Type keyword(s) to search

Rhonda Lyon: Bib Before Bob

Congo
  • Start Topic

Entertainment Weekly refers to her as the EWW (Evil White Wife) in their recaps. I definitely think Rhonda is definitely a dangerous power player and one to watch. No one outside of her husband seems to know how ambitious she is, and she definitely carries Andre's balls in a little purse.

On top of that, she's very efficient. She may be in rollers and dressed in expensive, difficult to clean clothes, but that does not stop her from pleasuring her man. A drawer of bibs! You might even call her "brilliant". 

• Love 1

In the comments on Tom and Lorenzo's recap, there was some discussion of whether the bib represented some kind of adult baby fetish.  What kills me about this show is that it's only episode 2 and that wouldn't even shock me at this point.

I did like that moment between Cookie and Rhonda at the photoshoot.  Made you realize how frightening it would be if they legit joined forces. 

• Love 2

In the comments on Tom and Lorenzo's recap, there was some discussion of whether the bib represented some kind of adult baby fetish.  What kills me about this show is that it's only episode 2 and that wouldn't even shock me at this point.

I did like that moment between Cookie and Rhonda at the photoshoot.  Made you realize how frightening it would be if they legit joined forces. 

I didn't get a baby fetish from it -- there were no nappies or binkies or the like.  I got that this was a woman who was used to "servicing" her husband while she may already be dressed and who wanted to avoid a Lewinsky.

After last week's "All white women are smart, even when they're not", Cookie's "she actually is smart" was fun.  Rhonda is perhaps closer to the Prince of France than anything.  Cookie's comment is right in line with Henry's "He's better at this than I thought he'd be."

• Love 2

I didn't get a baby fetish from it -- there were no nappies or binkies or the like.  I got that this was a woman who was used to "servicing" her husband while she may already be dressed and who wanted to avoid a Lewinsky.

After last week's "All white women are smart, even when they're not", Cookie's "she actually is smart" was fun.  Rhonda is perhaps closer to the Prince of France than anything.  Cookie's comment is right in line with Henry's "He's better at this than I thought he'd be."

No, I didn't think it was a baby fetish either -- the simplest explanation is that Rhonda didn't want to mess up her blouse -- only making the comment that if any show were going to go there I wouldn't put it past Empire at this point (or SVU).

• Love 1

Rhonda?! Wha?

Hey, if she's cool, and keeping everyone disease-free since whenever? Keep doing it!   I hope this ends up a positive portrayal of  one unconventional marriage.

What kind of freaked me out a little was that, by dialogue, it seems that she knows who these other sexytime women are and what they like. I don't think I could be ... that sharing.

• Love 1

With last night's episode, I officially like them as a couple.  I can't wait for what we learn next about them.  Exhibition & Voyeurism?  D/s (with him being the sub)?

And yeah, I think it would be kind of interesting to see Rhonda and Cookie form a relationship that wasn't necessarily based around the Lyon struggle for power but as a recognition of one kinda of predator to another.

What would be really amazing for Rhonda, as a character, is that despite the "pedigree" of an Ivy League education, she has no interest in Empire, the label. That is Andre's want and she'll be happy to work with him to that goal, but she's fine being a photographer and doing her thing.

If the show wants to be soapy a bit, then last night with Ms. Alvarez was needed. It showed that Andre is not the classic husband type, i.e. monogamous, or monogamous and cheats in secret.  It also showed that Rhonda seems to be okay with this baseline as well as Andre, so that's actually a good thing. When there's a kink that Rhonda, or to be fair Andre, isn't expecting down the road? Drama will ensue. We will understand that the agreement- spoken or not- will have been broken and I'll be interested as to what comes next.

I'm about as non-kink as they come, but what Rhonda and Andre have doesn't seem like something to be condemned, really. As long as all parties know what's what. I just am slow enough that I'd like something about how Rhonda actually feels to be stated in some fashion.  Like she's okay with the kink but not the other women; just something definitive. I can't read her as a puppet-master, as I've read in other threads, if she's fine having sex with her man whenever, wherever she can in ways she's okay with.

Plus? Being considered rabbits by her father-in-law is keeping Andre in the running for his goal. (Maybe there is some underlying dislike of Lucious on her part, knowing she has to be extra-vigilante over meds and such? That would be an amazing scene between Lu and Rhonda!)

