Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Trini

My closed captioning said "she was a respected neurologist who closed her practice last January."  An inconsistency, I guess.  But it made more sense to me that she would have had a neurology practice.

You don't usually change specialities in medicine that radically.  And I say this as someone who spent most of his undergraduate career focused on microbiology.

I'm really sorry that this is what I choose to obsess over.  It's probably why my husband hates watching television with me.

• Love 3

You don't usually change specialities in medicine that radically.  And I say this as someone who spent most of his undergraduate career focused on microbiology.

I'm really sorry that this is what I choose to obsess over.  It's probably why my husband hates watching television with me.

This is a critque that actually makes sense unlike the review of this episode made by the writer on this site and thats no shade to the writers on previosuly tv/ twop forum had same slipups hopefully i dont get repriamnded speaking the truth

...I'm really sorry that this is what I choose to obsess over.  It's probably why my husband hates watching television with me.

My whole family hates to watch with me. More than one generation, heh. Thank goodness we have places like this to vent and commiserate. I have a nit-pick on the next episode. See you in that thread when you're ready! *waves*
  • Love 3
I'm fairly sure the virus killed  7  billion people in the year 2017 so I'm not sure why the reviewer is mentioning those fictional 2 billion because they wouldn't exist. Then again I'm not 100% on that virus timeline

I think you are right.  It was 2017 when the virus starting killing everyone. 

I liked the episode, but I really do wonder how this concept can be sustained for anyone more than a season or two.  I mean, once Cole succeeds, the show ends, and I think you can only have so many "Thank you for rescuing me, but our princess is in another castle" style plots before the audience gives up.     

• Love 1

I liked the episode, but I really do wonder how this concept can be sustained for anyone more than a season or two.  I mean, once Cole succeeds, the show ends, and I think you can only have so many "Thank you for rescuing me, but our princess is in another castle" style plots before the audience gives up.     

yea they are right about it being 2017 when the virus began and i think the doctor cassandra died soon after if im not mistaken because it seems she didnt really last long after the virus camedied while she was still young,

lol i guarantee there will be another season American tv writers no how to extend shows that realistically would be wrapped up in one season

coughcough Revenge , Homeland, The leftovers, Resurrection, Under the dome etc  They can't seem to write self contained storylines that wrap itself up in one season they alwayts have to pile up a bunch of crap that have nothing to do with the original premise of the hsow in order to artifically extend a show that had a very short shelf life to begin with based on its very premise.

I hope this show doesn't do that and ends when it needs to end no matter how much i like the show if they do another season i know for a fact i will enjoy it less.

Edited by teezy
  • Love 1

Valid point, starri. It's not the first time closed

captioning might have been wrong.

I used to watch stuff on tv with closed captioning all the time with my dad and I can't tell you how many times the captions have been incorrect. I have never understood why shows don't just send the scripts to the closed captioning people. In very minor defense of whoever transcribed this episode for closed captioning, virologist and neurologist can sound similar when spoken.
  • Love 2

When Cole stops the virus, 9 billion people accelerated global warming to the point where 7 billion die. Then Cole gets sent back with a new list of people to kill in season 2....At the end of season 2, Cole is killed in 2015 and a cyborg from the future is sent back to save him.....

• Love 2

I liked the reviewer's review since he/she liked Battlestar Galactica.  That's enough for me.  As for the poster who said it has just become "cool" to bash SyFy these days and that is why people do it cause of pro wrestling replacing sci fi etc?  Actually that makes it kind of "sane" to bash it in my book.  That and seeing some of their so-called top-of-the-line offerings of late like Helix.

As for this show I did some time traveling myself.   I caught it on the back-to-back rebroadcasts where I tuned into the first re-broadcast about half way through and warped around and watched the beginning half hour the next re-broadcast.  So that blew my mind even more than normal.  One thing I missed both times however was who the black guy was sitting with whatever type of scientist the lady is suppose to be and the time traveler with the bad attitude. ("Me shoot people to save lives and not tell them why I kill them cause me protagonist and that makes it ok"). 

