Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: I Lock The Door Upon Myself

Daphne deals with a prankster in her dorm. Elsewhere, Bay interviews with the Kansas City Artist Showcase; Regina takes a liking to an Easter Riverside coffee house—and its owner; and John ponders his future as he celebrates a big birthday.

What the hell were those clothes? NO ONE DRESSES LIKE THAT. Not since 1979. All of the tube socks made me irrationally angry. It looked like Battle of the Network Stars all episode. Good lord.* 

I thought they did a nice job all episode building up how Daphne was getting into typical college hijinks while Bay's life was crumbling even more, but at the end they really didn't sell the makeup scene. I could see a mud fight being cathartic, but Bay didn't even get any good shots in. To make that believable, she should have thrown Daphne face down into the mud, screamed, etc. Nope, just a couple of half-hearted mudballs and then they teamed up against Toby.

*ETA: and the tiny shorts. I don't even think you can buy those. I was looking for leg warmers and headbands to show up on somebody.

Edited by stopeslite

I love Toby and Bay's relationship. The actors just have that chem together that they actually seem like brother and sister.

Meh, boring ep.  I actually really liked Skye though.

• Love 4
I thought they did a nice job all episode building up how Daphne was getting into typical college hijinks while Bay's life was crumbling even more, but at the end they really didn't sell the makeup scene.

Yeah, and I also didn't really buy Bay saying she would make the same choice all over again, especially right after not getting into the showcase.

• Love 4

I'm glad to see Bay learning that her Grand Gesture has some very real consequences beyond having to wait a few months to join Emmett in LA. A felony record closes a lot of doors. A lawyer, or even a parent, would have told her this had she bothered to ask. Ah, the arrogance of youth...

• Love 4

Bay’s passive-aggression is annoying. As she herself said, it was HER choice to do the stupid thing she did.

Daphne’s roommate is sweet, if a little painfully eager. I like her – she’s one of the few new characters who wasn’t introduced as a bitch (see Natalie, Sharee, pretty all the deaf kids).

Can everyone please stop saying Daphne’s life is sooo hard “because she’s pre-med”? She just started college. She’s not performing brain surgery. She is taking Chemistry 101, and maybe 3-4 other very basic intro-level courses. Yes, it’s a tough major…but not a couple of weeks into the semester.

That triathlon storyline was straight out of Saved by the Bell. So were the fashions.

EDIT: I just saw next week's promo. The voiceover was just baffling: "It will make you talk...and think...and talk again."

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Love 2

So since the start of the show the following has happened around Emmett's love life:

Bay fell for him.

Daphne decided that she liked him and fought to try to break him and Bay up.

Simone cheated on Toby with him.

Matthew catfished Emmett and was revealed to be secretly in love with him.

Bay gets back together with him, cheating on her boyfriend in the process.

Matthew's cousin whose image was used for the catfish, reads some of the stuff he wrote to Matthew, and she falls for him.

Some random girl in LA who has a boyfriend kisses him after knowing him for half a day.

His love life might be even more ridiculous than Daphne's.

• Love 5

Does Daphne really so incredibly clueless that she doesn't know why Bay might still be mad at her?   And why on earth does Bay feel guilty about being mad at her? Someone needs to make counseling part of Bay's probation conditions or something.

Looks like Daphne has 2nd potential suitor in faux Ashton Kutcher...

I'm looking forward to seeing where Travis's baseball storyline goes. Hopefully we'll get to see Mary Beth again soon!

• Love 5

A random thing that bugged me ...

Why was Daphne yelling at the janitor about closing the bathroom and for telling her it would probably take 6 weeks to fix and there was another bathroom in the building they could use?

What the heck does she expect him to do?

• Love 1

Oh, another thing - I was so angry at how the Kennishes were talking about Bay in the beginning. Oh, Bay is in a bad mood these days. She's angry a lot. Poor us for having to deal with that. Gee, think that might have something to do with her taking the fall for your bio-daughter and realizing how that's ruining her entire life? After they totally kept kicking her down the road of how "great" it was for her to take the blame, now they're not even giving her any slack in dealing with the fallout.

Edited by stopeslite
  • Love 12

I think Lizzy Weiss showed a deleted scene between Regina and John about the situation. Regina figured John could do something since he was a senator and he points out he's now an "ex-senator" who was washed-up and, in others' eyes, would get little sympathy for wanting to get another one of his rich kids out of trouble. He pointed out that Bay was 18 and had made an adult decision and the best thing they could do was support her.

