Type keyword(s) to search

Best of the Bachelor: Favorite Contestants, Episodes, Seasons

regardez
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, Sugar said:

I was a sucker for Tina Fabulous, though all these years later I can't remember what made her so special. Can anyone remind me?

Absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned, I could not stand her!  I think I remember in one of the contestants' talking heads, she said Tina got that nickname because she was always made up & dressed to the nines.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2016 at 1:35 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Brad 1.0 is the greatest of all time for me. I shall never forget Brad fidgeting and stalking around that garden, gathering his nerve, while Deanna is standing there blinkingly heated.  And not to mention, the TWOP forum meltdown. I cannot imagine the scope of the outrage if social media such as Facebook and Twitter were ubiquitous as they are today.  It was glorious.  I may need to hit up Youtube to watch it again.

My favorite Bachelor moment OF ALL TIME is during a "where are they now" segment where Brad is eating a sandwich and giving zero fucks while Deanna's season is playing in the background. Contrived for sure but seemed so true to his personality. Oh, so funny. 

I still kind of chuckle that sweet Matt ended up with that Lamas girl who later married Nik from thedirty.com. Shane? Shayne?  I wonder if they're still together...iirc, they had one little one and then she had a late pregnancy miscarriage and almost died? It's interesting to me that one of their more "famous" personalities (thanks to her dad) has ended up out of the spotlight, despite marrying someone who was also media. I did like her, so wish them well. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, kalibean said:

My favorite Bachelor moment OF ALL TIME is during a "where are they now" segment where Brad is eating a sandwich and giving zero fucks while Deanna's season is playing in the background.

No kidding? Wish I would have seen that, heh. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I  liked her. Tina Fabulous had lots of brothers and she could thread the needle and go deep for a pass with a football while wearing stilettos. The other b'ettes gave her that nickname. She was also a little cool to the Bachelor, letting him chase her, it seemed to me. Here is an interview with her from back in the day (she was 22! Ridiculous): http://www.tvguide.com/news/tina-fabulous-jeers-40983/

Wait - she was only 22?!?! Damn, when I was 22 I still sometimes played with my old Barbies and wore overalls :P I could have sworn this woman was in her 30's just by looks and how she carried herself. Unreal.

I started watching The Bachelor/ette during Jesse Palmer's season so I don't know how the franchise started or what it was like in the very beginning. My memory is bad so I barely remember the seasons I have watched. So anyway, I binged the first season on the abc app today. It was so extremely different back then, I can't even believe it. There was no quirky music, no villain, everyone got along, the bachelor said real things and had actual thoughts. I actually saw real dates without a script! And nobody got a bad edit. Amazing. 

The only thing I can say about the season 1 ladies is Shannon was a real downer and clearly had no idea what she was getting into. Actually I don't think she would have known how to treat a man without cameras rolling although she liked to blame the cameras for her attitude and discomfort. I mean, seriously, she brought Alex home to meet her family and then left him inside to stare awkwardly at mom and dad while she played with the dog. That had nothing to do with cameras. She was just rude. 

And now I know where Trista came from. I like her.

Almost forgot, during TWTA, they added little tidbits before commercials. One of which was, "The number of women Alex made out with: 7." Lol! Out of 25 he made out with an astounding 7! They make out with all 25 on the first night now.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 3

the thing about shannon on season 1--for the first few seasons, the fantasy suite date card was a big shock--noone anticipated it--Shannon had the best reaction--something to the effect of "Oh is there a Alex and Trista card" she was sort of awesome to me for her reaction.

Tina fabulous--I still remmeber how bad I felt when she was sent home....it seems like he worked hard to lower her resistance and then as soon as she fell for him he was done. I did like her a lot. Isnt she working for the show now??

On 2/2/2017 at 7:20 PM, kalibean said:

My favorite Bachelor moment OF ALL TIME is during a "where are they now" segment where Brad is eating a sandwich and giving zero fucks while Deanna's season is playing in the background. Contrived for sure but seemed so true to his personality. Oh, so funny. 

