Type keyword(s) to search

Empire's Fashion: Ghetto Fabulous!

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

One of the most important things about Empire is the look. Clothes (or the lack thereof) definitely make the characters on this show, whether it's Lucius' suits,  the boys' gear or anything and everything Cookie wears.   Discuss everything fashion-related on the show,  whether it's from the runway or the swap meet, here.

• Love 1

Yes, that red animal print dress was great and I liked the strappy, tall sandals that were paired with it.  The silhouette was fab.

What about Anika's dark brown lipstick.  I waffled over it.  On the one hand I like the drama of if and thought it perfectly matched her dress.  but on the other it felt a little harsh.  I think I finally came down to, she carried it off but not everyone could.

• Love 1

I'm going to take it back and talk about Anika's outfit we first saw her wearing the pilot. Y'all, remember the shirt she was wearing tucked into the jeans. Her outfit had me confused on what decade we were in. I thought it was the 80s.

Cookie's zebra print dress that she wore in Ep2 was killer. Loved it!

So I have a question about Hakeem's style that probably falls into the I may be old and out of touch category.  Is there anything current about Hakeem's clothes and hair?

It gives me the feel of the 80's and 90's,  I can't put my finger on exactly who he reminds me of but the likes of MC Hammer, Kid n Play, Fresh Prince, New Edition, and Boyz II Men come to mind.  I swear at one point, he was wearing the yellow shirt that Denise tried to replicate for Theo on the Cosby show.  And I'm pretty sure this is Boy George's hat...

empire-2-800.jpg

boy%20george.jpg?0

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

They are making it so clear that Jamal is Lucious's musical heir apparent, that perhaps they are intentionally avoiding anything that would be reminiscent of Lucious's gangster rapper origins with Hakeem. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I think I heard that Hakeem's 90's style is intentional.  I don't know if there is a specific meaning behind it, but that it does harken back to a lot of 80's and 90's.

Currently all of the 80s and 90s stuff is really hot right now - a lot of kids are doing the high top fades and clothes that harken back to the 80s, but with a slightly fresh take.

Also I think capes have been hitting the past 2-3 seasons - but Cookie's version might extend that trend a bit longer. I bought my cape (very similar to Cookie's) 3 years ago.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

Well, the one thing I've picked up from that is that perhaps Jamal and Hakeem have become "aligned" again as brothers? Meaning they've overcome the obstacle Andre threw at them?

Or they just wanted to do a black/white themed dinner.

I want that cape so badly.

I'm getting into sewing clothes. Here's a Vogue pattern that's similar to Cookie's cape. http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8959-products-47839.php?page_id=265 

If you substitute a standard notch collar or one of the other types of notch collars for the Peter Pan collar in the Vogue pattern and lengthen the arm slits, it will be pretty close to Cookie's. (Hmmmm, good excuse to go to the fabric store this weekend!)

Edited by Milz
  • Love 4

Thanks for the info, Milz, you're speaking my language.  I'm tall, so even if I had $300 to drop on the cape I'd be worried that it would be too cropped on me.  A $15 pattern that comes in lengths is a much more sensible idea!

Now, is there an easy and cheap way to replicate Cookie's furs? :) 

• Love 3

Thanks for the info, Milz, you're speaking my language.  I'm tall, so even if I had $300 to drop on the cape I'd be worried that it would be too cropped on me.  A $15 pattern that comes in lengths is a much more sensible idea!

Now, is there an easy and cheap way to replicate Cookie's furs? :) 

The $$$$$$$ is the reason why I'm learning to sew clothes, lol.  Also, I like the fact that I can adjust or modify a pattern to what I want and what looks best on me.

I would totally do Cookie's cape using fleece fabric (polar or microfleece) because fleece is easy to sew, doesn't require special washing/care methods and it comes in alot of patterns and colors. (I can totally see the cape in a black and white large hounds tooth  print.)

For Cookie's furs, you could use a coat pattern and faux fur. I haven't worked with faux fur, so I can't tell you how easy (or difficult) it would be.

• Love 1

The outerwear this past episode was just awesome.  Anika's wardrobe hasn't impressed me much, but that grey wool coat and the scarf she wore when leaving Chez Lucious were so classy.  Then she followed it up with that second grey coat with the shiny silver shoulders and sleeves.  Jamal had a really sharp grey coat this episode too.  Then, to cap it all off, Rhonda showed up in that beige jacket with the leather sleeves!  *dies*

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah - Anika's wardrobe was on point... sometimes they dress her too harshly - I wish they would soften the colors they put her in sometimes... it's all hard colors mostly, but that gray coat with the contrasting red/gray check scarf was gorgeous.

And the episode before when she went to see Beretti with her cream/nude dress, nude heels and that burgundy-red fur? Gorgeous.

One day I'm going to wear a nude/camel/caramel dress with matching heels.

Btw - that coat Anika wore at the house and later on with Hakeem was the same coat.

Also - is the actress who plays Anika a Delta? Cause they stay keeping her in red and sometimes crimson and cream.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved the red feathery jacket Anika was wearing when she first went to see Berretti.

Great piece but it didn't seem like something out of Anika's wardrobe. Was Anika trying to channel her inner Cookie in order to defect to Berretti? Edited by CofCinci

I have missed half of tonight's episode cause I've been online trying to find that front handle clutch Cookie walked in that room with. I need it in my life!!

Did you find it?  I just now watched the season and I have Got  To  Have  That  Bag!  I thought it might be Nancy Gonzalez.  But if it is I can't see it...

I absolutely hate all of Cookie's outfits this season. And her hair looks terrible in almost every scene. I have no idea if they fired the fashion designer from season 1 or just think they can get away with anything but they need to stop. She doesn't look "ghetto fabulous", she looks awful! Taraji is way too beautiful for these clownish costumes they're putting her in.

• Love 2