Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Abduction

My power went out 1/2 way through the show. I was going to let it go and use that as a perfect excuse to give the show up, but I want to see that. Now I'm going to have to watch it on demand and be sucked back in. 

They should have extended the Malcolm Black story across a few episodes imo. The writers intertwined his story so deeply in David's,it should have affected his ability to move on with his life. Now instead of a real bad guy, we get frenchy for the rest of the season? Ugh!

Answer me this? So Malcolm is a large arms dealer, yet shows up with 3 "batman" henchmen (womp, splaoof, kaplow -> all dead), brandishing nothing more than handguns? The writers really need to do more research, when deciding to throw crap against the wall to see if it sticks.

• Love 4

They should have extended the Malcolm Black story across a few episodes imo. The writers intertwined his story so deeply in David's,it should have affected his ability to move on with his life. Now instead of a real bad guy, we get frenchy for the rest of the season? Ugh!

Answer me this? So Malcolm is a large arms dealer, yet shows up with 3 "batman" henchmen (womp, splaoof, kaplow -> all dead), brandishing nothing more than handguns? The writers really need to do more research, when deciding to throw crap against the wall to see if it sticks.

The whole reason I was excited about Malcolm Black is because I love the actor. He does menacing very well.  The fact that he is in a teeny 3 episode arc does not please me. I agree with everyone above on Frenchy. Neither Pascal nor Daniel is Emily's fault. There are plenty of other rightfully wronged folks who could lay a legitimate claim against Emily - like those people she financially ruined when she ruined that guy in maybe the 2nd or 3rd take down.  But Frenchy is not one of them. Too bad crazy Louise failed at her task. 

• Love 2

Is it too much to hope for that Louise immediately tells Nolan what her mother said about her killing her father? She's spent so many years in a haze of drugs she probably doesn't know what was real or what wasn't. And if she lets it fester without telling anyone it's gonna end ugly for her, and I like Louise enough that I don't want that to happen to her.

• Love 1

I wish Louise had pointed out to her mother that she can't screw with Louise nor dig up a murder scandal without Fing up her Lyman's political career.  If Mommy Dearest pulls that thread, it has potential consequences for Louise of course, but also dire consequences for Lyman political life as well, particularly if the drugging bit gets exposed.  And it seems Lyman's career is at least as important to Mommy Dearest as Louise's life is to her.

If Victoria (or someone else who wasn't a two-week villain) had died, this could have been a decent episode, but instead it was just soapy cheese boiling over, with no real danger or climax.  And as for Margeww, why not just leave?  After Daniel's death, she really doesn't have any reason for existing on the show anymore, and I don't care about her or her self-righteous rage towards Emily.  Is she still even running a magazine (and if so, why not move it from the Hamptons now, since that was only chosen originally because Daniel owned the office building?)  All we see her do is stand around in hotels at night, fuming mad.   You'd think that she would call Jack, not someone she hardly knows, if she really needed a cop to talk to...  I don't think there is a shoehorn large enough to make her actually a part of this show anymore.  She and Victoria certainly have no chemistry or genuine family affection for one another. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1
The show needs to end with Emily's downfall- it's just what's most dramatically compelling and appropriate for the series overall. I've always thought Revenge should end one of two ways: 1) with Emily's identity being exposed and 2) with someone exacting their revenge on Emily. Margaux's plot is a great consolidation of the two.

I remember in the pilot, Emily voice-overed that line about how when you start out on revenge you need to dig two graves, so I always kind of thought that it would end with her dying.  But I hope not, because I honestly like Emily and think with the exception of Charlotte, everyone she revneged had it coming.

However, I will have an issue with Margaux being the one to kill/destroy Emily.  Emily did nothing to Margaux and her hands are totally clean with Daniel's death.  So Margeaux being the one to triumph seems unearned.  If they had kept Daniel alive and had him and Charlotte destroy her it would work better.

• Love 3

Sorry if I missed this here--I tried to read carefully-- but originally I was really annoyed that Vic told Malcolm about Jack, which put him in danger.  But then I wondered was she trying to get info to someone that could help them?  I didn't think she hated Jack so if this was obviously the motive, forgive me, but I just can't keep track about who hates who anymore.  I know Emily added the symbol so I wasn't sure if this was a plan of Vic and Emily?

Victoria doesn't hate Jack, but when she brought his name up to Malcolm, she originally only did it to save her own hide. I believe that once Emily realized she couldn't stop Malcolm's big henchman from going after Jack, she decided to use the opportunity to put the symbol on the guy's shirt so Jack would hopefully see it. It must have been at that point that Victoria started to help (by distracting the guy so Emily could draw on him) because it would have been to her benefit as well if Jack was able to figure out where they were.

