Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Tribunal

I found it interesting that they explained to Wu that there was some woging ordinary people can see, and some that only a Grimm can see. I guess that clears up in a way some of the long standing discrepancies in the show, but it doesn't seem to have any logical basis.

I enjoyed this episode for the most part, but I'm getting frustrated by the fact that they continue to blue the lines on who can see a Wesen Woge, and why and how. In the beginning it was only Nick who could see them woge, which is what made him a Grimm. Then at some point they established regular people could see them woge because there is a special kind of woge they do where regular people see them - but Monroe specified that it's kind of an extreme thing and hard to do. Then in this episode, Bud spontaneously and accidentally woges and Wu can see him. That seems more like the kind of woge the Wesen do when they're under duress and can't help it, which is the kind only Nick is supposed to see.

I also don't understand why Monroe and Bud weren't in woge state during the whole tribunal - that kind of stress and emotion is exactly what's supposed to make them woge (especially Bud) but neither of them did. They're just playing too fast and too loose with the "rules" of this world.

This thing with Juliette is also confusing. Wesen are born Wesen, but Adalind was somehow "de-Wesened" by Nick then got her Wesen back? And Juliette is Wesen now as a side effect of a spell? So, can you turn people into Blutbaden, Bauerschwein or EIsbibers? Can they be de-Wesened? Or are Hexenbiest not technically Wesen?

It feels like the show gets more confusing and muddled the longer it goes on.

• Love 3

Because Bud spilled that Nick was de-Grimmed in the past and somehow every Wesen in Portland, despite never seeing it for himself, just plain believed it

I'd say, yes. Many people (especially idiots like those in the hate group) would just believe it. I've known people who would swear up and down something was true because a friend told them - without any effort to confirm, and when the "something" was completely untrue.

I loved in-charge Wu and am really happy in the way they're having him join the circle. "You're no Aswan," cracked me up.

I'm no fan of Juliette, but I think going to the Captain made perfect sense. Remember, it's been maybe 48 hours, and Renard is most familiar with life as a wesen/hexenbeist (though I believe he's a zauberbeist, the male version). To me it was more an equivalent of Googling to find more information.

Definitely, if you like the Captain here, check out Caprica. An underappreciated show, but man, he was wonderful in many ways (and not just eye-candy).  BTW, in real life he appears at most Comic-Con type events in Portland. This weekend, he's at Wizard World.

I found it interesting that they explained to Wu that there was some woging ordinary people can see, and some that only a Grimm can see. I guess that clears up in a way some of the long standing discrepancies in the show, but it doesn't seem to have any logical basis.

As I recall, in the first season they specified that non-Grimms could only see woging if the wesen deliberately intended to be seen - a full on woge. That seemed logical enough to me.

And Juliette is Wesen now as a side effect of a spell? So, can you turn people into Blutbaden, Bauerschwein or EIsbibers? Can they be de-Wesened? Or are Hexenbiest not technically Wesen?

That's an interesting question. Blutbaden are similar to what we usually call werewolves - and mythic convention is that werewolves can be made. Now, hexenbeist have powers, but they are also witches  (hexen and zauber mean witch and wizard in German), and use spells. So it doesn't seem unlikely that they can use a spell to "infect" someone with a wesen nature.

Edited because "zauber" means wizard, whereas "sauber" means clean. :)

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

As several mentioned upthread, this has been consistent since the 1st season, but you are forgiven for not remembering since they don't always mention it and probably, like me, you watch too much TV to remember every fictional rule for every show--especially supernatural show rules.

What might have made it more memorable--and would, IMO, be a great plot point--is to have an episode or two focus on how these degrees of woging are like people whose ethnicities are not obvious revealing them. Since the show has a diverse cast, they could also explore the feelings of those who cannot "hide" their ethnicities towards those who can and vice versa. Or maybe the writers think this is already implicit in the woging for viewers who can "pass" for the majority ethnic group, and not worth dwelling on otherwise?

My bigger question is why does he have a key? It was implied Hank and Nick were in the car with Monroe and Rosalee at the time of Wu's french fryedness. This is supposed to be a secret trailer Nick occasionally moves to keep it's secretness. I get why Teresa had access on her own, but does Nick just give everyone he's let in on the secret a key? Seems very stupid to me.

I was wondering this too. It doesn't make any sense. At this point we have never seen Hank there alone, which would imply that he doesn't have a key. And the only time I recall seeing Juliette go there alone was when it was at their house but Nick was in there. The only people that should have keys are Nick (obviously), Thersea and maybe Monroe. Though I imagine Kelly could get in if she wanted to as well. But that doesn't explain Wu, unless he stole it off of Nick or something. I'm not sure what bothered me more that he was their alone without explanation or that he was eating/drinking fast food next to those old books that weren't even his.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

It felt like it took them ages to find out the location of the Tribunal, but it did build up the suspense for the ending. I was actually worried they were going to kill off Monroe or Bud at the end of the episode.

