Type keyword(s) to search

The Old Haunt: Introductions and Small Talk

Lisin

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I like the name.  My name is the same as it was at TWOP, except that I pretty much lurked and rarely posted.  Spent YEARS reading TWOP, I still remember how excited I was when I realized there was an actual website focused on my TV shows!!  Glad there is a replacement that is welcoming us all!

Hi, flan! There's no need to sign your posts here, as your name appears on the left.

Welcome, everyone! I'm a Castle fan, but I've only posted a couple of times in the TWoP thread for the show. I know it was (is) an active thread, so I hope you all enjoy being able to spread your posts out over different threads here! Having separate episode threads should also make it easier for US viewers to avoid spoilers, and we Canadians will no longer have to spoiler-font all of our posts once we've seen an episode.

Hey Everyone! I'm crawling out of my "lurker" hole to say hello! I've been follower of the Castle thread over at TWoP for a while now. Since it is closing I thought I would come over here and introduce myself. I'm very excited about what's to come in the next few episodes. I really hope we get a seventh season! I think that discussing all things Castle will be much easier here with the various threads. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and adding to the discussion once people migrate over here! 

Hello,

I migrated here from TWOP as well, but I never liked the Castle thread at TWOP because it was so busy and unorganized.  I really like the changes here!

I've moved over from TWoP. I lurked mstly, enjoyed reading all the posts. I may be a bit more active here. I do like the format. I enjoy watching Castle. I watch a lot of reruns on TNT simply because the weekly show comes on after I am tucked away in bed. I do DVR the show so I can catch up during the week. I hope the writers get the dialogue back to the snarkiness it had in the beginning. I like the verbal interplay between Beckett and Castle. Lexis can disappear as far as I am concerned.

I do hope they actual have a wedding. What must the lead characters in a story always be single? Lots of story lines can be generated from the marriage angle.Bones managed a wedding and I love that series.

Love having a new place to go.  Like the site format, especially the divvying of categories.  I loved the OLD TWOP before all the changes occurred, so a site started by the original players has to be a good thing.  And it appears this forum has a shorter list of rules and restrictions, another nice change. 

Looking forward to continuing Castle talk over here..

Taking the plunge and migrating from TWOP. I registered weeks ago, but since things have turned rather unwelcoming over there I thought I'd dip in over here. I don't know how I feel about separate threads for everything, but I'll give it a shot. Hopefully things pick up a bit; one of the nice things about TWOP was that it was always active. But it'll be nice to not worry about accidently breaking a rule, so that's a plus.

Hello all.

Also migrated from TWOP. I like the "spirited" discussion over there but I'm looking forward to have different topics to post on in here.

Looking forward to meeting folks. I think it's awesome that some of the lurkers have come out to say hello. That's awesome!

Happy to see so many of the TwoP folks here already, although I never posted, I often read many posts to keep me sane after some episodes, and we all have the ones that pushed our buttons.  Wishing the site much success, and a Big Thanks for taking on the work !!

Fialka from TWOP here -- registered on these forums awhile ago, but I never pack till the last minute. I actually liked the single thread, but we'll see. It's a bit like moving from a bedsit into a mansion. Lots of room, now we need stuff to fill it....

• Love 2
(edited)

Long time TWOP lurker who jumped in at the last second. I was DoulaNY over there.

Looking forward to fun discussions over here!

p.s. Fialka, would you be a Phile by any any chance? :-)

Edited by GeorgieNY

Hlmac17 over at TWOP, but been wanting to change my name for years but I had the account since '02 and just shy of fanatic status. Look forward to discussion the show over the hiatus and whatever seasons the show has left.

Kept my name from TWoP, so I'm guessing you fine folks recognize me. Also introduced myself in the Intro thread David had up for a bit. While I'm sad to be just shy of Stalker status as TWoP dies, at least PTV has been gracious enough to welcome the rage, snark, and humor in TWoP's stead.

I'm sure all 3 will be put to good use here.

Another TWOP refugee, I'm glad to see some familiar faces here. I enjoyed the single TWOP thread after taking a while to get used to it so it's strange having all this room to post in different places but it might make easier for some folks who wish to avoid certain discussions that irritated them on that thread. 

Good to see some lurkers on TWOP have come out to talk. 

Popping in to say hello. I frequented Television Without Pity for a bunch of shows, including Castle, and it's so surreal to not get email alerts in my inbox today with new TwoP conversations and topics discussed. I stayed up until the site's forums went dark, but in the last hour they must have gotten a ton of traffic because I couldn't get in to make any final posts... and then it ended completely. I'm not sure I've ever been part of a website like that before -- I wasn't there at the very beginning (didn't have a computer back then) but to stay to the end of it was both cool (to be a part of something to the end) and sad (to say goodbye to a great site that had become a fun online home).

Anyway, I may participate here, but it depends. One of the reasons I stopped regularly participating in the Castle thread over on TwoP was because I was starting to feel triggered, offended and upset by all the negative talk about Nathan's weight. Body image, self-esteem and eating disorder issues are serious problems for me (enough that I'm seeing a therapist) so I just can't be around that. If those kinds of conversations start up here as well, I'm going to have to stay out of the Castle forum.

