Type keyword(s) to search

She's Superman's Cousin!: And Other Supergirl Spoilers

• Start Topic

The only thing I've really seen Jon Cryer in was that (imo) godawful Two and a Half men show. I watched some of it here and there, and maybe it was just the show and not Cryer himself, but I just can't see him as Lex Luthor. However, I am willing to let him surprise me. He got cast for a reason, so maybe he really is good at capturing Lex. I guess we shall see...since it's happening anyways and we don't have a choice in the matter.

Also, yeah, Cryer himself is in his fifties. We know Lena is in her mid-twenties, but that Lex wasn't all that much older than her in the flashbacks that we DID see him in (I think there was, at most, a twelve year age gap). So they're either aging Jon Cryer down a couple of decades, or they're retconning Lex into being at least into his forties (the latter would be more believable). 

If they hadn't confirmed Lena to be around 25-26 already, it might have worked a bit better. Lena could have been in her early thirties and then Lex could have been in his mid forties. Now we have to assume that the flashback we did see of four year old Lena and teenager Lex was not acccurate and that Lex was actually supposed to be in his mid twenties. 

I think Jon Cryer could surprise us.  I've seen actors who were mostly known for doing comedy acquit themselves amazingly well in dramatic roles.  John Ritter was that versatile.  While most of us knew him as Jack Tripper from Three's Company/Three's a Crowd and from his role in 8 Simple Rules, I can remember some very impressive dramatic roles that he did after those shows that convinced me that he really could act.  And Bob Newhart is another example of an actor known mostly for comedy roles who has also turned in some surprisingly memorable and powerful dramatic performances.  So who knows what Jon Cryer may be able to do with Lex?

And the age thing doesn't really bother me.  Even in the comics, there was a considerable age difference between Lex and Lena -- he was, as I recall, about 10 or 12 years older than she was.  What I'm more interested in seeing is how Lex and Lena get along, since Lena has made it clear that Lex is one of the main reasons that she's worked so hard to distance herself from the Luthor Family legacy and reputation, which she regards as the worst of curses upon her.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I think, too, that baldness will help make his age less definite. Coupled with stage makeup, I don't think his age will matter so much.

Another great example of a comedic actor turning in a great dramatic performance was Jerry Lewis as an aging Garment District tailor on Wiseguy.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

He got cast for a reason, so maybe he really is good at capturing Lex.

More likely it's legacy casting since he's played a Luthor before in the terrible Superman IV.

4.07 and 4.08 descriptions:

"Rather the Fallen Angel"

CHAD LOWE DIRECTS - James (Mehcad Brooks) falls in deeper with the Children of Liberty in his efforts to meet Agent Liberty (Sam Witwer). Meanwhile, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) follow a lead on Agent Liberty's location, but things take a dark turn. Lena (Katie McGrath) kicks off her first set of trials.

Chad Lowe directed the episode written by Dana Horgan & Katie Rose Rogers (#407). Original airdate 11/25/2018.

"Bunker Hill"

KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS; NIA BEGINS TO EMBRACE HER POWERS - Nia (Nicole Maines) has a powerful dream about Agent Liberty (Sam Witwer) but refuses to look at it as a prophetic dream and pushes it aside. After noticing something is bothering Nia, Kara (Melissa Benoist) enlists Brainy's (Jesse Rath) help, and the two try to persuade Nia to embrace her destiny. Meanwhile, Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) pays Ben Lockwood a menacing visit.

Kevin Smith directed the episode written by Rob Wright & Eric Carrasco (#408). Original airdate 12/2/2018.

I hope they don't use this Lex Luthor storyline to push Lena to the dark side, but I'm not hopeful. While I have no doubt Katie McGrath would be a fun baddie, I've always thought Lena going dark would send a horrible message that no matter how good you try to be, if you come from a bad family, you're automatically a lost cause. Melissa Benoist seems to think that's where we're heading, though.

