Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Jagged Little Tapestry

Cranberry

Well, she had a little insult journal that she read from when Sam came back to McKinley in season 3. So I'm guessing she has that sort of thing for everyone.

How did I forget the insult journal?  Oh my god.  

ETA:  And Santana's last KNOWN occupation was the mall tour with Mercedes and Brittany, which appears to be over?  And which, in any case, would have provided lots of down time for insult researching and writing while traveling...

Edited by tab19
She did admit to trolling Rizzoli and Isles Subtext Blogs, so yeah.

Oh lol, imagine the kind of comments should have been posting on the "That's So Rachel" message boards.  I think that was a missed opportunity in the S6 premiere to have some fake twitter messages from @snix absolutely trashing the show pop up on the screen.

• Love 2

But you're projecting your feelings about how Chris feels.  I'm sure Chris can separate himself from his character.  A lot of fans seems to have difficulty with that.

I don't think anyone is doing that? It was stated several times that noone knows how Chris feels about what Santana/the script said. But we do know he expressed is insecurities about his teeth and voice several times, and that has simply been mentioned here.

And though Chris can certainly seperate himself from his character, he still shares those looks with him.

So, knowing Chris expressed those insecurities about his looks, but regardless of what he feels about this particular episode, it's still a shitty move for the writers to do to their employees, in general to the whole cast and in particular Chris in this instance.

I mean, the stuff she said wasn't that kind of pinpointed "twist the knife, get him right where it hurts" stuff that she used on Finn or Rachel in the past. It was too over the top to be that. I mean, "your strange obsession with old people that causes you to skulk around nursing homes like one of those cats that can smell cancer?" "Maybe he got tired of watching you drape yourself on every piano you happen past to entertain exactly no one with. Say some song that Judy Garland choked on her tongue in the middle of, or some sassy old Broadway standard made famous by dead alcoholic crump?" The dance move "where you pretend to twirl to invisible rainbow-colored ribbons attached to your hips" Lol, whut? I mean, that shit is funny because it's so ridiculous. These are Kurt's deepest darkest insecurities? I think not. I think Kurt is a big boy, and he can and has faced a lot worse than that.

The things you quoted that Santana said would have been fine (although Santana would still be a bully to her friend) if that had been the only things that she said. Even though some of those things apply to Chris as well it's plausible enough to contribute them only to Kurt.

I thought the dance moves jibe was okay because Chris developed those moves especially for Kurt and it's not how he dances himself. And they can indeed be OTT and therefore funny (which is part of the reason why Chris invented them).

I thought the Broadway jibe was stupid, not because it didn't apply to Kurt because it does: Kurt loves Broadway tunes, but because RIB have come to Chris repeatedly to pick his brain for songs (Rose's Turn, As If We Never Said Goodbye, Being Alive), when they were apparently too lazy or not feeling creative enough themselves to do their own work.

But how convenient you left out the stuff that were the most personal and for the most part things Kurt cannot change about himself, like his teeth, his voice, his mouth looking like a cat's ass, the effimiphobic insults, calling him sexless.

It's not necessarily the majority, but there are a few people that seem to believe that it's absolutely terrible to have found Santana's rant funny and I'm not even one that felt this episode was really funny at all.

It's comments like this that make people feel like there's an implication that anyone who enjoyed that rant is homophobic:

The comment you quoted was mine, and it said I was disappointed that so many people in the Glee fandom have apparently become so blasé about those insults, and/or reblogged that scene because it was their fave "slaying" and their OTP's proposal Kurt messed with so "he deserved it", without them being bothered in any way at all how vicious that rant was.

That's not saying I think they're homophobic, effemiphobic or terrible people for doing so, just that I'm disappointed about that. When the Glee fandom at one time used to be about identifying with and defending all underdogs on the show, before the OTP's and ship fandoms took over. Maybe that was naive of me.

Edited by Glorfindel

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I still don't see how this is any different than the constant jokes/insults directed at Rachel, Finn, Sam, etc. that Santana has made. Certainly many of those were insults about things they can't change but usually nobody was up in arms then. Maybe because the show as a whole was funnier then or something, I don't know but still.

• Love 1

still don't see how this is any different than the constant jokes/insults directed at Rachel, Finn, Sam, etc.

.I like beating dead horses

Santana has always been there for the quick putdown or snarky ocassion.   Even Chris himself had her say (though deleted in the final cut) in  the episode he wrote that Kurt was "Martin Luther Queen" and I thought that was funny.

