Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Jagged Little Tapestry

Cranberry

Santana can lash into Kurt's character all she wants. His character is down to the writers. She can get all up in that all day long.

The writer using the character of Santana to lash into an actor's looks, to crack the whip at a physical aspect the actor is acutely aware of and has been seen to be sensitive and deprecating about - way, way over the line, That's just fucking mean spirited.

And to anyone here enjoying the hell out of seeing someone mocked and attacked in that way - that's fucking mean spirited too. Period.

• Love 6

I don't disagree with you but most of the characters have been mocked for their looks. Thinking more about it we had to hear Kurt once again was right instead of Rachel. I thought he was out of line with Jane and Mason. No one was berated after performing like that ever when they were in high school. The difference from the beginning between New Directions and Vocal Adrenaline were they had a soul. He was wrong to take his shit with Blaine and project it in critiquing the kids on what Rachel correctly pointed out was their first time performing .

• Love 5

Santana's rant does sort of illustrate a convenient amnesia about Kurt's and Karofsky's history. She could have pointed out that Blaine would rather be with the guy that tormented him in high school than Kurt, but instead we got meta about Colfer's appearance. Any other show and I probably wouldn't think twice about it, but the creators of this show seem so petty and hateful and full of their brilliant greatness that I can't help but side-eye a bit at the viciousness.

Who knows, tho. When you're close to the source (proximity wise) you might take it all differently or even think it's funny. If anything Colfer probably hated most that Kurt just had to stand there and take the rant rather than fighting back. Besides, he can always go back to his trailer and look at a pic of his pay stub and shrug it off. It's not like he's going to need Ryan or Brad to make ends meet in the future.

Edited by Myrna123

Not a bad episode but Beiste's storyline has literally come out of nowhere. I want to keep an open mind but some actual foreshadowing really would've helped make this storyline more plausible.

I think Spencer has a thing for Sam. He seemed a little too eager for Sam to take over as coach.

Santana's insulting Kurt after he kind of ruined the proposal with her and Brittany was pretty funny actually. I also liked that she called out Becky too.

I don't like Becky as a character. It's great that the guy she's dating is genuinely into her but she's still an unpleasant person though.

Sue was probably her best in this episode as well.

Still not really feeling Blaine and Karofsky as a couple. Kurt was fairly annoying this week as well.

Brittany had some great moments in this episode too.

Liked the use of Alanis Morissette and Carole King's music for a mash up. One of the more imaginative ideas as well. Points to the Quinn/Tina and Mason/Jane duets though.

Rachel is actually a pretty decent teacher too. Another good episode for her, 7/10

I haven't watch the episode yet but I read Becky is bitchy to Tina about her weight. Is that right?

I've read Santana's rant to Kurt, and frankly it borders on homophobic, and I'm sure they got the lesbian character to do it so it didn't look homophobic. Could you imagine if Puck had said all that?

I'm convinced that Murphy's teachers bullied him in high school. There's no other explanation for the crappy, incompetent characterizations of pretty much every adult WMHS character except one - the one they're about to toss into a last-minute, nonsensical story.

I am predicting complete and utter disaster for TIIC's telling of Coach Beiste's new story, because it (a) requires more writing talent than they have and (b) screws with the one competent, professional EDUCATOR on the canvas.

Stating the obvious, since this is text on screen: I'm not suggesting a real-life Shannon Beiste shouldn't take the steps necessary to become who she really is inside. But these clowns will take that story, stomp on it, twist it around, tie it in knots, drown it in a sewer, and stomp on it again - and ruin the one credible, caring adult educator character in the bunch. Because that's what they do. It won't be a subtle, compelling story of a person embracing who he really is. It will be a twisted nightmare in the make-up and wardrobe departments for an actor who also seems to be a lovely person in real life.

Rachel is actually a pretty decent teacher too. Another good episode for her

This is actually surprising me as well.   She's surprisingly not bad at it.   It feels kind of weird to see her actually interested in a performance that's not her own.   I mean she use to care about ND as a whole, but I get the impression she's actually fond of Jane, Roderick and the Twins to an extent.    It feels like a much more subdued Rachel Berry.    I kind of miss the grasping, self-involved, somewhat underhanded aspects of the character but it's still the early half of these 13 eps.   

The writers have been taking shots of the actors physical appearances since early season one, I am sure that they are used to it by now.

CM's weight was often mocked by Santana (specifically his stomach and his Moobs), Lea's nose, hands and nobody wants it said they have all the sex appeal of shrek or could only ever play the lead in a broadway production of Willow.    Santana's been getting away with rants like that for years, for once it actually made me laugh.

Glee writers have made a habit of mocking their actors' looks and it's always a low blow no matter who its directed at. 