"I think what's so fun about exploring a Luthor and a 'Super' relationship is the slow burn of it," said Benoist of the Kara/Lena dynamic. "I love that we're telling in the way that Lex Luthor and Clark Kent were friends before they were enemies. I love that we're telling that story, too. I would expect that it will be a really slow burn: that realization, reveal."

• Love 1

They might surprise me, or change their mind, but I really don't think that Lena is going bad - at least not anytime soon. She'll definitely be in the grey areas, but I think they want her to be a contrast to her family who are firmly on the villain side.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I hope they don't use this Lex Luthor storyline to push Lena to the dark side, but I'm not hopeful. While I have no doubt Katie McGrath would be a fun baddie, I've always thought Lena going dark would send a horrible message that no matter how good you try to be, if you come from a bad family, you're automatically a lost cause. Melissa Benoist seems to think that's where we're heading, though.

"I think what's so fun about exploring a Luthor and a 'Super' relationship is the slow burn of it," said Benoist of the Kara/Lena dynamic. "I love that we're telling in the way that Lex Luthor and Clark Kent were friends before they were enemies. I love that we're telling that story, too. I would expect that it will be a really slow burn: that realization, reveal."

The bolded makes no sense to me. Because the only time I know of Clark and Lex being friends before they became enemies was on Smallville. And that was their take/twist on it. I don't ever recall them being friends ever. Yeah, yeah, I was informed either here or TWoP that

there was a story in

Superboy, where they were friends, but Clark/Superboy caused some accident, which led to Lex losing his hair, and then he became the mad scientist and hated Superboy.

So she basically wants another Superman plot/story rip off for Kara and Lena.

... And the description matches my guess!

"Suspicious Minds"

COLONEL HALEY IS DETERMINED TO FIND OUT SUPERGIRL'S IDENTITY - Colonel Haley (April Parker Jones) is upset after Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) responds to a distress call from a Navy ship that turned out to be a deadly alien attack. Colonel Haley reclaims the site as DEO territory and demands that Supergirl step aside. After Supergirl refuses to be told what to do, Haley refocuses her energy on finding out Supergirl's true identity and begins to interrogate all DEO agents, including Alex (Chyler Leigh). Meanwhile, Brainiac-5 (Jesse Rath) tries to persuade Nia (Nicole Maines) to embrace her superpowers but she misinterprets his motives.

Rachel Talalay directed the episode written by Maria Maggenti & Gabriel Llanas

(#410). Original air date 1/20/19.

First off - how is Haley (or anyone who doesn't already know) so sure Supergirl even has a secret/civilian identity?

#2) Good luck with those interrogations; I'm betting those agents are more scared of betraying Supergirl and Alex than Col. Haley.

----

Not that I'm particularly invested in Kara/Brainy, or think that they necessarily have to be together, but isn't it odd that they've brought in Brainiac-5 - who is one of Supergirl's love interests in the comics - and they're doing all this teasing of a romance between him and some other character?

----

ETA: And since it looks like we're off of the Agent Liberty arc for now, I'll actually watch this one.

Edited by Trini
10 hours ago, Trini said:

First off - how is Haley (or anyone who doesn't already know) so sure Supergirl even has a secret/civilian identity?

She already admitted it to the president when he gave her his ultimatum so at the very least they suspected it and her reaction confirmed it.  We're probably going to ignore the many, many times Kara walked around the DEO in her civilian clothes so if Colonel Hardy is smart she'd just find a way to bug Alex's phone since it's pretty clear this is her main way of contacting Supergirl. 

• Love 3

Guest star casting: https://tvline.com/2019/01/10/supergirl-spoilers-jonathan-bennett-cast-season-4-episode-14/

Jonathan Bennett, forever known for playing Aaron Samuels in 2004’s Mean Girls, will appear in Episode 14 of Supergirl‘s current season, titled “Stand and Deliver,” TVLine has confirmed. (Bennett broke the news himself via an Instagram story on Wednesday afternoon.)

