Type keyword(s) to search

Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Full disclosure, I have been on 14 cruises so far in my life and I noticed at least one thing that was fake, fake, fake.  

The bridesmaids leaving the dresses in the hotel was fakey fake fake and probably Carnival was in on it too.  People, and their luggage, have to be on the ship 2 hours before departure so there is no way that this bag could just show up and get on the boat right before they were leaving.  

Also, I've been to Bermuda three times on cruises and it's always been 7 days; so if this cruise is 4 days the ship is going very fast, which is why so many were seasick.  

Bermuda's on the same latitude as South Carolina, so I assumed four days would be doable from NYC (albeit cutting it very close).

As for fake situations: The run-in between the Scotsmen and the Seattle girls looked staged (although I can certainly believe the lads knew jack shit about NKOTB). The Philly BFFs baffled me - how did they expect to successfully crash a VIP after-party (where the lucky guests will surely be in their best plumage) while wearing sweats from Wahlburgers? The "lonely cruiser" they roped in seemed to be a plant, too.

Bermuda's on the same latitude as South Carolina, so I assumed four days would be doable from NYC (albeit cutting it very close).

Correct.  But I've been to Bermuda on three different cruise lines and Bermuda's always 7 days from NYC.  I think Carnival is known for doing short, cheap cruises and since this is a fan cruise, they probably figure they'll make a shit load of money on drinks alone.  

I was totally into NKOTB back in the day. I must've been 14 or 15.On the one hand, this show really made me want to track down the girls I geeked out with. I've lost touch with all of them. On the other hand, this show made me sad. Sad for the guys because it seems like none of them were really able to get off the ground in their post NKOTB careers (except for maybe Donnie). Sad for the women who never grew out of it. Sad because I listened to Hangin Tough about 10 years ago and remember thinking it didn't stand up to the test of time.

When I see NKOTB now, the awe is gone.  I can't imagine screaming and following them around, and obsessing like the people on this show. Watching the women freak out after a hug or a kiss on the cheek ...well, I'm happy for them I guess because it means so much to them. But the guys seem almost robotic to me. The hugging, smiling, winking, etc seems so perfunctory. Like it's just habit, and their minds are elsewhere. Donnie kissed one of the women on the cheek and she was practically hyperventilating. I bet if you stopped Donnie in the hall five minutes after that, he wouldn't remember kissing anyone, let alone whether she was tall or short, dark, or fair. 

It's so odd watching this as an adult. I remember how much of a rush it all was when I was in middle school. And now when I see them, they are just...guys. Although I will admit I still remember Joe McIntyre's birthday (12/31/72). It was my locker combination for a couple of years. I still have that lock somewhere.

Honestly, sometimes I feel like the only reason Donnie's doing this is to keep his bandmates employed. He really has no reason to do it- he's doing pretty damn well. I came away from watching Wahlburgers and thinking that Donnie is actually a pretty nice guy who wants to help out his family and friends.

Joey McIntyre has had some success with acting, and he still looks pretty good.

Jordan Knight came off as a total douchebag on The Surreal Life.

The funny thing about Jonathan is that I remember, waaayyy back in the early 2000's, talking to someone online who told me they were talking online to some guy who claimed to Jonathan, and that he was really gay/bisexual. It'd be funny if they really were talking to Jonathan.

I think Jonathan is actually pretty-attractive.

• Love 1

As someone who was a fan in middle school and rediscovered them when they reunited, I can say that they really do put on a good show for the fans.  The smiling, hugging, kissing may be perfunctory and part of the job, but they seem to really appreciate their fans and go out of their way to make sure they have a good experience, which is why I think they've managed to keep so many fangirls.  Their shows have choreography, audience participation, awesome lights/sound, and a mix of old songs, new songs, and even some fan favorite covers.  They are dancing the entire time and sing live, which can't be easy for forty-something guys.  I have been to a lot of concerts over the years, and I can honestly say that their concerts rank in the top 5 (of the shows I've seen) for performance value. 