I hope not because I really do enjoy talking about the show itself, its characters, its stories (or, in the case of lately, the struggles the writers and showrunners seem to be having). But we'll see how it goes here.

Regardless, I'm really glad to see familiar names and 'faces' in this new place. Might help make the transition easier! Though I don't imagine it will be too hard -- previously.tv seems like a good site to me.

• Love 1

I was posting as brebner on TWOP. But this is my preferred screen name, including for writing fanfic (mostly Firefly).

I am a professional writer with the Canadian Government for the next two weeks after which I retire and flee Ottawa for the Left Coast.

I have five seasons of Castle on DVD, as well as such fine works as Outing Riley and White Noise 2.

Looking forward to a musical episode in Season 7, maybe as the premiere or during Shark Week.

(edited)

Hello fellow posters, old and new.  Same username as on TWOP.

Been watching the show from the start.  At this point, unfortunately, my expectations have become so low that I just hope we'll still have something interesting to talk about come next season.  Especially now that there are episode specific threads heh.  (I'm glad to see a General Discussion one though.  Will see how moving between the 2 goes.)  Fingers crossed that the writing improves in S7.  The actors and the audience deserve better. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

I am a professional writer with the Canadian Government for the next two weeks after which I retire and flee Ottawa for the Left Coast.

femmefan1946, I don't know why, but when I read that statement I could almost picture Castle taking that info and creating a character in one of his mystery novels out of it. A writer for the government...hmmmmm, suspicious and intriguing... what sort of writing? I can almost hear his hilarious mind coming up with an unassuming protagonist, one that's a writer, working for the government, minding her (or his) own business when she accidentally comes across something that shouldn't be seen. Something some people might kill for. And then she's on the run, trying to protect this information she found and get it to the right people. *GRIN*  A little bit "Pelican Brief" but with some new twist involving government and big business and modern day media. Can't you picture it?  (Heeee.)

Hello!  I finally started watching Castle after a friend recommended it, and I have been mainlining it the past couple weeks.  I'm currently in the middle of Season 4, and I can see why so many people had been raving about it.  I'm also learning there is some controversy, so I look forward to getting caught up so I can read the current discussions here and contribute.  

I was a long time lurker at TWOP but never posted, so I am glad that we have this place to continue great in-depth discussions. 

Icebreaker: I finally am able to see Fillion as something other than super-creepy-scary misogynist preacher Caleb from Buffy, and I'm really glad about that.  I'm hoping that I can backtrack to his other work after this show to enjoy them.  From what I can see, he seems like a really positive role model IRL (I learned that he developed "feed the bird" as an alternative to the fist bump).

• Love 1

Hello. Watched Castle from the beginning. I'm one of those annoying people who rarely has a bad thing to say about the show. 

People who have positive things to say don't annoy me in the least.  The ones who annoy me are those who lambaste people for having anything but positive opinions.  Personally, I think the critics are the ones who have the best impact on shows because sometimes they help things change. 

But for me, it's great if you love it.  Enjoy it!  Good for you.

• Love 1

Hello, former TWoP fanatic.  Didn't quite make it to 4000 posts but then I took a couple years off after Smallville went off the air. 

. I'm not sure I've ever been part of a website like that before -- I wasn't there at the very beginning (didn't have a computer back then) but to stay to the end of it was both cool (to be a part of something to the end) and sad (to say goodbye to a great site that had become a fun online home).

Here, here!  Only joined in 2006 (Gilmore Girls lurker before that) and wasn't around much after Smallville ended (picked up again last fall with Arrow) but it hurt more than I expected when the site finally went dark. 

I never posted (or read) in the Castle forums back on TWoP.  I've watched from the start and have been happy enough not to need to comment but I'm a sucker for debate and I like a poster up thread stumbled into the knowledge of some kind of controversy amongst viewers and I'm curious 

• Love 2

After reading the news about Marlowe, I had to come out of my self-imposed Castle hiatus to see what was being said about the current events.

I was moodyblue at TWoP, and I am moodyblue here. I probably won't post a lot until the new season starts, or at least until the spoilers start to come out. Just wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce myself to those who may not know me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was over at TwoP (gossipcom) + nadmar13 over at ABC MB and finally made the move over here after lurking for a while. Great to see those from over there over here now! You can call me Nadine!

Edited by Nadine

I love that Nathan Fillion is a crazy cat man. I think it's adorable. (And I say this as someone who thinks dogs are too high maintenance and much prefers cats.)

David Boreanez  seems like he's kind of douchey. I didn't see the Comic Con panel or the jab at Castle, but seriously, it's not the first time and at this point I kinda feel like, dude, don't you have anything better to do? Keep your mouth shut, whatever you feel. It's not cute or endearing. It's annoying. (Wasn't he the one that started the whole thing anyway?) Maybe he's got some sort of personal beef with Nathan Fillion back from Buffy/Angel or something. Too bad Castle fans took the bait.