Per The CW, Bennett’s character Quentin is a “wide-eyed government attaché who is grateful when Supergirl saves his life. However, when he shows his true colors by attending an anti-alien rally, Supergirl aims to prove to Quentin that not all aliens are bad.”

On 2019-01-08 at 8:30 AM, cambridgeguy said:

She already admitted it to the president when he gave her his ultimatum so at the very least they suspected it and her reaction confirmed it.  We're probably going to ignore the many, many times Kara walked around the DEO in her civilian clothes so if Colonel Hardy is smart she'd just find a way to bug Alex's phone since it's pretty clear this is her main way of contacting Supergirl. 

Forget bugging Alex's phone, just pull up the security cameras archived footage. The moment Kara shows up in civilian clothes Haley will be able to nail her. I find it stupid that this hasn't happened yet and everyone is running around clueless.  I also find it silly that Haley hasn't connected Alex and Supergirl yet given how close they are at the DEO.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, rtms77 said:

Forget bugging Alex's phone, just pull up the security cameras archived footage. The moment Kara shows up in civilian clothes Haley will be able to nail her. I find it stupid that this hasn't happened yet and everyone is running around clueless.  I also find it silly that Haley hasn't connected Alex and Supergirl yet given how close they are at the DEO.

You're completely right, of course; But I choose to believe that Winn/Brainy have deleted anything incriminating, and everyone else is keeping their mouths shut because they know better. However, even without that, Haley should still be able to figure it out herself

More guest casting:

ComicBook.com is reporting that Louis Ozawa Changchien is taking on the role of The Hat on an upcoming episode of The CW’s Supergirl. Changchien’s character will join forces with Manchester Black, The Morae, and Menagerie in their fight against the titular heroine.

The Hat will make his debut appearance in the thirteenth episode of Supergirl season 4. ...

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/432317-louis-ozawa-changchien-cast-as-the-hat-on-supergirl

More info from EW:

Maines will fully suit up as the superhero Dreamer in the episode “Menagerie,” which airs Feb. 17; however, we’ll catch our first glimpse of the costume in the Jan. 27th episode “Blood Memories,” which will introduce Nia’s family (Scandal‘s Kate Burton plays her mother) and explore the origin and the cost of Nia’s powers. Showrunners Jessica Queller and Robert Rovner are especially looking forward to “Blood Memories” because spending time in Nia’s very liberal hometown provided a reprieve from the National City’s xenophobic atmosphere.

“One thing that we’re excited about is going to the town where [Nia] was raised, and we’re going to see that it’s a very sort of liberal oasis,” Queller told EW in our midseason preview interview. “It’s a small town that’s always been very welcoming of aliens and where aliens and humans live in harmony. In fact, one of her parents is human and one is alien. Going home and seeing those dynamics and seeing a place [like that] will be a little break from all of the intense hatred and politics that we’ve been experiencing in National City. Then, we’ll focus on the family dynamics and what exactly has been holding Nia back from owning herself as Dreamer.”

She added, “It was a very special episode and very relationship-oriented, and it was really, really wonderful to explore Nia’s origin story, I guess, and learn more about who she is and where she comes from.”

ON 1/10/2019 AT 12:38 PM, TRINI SAID:

On 1/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Trini said:

Jonathan Bennett, forever known for playing Aaron Samuels in 2004’s Mean Girls, will appear in Episode 14 of Supergirl‘s current season, titled “Stand and Deliver,” TVLine has confirmed. (Bennett broke the news himself via an Instagram story on Wednesday afternoon.)

Per The CW, Bennett’s character Quentin is a “wide-eyed government attaché who is grateful when Supergirl saves his life. However, when he shows his true colors by attending an anti-alien rally, Supergirl aims to prove to Quentin that not all aliens are bad.”

I apologize in advance for any Mean Girls quotes I may use in the episode thread. But haven’t we seen this storyline for Kara before? Is Kara going to spend this season fighting xenophobia by changing minds one at a time?

