thinking that something was going to be really *wrong* in the after life and kept thinking that it could be anything. Would Ma Petite really be Ma Petite or would she be some ghoulish version of her? I'm glad though that our last image of Ma Petite was the one of her smiling and happy and not the one of her in that glass case.

• Love 1

Pepper wasn't dead, so she shouldn't be there either way. Salty probably deserves "Heaven" since he never killed anyone (probably Pepper, too).

But then, Ma Petite shouldn't be there since she's an innocent...

I should know better than to try to rationalize later-season Ryan Murphy.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

I think RM is very creative, but he can't tell a cohesive story to save his life.

To some extent the problem is that he's too creative, so the season gets stuffed with far more ideas than can possibly be handled by the end of a thirteenth episode. This episode and last have felt like a rush to wrap up characters, but it was poorly done and there's still a pile of "what about...?"s. Maybe somebody should have RM reboot an anthology series so that he can spend a whole episode on a single idea or two. It worked for Rod Serling, who wrote over half of the Twilight Zone episodes himself.

• Love 7

I'm guessing in this world neither Heaven or Hell exist. I mean, maybe they do, but I think instead of just two completely opposite places, there are billions of different eternal experiences based on where each individual needs to be for eternal rest or pain. But, really, even with Mordrake, Twisty said it "only hurts for a moment," which I take to mean he's no longer in pain. (Or are there earlier references I'm forgetting)? I think the writers left it open to interpretation on purpose.

• Love 5

Yep.  That was definitely Mordrake's character, who was unfortunately a victim of piss poor writing.

I teared up when Ma Petite appeared !

• Love 2

Pepper and her husband weren't there, were they? 

Remember, Pepper is at Briarcliff Asylum.    As for Salty, I don't recall seeing him in the afterlife ?    Did anyone see him there ?

For not liking this finale, I sure am coming on this forum and talking about it a lot.  LOL!

Damnit. I'm going to go back and rewatch the Twisty episodes, I loved them just that much.

On another note, I have an extreme earworm of the AHS Freakshow theme music !!!!!

Edited by jnymph

Maybe this is Elsa's idea of heaven, but what did those poor schmucks in the audience do to have to watch this performance for all of eternity?! Each of the freaks either committed murder or mutilation with the exception of Meep and Ma Petite. But I think even Salty was around to dismember the first police office who was killed on the grounds. (I'm trying to recall that scene--who all was there to hack up the body.) And all of them who were killed this last episode participated in mutilating Stanley. So if they either get heaven or a purgatory that appears to be a better night than they ever got in life--a packed house cheering--what do you have to do to go to hell?! Now the people stuck in the hell of having to cheer on Elsa Mars singing night after night after night.... THAT'S the true horror story right there!

• Love 2

As a very young child, I would run screaming from the television whenever Lawrence Welk and his weird accent invaded our set, which never deterred my grandparents from watching his show.  With that, and the decades-spanning success of someone like Ed Sullivan, I have no trouble believing that millions might crowd in front of the TV for a variety hour hosted by an offbeat Dietrich wannabe who sings songs from the future.

I did love how Desiree was eating her popcorn, though!  Heh!

"That boy is a star!" felt like a compliment not just from Desiree to the vanquished Dandy Mott, but from the cast and show to Finn Wittrock.  The character and the actor earned the accolade.  There was a lot of meta in this episode, but that line in particular really made me smile.

• Love 6

So do you think Jimmy baby will have the lobster hands as well?

Also which twin is the Mother? I remember in the first ep the doctors mention that one of them could give birth.

Also the german carptner talking about the USA blowing up towns for experiments. It seems connected with next season plot theory with American Goverment testing nucelar on humans. Under the hat was it called? Something like that.

And I hate Meep, am I a awful person? I just don't like animail violenc and I have trouble watching realism and reality. So even though I know it's fake it was just hard for me to watch him eat a live baby chicken and feel sympanthy for his character.