Maybe the scene came on right after a commercial break and I was out channel surfing and came back a little late but all I got was that the black dude knew the correct last name to the guy to be shot which was good for anyone running around town actually named Leland Frost.  ("Me kill you cause you bad guy.  Whoops, wrong name.  Too bad but me protagonist so me get to kill random people too so no big deal").  Anyway who was the black guy, how does he figure into the plot and does he get a medal for saving everyone in town named Leland Frost from crazy time traveler dude?

The pilot just moved too fast for me.  I wanted to get to know these characters, especially the supposed evil scientist guy.  But before I can start to soak him in, bang, he is gone.  And without an explanation to him or the viewers.  What a waste of an interesting looking bad guy.  

And you might only get one chance to reverse the curse and you just shoot someone based on choppy audio?  If the guy is time traveling he thus by definition has "time" to research and figuring things out and get it right as opposed to just shooting at anyone named Leland without figuring out what the guy knows.  Cause he destroys intelligence gathering with that kill as well since "fine adjustments" to the time line don't work he says so he can't keep re-shooting him endlessly it seems.

Anyway there is enough to watch another episode but the time traveler dude has to gain some logic and sanity for this series to work for me.  Cause when I root against the main character things do not go well for future viewing usually.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

I liked the reviewer's review since he/she liked Battlestar Galactica.  That's enough for me.  As for the poster who said it has just become "cool" to bash SyFy these days and that is why people do it cause of pro wrestling replacing sci fi etc?  Actually that makes it kind of "sane" to bash it in my book.  That and seeing some of their so-called top-of-the-line offerings of late like Helix.

As for this show I did some time traveling myself.   I caught it on the back-to-back rebroadcasts where I tuned into the first re-broadcast about half way through and warped around and watched the beginning half hour the next re-broadcast.  So that blew my mind even more than normal.  One thing I missed both times however was who the black guy was sitting with whatever type of scientist the lady is suppose to be and the time traveler with the bad attitude. ("Me shoot people to save lives and not tell them why I kill them cause me protagonist and that makes it ok"). 

Maybe the scene came on right after a commercial break and I was out channel surfing and came back a little late but all I got was that the black dude knew the correct last name to the guy to be shot which was good for anyone running around town actually named Leland Frost.  ("Me kill you cause you bad guy.  Whoops, wrong name.  Too bad but me protagonist so me get to kill random people too so no big deal").  Anyway who was the black guy, how does he figure into the plot and does he get a medal for saving everyone in town named Leland Frost from crazy time traveler dude?

The pilot just moved too fast for me.  I wanted to get to know these characters, especially the supposed evil scientist guy.  But before I can start to soak him in, bang, he is gone.  And without an explanation to him or the viewers.  What a waste of an interesting looking bad guy.  

And you might only get one chance to reverse the curse and you just shoot someone based on choppy audio?  If the guy is time traveling he thus by definition has "time" to research and figuring things out and get it right as opposed to just shooting at anyone named Leland without figuring out what the guy knows.  Cause he destroys intelligence gathering with that kill as well since "fine adjustments" to the time line don't work he says so he can't keep re-shooting him endlessly it seems.

Anyway there is enough to watch another episode but the time traveler dude has to gain some logic and sanity for this series to work for me.  Cause when I root against the main character things do not go well for future viewing usually.

I see what your saying but it is clearly explained in the show why he thinks he has to kill leland frost  that is his entire mission and only reason they sent him back to past.  But i do agree with that he jumped the gun  in shooting him

On the topic with the black guy his name is jeremy and he is a friend of the scientist who she had researching leland frost  ever since Cole disappeared.

Edited by teezy
  • Love 1

If they told Goynes everyting in the first episode and he went "Oh yeah, that project that will make me billions will kill 7 billion people, because some guy from the future says so? Sure, stop right now, no problem folks." There wouldn't be a second episode. Sometimes, characters have to be dumb to have a tv show at all.

Also, if they flat out told him, why would he believe them? 2 people he never met suddenly tell him that his research wll kill off humanity in the future? When Cassandra already knows that people thinks she is crazy? Hell, they doubted her before she said "the kidnapped just disappeared" with all her talk of the next plague. He would just tell her he had heard of her and she needed to get help for her paranoid delusions.

