Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Trini

A drama based on Terry Gilliam's 1995 sci-fi adventure begins when a time traveler from the post-apocalyptic future arrives in the year 2015 on a mission to save mankind from a deadly plague that will eventually decimate 93.6% of the human race.

27 years after a virus wipes out most of humanity, scientists send a man (James Cole) back to 2015 to stop the plague from ever happening. Cole's only lead is a virologist (Dr. Cassandra Railly), who knows the dangerous source of the outbreak.

• Love 1

I was worried I wouldn't like this but I love it.   Everything about it just worked for me and I loved the movie. 

I thought the two main characters were great (It will take me a few episodes to learn their names but I love them)  

The idea of him bouncing around in and out of her life is going to drive her insane but it will do interesting things to her life.    

• Love 3

Was the movie really out 20 years ago? No wonder I don't remember it well.  I liked tonight's episode and the characters. His traveling backwards in others timeline reminds me of River Song. I'm in for episode two. 

• Love 2

I was kind of enjoying it for a SyFy show (I don't even know why I watch that koo-koo for crazy Helix), but I got kind of irritated when Leland point blank asked them why they were chasing him and they wouldn't tell him.  Um... maybe the guy is evil and everything, but he probably doesn't actually want to kill 7 billion people (who would drive his limo for him?).  Not that it mattered in the end, but yeah, maybe the time-travelling brain-geniuses could prevent the outbreak by actually turning the research in a different direction.

• Love 14

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I bought the connection between Cole and Cassandra. I'm intrigued to see where the story goes.

Agreed. That was really well done -- count me in.

I like the changes that they made to the movie storyline for the TV adaptation.

<moved the list of differences between the TV show and the movie to a separate thread, so as not spoil people who haven't seen the movie>

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I enjoyed this. Cole's desperation felt real. What did the future scientists do to alter Cole's physiology? I hate that they killed Leland Goines (Željko Ivanek) in the pilot. However, I don't see how this show can be a multi-season series. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this. Cole's desperation felt real. What did the future scientists do to alter Cole's physiology? I hate that they killed Leland Goines (Željko Ivanek) in the pilot. However, I don't see how this show can be a multi-season series. 

from my understanding i think this is suppose to be a miniseries because this show will really get stale if they try to keep it going multiple seasons

The show has a good premise please dont ruin it by dragging it out for 10 seasons . Americans shows don't know how to end while they are still good

• Love 3

Thought it was solid enough as a pilot.  Enjoyed both Cole and Cassandra, but I think I prefer the latter a bit more.  I do hope they aren't going to be separated too much, because I think they are best when they are together.  But, it looks like Cole is going to be bouncing around all over the place, and I'm guessing we'll be checking with the future a good bit, since Kirk Acevodo's character is over there, and he's listed as a regular.  He certainly didn't do much in this episode.

I definitely loved the mini-Nikita reunion, with Aaron Stanford and Noah Bean.  When their characters met, I totally saw Birkoff and Ryan Fletcher again.

But, I'm in.  I mean, I still watch Helix, so my standards are very low.

I agree that it was annoying that they didn't tell Leland what he supposely did.  He seemed like a shady, bad bastard, but it's possible that even he would think killing 7 billion people is a bad thing, and would have changed whatever he did.  Of course, since Cole is still around, it sounds like he might only be part of the problem.  It looks like his daughter is now coming into play.  Not surprised he died since Zeljko Ivanek is a regular on that Madam Security show, and I figured he was only going to be in a small amount of episodes.

Also, why was Robert Wisdom brought out for a minute, just to provide exposition?  Either he will be back, or he was just in town for the day, and wanted to make some extra money.

I liked it too, but what was that comment about Cole being biologically so advanced? In just 27 years?

Actually that's not that surprising -- desperate times tend to produce great leaps in technology.  Look at what happened in World War 2 -- huge improvements in weapons tech (in conjunction with huge budgets to develop those weapons) that would have never have been developed if there wasn't some urgency driving their development.

I agree that it was annoying that they didn't tell Leland what he supposely did.  He seemed like a shady, bad bastard, but it's possible that even he would think killing 7 billion people is a bad thing, and would have changed whatever he did.  Of course, since Cole is still around, it sounds like he might only be part of the problem.

