Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: What's Revealed At Nonnatus House Stays At Nonnatus House

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

It's not nothing, but it is surprising how many women fall into that .07%  so that  we have about 40% of babies born outside of marriage.  If the woman has an IUD or is on the pill and adds a barrier method the odds would be even smaller but I imagine the 40% would somehow stay the same.

I'm not sure I understand your point.  What does the number of children born to unmarried mothers have to do with their contraceptive method?  Many unmarried women have planned pregnancies and married women have unplanned ones.  I've practiced OB/GYN for 35+ years and it never occurred to me that there was a correlation between IUD failure and the marital status of the woman using it.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

What does the number of children born to unmarried mothers have to do with their contraceptive method?

While many women who are pregnant and unmarried have planned the pregnancy and are are very happy about it,  quite a few of them are not happy about it .  They are not financially prepared for it, or they do not know how they will pay for child care while doing a low wage job.  Some of them are in the middle of college or simply don't feel ready to have a child. Some of them may see an advantage for the  baby to have a father in the home and want to wait for marriage to start their family. 

The rate of abortions and the cost of government assistance for these women, as well as their own words make it fairly evident to me that some of these  pregnancies aren't welcome.  So, I would think it's a logical conclusion that if they didn't want, or weren't ready for, a baby, yet find themselves pregnant, their birth control measures  failed.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

While many women who are pregnant and unmarried have planned the pregnancy and are are very happy about it,  quite a few of them are not happy about it .  They are not financially prepared for it, or they do not know how they will pay for child care while doing a low wage job.  Some of them are in the middle of college or simply don't feel ready to have a child. Some of them may see an advantage for the  baby to have a father in the home and want to wait for marriage to start their family. 

The rate of abortions and the cost of government assistance for these women, as well as their own words make it fairly evident to me that some of these  pregnancies aren't welcome.  So, I would think it's a logical conclusion that if they didn't want, or weren't ready for, a baby, yet find themselves pregnant, their birth control measures  failed.

I do agree that it is more likely that an unmarried woman will have an unplanned pregnancy than a married one; that's been shown to be the case.  However, the use of LARC (long acting reversible contraception) such as the IUD or implant is also less in these women than in married women, probably at least in part because an unmarried woman is less likely to be regularly sexually active.  People who don't have sex regularly are less likely to use the most reliable contraceptive methods simply because they aren't having sex.  Therefore, I think the main reason unmarried women have a higher rate of unplanned pregnancy is not because their IUD failed but because they were less likely to be using an IUD in the first place.

The unplanned pregnancy rate for woman who are cohabiting with a partner but not married falls somewhere between unmarried women not cohabiting and married women which, to me, indicates that people in ongoing relationships tend to use more reliable birth control.

Yes.  I agree. I had an IUD for years, I think they're great. 

My first post to you about this was tongue in cheek.  You were saying that IUD's had a certain  number of failures and I said it was surprising how many women fell into that small area of failure. That was the joke. I was kidding, thinking of all the women I've known who said they got pregnant while using some form of birth control or another and that they were that one in a thousand for whom it didn't work.  I wasn't clear. Sorry.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:44 PM, alexvillage said:

I am going to ask here. I am in the US but English is not my first language. In the show everyone refers to the babies without the article as in: "I can see baby's head", "Baby's heart is a little slow". I never heard this in my many years here so, is this something from the time period, or a Great Britain thing? Is it the same in countries like Canada and Australia, where the written English follow the British spelling?

On 5/18/2020 at 3:15 AM, dargosmydaddy said:

I think allexvillage was asking why they always leave "the" out. I'm not British, but having watched a lot of British shows, I think it's a British thing and not a time period thing. They also say "going to hospital" instead of "going to the hospital," and "have concussion" instead of "have a concussion."

Having watched a lot of Canadian TV, too, I don't think they do that. Not sure about Australia.

Personally I've always thought that it's because they're not referring to an object but they're calling it by name.  

But since the baby doesn't have a name and indeed can't be named until they know if it's a boy or a girl, calling it 'Baby' rather than 'the baby' makes it more personal.  It's the difference between calling somebody 'the patient' and calling them 'Mrs Patient'. 

• Love 5

I want to say that I appreciate the effort (and money) that this show puts into creating their fake babies to stand in for the real newborns.  I just finished watching the season finale of 'Grey's Anatomy' and have to say that they used the fakest looking fake baby to portray a newborn that I've ever seen.  Maybe they used up the prop budget early in the year, but this kid looked like a doll that I could buy at the local department store! :) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I want to say that I appreciate the effort (and money) that this show puts into creating their fake babies to stand in for the real newborns.

I believe they’ve actual built animatronic dolls in a few instances (like for Susan the thalidomide baby). And the real infants they use are only a couple of weeks old, so they don’t resemble the huge (relatively speaking) three-month-old “newborns” you see on other shows.

• Love 3