It doesn't justify the scene regarding Bay house arrest duty of course, but at this point they've come to terms with Bay doing what Bay does best, being a self-sacrificing tool who will do what she wants. Bay could've grown a heart of stone and take the opportunity to leave home, instead she thought she was doing everyone a favor at the sacrifice of her own happiness and future. What was Toby thinking telling her to cover up a criminal charge? They could have easily performed a background check to confirm everything. If Bay was aware she had sent in an application for that Kansas City showcase, would that not have crossed her mind before making her decision? I suspected she would grow resentful of Daphne, but we're supposed to believe she would do it again in a heartbeat if she could go back to that day? I don't buy it.

• Love 1

I can't remember- what happened to John's political career?

Daphne happened, is what. He was never the type to be good at that kind of job, but she also spent a huge amount of time getting him to change his mind on basic party platform positions (rightly, I think, but still nothing that would endear him to his base), and then her whole blackmail thing got him on the wrong side of Senator Sleaze (who was, admittedly, hitting on Katherine too). Oh, and I guess there was also Toby, getting into bed (literally) with his competitor's daughter, who, although she withdrew from running, was still pretty well connected. And then there was how Regina tanked a big land deal with Senator Sleaze. So, I guess, every Kennish and Kennish-adjacent helped destroy his political career. Except Bay. Who probably feels guilty about ruining her dad's political career.

I could see Bay having forgotten about applying to the art exhibit after all that's happened, but that lying to try to cover it up thing? She knows better. Toby knows better. I wanted Callie and Rita to march over from The Fosters and give her a talking-to.

• Love 4

I'm not a fan of Daphne but I also don't like how Bay is mad at her for something Bay chose to do. The whole thing is ridiculous frankly.

And what's with the massive muscles and arms this season - both the coffee and dorm guy. 

• Love 1

Sort of boring episode but I liked Bay & Toby bonding. While I suppose everyone's going to have to get over what Bay did sooner rather than later, I thought Toby warmed up to Daphne a little fast. But I guess that's how it tends to be with siblings - hate them one day, over it the next. I agree though that Bay needs to deal with the decision she made. She wanted Daphne to get off, so she can't really be mad that Daphne's living it up at college. That said, why their parents didn't make Daphne live the semester at home with Bay so that she'd have some sort of punishment, I don't really get, but whatever. I think both girls need some counseling.

Anyway, curious, if any of you are hiring managers etc. how would it would go in reality for someone like Bay who has to check off "felon" on job applications etc. do their applications get immediately tossed? Do you look up the crime first?

• Love 1
I'm not a fan of Daphne but I also don't like how Bay is mad at her for something Bay chose to do. The whole thing is ridiculous frankly.

But I like that Bay gets that. She said in this episode that she knows that it is wrong she's mad at Daphne and that's why she's been avoiding Daphne because she is angry but feels guilty about feeling angry. To me that's a very real kind of situation. 

Daphne’s roommate is sweet, if a little painfully eager. I like her – she’s one of the few new characters who wasn’t introduced as a bitch (see Natalie, Sharee, pretty all the deaf kids).

At first I was worried it was going to become an obsession kind of storyline, but I kind of liked where it went. Although, when I went to college I didn't expect my roommate to be my best friend or to do things with me etc. We were just roommates assigned by a computer not destined to be BFFs. 

Can everyone please stop saying Daphne’s life is sooo hard “because she’s pre-med”? She just started college. She’s not performing brain surgery. She is taking Chemistry 101, and maybe 3-4 other very basic intro-level courses. Yes, it’s a tough major…but not a couple of weeks into the semester.

Agreed. It's making me think she is not going to be smart enough to handle the REAL pre-med classes. If regular freshman chemistry is this hard for her, she'll never pass Organic Chem (which I have heard is a killer, although never took myself). 

Anyway, curious, if any of you are hiring managers etc. how would it would go in reality for someone like Bay who has to check off "felon" on job applications etc. do their applications get immediately tossed? Do you look up the crime first?

The next question on an application usually is explain the situation so it is possible to look at it from the perspective of 'does this matter for the job I'm currently hiring for?'  I've worked in HR for years. When I was at a university it could even help bolster your 'street cred.' Arrested for a protest or something along those lines, that means you're passionate about what you believe in. I worked with a guy who hired a convicted pedophile to work in the kitchen of the dining hall of the company he worked for. This was a place where only adults worked. He was a good worker. His felony wasn't pertinent to the job. It also depends on the job market, the unique skills the candidate brings to the workplace etc. 