Edited by calipiano81

Victoria doesn't hate Jack, but when she brought his name up to Malcolm, she originally only did it to save her own hide. I believe that once Emily realized she couldn't stop Malcolm's big henchman from going after Jack, she decided to use the opportunity to put the symbol on the guy's shirt so Jack would hopefully see it. It must have been at that point that Victoria started to help (by distracting the guy so Emily could draw on him) because it would have been to her benefit as well if Jack was able to figure out where they were.

Victoria blabbing Jack's name was part of the plan. Emily needed Malcolm to send a henchman after Jack so she could jump said henchman and put the coal dust symbol on him.

As someone else has pointed out, the series opened with the Confucious quote, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."  Now, I'm all for the show following through with what was foreshadowed in the premier:  Emily's downfall.  However, the only way I'd be satisified with this ending is if the final blow was delivered by a worthy adversary, and Margaux ain't it.  And if they somehow pull some stupid retcon to explain how she can seriously one-up Emily...well that'd be just cheap writing.

Edited by DesertCyclist
  • Love 3

With the tiniest bit of tweaking, this could've been a series finale in a way.

I'm surprised that Malcolm was taken out so quickly but his death was rather amusing and he was a lame threat anyways so he won't be missed by me.

Victoria and Emily being forced into working together worked a treat in this episode. A lot more interesting than the Jack, David and Ben teaming up.

I'm surprised that Nolan wasn't involved in this (seemed really odd actually) but his subplot with Louise and Penelope was pretty good anyways.

Not too concerned about Nolan/Louise being married as it's clearly to help her get her inheritance but Penelope is pure evil though, isn't she?

Margaux's attempts of trying to bring Emily down just make her look pathetic to be honest, 7/10

Since this almost could have been a series finale (with tweaks, as darkestboy said) I had a thought.  For the rest of the season they should replay this one episode but have it be from a different character's point of view each time (like Rashomon) and a different person would die in each version.  That way in one of the versions, Nolan could be involved. 

OK, I've been watching this show too long.

• Love 1

Victoria blabbing Jack's name was part of the plan. Emily needed Malcolm to send a henchman after Jack so she could jump said henchman and put the coal dust symbol on him.

Hmm...you think that part was already part of the plan? I didn't see Emily grab any coal when she attacked the guy and it didn't look like she had access to the back of the guy's shoulder. Wouldn't the show normally do a big flashback to that type of moment?

Also, if so, Emily was really putting Jack at risk there...what if Jack couldn't handle the henchman (the guy was pretty big--I'm surprised Jack was able to subdue him) and got killed? Emily would have been able to live with that?

Edited by calipiano81

Hmm...you think that part was already part of the plan? I didn't see Emily grab any coal when she attacked the guy and it didn't look like she had access to the back of the guy's shoulder. Wouldn't the show normally do a big flashback to that type of moment?

Also, if so, Emily was really putting Jack at risk there...what if Jack couldn't handle the henchman (the guy was pretty big--I'm surprised Jack was able to subdue him) and got killed? Emily would have been able to live with that?

Emily told Jack so at the end of the episode. That Victoria pointed Malcolm in Jack's direction per the plan so he'd get the coal dust clue. And she said that she was sure Jack could handle himself.

Edited by kariyaki

Good episode, but I'm not sure where the show will go from now on. Margoux getting revenge is pretty pathetic, I'm sorry. She and Daniel only dated for some weeks or so, during that time he even betrayed her with Louise, and because female CEOs of global companies obviously can't afford birth control^^ she got pregnant in the process. Truth is that she is only pi**ed of, because Daniel died protecting Emily, because he was still in love with her.

As for those who think, Margoux would deserve to take Emily down, I would really ask why? It's not like she is an innocent victim here, does nobody remember how she got rid of her brother to claim the leadership of the company? She got him arrested for smuggling drugs on an airport, she set her own brother up for a crime he didn't commit that is charged with years in prison!!! Plus she is fully aware that her father was part of the conspiracy that took down the flight, because Daniel told her the full story in season 3.

And sorry, no, besides from identity fraud there is no proof of crimes that Emily commited. In reality, Emily would probably loose millions because of lawsuits in civil court, but in criminal court you are definetly not facing a lifetime sentence for that (even more so if you could point out that you commited the fraud for your own protection, which is plausible in this case considering David's story, Malcolm Black, etc.).

As for Ben, he still feels like a storyfiller in my opinion, just there to have some kind of love interest for Emily the time being, which just makes sense if there would be a season 5, otherwise they should focus on Jack and Emily, even if they don't end up together. I mean we know nothing about Ben, he's just there playing nice, a little bit too nice so that it gets boring fast.