Miles Dyson believed John Connor! Ha, I see what you are saying but it just seemed so contrived that Leland asked Cole directly what happens in the future and he didn't even try to explaon. It's like when two people on tv fight, one storms out, and the other person yells, "Wait! Don't go!" but stands in the doorway without even trying to follow the person who left.
  • Love 5

I see what your saying but it is clearly explained in the show why he thinks he has to kill leland frost  that is his entire mission and only reason they sent him back to past.  But i do agree with that he jumped the gun  in shooting him

On the topic with the black guy his name is jeremy and he is a friend of the scientist who she had researching leland frost  ever since Cole disappeared.

Thanks for explaining Jeremy.

And yeah I get his mission is to shoot this guy but it is based on a bad audio file that even he heard and no one really understands.  Pretty bogus foundation to base any plan on let alone one that is trying to save 7 billion people.  So I just think future folks' plan is dumb and time traveler dude blindly following it is even dumber.  I mean once he knows "Frost" isn't even the last name that should throw up a warning flag and he should put the brakes on and re-think stuff.  And again if you are a time traveler you literally have ALL the time in the world to research stuff and get things right.

I'm just afraid this kind of lazy writing set-up bodes ill for making any rational sense of anything else in this series and I'll end up more annoyed by it than enjoying it.  That and action heroes that just go shoot shoot kill kill bore me too.  I want a thinking protagonist.  Yeah the lady scientist is suppose to be that but, like in most shows, the thinker yet again takes a back seat to the "action" dude and spends half the episode trying to get them to chill and reason and the other half trying to bail them out of their illogical mistakes.

Hey I don't expect this time traveler to be Doctor Who but can he at least not be Doctor D'Oh.

Edited by green

One thing that kind of bothers me about the entire idea of time travel here, is basically it was supposed to be done once or twice. It takes a ton out of Cole to do it. I question why they keep sending him (and no one else) and if it would hurt him to keep doing it.  Did I miss it? Of course, I guess not because he pops up all over, but, it kind of bothers me that it seems to take so much out of him and yet he keeps doing it.

One thing that kind of bothers me about the entire idea of time travel here, is basically it was supposed to be done once or twice. It takes a ton out of Cole to do it. I question why they keep sending him (and no one else) and if it would hurt him to keep doing it.  Did I miss it? Of course, I guess not because he pops up all over, but, it kind of bothers me that it seems to take so much out of him and yet he keeps doing it.

This is a change from the 1995 movie. This Cole has biological enhancements (as per line from 2015 doctors) that Bruce Willis' Cole did not. This Cole heals quickly. Right after he arrives at his 2015 (or whenever) destination, to me he looks to be experiencing something similar to having a large ocean wave knocking him down, dragging him under, and then depositing him on the beach. In other words: No permanent damage (although I imagine that could change for plot purposes). In this version, instead of the time traveler's biological limitations, the obstacle that keeps folks from zipping around the past is

not enough energy to power the time travel machine in 2043

--and also not wanting to screw up history in a worse way than it already is and/or increasing the chances of meeting oneself in a cataclysmic paradox.

I used to watch stuff on tv with closed captioning all the time with my dad and I can't tell you how many times the captions have been incorrect. I have never understood why shows don't just send the scripts to the closed captioning people. In very minor defense of whoever transcribed this episode for closed captioning, virologist and neurologist can sound similar when spoken.

I agree about the cc. They must use voice recognition software or something? And sorry for the off topic, but I swear the captioning is worse (sometimes gibberish) on our new smart tv as compared to the older crt tv we still use occasionally. Can that be? Can it be that each specific tv somehow functions as the translator of the cc signal or something like that?  Sorry I know I'm no techie and this sounds crazy.

Edited by SoSueMe

I agree about the cc. They must use voice recognition software or something?...

My father has a phone that displays the caller's words. I was surprised to learn that the delay is caused by actual people having to listen and type. I've seen on TV--mostly live shows--wrong words being erased and replaced. Often they skip over parts. I would guess that gibberish is the result of using voice activated software.

