Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

(edited)

4.18, "Crime and Punishment" description:

“Crime and Punishment” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

WILLIE GARSON GUEST STARS — Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath) head to Stryker’s Island to search for clues on how to defeat Lex. At the prison, Kara tries to befriend a nosy prisoner, Steve (guest star Willie Garson), who may have insight into what Lex was doing, while Lena studies an array of puzzles Lex left behind in the hopes of discovering his whereabouts. While there, a prison riot breaks out and Kara must find a way to stop the prisoners without revealing her secret identity as Supergirl.

Meanwhile, Kelly (guest star Azie Tesfai) encourages James (Mehcad Brooks) to talk to someone for his PTSD, and Alex (Chyler Leigh) faces off against Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) after he storms the DEO and acquires some powerful weapons to hunt Supergirl.

Antonio Negret directed the episode with story by Rob Wright and teleplay by Lindsay Sturman & Aadrita Mukerji

(#418). Original airdate 4/21/2019.

-------

THis type of secret identity shenanigans is what I wanted in Season 1; it's a little weird for it to be happening in Season 4.

Edited by Trini

CW put out a revised synopsis for 4.18 (I bolded the new parts):

"Crime and Punishment" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

WILLIE GARSON GUEST STARS - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath) head to Stryker's Island to search for clues on how to defeat Lex. At the prison, Supergirl tries to befriend a nosy prisoner, Steve (guest star Willie Garson), who may have insight into what Lex was doing, but he and all of the prisoners regard her as a traitor to the country and refuse to talk to her. Lena realizes Lex left behind clues for her and deciphering them could be the key to his whereabouts.

Meanwhile, Kelly (guest star Azie Tesfai) encourages James (Mehcad Brooks) to talk to someone about his PTSD, and Alex (Chyler Leigh) faces off against Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) after he storms the DEO and acquires some powerful weapons to hunt Supergirl.

Antonio Negret directed the episode with story by Rob Wright and teleplay by Lindsay Sturman & Aadrita Mukerji (#418). Original airdate 4/21/2019.

So, no riot, or secret identity shenanigans?

David Harewood's episode! 4.19 synopsis:

"American Dreamer" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

DAVID HAREWOOD DIRECTS - As Kara (Melissa Benoist) doggedly works as a reporter to clear Supergirl's name, Dreamer (Nicole Maines) picks up the slack as National City's protector, which leads to a showdown with Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer). James (Mehcad Brooks) takes drastic measures to relieve his PTSD.

David Harewood directed the episode with story by Dana Horgan and teleplay by Daniel Beaty & Jess Kardos (#419). Original airdate 4/28/2019.

-----

Drastic measures??

4.20 synopsis:

"Will The Real Miss Tessmacher Please Stand Up?" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

MISS TESSMACHER RETURNS WITH A VENGEANCE - Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath) head to Kaznia to hunt down Lex. However, Eve Tessmacher (guest star Andrea Brooks) sets a trap for the duo that could ultimately reveal that Kara is Supergirl. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) gets a long-awaited phone call, James (Mehcad Brooks) practices using his powers, and Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) takes a dangerous stand inside the DEO.

Shannon Kohli directed the episode with story by Derek Simon and teleplay by Katie Rose Rogers & Natalie Abrams (#420). Original airdate 5/5/2019.

-----

They put Eve in the title again; will she actually be a significant part of the episode this time?

• Love 1

https://tvline.com/gallery/may-sweeps-spoilers-2019-finale-episodes-photos/#!18/may-sweeps-supergirl/

may-sweeps-supergirl.jpg?w=620

SUPERGIRL

PRE-FINALE: “Lex remains in control of everything” as we hurtle toward Supergirl’s fourth season ender, but how long can he count on Red Daughter to do his bidding? “She’s surprisingly intrigued by [Kara], which puts her in a difficult position,” co-showrunner Robert Rovner says. “She doesn’t realize how she’s been indoctrinated.” The same could be asked of Agent Liberty, who’s also “unaware of the extent to which his strings are being pulled.” Elsewhere, Alex and Kelly’s “friendship will continue to grow,” Brainy will seize an unexpected “moment of heroism,” James will struggle to locate “the root of his trauma,” Nia and Brainy’s slow-burning courtship will become a “journey that continues through the end of the season” and J’onn’s mission to Mars will allow him to “come back fully in control as the kind of hero he left the DEO to be.”