Never liked when Santana is full angry mode with the longer rants.  It's happened on 3 occasions as I recall.  . The rant with Finn in the hallway in Mashup, the smackdown of Rachel in the Funny Girl SL, and now this. Found none of those particularly funny or hilarious, or deserved for how unrelenting they were.

It gets ugly, and whether justified in her anger (the SL  with Rachel, now the Proposal with Kurt objecting) she's ratched it up to another level. on those 3 occasions by going for  the jugular.  It's no longer making wry observation, or being straight up bitch, it's because she's going full time vicious and I definitely think the humor flies out the window.

• Love 5

Did Roderick and Female cheerleader end up singing anything during their Glee assignment ?

Nope. Although, Rachel did make a comment that seemed to imply everyone had their turn and they were all done, but we didn't get to see it. Too bad. I liked the music they were pulling from, it was a good mashup assignment, it was their first time performing an assignment (there were only two other people who would be performing as a team, it's not like the glee club has too many members to spotlight), and another song would have maybe spared us some toxic Becky time. But she had to throw her milkshake on the floor for some poor restaurant employee to clean up. Ha ha. Edited by indeed
So, not to speak for people I don't actually know, but if Chris had an issue with the scene or was personally hurt/offended/angry/(insert emotion of choice) then I don't actually think the crew, who know these actors and are there on set everyday, would be talking about how amazing Naya was in the scene.

Sure, as fans we can object to something that the cast may like or take with stride.  Personally I don't give a rip how Chris thought of the rant.

Maybe I;'m wrong, but I think some are offended by the writing (what else is new) and not  if the actor is personally offended or not.  For example, on the occasion Britanny muttered about the angry Lesbian bloggers per her getting together with Sam, it's irrelevant to me whether Heather Morris and cast and crew thought it was funny and how amazing she delivered the line.

Now I realize some are projecting that Chris could have been offended or uncomfortable, just like some projected Naya with the Ariana Grande song,and in the end I agree they are all professionals and it's a job and they can think outside of what's written.

But as fans I also  don't  buy the premise  we can't object to the writing just because the actors can obviously  "take it".

Never found the funny lines about Brittany mistaking Unique for Mercedes.  Now that was one ocassion where an actor voiced their displeasure (Amber Riley was quite clear) but it's clear she wasn't outraged to leave the set.  Nor with how Mercedes has been portrayed (lazy) on several occasion but it doesn't mean fans can't object to how something is written.

Ceeg, on 19 Jan 2015 - 3:27 PM, said:

I'm not trying to stifle discussion. I just think the pearl-clutching and cherry picking over what one finds offensive enough to have 7 pages of discussion over (and yes, calling Kurt fans "vulnerable"), is a bit much.

I seem to recall 70 pages in another forum about the "angry Lesbian bloggers" quip.  Fans get upset about different things so of course those who are indifferent or nonchalant  about something  it strikes at  "pearl clutching".  Nothing wrong as there are plenty of discussions here that I think are pearl clutching, but hey, whatever floats anyone's boat.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Maybe I;'m wrong, but I think some are offended by the writing (what else is new) and not  if the actor is personally offended or not.  

My post about the crew talking about how great of a scene it was specifically referred to posters being outraged/upset on Chris' behalf and how it was a personal attack against Chris via Brad Falchuk, because Chris was bullied as a child.

I seem to recall 70 pages in another forum about the "angry Lesbian bloggers" quip.  Fans get upset about different things so of course those who are indifferent or nonchalant  about something  it strikes at  "pearl clutching".  Nothing wrong as there are plenty of discussions here that I think are pearl clutching, but hey, whatever floats anyone's boat.

Eh, it's apples and oranges. Santana's rant against Kurt was a character ranting against another character, in a complete nonsensical but in-character way. The "angry lesbian bloggers" line was literally the writers calling out the audience. Brittany didn't call a character in the show an angry lesbian blogger. And, as far as I remember, that was the first time that the Glee writers did something like that.

I think I've been pretty consistent in what I've said on here. I don't care if people didn't like the rant or not. I just think this particular rant has been picked apart and criticized to an inconsistent degree when compared to other similar rants or attacks.

Even Chris himself had her say (though deleted in the final cut) in  the episode he wrote that Kurt was "Martin Luther Queen" and I thought that was funny.

