Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: The Gang Group Dates

• Start Topic

Anybody else catch the episode? Like it says on the tin, the gang goes on group dates with mixed results. Dee seeks to empower herself by sleeping with men and giving them low ratings. Dennis goes sociopath about the rating system. And we have wacky misadventures with the Frank/Mac/Charlie act. Fun episode, though I had to close my eyes during the first "date" between the Gang guys and three women, because that shit was cringeworthy.

One thing I have to side with the cast about . .  . what's the deal with The Waitress not being on the Internet? Who isn't online these days? I'm not saying she should be online 24/7, but "e-mails" as a noun? The only reason for that is that she's practicing going off the grid in the event the Gang somehow cripples civilization.

I giggled at the callback to "Mac Day" (the gang saying out loud that Mac is gay) with Dee referring to Charlie and Mac as "the dirty one and the gay one".

And when Dee was rating the guys & Dennis slowly moved forward into visibility, I just about died laughing.

That was a great sight gag!

I loved the final speech from Dennis mainly because it reminded me of a possible Jeff Winger speech.

And when Dee was rating the guys & Dennis slowly moved forward into visibility, I just about died laughing.

Those unfortunately were the only good Dennis moments.  I did laugh at both, to be fair.  But most of the episode his scenes were just awkward without a punchline.  Extremely in character, but therefore predictable.  As opposed to the others who were bringing the funny throughout.

And Mac didn't correct Frank (or was it Dennis) when he called him gay.

But he's tough!

Does anyone else notice that the lighting this has seemed brighter? The seasons before, it definitely seemed darker. 

• Love 2

Here is the episode three promo. I can't wait to learn more about psycho Pete. Our conductor's insane, Our cargo is pain, FREIGHT TRAIN!! The dancing is hilarious. I love when the gang dances. And, how hot does Charlie look dancing like that?

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 1

I guess I'm somewhat in the minority, but this was the funniest episode of a sitcom I've seen in ages- and I thought the Boggs episode was pretty fantastic.

I was dying- literal, can't breath, hysterics- at almost every Frank-Charlie-Mac scene. Those three are comedy gold. Someone quoted it, but "Hello ladies, I'm frak. Shit! (tweet)" had me gasping and rewinding repeatedly, along with their other segments and montages.

Plus, perpetual whipping girl Dee was in rare form as the (mostly) successful alpha this time, and Dennis was his psycho be(a)st, taken to the rare fully unhinged level.

I mean, there were times during Dennis' tirades where I thought "If I hadn't been told up front this was a comedy, it would quite clearly be a really depressing documentary about the severely mentally ill".

And then I laughed my ass off some more, because IASIP makes monsters of us all... :)

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 3

Great episode. This season so far has felt like the old gang with great material circa earlier seasons. 

I about died when Franks cock ring clanked onto the floor. Twice! Not only that but it sounded like it rolled, like a quarter (but heavier) falling out of your pocket. Hilarious!!

I have to admit that Dennis is my least favorite member of the gang but I enjoyed his storyline last night and it seemed so in character for him.

I like that Dee went through so many men but they didn't care as long as they got laid. Dennis going slowly psycho is always fun to watch because he's just as delusional as the rest.

The sound of the cock ring was a great gag. 

I'm surprised that The Waitress doesn't have online too. I assume she doesn't have a lot of money, so I figured she had one of the early smart phone models. I actually had the phone she had on the show in the 90s/early 2000s. But I would think that her work would use texting for picking up shifts, etc., so she would need it. I like that she's just as delusional as the rest in thinking Dennis wanted her to be his gf.

I loved all the music. "Return of the mack." Of course the gang would think that's a good dating music. 

Was Dennis staying with Dee?

I loved how Dee couldn't spell. The waitress don't have online. Cowboys hate teachers. The nicknames were great.

Dennis and Mac's apartment burned down last season because Frank started a money fire.

• Love 2

I loved this one so much, it's easily my favorite of the season so far.

"Hi ladies, I'm Frak. SHIT!"

I have to admit that Dennis is my least favorite member of the gang but I enjoyed his storyline last night and it seemed so in character for him.

This episode was a tour de force for Glenn Howerton, for all the great reasons already stated. He really did seem to channel Jeff Winger at the end, that was great.

ETA: Dennis's reasoning why women aren't responding to him on group dates: "These women feel too safe." That's Dennis in a nutshell, isn't it?

Edited by Galileo908