In Bay's case time will be on her side. When she's in her 30s a crime she committed at 18 isn't going to matter as much as trying to get a job at 19 with a recent felony conviction. Since the crime was vandalism (IIRC), she may be able to get away with it in the artistic community by saying she was a street artist who got caught. But it very much will impact her ability to get a job. Some types of jobs you can NEVER have had a felony conviction. She can eventually apply for a certificate of rehabilitation which should help in the job issue.  Eventually she may be able to try to get it expunged. 

That said, why their parents didn't make Daphne live the semester at home with Bay so that she'd have some sort of punishment, I don't really get, but whatever. I think both girls need some counseling.

I definitely agree with this. Daphne didn't pay for her actions. She did vandalize the site. Yes she was upset blah blah blah, but it seems like Daphne doesn't suffer the consequences of her actions. 

• Love 8

I think I'm in the minority because while I get that it was Bay's choice, I do think she has a right to upset with Daphne. They all do. Not simply because Bay is cleaning up her mess, but because nobody would have had to sacrificed anything if she had taken a few minutes to just think about her choices. I know the show wants us to believe Daphne was so stifled by grief, but she wasn't some victim here. She voluntarily took coke (which, okay, that in and of itself, a lot of people have experimented) but in her high phase, decided to throw a couch off the roof. That could have seriously injured someone. Then she vandalized the construction site. And lastly, stole Oxycodone from the clinic. The doctor there could have been fired. I mean, come on. Saying it was Bay's choice is not the magic eraser here. But the show really refuses to acknowledge what Daphne did as anything beyond it got Bay in trouble. 

It's why I liked Toby's anger and speech. Don't get me wrong, I love that he was being protective of Bay, but he was also coming from a place of being disappointed in Daphne for doing any of this. And I wish they hadn't backpedaled there to be honest.

But like I said, I am probably in the minority with this one. 

• Love 16

I think I'm in the minority because while I get that it was Bay's choice, I do think she has a right to upset with Daphne.

I agree with you.  Bay did choose to bail Daphne out of her mess by sacrificing herself.  She can even still believe it was the right choice - and still be mad at Daphne for putting her in that situation to begin with.   And she can certainly be angry that Daphne is suffering exactly zero repercussions (obviously not legal ones, because of Bay, but also within the family), while she's suffering and her family is all "good luck, Bay's a raging bitch on home arrest".

I think Daphne made the wrong choice in not going away to school, and telling Bay she was doing it to stay home "for her".  Bay needs the space - it's clear.  She's saying that she can't be around Daphne because it's too hard; she can't watch Daphne living it up at college and NOT feel angry, and it's totally understandable.  I think in time she will - and SHOULD (because it was her choice) - get past it, but it's too much to ask of her right now in the middle of it to be forgiving on top of self-sacrificing.  

• Love 9

I agree with you.  Bay did choose to bail Daphne out of her mess by sacrificing herself.  She can even still believe it was the right choice - and still be mad at Daphne for putting her in that situation to begin with.   And she can certainly be angry that Daphne is suffering exactly zero repercussions (obviously not legal ones, because of Bay, but also within the family), while she's suffering and her family is all "good luck, Bay's a raging bitch on home arrest".

I think Daphne made the wrong choice in not going away to school, and telling Bay she was doing it to stay home "for her".  Bay needs the space - it's clear.  She's saying that she can't be around Daphne because it's too hard; she can't watch Daphne living it up at college and NOT feel angry, and it's totally understandable.  I think in time she will - and SHOULD (because it was her choice) - get past it, but it's too much to ask of her right now in the middle of it to be forgiving on top of self-sacrificing.  

Yes, exactly. It's too easy and too simple to just say "Bay made a choice. Everyone get over it. No one should be mad at Daphne," when there's zero repercussions for Daphne. Because it completely ignores the fact that Daphne did some messed up shit and maybe if she focused on that, she could better understand why. Actually, I really could care less about Daphne to be honest, but I'd rather she (and Bay) talked to someone about the switch and other things so that they don't continue in this pattern, wherein Bay is self-sacrificing and Daphne explodes and goes off the rails but (supposedly) feels guilty about it and that makes everything okay. But I doubt that will happen.

And oh how do I agree on the family basically being all "Peace out. Enjoy Bay being a nasty shrew," when, I don't know, maybe understand why she's upset? It's like Bay isn't simply grounded and being a petulant child? She has reasons to be upset? Valid reasons. 

I also don't think there's anything wrong with Bay needing space. It's completely justified. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 2

It's too easy and too simple to just say "Bay made a choice. Everyone get over it. No one should be mad at Daphne," when there's zero repercussions for Daphne.

Is anyone saying that, though? I think Bay's attitude is annoying, because she did make a choice. A dumb one, as she is now finding out. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think "no one should be mad at Daphne". Bay's behavior can be annoying and people can/should be mad at Daphne. Both those things can co-exist.