• Love 2

When did this show become so dark? There was so much (unnecessary) violence in this episode. Where are the subtle word-wars between Victoria and Emily, the parties, the glamour, the dresses... I really miss Conrad, he at least had some good quotes... Now it's all so down-and-dirty. And I hate it that Nolan was so removed from the main story. I kind of like Louise, but I hate it thal all Nolan does these days is trying to help her, and despite the fact that she lied to him and stole from him.

I'm glad MB is dead. End of that stupid storyline. I just don't know where the show will go from here. Victoria lost everything, well, except that she still has her grandson. I really don't understand all the changes in Margaux. Well, we'll see...

But why? Who the hell is Margaux and why is she worthy of triumphing over the protagonist whom we've known for 4 years, whose cause was framed from the pilot as a just one? And not to mention one important detail: Margaux should not have any beef with Emily. Emily did not kill Pascal (that was Conrad), and Emily did not kill Daniel (that was Victoria by way of Kate). But Margaux has been brainwashed by Victoria into thinking Emily is the cause of all of Margaux's misfortunes. That's not exactly a rootable battle between good (Margaux?) and evil (Emily??).

Therefore, to me anyway, any outcome at the end of Season 4 that has Margaux decisively triumphing over Emily is going to be an exasperating and illogical one.

Exactly.

An ending like that would be as bad as the ending to Lost - and only cater to the fans who clearly hate Emily. Most of fandom doesn't.

I might take an ending where Emily dies to protect someone she loves - but not one where Margaux (who is this bish anyway?) "wins" over Emily. That's just a crappy ending. Margaux is a nothing character.

• Love 3

Dear show, I don't care about Margaux.  She's just the French version of Ashley.  Her character revolves around her screwing Daniel.  She's not an innocent person who got tossed in the midst of a power struggle, she's a rich woman who decided that she wants to play with the only remaining Grayson and take out Emily.  Crazy was being drugged by her family and that actually makes sense that she'd act CRAZY and try to kill Margaux.  Margaux has not gone to Revenge summer camp and shouldn't be able to touch Emily.  All she's gotten is Grayson Backstabbing Training.

Yes and the fact that Daniel told Margaux EVERYTHING about what they did to Amanda/Emily's family with David makes Margaux look even more stupid. She KNOWS now that Emily was only trying to right the wrongs Daniel's family created.

And she's irrational and her motives are dumb. I really cannot stand her. Can someone just kill her please? Seriously - who is this bish that her tertiary character needs to be uplifted to a leading status in being a rival to Emily? She is terrible. That fake accent, fake motives, fake love for Daniel, fake everything...

I was just getting excited about this show again and then they go and derail it all for Margaux? To what? Appease some fans who think the heroine of this show has to be "taken down"?

That's not how The Count of Monte Cristo ends!! LOL.

• Love 3

Good episode, but I'm not sure where the show will go from now on. Margoux getting revenge is pretty pathetic, I'm sorry. She and Daniel only dated for some weeks or so, during that time he even betrayed her with Louise, and because female CEOs of global companies obviously can't afford birth control^^ she got pregnant in the process. Truth is that she is only pi**ed of, because Daniel died protecting Emily, because he was still in love with her.

As for those who think, Margoux would deserve to take Emily down, I would really ask why? It's not like she is an innocent victim here, does nobody remember how she got rid of her brother to claim the leadership of the company? She got him arrested for smuggling drugs on an airport, she set her own brother up for a crime he didn't commit that is charged with years in prison!!! Plus she is fully aware that her father was part of the conspiracy that took down the flight, because Daniel told her the full story in season 3.

And sorry, no, besides from identity fraud there is no proof of crimes that Emily commited. In reality, Emily would probably loose millions because of lawsuits in civil court, but in criminal court you are definetly not facing a lifetime sentence for that (even more so if you could point out that you commited the fraud for your own protection, which is plausible in this case considering David's story, Malcolm Black, etc.).

As for Ben, he still feels like a storyfiller in my opinion, just there to have some kind of love interest for Emily the time being, which just makes sense if there would be a season 5, otherwise they should focus on Jack and Emily, even if they don't end up together. I mean we know nothing about Ben, he's just there playing nice, a little bit too nice so that it gets boring fast.

My only hope is that Margaux going after Emily results in her own downfall. I hope Emily takes her @ss down.

I also thought the first 55 minutes were a great last episode, and I don’t give a darn about Margaux’ faux-revenge.  Daniel was an idiot, an alcoholic who severely injured his former girlfriend, an idiot who knew his parents framed David Clark and did nothing, etc.  He was a lightweight who wanted to live a life of luxury.  Sad he died, but nothing to get all revengy about.