It was an okay episode. Not a thrill ride by any means, but I do love Carole King and I did like "It's Too Late," the Santana and Brittany mash-up, the Jane/Mason number and the final group number. 

I'm happy the Brittana shippers have finally had their payoff :) 

I only wish Kurt's payoff was realising he's outgrown Blaine and genuinely moving on. He doesn't get the happy ending, poor fucker. Just the dreaded 'kledding' which feels about as what-the-fuck,in the teeth of all that has gone before, as Beiste's sudden desire to be All Man.

The same character who's introduction to the show was so memorably about her struggle to be accepted as a woman despite her appearance and interests. Ironically, the literal opposite of what the writers are shovelling now. It's just painful to watch. God knows, if they wanted to pursue this story, they actually had Alex Newell and Unique and it could have been something as authentic as Glee can manage these days. This just feels...wrong.

I'm usually happy for Kurt to have any screentime or storyline after the painful drought of seasons 4 and 5, but watching him angst over an immature, insecure ball of neediness he's been proven as strongly as Glee proves anything in canon to be unable to stand living with for any period of time, is quite painful to watch.

I think the writing for Rachel, on the other hand, is more sympathetic than it's been for quite some time. I can see that she genuinely does feel chastened and that her confidence has been knocked because her style has always been the brutal truth about performance without any thought to how it hurts. Her baggage is spilling into her style of teaching too but it feels much more authentic than the way Kurt is being written in this.

Personally, I didn't feel Kurt was proved 'right' or Rachel 'wrong' so much as the show acknowledged that they've both been through the wringer in different ways and its had a big impact on both of them, and the scene was both of them realising that and admitting it to one another. Working together, they can find their way. They both gave something in that scene, to reach agreement and move on, which is how real relationships work. It's a healthy thing to do.

Edited to add that I loathe Becky. It's not that I hate the notion of Glee trying to debunk the sort of 'magical innocent' urban myth about Down's, but that in taking is as far as they have, they've made Becky toxic and utterly unlikeable. I feel almost zero sympathy or empathy for her, because when she's in need, she simply comes off as the classic bully who can dish it out but can't take it. It doesn't help that I have a weird little kink in my hearing that means I can miss spoken words at times - I often listen to things via headphones by choice so I can catch dialogue - and I genuinely struggle to understand Lauren Potter. When she's given the slightly softer, more authentic character stuff, she has a sweet and distinctive clarity to her dialogue, but it all slurs into one long sound to my ears when she launches into those rants they give her. I could cheerfully never see Becky on screen again. 

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 6

I don't feel Santana's rant was over the top in the least.  What Kurt did was as self-involved, pathetic, and out of line as it gets.  It was a horrendous move.  Luckily I have known only two people who have turned a moment like that into their moment to make the world about them.  Santana's reaction was not close to as intense the one reaction which had a guy telling his brother off ending with "Get the *&^% out of my house now!"  He did not forgive his brother for months. 

The look on Santana's face after Kurt's comment was perfect because that is the look most people would have in that moment.  I also found it realistic she would make sure a witness is around as she told Kurt off.  As a gay man, I didn't find Santana's comments homophobic.  I found them to be at the level most people would respond after such a horrible moment by Kurt.  As for Kurt not responding, only a monumental idiot would not realize they seriously screwed up.   

Anyways, overall it was a well done episode.  The Santana and Brittany in bed sequence had that sweet deep in love essence.  I sort of like Dave and Blaine together more.  I suppose that will end soon.  The songs were good. 

As for Bieste's transitioning, I will wait and watch before I make a judgment on if the show gets it right or wrong.  They have proven themselves capable of both. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 5
No You Oughta Know?  Really?

I'm thinking they'd have to change more than half the lyrics to sing that song.

And I'm totally shipping Jane and Madison.

Right? Jane looked like she was Cupid-struck right there during the number.

It’s completely unrealistic that a sweet guy like Daryl would be interested in Becky. Not because she has Down Syndrome…but because she’s a raging bitch with no readily apparent redeeming qualities.

He was trying to tell her how to behave. Maybe he'll end up being a good influence on her.

I think Spencer has a thing for Sam. He seemed a little too eager for Sam to take over as coach.

Sam did say he's let Spencer try out for quarterback when Bieste wouldn't.

Still not really feeling Blaine and Karofsky as a couple.

Karofsky seems to be overcompensating, trying to work his way through figuring out his gayness. Truthfully he's probably not ready for a relationship yet. This clearly won't last due to Blaine still loving Kurt, but I hope it's Dave who comes to his senses first and calls this off. I don't want to see Blaine blindside him.

For everyone who thinks that the Bieste transgender storyline is coming out of nowhere and completely destroys previous character development, I have to disagree.