• Love 3

I agree jammaker.

As stupid Bay's decision was, I think the least that could've been done was leave Daphne to fend for herself for a while without as much help and let her figure things out on her own. I know she's technically an "adult" but there were avenues they could have taken to teach her a lesson.

If she chose to stay in KC, then they should've knuckled down even further and have her on lockdown. If she wasn't studying then she'd be working part time hours at the car wash to pay for her own tuition/seed money, a percentage of that going toward paying Regina back for her failed project, and ALL her activities would be monitored for at least a year. They should keep her so busy that she wouldn't have time for boys or anything else but work and study.

That's just me though.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 6

Is anyone saying that, though? I think Bay's attitude is annoying, because she did make a choice. A dumb one, as she is now finding out. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think "no one should be mad at Daphne". Bay's behavior can be annoying and people can/should be mad at Daphne. Both those things can co-exist.

I didn't say they couldn't co-exist. But the issue is why do you think Bay's behavior is annoying? Is it because she's upset with Daphne? That's my point. Bay is included in the people who can/should be mad at Daphne.

I think my issue is the fact that it was Bay's choice being used as a counter-argument by characters in the show (Toby) as to why Bay isn't allowed to upset with Daphne. But like I said, I'm in the minority with this issue. Bay having made the choice shouldn't be the be-all end-all argument, and yet, it seems to be. 

Part of it is Daphne just doesn't seem to get it. She's been texting Bay and Bay isn't responding. And this is after Bay told her she needed to not be around her. We can argue whether or not Bay is being passive-aggressive, and that's fine, but I just don't understand how Daphne can be so dense to not realize Bay doesn't want to be around her right now. She was there for John's birthday, fine. But the rest? Take a hint. If someone wasn't responding to my texts/calls/emails, I'd leave them be for a while. 

And the other part is Bay is struggling herself with coming to terms with it. She admits it was her decision, but she's upset. She has a right to be upset. And then she admits she feels guilty for being upset. Which is why she shouldn't be around Daphne at the moment. Otherwise it's counterproductive. She'll get mad, feel bad about getting mad, and nothing is solved. 

But I guess the mud fight at the end was a way for them to reconcile. Whatever. 

• Love 4
Part of it is Daphne just doesn't seem to get it. She's been texting Bay and Bay isn't responding. And this is after Bay told her she needed to not be around her. We can argue whether or not Bay is being passive-aggressive, and that's fine, but I just don't understand how Daphne can be so dense to not realize Bay doesn't want to be around her right now. She was there for John's birthday, fine. But the rest? Take a hint. If someone wasn't responding to my texts/calls/emails, I'd leave them be for a while.

Daphne has never been able to get it. You have to be there for Daphne on Daphne's terms. She did it to John too when he was very angry with her for the Koto scandal.  I don't think Bay was being passive-aggressive, she's being honest about what she needs at this moment. IIRC It wasn't I need to not be around ever again and now I hate you, it was I need to not be around you right now. Daphne should respect that and let Bay come to her. 

The ongoing theme of this show, though, is that somehow Daphne is the golden child for John. She's the sports lover that he never had with Bay and Toby. To my mind, Bay and Toby should be even more resentful of Daphne than they are. She's had no repercussions from this incident. She had to do community service for the blackmailing scandal but I don't think her parents did anything. Didn't Toby have to work at the car wash when he had to pay all that money back he lost gambling? Where are the repercussions for Daphne. I thought part of what Bay had to pay was restitution. Shouldn't Daphne be doing something to pay that restitution or is she so bogged down by Chem 101 she can't also work a part time job while in college? 

• Love 6

What the hell were those clothes? NO ONE DRESSES LIKE THAT. Not since 1979. All of the tube socks made me irrationally angry. It looked like Battle of the Network Stars all episode. Good lord.* .

*ETA: and the tiny shorts. I don't even think you can buy those. I was looking for leg warmers and headbands to show up on somebody.

Actually, a lot of teens (and others) absolutely do dress like this nowadays, especially during athletic activities. When I go to the gym, I'm often wearing tube socks and short shorts.  I also go to the local roller rink (another blast from the past!) and wear the same type of outfits. And do you watch The Challenge on Mtv? A lot of the female competitors rock the tube socks during the competition. All styles eventually come back around :)

But the issue is why do you think Bay's behavior is annoying? Is it because she's upset with Daphne? That's my point. Bay is included in the people who can/should be mad at Daphne.