If someone wants to give the approximate time stamp in the pilot where "neurologist" is indicated, I volunteer to go listen to what is actually said.

• Love 1

I agree about the cc. They must use voice recognition software or something?

It used to be people typing it up as they listened (and may still be, I have no idea) but voice recognition software is definitely a possibility. My phone voicemail transcribes my messages for me, I don't even have to listen to them, I just open the message and read it. And if someone has marble-mouth, the transcription is all kinds of wrong.

• Love 1

Since this has derailed in to the closed captioning discussion, I just have to mention the worst one I ever saw (on Doctor Who).  Clara (the companion) is talking to her boyfriend on the phone and according to my captioning he said to her, "How are your doing, bitch?"  I could hardly believe my eyes, but apparently others saw it too because someone posted about it, and a long discussion ensued that he had really said, "I'm here on our favorite bench" (he was sitting on a bench).  The next week, when they reran that episode, the captioning was corrected and it said, "I'm here on our favorite bench."  Kind of funny, actually.  So Virologist and Neurologist are not so bad.  

• Love 7

I was really excited for this because I love the film.  I expected it to be a bit goofy and nowhere near as good as the film, but unfortunately it was just boring and stupid as heck.  

The pilot was both too fast and too slow.  In the "too fast", I didn't buy any of Railly's reactions or motivations.  Seeing some of her initial doubt and the breakdown of her life might have been interesting.  They've already killed off the best actor on the show in Zeljko Ivanek.  Cole is interesting, but also seems too smooth and practised to me, but I might be just comparing him with Willis' version.

In the too slow area, a lot happened, but I didn't care about any of it, and it just felt like they were moving through a plot checklist.  I didn't care about the characters, so it plodded along for me.  

I doubt I'll bother watching the second episode, which is too bad, I'm definitely the target audience for this show and I really *wanted* to like it.

• Love 2

I'm currently reading a science fiction series where someone, apparently sane,

decides that killing that many people is a good idea.

Molshoop, I'd be interested to know what series this is.

• Love 2

The main reason Cassandra mentioned his name and Goines mentioned seeing him in 84.  The central conceit of the show is that he bounces around in time but in the wrong order.    The entire show is one big Paradox and thinking about it too much will give you a headache but so will any paradox.

I liked the episode, but I really do wonder how this concept can be sustained for anyone more than a season or two

That's my fear to but its possible that again the paradox might be that there is always more.  

His mission was never to gather intelligence.  It was always a one and done.  it was a Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator "Are you Sarah Connor" kind of mission.  The only reason he even paused at all and didn't just blow up the entire building he was in was Cassandra was there.   This always a one way mission for him.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I'm probably going to watch it all anyway, but I want to give this a few more episodes to see where it's going. A 2-hour pilot might have been appropriate.

This show has time travel. I'm pretty sure we'll see Leland Goines again somehow.

I don't think anyone thinks this show will be long-running. I mean, they already have an "end date" of 2017. And how long have any recent Syfy shows lasted anyway? I figure 3 seasons is good.

In any case, we don't know the full scope of the virus/12 Monkey army mystery yet, and how long it could take to unravel.

• Love 2

Molshoop, I'd be interested to know what series this is.

I don't know if this what Molshoop was referring to, but (spoilers for the book)

The Silo Series, by Hugh Howley, revolves around a plot were a small group of politicians start a nano/nuclear war on purpose, so the descendants of the chosen survivors can eventually restart society.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

...This show has time travel. I'm pretty sure we'll see Leland Goines again somehow.

I don't think anyone thinks this show will be long-running. I mean, they already have an "end date" of 2017. And how long have any recent Syfy shows lasted anyway? I figure 3 seasons is good.

In any case, we don't know the full scope of the virus/12 Monkey army mystery yet, and how long it could take to unravel.

Just like time travel means we could see Leeland Goines again--it was pretty much telegraphed with the brief exchange between him and Cole about how Goines had met him in the 80s, but Cole hadn't been there "yet"--time travel also means the show could go on for many seasons as travelers mess with the outcomes.

Historically SyFy has let a show run 4-5 seasons unless the ratings are in the toilet.

