Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

The two new characters for Season 5:

Julie Gonzalo (Veronica Mars, Dallas, Eli Stone) will star as iconic DC character Andrea Rojas (aka Acrata). A polished businesswoman and heir to a Central American tech empire, Andrea Rojas (aka Acrata) is now making a hostile advance into the world of media. Unapologetic and unafraid to make waves, she also holds a mystical secret. Gonzalo will first appear as Rojas in the season premiere on Sunday, October 6, at 9/8c on The CW.

UK-based actor Staz Nair — who is perhaps best known for playing Qhono, a Dothraki warrior loyal to Daenerys Targaryen on Game of Thrones will play hardened reporter William Dey, an original character created for the series. On the surface, he’s a cynic and a sellout who looks down on Kara’s earnest idealism. Dey’s not interested in making friends, he just wants to get the story — but his ties to the criminal underworld could prove problematic. Nair (Game of Thrones, FOX’s The Rocky Horror Picture Show, AMC’s Humans) as William Dey will also make his debut during the season premiere episode.

https://comiccon.thewb.com/wbsdcc-2019-supergirl-release/

• Love 1

Interesting trailer!

Kara will find out soon enough that Lena knows about Supergirl.

Even with James leaving, it seems they are somewhat interested in the CatCo aspect of the story and Kara's civilian job. The new characters have potential.

Speaking of James, I absolutely don't want him to die.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Season premiere villain casting: 'Jennifer Cheon Garcia will appear on Supergirl'

Jennifer Cheon Garcia has been cast in a guest starring role in the fifth season premiere of the CW series “Supergirl,” Variety has learned exclusively. Described as the physical manifestation of darkness, Midnight is a murderous villain released from an otherwordly prison to enact revenge against the person who put her there.

"Otherworldly prison" - So... the phantom zone? Or some other prison planet? Does that exist in Superman/DC comics?

Revenge against who? Someone from the team -- J'onn? Or some other alien who happens to be on Earth now?

From Matt's Inside Line:

... But here’s some good news in the meantime: CatCo’s new owner Andrea Rojas (played by Julie Gonzalo) will bring “a little levity and lightness” back into the show, giving us more of “the stuff we miss by not having Calista around.”

They need to have an alternate workplace to the DEO, whether it's Catco or somewhere else because only one workplace for everyone but Lena gets boring and Kara needs something other than just being Supergirl. 

I think Catco has a lot of potential since it's a media company but they really haven't used it to its potential in the last few seasons.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They need to have an alternate workplace to the DEO, whether it's Catco or somewhere else because only one workplace for everyone but Lena gets boring and Kara needs something other than just being Supergirl. 

I think Catco has a lot of potential since it's a media company but they really haven't used it to its potential in the last few seasons.

While I want to see the DEO become the enemy, introduce a new, smaller news company or Daily Planet offshoot. CatCo without Cat Grant was already stretching it but now it keeps going through different management and for such a huge company, especially with Cat's name attached to it just seems embarrassing at this point. Maybe since it wont be run by any of Kara's friends it will make it more interesting but she needs a rival, and a boss who isn't a pushover and is Perry-like. 

• Love 2

I agree that we need someplace outside of the DEO for Kara and other characters to work/associate with, because I think that the superhero/civilian life balance is an important aspect -- even though they've barely explored that the past few seasons. Also agree that CatCo without Cat (or Jimmy soon) is not as interesting, but I'm not ready to give it up yet.

There's J'onn's PI office, but that's a little limited.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:37 PM, legaleagle53 said:

So what's the over/under on how fast she figures out that Kara Danvers and Supergirl are the same woman?

I hope she doesn't! But I don't think she will, since they're already doing the 'secret identity revealed' story with Kara and Lena; and they already did the storyline last season about keeping her identity secret from the DEO and Alex.