It's annoying because she made the (stupid) choice to lie and say she committed the vandalism, and now she's bitching that - hey! - that choice has repercussions (like not getting the NEA-sponsored art thing). She can be mad at Daphne for doing all the shit she did, absolutely. But she can't bitch at Daphne that she has to be on house arrest, etc. That was her decision.

• Love 1

Why is Daphne living in the dorms, anyway? They're right there. She could be at home and commuting. 

I think part of why Bay is mad, or at least part of why I'd be mad, is how easily Daphne rolled over and let her do it. Sure, that was a noble impulse. But Daphne could have shut her down right there, before the intake officer even issued that warning about how Bay had better not be lying. The minute Bay said she did it, Daphne could have said "No, I won't let you do that for me, my sister's trying to protect me, she's not thinking straight, but I need to take responsibility for what I did." But, she didn't. She let Bay go through with it. And if I were Bay, I'd be kind of disappointed in Daphne for that.

• Love 9

I think it's crappy that Daphne got off scot free and is getting to live her life without any repercussions for her actions, but I don't have any sympathy for Bay and her situation.  Confessing to a felony isn't the same as getting in trouble in school; it doesn't go away after you finish house arrest and community service and it will make your life more difficult.  Until a couple of years ago, Bay wouldn't have been able to work in a bar or restaurant in KC, because she has a felony record.

As much as Bay complains about how much it sucks that she's on house arrest and has to do community service, I feel like she really doesn't understand how serious this is.  She lied to save Daphne, she lied to the woman from the Artist Showcase, and she regularly lies to her probation officer.  She tells the women from the Artist Showcase that she's a good person, but a good person wouldn't have tried to conceal the ankle monitor and wouldn't have lied to the woman's face about a gap year and charity work.

Bay might not have actually done the crime, but to the world she did and is acting like she's above it and can lie to get what she wants.

• Love 3

My first real/corporate job I had to check off that box (long story, bored at college, loved antiques, had no money). I stared at it for ever, even thought about not checking it off. But I did, and answered the why. Got an interview, got the job, they never even asked about it. And this is a big, major company. IDK if they even looked at it. Granted, I look very sweet and innocent, so they might not have even seen that I checked it off, but it isn't really the end of the world. But I do like that, after all this "well, it won't matter in the art world like it would for a pre-med student" it did actually matter, and kept Bay from presenting her art.

More and more I find myself hating Daphne's entitlement. IDK what the show is doing with her. Is she supposed to be getting away with all of this stuff because she's deaf? Is it some commentary on how society treats people who they consider disabled? Like, poor Daphne is deaf so lets not make life any harder for her, and well, Bay grew up with everything so it's okay if we shit all over her. IDK, I don't get it. She just comes off as such a self involved bitch at times.

And I HATED the mud fight. Not the fight itself which was kind of adorable, but the idea that Daphne once again gets away with it. As pissed off as Bay has every right to be, a mud fight shouldn't have made everything better. Daphne shouldn't get off that easy. Ugh, this show. I really only watch now for Bay and Toby. I want them to run off to LA to hang with Emmitt and the new girl. I liked her.

Though it is pretty freaking naïve to think a deaf kid with no experience is going to be accepted on a film set where everything is time pressure and yelling and QUITE ON THE SET. I'm not saying that, down the road, once he learns ways to deal, that Emmitt can't work on films, but to just show up with him and expect him to be able to keep up? No one is going to go out of their way to face him when talking, doubt any of them sign, and as proven, he can't hear the cues to keep quiet, etc. It was just a bad, bad idea. But I'm glad the show showed it and didn't act like he'd magically fit right in. He's not Daphne with her magical lip reading skills after all. It's not always easy, especially with so many people flying around yelling.

• Love 4
I suspected she would grow resentful of Daphne, but we're supposed to believe she would do it again in a heartbeat if she could go back to that day? I don't buy it.

Exactly, I can get that she made a rash decision and now resents Daphne for it. But I would think she'd decide she didn't want to do it again, only she has to live with the choice.

Agree 100%. Moral of this story: If you didn't do it, don't say you did. Bay inserted herself squarely into the middle of a situation that had absolutely nothing to do with her. This was Daphne's mess to work out, preferably with the help of parents and a good attorney. That's what attorneys do- get more serious charges knocked down to less serious ones, especially with the promise to pay full restitution for the damage caused. There were so many directions this could have gone. Yes, Daphne has gotten off scot-free and Bay gets to be mad about that. But Bay also has to accept that what she signed up for is more serious than a slap on the wrist.

• Love 2

And I HATED the mud fight. Not the fight itself which was kind of adorable, but the idea that Daphne once again gets away with it. As pissed off as Bay has every right to be, a mud fight shouldn't have made everything better. Daphne shouldn't get off that easy. Ugh, this show. I really only watch now for Bay and Toby. I want them to run off to LA to hang with Emmitt and the new girl. I liked her.