I still kind of chuckle that sweet Matt ended up with that Lamas girl who later married Nik from thedirty.com. Shane? Shayne?  I wonder if they're still together...iirc, they had one little one and then she had a late pregnancy miscarriage and almost died? It's interesting to me that one of their more "famous" personalities (thanks to her dad) has ended up out of the spotlight, despite marrying someone who was also media. I did like her, so wish them well. 

Oh that Matt....I felt so so bad for Chelsea when she got dumped.......I forgot about Shyne lamas, I hope she is happy and healthy.

• Love 3

Has there ever been another runner up like Chelsea, who, when she was dumped, told Matt, "You're making a huge mistake," or something to that effect? I think Molly reacted sort of similarly to Jason Mesnick, though I'm not sure it was anti-Melissa but rather, "we're meant to be together so you're crazy to pick her." (Which, ehh, I guess he figured out soon enough.) Chelsea's reaction to Matt was more like, "Shayne is a snake and will eat you alive and boy you are going to REGRET this," and less about Chelsea-and-Matt's relationship.

Any other finalist react that way? I can't remember, but I haven't watched them all. (I thought Raven was particularly classy when she was dumped.)

• Love 2

I found a 2009 article rating Wisconsin reality show contestants.  I agree with their assessment of Tina LOL.  

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/SayCheese/

Most Annoying – Tina Panas 
Known as “Tina Fabulous” while making it to the final three on season three of “The Bachelor.” She annoyed other contestants by always wearing bachelor Andrew Firestone’s watch, then “crushed” him by not giving him “a heartfelt goodbye.” After being eliminated, she said life with Firestone, whose family owns vineyards, didn’t really thrill her anyway: “I don’t think that being barefoot and pregnant on a vineyard is fabulous.” She envisioned a mate that she’d let drink beer and watch football with the guys. “And then I would leave… with his credit card!”

There isn't much about her that is current (at least I can't find anything), she got married in 2009 and was working in marketing for Procter & Gamble at the time.  Her husband's pretty cute!

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/announcements/weddings/panas-irion/article_6bf9ff38-f1b3-11de-b032-001cc4c03286.html

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

I just got done watching Trista's season and wow, the baby talk is seriously annoying and toward the end of the season she spoke baby almost the whole time. I almost felt embarrassed for her, it was so bad. I really want to know what man likes to be talked to like he's a child, and why. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I just got done watching Trista's season and wow, the baby talk is seriously annoying and toward the end of the season she spoke baby almost the whole time. I almost felt embarrassed for her, it was so bad. I really want to know what man likes to be talked to like he's a child, and why. 

I rewatched this as well.  I remembered being really annoyed at the baby talk in real time, but when I started the rewatch I wondered what the hell I was talking about.  Then, as you said, the season started winding down and it got worse & worse as the episodes passed!  And that cackle!  Other than her annoying traits, though, that season was certainly better than what we'be been getting more recently.

• Love 1

So now I want to know how I can watch the rest of the seasons because I'm curious about this Tina Fabulous person. Does anybody know how I can watch them? The abc app only has season 1 of the bachelor and season 1 of the bachelorette.

1 minute ago, ByTor said:

I rewatched this as well.  I remembered being really annoyed at the baby talk in real time, but when I started the rewatch I wondered what the hell I was talking about.  Then, as you said, the season started winding down and it got worse & worse as the episodes passed!  And that cackle!  Other than her annoying traits, though, that season was certainly better than what we'be been getting more recently.

By far it was different in certain ways. Like I said about Alex' season, it felt like we were witnessing real dates. Now it's drama and competition and producer manipulation. It's less boring now I guess? Maybe? But the famewhores ruin it and you never know who's there for the right reasons. Back then, they didn't know how much money they could make by doing the show and I feel that most everyone really wanted to meet Trista and treated it as a real dating show. We will never go back to the good ol days of reality tv. It's just not possible. Oh well. It's fun to hate watch too.

Btw, if I didn't know who she picked beforehand, I would have been blindsided that she picked Ryan. Editing did a good job with that one. I don't know about everyone else, but Ryan really won me over. He's so soft spoken. Seems a little dumb but in a cute way. He has a sweet spirit. Or had. I don't know about now.

That guy Russ, omg DOUCHE ALERT!! How did he get so far?

