Type keyword(s) to search

The Judges: Alyssa, Georgina & Isaac

• Start Topic

I watch because I love the concept but much prefer the reg PR with Tim Gunn. To me Isaac is a wanna be - to be a judge supposedly judging high fashion - when the first time I heard of him was the Target campaign - and now he's moved up a step to selling on QVC and Macys - yippee. His collections are drab, cheap and some of the purses are just knock off of styles already seen from other designers like Dooney & Burke. He couldn't last in the real fashion world but is qualified to judge it? Most of the time what the judges love I hate - yes I'm a common woman of the streets - but you seldom see the stars wearing clothing like these judges fawn over - maybe on Gaga but not on the Red Carpet.

For whatever little it's worth, I think Isaac Mizrahi is supposed to be a success d'estime - which is to say, we the proles are too lumpen to understand his wild genius, and corporate suits don't grok the fabulousness of his vision, but they get him on the upper east side. Or whatever. I'm not a fan myself, but he did some impressive stuff back in the day. You can stream Unzipped, the documentary about him back in his glory days, on Netflix.

• Love 2

For whatever little it's worth, I think Isaac Mizrahi is supposed to be a success d'estime - which is to say, we the proles are too lumpen to understand his wild genius, and corporate suits don't grok the fabulousness of his vision, but they get him on the upper east side. Or whatever. I'm not a fan myself, but he did some impressive stuff back in the day. You can stream Unzipped, the documentary about him back in his glory days, on Netflix.

Upper east side?  Nope, he is on QVC now!   And clearly does not know that a moon is a moon neither planet nor star.  

• Love 1

Upper east side?  Nope, he is on QVC now!   And clearly does not know that a moon is a moon neither planet nor star.  

Oh, I don't know. I was just watching The September Issue and someone was talking about the vagaries of the fashion industry and they said that it was important to remember that Isaac Mizrahi failed, so it was possible to fail "even if you do everything right."

I remember Isaac Mizrahi's collections for Chanel. It takes a whole lot of special perspective to refer to them as doing everything right.

Just yesterday out of the corner of my eye I caught Isaac Mizrahi's name so I turned to look at what could possibly be designed by him and make an appearance in a grocery store. It was Kleenex. Who knew I could have been blowing my nose in fashionable tissue all this time?

• Love 2

I just saw the Isaac Kleenex today too!

Did not know that Alyssa Milano was the inspiration for Ariel, The Little Mermaid. I think I am glad I did not know that. How is she qualified to be a judge on this show?

• Love 2

. Or whatever. I'm not a fan myself, but he did some impressive stuff back in the day. You can stream Unzipped, the documentary about him back in his glory days, on Netflix.

Unzipped, imo is a great documentary for anybody who digs fashion and how it's created (Remove that belly ring, Naomi!) You can also find clips of his hit off Broadway show, Les MiZrahi, on you tube. 

I think he's between his second and third acts; he'll likely bust out a stunning collection or two & have a moment again, maybe end up hosting an oddball hybridized make-over show. (Mizrahi giving personal advice while noshing and sketching something for the makeover subject du jour  -- "Don't bite your nails, it's absolutely stubby-making, darling! Anyway, this sketch is very like the one I did for Audrey H. one gorgeous, wintry afternoon in  '88. We were drinking Russian cherry tea and I felt very Zhivago, so I threw a whirl of fabulous deep blue duchesse satin -- the exact blue of an Imperial Easter Egg, that color Faberge loved  --  all around Ms Hepburn's perfectly articulated shoulders and worked it until she looked like a beautiful Nubian sculpture, a Gallic Cleopatra married to a Czar. And she said "Darling Isaac, how lovely!" and we KNEW we HAD  her LOOK!!  -- STOP THAT!! STOP BITING YOUR NAILS! -- Do you WANT to be the fat-clawed, clubby-handed housewife at this ridiculous office party I am designing for?  Do you WANT to be the matronly shiksa with spanakopita in her teeth, who can't pronounce "Perrier", whose husband is cheating with the receptionist -- I heard it's a man, by the by, darling --  IS THAT THE WOMAN I AM SKETCHING FOR? -- NO TEARS! NO TEARS! -- whenever I feel afraid and sad in my tummy, I  think of Michelle Obama and her elegant arms, and me slipping a perfectly designed gold and ruby armband up her long arm and into place -- and EVERYTHING FEELS RIGHT IN THE WORLD AGAIN!") Or maybe that's just on the tv station in my head (alongside "The Nina Diaries" and "M'Kors Untucked: Immortal Longings Come Upon Me, Somebody Hand Me My Lily Pulitzer Shift")

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9

The more I watch this show, the more I wonder if she made it to the end of the series before giving birth. I'm glad no one used the pregnancy as an excuse to keep a woman from working, but every week I wonder if we're going to see someone else host because the baby finally arrived.

