Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Will he actually be green though?

::harsh sigh::

Probably not. I just don't get how it's more expensive (or whatever) now than it was in the previous seasons. I get them showing his Martian form less often; my problem is not seeing it AT ALL.

24 minutes ago, Trini said:

::harsh sigh::

Probably not. I just don't get how it's more expensive (or whatever) now than it was in the previous seasons. I get them showing his Martian form less often; my problem is not seeing it AT ALL.

Or how The Flash can CGI multiple Gorillas for a longer time than we've seen J'onn in Green for the entireity of his time on SG.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Trini said:

Female Brainy making another appearance?

[As an aside; I love how this shows the difference between filming in Hawaii vs. Filming in Vancouver!]

• Love 1

The actress who plays Andrea confirmed on twitter that she is sticking around for Season six. I'm not happy about that. Sharon Leal, who played Miss Martian has apparently been filming the past couple of episodes. Based on set pics etc. she filmed at least a few group scenes  yesterday. There was a group scene that included Kara, Lena, J'onn, Nia, Brainy, and Miss Martian. Alex has been curiously absent from these scenes.  With Andrea staying and Miss Martian coming back I wonder if a cast member or two is leaving. Since this show has started someone has left either at the end of the season or early in the next one.  

Edited by Oreo2234

It's weird the photos for the next episode aren't out yet. Super spoilery? Or just a screwup somewhere?

----

Anyway synopsis for Melissa's directorial debut, 5.17:

“Deus Lex Machina” — ...

MELISSA BENOIST MAKES HER DIRECTORIAL DEBUT – Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) proceeds to lay an intricate plan to bring Lena (Katie McGrath) closer to him, defeat Leviathan’s latest attack, and pit Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team against Leviathan. It is also revealed how Lex came into power after Crisis.

Melissa Benoist directed the episode with story by Lindsay Sturman and teleplay by Katie Rose Rogers & Brooke Pohl (#517). Original airdate 3/29/2020.

----

Sounds like a Lex-centric episode. :-/

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Sounds like a Lex-centric episode. 😕

That's a bummer for Melissa's directorial debut. I'm pretty sick of Lex and would rather have seen more of almost ANY other character if there's gotta be less Kara in the ep.

• Love 2

There's been a lot of Luthor centric episodes this year. I'm getting a bit tired of it. 

Canadagraphs did a post on a group scene they filmed yesterday . Seems a bit odd Alex wasn't there.  He said on twitter he wasn't sure if it was a cliff-hanger or not. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

Canadagraphs updated his Post with pics from a scene filmed earlier Wednesday. Dreamer, Supergirl, J'onn, Brainy with blond hair, Miss Martian and the stand in for Chyler Leigh (in a black and blue hooded outfit) were in the scene. It's possible she could be standing in for someone else but it looks like she might have the same thing on her wrist that Alex has in the promo photos for the next episode. 

ETA: The color scheme of the Alex outfit is similar to her virtual reality Supergirl suit. I wonder if this is another virtual reality or if she gets a new, real suit. 

Edited by Oreo2234
On 3/12/2020 at 7:05 PM, shantown said:

That's a bummer for Melissa's directorial debut. I'm pretty sick of Lex and would rather have seen more of almost ANY other character if there's gotta be less Kara in the ep.

I read somewhere that she was actually hoping to direct a Lex-centric episode. Not sure of the source on that, though.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I read somewhere that she was actually hoping to direct a Lex-centric episode. Not sure of the source on that, though.

I don't blame her - mythology wise, Lex Luthor is arguably the 3rd biggest character after Clark and Lois. And in this cast, Jon Cryer seems to be well-liked. As a watcher of Supergirl though, this season has definitely gone downhill for me in terms of the characters I want to watch not getting (quality) screentime.

• Love 2

Promo for 5.16:

----

I assume at least half this episode takes place in VR, but outside of that, I wonder how they explain Kara/Supergirl's absence? Because it looks like Melissa isn't in this one much at all. (Because of pre-production for the episode she's directing.)

5.18 synopsis:

"The Missing Link" -

LENA DISCOVERS THE CONSEQUENCES OF PROJECT NON NOCERE - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and the team go head to head against Rama Khan (guest star Mitch Pileggi) and Leviathan. Meanwhile, Lena (Katie McGrath) and Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) must join forces when Project Non Nocere fails, leaving the two siblings in serious danger.

