Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Anonymous

• Start Topic

I'm not trying to nitpick, but the organ procurement agency my hospital uses does not require any type of permission. If a person is of age and is a documented organ donor, the organs will be harvested, regardless of how the next of kin feels about it. If a facility accepts government reimbursement of any kind, they are legally obligated to partner with the agency in their area. If brain death has occurred, or if a patient's Glasgow Coma Score is 5 or less, we have to notify them, and then they step in. If the person is a documented organ donor, they dictate the protocol for the patient's care. If not, they come and speak to the family, and that's the only time they ask permission. It's heart-wrenching, that's for sure, no matter what my own opinions may be.

I saw a lot of those comments. People seriously need to educate themselves before they make life decisions based on what they saw on a crime procedural.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 3

Found this on the AMA website, part of an ethics case discussion.  An OPO is an organ procurement organization.

Even when a patient has a signed organ donation card, the OPO often seeks family permission to proceed with donation. The Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (1968, revised 1987) established that a signed organ donation card is sufficient to proceed with donation, and it has been confirmed recently that such documents function legally as advance directives. In the United States, however, it is customary for the OPO to request permission from the next-of-kin due to fear of litigation.

Recently, several states have passed legislation establishing "first-person consent" whereby the family cannot override an individual's documented desire to be an organ donor. Some states have established first-person consent registries for people interested in being deceased organ donors. This is based on the strong belief that the donor's wishes should be adhered to. It is not dissimilar to a last will and testament that disposes of our personal property and assets after we die. Each year more states are passing first-person consent laws that are strongly supported by the OPOs and the transplant community.

There are far too many people who think like the one you quoted from the other site, Normasm.  They think that, if they identify themselves as potential organ donors, they won't receive good medical care, because someone will want their organs.  I've had people verbalize that to me.  I think they all read (and watch) too many conspiracy stories!

• Love 4

CBS, via NCIS and Criminal Minds, seems determined to convince us that women in their forties dressing like demented children is adorable.  There's some pathology there somewhere, nothing else can explain this.  Kitten ears.  Gawd. 

I know this was referring to Garcia and I don't disagree but Garcia is not in the public eye, for the most part so I don't really care. It's my problem with Reid  and I don't mean to start any flame wars as I know he is beloved here but really, if production or MGG had any intent of moving the character forward into more of a "lead" I think he would be dressed and groomed far more appropriately. Not looking like a rumpled 12-year-old who slept in his clothes and can't be bothered to shower or use his big brain to figure out what a comb is for.

I think the way they dress Garcia, Reid, and the NCIS character is supposed to be visual shorthand so that they don't have to work too hard to make us understand how smart and quirky and geniusy these characters are. Garcia and whatshername are just so smart and such unconventional thinkers that of course they can't dress like everyone else. Reid is so much the stereotypical nerd that of course he's not only a trekker and a whovian, he doesn't understand what's appropriate and professional. I'm surprised , given the way the show has taken some things to caricature levels, that they haven't started having poor Reid wear a pocket protector.

Apparently you can't be smart and mature at the same time.

• Love 8

Yes, JMO and Droogs, states can and do differ in what they require. In the last several years, some have really emphasized caution, and others have not put extra restrictions where there weren't any before. I know firsthand about mine, and have a generalized idea of the other 49.

• Love 2

As an organ donor and donation advocate, this episode pissed me off. As already noted, more than just being an organ donor would be necessary to be a match for the unsub's daughter. Also, it's ridiculous that the unsub just happened to have the right knowledge to ensure that every gunshot was in the perfect location to cause the body to be eligible for donating. The daughter should be on a nationwide registry, so the "kill people in my community so we have a local organ" thing is also sort of warped (I mean, more warped than the concept of *murdering altruistic people* for your own purposes).

• Love 6

I think the way they dress Garcia, Reid, and the NCIS character is supposed to be visual shorthand so that they don't have to work too hard to make us understand how smart and quirky and geniusy these characters are. Garcia and whatshername are just so smart and such unconventional thinkers that of course they can't dress like everyone else. Reid is so much the stereotypical nerd that of course he's not only a trekker and a whovian, he doesn't understand what's appropriate and professional. I'm surprised , given the way the show has taken some things to caricature levels, that they haven't started having poor Reid wear a pocket protector.

