Type keyword(s) to search

The Judges: Alyssa, Georgina & Isaac

• Start Topic

I think Isaac is supposed to be the avuncular elder statesman, like Tim or Michael Kors, who we listen to because it's them saying it. Which is ironic, because I'm going to guess Tim and Isaac have drastically different narratives about their respective roles in tanking Liz Claiborne, which ended up with Tim on the street and Isaac on QVC 'curating the brand' for the people who bought his name but declined to buy his services as a fashion designer.

And neither of them, if they want to hang on to any perceived authority, has a choice about doubling down on their choices. In Tim's case, that's olympian pronouncements about The Right Way, and if listening to him gets designers sent home by the judges, he's going to make damn good and sure that designers who incur his waspy wrath (say, Natalia and Swapnil) go home too.  For Isaac, it's being the damn the torpedoes bad boy of fashion, still insisting that there's a moral component to pouring the investors' money down the rathole of his whimsies. 

I guess what I'm saying is that while Isaac's interactions with Anthony Ryan and Sam may come off as flirty, I suspect they're not so much notches on his belt as Grandpa Simpson's onions. In his day, provocative young designers made clothes that didn't flatter women and they liked it that way, and we're not going to examine that, thank you very much, because he is still Isaac Mizrahi and we are still not. 

Exhibit one: Oh look, it's baby bjorn couture...

15BJORN-jumbo.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)

It may be an intern who actually typed the word "groundbreaking" on this one. But no, Isaac. 

Acknowledging there's undoubtedly a market for his current collections. More power to him, and to the women who gravitate toward this aesthetic. But his on-show critiques about "sale rack" fashion and lack of freshness have zero credibility in this context. 

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

I've seen better spring floral stuff than that actually on sale racks -- and bought it. And it was several yearsbago, so the only groundbreaking thing I see about this is that they are making spring florals ugly,mand I' pretty sure that's been done for years, too, although probably not on purpose. Maybe they (he?) are making ugly clothes intentionally.

• Love 3

I'm going way back to season 1,  which I just finished watching via OnDemand. Holy cow! Angela Lindvall was awful. She has the looks and seems nice enough, but her hosting and judging skills are terrible. Not only was she dry and dull, but she had this certain way of dragging out some of her words, which just stretched the dry, dullness out even more. I ended up skipping through most of the non-essential scenes and watched only the runways and the finales.

Sidenote: I'm watching Season 2 now. (Seasons 1 and 2 were the only two I hadn't seen.) Let's see if Carolyn Murphy is any better. 

I sure have a new appreciation for Alyssa! 

• Love 1

I think the part of the problem with the hosts is that their scripts use the sentences that Heidi developed on the original show and they aren't natural to the new hosts. I supposed a good actor could make those words their own, but I think Angela, Carolyn, etc. would have been better if the scripts were adjusted for their way of speaking instead of copying Heidi's.

• Love 2

Why is one of the judges always introduced as "The Beautiful Georgina Chapman"? Did Georgina demand to be introduced that way? It seems so un-genuine when it's said week after week. Yes she is pretty, there's no denying that. But why not "talented", "hard-working", "visionary", or even "brilliant" to describe her. 

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

Why is one of the judges always introduced as "The Beautiful Georgina Chapman"? Did Georgina demand to be introduced that way? It seems so un-genuine when it's said week after week. Yes she is pretty, there's no denying that. But why not "talented", "hard-working", "visionary", or even "brilliant" to describe her. 

After the HUBBY being vilified in the press 24/7, is Georgina even gonna show up for the show? It appears he was demanding his people wear her clothes so she's complicit in their abuse more than likely! ;-(

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, chitowngirl said:

This was filmed way before the Weinstein scandal broke. 