Rodeo cowboy was just an asshole plain and simple. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

So now I want to know how I can watch the rest of the seasons because I'm curious about this Tina Fabulous person. Does anybody know how I can watch them? The abc app only has season 1 of the bachelor and season 1 of the bachelorette.

Here's a 10 minute clip where she's on one of their group dates:

5 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Rodeo cowboy was just an asshole plain and simple. 

That guy with the Farrah Fawcett hair?  hahaha yep, how shallow of her to be allergic to horses!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

the thing about shannon on season 1--for the first few seasons, the fantasy suite date card was a big shock--noone anticipated it--Shannon had the best reaction--something to the effect of "Oh is there a Alex and Trista card" she was sort of awesome to me for her reaction.

She was just so angry all the time about everything. I did love her reaction to the fantasy card. I probably would have said the same thing. What mostly bothered me about her was her unwillingness to touch on an important subject, sex. I would have felt the same about the cameras and I wouldn't have gone into detail like Trista did about orgasms, but then again, I wouldn't have gone on one of these shows. At one point, Shannom got so upset about being asked a question about her rules and what makes her a nice girl, that I thought maybe there was an incident in her past, like a rape or molestation. I've never seen anybody who can't even acknowledge that sex exists without getting pissed off. I wouldn't have felt awkward answering to the effect of, yes sex is important to the relationship but I want to talk about it in private. Instead she got angry and accused Alex of not caring. And she wouldn't let him even give her a peck. It was weird. Her hometown was rude. I don't understand how she came out as America's sweetheart after that. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Here's a 10 minute clip where she's on one of their group dates:

That guy with the Farrah Fawcett hair?  hahaha yep, how shallow of her to be allergic to horses!

I can't stand Tina and I've only seen the clip you posted. I don't know if I can deal with an entire season. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

I can't stand Tina and I've only seen the clip you posted. I don't know if I can deal with an entire season. 

IMO she was the WORST part of that season.

5 hours ago, Nowhere said:

She was just so angry all the time about everything. I did love her reaction to the fantasy card. I probably would have said the same thing. What mostly bothered me about her was her unwillingness to touch on an important subject, sex. I would have felt the same about the cameras and I wouldn't have gone into detail like Trista did about orgasms, but then again, I wouldn't have gone on one of these shows. At one point, Shannom got so upset about being asked a question about her rules and what makes her a nice girl, that I thought maybe there was an incident in her past, like a rape or molestation. I've never seen anybody who can't even acknowledge that sex exists without getting pissed off. I wouldn't have felt awkward answering to the effect of, yes sex is important to the relationship but I want to talk about it in private. Instead she got angry and accused Alex of not caring. And she wouldn't let him even give her a peck. It was weird. Her hometown was rude. I don't understand how she came out as America's sweetheart after that. 

I never thought she was billed as americas sweetheart. she was drama for sure!!

20 hours ago, TiaLou said:

Has there ever been another runner up like Chelsea, who, when she was dumped, told Matt, "You're making a huge mistake," or something to that effect? I think Molly reacted sort of similarly to Jason Mesnick, though I'm not sure it was anti-Melissa but rather, "we're meant to be together so you're crazy to pick her." (Which, ehh, I guess he figured out soon enough.) Chelsea's reaction to Matt was more like, "Shayne is a snake and will eat you alive and boy you are going to REGRET this," and less about Chelsea-and-Matt's relationship.

Any other finalist react that way? I can't remember, but I haven't watched them all. (I thought Raven was particularly classy when she was dumped.)

yes Desiree begged Sean not to say goodbye--it was pretty heart wrenching. and on Deanna's <gag> season, Jeremy was totally devestated....throwing himself on the ground in grief...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ByTor said:

OMG Tristas babytalk. I still remember her with Charlie in babytalk "Im on the beach in mexico with Charlie". Ugh!! lol

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nlkm9 said:

I never thought she was billed as americas sweetheart. she was drama for sure!!

Chris said she had become America's sweetheart on The Women Tell All and said she got a lot of good feedback from fans. I don't know why. I guess because of her strong stance on kissing and sex talk. She said her mother was proud of her for not kissing Alex or talking about sex. Then she was on Trista's season as one of the friends who interviewed the guys. Some of the guys said they had a crush on her. I thought she was a very plain looking drama queen so I don't know what the attraction was.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Bugs Meany said:

Omg thank you! Is there more where that came from?