Speaking of fan theoris as well; I read online there is a fan theory saying the nun that Jessica Lange played in Aslyum is actually twin sisters with Elsa in Freak Show. It kinda makes sense because Elsa talked about having a dead older sister...So maybe? Also Maggie having the same last name as the builder of Murder House or was that coven?

Ma peite should of greeted Elsa riding a pony!

Edited by JellyFishQueen

Wasn't the police officer the guy who investigated Neil Patrick Harris's character for Dandy, and brought him that file with the details on the double murder?

Yes, I had completely forgotten about that scene.

On another note, I have an extreme earworm of the AHS Freakshow theme music !!!!!

I'm going to really miss that theme.  And the wonderfully creepy opening credits.

• Love 2

Remember, Pepper is at Briarcliff Asylum. 

That was a weird tie-in.  I suppose Elsa Mars isn't the same person as Sister Jude.  And Jimmy, of course, wasn't Kit.  It was just odd because I've always seen the American Horror seasons as kind of like parallel realities where each has different versions of the same person.

Also, don't really understand the hate towards Maggie.  Other than being affiliated with Stanley, I don't recall her committing any evil deeds. I don't feel she deserved that fate. 

Edited by onelargetoe

As I've said in other threads, I actually liked Elsa - she did horrible things, but nearly everyone in this story did (Pepper, Meep and Ma Petite were the innocent exceptions), and we did get to see her vulnerability, not to mention the snuff film was a completely terrible thing to do to anyone. I also thought her experience in Hollywood had a certain nuance - she got what she thought she wanted, but stardom and money didn't really solve her real problems. She wanted to be loved, as nearly everyone in the world does. So Edward Mordrake, seeing something different in her from the last time they met, gave her both her stated wish - to die - and a chance to have and give love.  Because I really believe that in her own screwed up way, she did love her 'monsters' and in the afterlife, the 'freaks' were renewed and cleansed and able to love her again. I especially loved her moment with Ethel and Ma Petite's enthusiastic "I missed you!"

I loved this concept of 'afterlife' and loved Ethel's explanation. Seeing Twisty, Edward and Massimo again was great, but the Freak Show family reunion really got to me.

Dandy didn't get as horrible a death as I expected - and feel he deserved - but it was pretty good, especially with the survivors eating popcorn and Desiree's wisecracks. The thing about Dandy is that he was a narcissistic child, and the horror of his storyline was tied to this, because it made his growing commitment to intense violence that much more interesting.

I didn't care enough about Jimmy and the twins to mind their happy ending. In fact I rather liked it. Good to see Malcolm Jamal-Warner again. It was interesting to see Desiree emerge as a principal character after Ethel's death, and Angela Bassett really brought the sass and humor.

I don't know if I'll watch the next season - I love Jessica Lange so much, she's drawn me in every season. But I'll probably give it a try, first episode at least.

• Love 7

And I hate Meep, am I a awful person? I just don't like animail violenc and I have trouble watching realism and reality. So even though I know it's fake it was just hard for me to watch him eat a live baby chicken and feel sympanthy for his character.

You're not the only one.  I couldn't stand that vicious little monster, and it was strange that everyone was entertained watching him torture helpless little creatures.

I loved this concept of 'afterlife' and loved Ethel's explanation.

I may have to go back and re-watch that scene.  I was so taken aback when Ethel made the comment comparing punishing Elsa, to punishing the actor playing Othello when he "kills" Desdemona.  For a moment, I really thought they were going to end by showing us it had really been an act performed by the freak show.  So I kind of blanked out for a moment.

ETA  Since this show is pure camp anyway, I would have loved if it had ended with a curtain call, in which all the actors came out to take a bow.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 2

I couldn't stand that vicious little monster, and it was strange that everyone was entertained watching him torture helpless little creatures.

Meep was mentally disabled.  He probably had the mind of a two-year old, if that.  He was only doing what he was taught to do in front of an audience.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 3

So.  That was that.  I happen to be entirely on board with the PTV reviewer.  I kind of liked it and what I thought was neat is that it's a mobius strip that turns 'round on itself.  