Firstly, when someone comes out as transgender, it always seems to come out of nowhere. Family and friends never seem to see it coming. The pre-announcement struggle is almost always 100% private. Shannon even said to Sam, "it may seem sudden to you, but it's not to me". I'm certain that what we saw in this episode rings very true to a lot of people with trans friends and family members.

As to previous character development, the point most are raising is Shannon's declaration that she is 100% woman, and now she's suddenly a man in a woman's body. In my view, that's not a contradiction. Shannon would have grown up as a biological female who is attracted to males. She looks masculine, so the automatic impression of others is that she is lesbian. She knows she isn't a lesbian (she likes boys) but at the time she was a young woman, no one thought about the possibility of being transgender, so every time she is faced with the assumption she's gay she would deny it, and that denial would become more vehement over time, until what we saw when she was introduced, where the idea that she is "100% woman" is so ingrained in her psyche that it seems a permanent trait.

But at the same time, she's always felt that there was something wrong with her, something she can't identify. A wrongness that can lead to poor self-esteem, which allows for the whole Cooter situation, another storyline that seemed out of character at the time, but that now makes sense. This "feeling wrong" is dysphoria. But as of yet, she has no idea that it is gender dysphoria.

Cut to the arrival of Unique at McKinley. Suddenly Shannon is face-to-face with another option, one she'd never really considered before. She ponders it, and over time and maybe with therapy, she realizes that she really is a he. A man in a woman's body. And to complicate matters, what made it so hard to figure it all out, a gay man in a woman's body. No wonder he liked boys. As Shannon said, "this isn't who I'm going to bed with, it's who I'm going to bed as." Simplified to its most binary options, gender identity (I am a man; I am a woman) is different from sexual orientation (I like boys; I like girls).

Suddenly it all makes sense. Dysphoria evaporates. All that's left now is to change the body to fit the mind.

I don't think the writers planned this. I think they got lucky. I think this is one of the few character arcs they are finishing with that makes sense all the way through.

Edited for corrections.

• Love 5

Kurt screwed up at the proposal but I think it's quite a bit much to call it "horrendous". He didn't say they shouldn't marry, that they aren't suited to each other - it was his mantra about being too young and it was out of concern, not jealousy that they're getting what he isn't. He told that to Rachel too at the time. And he got his comeuppance.

It got a bit much with the mocking of the actor's physical appearance, but it's true they've done it before him and other actors. 

I also still think there's nothing in Beiste's prior characterisation to justify a line "I felt like this my whole life". Before this episode, Beiste's story made the character a poster for "don't judge the book by the cover" about her womanhood. If they hadn't done that, I'd have no problems with her realisation that she has always felt like a he.  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

If anything Colfer probably hated most that Kurt just had to stand there and take the rant rather than fighting back.

That was the worst part in my opinion.  I wish he would have yawned or made a comment about how predictable and tedious her rant was.  He could have even said it proved that she was indeed still too immature to get married. 

That's been done.   Though it makes me realize that I'm sorta impressed that three episodes in and Sam doesn't have his next girlfriend (yet).  It was actually probably a wise move to keep him away from Santana's proposal.

What I find so grating is that all these 'adults' take their verbal abuse lying down.

Rachel just stood there silently as Kurt was being continually insulted. Tina and Quinn listened to Becky call them stupid whores like 20 times in a row as she asked for their help.

I'm not sure if it's the only consistent characterisation for these characters that they're essentially wimps or just lazy writing where noone has to write an argument with 2 sides to it. You think being in the Arts for however many years they'd be better at expressing themselves by now. Guess not.

The moment with Ros felt weird, Sue doesn't seem like the type to require backup to tear apart someone.

I keep thinking of all the times they called Sam Trout Mouth... This show rips into the actors appearance constantly. Last episode it was about how 'tight' the cheerleader outfits were. Speaking of where's Kitty?

I don't think the writers planned this. I think they got lucky. I think this is one of the few character arcs they are finishing with that makes sense all the way through.

Interesting post, Starchild. I don't think I agree that the writers got lucky though, if the overwhelming general reaction is "Wha? Huh?? Beiste is really a man inside?". It wasn't set up at all, hence the "I'm such a girl" comments. It's not good or logical writing when viewers have to use mental gymnastics to justify the internal logic of the storyline (Well, she SAID she was a girl but she was secretly thinking that she wasn't and maybe had low self-esteem because of her dysphoria...). I think the writers pulled this out of their incompetent asses and left it up to the viewers to make sense of it.

And I'm totally shipping Jane and Madison.

Right? Jane looked like she was Cupid-struck right there during the number.

Mason is the boy twin and Madison is the girl twin, right? I thought Jane was making eyes at Mason (and vice versa) during the "Head Over Heels" number.