Avi Youabian directed the episode written by Dana Horgan & J. Holtham (#518). Original airdate 5/10/2020.

---

Bleh-- Rama Khan again?

This sounds like a good Part 1 of a two-part finale, but we're not getting the second part any time soon. 😢

5.19 synopsis:

SEASON FINALE

SUPERGIRL

"Immortal Kombat" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

DAVID HAREWOOD DIRECTED THIS PENULTIMATE EPISODE - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) realizes that in order to stop Lex (guest star Jon Cryer) and Leviathan she must work with the one person she never thought she'd trust again - Lena (Katie McGrath).

Nia (Nicole Maines) keeps dreaming about Brainy (Jesse Rath) but struggles with what the dreams are trying to tell her. Meanwhile, Brainy realizes there is only one way to stop Lex.

David Harewood directed the episode with story by Derek Simon and teleplay by Emilio Ortego Aldrich & Nicki Holcomb (#519). Original airdate 5/17/2020.

56 minutes ago, Trini said:

This sounds like a good Part 1 of a two-part finale, but we're not getting the second part any time soon. 😢

Supposedly they took parts of episode 20 and added them to episode 19 to give the season more of an ending.

• Love 1
(edited)

It did sound like they would use at least some of the footage from episode 20. But Jon Cryer did say something that made it sound like the Lex arc would be unresolved. 

Alex isn't mentioned of course. I'm annoyed that Alex has hardly had any story this entire season. Her leaving the DEO was more about giving Brainy a story. Her dad was murdered by Lex Luthor yet it seems like she won't be a significant part of the final episodes.

Edited by Oreo2234
On 4/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, Trini said:

5.18 synopsis:

---

Bleh-- Rama Khan again?

It could be interesting. Remember that he has a score to settle with Gemma and Leviathan for screwing him over. So he's not exactly going to be her/their ally against Team Supergirl.

11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Remember that he has a score to settle with Gemma and Leviathan for screwing him over.

But that happened before the re-write of the universe...

I don't know how reliable this source is...

Scoop: The Future of 'Supergirl'
Mikey Sutton    October 4, 2020
https://www.geekositymag.com/post/scoop-the-future-of-supergirl 

Supergirl will not die in her sixth and final season on the CW. 
Supergirl may be ending because of a ratings decline yet that doesn't mean the character is finished. According to sources, and a possible spoiler warning is required here, Supergirl will be reunited with her former flame Mon-El (played by star Melissa Benoist's real-life husband Chris Wood) and travel to the far future to be with him, ending with them married. Beyond that, I am told Supergirl will then make guest appearances on the remaining Arrowverse series such as Superman & Lois, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow. 

Supergirl may be gone, but Kara Zor-El is going to eventually return.

Edited by tv echo

"Sources". Yeah, all of that sounds like the most basic of fan speculations that everyone is doing already. I highly doubt that site has any information from anyone actually associated with the show, or that the the EPs have already written the ending yet.

But speaking of speculation; I think it's unlikely that they'd end the show with Kara married anyway. Everyone knows that her lovelife has been a weak spot for the series, and they'd have to lead up to something like that. I doubt they'd end so definitively, either. Even if they pair her up with... whoever, I think they'd most likely hint at a relationship going forward.

I just think TPTB will want to keep things fairly open-ended ("adventures continue elsewhere!"), rather than indicate "her journey ends *here* like *this*", unlike Arrow (which had a completely different tone and story). Because I assume that the show's characters will still be doing stuff in the connected universe, even if we don't see them often (or at all).

I hope they don't ship Kara off to the future; I think that would be a more sad than happy ending, since she'd be separated from all her friends and family - again. (Yes, she knows a couple of Legionnaires, but still.)

• Love 1

It does make sense, though, that she'd still pop up occasionally on the other Arrowverse shows, especially Superman and Lois. I mean, otherwise, you'd have the mirror image of the problem on Supergirl's first season, with people wondering why Kara never heard from her cousin (the only living relative she knew of at the time) or called him for help when things got rough for her.

49 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

It does make sense, though, that she'd still pop up occasionally on the other Arrowverse shows, especially Superman and Lois. ...

