Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Completely Mad... Alena / S01.E06: Dungeons And Dragon Lady

Episode 05 Synopsis:

As our heroic trio finally approaches Valencia, they find shelter and doo-w** among local monks who have taken a vow of singing, led by Confessional Monk. Madalena, frustrated with King Richard, decides to take matters into her own hands with her own devious plot involving the besotted Chef and her winsome handmaiden, Gwynne.

Episode 06 Synopsis:

While Galavant struggles with the realization about his true love, King Richard goes on a voyage of self-discovery, thanks to a potion from the magician, Xanax. As Galavant draws closer to the woman he really loves, an emboldened King Richard starts to assert himself, just as his meaner, elder brother returns—Kingsley.

• Love 1

Madalena is just a horrible, horrible person.  She stole the meal he worked so hard to make for Gwen and then sent him to hang!

I still love the chef.  His little love song with Gwen was both sweet and terribly depressing.  (Another face from Downton Abbey!)

Gareth's grudging devotion to the king was kind of sweet.  He liked his decoupaged stool. 

Fun seeing all the gang together in the dungeon, even the jester.

I was not expecting Rutger Hauer.

• Love 7

Loved the episode...especially the song between the cook and the handmaiden!

Funny, lovely scenes in the dungeon and finally....THE RETURN OF KINGSLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next week should be awesome.

Love the king and Gal.  Both actors play evil, gorgeous, funny and dumber than a box of rocks - all in an endearing way.  Note:  Only the king is evil and funny and only Gal is gorgeous and funny...they are both dumber than a box of rocks, although the king's box is bigger!

• Love 7

Love the king and Gal.  Both actors play evil, gorgeous, funny and dumber than a box of rocks - all in an endearing way.  Note:  Only the king is evil and funny and only Gal is gorgeous and funny...they are both dumber than a box of rocks, although the king's box is bigger!

Well, he is the king.
  • Love 4

Madalena is just a horrible, horrible person. She stole the meal he worked so hard to make for Gwen and then sent him to hang!

I still love the chef. His little love song with Gwen was both sweet and terribly depressing. (Another face from Downton Abbey!)

Gareth's grudging devotion to the king was kind of sweet. He liked his decoupaged stool.

Fun seeing all the gang together in the dungeon, even the jester.

I was not expecting Rutger Hauer.

Is that who that was? He really aged. Wasn't he one of those macho action heroes in the 1980s?

I thought these episodes were hilarious (even Ricky Gervais couldn't ruin them), but with some heartfelt moments.

Loved the constant answer of "so, 9 o'clock?" to each convoluted description.

Madelena's full-on evil was fantastic -- from pimping out her handmaiden to her constant insults to her plan to overthrow the king. Also, the tango between her and Galavant was hot. Plus I loved seeing Galavant and Isabella realize they were in love with each other.

I don't know why I get such a kick out of it, but the running gag that Galavant is often odiferous makes me laugh.

At least Jester wasn't in his gang colors anymore.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

I like Madalena at first, but she's just been really grating in the last 4 eppies.

King Richard and Gareth are the best. I was like "Yes!" when Gareth told told that evil harpy that he's loyal to the king. I totally dug young Gareth.

The singing monks were awesome. I can't help it, I love me some Weird Al.

I didn't wanna. I tried to resist. But, I ship Galavant & Isabella. They're just so cute.

• Love 7

Almost embarrassed to ask, but did anything happen in the last 60 seconds? My DVR cut out and heaven forbid I miss an important musical comedy plot point.

Next week, set "Resurrection" to record and you can catch the end of it there.  You missed the king's brother (Rutger Hauer), who has returned to the castle.

• Love 1

Hocus Pocus Expialidocious! Petrificus Totalis!

Loved both eps. Madelena is awesomely evil. She and Kingsley would make the ultimate evil couple by the looks of it. I love the brotp between Richard, Gareth, and the chef.

Kingsley's reveal at the end was pretty awesome.

I enjoyed all the songs tonight! My favorite was Galabella's ballad and the song in King Richard's flashback. And Madelena's evil tango. I'm glad Galavant didn't fall for her evil charms!

I really hope this show gets renewed! I can't believe we only have 2 episodes left!

• Love 1

I like Madalena at first, but she's just been really grating in the last 4 eppies.

That's the point, I think. She's not the fair maiden Galavant thought. She's evil. Access to money and power brought out that part of her.
  • Love 1

I hate to be critical of an episode I enjoyed so much, but when Kingsley says he doesn't want to be king because he wants to conquer and kill and spread bastard children like wildflowers, I kept thinking, but that's pretty much the job description of a medieval king.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 14

That's the point, I think. She's not the fair maiden Galavant thought. She's evil. Access to money and power brought out that part of her.

It just doesn't work for me though. She hasn't 'gone evil' in a Love To Hate type of way. I just want someone to off her cause I can't stand her.

• Love 1

Rutger Hauer has been in a lot of things, notably 'Blade Runner' in 1982.  IMDB lists 153 (!) screen and TV credits for him.  He's 25 years older than Timothy Omundson.