That was all I could find on a quick search, but I'm sure there's more out there if you dig deeper :)

On 2/2/2017 at 4:53 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I  liked her. Tina Fabulous had lots of brothers and she could thread the needle and go deep for a pass with a football while wearing stilettos. The other b'ettes gave her that nickname. She was also a little cool to the Bachelor, letting him chase her, it seemed to me. Here is an interview with her from back in the day (she was 22! Ridiculous): http://www.tvguide.com/news/tina-fabulous-jeers-40983/

It's been awhile, but I thought Tina told the other B'ettes that Tina Fabulous was a nickname she got in high school or something.  IIRC they then used the nickname with an eyeroll attached.  Couldn't stand her.

Love hearing the comments from S1 bringing back memories to me.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm glad they are replaying them.  It WAS so different.  

I had many eps of different seasons on VCR's and a couple years ago was able to dust off the old machine, plug it in, and find the clip of that Doctor Travis Stork and play it for a friend of mine to show her what an arrogant stuffed-shirt he was and the way he acted to that girl who gave him the 'orange-peel smile" on their date.   The whole thing is just so damned funny to look back on esp. compared to the friendly doc persona he had on The Doctors show. 

2 hours ago, seasick said:

It's been awhile, but I thought Tina told the other B'ettes that Tina Fabulous was a nickname she got in high school or something.  IIRC they then used the nickname with an eyeroll attached.  Couldn't stand her.

Love hearing the comments from S1 bringing back memories to me.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm glad they are replaying them.  It WAS so different.  

I had many eps of different seasons on VCR's and a couple years ago was able to dust off the old machine, plug it in, and find the clip of that Doctor Travis Stork and play it for a friend of mine to show her what an arrogant stuffed-shirt he was and the way he acted to that girl who gave him the 'orange-peel smile" on their date.   The whole thing is just so damned funny to look back on esp. compared to the friendly doc persona he had on The Doctors show. 

LOL that orange peel girl was soooo funny. I remember Travis had a contestant who was moody and distance called Mona or Moanna?

Anyone else remember the chick on Charlies season who couldnt help it that she was so beautiful??that thats why everyone hated her?? Charlie cracked me up because in one of his talking heads he was like "wow all these pretty girls are here and they actually all want to date me" ha.

Another superfond memory was Brad season 1, there was a girl with an unusual name and their hometown date was super awkward and I think she was originally really his pick. Maybe Bettina?? something like that.

Anyone else remember Lanny on merediths season and meeting her mother?? I thought he was the cutest thing but she realized she couldnt possibly ever have anything to do with that mother in law from hell.

Ok lol one more--on aarons season when he dumped Brooke and she was wailing in the car "I was so selfless, I was so selfless". Some of the dumpings were just brutal.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Another superfond memory was Brad season 1, there was a girl with an unusual name and their hometown date was super awkward and I think she was originally really his pick. Maybe Bettina?? something like that.

Yes, Bettina. Her family was part of the DC elite, and her father was super-condescending to Brad for being "just" a bar owner (never mind that Brad was already a multimillionaire at that time).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

LOL that orange peel girl was soooo funny. I remember Travis had a contestant who was moody and distance called Mona or Moanna?

Moana--yeah.  Cold to the point of sterile. . figures he went for her initially. Back then the F4 or 3 would have these taped pleas to the bachelor who would view them as he pondered their pictures and videos.  Hers was this gut-level break down that surprised me IIRC that seemed to betray her hard, cool exterior.  Also remember during the first cocktail party the woman who attacked him asking if maybe her boobs weren't big enough and said her eggs were rotting?  Could never figure why he chose the hometown girl other than for travel logistics.  I also think Moo-ana and her family was too 'all-in' and it seems pretty obvious he wasn't interested in marriage.   

7 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Anyone else remember the chick on Charlies season who couldnt help it that she was so beautiful??that thats why everyone hated her??