Oxbow Park, where the tribunal was happening (and it looks like they actually did film there)  is a bit of a drive from Portland.  It's been a few years since I've been there, but I believe it is actually in Gresham, so it would have been out of the jurisdiction of the PDX PD. So I could see why it would not have been on the Police radar to look there.  It's a pretty isolated place, so I'm guessing if you wanted to have some sort of neo-Nazi murder ritual, it's not a bad bet.  However, there is no way that Monroe could have run from the factory or where it was that he was hiding into that park...it is very isolated.

Another thing that made me scratch my head.  Since when are Blutbad and Bauerschwein working together?

• Love 3

Juliette thinks that at the very least she can ask Renard what the hell hell his mom did to her before raising the alarm with everyone else.  That said, Nick should be the next person she tells.

• Love 3

I also don't understand why Monroe and Bud weren't in woge state during the whole tribunal - that kind of stress and emotion is exactly what's supposed to make them woge (especially Bud) but neither of them did. They're just playing too fast and too loose with the "rules" of this world.

Blame it on the VFX budget

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 1

...Another thing that made me scratch my head.  Since when are Blutbad and Bauerschwein working together?

Like the Three Little Pigs and The Big Bad Wolf forming a terrorist organization together, right? Heh. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," but, yeah, I don't think there were any Latinos in the KKK just because they had a beef with the brothers living on the next block.

...I also don't understand why Monroe and Bud weren't in woge state during the whole tribunal - that kind of stress and emotion is exactly what's supposed to make them woge (especially Bud) but neither of them did....

Blame it on the VFX budget
Sure, but also Bud and Monroe had the most meaningful lines, and having them delivered while in biest makeup would have diminished the impact, if not made it seem silly.

Plus, in the station with Wu, Bud made it clear that he has trouble 'getting it up' (his woge) and with "premature" de-woging. I must be twelve, because I thought the ED references were pretty hysterical.

• Love 3

I wonder if I was the only one hoping that he would say when asked if he has helped Nick, well I fixed his refrigerator.

No, I was waiting for that, too.

I just think it's funny that cops that happen to be Wesen are Pigs.  (Like Orson in Arson way back in season one.)

• Love 4

Edited because "zauber" means wizard, whereas "sauber" means clean. :)

Zauber in German means magic.  Like Die Zauberflote, the opera.

My concern with Wu in the trailer was condensation from his drink dripping onto the fragile elderly pages.

I thought the whole corridor walk and the trial were wildly cheesy, but I don't expect much else.

More than eating fast food over the really really old books, I was pissed that Wu was even in the trailer by himself. What the hell, Wu? This isn't the public library. Unless you're a Grimm or Nick has asked you to go there and get something for him, I don't think anyone should be just hanging out there reading up on stuff.

I thought the episode was really good. They kept the suspense up for me at the tribunal even though the stuff at the station felt like they were treading water.

I was sure Bud would turn out to be the one who told Shaw but by accident, because that's how Bud rolls. I was also scared that he'd be the one killed off. I'd just listened to a podcast where they brought up the fact that no main characters have died and that Bud could die without it effecting the show the way a Monroe death would. So I was sure that this was the end of Bud since he was all over the show.

BTW every time they said Grand Master, I thought of that season on Married With Children when Bud was a wannabe rapper called Grand Master B and everyone kept botching the name.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 1

her killing the guy with her new hexenbeist(spelling ?) power was awesome

I know, I also liked it and seeing the she basically brained that guy, with her newly acquired hexenbeist powers, was cool (and I feel like she is a way more interesting character now, more so when she knocked that Wesen guy with a frying pan a season or two ago). Although, I do think it was stupid of Juliette to now hid this from Nick. At least she should tell Nick first and not just Renard (but I guess she went to him because of his mother). I know that this was all about Rosalee and Monroe, but I felt that she should have said something to Nick (maybe over the phone to him). She doesn't totally need to tell him that she is now a hexenbeist but maybe she could've said that she thinks that there is a major side effect that she is suffering from but doesn't want to bother Rosalee on her honeymoon. 

• Love 3

I know, I also liked it and seeing the she basically brained that guy, with her newly acquired hexenbeist powers, was cool (and I feel like she is a way more interesting character now, more so when she knocked that Wesen guy with a frying pan a season or two ago)....