• Love 3

Bella I know, me too! I was trying to find out more info and found an interview where she says she was 7 months pregnant when they did the Wicked/couture challenge, and I also found that the baby was born in September.  So maybe she does make it to the end of the show, but man, every time I see her I'm expecting not to see her the following week, or see her go into labor on camera or something.

• Love 1

Bella I know, me too! I was trying to find out more info and found an interview where she says she was 7 months pregnant when they did the Wicked/couture challenge, and I also found that the baby was born in September.  So maybe she does make it to the end of the show, but man, every time I see her I'm expecting not to see her the following week, or see her go into labor on camera or something.

Was it just one baby? There had to be more!

• Love 1

Was it just one baby? There had to be more!

I know!  But yes, just the one and she didn't even look like a very big baby. She was 2 months old in the youngest picture I found of her, and she looked like a pretty normal sized 2 month old.

• Love 1

I know!  But yes, just the one and she didn't even look like a very big baby. She was 2 months old in the youngest picture I found of her, and she looked like a pretty normal sized 2 month old.

She must react strangely to pregnancy. Treats it like an Alien.

• Love 2

I don't know why, but Alyssa's voice soothes me somehow.  Like I want to listen to her right before I go to bed.

I'm oddly finding myself liking her quite a lot on this show (hideous pregnancy fashion aside), which is surprising because I've never cared for her before.  So, in my eyes anyway, this show has definitely rehabbed her image.

• Love 2

I don't know why, but Alyssa's voice soothes me somehow.  Like I want to listen to her right before I go to bed.

I'm oddly finding myself liking her quite a lot on this show (hideous pregnancy fashion aside), which is surprising because I've never cared for her before.  So, in my eyes anyway, this show has definitely rehabbed her image.

I've always kinda liked her as an actress and what little I've seen of her as a person (i.e. in interviews). I like her voice too. I just can't figure out why they keep making her look so bad. I thought she looked a little better this week. She looks so much better in just random candid pictures around the web or on her fan page, even when she was hugely pregnant.

Maybe AM bought into the whole looking taller, i.e slimmer, with those ridiculous hairstyles? Those gigantic buns do her no favors and that semi-Mohawk look is dated and on her, just not good. (Not as ugly as Michelle's by any means, but NOT flattering.) She should stick to the long, soft waves.

I don't get the Isaac hate

Reading "hate" in the standard comment board sense of I don't understand why something which doesn't annoy me annoys you: why Isaac annoys me, by me.

He actually didn't, once upon a time. He's not audacious in a way I find relevant to my interests, but he's audacious, and I give him points for that. I've always thought his posturing was a bit much, but he's largely self-invented, and the person he created for himself doesn't have to be to my taste.

What soured me on him was Anthony Ryan, and specifically the real woman challenge. We were introduced to serving military women, and told that because of their sacrifices the only goal was to make them happy. Anthony Ryan's woman had a large chest she wanted de-emphasized, and she wanted to look young and slim for her fortieth birthday party. He decided to make her a strapless gown. Unfortunately, he had no idea how to construct a bodice for a woman who needed support for her breasts, or judging from his reaction who even had them, so she ended up, humiliated and unhappy, in this:

persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AnthonyRyan210.jpg

He was the clear loser. By a mile. Except that Isaac didn't want Anthony Ryan to go home. So when he failed to convince the other judges that it was "fresh," "chic" and "gorgeous," and that it was _the woman's fault she had the wrong body for the dress_, and that _it isn't a designer's job to make clothes that fit and make the woman wearing his designs look good_ even though that was explicitly the challenge, Isaac threw such a WATB tantrum that they decided not to send anyone home.

I have no idea if Isaac was assigned to throw a rope to the predestined winner, or if Anthony Ryan reminds him of young Isaac, or if he just has a weakness for architectural hair, but Isaac wasn't just wrong, he was a swine about it.