Where they left Elsa -- you could go back and start the whole series all over again and see it replay without missing a beat.  That's kind of cool -- a circular format for plotline.  It makes me think of that old image of the snake eating itself of Ouroboros.

http://0.tqn.com/d/altreligion/1/S/R/1/-/-/Ouroboros-simple.svg.hi.png

PS:  Interesting connection to another series, "Vikings" -- in the mythology, King Hauraud (Horrick?) uses an Ouroboros to protect his daughter's crib.  Ragnar kills the snake and later marries the daughter.  That's on the cited wiki page under "Middle Ages".

Edited by Captanne

To some extent the problem is that he's too creative, so the season gets stuffed with far more ideas than can possibly be handled by the end of a thirteenth episode. 

I totally agree, AHS always feels to me like he throws everything at it, including the kitchen sink.  I think he needs someone to help him edit himself and keep focus.  He did extremely well with The Normal Heart, so he can do a more focused story. And as beloved as Asylum is, I thought it was too much: we had the horror of the asylum itself, a sadistic nun, demonic possession, serial killers, Nazis, aliens, medical experiments.... it was just all over the place.

Re: Salty

I am pretty sure that he can be seen running past Elsa while she's preparing to go on and perform....either at her vanity or as she's seated, ready to roll out. I deleted the episode, soi can't be 100% sure though.

I'm 100% sure that was Meep.  He had the blue feather suit on, that was a very distinctive costume.

• Love 3

About Desiree and Elsa's age, I think they were both playing about 10 years younger than their actual ages. And believably, I'd say. They are both so beautiful. Remember when the Jupiter small town doctor told Desiree she was an actual woman and not a hermaphrodite he said she could have children? He added something like "no offense you can't wait much longer". I think she was supposed to be 40ish.

Elsa's being discovered at 50something is a bigger stretch, but I think the fact it was the host of a Variety Hour on television makes it more believable. In the 1950s television was putting all these B-List stars whose heyday in Hollywood was waning as "the blah blah blah HOUR" hosts. Ronald Reagan was one of them. I think Elsa was meant to be a charming but kitschy oddity who hosted a very popular and successful show. It's not like she was a leading lady doing films with Monty Clift and Rock Hudson. The gold records in German were definitely meant to be kitsch I think (and they did say "Gold" not "Platinum" so they were historically on point there). Even the Hollywood Walk of Fame isn't as big of a stretch as it first looks. It's completely paid for by the fan clubs! It's not box office or Oscars that get you a star, it's fan club driven. I could see Elsa, like Liberace or Lawrence Welk, having a powerful fan club of housewives and matrons (and silver MILF chasers like her husband) during the Eisenhower years.

Overall the ending was RM typical--underwhelming from the earlier promise. So I wasn't too upset because I know the endings aren't his strong point (Asylum was the best IMO).

Oh, and about the movie "Freaks": we're not shown the actual mutilation of Cleo into that legless chicken creature but it was definitely implied they cut out her tongue and the first time I saw it I thought maybe it was just pure brain damage/trauma that was making her squawk and twitch her head to the side. It was super disturbing in 1998 when I first saw it, I can't imagine audience reactions in 1932. I also read in the original cut the strong man who conspired with her was singing falsetto as part of the show--the implication being the freaks had castrated him for betraying the Freak code of honor.

Edited by Jason Caucutt
  • Love 7

Now I know I'm slipping into the mode of overanalyzing, but I'm wondering if Salty wasn't there because he died of natural causes.  Of course it could simply be we didn't see him, but it appears that that final segment was carefully crafted and the camera panned to show pretty much everyone who had died (with the obvious  exception of Dell, Dandy, Maggie).  

Damned RM.  I have given this ending more time than I think it actually deserves....