I suspect Kingsley didn't want to deal with the 'ruling' part of being king when he left Richard to take over.  Not that Richard does much ruling, by the looks of things.

Ha, this show continues to be hilarious!  I can't believe how fond I've become of the silly evil king.  I was also genuinely concerned for the Chef when he was on the gallows.  Didn't really care for Ricky Gervais, though the Xanax jokes were amusing.  But Weird Al!  Jazz hands!

Did the previous episodes have a preview at the end?  I can't remember, but this one definitely did not.  It's not like I need one to look forward to next week, but ...

• Love 3
Note:  Only the king is evil and funny and only Gal is gorgeous and funny...they are both dumber than a box of rocks, although the king's box is bigger!

Note to your note:  The king is funny, evil AND gorgeous.  Or handsome.  Love me some Omundson.  

I predict that Gal is going to be one of the seeds that Kingsley spread across the land, especially since he looked much older than his brother. (Which was kind of hilarious because they looked like they were only about ten years apart, at most, in the flashbacks but the older actors are 25 years apart and look it.)

The songs were enjoyable but I wish they'd repeat some of the melodies at times to make it easier to get into them like many musicals do and the way they did with Galavant from the pilot.  I enjoyed this episode more for the comedy.  Galavant realizing all the gallow doors weren't locked and then chastising everyone in the cells for never having tried cracked me up.  As did Gareth's realizing that Richard's 'hug of love' was Xanax induced.

• Love 4

It just doesn't work for me though. She hasn't 'gone evil' in a Love To Hate type of way. I just want someone to off her cause I can't stand her.

To each his own. I think Madelena is hilariously evil and I enjoy the more evil she gets.

I predict that Gal is going to be one of the seeds that Kingsley spread across the land

That was my thought too. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

To each his own. I think Madelena is hilariously evil and I enjoy the more evil she gets.

Me too. I liked that Madalena was featured more in these episodes. I particularly liked her solo song with her mirror reflections singing backup. I bet that was a lot of fun to shoot. Also, the evil tango with Galavant was deliciously hot.

• Love 5

Seriously, has there ever been a more ADORABLE show on TV?  This is just cute, charming, funny, delightful and FULL of gorgeous men.  I am loving it.  I don't care how corny it is...it's different!  More, please.  More King and Galavant especially!!!

• Love 13

Almost embarrassed to ask, but did anything happen in the last 60 seconds? My DVR cut out and heaven forbid I miss an important musical comedy plot point.

Same here.  I wish ABC shows didn't run over all the time.  It's so annoying, and has made me drop shows that I'd otherwise watch. 

The songs were enjoyable but I wish they'd repeat some of the melodies at times to make it easier to get into them like many musicals do and the way they did with Galavant from the pilot.

Thank God they don't.  I still can't get the song Galavant out of my head.  Worst earworm I've ever had.  It keeps popping up in my mind since the pilot, and slowly driving me mad!

I hate to be critical of an episode I enjoyed so much, but when Kingsley says he doesn't want to be king because he wants to conquer and kill and spread bastard children like wildflowers, I kept thinking, but that's pretty much the job description of a medieval king.

Yeah, but those are the fun parts and the perks, he probably didn't want the work part.

I loved the line "31 different types of sacramental wine"

Kingsley and Madalena would make an excellent power couple of evil entitlement.

The song with the Chef and the handmaiden was both hilarious and depressing. It reminded me of the Cosmo Jarvis Pirate song...

This show is hilarious. It's a shame that it's probably going to be a one and done season.

• Love 1

This show makes me smile throughout the episodes, and then afterwards. Sid and the chef are such great secondary characters. Plus, I love that the jester is still down in the dungeon.

I hope King Richard turns out to be good. I can't help loving Timothy's portrayal of him. Plus, I just want Isabella and Galavant to have their happily ever after. They have such great chemistry, especially during their ballad.

Most of the shows I DVR run over so I just set the series recording to start 2 minutes early and record 5 minutes after. Worth the extra few clicks!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Most of the shows I DVR run over so I just set the series recording to start 2 minutes early and record 5 minutes after. Worth the extra few clicks!

I normally do that, but I'm sharing a DVR and other recordings were starting.

I liked the first episode more than the second one.  I didn't really find Xanax that funny, and was expecting more from Ricky Gervais.

On the whole, it was probably a good idea to air two episodes per night instead of stretching it over 8 weeks.  I did take a break between watching each, though.

Someone up threat stated that these where the best episodes so far and I cannot help but agree. Which is good, because then it will close strong. Everything was on point tonight--the singing, acting, Madelena was falling more sharply bitchward (I'm looking for an opportunity to use that phrase in real life, i love it, everything was great. I was also just laughing out loud with these episodes and this show and I know that is the point, but I'm just really glad this show was made.

Anyone else notice Madelena's wardrobe has gotten more classic evil queen tonight?

Yup. that purple dress though, so beautiful and right out of a disney evil queens wardrobe.

Seriously, has there ever been a more ADORABLE show on TV?  

