Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Fate's Right Hand

Not Dewey 'GD' Crowe!  Wow, next week looks intense. Holy Crow(e)!

My only nit pick - Raylan is still a douche to Ava and arrogant as heck. He'd do well to listen to Art.

Edited by soapfaninnc

RIP, Dewey Crowe.  You poor, sad, dumb bastard.  Could see that coming a mile away but still felt bad about it anyway.  A terrific final episode for Damon Herriman as the character shines once again.

Very good episode.  It started off slow I thought and I found some of Ava's scenes with Boyd to be boring.  But it definitely picked up in the second half.  I also appreciated that this episode focused mainly on the established characters.  Raylan was definitely an ass to Ava but Ava has no one to blame for her current situation but herself.  She could have left Harlan a long time ago and choose to stay.  She chose to hook up with Boyd knowing what he is and become a partner in his criminal activities.

A lot of good lines as always.  The end made me worried about the future of Raylan.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Damn, Dewey Crowe. Though Boyd's track record of burying bodies hasn't always been the best, has it?

Raylan is so damned cocky, I feel like some of what Art told him will come to fruition. And he was such a dick to Ava!

This Episode had me at shirtless Boyd and Lucinda Williams playing in the background. Walton Goggins is just brilliant. I can't wait to see when/ if he figures out that Ava's ratting on him, what he'll do.

• Love 6

I saw it coming from the moment Dewey started talking about the good old days, but it was still quite emotional, with a distinct Of Mice and Men vibe.

Yeah, me too.  And, especially when Boyd mention Devil by name, because I remembered what happened to him.  I figured this meant Dewey's ticket was punched.  I'll miss that stupid bastard.  I hope Damon Herriman continues to shine in other shows; he was pitch perfect in this role.

Really glad that it seems like the main story for this final season is going to be Raylan vs. Boyd.  This is how it should end.  Right now though, I don't see anyone coming out ahead.  I feel like Boyd is destined to fail, but I don't see a happy ending for Raylan either.  Honestly, I really think the way he is treating Ava is going to come back to bite him.  Now, obviously, she is a criminal and knew the score, but he is going out of his way to hurt her, and I don't see that ending well for him.  I don't think she is going to side with Boyd, but I think she is going to find a way to try and take out both.  Really, really curious to see where this is heading.

Hey, Garrett Dillahunt!  I'm sure you wanted Raylan's house for totally legitimate reasons!  I'm also sure that you will be back.  I wonder what his deal is?

Glad Tim got a decent amount to do.  Not enough Rachel, but I'm glad she's still in charge.  I hope they keep Art in the role he is in now, and have him retire.  I wanted Rachel to remain the boss.

Jere Burns name is still in the credits, so I'm guessing Wynn Duffy will be coming back.  But, judging from the previews, it seems like the real danger is going to be Sam Elliot.  Hell yeah!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Sniper Tim:  "Well, some guys just peak too early."   <snort>

I, too, had a strong feeling that Dewey was going to die, just before he did.  I'll miss that crazy bastard. 

Welcome back, Justified.

• Love 4

I'm not as perceptive as the rest of you.  Did not foresee the splattering of Dewey's grey matter.  My breath caught and I started to cry.  I know Boyd Crowder has done a lot of evil things; odd that this is the one that has hardened my heart against him.  No matter how good Walton Goggins looks with his shirt off...  ::sigh::

• Love 8

Boyd staring at Ava while she slept was creepy as all hell. Boyd is definitely coming unwound and its a slow progression that started last season. I think the tension between him and Ava was powerful. He seems scared of this Ava - who had to survive on her own in prison, who doesn't need him. Boyd was much more in control of himself when he was sure of Ava and her love for him. That's gone.

Ava is acting just like she did after she and Raylan split. She let Boyd in but kept him at arm's length and refused to have anything to do with his criminal crap. Of course Boyd was trying to play it straight then but I don't think how she's behaving right now is something Boyd would find out of character. 

Raylan being a dick to Ava would be easier to tolerate for me if he wasn't such an arrogant asshole. I missed something - but was it really Tim's idea to follow Dickey or was it Raylan's? The smug asshole never once can admit he's wrong or that someone else has a point. I agree Art's remarks are a warning but I don't think Raylan can hear it. Raylan using the social worker to get at the Crowe's was the reason Art got shot and he can't even be bothered to think about that?  Don't get me wrong, he's still got potential and I still basically like Raylan, but he's sorta stagnant as a character right now. Not much growth.

I did love him hitting that guy with the shovel. And the stuff in Mexico. 

Winona better get used to that night shift. 