• Love 1

I can't believe Jessica Lange would want to end her participation in the AHS anthology by portraying an obviously untalented, deluded German woman who starred in snuff films, had her legs sawed off, and is an evil and scheming murderer to boot. What a waste of a talented beautiful actress. She should have gone out on Fiona Goode in "Coven" who was at least glamorous, or even Sister Jude in "Asylum" where she had a more believable "redemption arc" at the end.

• Love 2

Also, don't really understand the hate towards Maggie.  Other than being affiliated with Stanley, I don't recall her committing any evil deeds. I don't feel she deserved that fate. 

"Being affiliated with Stanley" was pretty bad.  She may not have wanted to commit murder herself, but she could have prevented some of them if she'd given Stanley up much earlier than she did, and saved Ma Petite and Ethel, and Jimmy's hands.  Instead she chose not to say anything, so I felt very little pain for her when she started feeling guilty.    

• Love 2

You're not the only one.  I couldn't stand that vicious little monster, and it was strange that everyone was entertained watching him torture helpless little creatures.

Geeks in sideshows were a regular attraction- I can't imagine being entertained by it, any more than I would be by dog fighting or bear baiting or ratting. But it was a very common 'attraction'- Meep was just doing what a lot of other performers had been doing for decades, and given that he wasn't apparently playing with a full deck, I wouldn't necessarily call him evil. 

• Love 4

Count me in on the I Didn't Like Meep bandwagon. I know he was limited, but honestly, when he appeared and bit those chicken heads, my gut wrenched. That was horrific and freaky that he killed those animals that way and that he took so much glee in getting approval for doing so. Now that was sick and depraved - teaching someone limited to do something so cruel.

Besides Twisty, Meep and the Orgy were the most realistic and scary (I'm still not sure Penny was raped - she was drugged and surrounded by other people getting it on, but was she actually involved herself or did she just lay there stoned?) BTW - pretty sure Salty and Pepper were involved in the orgy and also stabbed the first policeman, so they weren't 100% innocent, either.

• Love 1

I'm late to the party, but I have to say I LOVED the finale. Ryan Murphy must be totally twisting my mind, because I loved the opening scene of Dandy walking around killing the family.  I knew that since this was so early in the last hour of the series that all of them would have something better coming in the end.  It didn't bother me at all that the gun had a zillion bullets.  I don't watch AHS for any hint of reality.  I go in with my brain on full suspension of disbelief. 

I fell completely for the rise and fall of Elsa Mars on Friday nights.  As others have mentioned,  I could actually believe she got some kind of strange Ed Sullivan type show.  When she was told her past semi-snuff film had surfaced and the fact that she owned and operated a Freak Show, I knew it was just the device used to end that story.  Fine with me.

Dandy looks mighty good in tightie whities.  Count me in as a big fan of Mordrake. Why? He's cute and spooky. There are more things I was thinking about concerning some of the other characters, but I will end on Elsa Mars.

I thought Elsa Mars was a great name.  Elsa knew she had no right to a heavenly type ending, but she got one anyway.  There's hope for  me!  Tears were welling up in my eyes when she got back to the family.  And I look at it this way.  Maybe everyone that is in Elsa's afterlife are somewhere else in their own perfect afterlife. There are probably many copies of all of us.

So, for AHS Freak Show. I loved the first episode and the last episode.  This was not a good season in my opinion.  I can throw in the Mordrake eps ( along with our favorite Twisty ) and the back story episode on Pepper.  I guess that's why I was so verklempt during the finale. I did not expect to like it.

Wonder where we go next?  I'm not really asking that, I'm just wondering. heh

• Love 4

I loathe animal cruelty, but I don't blame Meep for biting the heads off of chickens. He had the mind of, what, a toddler?

I can't believe Jessica Lange would want to end her participation in the AHS anthology by portraying an obviously untalented, deluded German woman who starred in snuff films, had her legs sawed off, and is an evil and scheming murderer to boot. What a waste of a talented beautiful actress. She should have gone out on Fiona Goode in "Coven" who was at least glamorous, or even Sister Jude in "Asylum" where she had a more believable "redemption arc" at the end.