I remember her!  She was very pretty but it seemed to escape her that she was hated for being the most conceited woman ever.  I loved Charlie for dumping her and going for the cute nurse--and they stayed together quite awhile.

I remember Bettina--think that is why he didn't choose anyone in the end? (because he was all about her).  I remember her telling him something like 'You look good on paper"  and he went ballistic.

I don't remember the other scenes but it's fun to recall this stuff.  I wasn't on a forum then--if there were any.. so missed the discuss and share.   

Has there ever been another runner up like Chelsea, who, when she was dumped, told Matt, "You're making a huge mistake," or something to that effect? I think Molly reacted sort of similarly to Jason Mesnick, though I'm not sure it was anti-Melissa but rather, "we're meant to be together so you're crazy to pick her." (Which, ehh, I guess he figured out soon enough.)

If I recall correctly, Molly was completely gobsmacked not to be chosen and did make some anti-Melissa statements to him.  I think the editors removed some of that for the show, after they knew that she was actually going to be Jason's ultimate choice, but I remember that at one point an unedited clip was floating around in which Molly went off on Melissa, claiming that she was too immature and unworldly for Jason (which is hilarious for 24 year old sheltered Molly to be throwing shade at 23 year old sheltered Melissa for not being sophisticated enough for boring, basic insurance salesman Jason).  Based upon things both Molly and Melissa said post-show, as well as things other contestants in that season said, I think it was pretty well known that Molly and Melissa didn't particularly like each other, even before it was clear they were going to be the final two.  

It is funny, I remember I couldn't stand Molly during her season and during the whole switcheroo aftermath, as I found her incredibly smug and calculating, but I will say that she and Jason seem pretty well matched and that they really seem to have a very happy family life.  So, good for them!  I certainly found them both much more likable than either Sean or Catherine on Celebrity Wife Swap, and they both at least have regular jobs and aren't still earning a living from their Bachelor fame.

I also think that Kirsten, the runner-up in Andrew Firestone's season, also some pretty scathing things about Jen in her post-dumping limo interview.  Kirsten was great TV -- she was totally gorgeous but also looked just like an evil queen in a Disney movie (as I think the recapped at TWOP described her).  I think she was really the first "I'm not here to make friends" Bachelor contestant.  It was funny because Andrew was totally hot for her but was very clearly told by his horrified blue blood family that he wasn't going to propose to that bimbo.  Remember Andrew crying after his brother told him that Jen had let slip that Kirsten had had a boyfriend with whom she had just broken up at home? That season was definitely my favorite.  Bitchy Kirsten, drunk Amber, crazy Cristina who wanted Andrew to "taste her culture," the goofy vegetarian who ate meat for the first time in ten-some years when Andrew offered some to her -- that season had some great characters who weren't all aiming for a shot at Paradise or Instagram fame.  I loved Tina Fabulous's style and clothes, but she really was a brat.  I don't think the editors liked her either, as they kind of screwed her over with that fantasy suite edit.

I am embarrassed that I still remember this, but the other women gave her the name Tina Fabulous to differentiate her from the other Tina that season, who was an earnest and kind of frumpy girl from Tennessee (whom the TWOP recapped called Tinassee!)  I felt so bad for the not-Fab Tina!

23 HOURS AGO,  NLKM9 SAID: 

Anyone else remember the chick on Charlies season who couldnt help it that she was so beautiful??that thats why everyone hated her??

I remember her!  She was very pretty but it seemed to escape her that she was hated for being the most conceited woman ever.  I loved Charlie for dumping her and going for the cute nurse--and they stayed together quite awhile.

Yes, that was Sarah! Charlie named her Big Sarah, to differentiate her from the ultimate winner, Little Sarah.  (I didn't feel as bad for Big Sarah for her nickname as I did for non-Fab Tina.)  She was pretty, but yeah, totally delusional and conceited.  Her post-dumping interview was one for the ages.  She went on about how she was discriminated against for being beautiful, and that people who did that were "like, racist."  Ha!

