Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 1/26/15

1/26: Julian Castro (Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development)
1/27: Jill Leovy (author – promoting book “Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America”)
1/28: Oscar Isaac (actor – promoting movie “A Most Violent Year”)
1/29: Sarah Chayes (author – promoting book “Thieves of State: Why Corruption Threatens Global Security”)

• Love 1

Victor, according to current forecasting, taping should occur before the hammer comes down. The worst of it isn't supposed to start until after suppertime. Tomorrow may be another thing altogether.

• Love 2

Victor, according to current forecasting, taping should occur before the hammer comes down. The worst of it isn't supposed to start until after suppertime. Tomorrow may be another thing altogether.

I think tapings going to end when the storm is going to get bad. People probably should know that unless they're staying in the city, getting home via train (Metro North, LIRR, Amtrak, etc...) is going to suck. The roads here are already pretty crappy and the worst of the storm hasn't hit yet. It doesn't help that people have decided that a coming storm means they should drive like they've never driven before.

"Live with Kelly and Michael" sent out a press release a couple hours ago that they've scheduled a rerun for tomorrow morning. I assume tonight's TDS is already in the can, but we'll see what happens tomorrow. Doesn't Jon live in the suburbs now? It might be harder for him to get in & out of the city, unless he decides to stay over (I seem to recall seeing that he'd sold his place in Tribeca, but maybe he kept a smaller pied a terre just in case).

Tuesday's guest, author Jill Leovy, was on "Fresh Air" today. The book sounds really interesting, so I hope she makes it to the studio!

Sarah Palin outdid herself---something I hadn't thought possible. I'm gonna look tomorrow for her entire "speech."

Can't wait for Tina Fey's impression of the speech.

• Love 2

I know it's an easy joke to call Palin and idiot. She's said some stupid things, but all politicians screw up. Biden's famous for it. Most of the stuff she says is the typical manufactured, superficial outrageousness. Wow though. The teleprompter breaks down and she just imploded. Talk about rambling. I don't expect anyone to memorize their speech word for word, but you should be able to overview it off the top of your head. 

Not for anything, I could give a republican speech for 20 minutes or so, and I think the policies are stale and old, and have been largely disproven anyway. I was even talking to the tv when they did the segment on the "new" issues: "Let me guess, deregulation, cut taxes, Obamacare is bad." And sure enough, there you go. You can't pull out material on that?

I find it interesting that they're all piling on Romney too. Nixon lost to JFK and then ran again in 1968. So it's not unheard of. 

If I was the DNC, I'd start putting out ads now, I swear.

Those segments on the Steven King GOP Weekend of Insanity were great. 

I wonder if Palin has something wrong with her,  neurologically.  She's gone straight from Batshit CrazyTown to StraightJacket City. 

I've never cared for her but at least in 2008 she appeared lucid.  It was bullshit, but you could understand what she was saying.  She does seem like she's over medicated.   

She's said some stupid things, but all politicians screw up. Biden's famous for it.

I agree they all screw up, but Palin is beyond just screwing up.  Biden  says inappropriate stuff sometimes, he's trying to be funny, but when he gets down to policy, he's on point.  There is something seriously wrong with her. I wonder what's really in that big gulp cup she takes with her everywhere.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7

I thought that too, but then remember she'd go do appearances and start talking about stuff the campaign hadn't approved and she was actually pretty good at speaking off the cuff.  Like I said, it was bullshit, but she was good at bullshitting. 

She actually sounds like she's drunk or stoned now.  I know this sounds shallow, but she doesn't look like she's taking care of herself, she used to be a very attractive woman, but she's looking pretty rough these days.   Which is another sign of someone who may be abusing substances of some type.  

Alledgedly, that is. 

• Love 1

I know it's an easy joke to call Palin and idiot. She's said some stupid things, but all politicians screw up. Biden's famous for it. Most of the stuff she says is the typical manufactured, superficial outrageousness. Wow though. The teleprompter breaks down and she just imploded. Talk about rambling. I don't expect anyone to memorize their speech word for word, but you should be able to overview it off the top of your head. 

What's ironic about that is the Republicans have a longstanding talking point about how overly reliant Obama is on teleprompters. You almost have to wonder if there was a Democratic mole in there sabotaging Palin's prompter. (According to this article, "there have been several reports of broken teleprompters during Palin speeches.") I think most of those Republican crazies would have been OK without it, but Palin? She really did seem like she was on something. 

Since the snowstorm in NYC wasn't as bad as anticipated, I assume it'll be business as usual tonight.

• Love 1

remember she'd go do appearances and start talking about stuff the campaign hadn't approved and she was actually pretty good at speaking off the cuff.

Katie Couric might disagree. We remember that Tina Fey made quite a bit of hay with her Palin impression quoting her verbatim (skip to 3:57 for what I mean, but do watch the whole thing for the awesome. Amy's blinking still cracks me up.).

• Love 1

Wow though. The teleprompter breaks down and she just imploded. Talk about rambling. I don't expect anyone to memorize their speech word for word, but you should be able to overview it off the top of your head.

What astounds me is admitting the reason for her gaffes was a broken teleprompter. That almost makes it worse, to admit she's actually that bad at extemporaneous speech. She almost might have been better off if they'd said she had a brain aneurysm or something.

Oh, please please please let Sarah Palin run for the Republican ticket, pretty please?!?!?!

Mitt Romney probably figures he's got as decent a shot at the nomination as he did last time; after all, he wasn't the favorite then either, he just waited the rest of them out while they all self-destructed, and there's nothing to say the same thing won't happen again. He (along with the other potential candidates) is also just that delusional that he thinks a lot of voters wish they had voted for him instead of Obama, seeing how utterly disastrous the Obama presidency has been, dontcha know.