To each his own. If I designed a Juliette action figure, she'd have a frying pan in her hand.
  • Love 4

To each his own. If I designed a Juliette action figure, she'd have a frying pan in her hand.

Personally,  I would make it an accessory that can be easily replace with something else and to have a button that would changed her into a hexenbiest and back. Although, I do want to see a Renard action figure with a phone glued to his head. 

• Love 7

Zauber in German means magic.  Like Die Zauberflote, the opera.

My concern with Wu in the trailer was condensation from his drink dripping onto the fragile elderly pages.

I thought the whole corridor walk and the trial were wildly cheesy, but I don't expect much else.

True enough. "zauberer" means wizard (aka magician), and Hexe means witch. A little rusty, a little rushed, and I left off the suffix.

Edited by clanstarling

Why was Wu in the trailer by himself, seemed kind of weird? And I'm glad Juliette seeked help from Renard, I do hope she tells Nick soon.

I think because somebody saw Juliette in Hexenbiest form -- and it's whoever blew the Grandmaster's little bro's (name escapes me at the moment!) head off.  They never revealed who fired that shot.  It had to be Wu since none of the others mentioned it!

But Wu doesn't know all the backstory, so he doesn't know that nobody else knows what Juliette is (yet!)  He's doing a little research on his own to figure out what he saw.

I think her going to Renard was good too - he certainly knows more about being a Biest that Nick does!  But yeah, she's got to tell Nick soon.  I'm hoping the ax scene in the preview is another dream.

My TV was a little dark.  Did Juliette use her telekinesis to pick her gun up and shoot the guy or did she use it to flat-out rip his skull open?

We just watched that scene again.  It's not clear whether Juliette exploded Little Bro's head with her powers, or whether someone else shot him from behind.  Whether it was a gunshot or Juliette doing it herself, I bet Wu witnessed her transformation and is trying to figure out what she is, hence his trailer visit.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 2

Looks like we have two different theories here...Juliette blew the dude's brain out with her silent scream, or somebody else shot his brain pan out from behind.  Since the closed captioning did say there was the sound of a gunshot, the second theory has as much, if not more, plausibility than the first. I wish it had been made clearer. 

I had assumed it was Juliette's newly acquired-and-still-out-of-control powers, but after reading The Wild Sow's post above (and the many posts about WTF was Wu doing in the trailer) I would like to change my opinion: I think Wu blew off the guy's head--thinking he was saving Juliette--and got to her just in time to see the last moments of her Hexenbiest face.

I'm also wondering if Nick is going to notice evidence of someone having been eating in the trailer--or did he give Wu permission as part of Renard's directive to get Wu up to speed?

I really do not think anyone saw Juliette and then shot the guy in the head. That makes no sense. The way his head blew out the gunshot would've had to come from Juliette's torso, which it couldn't have. She blew out his brain with mind/hexenbiest magic whatevers.

I was half-expecting this episode would actually sort of make Juliette the big bad rescuer. IE the "tell them" bit would get obliterated because she'd woge in front of the "trial" and do something freaky-magical-scary and effectively save the day. And then they'd not only get out of the totally not plausible situation of being completely outnumbered, but also the secret would be gone and they could move on dealing from there. If this turns into some "when will she tell Nick" spiel like the promofairies have led us to believe, I will be sorely disappointed as I like my half-baked theory much better.

That said, I haven't given up hope the promos are just another completely absurd annoying misidirect. There's still a chance the next episode starts where this one left off and the next thing out of Juliette's mouth is something like telling Renard to get his mother now.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

Looks like we have two different theories here...Juliette blew the dude's brain out with her silent scream, or somebody else shot his brain pan out from behind.  Since the closed captioning did say there was the sound of a gunshot, the second theory has as much, if not more, plausibility than the first. I wish it had been made clearer.

I think it makes more sense that Juliette did it on her own. There was nobody else nearby to have shot him, she was alone and we see her walking in to rejoin Nick, Hank, Wu, Renard and Bud at the main carnage site. Then they wonder where Monroe and Rosalie are.

I don't think Wu saw anything, his scene in the trailer wasn't ominous, he looked more curious and passed right over the hexenbeist page.

I think Juliette used her screech (I can't call it a scream) to blow the back of his head off.

• Love 1
lol i know this will be the fangirls dreams   juliett becoming a hexenbeist  means nick has to kill her therefore no more juliett.  I hope this isn't the case i always seem to love the female characters that tend to be the most hated character on their respective hsow

I seem to follow that fate too. I love Juliette for the most part and over-empathized with Skyler White.  The only popularly disliked female character I also dislike is Katrina on Sleepy Hollow. 