If I were her, I'd ask them to digitally remove me from the season and superimpose someone else to take her place on the panel! This is 2017 and it's quite plausible to do if she has any shame! I'd demand them to take me out this season! ;-)

• Love 2

The end of Marchesa's red carpet reign: not one A-list star at the Golden Globes chooses to wear a design from the fashion label of Harvey Weinstein's estranged wife Georgina Chapman

ETA: From the LA Times:

To be fair, we can’t say with certainty that the label was 100% MIA from Sunday night’s red carpet, only that our eagle-eyed fashion team failed to identify a single Marchesa dress coming across the carpet, and an inquiry emailed to the brand’s PR firm of record has not yet been answered.

Likewise, without additional information, it’d be hard to say exactly why (beyond being linked to the sordid Weinstein scandal in general) no one wore Marchesa to the 75th Golden Globes. (There is a remote — but real — chance that someone might have wanted to borrow a Marchesa dress for the Golden Globes but the label declined to provide one in support of the evening’s message.)

If the Case of the Missing Marchesas has its roots in McGowan’s social-media storm it hardly seems fair to Chapman and Craig. But if it flows from the fact that Weinstein reportedly used his influence as a producer to get the gowns on the red carpet, then it actually seems more than appropriate. Ditto if the reason was to avoid detracting from the evening’s overall message.

Either way, like John Galliano’s high-profile departure from Dior (he was dismissed as creative director in 2011 after a public anti-Semitic rant), it underscores the fragile eco-system of fashion — where clothes can bind together creator and wearer in a way that’s hard to separate without destroying both.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Man I don't what to think of Georgina anymore. I hate that people are blaming her just as much they are Harvey. Remember she didn't do the raping and we don't know what she knew. She might have been on the receiving end of his bullying and threatening behaviour as well. It's not easy in relationships like that, not black and white. She's never looked happy with him. I've never believed that she knew and took part in his predatory ways. Did she know the tactics he used in getting actresses in wearing her dresses? Did she give the go ahead on the aggressive tactics? Did she encourage it? Then that is cruel. Or she thought it's ok it benefits all parties. Maybe Harvey was telling her different stories. 

What is irritating me is that in the 2 episodes I've seen of this season, she's coming across as much more meaner and cold and superior . Earlier seasons she was always the nice one I thought and she came across as lovely and grounded in interviews. Maybe the real her is coming out in ever way now.

• Love 3

I want a definitive confirmation of Georgina's actions, not just assumptions. Like how they brought the house down on Harvey, what have they got on Georgina? The actresses are saying how Harvey made them wear marchesa but aren't saying what Georgina did to them during this time so I'm confused. There's no one in both industries who has come to her defence but haven't outright condemned her either.

Going by social media etc, she's staying away from marchesa and Keren Craig is at the forefront which is wise. I think Georgina needs to tell her story good or bad, tell the truth and redeem yourself. Let us know who you really without the perfect Hollywood trophy wife facade. I read an article today which said marchesa should've made contributions to times up and I agree, Georgina should be actively going against Harvey and side with the victims properly sending a message.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

After how bad Alyssa often is dressed on this how, I demand a challenge for dressing only short and curvy women.

yes, but Alyssa is one of the judges and she apparently doesn't know how to dress a short curvy woman

• Love 6

I don't get the Isaac hate

For me, it's the condescending, ironic-but-not-really "hi kids" at the start of every runway. It makes me want to stab him in the eye with a sewing needle.

And now "hi children" in the most recent episode. THEY ARE FULL GROWN ADULTS YOU MORON!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

And now "hi children" in the most recent episode. THEY ARE FULL GROWN ADULTS YOU MORON!