I'm looking at that "rock star" he was showing off at the party, Oliver something, for creating the virus.

• Love 2

...I'm looking at that "rock star" he was showing off at the party, Oliver something, for creating the virus.

It bugged me that Cassandra and Cole seemed to hear his introduction by Goynes and didn't seem to be able to buy a clue.

hey u know everyone hasnt watched the movie :) lol thanks for the spoilers

Kidding, right? Because I'm pretty sure that after 20 years, the statute of limitations runs out on spoilers. Heh.
  • Love 3

It bugged me that Cassandra and Cole seemed to hear his introduction by Goynes and didn't seem to be able to buy a clue.

Kidding, right? Because I'm pretty sure that after 20 years, the statute of limitations runs out on spoilers. Heh.

lol 20 years i was only 3

btw episode 2 is avaiable on comcast/xfinity  on demandand it is greatttttttttt im loving it

Edited by teezy
  • Love 1

I saw the movie ages ago and only vaguely remembered that I liked it (and that Madeleine Stowe used to be able to move her face). I decided to give the show a try because I couldn't resist the Nikita reunion (and Amanda Schull aka Jody from Center Stage guest starred on Nikita in the final season!). I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. They covered a lot of ground in the first episode without being overly exposition-y and they were able to establish both Cole and Cassandra's characters pretty clearly.

One of the things that annoyed me was Cassandra not being a doctor anymore because SHE TOLD EVERYONE that a man from the future kidnapped her and then disappeared before her very eyes. I mean, even if she believed him she had to know how crazy that would sound to the police. Why not just tell them that he said he was from the future and then ran off?

Similarly ITA that it was stupid for Cole not to tell Leland why he was trying to kill him. Even a total nutjob might hesitate to kill 7 billion people. I think/hope that once the shock of what happened the night of the party wears off, Cassandra will realize that the virus guy is the next person to look for.

On a shallow note, I loved the German doctor's glasses.

ETA: IMDB says that the German doctor's name is Jones.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

I saw the movie ages ago and only vaguely remembered that I liked it (and that Madeleine Stowe used to be able to move her face). I decided to give the show a try because I couldn't resist the Nikita reunion (and Amanda Schull aka Jody from Center Stage guest starred on Nikita in the final season!). I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. They covered a lot of ground in the first episode without being overly exposition-y and they were able to establish both Cole and Cassandra's characters pretty clearly.

One of the things that annoyed me was Cassandra not being a doctor anymore because SHE TOLD EVERYONE that a man from the future kidnapped her and then disappeared before her very eyes. I mean, even if she believed him she had to know how crazy that would sound to the police. Why not just tell them that he said he was from the future and then ran off?

Similarly ITA that it was stupid for Cole not to tell Leland why he was trying to kill him. Even a total nutjob might hesitate to kill 7 billion people. I think/hope that once the shock of what happened the night of the party wears off, Cassandra will realize that the virus guy is the next person to look for.

On a shallow note, I loved the German doctors glasses.

I don't think she told them he was from the future i just think she told them he disappeared which still sounds bat shit crazy even with out him being a time traveler from the future. Her ex boyfriend even points this out that he could beleie her story of her kidnapper jsut disappearing into thin ear so i don't think she admitted to the time traveling that probably would have gotten her comitted to an instution or something

I liked both the characters of Cassandra and Cole and their chemistry together. The whole mystery so far hasn't been quite as convincing. These timey wimey shows are tricky to make and I hope the writers has a good handle on it. For example they can't always have Cole create a paradox whenever they are in a sticky situation. That would lower the stakes whenever they are in trouble.

Edited by waving feather

Even a total nut job might hesitate to kill 7 billion people.

I'm currently reading a science fiction series where someone, apparently sane,

decides that killing that many people is a good idea.

I wonder when Leland last checked in on his daughter.

• Love 1

It's been years since I saw the movie and I've forgotten most of it, soooo I wasn't spoiled at all even though I understand the show differs somewhat.

I really like it.

Talk about time travel, some of these actors remind me of people 10-15 years ago.

