Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Let's Go Home

Yeah, it was pretty stupid.   a real-life mom, in Julia's position, would have called "One minute!"  or "go in the kitchen, I'll be there in a minute" - you know TAKING CHARGE and telling the kid the terms of the conversation.  Normal parents have no problem telling kids when and where a conversation will take place, rathere than giving in to a child insisting on coming into the parents' room. 
But - the producers wanted to do the "cute"  (bleh!)  guy-hiding-under-the-bed cliche.  

But they updated it for the texting era! (even if Joel was "comedically" inept at turning off or silencing his phone).

Which makes me wonder, do moms other than Bravermoms let their kids just grab their phone and start blasting out texts w/o asking?

I need the writers to know that Sydney is not cute. She's completely obnoxious and entitled.  They also prop her up at the expense of Victor which is really, really annoying. 

I rolled my eyes so hard at that because It's so easy to silence an iPhone. It's probably the first thing Joel would have done. You don't even have to go into settings to do it.  And no one other than my husband knows the password to get into my phone but I am not a parent. 

• Love 2

I think it's great that Lauren Graham hasn't dieted herself down to some distracting weight and then pumped her hollowed cheek bones full of collagen BUT DUDE, she looks bad.

It's not even age or it doesn't read as age.  Her neck looks thick.  Is she ill?  She always looks she's has some kind of hormone problem.

I noticed this during the episode too and i think it's interesting that so many of us noticed it as well.  I by no means am saying that Lauren Graham looks bad, because she doesn't but it was just kinda like a "wow, did she gain weight?" type of reaction. 

Maybe it was the hiatus and seeing her for the first time in awhile.

I'll be sad when this ends!! I'll likely be bawling at during the finale. 

It reminds me of the other show about the family in CA who had the winery..... for the life of me I can't recall the name of the show and their story lines started to get ridiculous but I was sad when it ended. 

As someone noted last week, I really, really thought that it would be revealed this week that Peter Krause engineered the Luncheonette break-in for the insurance money (can't believe more people didn't think this!). He seemed so blasé about the whole thing. I guess that was just supposed to be his relief that now he had an excuse to bail. But now...he's back in? I'm having panic attacks FOR him imagining him paying for Haddie's tuition, Snowflake Academy, Nora...

• Love 1

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. It was just very pleasant and we actually got to see all the main characters. I loved hank helping out Amber and him getting the yes. I loved max and hank hanging out. I even like the Joel/Julia resolution even though it was way too easy. 

The way this show is being written, I predict that it WILL be Zeke who dies. but first, he has to make sure that everything is in order - sarah gets married to Hank, Julia and Joel get back together, amber has her baby, Crosby magically finds a way to keep the business going, Adam figure out what the hell his role is, and once everyone's problems are settled, Zeke feels that his work is done, and he declines the life-saving surgery, ends up dying. Everybody cries, but they're happy because he figured out solutions to ALL their problems before dying.

I think you're right. And I will not be responsible for what happens to my innocent teevee when all that dreck goes down.

It reminds me of the other show about the family in CA who had the winery..... for the life of me I can't recall the name of the show and their story lines started to get ridiculous but I was sad when it ended..

Falcon Crest?

This show is starting to make Falcon Crest look like a subtle and moving show.

I can't imagine wasting my time hate watching anything. But different strokes, and all that.

I see your point - I know I could easily NOT watch this show, but once I'm sort of interested/invested in a show, I tend to stick with it and it's maddening to see what (to me) is a drastic decline in quality. What got me into the show were nuanced, realistic but still gripping storylines, and relatable, flawed and very believable characters. I get cheesed off when I show I thought had such promise devolves into melodramatic, after school special, anvil-laden tripe. And I have nowhere else to complain except here (this is sort of like a book group for me, except I can drink all the wine myself) ;)

As annoying as Max is I think the writers have made Drew very annoying as well. All the wounded puppy scenes with this kid- GAH! Every time that poor kid shows up I feel like there's a emo sound track following him.

LOL - I know! Well, who knows, maybe those awful 80s emo covers from Grey's Anatomy can be repurposed....maybe the show ends with Drew walking in to an acoustic guitar/warbled version of "Funky Town?"

*Haaaallp! I can haz quote boxes?? They've gone wild! Sorry!

Edited by stacey
  • Love 5
I see your point - I know I could easily NOT watch this show, but once I'm sort of interested/invested in a show, I tend to stick with it and it's maddening to see what (to me) is a drastic decline in quality. What got me into the show were nuanced, realistic but still gripping storylines, and relatable, flawed and very believable characters. I get cheesed off when I show I thought had such promise devolves into melodramatic, after school special, anvil-laden tripe. And I have nowhere else to complain except here (this is sort of like a book group for me, except I can drink all the wine myself) ;)

Absolutely!  It's like reading a book or watching a movie, and you KNOW the cliched way it's going to go, but you can't just leave it alone, you have to get to the end to have closure to the story.  

• Love 4

Good thing Joel has the same ring-tone as Julia on their text messages.  I don't have the same as my husband.  I'm glad they finally talked things out more.  Nothing till waiting till they were really on the brink of divorce though.

I thought Jasmine was fine with asking Adam to just reconsider keeping the Luncheonette open, to look at the numbers again to be sure.  And Kristina should be glad of that because if Adam got some other 9-5 job, he probably wouldn't be able to leave said job at a moment's notice to go pick up lunches at Whole Foods, or come over to cook at Snowflake Academy.