Well Isaac's no spring chicken! Maybe he's just surreptitiously acknowledging he's old! lol! I don't hate Isaac, but I wasn't happy how he drooled over some Twink a couple years ago in "AS5!" I felt he lost all objectivity judging Sam Donovan, originally from "Under The Gunn!" At times he was the only one that cared for a design made by Sam; esp. when using flats because Isaac loves flats on a model! He was literally save by Isaac a couple times! It got the ire of the other designers and Ken was one who "went off" on the kid calling him "a snake!" ;-)Project-Runway-All-Stars-2016-Spoilers-S

• Love 3

Been researching Georgina. When project runway all stars started I thought she was the nice, sweet judge. Boy have I thought she's been a arrogant bitch this year. She wasn't as bad in this episode but I'm wondering if now this is who she is. Sorry but I don't blame Joshua for wanting to have a go at her. She looks and treats people as if they are even worse than dirt. I was trying to find the positives and understand the Harvey business. I wonder how long she planned to get with Harvey as I found a picture of her hamming away pre plastic surgery at the premiere of cold mountain in 2003! He had a little baby at that time, has she no shame?! And there's no way she didn't know about Harvey because minka Kelly's Harvey story is basically what he offered to Georgina and she took this deal and is paying for it deservedly so. I wonder if coming from her rich upperclass background means it's ok to have no dignity, morals or a soul. I feel bad for her business partner Karen and the employees at marchesa. I think Karen should take them and start her own line. Georgina was always trying to keep her in the background (watch interviews). She benefited from Harvey's bullying and now she's being a coward hiding away not answering anything or telling the truth and taking responsibly. It's telling that no one has come out in the industry to support her. I wish her step kids would reveal all on the wicked stepmother. 

• Love 5

Okay, I'll admit it-I purchased a cardigan from Isaac on QVC.  However, I wore it for the first time yesterday and received so many compliments from my co-workers.  So, I'll give him this-he does understand flattering shapes and prints.  I don't like all of his QVC collection but after the positive responses to the sweater I wore yesterday, I will definitely relook at his collection to see if there's something else that I should order.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I'll admit it-I purchased a cardigan from Isaac on QVC.  However, I wore it for the first time yesterday and received so many compliments from my co-workers.  So, I'll give him this-he does understand flattering shapes and prints.  I don't like all of his QVC collection but after the positive responses to the sweater I wore yesterday, I will definitely relook at his collection to see if there's something else that I should order.

He sold his business, including the QVC stuff, in 2011.  He clearly is still on a work contract for appearances with Xcel Brands, the buyer, and it is probably a lucrative deal, but I would imagine that his only involvement with the actual design/fabrication of the garmets is walking past the office twice a year.  jmo

• Love 1
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Which one did you order? I have a horrible time trying to find sweaters!

• Love 1

I don't know the name of it, but it has 3/4 sleeves (so I can wear it in warmer weather), has a cream background and an abstract large floral (in neutrals).  It has two hooks in the front, so not as form-fitting as a traditional cardigan with buttons.  I'll go to the QVC website and see if I can find it (I'll PM you if I find it).

I realize that many designers don't actually design everything in their various lines.  However, I did receive multiple compliments and am even going to wear it to dinner tonight.

• Love 4

Well if we are confessing.

I own the cardigan everybody hates on the previous page.  Plus a matching dress.  

In yellow.

Shame me all you want.  I now feel a great weight has been lifted and I am finally free.  

If you wish to point and laugh, it's the instagram photo post of the cardigan no one's nana would wear.

Edited by dosodog
  • Love 8
On 2/4/2018 at 5:56 PM, Fiero425 said:

Well Isaac's no spring chicken! Maybe he's just surreptitiously acknowledging he's old! lol! I don't hate Isaac, but I wasn't happy how he drooled over some Twink a couple years ago in "AS5!" I felt he lost all objectivity judging Sam Donovan, originally from "Under The Gunn!" At times he was the only one that cared for a design made by Sam; esp. when using flats because Isaac loves flats on a model! He was literally save by Isaac a couple times! It got the ire of the other designers and Ken was one who "went off" on the kid calling him "a snake!" ;-)Project-Runway-All-Stars-2016-Spoilers-S

Any hotness is negated by the denim jumper.

• Love 3
On 2/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, Fiero425 said:

I kept reading this over and over as “...some twink in ASS!” You know, like ASS! The Musical. 

• Love 2