Marlowe took personal jabs at Hart Hanson and David takes shots at Castle. Actor and creator need to worry & work on their own shows and fanbase. Neither really has room to criticize the other show b/c both have had issues & things that could have been done better. JMHO. 

• Love 1

Honestly, even if one of the shows was perfect, it's not cool to publicly take shots at another show.  There's really no reason to do that either.  Talk about your own show and compliment others if you want and leave it at that.  

You can certainly trash another show in private or anonymously on the internet and all that.  But if you're an actor/writer and in the public eye you should be respectful of others.  You never know when they'll have to work with any of those people.

• Love 1

Thanks Wendy.

Didn't Nathan in that recent interview when Ausiello mentioned Bones was now on ten years joke that may be he should speak to David about it? They have worked together on Buffy for a time so they do know each other right through work? I have to admit DB doesn't come over that well to me as a person with some of his comments and attitude. He seems like a guy angry about something quite a lot. 

I don't get the sniping either because yeah you could end up working with these people, seems everyone in Hollywood crosses paths at some point so I'd always be careful no matter what I really thought of someone to publicly keep quiet and adopt the position that if I couldn't say any decent about that person then just don't say anything at all. Otherwise it becomes super awkward but may be it's all part of a game with some of these stars and they don't care. 

Edited by verdana

I'm inclined to think DB and NF are not friends, and may be for a reason. NF only talks about DB when asked and in a noncommittally positive light. If they were friends and DB's been just joshing him lightheartedly with these jabs (as DB always insists) NF would have activated his own trash talk like he does with friends. But he never does with DB. I remember couple years ago, right after some of DB's Castle digs, when the fandom was furious, NF tweeted promoting The Founder (Hart Hanson's new project) starring his friend. He took some heat for that, because fandom wanted him to "fight" DB, not promote Bones friendly shows, but I couldn't help thinking that besides PR for his friend, NF shown that he's not impressed with DB and is not going to play his games, but "kill him with kindness". Because obviously, the surest sign of friendship from NF is teasing, sometimes brutal.

Can't say DB's "joke" at the last year's SDCC looked very friendly to me either. I mean way to go mocking someone in the middle of unpleasant scandal for wanting to work less hours, when you yourself actually already negotiated for less hours and have Fridays off (asfaik). And after having to deal with your own sexual harassment scandal not so long ago. May be he's a nice guy usually, I don't know, but he really thinks with his ass sometimes. Glass houses etc.

Edited by catsrpeopletoo
  • Love 1

Hi everyone--I have been lurking here for months--was mostly in the Y&R thread but it has gotten dicey there lately and I want to be in a happier place---I lurve Nathan from way back to the OLTL days and I barely watched that show then but he caught my eye there and in the movie with keri russell---have been watching "Castle" since day one---love him and Stana and know Martha from way back too---hated the episodes with Pi but other than that I am pretty happy with the ensemble part of the show---never really got into the TWOP Castle thread as it was kinda negative but I am happy to be here and yes I watch old episodes on TNT even though I have seen pretty much every show that aired--lol

• Love 3

Hello!  I've been posting on other threads, but this is my first for 'Castle'.  I only started watching this past season.  Other than that, I've only seen random episodes on TNT.  However, since I've now caught up on all of the 'Bones' episodes I missed (via TNT reruns on weekdays), I'm now recording 'Castle' from the beginning so that I can catch up (after I catch up with 'Castle', 'Hawaii 5-O' will probably be next).  I might still read the old 'Castle' thread that is available on archive.org as I watch each episode, but I look forward to watching the next season with all of you and posting.

Edited by BooksRule

Used to be puppy on TWoP and I was totally over the show after this abomination of a finale. Out of curiosity I checked out the season premiere today with no expectations at all. Not all bad, so I'll stick around for now.

I just had to share my unintentionally Castle-filled day... I'm working in LA and found myself-completely by accident- across from the park where they film the swings scenes- so sat for awhile like a dorky fan-girl. :-) and THEN Annie Wersching (Dr, Neiman)ended up seeing the show I'm working on and I got to briefly see her backstage. She is lovely.

That's all... No one in my life cares!

Sandi

• Love 1

I just had to share my unintentionally Castle-filled day... I'm working in LA and found myself-completely by accident- across from the park where they film the swings scenes- so sat for awhile like a dorky fan-girl. :-) and THEN Annie Wersching (Dr, Neiman)ended up seeing the show I'm working on and I got to briefly see her backstage. She is lovely.

That's all... No one in my life cares!

Sandi

That's pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.  This is the place for it, heh.  Are there normally swings in the park where they normally film the swings scenes?  If there were, you could have swung on them hee.  But probably not if the Castle crew DIY the swings and apparently place them at different places in the park all the time.

Like I said in the other thread, just finished watching Bosch with Annie Wershing in it.  Will be interesting to see what she does next.

I never watched Castle b4, then recently my husband started watching it on TNT.

Now I'm hooked. The banter, sarcasm & wittiness is a fresh take on a well worn genre.

Nathan Fillion, Susan Sullivan & Stana Katic are outstanding. In fact, all of the casting is well done.

Only bummer is I missed S1, so now I have to wait until (hopefully) TNT comes back around.