• Love 2
On 3/22/2017 at 0:02 PM, ByTor said:

That was all I could find on a quick search, but I'm sure there's more out there if you dig deeper :)

I performed wizardry and found the source of that vid. This is the (only) other Bachelor clip they have:

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bugs Meany said:

I performed wizardry and found the source of that vid. This is the (only) other Bachelor clip they have:

Will you perform wizardry and find out how I can watch all the complete seasons? I've been looking everywhere and can't find any except season 1.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:20 PM, nlkm9 said:

Anyone else remember Lanny on merediths season and meeting her mother?? I thought he was the cutest thing but she realized she couldnt possibly ever have anything to do with that mother in law from hell.

NLKM9, you've touched on two of my favorite bachelor/ette memories.  Bettina is my all time favorite bachelor contestant.  I thought her beautiful, classy and intelligent. I believe she was going to be Brad's choice, but after the less than enthusiastic welcome he received from her family, his pride made him let her go.  And, if it wasn't going to be Bettina, it wasn't going to be anyone.  I've always wondered what became of her. 

To this day, Meredith's visit with Lanny's family remains one of my favorite family visits.  His religious fanatic, southern mother appeared to come straight out of central casting.  In the early years, the drama seemed real; now, it seems manufactured. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 5:07 PM, Bugs Meany said:

Harrison looked so young! I actually had that "aw" reaction like when I see an old picture of my kids--you were so young and cute!

Andrew seemed so sophisticated and high class compared to the bozo rejects they recycle nowadays. Until he mentioned his perfect well-done steak. Well done?! What a monster!

ETA: That is the crux of the difference in this show. Back then, these fantasy dates the girls and the viewers at home would imagine that this could be a typical date flying off to a spa on the Fierstone dynasty's dime. We were getting a glimpse into this elite world of dating, or so we could believe anyway. But this isn't real life for unemployed former software salesmen and assorted professional dog walkers and the like. I think that's why they HAD to switch the focus on the drama. But if they brought back a genuine eligible bachelor that's truly worth fighting over, it would be a bit more believable. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 5

Unfortunately (eta: realized it's actually rather fortunate), I don't think a genuine catch would go anywhere near this show now. Any boost to business would be temporary, and if he's not a business owner/entrepreneur, I can't see any man with common sense risking his career for this. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3

I am glad I saw this thread.  I believe that had I watched this show in the early days I would understand the loyalty of the fans more.  I remember the ads for Firestone, the doctor and either someone who was in the military or maybe it was the pilot.   It just seemed at one time there were men that seemed like the "fairytale," either someone of wealth or someone who had that type of job that you defined as either glamorous or at least extremely professional.   I still can't get with the concept of having intimate contact with someone who is doing that with other people, and letting them choose (let alone the fantasy suite), but I could at least understand someone wanting to take a shot at a Firestone.....as opposed to an unemployed model, software salesman, etc. that you can meet at the local bar. 

I agree with ribbon....a real catch would not be on this show. It seems to be a drama fest with so many scripted sayings, etc., with dates designed to show sexuality. 

Just from the clips, did the contestants used to be older?   Also, am I the only one that thinks they need a new mansion?  The one they are using is just dated and unappealing.  No wonder they go on trips. It just seems drab and dreary. 

11 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Harrison looked so young! I actually had that "aw" reaction like when I see an old picture of my kids--you were so young and cute!

Andrew seemed so sophisticated and high class compared to the bozo rejects they recycle nowadays. Until he mentioned his perfect well-done steak. Well done?! What a monster!

ETA: That is the crux of the difference in this show. Back then, these fantasy dates the girls and the viewers at home would imagine that this could be a typical date flying off to a spa on the Fierstone dynasty's dime. We were getting a glimpse into this elite world of dating, or so we could believe anyway. But this isn't real life for unemployed former software salesmen and assorted professional dog walkers and the like. I think that's why they HAD to switch the focus on the drama. But if they brought back a genuine eligible bachelor that's truly worth fighting over, it would be a bit more believable. 

andrew was a lot classier--I remember Liz asked him for a kiss and he refused. now we have guys who make out with everyone on their first nite!!

it definitley used to be more "real" if you will. also this was before social media and show spin offs so I think the contestants really came on to meet someone, not just to get on tv and stay on tv!

the other gem on andrews season was amber, because she was so cute, blonde and adorable he kept giving her second chances..she got drunk at a rose ceremony, lol and i still remember them at dinner--she was hopeless at conversation "so andrew, what is your favorite chain restaurant? i like olive garden"..Um i dont think the firestones go to many chain restaurants. there was TH from someone who said Andrew loves cute blondes which is why he kept trying with her, but look can only take you so far...