Cassie looks like a young combination Naomi Watts/Nicole Kidman, Cole looks like a young Fisher Stevens and Jennifer (the one glimpse I caught) looks like a prettier, crazier, young Marcia Gay Harden. At least to me.

• Love 2

I think Cassandra took pause for a moment but then Cole came in ready to shoot up the place and then think it was quickly but in the back of her mind.

• Love 2

I don't think she told them he was from the future i just think she told them he disappeared which still sounds bat shit crazy even with out him being a time traveler from the future. Her ex boyfriend even points this out that he could beleie her story of her kidnapper jsut disappearing into thin ear so i don't think she admitted to the time traveling that probably would have gotten her comitted to an instution or something

I don't know what she told the authorities but she definitely told her boyfriend that Cole was from the future and that he disappeared into thin air, which is why they eventually broke up.

Aaron: Cassie, a man vanished before your eyes. But if a patient said that to you, what diagnosis would you give?

Cassie: I wasn't your patient, Aaron.

Aaron: What did you want me to do?

Cassie: I wanted you to believe me.

Aaron: You know what? I believe that something happened to you that night, Cassie, and I am sorry about that. I am. I do not believe that it was a time traveler.

Heh, I would just like to add that Cassie was a virologist, not a psychiatrist, so she wouldn't have been asked to diagnose a patient who said they saw someone disappear.

If they told Goynes everyting in the first episode and he went "Oh yeah, that project that will make me billions will kill 7 billion people, because some guy from the future says so?   Sure, stop right now, no problem folks."   There wouldn't be a second episode.   Sometimes, characters have to be dumb to have a tv show at all.

Also, if they flat out told him, why would he believe them?   2 people he never met suddenly tell him that his research wll kill off humanity in the future?   When Cassandra already knows that people thinks she is crazy?   Hell, they doubted her before she said "the kidnapped just disappeared" with all her talk of the next plague.   He would just tell her he had heard of her and she needed to get help for her paranoid delusions.

• Love 3

I don't necessarily think that people thought Cassie was simply crazy; Goynes or one of his goons made a comment about how she'd given up her practice (although I don't understand how a clinical virologist would have a practice, that's more of a research field).

I really don't know if I liked the show.  It definitely grabbed my attention in the last few minutes, but I found myself kind of wandering during the meat of the episode.

Also, naming the lead female character Cassandra was just a bit on the nose for me.

• Love 1

Re: Cassandra.  I don't have the exact lines but I got the impression she told the police exactly what happened.  Dude kidnapped her, said he was from the future and then disappeared.  Police officer asked "you mean he ran?"  Cassandra "No I mean he he literally disappeared."   Of course no one believed her.  Every time she told that story less believed believed her and the more she wanted to prove it was true.  The more she wanted to find Cole to prove it was true.  She had a date to wait for.  So she put all her attention and became obsessed with Cole.  Nothing else mattered but Cole.  

When the goons took Cassie and Cole to Leland's lair/lab, one of the guys gave Leland the rundown on both of them. He said, "Someone apparently kidnapped Dr. Railly. [Cole]'s prints match those found at the scene. No ID. Railly said his name was Cole and that he vanished before her eyes. She said he claimed to be from the future." My assumption is all that info came from the police report.

I don't understand how a clinical virologist would have a practice, that's more of a research field

Heh, I just rewatched that scene to get the above quote and it made no sense to me either. Like she was just taking walk-ins with weird viruses? Uh, no.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I liked it. A few hiccups here and there that have already been mentioned but it conveyed a nice sense of being unsettled and confused, something I remember feeling watching the movie. The good Terry Gilliam movies tend to do that to you. I can't believe it's been 20 years!

Considering that Goynes believed that Cole was a time traveler, he might have listened. Or not, he was pretty quick to kill them right away, the reasons for that I missed.

Of course, the longevity of the show is a bit hampered by the fact that as soon as Cole is successful, the show is over. So, we pretty much need to see him fail. Or the writers have to come up with clever enough reasons why he hasn't and is still around. I'm pondering that all his popping back and forth might create its own paradox that might allow him to exist. The problem with time traveling is that it never makes sense but the show needs to be good enough so people overlook it. That's true for any show but it really is increased with time traveling shows.

I do like how time traveling causes its own problems and that it's not easy and rather hard on a person.