Edited by Trini
conjunctions are important! ... also completing a thought
9 minutes ago, Trini said:

I hope she doesn't! But I don't think she will, since they're already doing the 'secret identity revealed' story with Kara and Lena; and they already did the storyline last season about keeping her identity secret from the DEO and Alex.

On the other hand, her secret identity is the most open (and worst-kept) secret at the DEO, and Lena is the only one who had to have it spelled out for her because she simply couldn't (or didn't) do the math herself. That's why Lex made a point of gloating about it even as he was dying. And it was made clear that Cat actually knew all along, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new head of CatCo doesn't figure it out fairly quickly.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

On the other hand, her secret identity is the most open (and worst-kept) secret at the DEO, and Lena is the only one who had to have it spelled out for her because she simply couldn't (or didn't) do the math herself. That's why Lex made a point of gloating about it even as he was dying. And it was made clear that Cat actually knew all along, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new head of CatCo doesn't figure it out fairly quickly.

I guess it depends on how closely they'll be working together? Kara didn't seem to be trying very hard (or at all) to hide her "secret" from the DEO, and most of the others were friends with Kara and/or Supergirl.

I'm thinking that the new William Dey character is more likely to know by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

I agree that we need someplace outside of the DEO for Kara and other characters to work/associate with, because I think that the superhero/civilian life balance is an important -- even though they've barely explored that the past few seasons. Also agree that CatCo without Cat (or Jimmy soon) is not as interesting, but I'm not ready to give it up yet.

There's J'onn's PI office, but that's a little limited.

Have we heard if The Daily Star is a thing on Supergirls Earth? If not then they should make it a spin off of The Daily Planet and have Kara work there. 

Edited by Primal Slayer
18 hours ago, Trini said:

I agree that we need someplace outside of the DEO for Kara and other characters to work/associate with, because I think that the superhero/civilian life balance is an important

They had such a potential with the alien bar - It worked as a place to gather intel for whatever case/villain was happening that week, AND as a social gathering place for the characters, AND could be a characters main place of employment, tying all sorts of threads/purposes together. Still bummed they dropped it. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I keep hearing that Kara is winning a Pulitzer this season. Did that come out at SDCC? 

I haven't heard it but I haven't watched the panel either. But, wouldn't that require Kara to, you know, show up for work?

From EW's Fall Preview:

Supergirl (Season 5)

Season 5 is “much more relationship-oriented than season 4,” says executive producer Robert Rovner. As Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath) face a rift in their friendship caused by discovering Kara’s super-secret, Nia (Nicole Maines) and Brainiac-5 (Jesse Rath) will be adjusting to their new romance.

Oct. 6, 9 p.m., The CW

---

But yet no romance for Kara?   :-/

Yeah, they screwed up the first two of her major romance arcs, but they took a needed break in season 4, and I think they should try again. To me, it seems really unbalanced that she's the one leading heroine without a lovelife (on the CW no less).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Yeah, they screwed up the first two of her major romance arcs, but they took a needed break in season 4, and I think they should try again. To me, it seems really unbalanced that she's the one leading heroine without a lovelife (on the CW no less).

I haven’t liked that she’s the one lead without a love interest. So I’m torn between wanting them to try again, and being weary of how badly they’re going to screw it up. I feel like the new reporter might eventually be a love interest, but they won’t deal with it until the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

while I liked her and whatshisface played by her husband they ruined him in season three.

I find this so amusing because it seems like people who liked Mon-el in season 2 didn’t like him in season 3, while the people who didn’t like him in season 2, though he was better in season 3. There was just no winning with Mon-el. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

I agree. I was fine with her being single but love interests are still a major part of any character and their development. Laurel/Dinah/Caitlin/Kara all spending majority of their screen time without love interests hasn't sat that well with me. I feel like Arrowverse writers really have problems writing romance for their female characters outside of their leads (sans Kara)

• Love 1
Just now, BaggythePanther said:

There was just no winning with Mon-el.

That's it in a nutshell.