Now I'm honestly confused. How is it acceptable and funny for Kurt to be called a queen, but it's not okay when Santana calls him breathy and feminine?

ETA: This is clearly never going to be resolved, so it all feels rather like a circuitous discussion.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 1

Now I'm honestly confused. How is it acceptable and funny for Kurt to be called a queen, but it's not okay when Santana calls him breathy and feminine?

Because that was in the script for the episode Chris wrote. It's okay for him to decide an insult like that is okay.

It's okay for a group to have a go at themselves (see Blackish for hilarious results) but it's not okay for another group, particularly a privileged one to do this.

What caracas quoted would be just another way for her to say "Lady Hummel", aka one of her casual jabs. It sounded different in the rant because of the length and piling on, and it was meant with intent to really hurt, unlike the Lady Hummels. I think several people already made this distinction. That's why some of her casual jabs flew past me on first watch, but the rant definitely didn't. 

Edited by fakeempress

I think I've been pretty consistent in saying that I don't care if people didn't like the rant or not. I just think this particular rant has been picked apart and criticized to an inconsistent degree when compared to other similar rants or attacks.

I think the rant with Finn, was if anything even MORE picked apart and dissected.  Grant you, that was more because of the context, ie Santana being outed.  The eternal debate on forums whether Santana "pushed" him with her (in some opinions)  gratuitous and unwarranted bashing.  

Now this bash isn't going to have any major repercussion like that one or the Rachel one ,

I mean they frigging share share a wedding in Episode 8

The "angry lesbian bloggers" line was literally the writers calling out the audience.

Some would argue that it was much ado about nothing.  The writers just having fun.

Even Chris himself had her say (though deleted in the final cut) in  the episode he wrote that Kurt was "Martin Luther Queen" and I thought that was funny.

I can't speak for anyone else, but Santana being casually dismissive or snarky with everyone is her thing, even with Kurt.  She has no filter in every day conversation, and the Sam welcome back scene was an example of that.   What annoyed  me about this rant is that it was the whole focal point , the same way the Finn one was, and the Rachel one was.   Angry Santana lashing out (justified or not is in the eye of the beholder, though I agree in this case she had a reason to be pissed) isn't funny, she wants to be hurtful, mean and vindictive.

When Santana got into the fight with Lauren Zizes in Season 2,for the first couple of seconds I thought it was funny, but it went on way too long and Lauren physically overmatching her made me uncomfortable, it no longer felt funny to me.

My post about the crew talking about how great of a scene it was specifically referred to posters being outraged/upset on Chris' behalf and how it was a personal attack against Chris via Brad Falchuk, because Chris was bullied as a child.

I'm not that upset on Chris' behalf, and I doubt many others are. He's a smart man and seems very well capable of dealing with any shit life throws at him, and as said before: we'll probably never know how he feels about this.

You don't have to agree and that's fine, but quite some people think Brad took that rant too far so that it bordered into actor bashing. So if we're now discussing and questioning the feelings and thoughts of anyone working on Glee it shouldn't be Chris Colfer's, nor Joaquin Sedillo's, nor Naya Rivera's, but Brad Falchuk's, who was the one who wrote that rant.

I think you don't get what this is about. It's not about Chris' feelings or what he thinks. It's not even about Chris' fans according to you being over-sensitive and all defensive and upset on Chris' behalf, because that would be belittling their own feelings on what happened, which boils down to having showrunners who constantly say they advocate for LGBTQ and other underdogs' right to be who they are spew such venom towards a gay, effeminate character, and in some extension to his also gay actor.

And yes, it's RIB and Glee so we should expect the worst, but that still doesn't mean that those who still watch Glee or follow blogs about Glee can't have strong feelings about something in an episode and feel the need to express and discuss them.

Eh, it's apples and oranges. Santana's rant against Kurt was a character ranting against another character, in a complete nonsensical but in-character way. The "angry lesbian bloggers" line was literally the writers calling out the audience. Brittany didn't call a character in the show an angry lesbian blogger. And, as far as I remember, that was the first time that the Glee writers did something like that.

And this rant was the writers completely shitting on effeminate gays, and imo that was also in a complete nonsensical but in-character way. It didn't call out a part of the audience directly, but it did almost verbatim copy some lol tags, not just the character ones, but also the actor's, and it basically voiced the view of certain homophobes.