Never. Ever. I think Bunheads pulls a close second, but this wins for cutest and silliest show ever. 

• Love 4

I loved both of last night's episodes.  The Singing Monks, Xanax jokes and I liked the Ricky Gervais scenes quite a bit.  I loved everything Richard and Gareth, I swear Vinnie Jones might end up being my favorite for the whole show.  I loved his moral quandary about Richard vs Madelena and telling all the prisoners about how he's the one being tortured the most. 

I think the scenes in the dungeon were the best, seeing most of the characters together and interacting and I loved the Galavant/Isabella number.  I also loved seeing the Jester chained up and his attitude when Gal was still "in love" with Madelena.  The Madelena/Galavant tango was great as well, loved the song and the dancing and yes once Madelana embraced her inner evil her clothes went all Maleficent...nice touch.

Speaking of inner evil, I'm not really sure what Madelana's grand plan is to be exact.  Apparently she thinks everyone around her is dumb, worthless and she's the only one fit to rule but how does bringing in Kingsley help her?  He's just going to over throw his brother and then give both kingdom's to Madelena?  He's going to overthrow Richard and then marry Madelana making her his Queen?  How does that put her in the position to rule?  I get this is a farce/comedy so I shouldn't think too hard about it but it would be nice if Madelana's narcissistic belief that she's the best, smartest and most beautiful/deserving person is what ultimately brings her low.  That her grand coup d'état resulted in losing everything she thought she deserved.

It's weird because Richard has done so much worse, even accidentally killing those two red shirts but Madelena has gone after character's I like instead of nameless/faceless people, so I dislike her more.  What she did to Chef was cold and I adore Chef, same with the Jester, and Richard and Galvant, etc, etc.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I love that this show makes me laugh. Although I normally love musicals, I love the silliness of this show even more than the music (I view the musical numbers as a bonus). It's just so fun to watch.

I also love the silly sight gags. Last week it was the Winterfell/Hell sign and this week it was the population on the Valencia sign that had 1400 crossed out (with 87 written underneath).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

It's weird because Richard has done so much worse, even accidentally killing those two red shirts but Madelena has gone after character's I like instead of nameless/faceless people, so I dislike her more.

I think it's because Richard seems accidentally evil.  He doesn't really connect what he's doing to the consequences, like at the hanging when he was absently toying with the gallows levers, and the poor chef had to distract him from them before he dropped.  Richard didn't even hold a grudge against the jester.  He's like the Queen of Hearts in the book version of Alice and Wonderland, sentencing people to death for random things.  However, in the book, the King of Hearts pardons every one after the Queen leaves the room, and no one is actually executed.  Richard needs someone to pardon people, and then he won't be such a disaster.

Madelena on the other hand is 112% committed to ruling by whatever means necessary.

• Love 6

I think it's because Richard seems accidentally evil.  He doesn't really connect what he's doing to the consequences, like at the hanging when he was absently toying with the gallows levers, and the poor chef had to distract him from them before he dropped.  Richard didn't even hold a grudge against the jester.

The gag with the fiddling hand on the gallow levers was wickedly funny!  I think Richard was kind of bummed when he couldn't pal around with the jester anymore because he's boinking his wife.  He looked a tad depressed that he was loosing one of his besties.

Whoever said "For realsies" last night killed me with that.

If Rutger Hauer sings I may need to call 9-1-1.

Whoever said "For realsies" last night killed me with that.

It was King Dickie which made me howl.  

Indeed.  It was established that she was in it for the fame and fortune (hey she's honest) but this descent into evilness actually makes things better.  It's a funny transition but it's one that works.  Once Upon A Time can learn from that.

They really nailed the casting of young Gareth, did they not? Spectacular.

I agree with all that I love this little show. What a lovely winter palate cleanser. I will keep my fingers crossed for a future season of the adventures of Gal, Izzie and Sid as they continue to save the world. (But only if King Dick can somehow be involved.)

I also enjoyed the silly Sid moment of "you know, they should make the pants have an easy opening and Zip! the pants come undone!" "Don't be ridiculous."

• Love 7

"For realsies" killed me- as did "up your butt" and the ensuing explanation of the joke.  Jazz hands will never not be funny.  I appreciate Madelana embracing the full on evil.  "I really like stuff."  The tango was perfect.  

The King is awesome, as are the other main characters, but the supporting players really nail it.  I'll echo my love for Gareth.  The Chef may actually be my favorite though.  

I am going to be so sad when this sow ends.

I did miss the Jester singing us into the show.  

Edited by gik910
  • Love 3

I think next season should be Gal and the gang teaming up with Dickie and his boys (Gareth and Cook) to take down Magdelina and Kingsley.

I do love this show and all it's players. I was actually worried (the show almost being at it's end) that the King would accidentally hang the Cook. I caught by breath a few times when he was playing with the knob. I like that the show pokes fun at itself, what with the monks with the vow of singing and Galavant's obvious dislike of the singing. And them realizing the prison doors weren't locked. Such great nonsense this show is. Such a nice relief from all the murder, rape and famewhores tv is generally covered in these days,

• Love 7