Apparently you can't be smart and mature at the same time.

"Visual Shorthand" I love this!  +100 for your post. ; )

• Love 1

I'm too lazy to go back and quote people so I'll just add some comments.

I saw a number of posts from people who watched last week who said it was the death knell for them. So, some people did quit because the previous episode sucked so much. 

I didn't get any weird sexual tension from anyone in this.

I think they easily could have had *some* sort of fallout for JJ from the previous week without even assigning any lines of dialog about it. It could have been handled in subtle looks. Reid could have approached JJ in the background and they could have nodded to one another. JJ could have looked a little disheveled and team members could pat her on the shoulder or give her looks. All very subtle things. I mean, look how subtle it was when Reid was having his headaches-- the other team members didn't even have to react. All it took was Matthew cringing and rubbing his leg in a few episodes. Unfortunately this show no longer does subtle.

I wondered about the organ donor bracelet. I don't have one. Funny thing is that I have family members who were upset with me for marking myself as an organ donor because they believe that doctors won't try as hard to save someone if they are willing to donate organs. My personal thoughts are that if I'm fucked up enough that they would have to go through extra measures to keep me alive, I probably wouldn't want to ever wake up. I'd rather die than be a vegetable and I'd rather have my organs be put to good use.

I do agree that the whole killing people who are organ donors thing is so old and has been done to death-- and done better-- in other shows.

Nothing really stuck out to me about the directing in this one, so I think it was ok. I have to say I prefer Matthew's style of directing more than TG's and JM's (and it has nothing to do with me being a Reid fan). I do find things I dislike in his style (moving the camera too much at times), but his episodes are usually very visually appealing, tend to have good music that is just the right volume, and usually he gets a good emotional performance out of people. 

Every time they show the New Directions place I can't help but feel like its a commercial. There are other groups for veterans and I wish they would mention that. If they are going to mention stuff about veterans, it would be interesting if they mentioned that scam the VA pulled where they post-dated applications for disability for veterans who were injured in the line of duty- because they didn't process them in a timely fashion, some scumbags went back and changed the dates to make it seem like the veterans had applied for benefits at a later date and there were people who were dying because they weren't getting their benefits and couldn't afford medical. Although, even if someone can afford medical, the VA itself is notorious for horrible treatment. I personally know/knew people who got substandard care from the VA and two of them had botched surgeries.

I was wary of the Viet Nam stuff before this one aired. My father was a Viet Nam veteran, so I'm a bit sensitive to how veterans are portrayed and how they show things in flashback and such. The show "Tour of Duty" seemed to get it right a lot (at least according to my father). In the past when this show has done some of the flashbacks it was too cheesy and just didn't feel right.

One thing I forgot to mention that I did like was how Rossi talked about how he was not on a good path prior to joining the military. My father was in the same boat-- he was an 8th grade dropout who'd been told he was stupid by most of his teachers, he had a cop who constantly harassed him because he ditched school and hung out with some kids who got themselves into trouble. But the Army gave him a test and told him he was a genius and gave him a chance to do something with his life and get a better education. He credited the Army with saving his life and it opened the door for him to get into law enforcement.

I'd actually like to learn a little bit more about Rossi's childhood and what his parents were like and such. I'm assuming they are no longer alive (although I believe Joe's mother is still alive).

• Love 5

Every time they show the New Directions place I can't help but feel like its a commercial.

I'll admit to watching this episode and then reading these posts under extreme fatigue, so I kept reading this as ONE Direction instead of New Directions and was thoroughly baffled for a while. But I digress. 

I, um, didn't hate this? I didn't think it was good and the whole UNSUB plot was just stupid, but I enjoyed having Rossi on my screen even though I could've done without his daughter. I've never been really interested in the whole Harrison Scott storyline - it was nicely done, and I liked that we learn the "scars" line Rossi says to Emily in Slave of Duty actually came from Scott - but adding the whole daughter part to it was just too much. The whole "Dad" exchange was cheesy as shit. Was this supposed to parallel the UNSUB's love for his daughter? That was weird. 