To you that might not feel the same as the "angry lesbian bloggers" line, but to others it did. Replace "effeminate gays" with "black people" and see what shitstorm would happen then.

I think I've been pretty consistent in saying that I don't care if people didn't like the rant or not. I just think this particular rant has been picked apart and criticized to an inconsistent degree when compared to other similar rants or attacks.

It's not like this is the first time something like this happened. I also remember the many pages long discussions on other forums, sometimes about little trivial things, sometimes about other real shitty things the writers wrote into episodes.

And I think people have explained enough by now why they think this particular rant stood out, but just one more time with feeling: Santana's rant in this episode stood out and was jarring because it wasn't in proportion to what Kurt had done, it was very effemiphobic and vicious about a person's features he can't change, it was almost 2 minutes long, and it wasn't mentioned anymore in any way afterwards with noone calling Santana out or otherwise reacting, let alone Kurt.

It also seems to me that a big part of the reason why these discussions get so long is that some people who disagree on a certain subject can't help themselves from  telling other people they shouldn't comment so much and/or get their panties in a bunch over something, but just wait when the roles are reversed.

Edited by Glorfindel

still don't see how this is any different than the constant jokes/insults directed at Rachel, Finn, Sam, etc.

Literally the only difference is that Kurt's gay. That's it.

I was disappointed that so many people in the Glee fandom have apparently become so blasé about those insults, and/or reblogged that scene because it was their fave "slaying" and their OTP's proposal Kurt messed with so "he deserved it", without them being bothered in any way at all how vicious that rant was.

Are people required to be bothered by a comedic rant in order not to be considered homophobic, effemiphobic or terrible people? That's really what it seems like from this comment section. Did Santana's rant make you laugh? HOMOPHOBE.

Uh, no.     Santana's bashing of Finn and Rachel caused quite a stir too.    They're not gay characters, are they?

However having said that , her epic angry long rants were against 3 characters (Rachel, Finn, Kurt) who can take it, it makes no sense against a minor character.

Did Santana's rant make you laugh? HOMOPHOBE.

I didn't find it funny.   So I guess difference of opinion.  It seems that it's not enough to disagree, both side are accusing the other other of all kinds of things...LOL.  Some can find it funny, some don't.  Wow what a revelation on a discussion board.

It seems that it's not enough to disagree, both side are accusing the other other of all kinds of things...LOL.  Some can find it funny, some don't.

The past 7 pages of this thread have mostly been about the rant, and how "dehumanizing" it was, and how homophobic, how effemiphobic, etc. etc. and how "disappointing" it is that some found it funny. There's a heavy implication in that that people who liked the rant are bullies or homophobes themselves. (I don't feel like digging through the thread to find it, but I think someone even said that in so many words.)

The past 7 pages of this thread have mostly been about the rant, and how "dehumanizing" it was, and how homophobic, how effemiphobic, etc. etc. and how "disappointing" it is that some found it funny. There's a heavy implication in that that people who liked the rant are bullies or homophobes themselves. (I don't feel like digging through the thread to find it, but I think someone even said that in so many words.)

Here you go, from Page 5:

And to see that utter homophobic and effemiphobic garbage labelled and interpreted as "Santana slays" and "Kurt got what he deserved" is really showing the true face of not only the writers but also part of the Glee fandom, who think it's funny and even celebrate when one LGBTQ character thoroughly insults the sexuality and appearance of another LGBTQ character, all things the receiving character (and actor) can do nothing about, or not without hiding who he truly is.

But Glee and its fandom care so much about the underdogs and minorities, right?

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 2
There's a heavy implication in that that people who liked the rant are bullies or homophobes themselves

Funny I got a heavy implication that those who didn't like the rant just didn't get things.   I could see how both sides could find the implications from the dissenting opinions a bit dismissive.  Of course generalizing everyone else in any case isn't a good thing I agree.  Again on BOTH sides.

Since I dont' think those that disagree with me are homophobes  I don't  like such a broad assumption ether.

I think alot of it boils down to whether posters like that kind of drawn out putdown or not.  It's a preference either way, and neither side is going to change the others POV obviously.  But it's so much "fun" discussing the differences.  :)

It also seems to me that a big part of the reason why these discussions get so long is that some people who disagree on a certain subject can't help themselves from  telling other people they shouldn't comment so much and/or get their panties in a bunch over something, but just wait when the roles are reversed.