I think Juliette as hexenbiest is a good move. I like that the Grimm writers seem to respond to fan opinion for the most part by subtly tweaking parts of the show that don't work. Besides the mostly boring first half of S2, I think Grimm has been pretty good to its fans. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 2

I liked the episode, but my dvr recording had a woman narrating the stage directions.

"in the aerostream trailor, Wu sits absent-mindedly munching on french fries..."

It also was a little bit ahead of the video, so tense moments like when Big Johnson (hehe) appeared at Bud's truck, I knew it was coming.

I have read here before that someone else experienced this weird narrator during one of last season's episodes.

• Love 1

I thought Juliette killed her opponent, and was glad to see it.  I actually like her.  I don't mind the actress and I think she's done the best she could with the stuff she's been given.  I'd like to see Juliette become a badass hexenbiest and own it.  If I were in her shoes, I'd see it as the best way she could survive in a wesen world.

Being a Wesen actually would be quite cool.  Let's face it.  We are all a little bored with being human these days.  But how depressing would it be to end up a pig?  I'd rather be the horrifying witch.  No one is afraid of a pig, although in RL they should be.  Pigs can be very scary creatures.

Kudos to Bud and the chiropractor line.  Loved it.

Also laughed a bit at Rosalee and Monroe pulling the throat out of the big bad.  It looked a little silly from a distance.

Renard is sex on a stick.  That is all.

• Love 3

I had no problem with Wu doing some reading in the trailer. I imagined Nick gave him the key and said: Go and read up, Hank and I are going to be out of town on bodyguard duty, so you need to take the wesen cases while we're gone.

The reason I think they really are going to shadow the honeymooners is that right before the big "we're looking forward to some alone time" scene at Monroe's and Rosalee's house, Nick and Hank had that little tete-a-tete about whether they were on the same page and serious about... something. Getting Nick and Hank out of town also makes it less outrageous that Juliette hasn't told them about her problem. I was really irritated that the promos implied she was hiding it, but if Nick really did leave immediately with Monroe and Rosalee, I can almost get over the idea that she hasn't spoken up, in the big rush, not wanting to derail the honeymoon yet again. And then Nick could come home and see her in his bed all woged (maybe because she's having a nightmare) and voila! Confusion. But mostly I think the promos are criminally deceptive, so all that goes with more than a pinch of salt.

I completely expected Bud to say, "Well, I fixed his refrigerator...." but i think it's kind of cool that the show decided not to go campy during the tribunal, and to take it 100% seriously. Bud showing his courage (not the first time, but one of the most extreme) was better than having him be evasive, even though I would have forgiven him if he had tried the evasive route in that particular situation.

I also expected Juliette to hex-out and do something battle-decisive during the round-up, and have everybody see it. It would be fun if, even if she eventually de-biests, the rumor around Portland is that the Grimm's not-wife is even scarier than the Grimm himself.

But I do buy that Nick would not have left town if he had known what was going on with Juliette, so they set it up for secrecy again. I really hope they don't draw it out, though.

Maybe Adalind and her royal escort show up while the rest of the gang is away, and Wu-Sean-Bud-Juliette deal with them on their own. That might be an interesting turn of events.

I think this show has often been best when it was a little campy or cheesy, so I didn't mind the "power walk"-- when they take themselves too seriously, it starts to be hard to swallow all the writing bloops.

I was annoyed by how long and bureaucratic the tribunal was, because it felt like they were simply stretching it out to give time for the team to show up and do the rescue. But then I was thinking about how bureaucratic the nazis were, and how sometimes bureaucracy does infuse a situation with evil and vice versa. So in the end, I thought it was an okay device. These people took themselves seriously, they were a vigilante hate group that thought of itself as doing the right thing, so they had to have trappings to uphold the air of legitimacy they wanted for themselves. It's creepy as hell, and yes-- convenient for the slowpoke cop end of the story-- but there's something about it that does make a sicko sort of sense.

If they had left Juliette behind when they went to fight, they would have been even more out-numbered. But also, how pathetic would that have made her look, as a character? The way she's written, she has never shied away from a fight, she has always been fierce in a battle and quick to react. I can't see her waiting in the car or sitting at home praying for good news. They had to include her. I can just imagine the outcry about how useless she was and why does Nick want to be with her and so on if all she'd done was go home and mope while everyone else picked up a weapon. Also, they just had Bad Cop say some of the haters were willing to die for their cause. Sending Juliette home safe in the next scene would not have looked good by contrast.

I liked that the sister was genuinely unaware of the hate group affiliation. Some of the most vile behavior is perpetrated by people who are nice to their loved one and those they for whatever reason consider "good." It made her seem a little naive, but it's also a fair characterization.