I really to see more of Rhonda and her relation status with the other Lyons other than Andre. Does Lucious like her? Cookie seems cool with her but is also wary. Rhonda and Anika seem civil to each other but not exceptionally close based on their interaction in the most recent dinner scene.

• Love 1

I think Rhonda is cordial to the others, respectful to Lucious, and genuinely loves Andre.

Still, I'd like to know if Rhonda's photography is wholly her own or if she has help in an Empire Records shaped account. It would make her, imo, more interesting if she's set and doesn't need the cash. That she is down for Team Andre no matter. I think Rhonda may be the closest Cookie-substitute between Andre and Hakeem.

Unfortunately, Rhonda doesn't get time this episode to deal with Lucious' news; Team Andre needs it's coach and team doctor. I hope we get to have a scene where Rhonda is allowed to feel her feels about everything. She may be brilliant, but lord, it has to be tiring- the plotting, her business, his business, his health, his family, now Lucious' health and the emotional fallout from that. We don't have any idea of Rhonda's family, do we? Or did it get lost in an infodump earlier on?

• Love 1

We don't have any idea of Rhonda's family, do we? Or did it get lost in an infodump earlier on?

Well, the rich dude said she was his daughter's college roommate, I think? And Rhonda made a reference to being in awe of their home the first time she visited. So I'm guessing her background is not wealthy, anyway.

• Love 2

The Fox website has a section called the Lyons' Den where they profile characters. Here is the bit on Rhonda: NYC Power Couple to Watch: Andre and Rhonda Lyon

Here's the bit specifically about her background:

His gorgeous wife, on the other hand, has slightly more inscrutable origins. Rhonda won’t say much about her hometown, except that it’s “definitely south of the Mason-Dixon line.” (She carries no trace of a Southern accent, a clear sign that she’s worked hard to reinvent herself.) “I scratched and clawed and worked three jobs in high school so I could make it to the Ivy League,” she says, proudly.
  • Love 2

Still, I'd like to know if Rhonda's photography is wholly her own or if she has help in an Empire Records shaped account. It would make her, imo, more interesting if she's set and doesn't need the cash.

I don't think she needs the cash.  The article loveigniting posted above seems to imply that they are two separate companies that did partner together later.  She also could've worked at Empire if she wanted to but chose to go a different path.  Although it seems that something might've happened where she worked in the summer and the company Andre used to work at before Empire.  I'm wondering if that'll be brought up in the future.

• Love 1

loveigniting, thanks to the link! Fun article, in that there are about four big threads dropped to keep an eye out for in future episodes.

*Who was Rhonda's "ladies' man musician" boss? Please let us know, show!! It doesn't have to be a real person, just a fun actor/ actor-musician! Someone to make Becky and Portia go 'Damn!'

*They have a circle of friends--can we see more than the parents of said friends? 

*The Connecticut blue-blood ex--please let him have to do business with Empire. Maybe as a potential investor? Maybe as someone buying shares after the IPO goes off? 

*Rhonda is hiding her "definitely south of the Mason-Dixon line" heritage--tell us why!! 

I love the show to pieces, and I know there's only so much that can get covered. I just hope, since we have a season 2 go-ahead, that Andre and Rhonda can get some storyline love and explore them- and her- a bit more.  And maybe one more appearance by The Bib. *g*

I believe that when one signs on to play Go Fish, there are rules as to how that is played.

Likewise, when you have a trusting relationship with a spouse/significant other, there are things that are agreed to by both parties.  That if there are to be variancies, there will be a discussion. It is polite.

Tonight, Andre broke trust with Rhonda. I cannot get angry with her for her response to being almost fed to someone old enough to be her granddad. I can't believe that Andre was wondering why Rhonda was upset. Just because she was nominally okay with the attractive board member being the focus of potential flirting/ something more, does not mean that Rhonda was okay not getting a say on the geezer hubby.

Just because their relationship is not "standard", does not mean that Rhonda should get no sympathy for an assy business move that Andre sprung on her with no talk until they were at the house. And by talk, I mean, " Hey, the husband is down too." 

Also, Rhonda tried to keep a decent, though sloshed, face on the situation. She didn't give away Lucious' ALS condition. She didn't start giving Andre ultimatums or swearing whatever in anger. She registered her opinion of what he set her up for, which was reasonable. Andre broke their rules.

She was aware of what was going on with him at the party. The way she rolled her eyes at his juvenile drinking of the champagne told lots. I hope she finds out about the gun. Is there anyone in "the family" she trusts? Vernon, maybe?