I'm surprised how much I like Cole, I never had much interest in Aaron Stanford as an actor before but he's pretty good as far as I can tell at this point. I just hope Kirk Acevedo sticks around. Amanda Schull seems fine and at least she is old enough to be a doctor. She does remind me a lot of Nicole Kidman, I hope that goes away. Nothing against Nocile Kidman, but it takes me out of the show.

I did like that she switched between having her high heels on when she wouldn't have thought to take them off to running barefoot back to having them on when she left the building. This is stuff that bugs me on TV, so I tend to pay attention. They don't need to show me how she takes them off, just make it believable that no one would run in those unless there is no time to take them off.

• Love 2

It bugged me that Cassandra and Cole seemed to hear his introduction by Goynes and didn't seem to be able to buy a clue./quote]

I think Cassandra took pause for a moment but then Cole came in ready to shoot up the place and then think it was quickly but in the back of her mind.

thats exactly what happened she didnt even have time to process it because he pulled that dumb ass stunt trying to kill the guy in front of all those people at the party

Normally, I'd be upset because of the "dumb ass stunt" party killing but when you think about it, it's not actually a bad move. As far as he knew, this is the guy that was going to kill 7 billion people. As soon as he'd kill him, everything would revert and billyuns and billyuns of lives would be saved. Who cares about the party or having enough eps for a full series. Of course, from a plot point of view, it was moronic. Spend a few minutes, gather some intel, figure out that mosquito dude was more likely as a mad scientist...

• Love 2

Normally, I'd be upset because of the "dumb ass stunt" party killing but when you think about it, it's not actually a bad move. As far as he knew, this is the guy that was going to kill 7 billion people. As soon as he'd kill him, everything would revert and billyuns and billyuns of lives would be saved. Who cares about the party or having enough eps for a full series. Of course, from a plot point of view, it was moronic. Spend a few minutes, gather some intel, figure out that mosquito dude was more likely as a mad scientist...

Like my twitter post said when he said it wasn't possible after he finally killed the dude.  It was completely possible.  This is a series not a movie.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

I'm glad to see somebody besides me wasn't a big fan. That hour felt like a not-very-fast-moving two hour pilot.

The original movie, besides being much better acted and directed, was just one movie. They told a story, the movie ended, and they moved on. Everybody liked it, yet nobody wanted a sequel. That's kind of a hint that it's going to be problematic to make a series out of.

The bad guys in this thing are idiots. Who the hell lets a time traveler take any kind of clocklike object out of his pocket and mess around with it while you just stand there and look at him? Even if their first thought is "Nah, that can't be a time machine. What is this, the Syfy channel?" it could still be a bomb or something. Maybe it emits a gas that doesn't affect people with strangely altered metabolisms? Do not let the enemy reach into his pocket, take something out, and start playing around with the settings on it!

Needs more monkeys.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

Y'all liked Fargo right? Well, the film 12 Monkeys also came out in the '90s! http://previously.tv/12-monkeys/should-you-save-the-world-from-12-monkeys/

...I never want to be person who nitpicks a show to death, but...

...but you are. It seemed like the reviewer didn't like the original movie, hates the SyFy channel (likely because it became cool to do so when they loaded up on wrestling and reality shows while canceling fan favorite scripted shows), and so watched this pilot for the sole purpose of finding stuff to hate. Sorry, maybe he did find something he liked? I didn't notice.

I don't know if I will continue watching this, but I did love the movie--which I saw on TV about a decade after it was made--so I'm willing to give it a chance. I've been trying to watch The Librarians, but I keep falling asleep. At least this wasn't that much of a snoozer.

People have compared Amanda Schull/Cassandra Railly to various actresses; she reminds me of a cross between Julie Benz and Emily Bett Rickards/Felicity.

• Love 1

Deciding to kill Goines instead of telling him what happens in the future makes sense to me. Whatever he was working on, he presumably didn't want the world to go to shit. No money or power in that. So something in the project went wrong. He's smart, has an ego, knows the potential dangers and is confident he can avoid them. Even if the evidence points otherwise.