• Love 1

Cole:  I'm from the future, and I know that your experiments will lead to 7 Bn. dead, so I'm going to kill you now to save mankind.  Then because of the changed future, I'll vanish in a poof of smoke.

Leland:  I believe you, crazy-sounding stranger!  So just like that, I'll agree to refrain from completing my experiments into highly profitable technology.  Now you no longer need to kill me!

Cole:  And I believe you, too.  I'm so glad I told you why I was going to kill you, and gave you a chance to change your evil ways on the spot, thus relieving me of the burden of blowing you away.  The fact that I didn't go poof doesn't for an instant make me suspect that you're fibbing, just to save your own neck.....

I agree about that review, it was pretty negative.

I never waste my time reading the reviews.

• Love 3

His mission was never to gather intelligence.  It was always a one and done.  it was a Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator "Are you Sarah Connor" kind of mission.  The only reason he even paused at all and didn't just blow up the entire building he was in was Cassandra was there.   This always a one way mission for him.  

But that was my whole point.  His "mission" SHOULD have included gathering intelligence.  They had no real intelligence.  Just garbled audio junk.  A one and done mission based on that says to me the future scientists are the real bad guys trying to cover something up maybe.  Cause no one makes up a stupid mission like this one based on garbled stuff they can't understand.  Because, again, they have all the "time" in the world to figure it out and get it right.  But rush off half cocked and totally ignorant like this and get it wrong and it only gets worse.

Cause really who are they suppose to be anyway.  We have a Mad Max landscape with them doing time travel experiments in the middle of it?  Something is really fishy about them.  At least I hope there is.  Cause if they are actually the good guys they are really pathetic heroes.

• Love 1

Cole: I'm from the future, and I know that your experiments will lead to 7 Bn. dead, so I'm going to kill you now to save mankind. Then because of the changed future, I'll vanish in a poof of smoke.

Leland: I believe you, crazy-sounding stranger! So just like that, I'll agree to refrain from completing my experiments into highly profitable technology. Now you no longer need to kill me!

Cole: And I believe you, too. I'm so glad I told you why I was going to kill you, and gave you a chance to change your evil ways on the spot, thus relieving me of the burden of blowing you away. The fact that I didn't go poof doesn't for an instant make me suspect that you're fibbing, just to save your own neck.....

Heys isn't that a scene from T2 judgement Day?

To me that is an easy fix... just like terminator 2 and 3 were the war was only pushed back.   At the end of this year they could change (or already have) something that would slow when the epidemic would start.

Or they could do a season in the 1950s, a season in the old west,  a season in King Arthur's court, a season in Bedrock... there's also no reason they can't into the far, far future, to stop the (hopefully talking monkey) time traveler who originally brought the most critical part of the plague technology back into our time. Damn you all to hell, you filthy stinking apes!

I'm wondering if Cole killing Goines actually brought about the future he came from, by handing the money and power over to his crazypants (crazyscrubs?) daughter.

The 7 billion didn't bother me until I came here, because I was thinking of it killing huge swathes of each generation and then huge swathes of the next generation produced by the survivors, but if the future Cole is coming from is less than 50 years from now, there wouldn't have been enough time for a dwindling population to produce all those successive victims. I don't think.  I wasn't told there would be math involved in my post-Sesame Street television viewing.

Edited by Greta
  • Love 5

I have a question about the watches. Once he put the 2 watches together and they did their interactive thing, why didn't he retrieve them? Or did he? I noticed that he took the watch that was by Goines after he shot Goines, but what about the other watch? And are these watches necessary?

Cole found Cassie's watch on the wrist of her skeleton in 2043.  He brought it back and showed it to her, scratching the face of hers to show the scratch appearing on the one brought back from the future. 

Later, he places the two watches (more correctly, the two instances of the same watch) together, thus making an impromptu bomb to allow him to overpower and kill Leland.  The two instances of the same watch annihilate each other in the explosion, leaving Cassie with no watch to be wearing on her wrist when she dies -- no watch for Cole to find in 2043.