I don't think they reunited because Donnie wanted to give his bandmates a job.  They had actually been approached multiple times about doing a reunion, and they always declined.  I remember that show back in 2004 called Bands Reunited even tried to get them to get together for one concert, and they refused. 

I do think that the selection of fans that they picked is basically right on the money. The only other group that is under-represented is the parent/child group. At the 2 concerts I went to, I saw a LOT of moms with their kids who were second generation New Kids fans.  It's probably harder to find on the cruise due to age limit issues.

• Love 1
On the other hand, this show made me sad. Sad for the guys because it seems like none of them were really able to get off the ground in their post NKOTB careers (except for maybe Donnie). Sad for the women who never grew out of it.

See, I don't find it sad.  Most people in the music business don't have 20 year careers.  These guys still have fangirls who are willing to go on a fan cruise.  I think that's pretty amazing.  As for the women, they all have moved on and have lives separate from NKOTB.  I think it's sweet that they're going on this cruise, away from the husbands and kids, to hang out with their girlfriends and other fans.  It's like being a teenager again, before you had things like husbands, children, jobs, responsibilities.  

It's probably harder to find on the cruise due to age limit issues.

Maybe this particular fan cruise has a "no one under 18" policy?  

Those pick-up artists really made my skin crawl (I hope their would-be victims were plants!). I like my nostalgia happy and carefree, not served up with rapey vibes, thanks.

This show just isn't a good advertisement for the NKOTB Cruise - the viewers are getting as much time with the Kids as the passengers (which is to say, not much at all).

• Love 1

Yikes, that woman who flashed Danny.  WTF was her problem?  Did she think her breasts were so great that he'd just give her a pass to the afterparty?  I don't blame her for crying though, she must have felt like a fool.  

This show is awful! I guess I'm the only one still watching.

So, the Splendor finally got to Bermuda, and it was a completely NKOTB-free episode. I get that this cruise is a mainly a bonding experience for women, but I don't care about seeing the cruisers go on their various excursions.

I was mildly amused that the passenger who called the bikini sisters "anorexic whores" had her face and her tattoo blurred. I wonder if she was a (reluctant) plant.

I wanted to watch last night but my "on demand" was messed up. So they finally got to Bermuda. This is the longest reality show about the shortest cruise to Bermuda that I've ever seen. To me, this show is like a commercial for Carnival.

ETA One day in Bermuda? Talk about cheap. Most cruise lines give you two or three days there. That dock is where all the big ships go.

Edited by Neurochick

That one lady who took to her bed because she flashed Danny and he didn't like it? Give me a break. She was in her room weeping like the world was ending "oh no, Danny thinks I'm a terrible person, he's so upset." Not hardly. He was irritated when it happened, and he was probably over it moments later. Danny is a 40 something year old man. He's seen plenty of boobies. It was very interesting how the editing cut from her weeping about showing her chest to Danny on the Leto deck teasing the ladies with a glimpse of his chest, encouraging the women to howl for it, before ripping off his tank top and flexing like he's God's gift. By the time he received her weepy video, he'd probably forgotten all about her.

Did anyone else think it was weird when one of the cows got to dance with Jordan and she just stared him dead in the eye, unsmiling the whole time? She seems like a perfectly nice lady, but in that moment, the look in her eye was creepy. 

Did anyone else think it was weird when one of the cows got to dance with Jordan and she just stared him dead in the eye, unsmiling the whole time? She seems like a perfectly nice lady, but in that moment, the look in her eye was creepy. 

Yes!

The lady who took to her bed because she flashed Danny, made me laugh.  I mean she fucked up her entire vacation, she missed Bermuda and stayed in bed, because she was so ashamed of what she'd done to Danny.  

I'm surprised none of her friends sat down and told her some brass facts.  I'm sure she's not the first woman to flash Danny.  The only reason Danny walked away was because he manager told him to, you see him turning to the manager when she flashed herself.  Walking away was the smartest thing for him to do, what should he have done, said, "nice boobs?"  Any reaction from him would have caused some kind of scene, either every woman there would have flashed him, or would have said what a jerk he was if he said something nasty.  