SEASON FINALE (May 19): The episode — titled “The Quest for Peace,” as a nod to Jon Cryer’s appearance in Superman IV — promises to “answer all the questions of the season and brings everything that has happened to a satisfying end.” Co-showrunner Jessica Queller says fans should also be “very excited to see the whole Luthor family together.”

----

They mention stuff about everyone BUT Kara.

According to a sneak peak of the episode James now has heat vision. I think he also probably has super strength too. If he starts flying I'm going to throw something at the tv. 

Why? What does this add to the show? Now five main characters on the show have superpowers. Did it occur to anyone this might be too much? 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

According to a sneak peak of the episode James now has heat vision. I think he also probably has super strength too. If he starts flying I'm going to throw something at the tv. 

Why? What does this add to the show? Now five main characters on the show have superpowers. Did it occur to anyone this might be too much? 

Agreed on it being too much. It takes away on my enjoyment of the show. I know that they're superhero shows, but I do like there to be a small amount of realism as far as day jobs and normal humans go. 

• Love 1

The show barely seems to have the budget to do Kara's powers justice I don't know why they want to add to that. 

It also worries me that characters who don't have superpowers are increasingly irrelevant. 

• Love 2

Sounds like an exciting penultimate episode:

SUNDAY, MAY 12

SUPERGIRL

"Red Dawn"

SUPERGIRL BATTLES RED DAUGHTER - Kara (Melissa Benoist) comes face to face with Red Daughter and the two engage in an epic battle. Determined to find a way to extract the Harun-El, Lena (Katie McGrath) turns to an unlikely source for help - Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong). Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) realizes she's missing parts of her memory, and Brainy (Jesse Rath), Nia (Nicole Maines) and J'onn (David Harewood) set out to track down aliens who have been abducted by Lex.

Alexis Ostrander directed the episode with story by Lindsay Sturman and teleplay by Gabriel Llanas & Eric Carrasco

(#421). Original airdate 5/12/2019.

Season finale synopsis:

"The Quest for Peace" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

LEX LUTHOR RETURNS - Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) descends upon Washington, DC and summons Lena (Katie McGrath) and Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong) to the White House. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) realizes she has one last chance to stop Lex and turns to the power of the press to help her.

Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Rob Wright & Derek Simon

(#422). Original airdate 5/19/2019.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:42 AM, BaggythePanther said:

So the season finale is going to be about Kara writing inspiring articles?

Except we've already seen her show up for work for her allotted one day this season.  She could commandeer the airwaves again, though!  Hope hope hope!

• LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

So Kara took Red Daughter’s advice and ditched the cheerleader skirt?

It's the suit that protects her against kryptonite, right? I think that's why she's wearing it to face Lex.

But maybe it's also because Red Daughter isn't actually dead, and they're doing another Kara vs. Kara fight.

Edited by Trini
(edited)

I came across these audition videos for the role of "Andrea Rojas" on Supergirl that were posted on Vimeo last month (same scene in all videos) - from what I understand, Andrea Rojas is a DC comics character aka Acrata...

“Andrea Rojas” SUPERGIRL (Teresa Castillo)
Posted 3 weeks ago

BRIANA MARIN-SUPERGIRL-Andrea Rojas [2 takes]
Posted 1 month ago
https://vimeo.com/334374323
https://vimeo.com/334405874

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I hope this isn't a regular role. After reading on the character it sounds like it would be another supporting superhero role and Supergirl doesn't need more of those. 

Edited by Oreo2234
(edited)

Two audition videos for the same role of a 2X Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist on Supergirl who is Kara's editor boss (same audition scene)...

Cudjoe Asare - Supergirl
Posted 1 week ago

Sean Sagar_Supergirl_S1
Posted 1 month ago

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, Trini said:

I was wondering if Melissa's new haircut would become Supergirl's new haircut; and I think it is? At least the bangs:

And Kara will have the same haircut and no one will notice the similarity.