Agreed. I would have kicked Daphne in the face if she threw mud at me like that. That would have made me even more mad about it all (well, it did actually, just watching it).

• Love 4

This was an okay episode overall and seemed to be one that will set the stage for some coming drama.

I liked that they showed the reality of Emmett entering into the "hearing" movie world.  A lot of people become freaked out easily when they are faced with something they don't understand.  So the director's reaction was completely and unfortunately real.

Emmett needs to hook up with some other deaf movie-enthusiasts and start a production company where they make exclusive deaf films.  

Skye is cute as a button but I hate that they made her so instantly willing to kiss Emmett.  I mean he is a serious hottie, but i'm an E-Bay shipper all the way!

The "mud fight" at the end must mean that everyone will be fwends again in the next episodes.

Daphne continues to bug me.  Bay has every right to be pissed at her.  Maybe she can't be mad at the fact that she chose to take the fall, but she can be mad at the fact that Daphne let her.  Bay cared enough about Daphne to try to "save" her... but Daphne being who she is (self-absorbed / entitled), didn't care enough not to let her sister do that. 

And where the hell are the parents in all of this?  While John and Kathryn are busy pursuing their personal aspirations, neither have really even stopped to consider what it is Bay is going through right now.  Neither have really scolded Daphne for her continued reckless behavior and the effect that it has on the family as a whole.  

Regina has always been super protective over Daphne and not so much protective over Bay, so i'm not very surprised that she just simply didn't get involved.

As usual, Toby has no good storylines and is simply used as a prop for the girls.

• Love 5

Yes, but Daphne is a hot mess, whereas Emmett is just hot. I totally buy everyone falling for him. :)

Emmett is hot?

Huh.

As usual, Toby has no good storylines and is simply used as a prop for the girls.

Considering the usual storylines they come up with for Toby, I think that his being a prop for the girls would be better.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

I love this show but I DESPISE this storyline. It is so fake anyway. I mean this felony is going to follow Bay around. Daphne did it and needs to live withthe consequences. It's so insane to believe that the cops etc and the parents all agreed to go along! I just hate it! It's the dumbest thing ever and makes me want to quit watching. My son got into some trouble with the law....nothing too serious but I learned all about how you CANNOT have any police record or your life is seriously messed up. From getting federal financial aid, to a Visa in a foreign country, to job applications. There was no reason for her to screw up her life like this. 

Oh and hells yeah Emmett is one hot deaf dude.

• Love 6
Emmett is hot?

Huh.

Yes indeedy -- Emmett is hot! Wish I had a cutie like him around when I was in my 20s. I totally get Bay's angst over missing him. 

I mean this felony is going to follow Bay around. Daphne did it and needs to live withthe consequences. It's so insane to believe that the cops etc and the parents all agreed to go along!

I would have liked the writers play it straight... You know, actually have Daphne plead guilty and see the fallout from it. I'm not convinced they would have put the angelic-looking Daphne in jail for long -- despite her past record. The prestige of her family, her sob stories (switched at birth, grief over the loss of her father, deafness) would have surely garnered her a lighter sentence; not to mention overcrowding. 

I can see her serving a week or two and getting out early because of overcrowding (ala Fiona on Shameless, or hell Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan). They could have put an ankle monitor on her and had her on the chain gang for 90 days... had her cope with her surroundings, get on the bad side of one of the inmates, pass drugs to guy, get punished with more time. All the stuff they did to Bay!

That could all worked for Daphne too and the added challenge of being deaf would have showed her there are actual consequences for your actions. Somehow I think the writers couldn't stand the idea of having Daphne working on a road crew. Daphne's first community service at the clinic was super cushy. It was a dream. She had two men fighting over her and even discovered her true calling to medicine.  

Bay could have gone out to L.A. with Emmett and they could have learned life in the big city is not so easy... They could have shown them having trouble making ends meet... trouble with their relationship and Emmett's struggle trying to make it in the film industry. 

There were just so many better ways to go than the direction they did. It's so silly that Daphne suffered no real repercussions (except being told off by Toby and Emmett) for everything she did... even the the blackmail scheme: Stealing drugs, snorting cocaine, property damage, vandalism and being an all-around snotty little shit. 

Sure she's shown some guilt... but, seems to have gotten over it pretty quickly -- already engaging in "meet-cute" scenarios with her potential suitors. 

She's going to come out of it all smelling like a rose... I'm sure the next "dilemma" in her life will be the interpreter and the frat-boy Ashton Kutcher look-a-like fighting for her affection.