In our literature, there is still a tendency in heterosexual couples to have the male stronger or more important than the female*.  When the woman is as powerful as Supergirl, there is the impulse to make the man even more powerful (Mon El in season 2) because that's how relationships are supposed to work (common wisdom). A large part of the audience reacted badly to Supergirl being second fiddle in her own show, which made them pull back in season 3 and pissed off a lot of people who liked season 2.

It's for that reason that I like not having Supergirl in a relationship, because I doubt that they can produce one for her that will please most of the fans. I'm looking forward to this season's relationship drama being about trying to mend things with Lena. In a non-sexual way.

*an advantage of making Batwoman gay.  Even Sara on LoT seems to be ignoring her bisexuality and pretty much sleeping exclusively with women.

• Love 3

I dread Kara getting a romance again. They really messed up the first two times they tried it.We already have the Brainy/Nia and Alex/Kelly romances this season, a Kara romance would be required to get even more screentime and the cast is as overcrowded as ever. I never thought Kara was a character who needed a longterm relationship like Barry and Oliver. If she has any romance just let her date and have some short term romances. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

... a Kara romance would be required to get even more screentime and the cast is as overcrowded as ever.

The cast is fairly large right now, so I'm totally fine with sending off a few characters, or downgrading them to recurring.

2 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

... I never thought Kara was a character who needed a longterm relationship like Barry and Oliver. If she has any romance just let her date and have some short term romances. 

My thoughts also. I'm also fine with her dating around a bit. I was actually hoping for that in the first two seasons.

---

The show hasn't been great with romance in general, so I know I'm tempting fate, but I still think it's important for Kara to have some sort of love life.

Speaking of romance: I'm a little afraid about what they're going to do with Nia/Brainy -- they seemed so uncommitted to that relationship (until the very end) last season.

• Love 1

I'm a little afraid about what they are going to do with Nia/Brainy--they seemed so uncommitted to that relationship.

I thought the writers seemed to really like them. They put more thought and build up into that relationship than Alex and Kelly. 

I'm fine with Supergirl sending off or downgrading a character or two but I wouldn't want them to get rid of another original cast member like Alex or J'onn.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3

Season 5 premiere synopsis is out:

"Event Horizon"

SEASON PREMIERE - Kara (Melissa Benoist) is surprised to find that CatCo has a new owner who has brought in a star reporter. New couples emerge and explore their budding relationships while J'onn J'onzz (David Harewood) receives an unexpected visitor.

Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Nicki Holcomb.
Original airdate 10/6/2019.

Casting news:

Cara Buono (Stranger Things) and Mitch Pileggi (The X-Files) have been cast in recurring roles as ancient aliens in the fifth season of Supergirl, The CW series that returns on Oct. 6.

Buono will recur as Gamemnae, an ancient alien, who with others of her kind, have been safeguarding the Earth from the follies of humanity throughout the ages. Gamemnae’s aim is to use technology to subjegate humans. Gamemnae is cunning, witty, ruthless, and always ten steps ahead of her adversaries. Gamemnae’s agenda puts her into conflict with her would-be allies and on a collision course with Supergirl.

Pileggi will recur as Rama Khan, an ancient alien who is able to control the four ancient elements — fire, water, earth, and air. Arrogant and willful, Rama Khan has been entrusted to use his powers to protect the Earth from mankind for millions of years but now his agenda puts him at odds with Supergirl as well as Lena Luthor.

SpoilerTV has the first set of episode titles (they are usually accurate); and it looks like they've got a theme this season of naming episodes after movie titles. (Which I think they kind of started to do in Season 4, now that I'm looking at those titles again.)

5.01 - Event Horizon
5.02 - Stranger Beside Me
5.03 - Blurred Lines
5.04 - In Plain Sight
5.05 - Dangerous Liaisons
5.06 - Confidence Women
5.07 - Tremors

4 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

It’s taken me way to long to realize that someone in the casting department was a fan of the Dallas reboot. Now I’m crossing my fingers that Linda Gray, Patrick Duffy, and Josh Henderson show up at some point.