To prevent a paradox, Cole takes Leland's watch which happens to be of the same type, and gives it to Cassie, to replace the one he took from her, scratched and subsequently turned into a bomb.  Now, Cassie has a watch to wear, to die wearing, for Cole to find in 2043, to bring back, to scratch and subsequently turn into a bomb.  Paradox averted.

See?  All pretty straightforward.  This time traveling isn't at all confusing, once you get the hang of it.  In fact, I'm going to do quite a bit of time traveling soon.  I know, because my future self already will came back and telling me so!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

Spoiler tags aren't opening for me.

As a work-around, you can hit the quote button just to read the spoiler tagged text.

Cole found Cassie's watch on the wrist of her skeleton in 2043. He brought it back and showed it to her, scratching the face of hers to show the scratch appearing on the one brought back from the future.

Later, he places the two watches (more correctly, the two instances of the same watch) together, thus making an impromptu bomb to allow him to overpower and kill Leland. The two instances of the same watch annihilate each other in the explosion, leaving Cassie with no watch to be wearing on her wrist when she dies -- no watch for Cole to find in 2043.

To prevent a paradox, Cole takes Leland's watch which happens to be of the same type, and gives it to Cassie, to replace the one he took from her, scratched and subsequently turned into a bomb. Now, Cassie has a watch to wear, to die wearing, for Cole to find in 2043, to bring back, to scratch and subsequently turn into a bomb. Paradox averted.

See? All pretty straightforward. This time traveling isn't at all confusing, once you get the hang of it. In fact, I'm going to do quite a bit of time traveling soon. I know, because my future self already will came back and telling me so!

That was Leeland's watch? Are you sure? I mean, did he take off of his wrist? Or did Leeland just pocket Cassie's watch? (Pun not intended.) The watches didn't so much explode as they slowed time for the non-time travelers (everyone except Cole).

BTW, decent synopsis here on IMDb: imdb.com/title/tt4135892/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

Speaking of:

...In 2015, Railly sits in the hotel bar, vainly waiting for Cole to arrive. She has been there a week and finally decides to check out when Cole stumbles into the hotel...

Railly notes that he heals unusually fast. She also tells him that she has since lost her job due to people thinking her story about him was crazy. Cole tells her that in the future she had worked for the CDC, trying to contain the outbreak....

If she lost her job, that means she never works for the CDC, right? So she never leaves the message? Which means this show is using the multi-verse concept of time travel, right? That's why they call it "splintering," right? Which means there will still be 'verses where most everyone dies, right?

Or...?

Edited by shapeshifter

That was Leeland's watch? Are you sure? I mean, did he take off of his wrist? Or did Leeland just pocket Cassie's watch? (Pun not intended.) The watches didn't so much explode as they slowed time for the non-time travelers (everyone except Cole).

As the two watches begin to wind up to a high pitch, Cole throws Cassie over his shoulder and runs out of the room.  We don't see what Leland does next, but the last thing we see is him standing there mesmerized and/or time-slowed, looking at the two watches. 

Seconds after Cole/Cassie depart the room, there is an explosion severe enough to blow the doors off the room.  Leland then staggers out, fires a few shots, and collapses, obviously injured or at least stunned.  Cole double-taps Leland with his own gun, Cassie is looking pretty good, esp. the southern aspect.

Cole/Cassie discuss the fact that there was no poof, then Cole then finds a watch under some debris near Leland's body and gives it to Cassie.  It could in fact, be one of the two watches that produced the explosion, having been blown out of the room!  If so, it survived the ordeal in pretty good shape, and pounds my theory all to hell.

Oh well, forward to the temporal drawing board.....

• Love 1

It has to be Cassie's watch because past!Cassie wouldn't recognize Leland's watch, she recognized the one Cole scratched as being like the one her father gave her, that she always wears.

And the blast may have damaged the watch, but it will have to be repaired anyhow because it can't be scratched when Cole takes it back to meet Casie the first time.

As for Cassie no longer being a doctor/not joining the CDC, that could sort itself out once the government realizes the threat is real and Cassie isn't actually crazy.