• Love 1

More on Lex Luthor's intro:

Lex will make his inaugural appearance in Supergirl‘s March 17 episode (The CW, 8/7c), appropriately titled “O Brother, Where Are Thou?” Per the episode’s official synopsis, “Lex Luthor reaches out from prison to enlist Lena into one of his plans and will stop at nothing to get her on board, even if that means leveraging the life of one of her friends.”

https://tvline.com/2019/01/23/supergirl-lex-luthor-jon-cryer-first-photo/

lex-luthor-1a.jpg?w=605&h=908

4.12 episode description:

"Menagerie" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

DC COMICS VILLAIN MENAGERIE APPEARS - With his P.I. shingle newly hung outside his office, J'onn (David Harewood) welcomes new clients. Trying to take her mind off what happened at the DEO, Kara (Melissa Benoist) decides to team up with J'onn on his latest assignment, which unfortunately ends up tying directly into Alex's (Chyler Leigh) current investigation that involves the villain Menagerie (guest star Jessica Meraz). Meanwhile, Lena (Katie McGrath) shares some news with James (Mehcad Brooks), but his reaction isn't what she expected. Nia (Nicole Maines) invites Brainy (Jesse Rath) to her Valentine's Day party.

Stefan Pleszczynski directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner and teleplay by Daniel Beaty & Greg Baldwin

(#412). Original airdate 2/17/2019.

Oooh, a Valentine's day episode?

5 hours ago, Trini said:

Nia (Nicole Maines) invites Brainy (Jesse Rath) to her Valentine's Day party.

I'm predicting it's a party for two?  Hopefully Brainy gets a little bit of not-being-an-idiot; The Wonder Years did the oblivious, can't-get-it-right boy concept so well that no one else need apply ever again.

4.13 description:

“What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?”

SUPERGIRL FACES OFF AGAINST THE ELITE — Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala) breaks out of prison with the help of his new team, The Elite, who are set on punishing the anti-alien forces. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) pulls double duty as she tries to apprehend Manchester Black and his team as well as deal with a shocking new development with Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer). Alexis Ostrander directed the episode written by Eric Carrasco & Aadrita Mukerji (#413). Original airdate 3/3/2019.

Really detailed description for 4.14:

“Stand And Deliver” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

SUPERGIRL TAKES A STAND — Between Ben Lockwood’s (Sam Witwer) new push to stir up the anti-alien movement and the Elite’s desire to target Lockwood and his minions, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is concerned about the safety of the American people – both human and alien. When Lockwood organizes a rally, the aliens decide to peacefully protest. Brainiac (Jesse Rath) and J’onn (David Harewood) join the alien march while Supergirl and Dreamer (Nicole Maines) patrol to keep everyone safe.

Meanwhile, James (Mehcad Brooks) picks up his camera again to cover the march for CatCo, and Hayley (April Parker Jones) assigns Alex (Chyler Leigh) a job that clashes with her beliefs. When The Elite and Ben Lockwood stir up trouble at the rally, Supergirl is forced to take a stand. Jonathan Bennett guest stars.

Andi Armaganian directed the episode written by Rob Wright & Jess Kardos (#414). Original airdate 3/10/2019.

Episode 4.15 description:

“O Brother, Where Art Thou?” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

JON CRYER GUEST STARS AS ICONIC DC COMICS’ VILLAIN LEX LUTHOR — Secretly furloughed from prison due to failing health, Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) visits his sister, Lena (Katie McGrath), to seek her help finding a cure. Savvy as ever, Lena is suspicious of Lex’s motives but when she’s faced with a life and death situation, she must decide how she truly feels about her brother. Meanwhile, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and J’onn (David Harewood) face off against Manchester Black (guest star David Ajala). James’ sister Kelly (guest star Azie Tesfai) comes to town.

Tawnia Mckiernan directed the episode written by Derek Simon & Nicki Holcomb (#415). Original airdate 3/17/2019.

Episode 4.16 description:

"The House of L" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

LEX LUTHOR CONTINUES TO WREAK HAVOC - In the wake of Lex Luthor's (guest star Jon Cryer) return, the show flashes back to what he's been doing for the last two years and how his secret machinations and plans have affected Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath).