Bingo.   All Glee discussion are in the long run (and short run) much ado about nothing, but it's nice to not be reminded of it to our faces...LOL.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Actually, I don't think those types of comments really start to come out until the discussions get that long from people restating essentially the same things over and over again.

I did like the passersby being all WTF during Santana's rant. I guess no one dares to have such outbursts during the reign of Principal Sylvester. (That student talking to Beiste certainly high-tailed it out of there fast!)

Sue was pretty much nice throughout the entire episode, which is certainly different for a change. Daryl has no idea how bad he could've gotten it.

Edited by indeed

There's a heavy implication in that that people who liked the rant are bullies or homophobes themselves

I have trouble caring about this issue because in universe it apparently had no impact on anyone other than Kurt apologising to Britney afterwards and having a really boring discussion about Blaine.

As for whether it was actor bashing. I have no idea whether Chris cares about anything that happens on Glee as he's probably counting the days till he's free of this tedious show and can move on with the rest of his life.

It's GLEE, nothing really matters for a lot of reasons because there is no consistent characterisation, there are few meaningful consequences to anyone's actions and they're all tiresome individuals who insult each other on a semi regular basis for no apparent reason and are trapped in toxic relationships with their former highschool elective club members. 

What I found more troubling than Kurt and Santana and their toxic friendship was Becky's Story line in this episode.

What was the message they were trying to convey with that crappy SL , that Becky had no qualities a 'generic nice guy' would find appealing other than the possibility that she may be 'taken advantage of' because of having Downs Syndrome?

Becky has never struck me as the vulnerable type what with the constant abuse of peers with her position as Sue's 'best friend' and her apparently high functioning status.

It felt really offensive somehow because they were either trying to say that Becky is a horrible person that noone will love and will only be victimised by predatory males which makes Roz, Sue's, Tina and Quinn's concern confusing as they either don't consider her a fully realised person capable of making her own terrible decisions or they think it's their place to monitor and control her behavior. Does Becky have parents ?

I mean I hate Becky as being yet another tedious character that has had no growth as a person but it seemed weird that her 'best friend' would consider her 'less than' solely due to her condition.

Then again this is the show that had her fire a loaded gun in a school and traumatize dozens of people with no consequences so who knows what they're aiming for with her or her storyline other than trying to be inclusive by trying to tick every box on the diversity check list.

Edited by wayne67
Actually, I don't think those types of comments really start to come out until the discussions get that long from people restating essentially the same things over and over again.

And posters disagreeing essentially restating their own opinion over and over again. 

Works both ways.

ETA: seems a bit inconsistent to say all long discussions on threads is due to just one side of an opinion restated.  Seems most long discussions is because of disagreements on an opinion.

Edited by caracas1914

And posters disagreeing essentially restating their own opinion over and over again.

That's what I meant. Both sides of a discussion talking for pages on end leads to comments like that because nobody is convincing anybody to change their opinions. Works both ways because both sides are people disagreeing.

Who's saying all long discussions? I was just making a general observation based on the original comment. Maybe I read it wrong, but I didn't necessarily completely agree with what contributes generally to making discussions long in the first place, but I will agree it makes them longer.

Edited by indeed

Nope, not true. Kurt being gay only comes into play here because that's part of what he was attacked for, or at least him being an effeminate gay. And to me it matters that those insults were said by another gay character, against their own kind so to speak.

-ETA-

Lol, I just read that Paley Fest is going to throw a party for Glee. Let's see how sanctimoniously RIB will receive the praise for their groundbreaking and positive representation of LGBTQIA+ characters and their storylines.

But back to this episode: had this rant been directed at a POC for being who they are, with the possible bonus of it being said to them by another POC. it would have been just as appaling imo. Or basically if any person was this harshly being attacked for the things about themselves they can't change, which reflects on the character and often the actor too.

Are people required to be bothered by a comedic rant in order not to be considered homophobic, effemiphobic or terrible people? That's really what it seems like from this comment section. Did Santana's rant make you laugh? HOMOPHOBE.

Wow, totally missing the point. I actually said the exact opposite.

Again, no, never said it, never implied it.

To me the rant was dehumanizing, homophobic and effemiphobic, and to be honest I cannot see how that can be interpreted otherwise. But the blame for that falls on the writer who wrote that crap, and also sadly on the character who said it on the show. They are the ones doing the dehumanizing with homophobic and effemiphobic insults, not the fans who thought it funny and saw no problem with it.