Well, she really wanted to play a Marlene Dietrich-type character. That's the reason Murphy came up with the character in the first place.

And Elsa was easily the most glamorous character in this whole season.

• Love 1

The best look on Elsa, imo, was the powder blue suit.  I loved, loved, loved that.  Also -- I'm a David Bowie fan, so no complaints.  They also picked my favourite songs to do.  Fun Fact:  "Heroes" (easily one of the best songs of the 20th C), is also called "Helden" and done in German by Bowie.  It's amazing.  When I heard the notes start, I expected "Helden" rather than "Heroes" but -- I got the point.

She starts with "Life on Mars" which also -- hee.

I mentioned before that it's cool how we start with Elsa in the suit while singing Bowie and end with it -- like a snake eating its tail.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

So Massimo and Axeman are not the same character? I had thought from the last episode that they were implying Massimo became the Axeman after he moved to New Orleans from Florida. I must have been dreaming.

I don't remember that the first scene in Freak show was Jessica Lange singing the "Life on Mars" song. Will have to rewatch. I thought it had started with Twisty killing the young lovers at the picnic and/or Bette and Dot walking and approaching the entrance of the Freak Show.

Yeah this season is such a disaster I can't remember anything anymore.

Elsa performed it in the premier:  http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/watch-the-eerie-david-bowie-cover-from-american-horror-story-20141009

ETA:  It looks like the video has been pulled for copyright, but the appropos text is:

It's a show that features conjoined twins, a boy with lobster hands and a terrifying, murderous clown, yet the strangest part of Wednesday night's American Horror Story: Freak Show premiere came when Jessica Lange's Elsa performed a rendition of David Bowie's Hunky Dory classic "Life on Mars?" The cover was jarring for two reasons: First, that German accent, and secondly, Bowie's track was released in 1971, but the show is based in 1952 in Jupiter, Florida. So, is time travel a subplot?

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/watch-the-eerie-david-bowie-cover-from-american-horror-story-20141009#ixzz3Px9sYecb
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Edited by Captanne

So Massimo and Axeman are not the same character? I had thought from the last episode that they were implying Massimo became the Axeman after he moved to New Orleans from Florida. I must have been dreaming.

I don't remember that the first scene in Freak show was Jessica Lange singing the "Life on Mars" song. Will have to rewatch. I thought it had started with Twisty killing the young lovers at the picnic and/or Bette and Dot walking and approaching the entrance of the Freak Show.

Yeah this season is such a disaster I can't remember anything anymore.

I'm pretty sure the first moment of the first episode was a shot of one of the twin's heads as they entered the freak show grounds. "Life on Mars" happened partway through that episode.

But Massimo couldn't have been the Axeman. The Axeman was killed in New Orleans around the time women got the vote, and then spent 80 years or so trapped as a spirit in the coven's house.

• Love 1

Well, she really wanted to play a Marlene Dietrich-type character. That's the reason Murphy came up with the character in the first place.

And Elsa was easily the most glamorous character in this whole season.

Did Marlene Dietrich wear pantsuits?

I'm sorry to say this, but an old hag who is trying to act like a sexpot while wearing a very unfeminine white pantsuit is completely unappealing.

That, plus the awful attempt to look hip while singing a rock n roll song with a bad German accent made that scene the most freakish scene this season.

I despised this episode with such a passion that I wanted to curse vociferously. However, I realized I don’t know enough nasty words to describe how much I loathed this ending. I swear, I want to spend several hours on Urban Dictionary just to learn enough bad words to describe this steaming pile of …. (insert every known term for excrement in every language).

Truffle Butter - see Urban Dictionary.

• Love 1

Wow, Demig, this is the first time I've ever had to type the words "brain bleach". So much for lunch. ;-)

ETA: I knew it wasn't going to be similar to yummy truffle oil or anything like that but damn.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 1

The messed up thing is that there is a song called that and I heard it playing on the radio at 10 am on a Saturday!!!!!! I am horrified that teen girls are gonna go look up the meaning!!!!