To me, the point of Isaac was supposed to be that he's earned his outrageousness and abrasiveness because of his pure chivalric love for fashion and making women look good (that's certainly what he says on his QVC ads). Unfortunately, I don't believe that's what he cares about any more. I think he's being obnoxious and abrasive capriciously, and for reasons which may or may not have to do with the clothes, and maybe so he has a chance to use some catty mot he has saved up.

To use a Top Chef metaphor, Michael Kors is to Isaac Mizrahi as Jay Rayner is to Toby Young. You don't have to be a huge fan of the former to think the latter is the poor man's version. And frankly, if he doesn't think dressing women in flattering clothes is his primary function, I don't see how his thoughts about clothes inform me.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I actually liked Isaac when he was the mentor on The Fashion Show (PR knock-off hosted by Kelly Rowlands). He was much more likeable when he was moving around and interacting with the designers. On All-Stars he just treats the judge's chair as a throne and sits there throwing out "witty" soundbites. He just comes across as a delusional tool IMO.

Edited by Tony
  • Love 2

I was not sure if my memory was failing me or not, but I thought Tim Gunn had some harsh comments about Isaac, so I searched online and here is one example I found:  http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/gunn-blazing-tv-favorite-fashion-guru-tim-unleashes-serious-dish-article-1.442176

Here's an excerpt from the above link which involves his comments on Isaac: On calling Mizrahi a spoiled snob in his book, he says, "Oh, please, I was so kind to him. I mean, I wouldn’t have the words to describe some of the more abhorrent behavior. He really is a terrible, terrible, terrible person."

Quite interesting that Isaac would be allowed in the Project Runway dynasty.

Here's an excerpt from the above link which involves his comments on Isaac: On calling Mizrahi a spoiled snob in his book, he says, "Oh, please, I was so kind to him. I mean, I wouldn’t have the words to describe some of the more abhorrent behavior. He really is a terrible, terrible, terrible person."

Quite interesting that Isaac would be allowed in the Project Runway dynasty.

ha.. I find this especially funny after seeing Tim's terrible behavior on Under the Gunn. Maybe PR secretly just enjoys having terrible people on the show.

• Love 2

Saw this on Harper's Bazaar -- NYFW Street style -- and thought of all of you!  

Our favourite style maven Zanna Roberts Rossi.

Here she is dressed as the sometimes lover of Waldo from the famed children's books "Where's Waldo".

hbz-street-style-nyfw-2015-day6-26.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

How old is she? (You must read that in an incredulous voice.) Also, I hate to rag on people for their size, whether big or small, but the plunging neckline on her makes her look like she has a possibly terminal illness. That is one of the boniness chests I've seen. (The hat, I think, lends itself to the terminal illness look. It doesn't really go with the rest of the outfit. It goes with a puffy ski jacket or a thick wool coat. It does not go with a dress that exposes that much neck and chest.)

Saw this on Harper's Bazaar -- NYFW Street style -- and thought of all of you!  

Our favourite style maven Zanna Roberts Rossi.

Here she is dressed as the sometimes lover of Waldo from the famed children's books "Where's Waldo".

from the special collections at Land's End Privee

• Love 1

I didn't know where else to put this comment-but, wow, Zanna was horrible at the Oscars.  She was on E! and participated in a round table with Guiliana, Kelly and Khloe.  Zanna's outfit looked like it was intended for a young girl-all that pink and lace.  But, she was just laughing the whole time and didn't really contribute much.  I find it hard to believe that she is considered an expert.  I felt like she was drunk or high the whole time.

• Love 1

Apparently she's a big noise socially - her husband owns one of the big fashion week venues, so they're some sort of golden couple - and I guess they figure we benefit by being exposed to her fabulousness even if she doesn't do much of anything.

• Love 1

I'm not convinced it matters to Heidi whether she's got the best dress or the worst, as long as she's the picture everyone's posting the next day (and she pretty much always is).

• Love 5

Plus, as bad as it was if she actually scrolled down a bit and saw what Kate Capshaw was caught almost dead (going by that poor face) in Klum would know the press picks someone with high visibility to be the worst dressed as well.  She is bigger (in terms of bait click attention) than Spielberg's wife!  And funny enough, nowhere near as poorly dressed.

Definitely not good.  The lines and the asymmetrical sleeve look like something I would see in a bottom three but not an "auf".  But it is also not Klum's worst by any means. 

• Love 1

Plus, as bad as it was if she actually scrolled down a bit and saw what Kate Capshaw was caught almost dead (going by that poor face) in Klum would know the press picks someone with high visibility to be the worst dressed as well.  She is bigger (in terms of bait click attention) than Spielberg's wife!  And funny enough, nowhere near as poorly dressed.