• Love 4

I believe that when one signs on to play Go Fish, there are rules as to how that is played.

Likewise, when you have a trusting relationship with a spouse/significant other, there are things that are agreed to by both parties.  That if there are to be variancies, there will be a discussion. It is polite.

Tonight, Andre broke trust with Rhonda. I cannot get angry with her for her response to being almost fed to someone old enough to be her granddad. I can't believe that Andre was wondering why Rhonda was upset. Just because she was nominally okay with the attractive board member being the focus of potential flirting/ something more, does not mean that Rhonda was okay not getting a say on the geezer hubby.

Just because their relationship is not "standard", does not mean that Rhonda should get no sympathy for an assy business move that Andre sprung on her with no talk until they were at the house. And by talk, I mean, " Hey, the husband is down too." 

Also, Rhonda tried to keep a decent, though sloshed, face on the situation. She didn't give away Lucious' ALS condition. She didn't start giving Andre ultimatums or swearing whatever in anger. She registered her opinion of what he set her up for, which was reasonable. Andre broke their rules.

She was aware of what was going on with him at the party. The way she rolled her eyes at his juvenile drinking of the champagne told lots. I hope she finds out about the gun. Is there anyone in "the family" she trusts? Vernon, maybe?

I wonder if Andre knew all along that it was the hubby that was the true seduction target. 

• Love 1
*Rhonda is hiding her "definitely south of the Mason-Dixon line" heritage--tell us why!!

We're pretty sure she doesn't come from money, if she had to work multiple jobs to put herself through college. My guess is that her family are the kind of poor white folks who are bigots because their whiteness is their only claim to feel superior to someone. There may even be a Ku Klux Klansman or two there. Marrying a Black man would be the ultimate sin and betrayal of their core values. Rhonda would therefore equate the South with a racism that she doesn't share. She probably is an outsider in her own family for going to college, losing her accent, and marrying outside "her kind." So she would have a lot in common with Andre that way.

You know - I almost agree with this - except for one thing. When Andre came to her about the blonde, there was a split second with Rhonda's back to Andre where she had the faintest appearance of disquiet and upset. She masked it quickly and then turned and went full tilt make out session with her husband to mask it.

Rhonda is NOT okay with their games at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the show will probably illustrate that she did what she had to do to snag Andre and appearing "down" for him and his twisted games was how she managed to land him. I wonder if the show will ever bring on a former love interest of Andre's who wasn't down for that foolishness and possibly illustrate that Rhonda proved to him that she was.

But now that it's getting too real for her - she kinda wants to back out of it.

The stuff you do to land a man is the SAME stuff you have to KEEP doing to hold onto the man.

I liked Rhonda and Andre last week - but this week I saw what I thought we would eventually see - that Rhonda really isn't down for Andre's reindeer games.

She's more than welcome to state her views, but he's also more than welcome to call her out for a bait and switch.

• Love 1

You know - I almost agree with this - except for one thing. When Andre came to her about the blonde, there was a split second with Rhonda's back to Andre where she had the faintest appearance of disquiet and upset. She masked it quickly and then turned and went full tilt make out session with her husband to mask it.

There was a split second when Rhonda caught Andre on the phone with Deputy DA Alvarez where she seemed unhappy, too. Rhonda may have very mixed feelings about many aspects of her open marriage. 

• Love 4

As much as I felt badly for her, I'd much rather Rhonda calling the shots w/r/t Andre's mental and emotional health. Triple especially if the alternative is freaking Lucious!

Rhonda was not looking  at Lucious as any kind of 'WTF, dude' but with resignation, imo, as she's had time to see how her father-in-law works. Clean hands again, Lu. Fancy that. ( Also what the everlovin' poo was the EMT asking the head of the business for a signature instead of the spouse? Just because the Lyons are "known" as artists and celebrity gossip, I somehow find that outside of business magazine pieces are Andre and Rhonda really considered celebrities. Maybe I'm being cruel to the EMT that is squirreling away for his own business, but...)

Yeah that part was weird - the EMT should have asked the wife - unless he just didn't know that was his wife?

I felt badly for Rhonda in this scene - I've never doubted that she loves Andre.

• Love 3

I assumed that they didn't know that Rhonda was Andre's wife. I assume that Lucious called them and told them on the phone that Andre is his son. So that's why they asked for his signature.

• Love 1