Like others, I'm not sure how sustainable this show is. So long as we have a proper ending, I'm okay with 3-4 seasons of quality over 5-6 of drawn-out nonsense. My current guess is that Season 1 will cover plot points of the movie, but adjusting the past won't fix the bigger problems - Cole will do whatever is needed to stop the plague except (cliffhanger!) he doesn't go poof because the 12 Monkeys have a plan B.

Edited by coppersin

...My current guess is that Season 1 will cover plot points of the movie, but adjusting the past won't fix the bigger problems - Cole will do whatever is needed to stop the plague except (cliffhanger!) he doesn't go poof because the 12 Monkeys have a plan B.

The movie actually ended with

a kind of doomsday cliff hanger,

so there's plenty of room for more story.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

It was an okay start -- but I also feel as if this series will just unravel into a mess as they try to keep extending the premise for multiple seasons.

The other problem is that the show's selling point is the movie -- and the movie is really hard to live up to -- especially if you are just padding things out to fill ten or so episodes. 

But if you've seen the movie, and it's easily available, it becomes an annoying distraction because you keep comparing how things were done movie versus the show (at least it was for our house). 

So why attach the show to the movie, anyway? Why not use the idea but create new characters and circumstances?

I guess I just dread watching the show fizzle out -- because all television shows seem to go on and on and on .. until enough people quit watching and then they get yanked, sometimes in the middle of a cliffhanger..

I don't know if this what Molshoop was referring to, but (spoilers for the book)

Hah, I've actually read the first book in that series!  It was pretty damn good.  I'll have to do interlibrary loan for the rest.

Cole:  I'm from the future, and I know that your experiments will lead to 7 Bn. dead, so I'm going to kill you now to save mankind.  Then because of the changed future, I'll vanish in a poof of smoke.

Leland:  I believe you, crazy-sounding stranger!  So just like that, I'll agree to refrain from completing my experiments into highly profitable technology.  Now you no longer need to kill me!

Cole:  And I believe you, too.  I'm so glad I told you why I was going to kill you, and gave you a chance to change your evil ways on the spot, thus relieving me of the burden of blowing you away.  The fact that I didn't go poof doesn't for an instant make me suspect that you're fibbing, just to save your own neck.....

Im on the floor in tears lmaoooo

That was really good.  I think i'm in.  I'm another one who saw and loved the movie but didn't remember any of it because it was 20 years ago.  For me that's a good thing.  I get to enjoy all of this hopefully spoiler free!

Who the hell lets a time traveler take any kind of clocklike object out of his pocket and mess around with it while you just stand there and look at him? Even if their first thought is "Nah, that can't be a time machine. What is this, the Syfy channel?" it could still be a bomb or something. Maybe it emits a gas that doesn't affect people with strangely altered metabolisms? Do not let the enemy reach into his pocket, take something out, and start playing around with the settings on it!

While I understand the argument, I think in the situation very few people would think to be threatened by two watches being laid on a table.  Once they start sparking, maybe.  But given the character, this guy who is going to dissect the man from the future for his own purposes, I think he would have seen something cool that he hopes he can exploit.  

Too tired to write more but looking forward to the next episode!

• Love 1

I still think he should have told Leland.  Leland had realized that time-travel fishiness was going on, and Leland doesn't strike me as the type of person who wants 7 billion dead.  With 7 billion dead, there's no water, no power, no private jets.  Even if he survived the outbreak, he'd be wiping his butt with a leaf like everyone else.  That's no kind of life for a rich asshole.  That doesn't mean he'd stop his research, but he might take some extra precautions to beef up lab protocols and security.

If I remember correctly, in the movie,

the evil head of the company did end up changing all his security procedures around, just in case his son was actually the cause of a worldwide pandemic. But since his son turned out to be a red-herring, it was all for nothing.

Edited by MrHufflepuff

I'm annoyed that Cassie would tell the cops and everyone about seeing the guy disappear, leading to everyone thinking she's crazy. And I'm mostly annoyed because its so easily fixed! They said the alley the cops had surrounded was a dead end, and no one else saw him. Why not have the cops find her alone and write it up as her faking the whole kidnapping thing completely, because theres no kidnapper and nowhere he could have gone? Then it would explain why everyone called her crazy without her seeming like a total idiot. (I do understand her telling her boyfriend - that's different).