• Love 2

I agree that Raylan was being an asshole and it'll come back to bite him in a major way, but he was right - if Ava doesn't know about Boyd's bankjob before it and even after it, she doesn't serve a purpose. And after all Ava has done, it's not like she was unjustly imprisoned.

Dewey was a great character but his exit was due. The squinting at the pictures ("Look at the flowers" ala MrsRafaelBarba or maybe "Look at the miners, Dewey...") was a good touch.

• Love 2

:sits and waits for Sam Elliott:

Was it my imagination or did he not have a mustache in the previews?  That just seems wrong somehow.

Glad Tim got a decent amount to do.  Not enough Rachel, but I'm glad she's still in charge.  I hope they keep Art in the role he is in now, and have him retire.  I wanted Rachel to remain the boss.

I was starting to get really annoyed that they only showed Tim for a second at the beginning, without any dialogue.  I was sure that was it for him and he and Rachel would be sidelined yet again.  I'll admit I cheered when he popped back up with Raylan--I love that smart-ass pairing.  But yeah, more Rachel please.

I'm not as perceptive as the rest of you.  Did not foresee the splattering of Dewey's grey matter.  My breath caught and I started to cry.  I know Boyd Crowder has done a lot of evil things; odd that this is the one that has hardened my heart against him.  No matter how good Walton Goggins looks with his shirt off...  ::sigh::

I had a crazy theory that Dewey was going to be the only one to survive purely for being a strangely-lucky dumb bastard.  But if they had to kill him I'm glad they had Raylan smash his face into the steering wheel like he did in the very first episode so everything could come full circle.

Gosh I missed this show.  It was worth staying up crazy late to watch it.

• Love 1

Watched about 5 episodes from season 5 before  the new season started last night.  It was a good refresher to how Ava has changed. She really deserves prison for the rest of her life.  Raylon was right to remind her (and the audience) how she killed her husband in cold blood.  The killing of the pimp was not even mentioned.

All the characters have become harder.  Raylon seems to become tired of playing games with these idiots.  I was sorry to lose Dewey but he was a major threat to anyone with a brain.

• Love 4

Can someone  please explain how the fingerprint spray led Boyd and Co. to the right Safety Deposit Box?  

Did he have advance notice from Katherine that was the box in question, and the appearance of said prints led him to believe that the "deposit" she was looking for was there? That's my best guess, but I could be wrong....

• Love 2

I didn't see it as well. As a matter of fact my only wish for this season was that Boyd and Dewey don't get killed. Now half of that is gone and I feel Boyd won't make it as well.

Poor Dewey.  I wish he could have at least gotten that six dollar blow job before he got shot.

I don't care what happens to Ava and Boyd but I do hope that Raylan, Rachel and Tim make it out alive.

• Love 5

In my head, kept thinking "Look at the flowers Dewey. Look at the Flowers."

Great song played in the opening, before the credits.

Spot on!!

I will deeply miss '4 kidney' 'teflon' Dewey Crowe.  I laughed at "negligence' and the "$6.00 blow job" and I was bothered with the scene of Boyd watching Ava sleep because it was right after he shot Dewey when he knew he couldn't trust Dewey.  I think Boyd is not trusting Ava so much anymore.  That was not the look of a 'smitten' man in that scene but a man considering his option IMO.

I can't wait to see what Sam Elliot brings to the story but I am even more excited to see Garret Dillahunt.  I think a lot of people will only place him as the sweet 'dum dum' dad/grandfather on RAISING HOPE but if he plays a villain on JUSTIFIED, I think he will be superb.  He played a Russian mobster the 2nd and last Season on LIFE and he was absolutely chilling!

• Love 1

Can someone  please explain how the fingerprint spray led Boyd and Co. to the right Safety Deposit Box?  

Did he have advance notice from Katherine that was the box in question, and the appearance of said prints led him to believe that the "deposit" she was looking for was there? That's my best guess, but I could be wrong....

Your guess is correct.  Advanced notice of when a deposit drop would be made and then the spray to see which boxes had been disturbed since Boyd had been there.  I didn't pay attention to the timeline, but I think it was all the same day? 

He played a Russian mobster the 2nd and last Season on LIFE and he was absolutely chilling!

Plus being unbearably creepy in two completely different ways as Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott on Deadwood, and the Terminator Cromartie and the childlike AI John Henry in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

The guy can play anything, basically.

• Love 6

Yeah, the first time I ever saw Garret Dillahunt was on Deadwood and I've been scared of him ever since.

Am I the only one who had to take a while and think about what happened last season before I could understand last night's episode?