The saddest part of the whole thing is that Monroe was so easily kidnapped solely because he and Rosalee were concerned for the cops guarding their house, and he went out there to bring them some food. It's somehow much worse than a capture in a dark alley  or a full-face in the open direct assault.

ETA:

I favor the interpretation that Juliette blew her attacker's head off with her hexenbiest power, but I agree that the gunshot sound was confusing in that scene.

RE the narration of stage directions, I think that's a video description service designed for blind people (the way captions are for people with hearing issues). There must be a setting you can turn on or off to hear or not hear the narration? I'd love to hear what the narration says-- I didn't even know they were doing VDS (video description service) for this show (or any others on TV, though I've heard of it being available for some movies and live theater productions) but I think it's a great if they are-- but you need to be able to turn it on and off based on whether you want it or not!

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6

I totally bought Juliette going to Renard. If it were me - I'd be pretty freaked out at first...and then I'd be very upset at Renard's mom. After the Wesenrein nightmare, I'd give my boyfriend a break from the "freaky" and run straight to Renard - demanding to see his mom!

Also, Acker apparently had no problem with his (presumably) Bauerscwein (sp?) sister dating John the Eisbiber? Ah well.

I figure we must be in for some showdown with Juliette and Adalind after Rosalie had that line "Hexenbiests that are made are deadly than those that are born"...only, I wonder if Adalind, having lost her powers, would be considered a (re)born Hexen or a (re) made one? In any case, a season ended battle would make sense. Usually a good time to shake up the cast and kill off characters.

Oh, and Wu confronting Acker was pure Awesomeness! All that good cop/bad cop wasn't getting anywhere. I loved how he just was all bam-bam-bam with the questions...really the best way to catch someone in a lie...giving him no time to think and respond creatively...makes the lie just crumble all around him. Oh, and the "you're no Aswang" - Kinda emasculating..loved it!

• Love 2

Sorry promo monkeys, but this episode proved there are no consequences for any of the main, or even liked characters on this show.

While I'm glad neither Monroe nor Bud bit it, we had an arc where when all was said and done, nothing actually happened. Bad guydps get caught Scooby gang increases and Monroe and Rosalee go off on their honeymoon. For a show that started off with the consequences, consequences mantra, there sure don't seem to be any.

IMHO I think something, or rather someone is going to have to give for the season finale.

This was the best episode for SUCH a long time! 

--The Juliette character finally has something interesting to contribute.

--No Adalind & The Royals.

--Bud pulled himself together and made us proud.

--Monroe and Rosalee--perpetually mild mannered fuchsbau and bludbad--were FIERCE.

--Capt. Renard loosened up that top button for a minute or two.

Plus now we know why there are so many Wesen in Portland--all the mermaids and minotaurs are expected to marry within their own communities.  Hank and Wu might be the only humans left in the demographic.

P.S.  In context, it was really refreshing that the good guy didn't wind up dying because some smug little bad guy jerk smirked at the cops and tossed out the magic "lawyer" word.   I wasn't a fan of Elliot Stabler, but I'm onboard with Grimmsters.

• Love 1

I was kind of hoping we'd see the crocodile guy again.  Maybe Officer Acker was in the hate group because he really, really disliked John the Eisbeiber for some reason.

I liked Monroe's noble "last words" but they might have been more convincing to the Wesenrein if he hadn't said them with bits of their friend stuck in his teeth.

I liked Rosalee going for the "throat-rip" but it would've been cooler if she'd come up and spat out his windpipe. 

Still, this episode has made one thing very clear:

4swncxmwhj_by_johntfs-d8fa3zc.gif

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

Why does Nick want to kill her next week?

It could be a dream- but I don't think it is. I think he may think that Adalind turned herself into Juliette again. That's the ONLY reason I can think of why Nick would do that. Even if he'd find out that Juliette is a Hexenbiest, & if for some reason ingesting his blood wouldn't save her, I think he'd die trying to help her.

I just don't understand why Juliette is still not telling Nick about this! I'm guessing that she won't even tell Rosalee because I think Rosalee would push Juliette into telling Nick. Especially when she knows that Nick is the only person who can help her de-Hexenbiest. I don't know if Juliette likes these new powers or not. I don't even think she knows whether she likes them or not. When she blew the back of that Wesenrein guys head off, she seemed to like them. But when she's talking to Renard, she was mad. Maybe that's why she's keeping it from Nick- maybe she doesn't know if she wants rid of it.

• Love 1
--Capt. Renard loosened up that top button for a minute or two.