Well, of course. I think it's a given that Benoist/Kara would make guest appearances on the other shows. That site claiming that as if it's some exclusive spoiler, and not common sense, is what I take issue with.

• Love 1

I don't see Kara being married at the end of the season, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Karamel being left open on a maybe, especially if she does end up going to the future. It's also possible that they'll take advantage of the "it's easier to have married people kissing" issue for the finale or something. 

I also think it will likely be some sort of "the adventure continues..." but that it won't be in National City because you do have the "where's Kara?" problem and it's kind of silly to always say "visiting Argo again!" Whilst Arrow was a very different show I can see them wanting to give her semi definitive ending as well as continuing her journey and the Legion or even Argo City does that. I do think we'll see MB pop up again in Superman and Lois after she leaves but there would be less "why isn't she there helping Superman?" even if she does stay in NC, because Superman. 

• Love 1

I'm not even sure it's a ratings decline that's particularly at fault.  I've read (perhaps from some of us here) that CBS signed the principals to 6-year deals, rather than 7, and this is Year 6. Plus, SG doesn't have the level of positive social media infatuation that, say, SPN has. But I don't think it's SD+3 that's particularly at fault for the cancellation.

So far as Kara going to the future and hooking back up with Mon-El? Uh, he's married and it's not like Imra is a back-bench Legionnaire they could easily kill off.  Comics canon would hook her up with Brainy but the Level 5 Intellect version of Brainy we have here is not, I think, the mate most of us would want to see for Kara.

Personally, I'd love for them to do a LSH show... no, strike that, I'd love for someone with real money to do an LSH show attached to the CWverse.

In short, I have no idea what they're going to do to end Kara's story... but I strongly doubt the random bozo writing that article does, either.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

Comics canon would hook her up with Brainy but the Level 5 Intellect version of Brainy we have here is not, I think, the mate most of us would want to see for Kara.

Speak for yourself! They've already shown that they can and will change Brainy's personality to fit the plot, or even introduce a new version of him, so I think a Kara/Brainy pairing is still possible if they want it -- but I know they don't want it. You're right, though; the Brainy we have now wouldn't be paired up with Kara after two seasons of development with Nia.

I doubt they want to go back to Kara/Mon-El; but they could use Crisis to make him single again, so who knows.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Trini said:

Speak for yourself! They've already shown that they can and will change Brainy's personality to fit the plot, or even introduce a new version of him, so I think a Kara/Brainy pairing is still possible if they want it -- but I know they don't want it. You're right, though; the Brainy we have now wouldn't be paired up with Kara after two seasons of development with Nia.

That's kind of what I was getting at: the existing Brainnia relationship (is that the  right shipname?), plus that they would, once again, need to reboot him into a totally different Brainy, essentially the one time he was super-smart but also a total dick, but without the "total dick" part. I'm not at all saying that JR couldn't play him, but "we're in the back 9 of the last season and now suddenly Brainy is awesome and he and Kara are going to fly off to the 31st Century making googly eyes at each other" would be such a lame, hideously unearned resolution that.... I have no words.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, MarkHB said:

That's kind of what I was getting at: the existing Brainnia relationship (is that the  right shipname?), plus that they would, once again, need to reboot him into a totally different Brainy, essentially the one time he was super-smart but also a total dick, but without the "total dick" part. I'm not at all saying that JR couldn't play him, but "we're in the back 9 of the last season and now suddenly Brainy is awesome and he and Kara are going to fly off to the 31st Century making googly eyes at each other" would be such a lame, hideously unearned resolution that.... I have no words.

And even in the canon comic relationship, I always had the feeling that Brainy was way more into Kara than she was into him. Oh, sure, she liked him, but I just never saw the same level of mutual passion in their off/on relationship that I saw in Saturn Girl/Lightning Lad, Dream Girl/Star Boy, or Phantom Girl/Ultra Boy. So I agree that it would work less well here than it ever did even in the comics.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

She does seem to be filming a lot. I like M'gann but with Supergirl ending I hope they aren't giving a lot of screentime to a relatively minor returning character who wasn't on the show for a long time. Though I would not be surprised if they did that. 