I'd actually like to learn a little bit more about Rossi's childhood and what his parents were like and such.

Me too. From the Reckoner, it seems like he could've gone down a way different path and chosen organized crime instead of setting up the BAU. Of course, I don't trust the writers to do an actual decent job of writing for these characters these days. Thankfully, there is always fanfiction. 

• Love 4

I didn't get any weird sexual tension from anyone in this.

Maybe it was just me then. I felt the way the daughters were looking at their fathers gave off that vibe to me, especially the UnSub's daughter. That whole opening scene just screamed creepy to me:

-We already know (*sigh*) the guy is the UnSub, so I expect weirdness already

-We've got the daughter, looking at her father very lovingly in her eyes

-The UnSub is seated in his recliner, while his daughter pretty much stands over him and approaches him with intent

-The camera angles here made a lot of use of showing the daughter from the waist up, like a lot of sex scenes do

-She then- I think- sits on either the armrest or his lap, acting as if she's mounting him, and then leans in to give him a kiss. It's not apparent that the kiss is aimed at his forehead until the camera angle is changed to the UnSub's head.

I admit, maybe I read too much into it, but given the show's propensity for creepiness (and not always in a good way), I wouldn't put that thought past CM.

• Love 1

Maybe it was just me then. I felt the way the daughters were looking at their fathers gave off that vibe to me, especially the UnSub's daughter. That whole opening scene just screamed creepy to me:

-We already know (*sigh*) the guy is the UnSub, so I expect weirdness already

-We've got the daughter, looking at her father very lovingly in her eyes

-The UnSub is seated in his recliner, while his daughter pretty much stands over him and approaches him with intent

-The camera angles here made a lot of use of showing the daughter from the waist up, like a lot of sex scenes do

-She then- I think- sits on either the armrest or his lap, acting as if she's mounting him, and then leans in to give him a kiss. It's not apparent that the kiss is aimed at his forehead until the camera angle is changed to the UnSub's head.

I admit, maybe I read too much into it, but given the show's propensity for creepiness (and not always in a good way), I wouldn't put that thought past CM.

I didn't notice those things, Daniel, but seeing as Joe directed this episode, this makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like to think he would consciously make choices like that with the camera.

• Love 3

I didn't notice those things, Daniel, but seeing as Joe directed this episode, this makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like to think he would consciously make choices like that with the camera.

It may not have been Mantegna who made those choices- it could be the writer telling him this is how I wish to portray it. Certainly it'd be the writer saying “have father and daughter have UST”, not the director- the director's job is to make sure the script is played out the right way.

• Love 1

I don't see anything sexual about the daughter looking at the father lovingly. There is at least one picture of Joe with his daughter sitting on his lap. She seems to be a daddy's girl. I was a daddy's girl too. Even as an adult I used to rub my father's shoulders and hold his hand in public (the shoulder rub was because I knew he had pain). He was a huggy person and I loved him more than words can describe-- but there was never anything sexual.

I don't think there was any intent for it to appear as something sexual. 

(not trying to criticize you for thinking that though-- each person perceives things in different ways).

• Love 5

Hey, zaneej, me too! Total daddy's girl! I didn't see anything remotely sexual between the UNSUB and his daughter, unlike in Heathridge Manor, where the brother and sister were clearly giving off Flowers-in-the-Attic vibes. 

(I told my dad about the ridiculous plot of this episode and he said he was glad that the UNSUB achieved his goal, even though he thought the UNSUB's methods were beyond stupid.) 

Speaking of dads and daughters, I don't feel any chemistry between Rossi and his daughter. To be fair, they've only discovered each other for all of 7 minutes, but Rossi was really paternal towards Seaver and their interactions had much more of a father-daughter vibe than Rossi and Joy (wait, is that her name?). 

Edited by idiotwaltz
  • Love 3

I was not a daddy's girl, and my brother was not a mommy's boy neither. We were raised to be very independent from an early age, and that included not acting like a child when you already weren't one. It puzzles me when I watch someone over seven or eight being dragged by a parent by taking his/her hand, and also sitting on their laps. They are not toddlers, so If 'the child' is an adult, I find that very strange.