• Love 4

I wonder if Palin has something wrong with her,  neurologically.  She's gone straight from Batshit CrazyTown to StraightJacket City. 

I've never cared for her but at least in 2008 she appeared lucid.  It was bullshit, but you could understand what she was saying.  She does seem like she's over medicated.   

I agree they all screw up, but Palin is beyond just screwing up.  Biden  says inappropriate stuff sometimes, he's trying to be funny, but when he gets down to policy, he's on point.  There is something seriously wrong with her. I wonder what's really in that big gulp cup she takes with her everywhere.  

I've thought the same thing for a long time. I can't decide whether she's got a neurological issue, she's on drugs or both but I have no doubt there's something really (medically) wrong with Sarah Palin. Oddly enough, that's the same feeling I've gotten from Bill Cosby for the last few years. 

• Love 1

Oh, please please please let Sarah Palin run for the Republican ticket, pretty please?!?!?!

Oh, iMonrey, loath though I am to disappoint you, but there's no way Snowbilly Snooki will come anywhere near an exploratory committee. Running for office is a fuckload of work, and she can run her grift just fine by staying home and charging for subscribers. She has to say she's thinking about running, but that's just to make sure people are paying attention/money.

• Love 5

Most of the stuff she says is the typical manufactured, superficial outrageousness. Wow though. The teleprompter breaks down and she just imploded. Talk about rambling. I don't expect anyone to memorize their speech word for word, but you should be able to overview it off the top of your head.

The irony is that in 2008 there was an effort to establish a story that Pailn's teleprompter died midway through her RNC speech and she went on like a pro. (Except, reality killed that story, as different documentation of the speech showed the teleprompter kept working.)

• Love 1

That New York sign language guy has a possible future outside his job. Maybe Jon could use him for something.

That wold be true to every GOOD sign language interpreter. That's how it is done, if it is not a whole body, and facial expression thing, then it is not good enough

Palin: She is just ignorant of everything factual and her handlers, loving fans, family (?) keep telling her she is great. She believes that and keeps spreading the pain (of listening to her) and/or gifting the comedians.

I would rather never hear about her again. 

• Love 6

I thought this was a very good show. The weather segment was hilarious. I loved Jordan's piece. The interview was very interesting, and the author was eloquent and enthralling. She kind of reminded me of Elizabeth Warren.

• Love 1

She kind of reminded me of Elizabeth Warren.

I was distracted and didn't hear Jon introduce the guest, so when I looked up and saw  her walking onto the stage I thought, wow, how did I miss that Jon's guest tonight is Elizabeth Warren.  And, as it turned out, I was only slightly disappointed when it turned out to  be someone else.

I thought this was a very good show. The weather segment was hilarious. I loved Jordan's piece. The interview was very interesting, and the author was eloquent and enthralling. She kind of reminded me of Elizabeth Warren.

I finally watched Tuesday's show last night. This was one of the best show's they've done in months.  Jon was on fire!  The "not-blizzard" coverage, and then Jordan Klepper doing the news from a bicycle with the guy running along side him, and on a sled. 

I really wish the police would have pulled Hayes or Lemon over and ticketed them.  If it's Emergency Vehicles only, then get off the fucking road before somebody gets hurt. Idiots. 

Nice to know that even the network people act like idiots when it snows.  I thought it was just the local weather nerds. 

I heard about the book "Ghettoside" on NPR last Saturday morning.   I just ordered it from the library. 

I loved the sign language dude.  He was spectacular.  It was more than sign language; it was language made into choreography.

He is also deaf. Someone (hearing person) in the back of the room signs to him and he signs back in a way that deaf people can relate better. It is really pretty simple: people who can hear and speak, use tone of voice, volume, facial expressions, to convey the message better. Why wouldn't Deaf people do the same?

• Love 7

I don't normally sit unless the train is sparsely populated. But tons of people just lay out on the seats or sit with their legs way way spread. 

I have to slightly disagree with KS, I don't necessarily think that people should be obligated to give up their seats on the train to other able bodied adults. Kids, elderly, pregnant women, of course. There's designated seats for that where I am, and people will get up when the occasion arises. 

Palin: She is just ignorant of everything factual and her handlers, loving fans, family (?) keep telling her she is great. She believes that and keeps spreading the pain (of listening to her) and/or gifting the comedians.

I would rather never hear about her again. 

It would seem that you're not alone: Palin’s speech draws fire from the right.

From the linked article:

Sarah Palin’s odd, rambling speech last weekend before an audience of committed conservative activists in Des Moines has many influential voices on the right saying that the time has come to acknowledge that the romance has gone cold and the marriage is dead.

Men really try to take up two seats on the subway? Are we really that big a dicks? (to coin a phrase)

Sadly, yes.

And truth be told, nobody is really that well endowed.

Edited by fastiller

In a bizarre twist, this afternoon on the bus a man asked a teen girl if she would close her legs so he could sit down. This was an elderly man, so she should have just offered her seat anyway. And she was like, "why?" all snippy when he asked. 

• Love 1

As funny as Jessica's piece was on "mixed marriages," and as absurd as some of the panelists seemed to be, I have to admit - I cannot see myself in a relationship with someone whose politics were so diametrically opposed to mine. I don't have any specific qualifiers like how many black friends they need to have or what kind of car they have to drive, but I can't imagine being with someone whose worldview was so against my own. I think having basic things and beliefs in common is sort of the foundation of a solid relationship, but that's just me. {shrugs.}

• Love 9

Yeah, as a ladyperson especially, I'd have a yoooge problem with somebody whose political allies view me as a non-person. I mean, sure, #notallrepublicans, but if you're voting for a guy who thinks diversity is having binders full of women: gtfo.

• Love 7