Edited to add that I loathe Becky. It's not that I hate the notion of Glee trying to debunk the sort of 'magical innocent' urban myth about Down's, but that in taking is as far as they have, they've made Becky toxic and utterly unlikeable. I feel almost zero sympathy or empathy for her, because when she's in need, she simply comes off as the classic bully who can dish it out but can't take it. It doesn't help that I have a weird little kink in my hearing that means I can miss spoken words at times - I often listen to things via headphones by choice so I can catch dialogue - and I genuinely struggle to understand Lauren Potter. When she's given the slightly softer, more authentic character stuff, she has a sweet and distinctive clarity to her dialogue, but it all slurs into one long sound to my ears when she launches into those rants they give her. I could cheerfully never see Becky on screen again. 

I have always felt the the Becky character has done a horrible disservice to Downs kids and adults.  I'm sure that for an actress like Lauren Potter roles are not plentiful but I've wondered about why Lauren and her family or representatives would allow the Glee writers to create a character with Downs who, as the seasons have rolled by, has become so toxic as to have virtually no redeeming qualities.  The biggest mistake was to have Becky become Sue's "apprentice" where she seemed to have nothing resembling a positive role model.  It was made more incredulous by the fact that Sue's sister also had Down's and she should have had far more insight into that than was portrayed. Like so many other sensitive subjects RLM and his minions made a complete mess of the Down's story line.  Between this and Parenthood's abysmal handling of Asperger's I'm surprised that there hasn't been more howling from the medical and psychology communities. It would be more than justified.

• Love 1

Glee seems to be torturing me by having the characters I dislike the most doing the best. Becky is a horrible person who is mean to everyone around her and shot a gun at school. She gets a boyfriend who adores her. Santana is incredibly insulting to anyone who isn't Brittany (Kurt should have expressed his concerns privately, but I don't think he was out of line to express concerns) and yet all the other characters adore her and she's in the most stable relationship.

• Love 1

That was the worst part in my opinion.  I wish he would have yawned or made a comment about how predictable and tedious her rant was.  He could have even said it proved that she was indeed still too immature to get married. 

That's been done.   Though it makes me realize that I'm sorta impressed that three episodes in and Sam doesn't have his next girlfriend (yet).  It was actually probably a wise move to keep him away from Santana's proposal.

There is no defense of what Kurt did.  It was loathsome.  For him to respond in any other way besides listening would have made his appalling behavior even more horrendous. 

As for Rachel not saying anything, she is not a complete idiot.  She is aware what Kurt did was awful and that Santana was justified to be extremely upset.  There are moments where there is nothing that can be said except for Kurt to apologize profusely and say what he did was reprehensible. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

I'm glad others don't like the Becky story--I thought I was a horrible person for disliking the mentally challenged little girl.  But, it is almost impossible to like her with the nasty way she's being written.  I have a friend who calls after every episode to discuss it, and he thinks she's great (of course, he was drinking last night so that might explain it).  And I, too, have a hard time understanding her when she's given a bunch of lines all at once, which may be partly due to my crappy hearing, so I may have to use closed captioning when this show is on.

Didn't Coach Biest get married in one show?  Or am I thinking of someone else?  It seems like she dated another teacher, maybe? I think a cancer story would have been more touching; it just seems so easy to go with this gender thing with such a big, burly woman.  But what do I know?

I don't think that anyone is arguing that Kurt wasn't out of line with what he said, but let's be real here... this is not a group that keeps quiet about chiming in on one another's relationships. People certainly have been giving plenty of opinion about Rachel planning to marry Finn. That's the joy of friends and families - they're going to have opinions over your choices. And Santana did take a gamble that no one would say anything during a public proposal. Still, Kurt was wrong and he did deserve to have Santana tell him that.

What he did not deserve was being told that he had a mouth like a cat's ass, that he looked like he took his dentures out, that Blaine left him for all these pathetic reasons she compiled (when Kurt was the one who broke things off) or that he parades his relationship as an icon for LGBT rights (that was Blaine with his desire to make a political statement with his proposal). As out of line as Kurt was Santana was even more so.

• Love 7

Interesting post, Starchild. I don't think I agree that the writers got lucky though, if the overwhelming general reaction is "Wha? Huh?? Beiste is really a man inside?". It wasn't set up at all, hence the "I'm such a girl" comments. It's not good or logical writing when viewers have to use mental gymnastics to justify the internal logic of the storyline (Well, she SAID she was a girl but she was secretly thinking that she wasn't and maybe had low self-esteem because of her dysphoria...). I think the writers pulled this out of their incompetent asses and left it up to the viewers to make sense of it.

Mason is the boy twin and Madison is the girl twin, right? I thought Jane was making eyes at Mason (and vice versa) during the "Head Over Heels" number.

I can't remember their names yet. I did mean the person she was singing with.