Definitely not good.  The lines and the asymmetrical sleeve look like something I would see in a bottom three but not an "auf".  But it is also not Klum's worst by any means. 

The worst would be that yellow dress she wore to something last year.

• Love 4

I'm not convinced it matters to Heidi whether she's got the best dress or the worst, as long as she's the picture everyone's posting the next day (and she pretty much always is).

Agree 100%.  I think she is punking everyone, sort of like Tyra Banks who stayed on the worst dressed list, or Bjork who also was at home on everyone's worst dressed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sadly, no one wore what I believe was a show-stopping Marchesa (it was red, had a high collar [halter?], billowing skirt) that Brad Whatshisname speculated someone might wear during the E! pregame. It was gorgeous, classic even, and didn't show endless skin - so Heidi wouldn't have been caught dead wearing it. Same with Versace: Heidi picked that yellow insanity when we know the house creates other lovely options. We see them on other people.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
(edited)

But, here's the thing, we sometimes speculate on All Stars and elsewhere why the designers don't see that they have create a mess (in fact, they are rarely anything but enthusiastic about their "look" with one or two exceptions).  But when you see a truly awful gown being trotted out by Versace or Marchesa, it says nothing about Heidi (who happily wears anything) but it does send a message about the high level designer who produced it.  Now I would never be able to afford their garments, but, if I could, I don't think I'd be too interested in someone who makes a gorgeous woman look ridiculous.  Obviously it hasn't hurt their brand so the 1% who can afford them are not bothered by these blips in taste, but it does make me wonder how the judges can really be taken seriously when they ravage one of the designers for doing exactly the same thing Marchesa does (but Marchesa has more money and time and helping hands).  Of course it won't damage the Project Runway brand--that boat sailed away and sank awhile ago--but, for me, it is just an amusement rather than anything else.  I would no more go to a Project Runway series for insight on the fashion industry than I would go to Total Divas to learn about wrestling.  I would, however, go to FaceOff to learn a little something about the process of designing makeup because the judges are experts in their field and even the most inept of their contestants has some knowledge of their craft (and, yes, this season seems particularly weak by FaceOff standards, but still stronger than the AllStars who theoretically should be stronger for their repeated appearances on the show).

And I do think part of the problem is the inconsistent judging and rather arbitrary point system that gives a pass to some poorly conceived costumes for reasons mysterious.

Now in general I do not like Tom Colicchio.  I think he might have helped conceive the Top Chef I loved but I also think he is part of what I don't like now.  And maybe it was all set up for production induced value.  But I till give him credit a few seasons ago when he simply sent a contestant home because his butchering (And I mean that literally in both senses) was horrific and clearly demonstrated even a simple lack of understanding the basics of bones and connective tissue let alone what certain cuts even looked like.  A contestant that bragged about such skills going into the initial challenge.  And did a job that I think even someone who had not butchered professionally could have done a much better job.  Tom stopped the guy and said 'pack your knives".

My point is this show refuses to raise itself up that type of professional level even if it also would induce a viewer reaction that could generate just as much word of mouth buzz as what I suspect they hope the feuding and hissy fits and the forced combinations of conflicting personalities in challenges that barely touch on the actuality of the industry.  And even more, my point is, how does someone like Mitchell send those things down the runway and just not have the show come to a stop, the lights go all the way up on the set and someone simply walks over and touches him lightly and with great sympathy on his hand and say 'oh honey...no'.  And send him on his way?  How many chances does he get when he is not sending fashion down the runway?  He is not sending clothes down the runway.   And even though he is in the bottom, every time he got a pass, the judges were essentially playing the monkeys.  see no crap, hear no stupid excuses for crap and speak about everything but how much crap that crap really is. 

As much as Tom Colicchio bugs me I simply do not think no matter how bad another dish tasted, he would let the travesty that is Mitchell exist on his show just for drama and attention.  Because the equivalent of Mitchell on Top Chef would be for a contestant to continuously serve the judges a slight variation of Green Bean Casserole -- made with canned beans, canned soup and Funions crumbled on the top.

ETA: why won't my spell check let me type hear instead of here every single time without asking me?!

Edited by tenativelyyours
  • Love 5

The last time I saw that pattern was in October in an end of season sale at a surf shop in an unfashionable section of the outer banks in North Carolina. Apparently nobody there needed it. Why do I?

Edited by Julia