• Love 2
On 3/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, catrice2 said:

I still can't get with the concept of having intimate contact with someone who is doing that with other people

But isn't this how it is in real world dating before agreeing to be monogamous?

4 hours ago, ByTor said:

But isn't this how it is in real world dating before agreeing to be monogamous?

For some people yes, but I guess it depends on the person.  In the real world you also usually do not have to watch them have intimate contact with the other woman, or pretend to be friends.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bugs Meany said:

Jen Saviano from Ben's season lost her dignified, too-good-for-this-show air by going on Paradise and hooking up with Nick, but good lord is she pretty.

Talk about damning with faint praise...

Something strange is going on with Danielle's hairline in that pic.  She need not ever pull her hair back. 

On 3/27/2017 at 5:59 PM, catrice2 said:

In the real world you also usually do not have to watch them have intimate contact with the other woman, or pretend to be friends.

Yeah, that's why I don't perceive the show as some microcosm of real life.  I hope it's not common for one man to be seeing/kissing/groping some dozen other women and they all know about each other.  Then again, this show is firmly entrenched in pop culture, so stranger things can happen. 

On 3/26/2017 at 10:30 AM, catrice2 said:

Just from the clips, did the contestants used to be older?   Also, am I the only one that thinks they need a new mansion?  The one they are using is just dated and unappealing.  No wonder they go on trips. It just seems drab and dreary. 

I think some of that is just styling, plus the wretched things we did to our eyebrows back then. But I think as the caliber of bachelor has gone down, so has the caliber of women seeking them out. We still get some gems in there, but it seems to be heavily weighted torwards those driven to further their modeling careers, Instagram fees and promotional appearances. I like the gals that come on as a lark or adventure, and bonus if they fall in love. It's a different kind of machine these days. 

When I watched the Tina Fab clip upthread, I couldn't believe she was 22. She would have eaten similarly aged Corinne and Taylor for lunch. There's a definitely lack of maturity to the early 20's ladies they are casting now. Or maybe it's just too fresh in my mind. I was friends with two contestants from the early days and they were both mature college grads with actual careers and life. Tho maybe they would have turned into reality whores, who knows? We were so innocent in the early 2000's ???

• Love 4
21 hours ago, kalibean said:

But I think as the caliber of bachelor has gone down, so has the caliber of women seeking them out. We still get some gems in there, but it seems to be heavily weighted torwards those driven to further their modeling careers, Instagram fees and promotional appearances.

Definitely one of the problems with pulling your leads from previous seasons. When you do that, you start a downward spiral, and at this point, I really don't know if they could come back from that even if they wanted to.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2017 at 2:22 PM, kalibean said:

When I watched the Tina Fab clip upthread, I couldn't believe she was 22. She would have eaten similarly aged Corinne and Taylor for lunch. There's a definitely lack of maturity to the early 20's ladies they are casting now. Or maybe it's just too fresh in my mind. I was friends with two contestants from the early days and they were both mature college grads with actual careers and life. Tho maybe they would have turned into reality whores, who knows? We were so innocent in the early 2000's

Ah yes. To your and kingshearte's point, the show attracts a different kind of young woman now, and it's more beneficial to have the hot takes and witty comebacks in your talking heads to get additional screen time.  Those who seem reasonably mature don't seem to get much screentime or are quickly dismissed as boring/fake by viewers.

I remember being surprised to read they would announce Rachel as the Bachelorette.  She didn't have much screentime before the announcement was made, and it colored my perception of her footage post-announcement.  

• Love 1
On 3/26/2017 at 7:58 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Unfortunately (eta: realized it's actually rather fortunate), I don't think a genuine catch would go anywhere near this show now. Any boost to business would be temporary, and if he's not a business owner/entrepreneur, I can't see any man with common sense risking his career for this. 

I agree.  SM can destroy you.  

• Love 1