As to viewers sometimes having to figure things out on their own, that's usually something that writers are praised for, as opposed to spoon-feeding the audience. As long as all the pieces fit together it shouldn't be too hard. That's why I think the writers are lucky in this instance. IMO the pieces do fit together, and I think in this case that's in spite of the writers, rather than because of them.

I don't think that anyone is arguing that Kurt wasn't out of line with what he said, but let's be real here... this is not a group that keeps quiet about chiming in on one another's relationships. People certainly have been giving plenty of opinion about Rachel planning to marry Finn. That's the joy of friends and families - they're going to have opinions over your choices. And Santana did take a gamble that no one would say anything during a public proposal. Still, Kurt was wrong and he did deserve to have Santana tell him that.

What he did not deserve was being told that he had a mouth like a cat's ass, that he looked like he took his dentures out, that Blaine left him for all these pathetic reasons she compiled (when Kurt was the one who broke things off) or that he parades his relationship as an icon for LGBT rights (that was Blaine with his desire to make a political statement with his proposal). As out of line as Kurt was Santana was even more so.

Base on how many people openly and loudly, Kurt including, responded negatively to the Finchel engagement. The only reason they didn't get the same treatment from Kurt or the others is because Finn did it privately. So Finchel got to enjoy their moments without any negative statement. 

I still think Kurt was totally wrong but I'm with those who thought Santana went over-board in her insult. It's wasn't funny or entertaining to me.

• Love 2

The main reason it wasn't entertaining was because her rant had little to do with kurt's reaction and instead was the writers using yet another santana rant to dump a whole lot of meta in short order. It was entertaining the first few times they used santana in that capacity. Not so much the the 2657 time in.

• Love 6

I still think Kurt was totally wrong but I'm with those who thought Santana went over-board in her insult.

Maybe but at least he cared enough to be honest.  I'm not sure it was worse than Santana calling Becky toxic to her face in front of others.   It basically came from the same place.  And sure Kurt was projecting his issues, but Santana calling someone else toxic is also rather rich in my book.

Edited by vb68

Also, Kurt was a giant ass and he was rightly called out by Santana, but they should have cut that rant in half at least.

Assuming that will be the last great Santana Lopez rant of the series, I didn't mind the length. I think the fact that it was going on and on was supposed to add to the humor of it (and Kurt kind of like 'is she done yet' more than being upset with what she was actually saying). I did think maybe Santana was thinking of someone else when she mentioned Kurt never passing up a piano or an opportunity to sing. That sounded like someone else from the show... But she was right about his dance moves.

that he parades his relationship as an icon for LGBT rights (that was Blaine with his desire to make a political statement with his proposal)

Yeah, that seemed more like Blaine, too. I remember Blaine making a few comments that fit this description. I guess a some of Santana's observations about Kurt happened off-screen. That explains it... Edited by indeed

Maybe but at least he cared enough to be honest.  I'm not sure it was worse than Santana calling Becky toxic to her face in front of others.   It basically came from the same place.  And sure Kurt was projecting his issues, but Santana calling someone else toxic is also rather rich in my book.

To be fair to Santana she does have her redeeming moments like breaking Rachel out of funk no 99 or having a complicated but strong love of Britney whereas Becky started the episode calling people stupid whores before asking for their help. It would have been so gratifying if they just said "NO THANKS we don't do favors for people who insult us as a hello."

As for Kurt, I'm not sure he was poo pooing their engagement because he cares about Santana and Britney's prospects but because he was still emo about Blaine. He also ignored the fact that Blaine proposed while they were seperated and that Santana and Britney's relationship is completely different to his and Blaines. Also Santana proposed when she was 19? when Blaine proposed when he was still in highschool so there's miles of maturity between them.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

As for Kurt, I'm not sure he was poo pooing their engagement because he cares about Santana and Britney's prospects but because he was still emo about Blaine.

I think it's both.  There's no doubt in my mind that he cares about them and their future happiness.  But I can agree to disagree on that.

Edited by vb68

There is no defense of what Kurt did.  It was loathsome.  For him to respond in any other way besides listening would have made his appalling behavior even more horrendous. 

As for Rachel not saying anything, she is not a complete idiot.  She is aware what Kurt did was awful and that Santana was justified to be extremely upset.  There are moments where there is nothing that can be said except for Kurt to apologize profusely and say what he did was reprehensible.

I think this assessment is staggeringly disproportionate to what Kurt did. If what he did was so unforgivably abhorrent some of the other characters would have reacted and Brittany would have as well. She was kind and as understanding as she's capable in their next scene. She didn't even seem to want or expect an apology.

• Love 3

Becky insulted people before during, and, after asking them for help. She doesn't seem to learn that her behavior is bad--even now in college and with a boyfriend. Daryl seemed to find her antics cute and funny. She obviously can be nice, but chooses not to be. So, are we done with Becky yet? Please?