The girl dancing with Jordan looked strange while she was dancing with him, I assumed she was drunk.

• Love 1

That one lady who took to her bed because she flashed Danny and he didn't like it? Give me a break. She was in her room weeping like the world was ending

Her video was insane!  You would think she punched a child or something.  That constant crying and hiding in her room was too much.  I'm sure Danny barely registered the entire incident because you can't tell me on that cruise ship full of drunk women that she was the only one to show her tits to a New Kid.  I imagine it happens several times an hour. 

I wish there were more episodes.  I think tonight is the finale.   

I wish there were more episodes.  I think tonight is the finale.   

Nope, next week.

Danny going to see crying Amanda was lame.

Donnie officiating the wedding, and Joey walking Danielle down the aisle was sweet.

No Jordan or Jonathan = :(

I watched an episode of this show (the finale episode) because one of my coworkers went on the cruise and I wanted to try to spot her.  How much do people pay for this?  And honestly, how many fans even get an interaction with the band?

I have a feeling that cruise really isn't that expensive.  It's only 4 days and Carnival is known for their cheap cruises.  

However, I have a feeling that Carnival makes a shitload of money from this cruise, especially on the alcohol sales.  You don't pay for food but you do pay for booze on most cruises (unless you buy a drink package and most people probably wouldn't do that for only 4 days).  Carnival probably takes a percentage of the NKOTB merchandise that they were selling on the ship.  Carnival probably doesn't even pay a huge port fee to dock in Bermuda, since they only stay there a few hours (most cruise ships stay in Bermuda for two or three days).  

I have a feeling that the fans profiled probably had their cruise paid for in exchange for being filmed 24/7.

I can't imagine having any contact with the band with all those fans aboard, but I have a feeling it's more about socializing with other fans and partying than really having intimate contact with the band.  

I have been on a fan cruise but it was 7 days, on a smaller ship, and the entire boat wasn't filled with fans.

Here's info on this year's cruise (leaving from Miami in October). Prices are only listed for what's still available (most cabins are already sold out), but from what I see, it looks expensive for a four-night sail on Carnival (about $1,000 per guest, and no, booze and sodas aren't included).

The closest non-charter cruises I can find that stop in Grand Turk from Miami (on the same ship - Victory - and also in October) start at $558, and that's for five nights, with an additional stop either in the Bahamas or the Dominican Republic. But you don't get "2 DAYS AT SEA TRAPPED WITH NKOTB!"

Interesting that they're leaving from Miami (that's why they're going to Grand Turk).  Wonder why they left from NYC last year (probably don't want to pay the port fees this year as NYC is more expensive than Miami).

But $1,000 is a lot for just 4 days and just one island.  As I said, the Carnival makes a killing on these cruises (and booze and sodas are never included).

I casually mentioned to my husband, that the Disney Star Wars cruises were starting next year, and his reaction was as follows:

"No, no, no! You would probably get me on some reality show and ruin my life.  I would get drunk and flash Chewbaca."

I can't stop laughing!

• Love 2

I didn't realize there was even a thread for this. 

I was on this cruise.  And to say that people hated it when we found out is an understatement.  We were TOTALLY against it.  And the staging of events was a big reason why.   The people trying to "crash" the after party?  I saw the camera crew setting that up as I was going in.  The Scots?  HAVE been on the cruise before (but the douchiness is correct.) The rumour as to why we sailed out of New York was flying the equipment down to Miami which was our normal port would have cost 10K.  

If anyone has questions, I'll gladly answer though I have shut a lot of it from memory.  The cruise is leaving out of New Orleans but I'm not going this year.  The 2015 cruise left a very sour taste in my mouth. 

Maybe this particular fan cruise has a "no one under 18" policy?

Before 2012, kids were allowed on the boat, but the kids activities were shut down.  There was one incident on the last night a woman was dancing about in the jacuzzi on the lido deck...and left her 3 year old kid sleeping in a stroller nearby.  At 3 AM.  EVERYONE noticed.  Now the policy is 16 years and up. 

• Love 1