You know, this brings back memories... he wasn't always stuck on desk duty and taking phone calls. I remember him showing up during the organ harvesting episode, and shooting suspects like a cold-blooded sniper; he did it so casually, it was like he hardly was even paying attention. Then, there was that purification potion that made him rip off his shirt and breathe smoke. And how about the time he was coin-addled and dreaming about making speeches from his balcony? He also had a fair number of bloody confrontations in parking garages. He used to go into the field; he broke up the fight club and met secretly with a priest. He used to seem like a man with a hidden agenda. Now he just seems like a bureaucrat with distant family problems. It makes it all the more strange that all they could think of to do with him was have him say: "hurry" to his minions, and "not a good time" to his cell phone, for a season and a half. Even his big near-death storyline mostly consisted of him lying in his hospital bed, and receiving visitors, similar to him sitting in his office receiving reports from officers, and calls from home.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Finally got around to watching this. It was an OK episode, but I'm glad that the whole Wesenrein story is over (I hope) because we've had enough. Now unfortunately, we're going to have to go through another "WHERE IS MY BABY????" story with Adalind.

Why wouldn't Juliette tell at least Nick that she's a Hexenbeist? I get that she would go to Renard at some point because his mother did it, also, he's half Hexenbeist so he probably knows stuff about them, but why is she keeping it a secret from everyone? It makes no sense.

I am really worried about Wu. I think they're going to turn him into some kind of wannabe Grimm, & he's going to go around killing Wesens behind Nick's back.

• Love 1

Okay, what was the use of Renard sending out the skalengeck dude? 

Are they trying to make everyone not fully on-board the Scooby Love train just useless? I kept waiting for Renard operatives to bust out and try to take on Monroe's captors, or to have infiltrated for a surprise boost for Our Heroes, getting a great and in-character smug " You're welcome, Nick" because Renard can roll like that- smug yet still funny.

Having Renard send people out for information and not seeming to get said info to him is wasting fx, screen-time, and my patience. If  there was any lead not generated by the gang or Bud, I missed it. (Truly. If there was a throwaway line, say, when  Renard, Hank and Nick were narrowing down where folks worked and lived, I could have missed it.)  It's also a bad look for a potential Prince to  have an ineffective intel group. Odds are it will be a dropped thread from the storyline because Cool Moments!  

I am glad that Wu seems on-board and eager. I don't think he'll go like the intern from Season 2, the leech  guy, Ryan.  There might be other things Drew      has problems adjusting to now, but I don't think they'd take Wu down that path. At least, I hope not.

As for the books, I am not super worried. The books have made through non-librarian times before Marie, and I doubt that the other Grimms refused food and drink while they wrote. I think the books have been shown to have various marks of ink splotches, water, and potentially, blood. ( I can see a previous Grimm not waiting to clean-up and wanting to get their encounter down before the details fade.) Yes, care does need to be taken. I've been part of the 'digitize the books, Nick!' movement since it started.(I was very uneasy about the trailer in that easily accessed lot with a train-line running behind  it.)  

I liked the way that the story was essentially saying that opening relationships across all lines is a good step. Friendships and love relationships, can be better if all groups are included. Humans, wesen , Royal and Grimm worked to defeat an enemy to the city. Does it mean things are puppy kisses and rainbow roses? No, but that Nick's 'just wingin' it' style of Grimming  turned out better for all involved, except the truly bad folk. That we got to see and hear Monroe and Bud worry over and defend each other was wonderful and a positive example of Nick's influence. (Not that Monroe would hate Bud, but I doubt four years ago he'd see himself concerned over one eisbieber.) 

• Love 2

I drank coffee at midnight.  Hello, 4:30. 

1.  Juliette.  Okay, so seeing myself turn hexenbeist would be gnarly, but if my significant other and my best friends were magical beings, I'd want to be a magical being, too.

2. Wu.   I once heard the question:  if you put two balls into an empty bag and added two more balls and then the bag contained five balls, how long would it take you to accept the fact that the rules of physics had changed? 

Wu's doing a really good job with the change!

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

They gave the Wu In The Trailer scene enough screen seconds for it to be significant, but we don't yet know what that significance is. We don't even know if he's there because Nick told him to go catch up on Wessen lore, or if he lock-picked his way in. Casually eating seems to imply the former, but that could be because Nick has gone on a honeymoon with Monroe (sorry, I couldn't resist typing that), but some upthread have suggested that Nick and Hank were just kidding and didn't really go--which could be true. IDK.

I think they did go on the honeymoon and that's in part why Juliette went to Renard. She tried calling Nick, she tried telling Rosalee, but now they're all on the honeymoon, so she went to Renard.