• Love 8

Base on how many people openly and loudly, Kurt including, responded negatively to the Finchel engagement. The only reason they didn't get the same treatment from Kurt or the others is because Finn did it privately. So Finchel got to enjoy their moments without any negative statement. 

I still think Kurt was totally wrong but I'm with those who thought Santana went over-board in her insult. It's wasn't funny or entertaining to me.

Yeah. And since when has Santana herself not rained on people's parades, in public no less. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 4

Of course he does.  Every gay guy wants Sam.  Remember how much he c*ck-teased Blaine? "He wants to do me."  Spencer is going to use Sam every which way but loose.

Re: "Sam sniffing jockstraps," in every high school locker room, the Ass. Coach must always sniff every jockstrap before he irons them.  Otherwise he runs the risk of ironing a not-clean jock.  The horror.

I thought Beiste's story was more compelling before: even though she didn't look like a typical female, even though she didn't have typical female interests, she was no less a woman than any other woman, and should be treated as such.  By making him transgender, it implies that women who look less feminine and aren't interested in female activities are less female than their counterparts.  I don't have a problem with transgender storylines (I loved Unique's); I have a problem with Beiste being transgender.  IMHO, it seems like a disservice to the character and, ironically, an erasure of an interesting story about gender identity when your actions conflict with societal ideals about gender roles.

The one thing I will give the writers credit for is acknowledging that Beiste is still attracted to men in spite of identifying as male.  It rightfully shows that gender identity and sexual orientation have nothing to do with each other, and remaining as a woman because it fits with societal expectations won't work because it doesn't match how you feel.  If this was anyone else other than Beiste (who already had an interesting gender identity story going on), it would be interesting to watch.  I also have a feeling that after Beiste's transition is complete, they are going to pair him with Karofsky.

The Becky character has the same problem the Brittany character usually has (though not in this episode mostly).  The writers preach that they should be treated like everyone else, yet they are allowed to say hurtful things and/ or react violently, and neither the other characters nor the audiences are supposed to how them accountable because she has Down syndrome/ she's too naïve to understand what she's doing.  They can't have it both ways.  There's no way anybody would associate with someone who called them a slut or a whore unprovoked, let along help them.  There's no way a person would just laugh off their partner's violent tendencies, unless they're just as psychotic as their partner is.  Also, as someone mentioned before, Sue shouldn't have needed a PSA about people with Down syndrome having normal romantic lives.

I hate Santana's rants, but at least this one had a source.  Kurt didn't have to voice his objections right then and there, and it nearly killed the moment.  Santana shouldn't have insulted Kurt's looks or attacked things that he was insecure about; as awful as that is, it's Santana's go-to method for handling anything.  I am still haunted by her attack on Finn in season 3, but that one was completely unprovoked.  This one was somewhat provoked, so, progress?

I liked Jane and Mason's duet, and I totally ship them now.  I think their story is going to the opposite of Kurt and Mercedes from season 1: rather than the girl crushing on the boy and finding out he's gay, the girl is going to try to avoid crushing on a gay guy, only to discover that he's straight and likes her as well.

Spencer hiding in the laundry was funny, as what Madison miming to Mason to straighten his shoulders, and his doing a show choir smile in return. 

Finally, currently New Directions has 4 of the requisite 12 members.  More than likely, Spencer and Kitty are joining, pushing it up to 6.  I have a feeling, unless the actors are busy, that they are going to bring back the old newbies to fill the ranks.  So Marley, Jake, Ryder, and Unique will push it up to 10.  That means they will need two more people.  Some possibilities: 

Sugar

Joe

Dottie

Lauren

Brett

Neck Brace

Randomly created extras specifically to fill the ranks

I've never enjoyed any of Santana's smack downs because I don't find meanness funny. I am not surprised the writers took shots at Chris. It's so petty though. There are many aspects of Kurt's character that weren't physical in nature that she could have ripped on. Many. They took the easy way out imo.

It's funny how the spoilers are playing out. We got them so far ahead of time and without context or a screeners opinions and details to go on. We were so sure Kurt wasn't going to be focused on, but Blaine seems to be the one who's feelings aren't being focused on, especially about Dave. Many thought Darren would just do as written and act all puppy dog in love with Dave, but he's not. He seems uncomfortable to me. And I still don't understand why they chose Dave? If no one is going to make any reference to their histories (aside from Dave at that first meeting), what is the point of them not just casting some random dude for Blaine to be dating?

• Love 2

I don't think the writers planned this [beiste's transgender storyline]. I think they got lucky. 