I am not sure about the sexual tension, but my take is that this relationship is not a normal one. I mean, this woman just met this man that is her biological father, and she instantly love him as a dad? She doesn't even really know him. I met one of my aunts for the first time when I was 21, and when my mother introduced us we didn't hug, cry or anything. And they haven't seen each other for over 26 years (because this aunt didn't know about my older sister neither). She was a stranger, and I never saw her again, and I really don't care about her. She was not part of my life. I don't understand why they solve those relationships so quickly on tv. It's not that smooth in real life.

• Love 2

Yeah, I believe her name is Joy. I guess the writers thought it would be funny to bring some joy to Rossi's life by giving him a daughter named Joy. I think the lack of chemistry is intentional because I think its supposed to feel awkward for both Rossi and the daughter since they don't really know each very well yet.

• Love 1

I mean, this woman just met this man that is her biological father, and she instantly love him as a dad? She doesn't even really know him. I met one of my aunts for the first time when I was 21, and when my mother introduced us we didn't hug, cry or anything. And they haven't seen each other for over 26 years (because this aunt didn't know about my older sister neither). She was a stranger, and I never saw her again, and I really don't care about her. She was not part of my life. I don't understand why they solve those relationships so quickly on tv. It's not that smooth in real life.

Yeah, I found it weird in the first episode with Joy where she immediately called him "Dad" despite having been raised by her stepfather who, only at his deathbed, confessed to her that he wasn't her real father. It would've made more sense if they'd started with "Dave" and then worked their way to "Dad" and now this is reminding me of a pretty awful show called Life Unexpected, where a long-lost daughter reconnects with the mother who gave her up as a teenager. 

I don't understand why they solve those relationships so quickly on tv. It's not that smooth in real life.

On the other hand, i don't want to watch a six episode arc on how Rossi and his daughter connects while shooting ducks and fly-fishing, so I'm just going to pray this is the end of it. 

• Love 3

My take on Joy and Rossi is that Joy just really likes him, now that she knows him as an adult. She started out stalking him because her stepfather, whom she apparently thought of as her dad, told her about Rossi being her father. Then, he let her see something of what her mother saw in him, and she got it. I don't think she wants "daddy" for herself, but she definitely sees the benefit of having him in her life, and letting him be a grandfather. BTW, the way they handled this thing where Joy comes to him means we don't have to see Grandaddy Rossi yet. I for one am grateful, because we may just all go into diabetic coma when that happens.

• Love 4

You know another thing that occurred to me about Joy's attitude towards Rossi? I think that once i found out my mother had not been honest with me about my father, and especially once I found out she had never told him I existed, I would have some major anger coming up towards her. Big time. As in 'how the hell could you think that was OK?'

• Love 3

You know another thing that occurred to me about Joy's attitude towards Rossi? I think that once i found out my mother had not been honest with me about my father, and especially once I found out she had never told him I existed, I would have some major anger coming up towards her. Big time. As in 'how the hell could you think that was OK?'

I have to agree--the secret baby/secret father/not telling would make more sense if the real dad were a serial killer or in the mob instead of an FBI agent.  It would even make more sense if the mom had been raped, and wanted to protect her child--but in these circumstances, anger would be a reasonable response.

• Love 2

I have to agree--the secret baby/secret father/not telling would make more sense if the real dad were a serial killer or in the mob instead of an FBI agent. It would even make more sense if the mom had been raped, and wanted to protect her child--but in these circumstances, anger would be a reasonable response.

Or, in a less drastic scenario, if she was the product of a fling instead of a marriage. Then I could understand the emabarassment of the mother.

• Love 1

Yeah, maybe it's just me, but a person who would marry someone, figure the spark was lost and at the same time find out she was pregnant, yeah, I can see her possibly hiding it from him for a time, if only to make sure there wasn't this soap opera thing about "getting back together for the baby." But after I was sure that wasn't going on on either side, I'd let the man know he had a baby. I might hide said baby away until he proved himself "worthy", but, yeah, just flat-out not telling someone they have a kid is cruel to the ex and to the kid.

• Love 1

I liked Rossi teaching Morgan about fishing at the beginning.

