Type keyword(s) to search

Empire's Fashion: Ghetto Fabulous!

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

According to that article, Paolo Nieddu was the costume designer for the pilot, Rita McGhee did the rest of season 1, and Nieddu is doing all of season 2. Ugh.

"It literally gives me chills,” Paolo Nieddu says of his "dream job" as costume designer for Empire. Having worked as the assistant costume designer on Sex and the City: The Movie, Nieddu is no stranger to executing high-end, big-ticket looks onscreen.

According to that article, Paolo Nieddu was the costume designer for the pilot, Rita McGhee did the rest of season 1, and Nieddu is doing all of season 2. Ugh.

Ugh indeed, thanks. From that hideous peacock thing in the premiere to the polka dot nightmare from the most recent episode, I have no idea why they brought this dude back.

• Love 2

They need to bring back Rita McGhee.........with a quickness.

So not liking Cookie's wardrobe this season.  It's very "I'm stuck in the 90s", whereas last season was more of like a hood couture.  The other designer definitely needs to come back.

• Love 4

So not liking Cookie's wardrobe this season.  It's very "I'm stuck in the 90s", whereas last season was more of like a hood couture.  The other designer definitely needs to come back.

This episode, I liked her suit, but that red homage to Thriller?  No....just no thanks.

This episode her hair was okay....last episode it looks way messy.

She looks gorgeous in this photo shoot!  Go Cookie!  Go Taraji!

I don't like Cookie's fashion (non)sense this season either. That peacock motiff blouse thing she wore in the first episode looked like they went to a craft store, bought feather boas and sequins and used a hot glue gun to attach it to the blouse. And that rope dress thing looked like they bought it at Home Depot.

• Love 1

I'm with all of you on the Cookie's wardrobe malfunction. Her style last season isn't my cup of tea but it was loads of fun to look at and there were a few pieces that I really liked. This season's clothes are fucking hideous and tacky as hell. 

• Love 2

I'm with all of you on the Cookie's wardrobe malfunction. Her style last season isn't my cup of tea but it was loads of fun to look at and there were a few pieces that I really liked. This season's clothes are fucking hideous and tacky as hell. 

I agree with you. I liked some of Cookie's wardrobe last season. But this season---- it looks like the stuff Good Will throws away  embellished with finds from Michaels/AC Moore and Home Depot.

• Love 1

Regarding Cookie's wardrobe, last season it was almost like she was too fancy. how did this woman who was in jail for 16 years immediately get such a killer wardrobe?? But we can assume Lucious payed for it. Now that she's on her own, it's like she had to sell her wardrobe to pay for Lyon Dynasty start up and she's rummaging through Goodwill, decades pre-prison closet, or old Halloween costumes. A full-on red pleather Thriller suit!! Really?! And this was after a Rosie the Riveter look and a 60s mod dress suit earlier in the episode--which was still better than last week's 60s mod pantsuit. Last season I thought her wardrobe was edgy but professional and she looked on fleek, as my daughter would say. But this entire season has been one outrageous costume after another that every time she changes outfits I'm completely distracted thinking what the hell is Cookie wearing now?! She looks ridiculous! But at the same time, her character is so over-the-top that I get her clothes are just as outrageous as she is. I'm equally distracted by the DA's wardrobe, but that's about the parts unclothed, so I suppose that doesn't count. I love Thirsy's outrageous colored suits--perfect for his character. And Lucious is always looking fine in his suits with pocket square, sans tie.

Edited by JenE4

. I'm equally distracted by the DA's wardrobe, but that's about the parts unclothed, so I suppose that doesn't count. I love Thirsy's outrageous colored suits--perfect for his character. And Lucious is always looking fine in his suits with pocket square, sans tie.

Thirsty is dressed like a pimp from a blaxploitation film.

How many extra-heavy duty push-up bras does does the prosecutor wear?