I personally didn't find it funny, but hey, whatever floats your boat. But just as people can express here that they are surprised that this seems to be such a big deal for some, I can express being disappointed that this seems to be perfectly okay, totally deserved and even funny for others.

BTW: my comments weren't directed at anyone specificly here on this board, just something I noticed in the fandom in general.

And yes, this discussion is starting to go around in circles, with noone convincing the other side, so let's move on.

I really liked Mason's voice on the duet. Jane's voice is lovely too, but I'm beginning to grow a particular fondness for Mason, who has great comedic timing. And his twin sister was funny too with how she was gesturing to him to sit straight and smile after Kurt's criticism. All these newbies give good reactions in the background imo, and they seem more interesting than the season 4 noobs, if only because their characterisations are actually fresh and not rehashed from the originals.

I liked Kurt playing the piano again, as I surely thought that season 1 canon fact was long forgotten by the writers. And although Chris can't play the piano (or at least couldn't in season 1, and it really showed in the 'I'll Stand By You' scene) this time he seemed more natural and believable when faking it. Maybe he's been practicing for his upcoming movie about Noel Coward, who played the piano well.

Edited by Glorfindel

Just watch the performance of 'So Far Away'. Got it bugs me that Tina and Quinn were wasted on a Becky storyline, this song was wasted on Becky and they cut the performance short. Frankly it was the performance of the season so far and I can't see anything being better.

Also I still think the song makes much more sense for Tina and Quinn's romantic situations than Becky's.

Also someone slap Sue repeatedly please.

• Love 1

The Kurt moping over Blaine is just so annoying and way too much cognitive dissonance.  They show how incompatible they are, then  breakup and now Blaine's with Karofky and Kurt is even now  still pining over him?

Klaine makes Finchel and every other couple look healthy in comparison. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4

The Becky SL was just so creepy and so many issues bubbling below the surface...

And I didn't really care. They have a Down's Syndrome character and I really don't care if the guy is somehow taking advantage of her, or if his intentions aren't 'honourable'. In fact I think he must be a bit shady, because why else would he be with Becky.

The Kurt moping over Blaine is just so annoying and way too much cognitive dissonance.  They show how incompatible they are, then  breakup and now Blaine's with Karofky and Kurt is even now  still pining over him?

Klaine makes Finchel and every other couple look healthy in comparison. 

I don't get how he can be moping about Blaine moving on and getting a boyfriend, and not about getting the boyfriend he did. In fact, how he didn't hightail it out of Lima the moment he saw Blaine with Karofsky, and say to himself, good riddance. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

I don't get how he can be moping about Blaine moving on and getting a boyfriend, and not about getting the boyfriend he did. In fact, how he didn't hightail it out of Lima the moment he saw Blaine with Karofsky, and say to himself, good riddance.

I could get Kurt moping over Blaine, and missing him. But surely after he saw him with Karofsky it should make him more certain about the break up.

I don't understand why the writers are wasting so much time on a storyline for Becky. Why even bring her back? It seems like just another way RIB can wedge in another PSA. In any case I resented/ hated all her scenes.

Did Naya get a butt implant? She really needs to lay off the plastic surgery. I much prefer how she used to look.

I liked the singing in this episode, esp. Mason & Jane, (I shut my eyes during the Klaine scenes);Tina & Quinn (not long enough). Also I was glad Chris got to sing more than he usually is allowed to.

I liked the scene between Brit and Kurt. Hated the Santana rant. It wasn't the least bit funny. At best it was long and boring, at worst it was mean, and disproportionate to what Kurt did. I didn't even feel like it was delivered with any real emotion; it was just one long rant.

The music was the best part of the episode for me anyways.

Edited by Casual Viewing
  • Love 3

Yeah, the story might have been interesting if they did go a bit dark here. Kurt's not the only one who needs counseling. There are so many reasons why they broke up and Blaine had issues, but it doesn't seem like any of that is going to be addressed. Kurt misses what they used to be and Blaine seems to not be able to move past that idyllic version of them as a couple (Warbler/Lima Bean fantasy musical sequence that didn't even attempt to try to make Kurt's hair look like it was back then). Then, mix in the Karofsky baggage and Blaine moving fast in a new relationship that seems to be going smoothly when it was just bump after bump after bump with the two "epic" lovers. So, Kurt still needs convincing to move on. Ugh. But the heart wants what it wants... Double ugh.