• Love 2

Boyd is a cold-blooded killer but I find the actor so amazing and charismatic that even now after seeing him kill that poor dumb bastard Dewey I can't hate the character. Also, I find Raylan very unlikable - he is such an arrogant douche bag. Boyd won't have a happy ending of course but Raylan's arrogance makes me doubt that he will either.

I was really happy when I saw Garret Dillahunt one of our best actors.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 5

Really loved the opening being in Miami with Winona and the baby, it wasn't what /i was expecting at all which made me thing the final scene in the finale would mirror it.

That guy wanting Raylan's land made me thing something is coming through Harlan. To build or oil, something to make it worth a lot. 

Aww Dewey. I'll miss him, he was so funny, I liked his wanting to be how it was speech.

Boyd already totally is onto Ava, it's not Raylan who will get her killed. It's herself. 

• Love 1

Spot on!!

I will deeply miss '4 kidney' 'teflon' Dewey Crowe.  I laughed at "negligence' and the "$6.00 blow job" and I was bothered with the scene of Boyd watching Ava sleep because it was right after he shot Dewey when he knew he couldn't trust Dewey.  I think Boyd is not trusting Ava so much anymore.  That was not the look of a 'smitten' man in that scene but a man considering his option IMO.

I can't wait to see what Sam Elliot brings to the story but I am even more excited to see Garret Dillahunt.  I think a lot of people will only place him as the sweet 'dum dum' dad/grandfather on RAISING HOPE but if he plays a villain on JUSTIFIED, I think he will be superb.  He played a Russian mobster the 2nd and last Season on LIFE and he was absolutely chilling!

Plus being unbearably creepy in two completely different ways as Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott on Deadwood, and the Terminator Cromartie and the childlike AI John Henry in The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

The guy can play anything, basically.

I loved him on Terminator - Sarah Connor Chronicles. I loved Cromartie and then as Henry - the 'Good?' Terminator. I hated that series got cancelled because it really took  great twist at the end. The actor is amazing, I agree.

I can't help feeling that bridge is going to be there in the end. It's been such a part of the series - I think we've had at least one scene there every season. 

The previews for next week look great. 

• Love 2

Damn, Boyd Crowder is scary, and Walton Goggins is way sexier than he should be. 

Raylan is still pretty.  Nice foreshadowing by Art, like so many viewers have speculated, that Raylan and Boyd will kill each other.

I like that Joelle Carter is looking rougher, worn out and defeated.  It's very realistic.

• Love 5

I sympathized with Ava after she killed her husband (were they married? it's been so long!) in S1, but lost sympathy when she totally fell in with Boyd, and then when she started running whores.  While we're remembering Deadwood, Ava is sort of a combination of Trixie and Joanie Stubbs -- and she even looks a bit like Kim Dickens.

As for those safe deposit boxes, I get that they'd know which boxes were disturbed, but I'm still confused about why they'd think those boxes had items of value.

Damn, Boyd Crowder is scary, and Walton Goggins is way sexier than he should be. 

He is all of these things, and damned talented, to boot.  He can do anything in my book, a few months ago, he had me in awe of his portrayal of Venus Van Dam on SOA ( He looks as good in a dress as he does in trousers)   How this man has never won an Emmy boggles my mind.

• Love 8

As for those safe deposit boxes, I get that they'd know which boxes were disturbed, but I'm still confused about why they'd think those boxes had items of value.

Without having seen the rest of the season, I'm guessing we will be told that Katherine Hale directed Boyd to get the box with that specific ledger.  She and Wynn Duffy wanted to get in with Boyd to rob banks or at least a bank.  They aren't in on the action, so they have to be providing something to the heist.  Best guess would be they are providing information.  Boyd's talking about some huge haul, one that would allow him and Ava to live happily ever after in paradise. Presumably that ledger will lead to the big haul.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1

I actually dont understand why Raylon is so hellbent on killing Boyd, I mean the scene with Art....wtf Raylon? How about you just arrest him and send him to jail? Personally I think Raylon's bloodlust for Boyd is a bit forced given their history and how many times they interact on a somewhat reasonable level.

Poor Dewey. Great character but they had to do something big in the opener and you could see it coming.

Man i REALLY hope we get plenty of Winn Duffy this season! However with 2 major new characters appearing I suspect we wont. Too bad, I just hope they dont kill him in some god awful way.

He is all of these things, and damned talented, to boot.

Anyone who hasnt watched the Shield should, Goggins is superb throughout the series and has a fantastic character arc to work with.

Presumably that ledger will lead to the big haul.

According to the previews it looks like those were Sam Elliot's ledgers and what pulls him into Harlan.