The show was dedicated to Meshach Taylor(Designing Women). He played Harrison Scott, Rossi's old Nam Army buddy that had fallen on hard times and Rossi helped him reconnect with his family. Well the actor passed away. So it was nice for CM to have an episode to tie up that story It was nice for Rossi to get some old army buddies together for the military funeral. I figured when Thomas told David that he couldn't get a hold of his dad's old crew, that David could pull some strings. And Rossi giving back the metal was great. It was great for Rossi's daughter Joy Struthers to come to the funeral to be with her dad.I like her calling him "Dad". Also to me the young David Rossi and young Harrison Scott's voices were similar to the grown versions. Good picks show! I did think that maybe Joy and May Scott would become friends.

We have not heard anymore of Rossi's and Hotch's new female friends from the Jazz Club.

COTW Frank Cosgrove wounding organ donors so his daughter Estelle can move up the list is an interesting story. So Frank was wounding the donors so that they either falloff list or the donor part has to be removed immediately. Did Betty Wright actually have a car accident and Frank found her? Or did he cause it? Then he shot her in the parking lot of the Hospital? Also seeing that transplant Dale Crawford was a drunk and druggie, Frank gave him 6 slugs. He abused his donation himself. I knew when her boyfriend Keith Doheny came in with the oxygen tank and said he was ahead of her on the list that he was a goner. Frank shot his self so his daughter would get her transplant. Well he knew he'd be in jail forever.

NO JJ PTSD residuals. No Reid asking if she is ok? No estimation on JJ. It had better pop up again at times.

• Love 2

As for the way Joy reacted to establishing a relationship with Rossi, how she feels about her mother lying to her, etc; I think it all depends on Joy's personality and how she deals with things in life. Some people are cold even to relatives who have been in their lives for a long time and others are warm with people they just met. In some ways I can see Joy NOT being upset about the truth being withheld from her if she's not the type to stay angry or hold on to grudges and such. Her mother may have felt that it would make her unhappy and leave her always wondering if her stepfather loved her as much as her "real" father and she might have wanted to seek him out earlier. That sort of thing can be stressful and disruptive to a child. It might not have been the right thing to do morally or ethically, but I think Joy had a happier life as a result.

I sometimes watch a program called The Locator where people go to the guy and hire him to find long lost relatives or friends. Sometimes its a long lost sibling, or a parent, or a child. Sometimes when the people meet, there is an instant connection. Other times one party wants absolutely nothing to do with the other.

webruce, honestly I don't want JJ's PTSD to "pop up" again. I don't mind them having body language in the background to show that she's still stressed, although to be honest, I'm not invested in JJ's character enough to want to see any more drama for her. They already tried and failed in a big way and they need to just let it go. They had no problem dropping all of Reid's arcs like hot potatoes.

• Love 5

As for the way Joy reacted to establishing a relationship with Rossi, how she feels about her mother lying to her, etc; I think it all depends on Joy's personality and how she deals with things in life. Some people are cold even to relatives who have been in their lives for a long time and others are warm with people they just met. In some ways I can see Joy NOT being upset about the truth being withheld from her if she's not the type to stay angry or hold on to grudges and such. Her mother may have felt that it would make her unhappy and leave her always wondering if her stepfather loved her as much as her "real" father and she might have wanted to seek him out earlier. That sort of thing can be stressful and disruptive to a child. It might not have been the right thing to do morally or ethically, but I think Joy had a happier life as a result.

I sometimes watch a program called The Locator where people go to the guy and hire him to find long lost relatives or friends. Sometimes its a long lost sibling, or a parent, or a child. Sometimes when the people meet, there is an instant connection. Other times one party wants absolutely nothing to do with the other.

webruce, honestly I don't want JJ's PTSD to "pop up" again. I don't mind them having body language in the background to show that she's still stressed, although to be honest, I'm not invested in JJ's character enough to want to see any more drama for her. They already tried and failed in a big way and they need to just let it go. They had no problem dropping all of Reid's arcs like hot potatoes.