They didn't go on the honeymoon. The next week's description literally says that Monroe and Rosalee finally go on their honeymoon while Hank and Nick investigate a case. It was a joke. They totally did it deadpan, but it was an obvious joke. There's no way they went on the honeymoon with Monroe and Rosalee.

So, no chance that Hank and Nick's case is at the place where Monrosalee are honeymooning? Because I would be happy with just those characters on my screen.
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't Juliette tell at least Nick that she's a Hexenbeist? I get that she would go to Renard at some point because his mother did it, also, he's half Hexenbeist so he probably knows stuff about them, but why is she keeping it a secret from everyone? It makes no sense.

So the doctor just told you that you probably have early-onset Alzheimer's and that your mind and memory will die over the next few years, leaving you a drooling wreck for your SO to care for.  Or you might have a minor blood clot that can be easily broken up with drugs with no real damage.  They've run tests but won't find out the results for a couple of weeks.  Do you tell your SO and let him/her ride that roller-coaster of hope and horror with you for the next couple of weeks or do you keep quiet, gut it out alone and only tell him when you know for sure?

The reason Juliette has become a hexenbiest is that she volunteered to be subject of the ritual to give Nick back his powers.  Is it Nick's fault that this has happened to Juliette?  No, not really.  Is he still likely to blame himself and his desire to regain his powers for this, sure he is.  Juliette knows him well enough to know he'll blame himself as well.  So, she's waiting to tell him until she gets an answer to the "Can I turn back into a human and if so, how?" questions and hoping there's a relatively simple answer.  People who love each other tend to try to spare each other pain or worry.  Juliette loves Nick, so she's trying to spare him this until she absolutely has to.

Okay, what was the use of Renard sending out the skalengeck dude?

It shows us all how seriously Renard is taking this situation.  He's not just acting as police Captain Sean Renard or even as Nick's friend/acquaintance.  Renard is using the full, if nebulous power of being the Secret Royal Prince of Portland to work on rescuing Monroe.

I will say that you shouldn't assume that the Prince aspect is over.  Note that Renard was careful to use the term "suicide" in his official public description of the Wesenrein.  It's very likely that those Wesenrein in custody are going to "hang themselves in their cells" fairly soon.  Renard had his own half-brother killed (presumably) for trying to kidnap Nick and starting those riots in Portland.  So what do you think he'll do to the shitstains who tried to terrorize the Wesen community he's placed under his protection?  Probably something painful and fatal.

• Love 9

People who love each other tend to try to spare each other pain or worry.  Juliette loves Nick, so she's trying to spare him this until she absolutely has to.

Yes, but wasn't she calling his cell quite early on, and then he said he was sending Rosalee and then she held off?  So she initially was inclined to tell him.  What changed that?  It's good to spare unnecessary worry, but also good to get the help of your closest ally.  And there is the danger to Nick and others part of the equation. 

I will say that you shouldn't assume that the Prince aspect is over.  Note that Renard was careful to use the term "suicide" in his official public description of the Wesenrein.  It's very likely that those Wesenrein in custody are going to "hang themselves in their cells" fairly soon.  Renard had his own half-brother killed (presumably) for trying to kidnap Nick and starting those riots in Portland.  So what do you think he'll do to the shitstains who tried to terrorize the Wesen community he's placed under his protection?  Probably something painful and fatal.

He mentioned in the press conference that there were signed confessions.  It would be interesting to see what they say.  And if anybody questions how unlikely it is that a secret hate society would all confess immediately.  I would expect silence, then possible cross-blaming at plea deal time.

Loved the "power walk" when our crew went to take care of business in the forest to save Monroe. Sure it was a little cheesy, but I like that the writers went there.

I loved the Big Damn Hero moment, which my non-HD TV ruthlessly cropped.  I saw Renard, half of Nick, and part of Juliette.

So the doctor just told you that you probably have early-onset Alzheimer's and that your mind and memory will die over the next few years, leaving you a drooling wreck for your SO to care for.  Or you might have a minor blood clot that can be easily broken up with drugs with no real damage.  They've run tests but won't find out the results for a couple of weeks.  Do you tell your SO and let him/her ride that roller-coaster of hope and horror with you for the next couple of weeks or do you keep quiet, gut it out alone and only tell him when you know for sure?

I would definitely tell him/her. For me, loving someone is not only being there when all is rosy and happy, but also being able to support each other when things are difficult. I would tell. And if it was my SO in such a predicament and if I learnt that he/she went through anguish and despair on his own without telling me, I would be awfully sad and disappointed, and I would really wonder what I mean to him/her and whether he/she trusts me or not. I think I would have even more pain and worry for my partner (and our relationship) if he/she told me after the facts.