The problem stems from that fact that it was unlikely that Goines (or any other individual) alone was responsible for the plague. If the smartest guy in the field decides not to pursue something, it doesn't mean the second smartest guy won't. But the best (only?) information those in the future had (the tape recording) pointed directly to Goines, so I understand why that was Plan A. And it looks like the show will explore why it didn't work.

My one big complaint is that there was to much Evil Overlord Exposition by Goines. But for that kind of scene, Zeljko Ivanek is definitely the guy you want for the role. I'm still not convinced he's totally dead. I'd be surprised if the show didn't go back to Goines and Cole meeting in 1987 (?) and I'm pretty sure I saw an image of him in a bad wig in the season promo.

• Love 4

...but you are. It seemed like the reviewer didn't like the original movie, hates the SyFy channel (likely because it became cool to do so when they loaded up on wrestling and reality shows while canceling fan favorite scripted shows), and so watched this pilot for the sole purpose of finding stuff to hate. Sorry, maybe he did find something he liked? I didn't notice.

Yeh I am not sure about that review. I am a nitpicker and I wasn't too bothered by any of those things.  Though I didn't understand why Aaron Stanford was always talking like he just ran a race.  I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed that Cole tried to compliment Cassandra by saying she looked like the magazines and then said she looked clean. Cute moment of levity but also liked that for the most part he was laser focused on his job and pretty oblivious to all the rest of it and pretty blaze' about what could happen to him if they accomplish their goal.

And bonus on Zeljko Ivanek -- he was in  "Damages" with Noah Bean.

• Love 2

I agree about that review, it was pretty negative.  I enjoyed the pilot.   I don't normally watch this channel either but I thought this show looked interesting and so far it is.  When does a time travel show make complete sense?  I'm ok with just accepting some of the plot points.

• Love 2

I don't necessarily think that people thought Cassie was simply crazy; Goynes or one of his goons made a comment about how she'd given up her practice (although I don't understand how a clinical virologist would have a practice, that's more of a research field).

I watched the Pilot again and they called her a neurologist, not a virologist.

• Love 1

I didn't see the original movie. It was the "timetravel" theme that caught my attention. I love time travel. Really despise dystopia's though so I'm not looking forward to seeing the future much. The fact that Kirk Acevedo is in it is just icing. One of my favorite tv actors.

I'm so glad to see more responses today as there were only 3 last night after the show. I thought the leads were good & had chemistry. I'm curious to see how many 1 hour stories they can get out of this plot.

I have a question about the watches. Once he put the 2 watches together and they did their interactive thing, why didn't he retrieve them? Or did he? I noticed that he took the watch that was by Goines after he shot Goines, but what about the other watch? And are these watches necessary? Also, what if anything causes him to splinter off/out? Is his time in any moment only allowable for say 15 mintues or does something need to happen for him to beam out? Does he travel via his version of the watch? Or does it happen automatically? I think perhaps he said something about not having a choice to where/when he goes, but I don't remember it clearly.

I didn't mind that they killed Goines. He gave me the creeps on House and I'm not especially interested in seeing his creepy face every week. Sorry to any fans.

• Love 1

I saw the movie once and the only thing I remember is that Brad Pitt surprised me. I really hated him at the time, but he was really good in it. Sort of like Colin Ferral in In Bruges. Wait? He can actually act?

I might have to watch the pilot again. I was pretty distracted throughout it. I expected to hate the doctor, but I like her a lot.

I'm currently reading a science fiction series where someone, apparently sane,

decides that killing that many people is a good idea.

Islands of Stone?

I watched the Pilot again and they called her a neurologist, not a virologist.

SyFy.com describes her as a virologist.  It would be a little odd for a neurologist to be lecturing about an outbreak of whooping cough.

Of course, it's a little odd that a virologist would be lecturing about whooping cough as well, because it's a bacterial disease.

Edited by starri
  • Love 2

I have a question about the watches. Once he put the 2 watches together and they did their interactive thing, why didn't he retrieve them? Or did he? I noticed that he took the watch that was by Goines after he shot Goines, but what about the other watch? And are these watches necessary? Also, what if anything causes him to splinter off/out? Is his time in any moment only allowable for say 15 mintues or does something need to happen for him to beam out? Does he travel via his version of the watch? Or does it happen automatically? I think perhaps he said something about not having a choice to where/when he goes, but I don't remember it clearly.