You definitely may be right that Joy would have had a good and happy life with a nice stepfather who loved her, etc. But it was cruel to deny Rossi and his daughter to know each other, to have the chance to connect, to have a father-daughter bond. At the very least, the mother's actions were cruel and punishing towards Rossi, who might have been a bit of a dick at the time, but if he had known, he would have sooooooo supported that kid. A kid can't have too much love and support, IMO.

The Locator thing? I remember, since I've been a fan of Joni Mitchell forever, that she had a child and gave her up for adoption when she and the child's father split without marrying. When she tried and succeeded in connecting with her daughter 30 years later, it was a mess of emotion and anger and everything else you can name. Eventually, Joni came to a relationship with her "Little Green", and has a relationship with her granddaughter and maybe other G-kids. It's totally not a love-fest when adoptees are found by their birth parents, but it can be amazing. 

Lastly to your points, zannej, yeah, I don't look for this "Reid arc" to be more than lame bookends, since he hasn't been even mentioned in any release or interview. I've been resisting the impulse a lot of folks here have had, to give the series up and shag out. But, we'll see. 

• Love 5

Oh, I agree that it was unfair to Rossi-- and it really didn't make much sense for the supposedly loving wife to pull that crap. There are many different scenarios where it would make sense for the mother to never tell the father about their child and to not tell the child-- but this case was not one of them. Its a contrived story. I know that many of the things on The Locator are not always sunshine and roses, but I've seen a few where they were happy to be reunited. 

Let's just say that if it had been done differently and Rossi knew he had a daughter and/or the daughter knew she had a different father than her stepfather-- the marriage still might not have worked out and Rossi would have wanted to be in her life but he would have been busy. Not sure how much of his life he would have put on hold to make time for a child though-- maybe he would have given up his career somewhat to spend more time with her because he'd already lost one. Or maybe he would have smothered her. There is no guarantee she would have had a happy childhood that way. it could have been an even happier childhood than what she had, or it could have been miserable. In some cases, ignorance is bliss. Granted it would have made Rossi happy to know he had a daughter-- like it did when he eventually found out, but I don't know about how things would have been for the daughter. She may have grown up resenting him.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 2

I just got a chance to watch this and I have very mixed reactions. I enjoyed the focus on Rossi since he's my fav character (after Reid) and Joe Mantegna is probably the best actor the show has. I didn't really love the case at all, while not the worst written one, it just fell flat for me. I really have no interest in Rossi's daughter, that's a storyline better suited to The Young and The Restless and I still maintain that the daughter is played by a very bad actress.

Also can someone please put a muzzle on Garcia? Pretty please? My mute button gets a hell of a workout whenever she's on (which is all the time).

I feel like we should make a missing poster for Reid. When's the last time he's had any real screentime?

• Love 6

I didn't mean to have another big JJ blowup on her PTSD, but there should be little signs of it along the way.There should have been from the beginning. Definately Hotch should be in on it.  Reid should have gone the same route.

• Love 2

What struck me with this episode following on the last is how isolated all of the episodes are, which to me says Fractured Writing Team, not just Bad Writing Team.  I've learned most of what I know about the showrunner and etc from reading these forums, but it seems to me like she must be parceling people out.  "You work on JJ, you work on Rossi, you work on Reid" and so things don't come together well.  The lack of follow-through and consistency of character development is obviously a huge issue, and might explain why i feel (as I said in the last ep thread) like Blake and now Kate are poorly integrated - it's because we get things in such weird random chunks.

I loved Designing Women, and thus Meschach Taylor, and was happy he showed up on CM. It didn't occur to me that they'd do a tribute once I heard he'd died - it's a bit out of place I think considering the importance he had to the show overall, but still nice that Joe M. wanted to do it.  I thought the single flashback moment was odd - I think they tried to do too much in this ep with all the Rossi stuff and the case stuff together and probably left quite a few scenes on the editing room floor.

I don't think the Joy actress is really bad, though her "hang up the phone and look conflicted like we're supposed to think she doesn't want to see her dad when really it's that she's deciding to go to support him" thing was terrrrrible.

• Love 5

Since I didn't know this was Joe Mantegna's tribute to Meshach Taylor, the whole "Taps For Sgt. Harrison" thing was kind of a head scratcher.  None of the writers are clever enough to fold that plot point into a Rossi backstory episode?