So I'm also in camp  "Juliette should have told Nick now that Monroe is thankfully safe, instead of going to Renard" (or at least, she should have told both of them).

• Love 3

They didn't go on the honeymoon. The next week's description literally says that Monroe and Rosalee finally go on their honeymoon while Hank and Nick investigate a case. It was a joke. They totally did it deadpan, but it was an obvious joke. There's no way they went on the honeymoon with Monroe and Rosalee. 

Yeah, I really did think that was just teasing.  What are they going to do, go everywhere with Rosalee and Monroe from now on?  Oh, you're going to the grocery store?  Okay, we're coming with you!  Oh, you're going to the spice shop?  Okay, we're coming with you!  But I did think Nick and Hank were saying something about putting a watch on their house while they were gone, but I didn't quite catch that.

When the Weisenrein members were taking their masks off to "vote," I kept expecting one of them to be someone we knew.  That would have given it some extra impact.  But it was all just extras.  The closest we got was that one of them was Bud's chiropractor!

I would definitely tell him/her. For me, loving someone is not only being there when all is rosy and happy, but also being able to support each other when things are difficult. I would tell. And if it was my SO in such a predicament and if I learnt that he/she went through anguish and despair on his own without telling me, I would be awfully sad and disappointed, and I would really wonder what I mean to him/her and whether he/she trusts me or not. I think I would have even more pain and worry for my partner (and our relationship) if he/she told me after the facts.

So I'm also in camp  "Juliette should have told Nick now that Monroe is thankfully safe, instead of going to Renard" (or at least, she should have told both of them).

That's fine and you're probably right. That said, can you see that not telling someone to spare them is still a legitimate human response?  It's not like Juliette is going "Nuts, I'm a hexenbiest.  Okay, I better keep this secret from Nick so I can build a house out of pastries, lure children inside and then eat them."

• Love 4

Alzheimer's & blood clots don't turn you into a killing beast which you don't have much control over yet. Juliette hasn't woged in front of Nick yet, so she hasn't had the Wesen reaction to a Grimm. What if they have a normal couple kind of fight, she loses control & woges, has a Grimm reaction when she looks at him, & attacks Nick? What if the cashier at the supermarket pisses her off & she loses it there? This is more than a case of "roller-coaster of hope and horror", Juliette is a danger to everyone until she learns to control herself when she's a Hexenbeist. Nick absolutely needs to know NOW.

Not all wesen freak out when they see Nick's Grimmness. In "Chupacabra" the wife of the infected doctor woges while Nick is interviewing her and all she says, startled, is "You're that Grimm!" There have been others but I remember her because it was recent and coyotls are my favorite wesen so far.

Having lived with and loved Nick for years and having heard what it is wesen see when they look at Nick while woged, I doubt if she'll freak out. I would like the reveal over with soon, though.

• Love 1

I liked this episode, though is it just me or it felt kind of slow? I kept thinking okay lets get to the final fight scene, mainly because it seemed like they were dragging out the trial.

Fortunately, I'm used to "TV time", but it still bugged that the tribunal lasted for 6 days (or felt like it)!

• Love 1

Not all wesen freak out when they see Nick's Grimmness. 

No, but they've been wesen their entire lives. Juliette just became one. If you woke up one day & discovered that you could suddenly change into a mountain lion, would you know what to do once you changed? Even knowing what a mountain lion is, you still wouldn't know what being a mountain lion felt like.

There are arguments to be made either way whether or not you tell your loved ones that you might be dying.   

But specifically here, the damn promo monkeys made it seem that Juliette is not telling Nick because she thinks he will have to kill her then.   Which is damn unfair to the character they have established for Nick.   He does not just kill Wesen indiscrimintately.    He sees if there is a problem and then tries to find a solution that does not necessarily involve killing.    Remember spider lady?   She killed a lot of people.   But he arrested her instead.   There is absolute no reason to believe that Nick would go "Oh hey, the love of my life is a Hexenbeist, let me get an axe and kill her."   And Juliette should know that about him.   If she doesn't know her not husband well enough by now to know that, she clearly has not been paying attention.

As for the cover up of the massacre in the woods, I don't think they really need a cover story.    All they need to put out is that there was this weird cult that liked to kidnap and kill people.   We have no idea how they choose their victims or why.   We went to arrest them, some threatened us with weapons, we feared for our safety and acted in accordance with our training.   Done deal.   Well, except for the guy whose throat was torn out.   The ones in custody certainly aren't going to tell the truth about being wesen.   

• Love 2