ETA: Copied my comments over to the relationship thread.

Edited by indeed

I think this assessment is staggeringly disproportionate to what Kurt did. If what he did was so unforgivably abhorrent some of the other characters would have reacted and Brittany would have as well.

How does that make sense? Glee is a scripted show. The person who wrote Kurt's speech also wrote the reactions for the other characters. So of course they reacted the way the writer wanted them to. 

Once again Glee shows that none of its writers remember anything about college. Dropout Santana declaring airily that she could just go to NYU or Columbia??

I saw a gif set over on Tumblr of Quinn and Tina's "barely an Ivy league school" exchange.  Heh.

Now I'm imagining Quinn and Tina carrying on a school rivalry.  And while such a thing would be horrible and gross and probably misogynistic if RIB actually tried to write it, in my head it fun and light and friendly.  Like, Tina goes back to school and sends Quinn a Brown sweatshirt.  And Quinn emails her all, "Gee, thanks for a shirt from your BARELY AN IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL, TINA."  But she sleeps in the shirt and sends Tina one from Yale.  This of course ends with Quinntina endgame, cuz that's how I roll.

Huh.  A fun new Quinntina headcanon and a lovely duet to go along with it.  This is a whole lot more than I expected to get from RIB this season.

• Love 2

Holy Brittana pandering! Guess it's easy to just go back to basics, specially since they never really seemed to know what to do with them when they were away from each other. Lazy writing is good for that fandom, I guess. At least Brittany is acting more like an actual person, so yay? Oh, and I like that Santana wants to go back to college. I was never on board with her being the one to skip college to try to be famous.

Kurt deserved to be called out by Santana for ruining what was supposed to be a special moment. The rant was just too long and unfunny, though.

I cannot express enough how angry the Beiste storyline made me.

I thought Beiste's story was more compelling before: even though she didn't look like a typical female, even though she didn't have typical female interests, she was no less a woman than any other woman, and should be treated as such.  By making him transgender, it implies that women who look less feminine and aren't interested in female activities are less female than their counterparts.  I don't have a problem with transgender storylines (I loved Unique's); I have a problem with Beiste being transgender.  IMHO, it seems like a disservice to the character and, ironically, an erasure of an interesting story about gender identity when your actions conflict with societal ideals about gender roles.

Basically, this. Butch women are literally invisible in TV/Movies/Pop culture. When people think of butches, they tend to think "ugly", "aggressive"  "gross" "lesbian" "bulldyke" and stuff along those lines. They have no place in media because they are not seen as attractive, specially by men. With Beiste they purposely wanted to turn all of that around: she was butch on the outside but saw herself as just another girl. She was straight. She was one of the sweetest people on the show, so much so that her husband took advantage of her and was abusive.

But apparently it's not enough that women can't be gender nonconforming in media now, so those types of women barely exist. No, now they have to be "men inside". 

Fuck you, Glee.

Dave and Blaine are just weird. And the Max is playing him really weirdly, too. It feels really fake.

Warbler girl needs more screentime. She's so adorable.

Can Kurt stop wearing those hankies around his neck, please?

Kurt and blaine zzzzz

Are Quinn and Puck still together? Eww.

• Love 3

I'm still about 2 years behind in my watching so I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible but I needed to rant about the Beiste storyline and it seems that this was/will be the episode where it starts.  They finally had a unique complex character, a woman who had to deal with being not conventionally attractive yet still attracted to men and still feeling female and they had to go and screw it up by making her transgender.  It just reinforces the stereotype that "masculine" women must want to be men and "feminine" men all want to be women.  I wish there were more characters on television to represent women who don't spend all their time on makeup and clothing, who like to dress for comfort and are interested a sports yet are still straight and like men.  I am so disappointed.

• Love 7

Just to add one more note before I return to watching season 4 (I'm up to Glease).  I was trying to figure out who would be a better character to turn out to be a FTM transman.  It would have to be somebody who always seemed uncomfortable in their own skin but presented as cis-gendered and possibly had trouble with intimate relationships.  The one I came up with was Emma.  Now that would be a more plausible yet fascinating plot twist.

I don't think the writers would've gone there with Emma because she's part of an "endgame" pairing.

Though it could've been interesting and inspiring for Emma to transition and then still end up with Will.

• Love 1