• LOL 2

You know, it just struck me that there's no one relevant left on the show who DOESN'T know Kara's secret (assuming Mackenzie isn't considered relevant going forward).  There's just the reverse dynamic that Kara doesn't know that Lena DOES know her secret.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Supergirl's getting a new costume for Season 5!  Pants, even... apparently Melissa has gotten tired of having to be hanging in the flying harness outdoors in Vancouver winter wearing a miniskirt and thin tights.... (Note: even though this is a Kevin Smith interview, he was on good behavior and I don't think there's a single F-bomb.)

It'll be interesting to see what kind of design they go with for the new supersuit; although I'm sure it will be another unitard-style outfit like Red Kara or Red Daughter. Supergirl's suit is more symbolic than functional, so I've always thought it could be redesigned without too much trouble within the narrative.

010-falling.jpg

tumblr_poweecsohW1u9773so1_400.gif

[Surprisingly, CW never released a promo photo of the Red Daughter costume, this was the closest. ]

As impractical as the skirt is, I've always thought the red provides a nice balance to the colors of the costume, which is something the Superman costume has sorely lacked since they ditched the red trunks.

• Love 2

Well that was fast!

It looks similar to Superman's suit; with the higher neckline (was hoping they'd keep the lower neckline), how they attached the cape, and the seam detailing. I can't tell for sure, but I think the red topstitching is gone; I'll miss that. And maybe the yellow outline of the 'S' symbol. Also I think her boot heels are lower now.

Looks good, but I'll miss the old costume.

(edited)

I really love it! Looks very similar to Red Daughter’s and the only things I would change is adding the yellow back on the emblem because it makes it pop out and the red stitch trims. Melissa must’ve been so thrilled when she first heard about it and I look forward to seeing it onscreen. 

Edited by birdsflyinghigh
  • Love 2

It's good that it sounds like J'onn may play a significant role in the crossover. I hope all the Supergirl regulars have a bigger role than they did last year (or any role at all in the case of Lena and Nia). 

There was also a TV Guide article previewing the season. I'm not happy that the only things they previewed for Nia/Brainy and Alex was relationship stuff. Alex desperately needs a real arc that isn't romance and babies (the mind wipe doesn't count). 

(edited)

Ugh, who in their right mind thought that nine regulars is a good thing? It's not like in this show they divide important plot-elements between nine cast members. Half of them will be used for romance purposes, the other handful will just stand around and do nothing or be between on the line of good and evil, and the remaining two will do what they do always. 😴

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1

There's going to be episodes with sets of characters entirely absent, is my guess. But more concerning to me is that there won't be enough story to go around for everyone. Plus i'm sure there will be recurring characters in the cast too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh who in their right mind thought nine regular cast members is a good thing? It's not like in this show they divide important plot-elements between nine cast members. Half of them will be used for romantic purposes, the other handful will just stand around and do nothing or be between on the line between good and evil, and the remaining two will do what they do always. 

This is why as much as I like Nia I wish they didn't add a new regular protagonist last season. I think they should have taken advantage of the slightly smaller cast when Winn and Mon-el left and focused on the characters they have. Kara doesn't need several people to back her up.  

Edited by Oreo2234

That's too bad, James is one of my reasons for tuning in At least it's his decision.

I hope they don't lose Catco. It's a good counterpart to the DEO and All The Fights, All The Time.

• Love 2

I briefly thought they might kill him off in the crisis but the showrunners statement indicates otherwise. Unless they are being intentionally misleading but that seems unlikely. If they are going to kill off any regular from Supergirl  in the crisis it should be James now that the actor chose to leave.

• Useful 1
On 7/15/2019 at 4:09 PM, Trini said:

Well that was fast!

It looks similar to Superman's suit; with the higher neckline (was hoping they'd keep the lower neckline), how they attached the cape, and the seam detailing. I can't tell for sure, but I think the red topstitching is gone; I'll miss that. And maybe the yellow outline of the 'S' symbol. Also I think her boot heels are lower now.

Looks good, but I'll miss the old costume.

I like it. When you think about it, Kara is almost 30 now, so she'd naturally want to go for a slightly more mature look as Supergirl.  I do wonder, though, whether that will bring up the question of whether and when she'll decide to start calling herself Superwoman. After all, Cat's not her boss anymore and already knows about the dual identity, so it's not as though Cat could reasonably object to the name change any more than Winn could object to the costume change.