Zeke was an asshole again in seeing what torment he put Drew through and never apologizing once.  And does Zeke really think that those kids are going to really know who Reggie Jackson was (assuming they could read the signature)?  And presuming that is a valuable ball (I have no idea, yes Reggie Jackson great ball player, but still, eh), really allow strangers to have it instead of your own great-grandchild?

• Love 2

Okay, I just watched this today while I was cooking dinner, which means I reserve it for a show that doesn't need my full care or attention. And that makes me sad because Parenthood used to be major destination television for me, but somewhere in the last few years, the show has lost A LOT of its way. Not ALL of its way or I would have simply given up (I'm looking at you, White Collar). But still -- for a show that started with such promise and has such a talented cast -- I feel like it's going out with a whimper.

A couple of things that stand out to me:

I'm willing to buy Joel and Julia getting back together. Now that Joel no longer seems to be possessed by an alien spirit and Julia is doing more than barking orders, I can believe that they should stay together and will make it work. I don't despise Sydney as many do, as I see her as a fundamentally insecure kid who has had her life turned upside down multiple times: coffee lady's baby that didn't come through, a brother who came into the family older than her and needed a lot of extra attention, a self-absorbed and ultimately depressed mother, and a father who left the family. Kid has a reason or two to be messed up. But she broke my heart!! when you could see her joy at her parents getting back together. That's every kid's dream if their parents have broken up. So Julia and Joel: don't fuck this up. It's not just about you.

I'm fine with Sarah and Hank, though I sure as hell wouldn't want to be Ruby's stepmother.

Zeek continues to be an ass of epic proportions, which has, in fairness, been a consistent characterization. His conversation with Drew practically made my head blow off (and I had a knife, as I was cutting up veggies for stir fry).

Amber is beyond unprepared for parenthood. Does she have a job? Plans? Has it just now occurred to her that she will be a single parent? Is she communicating with Ryan at all? I love Mae Whitman, but the writing for this storyline has been sadly lacking.

And finally Max. Always at the end of the day, Max. He doesn't behave like someone with autism, he behaves like someone who is a complete and total jackwad. I don't get the portrayal AT ALL. I don't get that every damn character on the show just writes off his rude, arrogant, frankly frightening behavior as "Oh, he's autistic." WTF. Really. If this is really the message that Autism Speaks wants to get across -- that all autistic people are intractable assholes -- well, then, WOW. That's a scary narrow-minded, uneducated message.

I don't want anyone to die. But if they kill off a young character a la Thirtysomething, then I am going to be hella pissed.

Give me a reasonably happy ending, Parenthood, and I will be willing to part on amicable terms.

Edited by Gardencrown
  • Love 3

Accidentally, on purpose?  I've been thinking the same.

On the one hand, the subconscious is a powerful thing. He could have been careless as a subconscious expression of his frustration and resentment of the situation. On the other hand, what target-of-opportunity thieves have the desire and the ability to clean out a whole bunch of vintage sound equipment? 

If it was a fairly professional job, and they do replace all that stuff, they would be at risk to be cleaned out again in short order unless they also beef up their security. 

Ray Romano's voice has bothered me for as long as I've seen him on television.  For some reason it's WORSE on this show.  Wha' happened?  I'm also not a fan of the character, so maybe it's all in my head (instead of my ears).

• Love 1

I don't think it's all in your ears or your own headbone, Former Nun. Ray Romano's voice does, I find, have a certain guttural quality -- not exactly in the vocal fry range, but something similar; he uses a small range of pitch in speaking, and it seems to me that range has been deliberately shortened even more for the portrayal of Hank. Hank's also kind of a mumbler. (Although as I get older, I realize my grandmother was right all those years ago: it's not that my hearing is declining, it's just that everyone else mumbles.)

• Love 1

All this talk about Lauren Graham....In this episode, I, too, noticed that she's looking more bloated in the face, but in the last episode, I noticed the same thing about Peter Krause. Compare him now to the shot of him in the opening credits. I understand that aging happens.

I wish more shows would go the route of Downton Abbey and Doc Martin and only show a handful of shows each year instead of beating dead horses year in and year out. These shows go on too long and grow stale a few season before someone pulls the plug on them. I started watching The Gilmore Girls recently but have quit in the middle of Season 4. The show really sucks at this point. I can't believe that there are three more seasons beyond this one.

As for Kristina stepping in....in my mind she did so because at one point, Adam was saying he was happy to be ridding himself of the Luncheonette and then suddenly, he's all in. In her shoes, I would be concerned that he might be falling on his sword for Crosby, or that members of the family pressured him, so I, too, would've quizzed him about his change of heart.

Hank is my favorite character. I like how he's developed an awareness for what should be despite it not coming natural to him. I think the plot twist that disgusts me the most (besides Sarah's many successful careers) is Amber's pregnancy. Is there going to be a whole bunch more drama involved with her delivery? I hope not. Except for the fact that I wouldn't have known Hank, I think this show could've ended nicely on the last show of the season when Victor was officially adopted.

The show really sucks at this point. I can't believe that there are three more seasons beyond this one.

It's so easy to watch this show on the DVR because I can fast-forward through many scenes (like Zeke and Drew...OY!).   They start talking and I add, "Blahblahblah," as I fast-forward, not missing anything involving storylines.  Three more seasons?  That. Cannot. Be.