So, Margaux is going to tap Emily's phone and get evidence of her crimes to put her in prison?

What crimes?

Well, there is the journalist Emily convinced to plead guilty to killing (I forget who he supposedly killed).  She promised that, when she had cleared her father’s name, she would turn herself in, he would get out of jail and get the exclusive to write her story.  And she has killed a number of people.

I agree with those that Emily hasn’t committed identify fraud.  The girls agreed to switch names.  People can change their names, formally or informally.  She didn’t do it to chase out on any debts or avoid prosecution for crimes under her former name. 

Not to mention that Emily lived as Amanda for 6 months between juvie and the switch, or that real-Emily's parents retroactively "gained" a fortune out of nowhere.

Whatever she did to hide that appears to have been very well done.  We have to assume Conrad and others tried to check her out and didn’t catch on.

Victoria told Margaux that Daniel’s life was threatened & that’s why she helped set David up. When did that become the story?

IIRC, the only thing “threatened” was that Daniel wouldn’t live a life of luxury because the family would be ruined if the truth came out.  Maybe Conrad also threatened to take the child away from Victoria, I don’t recall exactly.

I'm going to call Margaux's henchman NuFrank. Emily should trounce them easily. I think Victoria thinks so too.

Bec, how about ‘faux-Frank?’  Because this one is not likely at bright as Frank.

It's also odd that Daniel supposedly managed Louise's fortune when she is not in control of her money.  Plot fail!

Jlina – I didn’t think he ever really “got” the account, but that louise was calling him because she was trying to get close to Victoria.  Whatever happened with that sub-plot, or do we put it down to the crazy drugs?

Culturevulture73 – I think that was the actor’s real Scottish accent.  Or he was playing Chibbs on Sons of Anarchy for so long, trying to turn it into a Belfast accent, that his accent is all messed up 

I Well, there is the journalist Emily convinced to plead guilty to killing (I forget who he supposedly killed).  She promised that, when she had cleared her father’s name, she would turn herself in, he would get out of jail and get the exclusive to write her story.  And she has killed a number of people.

Convincing Mason Treadwell to confess to a crime he didn't commit isn't a crime. And Emily went over it with Charlotte re: having killed someone. She hasn't.

• Love 2

Convincing Mason Treadwell to confess to a crime he didn't commit isn't a crime. And Emily went over it with Charlotte re: having killed someone. She hasn't.

Convincing Treadwell to confess is probably obstruction at minimum.  Giving a false confession is a crime and soliciting a crime makes you also guilty of that crime. That said, you are absolute right about the killing.  She's committed multiple felonies, including arson and at least two counts of kidnapping and false imprisonment.  But she has not killed anyone.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 1

It all falls under self-defense, more or less.

Perhaps morally, but not legally.  Morality and legality are fickle friends or, perhaps more accurately, estranged cousins.

Edited by RachelKM

Nolan is married! Hope Louis just tells the truth.

Yep, that seemed like a lame threat from the mother.  All Louise has to do is say to Nolan "You're not going to believe this, but my mother is telling me that I killed my father."  I'm sure Nolan would then do some investigating and discover it's not true. 

I was so excited to see Tommy Flanagan was joining the cast, but what a letdown he was...IMO he's not nearly as good an actor I thought he was in SoA.  I'm glad he's gone, but his Sweeney Todd death did nothing for me.

Off topic, but if anyone is still wondering, that was absolutely not a Scottish accent that Malcolm Black had. The actor was trying for some sort of Irish. It was a bit strange and sort of fluctuated a bit, but it was definitely meant to be Irish. But hey, Black was also supposed to be Canadian, right? So much of that storyline really didn't make sense.

I don't know if I actually want Nolan and Louise to get together for real. I just can't decide. They were actually cute this episode, and he does go for women sometimes, and she's just weird enough for him. A bit of happiness there would be nice.

I'm consistently amazed at the total incompetence that is David Clark.  His inability to kill Victoria, his half bake plans to try to get to Malcom Black are ridiculous,and  his inability to protect/ or rescue Emily is maddening.  Writers I really wish you would have left this total wast of screen time dead and buried.  Margo's ridiculous revenge idea is just that, she doesn't interest me at all, and if the foreseeable future is going to be her paltry attempt at revenge, it may be time for me to check out.  I do enjoy the Nolan/ Louise pairing.  I'm not invested in them romantically but as friends I like them.  I'm interested to see what will happen now that Ben knows the truth.  I still don't have a good feel for what they are trying to do with his character.