Carl Seaton directed the episode written by Dana Horgan & Eric Carrasco (#416). Original airdate 3/24/2019.

----

Will most (all?) of the episode be flashbacks? So they're going to retroactively add Lex to the previous year's plots? I don't know how I feel about that.

4.17 description:

"All About Eve"

SUPERGIRL FACES HER BIGGEST CHALLENGE YET - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) must deal with the destructive aftermath of Lex's (guest star Jon Cryer) nefarious plans. Shocked at what Lex has created, Supergirl faces her biggest challenge yet.

Ben Bray directed the episode with story by Gabriel Llanas and teleplay by Katie Rose Rogers & Brooke Pohl

(#417). Original airdate 3/31/2019.

So did Lex do something to Ms. Tessmacher, or are we back to Kasnian Supergirl?

On 3/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, Trini said:

4.17 description:

So did Lex do something to Ms. Tessmacher, or are we back to Kasnian Supergirl?

A podcast I listen to was theorizing that Eve was the one who shot James, either on behalf of Lena or because she’s been working with Lex this whole time. This episode title definitely makes it seem like she’ll be involved in Luthor shenanigans.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, Trini said:

Wow, she hasn't even made her appearance yet! So I guess she will be a serious/permanent love interest for Alex.

This is not the Danvers/Olsen couple I expected to see back in season 1.  Although if Alex is like her sister she'll spend all of next season pining for Kelly before suddenly deciding she has absolutely zero interest in her.

• LOL 1
On 3/15/2019 at 8:34 PM, BaggythePanther said:

A podcast I listen to was theorizing that Eve was the one who shot James, either on behalf of Lena or because she’s been working with Lex this whole time.

Supergirl Radio, by any chance?

23 hours ago, Trini said:

Teases for the rest of the season from the producers: https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/17/supergirl-lex-luthor-manchester-black-spoilers/

There are some intriguing spoilers here.

In the wake of Lex’s betrayal, Lena will join forces with Supergirl and Alex to take him down. “It’s a very nice reaction to Lex,” said Queller. “We see Supergirl and Alex and Lena kind of all rallying together to be a united team to find him and bring him to justice. So, there’s a lot of that dynamic at play as we move forward to the end of the season.”

Will Lena finally learning that Kara is Supergirl?  Because at this point, it's just getting embarrassing. And since Alex has forgotten that Kara is Supergirl even though she looks just like her sister, how will she react to Kara who continues to appear and disappear mysteriously?

“J’onn’s identity crisis brings us to a very emotional place and he’s sort of the phoenix rising from the ashes. He has to really soul search and forge a new path,” said Queller. In fact, this new struggle will lead to the return of Carl Lumbly, who plays his deceased father M’yrnn, in episode 17;

Kelly Olsen (Azie Tesfai) will play a big role in James’ storyline as he bounces back from this brush with death, but she’ll also develop a connection with another one of the characters. “Kelly and Alex are going to become close,” said Queller. And you can expect more of Tesfai beyond this season because she’ll be a series regular in season 5.

I'm guessing she'll be Alex's new relationship.

I'm torn about having a psychologist on the show because shows always seem to mess it up.

“The impact of Lex Luthor on James’ character is profound moving forward and it’s something he deals with for the rest of the season, and we’ll kind of see them lock horns by the season finale,” teased Rovner. Furthermore, both characters will experience side-effects from the drug they took in this episode. “There will be complications and that plays out in the rest of the season for sure,” said Quller, with Cryer adding, “Some powers might be involved. I’m putting that out there.”

It sounds like they're going to include Lex organically into multiple characters' lives, which is a good thing.

Edited by statsgirl
7 hours ago, Trini said:

Supergirl, Lena, and Alex team up to talk to ... Eve's sister?

PLEASE let her name be Dawn!  (Or maybe Eve has a "good" twin named that...)

• LOL 1