So instead, they churn out some ridiculous anti-organ donation scenario.  Believe me when I tell you that 45 of the 50 people in closest proximity to me at this moment are suspicious that being an organ donor might reduce their chances of surviving a surgery.  (I had to argue with the DMV woman to get my license marked.)  They don't need to be hearing that someone might brain them for their livers.

Fail/fail.

• Love 5

Agreed, Candall.  But there are, unfortunately, plenty of people who never let the facts get in the way of a strongly held opinion.  So I doubt that a realistic portrayal of organ donation by CM would have any kind of impact on those in question.

• Love 6

I have to say that the woman at the DMV actually commended me for marking myself as an organ donor; so fortunately it isn't a "problem" everywhere. Of course, if something happens to me while I'm in this town and I get brought to the local ER, my chances of survival aren't exactly high. The ER/hospital is not exactly known for competency or cleanliness. 

aethera, I never go the impression that Joy didn't want to see her father. I just took what she sad at face value.

• Love 3

The quick answers made me smile and consider what I could do, besides complain about my neighbors.  It turns out there's quite a bit of funky lime green pro-donor accoutrement out there, so just in case I keel over in some faraway place that's perfected phone reception and proceeded up the technoscale to organ transplant, I'll be wearing a "Bravelet."    : )

https://www.google.com/search?q=organ+donation+bracelet&biw=1024&bih=496&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=fVDMVL-iEY-XyQSY9oDABQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQsAQ&dpr=1.25#imgdii=_

(Sorry I went all OT/PSA.)

• Love 3

I think the best resolution to JJ's PTSD-so-bad-that-PTSD-doesn't-begin-to-describe-it would have been for Hotch to say at the start of the episode, "I talk to JJ about her actions on our last case and she has decided to take some time off to deal with some things." then she doesn't appear for a few episodes and returns back to normal (or decides to quit - for all you JJ haters out there).

He was denied because of chronic high blood pressure.

I guess killing people is easier than cutting back on salt. "Honey, I love you, you mean the world to me, but you know I can't give up canned soup and beef jerkey.  Daddy will find another way to get you a new liver."

I could be wrong, but I thought the liver was one of the organs easier to match.  Plus, you don't need someone to actually die to get a liver transpant (they can do partial transplants), they should have addressed why they couldn't go to another relative (I would think there are not a lot of people out there that would give up part of their liver for a stranger).  They should have had her need a different organ - like heart or lungs.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

Needs, there a lot of causes of high blood pressure that don't have to do with sloppy eating habits. If a person has a problem with HBP that has become chronic, they will possibly not be healthy enough to make a partial liver transplant. The unsub tried to donate, but was refused for health reasons.

No matter what organ the girl would have needed, there would have had to be a match of blood type, probably (some tissues can be cleansed of all that, and can even come from dead people). Heart donations have to be tissue matched, and if someone needs lungs, they usually do heart-and-lungs, because the vessels in the lungs are so, well, specific, I guess, they can't just "go" with any old heart.

It made sense that this guy would be undone by his inability to make a live donation, which can only be done with the liver and the kidney (of the vital organs). And bone marrow, but, again, only if one is a match.

• Love 2

Needs, there a lot of causes of high blood pressure that don't have to do with sloppy eating habits. If a person has a problem with HBP that has become chronic, they will possibly not be healthy enough to make a partial liver transplant. The unsub tried to donate, but was refused for health reasons.

And even if the blood pressure was entirely caused by his eating habits, cutting out salt and eating healthy probably wouldn't work fast enough to make him a viable live donor (I was just joking in my previous post).

• Love 2

And even if the blood pressure was entirely caused by his eating habits, cutting out salt and eating healthy probably wouldn't work fast enough to make him a viable live donor (I was just joking in my previous post).

Precisely, you're right!

• Love 2

I know that allergy meds can cause hypertension-- and a myriad of other medications that some people need to take. So, there might not have been anything he could safely do to make himself a viable donor. it's also possible that he just wasn't thinking clearly. I don't think they ever established his intelligence level. He didn't strike me as rocket scientist material. :P

• Love 1