I will second Starchild's excellent post about transgender people and their journeys, and say that just because the audience didn't see it happening does NOT mean it's not a legitimate character development. I think it's particularly true with the older generations - like Beiste - because transgender awareness has increased dramatically in the last few years, and some people come to it late in life.  That being said:  I agree that there's no way Glee planned this.  To me, they're just taking advantage of Dot's past role playing a trans man and doing it entirely for publicity.  Certainly it's no worse than many Glee ridiculous plot lines, so I just hope they handle it well.  (Honestly, all these kids 'teaching' is more patently ridiculous)

The Becky thing bugs me because I don't see why anybody would want to be around her, not due to her disability, but because she's a mean person. I get what the show is trying to do, she has Downs Syndrome and yet she's just like everyone else and can say mean things/be funny, but.. it's not that funny when she's just yelling at people and hitting them. Artie for instance is the only time Glee sort of got it right, Artie is in a wheelchair and yet he can sometimes say mean things/hurt people, do crappy things but.. I mean, Becky is activity looking for ways to hurt people or call them names. Thats how she says hello. There's a disconnect there with what they want to portray, I think.

THIS.  It's totally fine to want Becky to get outside the stereotype, but I think Becky's gone too far in the other direction.  Who would want to help someone who had never, ever, been nice to them?

One last thought on the Santana rant: I almost thought Kurt seemed bored while listening! I mean, we know from the first two episodes that Colfer is certainly capable of displaying angst if he wants, and instead I saw resignation and occasional indignation.  It's not hard to imagine that during the time they lived together, Kurt was on the receiving end of a rant or two from Santana, and they have learned to work their shit out. 

To be honest, I thought Santana's rant against Rachel in 100/101 was worse, because it made Rachel cry.  Going by character reactions, this one clearly did not have that impact on Kurt, again, since he did not seem torn down - just resigned/irritated.  But it didn't seem like he felt Santana was delivering painful truths.

• Love 1

I don't think it's the case that we didn't 'see the journey' happening with Bieste. I think it's that Glee went out of its way to show almost the polar opposite story with her. If they had even gone with Bieste (retrospectively) telling us she was asserting her femininity to try to resist this body dysphoria, it could have made sense. But it is what it is. The person whose struggle has been often so specifically about asserting her femininity and her struggle to be accepted as a woman now always wanted to be a man. I can't help but call bullshit on the writing of that. Even by Glee standards, it's piss poor.

• Love 17

Glee is a mess. It's been a mess for several seasons. I gave up on expecting consistent characterizations or coherent storylines eons ago, and I certainly no longer bother analyzing whether Character A's behavior is reasonable or Character B's outburst was justified, because everything at its core is terrible and if the series ended by revealing that everything after the pilot episode was all part of Mr. Schue's fevered dreams after hearing Finn sing in the shower, it'd make more sense than the past two seasons have.

I'm watching the show because it's like watching a trainwreck. So was Santana's rant to Kurt justified? Meh. I don't care. I don't care about Santana as a character. I don't care about Kurt as a character. Don't think that either of those two characters are the saving graces of the show that their fans think they are (or ruination, if you're a detractor). I just thought the rant was funny. 

Edited by galax-arena

I think this assessment is staggeringly disproportionate to what Kurt did. If what he did was so unforgivably abhorrent some of the other characters would have reacted and Brittany would have as well. She was kind and as understanding as she's capable in their next scene. She didn't even seem to want or expect an apology.

It is not at all.  It was an "abhorrent" act.  Actually there are two ways for people to act in that moment and everyone chose the right one when Kurt did what he did.  Tina quickly put it down but everyone rushed to Brittany and Santana acting as if Kurt had not said something.  Now in real life, of course Rachel or someone else close to Kurt would have gone up to him and said lets talk outside to get him out of there.

There is no defending Kurt's actions.  Kurt's behavior was despicable and everyone knew it.  Rachel did too.  And most people in Santana's place would have been far, far more upset and shown it. 

I like Kurt.  Him and Blaine are important television characters.  I did not have see much representation growing up and often our representation was weak.   So I am thankful for characters like Kurt and Blaine.  But Kurt is an immature person and I can't defend his behavior.  Hopefully this is the point he grows up once and for all. 

Edited by dohe

Nobody is defending Kurt's actions. People are saying your choice of adjectives is incommensurate with what was presented on screen. I'd say they're more applicable if he started a genocide.  

Kurt literally said only this: "I'm sorry, I just have to speak now or forever hold my peace. Did you learn nothing from me and Blaine? We're too young to get married, all of us."

Yeah, abhorrent and despicable to be concerned about your friends possibly making the same mistake as you. Totally horrendous. 

As for the rant, I'm reminded that Santana wasn't in the least bit considerate opening her big mouth in front of Adam how Kurt hooked up with Blaine at the wedding, and just for the fun of it.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 5

It is not at all.  It was an "abhorrent" act.  Actually there are two ways for people to act in that moment and everyone chose the right one when Kurt did what he did.  Tina quickly put it down but everyone rushed to Brittany and Santana acting as if Kurt had not said something.  Now in real life, of course Rachel or someone else close to Kurt would have gone up to him and said lets talk outside to get him out of there.