Regarding Cookie's wardrobe, last season it was almost like she was too fancy. how did this woman who was in jail for 16 years immediately get such a killer wardrobe?? But we can assume Lucious payed for it. Now that she's on her own, it's like she had to sell her wardrobe to pay for Lyon Dynasty start up and she's rummaging through Goodwill, decades pre-prison closet, or old Halloween costumes. A full-on red pleather Thriller suit!! Really?! And this was after a Rosie the Riveter look and a 60s mod dress suit earlier in the episode--which was still better than last week's 60s mod pantsuit. Last season I thought her wardrobe was edgy but professional and she looked on fleek, as my daughter would say. But this entire season has been one outrageous costume after another that every time she changes outfits I'm completely distracted thinking what the hell is Cookie wearing now?! She looks ridiculous! But at the same time, her character is so over-the-top that I get her clothes are just as outrageous as she is. I'm equally distracted by the DA's wardrobe, but that's about the parts unclothed, so I suppose that doesn't count. I love Thirsy's outrageous colored suits--perfect for his character. And Lucious is always looking fine in his suits with pocket square, sans tie.

Its hard to hate a man wearing a pocket square.

That Thriller pantsuit felt very much like a last straw to me.  Like the last shred of hope for Cookie looking like the fabulous Cookie of last year just left the building.  Last year Cookie's wardrobe added to the luxe feel of Empire, this year they take away from it and thats too bad.  Its a fine line between edgy and ridiculous.....and I think its been crossed.

Thirsty's suits are absolutely perfect for his character, so while they add color, they fit....just like Cookie's outfits last year....IMO.  Yeah, the outfits were over the top, but they were fabulous so it fit with the story of her being this over the top personality working for a big company.

• Love 3

Thirsty's suits are absolutely perfect for his character, so while they add color, they fit....just like Cookie's outfits last year....IMO.  Yeah, the outfits were over the top, but they were fabulous so it fit with the story of her being this over the top personality working for a big company.

I meant Thristy's homage to pimps in blaxploitation movies as a compliment---because his character is as shady as a blaxploitation pimp. :-)

• Love 3

Glad they're finding better outfits for Becky/Gabi to wear, but that color did not suit her at all.  If they wanted color, it should have been a red or a yellow/gold-ish dress. 

Speaking of dresses, that red number Alicia Keys had on did her no favors.

Cookie's leather prison dress was everything; however, I thought we had gotten rid of them damn bangs. Ugh.

• Love 1

Glad they're finding better outfits for Becky/Gabi to wear, but that color did not suit her at all.  If they wanted color, it should have been a red or a yellow/gold-ish dress. 

Speaking of dresses, that red number Alicia Keys had on did her no favors.

Cookie's leather prison dress was everything; however, I thought we had gotten rid of them damn bangs. Ugh.

I like the layered bangs alot better than the very blunt Egyptian wig type bangs she had earlier.

I am not sure how I feel about that last look Cookie had, the one she had the vapors in.

It was the ruffle thing about mid-arm that has me wondering if that's A Thing now. Also, I don't see Cookie looking at that twice.

I did like the black coat with the colored writing around it, though.

50 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I really loved Rhonda's floral print dress with the crisscross straps in the back.

Me too.....that dress was beautiful, and she has the right shape for it.  There are a lot of outfits that Cookie pulls off that Rhonda could never wear, but that dress was PERFECT for Rhonda and it was gorgeous.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RCharter said:

Me too.....that dress was beautiful, and she has the right shape for it.  There are a lot of outfits that Cookie pulls off that Rhonda could never wear, but that dress was PERFECT for Rhonda and it was gorgeous.

I found the dress on Empire's website and it is $1650!!!!  A tad bit overpriced.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I found the dress on Empire's website and it is $1650!!!!  A tad bit overpriced.

just a tad :)

Its a pretty dress, but you need to have Rhonda's body to pull that off......and I don't so I'll just keep my $$$$

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

This blog has the clothes from every episode

No, it doesn't. Cookie's wardrobe was exquisite this episode but I just checked your link and it does not have the dress I'm dying for. This is the dress I am talking about. TO DIE FOR!!!C9PWnxxXcAAEBir.jpg

• Love 1
On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Margohill said:

No, it doesn't. Cookie's wardrobe was exquisite this episode but I just checked your link and it does not have the dress I'm dying for. This is the dress I am talking about. TO DIE FOR!!!C9PWnxxXcAAEBir.jpg

That is beautiful.  Try Free People or some of the designers they usually use.