Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipating The Slap

Kromm

Yes, it sounds weird.  But it sounds like that slap is meant to just be a launching point for all kinds of other things.

The Slap - Mary-Louise Parker and Peter Sarsgaard Cast

NBC has enlisted two acclaimed actors to star in its provocative upcoming miniseries The Slap. The network has signed Mary-Louise Parker and Peter Sarsgaard will headline the complex family drama about what happens after a man slaps another couple’s misbehaving child. “The seemingly minor domestic dispute pulls the family apart, begins to expose long-held secrets and ignites a lawsuit that challenges the core American values of all who are pulled into it,” according to the show’s official description.

Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds) will play Anouk, a close friend of Hector’s who’s the head writer on a TV show and is now dating the younger leading man. Sarsgaard (The Killing) will play Hector, a husband and father who “loves his wife and family but shows signs of weakness when he finds himself succumbing to the advances of his wife’s teenaged receptionist during his own party.”

• Love 1

God forbid they simply show the Jonathan LaPaglia version.  It's not like his name is exactly unknown in the US (him having starred on several US shows, as well as his brother being even better known).

They could I suppose have also done a Broadchurch/Gracepoint thing and still used him, even if there was a remake.  He certainly does a better American accent than David Tennant.

• Love 2

The Australian mini-series is incredible. I don't understand why American television has to always remake everything as opposed to just airing the original. I'm having trouble envisioning how the story will be translated anyway, since a significant element of The Slap is born from an exploration of Greek-Australian culture.

• Love 3
The Australian mini-series is incredible. I don't understand why American television has to always remake everything as opposed to just airing the original.

Isn't it obvious? Americans are too stupid to understand an Australian accent! (Hey, let us remember Mad Max was also re-dubbed with American slang, etc. because, again, we obviously can't figure anything out!)

The confidence networks have (or, don't have) in its audience is a wonder to behold.

• Love 5

The Australian mini-series is incredible. I don't understand why American television has to always remake everything as opposed to just airing the original. I'm having trouble envisioning how the story will be translated anyway, since a significant element of The Slap is born from an exploration of Greek-Australian culture.

Not that I'm saying they'd be the same, but it is worth noting that if this show follows Greek-American culture instead of Greek-Australian, it's still a pretty distinct culture within it's parent society.

That said, the casting doesn't make me think they're doing that.

I'm perplexed why NBC wants to make this miniseries too, because so much is going to be censored, and I expect dumbed down as well for broadcast tv. I'd give a miniseries a chance if it was on HBO, because I think their original movies usually are well done, but I definitely don't tune in to NBC expecting quality.

This actually looks pretty good. Didn't see the original but I think it is on Netflix. NBC has had its share of quality TV so there is hope for an American version. Plus this is a miniseries and not a full blown series. There is sensored and there is sensored. Hannibal is an NBC show that gets pretty gory and intense. TV doesn't have to be HBO to be good anymore.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

The slap in this series does nothing for me.

I grew up in the 70s. People hit other people's kids when deemed necessary. The parent who hit the other person's child never got in trouble. The kid did, for misbehaving.

There is sensored and there is sensored.

And then there is censored...

Edited by Shelby
  • Love 4

The slap in this series does nothing for me.

I grew up in the 70s. People hit other people's kids when deemed necessary. The parent who hit the other person's child never got in trouble. The kid did, for misbehaving.

My father would have broken the arm of some unrelated person who decided to slap me or my siblings.

• Love 3

I loved the Aussie original of this mini-series. I have definite doubts about how well this will translate to American Network TV, but I still plan on watching since I loved the original so much. I have a feeling I'll likely be disappointed, but given that I thought the original was so good I feel the need to watch the remake even though I know it's unlikely to be on the same level as the original.  

• Love 1

I won't be watching this, because:  I would ABSOLUTELY condone an adult slapping a child who just assaulted another child with a baseball bat, AND kicked an adult in the shins.  That's unacceptable.  We have coddled our children right into tyrants.  Screw that.

• Love 9

I hadn't heard of the Australian version (sounds like my loss).  From that perspective:

This looks like a fantastic cast and a surreal premise.  I'm not promoting domestic violence, but a parent who lets their kid hit another kid with a baseball bat crossed that line and probably several others.  If the parents were friends of mine, I'd explain, IN FRONT OF THE KID, that getting slapped is less tragic than getting shot, and since that happened several times last year in the news, maybe they should count this as a Dar-Win.  (Also, happy birthday tomorrow, Dr. Darwin.)

My father would have broken the arm of some unrelated person who decided to slap me or my siblings.

Mine would have taken it in context...but to turn it around, if I slap another person's kid even to knock a gun out of their hand, and their parent breaks my arm before I can explain--well, that's on me for not outsmarting the kid.

Edited by marketdoctor
  • Love 1

I won't be watching this, because:  I would ABSOLUTELY condone an adult slapping a child who just assaulted another child with a baseball bat, AND kicked an adult in the shins.  That's unacceptable.  We have coddled our children right into tyrants.  Screw that.

I have to agree with this.  One of the reasons bullying goes on in school is because teachers can't do anything.  If they even raise their voice to a child, the parents will show up to raise holy hell.  "Don't you shout at MY special snowflake."  

However, the problem is that every child is different.  Some children respond to just a look, other to a raised voice, but there are some who you might have to smack on the bottom.  The problem is that it takes time to figure out which type of child you have.  

That's bad.  It's not good to just react, better to respond first, saves a lot of trouble and jail time.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Re: the slap itself and how people feel about it: (this isn't really very spoilery, but just to be safe) In the Australian version at least,

the audience was not really asked to take a stance on the slap either way. It is an event that happens that sets off a bunch of other stories and creates some tension between some characters (or exacerbates it, anyway), but the series itself was about those characters and their relationships. Many of the characters don't even have particularly strong feelings about the slap, and the ones that do tend to be among the least likable, so you're not really asked to empathise with either side.

Whether you thought the slap was okay or not would not have effected your enjoyment of the series. 

• Love 1