There is no defending Kurt's actions.  Kurt's behavior was despicable and everyone knew it.  Rachel did too.  And most people in Santana's place would have been far, far more upset and shown it.

Actually there are an infinity ways to react to that moment. I certainly disagree that what Kurt did was anything that will be remembered by Santana by the time she got to her car after her rant.

As for the rant, I'm reminded that Santana wasn't in the least bit considerate opening her big mouth in front of Adam how Kurt hooked up with Blaine at the wedding, and just for the fun of it.

That's a thing Kurt did, it's not his looks. Santana went on and on about things Kurt mostly can't control that are part of who he is. I'm okay with her calling him on his actual shit, but this wasn't that.

That's a thing Kurt did, it's not his looks. Santana went on and on about things Kurt mostly can't control that are part of who he is. I'm okay with her calling him on his actual shit, but this wasn't that.

It was an association about how Santana can be, not that it is the exact same thing. It wasn't Santana's place to call Kurt on his shit with Blaine specifically in front of Adam even if he was wrong - which apparently he wasn't that much because he wasn't dating him exclusively, she was mostly stirring shit up. But now yes, she ranted about things unrelated to what he did.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

Nobody is defending Kurt's actions. People are saying your choice of adjectives is incommensurate with what was presented on screen. I'd say they're more applicable if he started a genocide.  

Kurt literally said only this: "I'm sorry, I just have to speak now or forever hold my peace. Did you learn nothing from me and Blaine? We're too young to get married, all of us."

Yeah, abhorrent and despicable to be concerned about your friends possibly making the same mistake as you. Totally horrendous. 

Actually it is a form of defense that is commonly used in which the actions of one person are minimized while another person's actions are held under a microscope.  It is also a form of defense to bring up an event from episodes ago which I certainly condemned Santana for doing.  This is about tonight's actions. 

The Kurt made a minor boo boo but he didn't mean harm/Santana was way over the top and should have been soft and tender maybe saying "Kurt, that wasn't the nicest thing you've done." is amusing but doesn't reflect any sort of reality.  You mock someone's wedding proposal in front of them is not a minor event.  It was a disgusting, loathsome act by Kurt.  And the notion that Rachel would defend him while he was getting insulted is farfetched.  Rachel's face when Kurt decided to piss on Brittany and Santana's moment said it all.  She had a horrified look of what the hell are you doing Kurt! on her. 

I have been tough on several characters through the years.  That includes Santana many times.  It happens that tonight one of my favorite characters Kurt was the one who did something abhorrent.  Just because I like him I am not giving him a pass or trying to make the focus Santana's speech.  I don't think the character of Kurt is done any favors when we excuse such behavior.  And yes making the focus Santana's insults and not what Kurt did is minimizing the actions of Kurt.   

Edited by dohe

It was wrong but I don't agree it went as far as to be called disgusting, loathsome, abhorrent.  I generally save those terms for actual crimes (felonies at that) versus someone not keeping their mouth shut when they should have.  

As for the rant, as I said it is hard to connect it to what Kurt said because it really wasn't.  It was the writers wanting to use Santana yet again for a meta rant and using Kurt's self-centered reaction to the engagement to tee it up.    For as connected as what she said was to the actual events it could have just as easily been Kurt getting the last Diet Coke out of the vending machine when Santana was jonesing for a caffeine fix.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 8

The Kurt made a minor boo boo but he didn't mean harm/Santana was way over the top and should have been soft and tender maybe saying "Kurt, that was the nicest thing you've done." is amusing but does not reflect any sort of reality.

It's also amusing how this totally doesn't reflect the reality of what I said. 

Edited by fakeempress

It was wrong but I don't agree it went as far as to be called disgusting, loathsome, abhorrent.  I generally save those terms for actual crimes (felonies at that) versus someone not keeping their mouth shut when they should have.  

As for the rant as I said it is hard to really connect it to what Kurt said because it really wasn't.  It was the writers wanting to use Santana yet again for a meta rant and using Kurt's wrong reaction to the engagement to tee it up.    For as connected as what she said was the actual events it could have just as easily been Kurt getting the last Diet Coke out of the vending machine when Santana was jonesing for a caffeine fix.

While some of it didn't, actually much of the rant concerned Kurt's heightened self-involvement, the belief that every situation comes back to him and his feelings and thoughts.  That if it does not revolve around him, he still needs to make it is own which leads to stripping away the joy other people have or judging happy moments for others which indeed makes him, at times, "intolerable".   

You don't have to commit a felony to do something "disgusting, loathsome or abhorrent".  And yes what Kurt did easily fits all those words. 

Edited by dohe