Edited by tv-talk
  • Love 2

Without having seen the rest of the season, I'm guessing we will be told that Katherine Hale directed Boyd to get the box with that specific ledger.

So she's betraying someone she's in business with?  Because otherwise, she wouldn't know which bank, let alone which box. 

So she's betraying someone she's in business with?  Because otherwise, she wouldn't know which bank, let alone which box. 

We haven't been given that information and we don't know who the ledger belongs to.  Though it's rather easy to determine what bank someone is using.  And the box was figured out by Boyd.  That's the reason he sprayed the boxes, the reason they ran a black light over the boxes to see which ones had been disturbed since Boyd had been in the bank.  

We haven't been given that information and we don't know who the ledger belongs to.  Though it's rather easy to determine what bank someone is using.  And the box was figured out by Boyd.  That's the reason he sprayed the boxes, the reason they ran a black light over the boxes to see which ones had been disturbed since Boyd had been in the bank.

I get that he knew which boxes had been disturbed.  But how did he know they weren't disturbed by my grandpa looking at his baseball card collection?

I may have imagined it but I thought I saw an X written on one of the boxes--like someone had smeared their finger across it to mark it for the black light.

Am I the only one who had to take a while and think about what happened last season before I could understand last night's episode?

No, you weren't.  The "previously on Justified" thing helped but I had forgotten a ton.  And since I wasn't crazy about last season at all, I didn't bother rewatching it first.

• Love 2

I loved the first couple seasons of this show but goddamn have the writers gotten lazy. Come on; so Dewey got out of jail by employing the "I was just kidding defense" and also the "I only had the drugs to keep them off the streets" plea?  That is going to come as very good news to a lot of folks who are currently incarcerated.  Fire your lawyers, guys, just tell the DA you were just kidding!  If they couldn't come up with a better way to get Dewey out of prison, then they should have just had Boyd have him shanked in the yard.  I get it, they need to remind us that Boyd's a bad guy, since they spent 2 or 3 seasons making him into a folk hero, but that was just sloppy writing.  I also dislike intensely how lawless Raylan has become (not that he was ever a by the numbers guy, but when was the last time he obeyed any law?) but also just how contemptuous, arrogant and downright mean he's become.  Wasn't he pretty sweet in the first season, isn't that why we liked him?  I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but it's like the writers don't like the show anymore.  Or is this just because since Elmore Leonard died, they have no inspiration?  I don't know.

• Love 3

I get that he knew which boxes had been disturbed.  But how did he know they weren't disturbed by my grandpa looking at his baseball card collection?

My guess would be that if grandpa had come to look at his baseball card collection on the same day and around the same time as Mr. Ledger Man came to drop his ledgers in a safety deposit box, Boyd and his boys would have cracked the boxes for all those that had been disturbed.  Fairly simple.  They rehook to the panel, driver reverses again, they take more boxes.  But apparently there was only one box that had been disturbed since Boyd and the other guy had visited earlier.  Another guess might be that the lady at the bank was also in on it in some way.  The camera focused on her when they were robbing.  I figured it was to point out that she was wearing the same clothes to show us it was the same day, but it could have been to hint to us that the lady played a part somehow.  Maybe she gave a signal.  This is probably unlikely since they apparently only had one set of prints to indicate only one box had been disturbed since the morning when they had been in the bank.  

In the end, the plot and shooting schedule probably just decided that one go at the bank was enough so Ledger Man dropped off his ledgers at the right time and Boyd and crew don't have reason to go back.  

Edited by bluebonnet

They wouldn't know.  I think that's why they took multiple (four?) boxes, expecting only one of them to be their actual target.  Even when they opened the last one, with the ledger, they were confused that it didn't seem to hold anything worth going after. 

• Love 1

Seems they went after specific boxes based on which had recently been opened (or maybe intentionally marked) and it's surely Mary Steenburgen or Wynn who marked them or perhaps knew they'd been opened. Those two were part of the robbery just not shown in this episode.

I actually dont understand why Raylon is so hellbent on killing Boyd, I mean the scene with Art....wtf Raylon? How about you just arrest him and send him to jail? Personally I think Raylon's bloodlust for Boyd is a bit forced given their history and how many times they interact on a somewhat reasonable level.

I think Raylan wants To kill Boyd so badly because against Boyd, he's the loser. I remember in the first episode, that Rayaln had his chance to kill Boyd, but he couldn't do it because Boyd saved him in the mines. Since then, that has changed. Boyd became relentless in causing hell in Raylan's life, and to kill him would be answer to all his problem. There would be no more Boyd, and Raylan has also killed his last link to Harlan, and I think that is what is really driving him to hunt Boyd.

Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 2