• Love 5

I would have liked the writers play it straight... You know, actually have Daphne plead guilty and see the fallout from it. I'm not convinced they would have put the angelic-looking Daphne in jail for long -- despite her past record. The prestige of her family, her sob stories (switched at birth, grief over the loss of her father, deafness) would have surely garnered her a lighter sentence; not to mention overcrowding. 

I can see her serving a week or two and getting out early because of overcrowding (ala Fiona on Shameless, or hell Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan). They could have put an ankle monitor on her and had her on the chain gang for 90 days... had her cope with her surroundings, get on the bad side of one of the inmates, pass drugs to guy, get punished with more time. All the stuff they did to Bay!

That could all worked for Daphne too and the added challenge of being deaf would have showed her there are actual consequences for your actions. Somehow I think the writers couldn't stand the idea of having Daphne working on a road crew. Daphne's first community service at the clinic was super cushy. It was a dream. She had two men fighting over her and even discovered her true calling to medicine.  

Oh please, we all know the way it would have happened with our speshul snauflayk Daphne.  Two hot male inmates would end up fighting over her.  They'd get punished for it, of course, but the (male) guard would let them off easy once Daphne commands him to, and then he'd end up falling for her too.   

Edited by Zima
  • Love 8

A random thing that bugged me ...

Why was Daphne yelling at the janitor about closing the bathroom and for telling her it would probably take 6 weeks to fix and there was another bathroom in the building they could use?

What the heck does she expect him to do?

This bugged me too! I think her attitude exemplifies her privileged attitude!

Oh, another thing - I was so angry at how the Kennishes were talking about Bay in the beginning. Oh, Bay is in a bad mood these days. She's angry a lot. Poor us for having to deal with that. Gee, think that might have something to do with her taking the fall for your bio-daughter and realizing how that's ruining her entire life? After they totally kept kicking her down the road of how "great" it was for her to take the blame, now they're not even giving her any slack in dealing with the fallout.

I know, right? They are acting like she's pouting about being grounded!

• Love 3

You know, it would be interesting if the Kennishes were shown to be upset at and dismissive of Bay now, but because they're mad at her for taking blame for Daphne. It could have ended up in a moment when Bay really realizes how much her parents do love her, how much she is still their daughter rather than a mistake that got fixed once Daphne came along. But nope. "Pouting about being grounded" does sum up the extent of their feelings.

• Love 6

Also, it seemed entirely unrealistic that the school would not be more interested in finding out who the prankster was. If the bathroom was going to be out of commission for so long, it must be a fortune to fix! Do these dorms not have RAs or any authority figures?

I would have loved it if John had said to Daphne, when she asked for his help, to fix her own problems for once, but no... That would have been too good!

• Love 3

I couldn't believe the writers went with "Daphne's Dorm Hijinks" as a story line for this episode.  What a contrast from "Bay Loses Her Dreams...Again."  And then they top it off with, "Daphne's Got Her Roommate's Back."  Um, what about Bay's back?  Daphne can't be a good friend to her sister, but she's going to be a good friend to a stranger she just met a couple weeks ago?

I guess Daphne will end up in the Kennish mansion while Bay becomes homeless at the end of the series.

• Love 6

I couldn't believe the writers went with "Daphne's Dorm Hijinks" as a story line for this episode.  What a contrast from "Bay Loses Her Dreams...Again."  And then they top it off with, "Daphne's Got Her Roommate's Back."  Um, what about Bay's back?  Daphne can't be a good friend to her sister, but she's going to be a good friend to a stranger she just met a couple weeks ago?

I guess Daphne will end up in the Kennish mansion while Bay becomes homeless at the end of the series.

Did you see this tweet from the creator/writer?

https://twitter.com/LizzyWeissSAB/status/557729826908672004

My jaw just dropped.  What about Bay?  When does she get to have some lighthearted fun and happiness? I guess Daphne throwing mud at her because Daphne was tired of dealing with Bay being mad at her counts as fun.  

This show continues to present Daphne as some long-suffering Deaf heroine, while Bay is just a spoiled brat who they all just have to deal with.  It's so awful how everything always circles around back to Daphne and what Daphne wants and what can they all do to make sure Daphne is happy.

I'm sure whatever the promos are suggesting happens with Bay will once again circle back to Daphne somehow.  It won't be about Bay.  It will be about Daphne being a good sister to Bay.  Too bad she couldn't have been a good sister and not let Bay take the blame for her.

But "Daphne gets to be a doctor" has become the catch-phrase to justify anything that happens to Bay from this point forward that could have been avoided if she had gone to LA with Emmett.