Patrick Duffy would be an amazing Jor-El.

• Love 1

It's awesome that Melissa got to play on the stegosaurus, but I hope there's no fight scene there. We'd all want her to pick up the T-Rex and smack someone and there's no way they'd be able to pull that off on their budget.

• LOL 1

5.02 synopsis is out:

“Stranger Beside Me”

TECHNOLOGY BECOMES THE NEW THREAT- Supergirl, Alex, and Brainiac thwart an alien attack while William (Staz Nair) investigates Kara. J’onn J’onzz and Kelly (Azie Tesfai) use Obsidian tech to solve a problem.

David McWhirter directed the episode written by Dana Horgan & Katie Rose Rogers

(#502). Original airdate 10/13/2019.

-----

J'onn and Kelly teaming up? I'm still unsure as to how much Kelly knows about everyone's identities... and I'm not really inclined to re-watch to find out. Anyone know offhand?

From Ask Ausiello:

“Kelly and Alex haven’t said ‘I love you’ yet, but they they grow in their relationship,” newly promoted series regular Azie Tesfie told us. And maybe a certain “Crisis” is what will nudge their relationship to the next level. “The crossover [launching Dec. 8 on Supergirl] is chaos, and I think amid chaos everybody kind of shifts and changes,” Tesfie teases.

Kelly Olsen’s portrayer points out that at least in the early stretch of Season 5, she has had more scenes outside of said romance than in it, as Jimmy’s sister gets pulled into the Black Mirror-like storyline. “She thinks tech is for good, and it ends up putting her life in danger…. She misses seeing the bad in a lot of people this season.”

(emphases mine)

It's a little odd that the only thing the showrunners have talked about regarding Alex this season is romance yet Kelly has her own story outside of Alex that takes up more screentime. It doesn't seem like Alex has much of an arc this season unless there is something they don't want to hint at yet. 

Edited by Oreo2234
33 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

It's a little odd that the only thing the showrunners have talked about regarding Alex this season is romance yet Kelly has her own story outside of Alex that takes up more screentime. It doesn't seem like Alex has much of an arc this season unless there is something they don't want to hint at yet. 

They are to focused on trying to make a love interest happen or a baby. Let it develop naturally.

1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

I agree; but Alex is still at the DEO, so I assume she'll be connected to the main villain, or Kara's story with Lena.

5.03 synopsis:

"Blurred Lines" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST- Kara (Melissa Benoist) attempts to mend her relationship with Lena (Katie McGrath). J'onn J'onzz (David Harewood) takes a deep dive into his memories while Kelly (Azie Tesfai) tries to help an old friend.

Eric Dean Seaton directed the episode written by Lindsay Struman & J. Holtham (#503). Original airdate 10/20/2019.

5.04 synopsis:

"In Plain Sight" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

SAYING GOODBYE IS HARD TO DO - Kara's (Melissa Benoist) investigation into William Dey's (Staz Nair) "criminal" activities results in the shocking revelation he is not who she thinks. Meanwhile, the conflict between Malefic and J'onn J'onzz (David Harewood) reaches a boiling point.

David McWhirter directed the episode written by Jay Faerber & Jess Kardos (#504). Original airdate 10/27/2019.

5.05 synopsis:

“Dangerous Liaisons”— (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

A NEW DANGER ARISES – On the eve of the worldwide launch of Andrea Rojas’s (Julie Gonzalo) VR contact lenses, Kara (Melissa Benoist) and William (Staz Nair) team up on an investigation that exposes a terrorist plot. Kelly (Azie Tesfai) and Alex (Chyler Leigh) celebrate an anniversary, but Alex’s safety is in jeopardy.

Alysse Leite-Rogers directed the episode written by Rob Wright & Daniel Beaty (#505). Original airdate 11/3/2019.