Edited by Oreo2234
4 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

She does seem to be filming a lot. I like M'gann but with Supergirl ending I hope they aren't giving a lot of screentime to a relatively minor returning character who wasn't on the show for a long time. Though I would not be surprised if they did that. 

She's usually paired with J'onn, so I'm assuming it's probably his storyline featuring her.

According to deadline David Ramsay (John Diggle, Arrow) is returning to the arrowverse/DC universe to direct five episodes and guest star in five episodes (not sure if any are the same episodes). He will both direct an episode of Supergirl and guest star in an episode. I wonder if this will have anything to do with Nia's future in the arrowverse?

Edited by Oreo2234
6 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

According to Hollywood North.buzz Chyler Leigh is directing an episode that will feature the young Danvers sisters. Also, apparently someone saw Jesse Rath and Nicole Maines on the same set as the actresses who play young Alex and Kara. I wonder if time travel is involved?

Cool, I've wanted to see another Young Danvers episode, and I assumed they would anyway with Melissa on maternity leave.

Hmm - I hope Brainy & Nia aren't actually time travelling and it's more like they using their powers (combined?) to see the past, not interfere with it.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, Oreo2234 said:

According to deadline David Ramsay (John Diggle, Arrow) is returning to the arrowverse/DC universe to direct five episodes and guest star in five episodes (not sure if any are the same episodes). He will both direct an episode of Supergirl and guest star in an episode. I wonder if this will have anything to do with Nia's future in the arrowverse?

My current theory is that Diggle visiting all most of the shows is this season's "crossover". I'm guessing whatever the story is, it doesn't affect each show that much - if at all.

According to The Direct Supergirl is casting a woman in their 20s/30s to play a "quirky yet powerful Alien witch" who will be "bent on revenge" against Kara and the superfriends. This is a series regular role. Interesting that what appears to be the villain of the season has not started filming scenes yet. I wonder if the early episodes will focus on something/someone else?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

According to The Direct Supergirl is casting a woman in their 20s/30s to play a "quirky yet powerful Alien witch" who will be "bent on revenge" against Kara and the superfriends. This is a series regular role. Interesting that what appears to be the villain of the season has not started filming scenes yet. I wonder if the early episodes will focus on something/someone else?

Maybe she's the villain only for the second half of the season? Maybe they're splitting the season.

https://ew.com/tv/supergirl-azie-tesfai-teases-writing-episode/

She added: "[Episode] 12, in my opinion, for Kelly, is the most epic episode of the season, so I'm excited to get to pen it."

Before the interview ended, Tesfai also teased that Kelly fans will be very excited about where her character goes in the 20-episode season. Said Tesfai: "The fans have been very vocal about what they want to see for Kelly — and I feel like they know what I'm talking about — and they, especially in the back half of the season, will get everything that they want, and it makes me very excited."

Spoiler TV released the titles of the first 7 episodes of next season. Interestingly we know that episode 5 "Prom Night" features the young Danvers Sisters and "Prom Again" is the episode Chyler Leigh is directing. The titles make me think it might be a two part story. I recall that Nicole Maines and Jesse Rath were seen on set with the young Kara and Alex actresses so I think time travel might be involved. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1

Season premiere (last season wrap up) synopsis:

“Rebirth”

SEASON PREMIERE – As Brainiac (Jesse Rath) lays close to death after trying to stop Lex (Jon Cryer), Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team soar in to save him, engaging in an epic battle with Gamenmae (guest star Cara Buono). After beating Leviathan, Supergirl turns her attention to Lex (Jon Cryer) who has used the Obsidian platform to brainwash half the world to love him and follow him at all costs, no matter what horrible things he does. Knowing how dangerous this makes her brother, Lena (Katie McGrath) enlists the entire team – Alex (Chyler Leigh), J’onn (David Harewood), Dreamer (Nicole Maines), Kelly (Azie Tesfai) and Brainiac – to help, but Supergirl realizes that the only way to truly stop Lex is to sacrifice herself.

Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Jay Faerber & Jess Kardos (#601). Original airdate 3/30/2021.

... but Supergirl realizes that the only way to truly stop Lex is to sacrifice herself.

I guess this sets up less screentime for Kara/Melissa. I'd understand if she's only one or two scenes, but I'm hoping she's not entirely gone for some episodes.