I really hope Bay one day recognizes that none of them give a shit about her well-being and packs her stuff and gets the hell out of there.  She has NOTHING going for her with her family in Kansas City.  Nothing.  No school, job, anything.  She serves no purpose other than making sure "Daphne gets to be a doctor."  The writers don't seem to be interested in giving her anything to do either other than be a pain that her long-suffering family has to deal with.

• Love 4

But "Daphne gets to be a doctor" has become the catch-phrase to justify anything that happens to Bay from this point forward that could have been avoided if she had gone to LA with Emmett.

You know what I'd like to see? Daphne starts taking pre-med courses and finds out that, well, it's just not for her. Maybe she finds the material too dull, or too challenging (that's if the writers allow her to be anything less than a wunderkind), or she just doesn't want to be a doctor and would rather focus on other goals. That'd actually be a really interesting conflict. She'd feel guilty that Bay took the fall for her and she doesn't even want to do the thing that Bay's sacrifice was for. And Bay would be beyond pissed. And frankly it's realistic. Daphne wanted to be a doctor for all of a few weeks before Bay took the fall for her. It's not some lifelong dream or passion (unlike, say, food and cooking).

Get on it, writers!

• Love 5

You know what I'd like to see? Daphne starts taking pre-med courses and finds out that, well, it's just not for her. Maybe she finds the material too dull, or too challenging (that's if the writers allow her to be anything less than a wunderkind), or she just doesn't want to be a doctor and would rather focus on other goals. That'd actually be a really interesting conflict. She'd feel guilty that Bay took the fall for her and she doesn't even want to do the thing that Bay's sacrifice was for. And Bay would be beyond pissed. And frankly it's realistic. Daphne wanted to be a doctor for all of a few weeks before Bay took the fall for her. It's not some lifelong dream or passion (unlike, say, food and cooking).

Get on it, writers!

Somehow, Daphne failing at pre-med would turn out to be Bay's fault.

• Love 4

Somehow, Daphne failing at pre-med would turn out to be Bay's fault.

Bay's sacrifice was too much pressure for her!  She couldn't focus!  It was too hard for poor Daphne!  Bay being mean distracted her!

John would yell at her for doing the thing he was patting her on the back for before.  He bugs.  He's going to be spending more time with Travis?  How about finding some way to help Bay with her future instead of Travis?

Travis is so redundant to me.  He's Emmett if Emmett hadn't fallen out of favor with the writers and been replaced.  Other than his family situation, there's no reason to me that the stories they give him couldn't be given to Emmett.  He's Melody's son, has a hearing girlfriend, and is hanging with the Kennishes when Emmett gets no story with any of that even though he was originally involved in all of that.

I'm also tired of his sad, puppy dog face and annual sob story.  I'm sure the magic, never before seen baseball skills will manifest into his annual temper tantrum about how hard or unfair things are for him.

(that's if the writers allow her to be anything less than a wunderkind)

Never happen.  Even when she messes up, there's always an excuse made for her and she will always lands on top.  This show would be much better if it got over it's obsession with Daphne being at the center of everything going on.

• Love 2

Given Daphne's track record, it won't be long before she decides she doesn't want to be a doctor. She wants to be an actress. She'll run off to Hollywood to join Emmitt, who she will then steal away from Bay because, let's face it, she hasn't ruined Bay's life enough for being switched and getting the rich parents.

And how exactly has Daphne's college life been all that hard? Okay, she had to get some hot guy to interpret for her so she could jump the wait list and get into the class she wanted. Some hearing kids were talking too fast for her so she had to get special notes so they would be her friend. Both of these things ended with Daphne getting exactly what she wanted with really no real effort on her part (her roommate knew the perfect guy to interpret and her deafness got her the notes early which gave her her group back). Shut up Daphne and shut up show about how hard her life is. Please.

I remember early on liking the girls equally. There were even times I liked Daphne better than Bay, but the show has skewed so hard toward Daphne getting everything she wants and Bay getting constantly shit on that I hate Daphne more than pretty much any character on TV right now. Way to go show.

• Love 5

I agree with the poster who stated Vanessa is a much better actor than Katie , so she gets more trauma in her life. I hope this ends soon because I'm ready to give up on this show. I've come to really resent both Daphne with her screwing up, and Regina with her continual hookups.

• Love 3

So I tweeted this

.@LizzyWeissSAB I'm sick of Daphne getting everything she wants in life including fun and Bay getting crapped on at every turn. WTF???

and I still haven't gotten a response. When/if I do I'll post what Lizzy had to say.

• Love 4