It looked to me like the thing with the watches is that two objects from different timelines go boom when put together and it destroys the later version. The first one has to stay intact to maintain the timeline. Presumably, this would happen with people too. The time travel has nothing to do with the watch, it was originally just a means for Cole to scratch it and prove his story to Cassie.

• Love 1

I am really surprised how much I loved this! It felt like they took out the Gilliam quirkiness of the movie and swapped it with the Ron Moore style grittiness. I liked Aaron Stanford since X-Men 2. I'm pretty sure the actress who plays Cassie was on Grimm. Kirk Acevedo is a sci-fi treasure. I watched episode 2 online - BIG thumbs up!

• Love 2

SyFy.com describes her as a virologist.  It would be a little odd for a neurologist to be lecturing about an outbreak of whooping cough.

Of course, it's a little odd that a virologist would be lecturing about whooping cough as well, because it's a bacterial disease.

Oh, OK.  I didn't know where the virologist label came from.  I think in 2013 she was a neurologist, but in 2015 she works for the CDC in  some capacity dealing with viruses.

I'm fairly sure the virus killed  7  billion people in the year 2017 so I'm not sure why the reviewer is mentioning those fictional 2 billion because they wouldn't exist. Then again I'm not 100% on that virus timeline and also the reviewer was probably drunk while watching this. After all if you're going to say don't bother explaining time magic to me and complain about story mechanics in the next paragraph credibility is a fast slipping concept.

I didn't love it but it was tolerable and sometimes that's all i ask from my sci fi.

• Love 2

About virologist v. neurologist: Sometimes actors or captioners get technical (or foreign or other) words wrong.

About a virologist lecturing about a bacterial disease: I think she was just using the whooping cough outbreak as an example of how quickly outbreaks of disease could spread.

It looked to me like the thing with the watches is that two objects from different timelines go boom when put together and it destroys the later version. The first one has to stay intact to maintain the timeline. Presumably, this would happen with people too. The time travel has nothing to do with the watch, it was originally just a means for Cole to scratch it and prove his story to Cassie.

He also remarked to her about having to be careful about not encountering himself. I think he said it wasn't known exactly what would happen? Maybe he said it could cause cataclysmatic events beyond himself? Anyone remember exactly?

Man, that actress playing Jennifer is channeling Crazy Ally Sheedy circa Single White Female.

I didn't know where the virologist label came from. I think in 2013 she was a neurologist, but in 2015 she works for the CDC in some capacity dealing with viruses.

She was a virologist in 2013. When she and Cole are at the lab/lair and the goons are telling Goines who they are, they say that Cassie was "a respected virologist" (not a neurologist) who closed her practice in January 2014. She was also giving a lecture on whooping cough in 2013, which a neurologist would not do. In the original 2015 timeline, she began working for the CDC.
  • Love 1

I'm fairly sure the virus killed  7  billion people in the year 2017 so I'm not sure why the reviewer is mentioning those fictional 2 billion because they wouldn't exist. Then again I'm not 100% on that virus timeline and also the reviewer was probably drunk while watching this. After all if you're going to say don't bother explaining time magic to me and complain about story mechanics in the next paragraph credibility is a fast slipping concept.

I didn't love it but it was tolerable and sometimes that's all i ask from my sci fi.

lol that was one of the dumbestr statements in the whole review

i notice this trend in professional reviews avclub, io9, hollywood reporrter bashing shows over keys things they weren't even paying attention to when it was stated on the show

the show clearly takes place in present times in the population right now is not even 2 billion give or take short of being 9 billion so how would there be 2 billion if 7 billion died .  Lol the review was nonsense

Edited by teezy
  • Love 2

She was a virologist in 2013. When she and Cole are at the lab/lair and the goons are telling Goines who they are, they say that Cassie was "a respected virologist" (not a neurologist) who closed her practice in January 2014. She was also giving a lecture on whooping cough in 2013, which a neurologist would not do. In the original 2015 timeline, she began working for the CDC.

My closed captioning said "she was a respected neurologist who closed her practice last January."  An inconsistency, I guess.  But it made more sense to me that she would have had a neurology practice.