Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Critics Choice Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So delighted for Maria. She’s so sweet.

And agree I like the set up for this a lot more than the Globes. Awkward Gillian Anderson interview aside it’s pretty polished so far. 

OMG, little Alan Kim's speech was just about the sweetest thing ever. You'll be seeing that all over the place. He made me cry.  So mad I switched my pick from him to Helena Zengel.

Sorry, I just never like Taye DIggs as a host.

Loving all the clips though.

• Love 1

Critics Choice Live Telecast Rescheduled For March 13, Same Date As BAFTA Film Awards; Might Be Major Conflict For Some Nominees
By Pete Hammond   January 13, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/01/critics-choice-awards-new-date-bafta-conflict-1234909736/ 

After being felled by the still-raging Omicron variant, the Critics Choice Awards have announced its new date, Sunday March 13 — which also happens to be the same date as the BAFTA Film Awards in London. The CCAs will air live on the CW Network and TBS from 7-10 p.m. ET in a broadcast honoring both film and television and coming from its new home at the Fairmont Century Plaza Hotel in Century City. It also will air in many countries throughout Latin America, Europe, and Asia.

This presents an unprecedented collision for certain film nominees who are up for both awards. (BAFTA’s final list won’t be released until February 3, but its just-announced longlists share many of the same names as CCA’s nominees). It is a ticklish situation to be sure, but both sides are trying for the best solution under the circumstances, I am told, and the idea of a satellite hookup in Los Angeles and London for nominees on both ends has been floated.

Edited by tv echo

I know the critics choice is. one of the lesser awards but I am strangely proud of myself that I watched 4 of the tv horror category and I am perfectly ok of any of the 4 I watched win.  (Even though the odds on favorite are Evil and Midnight  Mass I am cool with Chucky and Yellowjacket’s winning as well).   

• Love 1

When are they going to stop having Taye Diggs as host?! He is awfuuul!  Did you see the looks on the audience faces during that opening banter? They were like wtf?

12 minutes ago, Valny said:

When are they going to stop having Taye Diggs as host?! He is awfuuul!  Did you see the looks on the audience faces during that opening banter? They were like wtf?

It was very cringe. It's a shame cause this show so far is zipping along nicely but the hosts are awful.

• Love 2
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

It was very cringe. It's a shame cause this show so far is zipping along nicely but the hosts are awful.

I know, I was embarrassed for them.  I've decided to mute the hosts anytime they talk. Much better that way.

• Love 2

I was so happy that Melanie Lynskey won for Yellowjackets. She is a stand out on that Showtime series.   She is such a good actress and a bit underrated. Her speech was really good too, so humble and funny. I love that her castmates looked so happy/thrilled for her. 

I had picked Power of the Dog for a while for Best Pic but this time changed to CODA on the strength of the SAG award they just won.  Should be an interesting Oscar.

• Love 2

‘Abbott Elementary’ and ‘Better Call Saul’ Lead 2023 Critics Choice TV Nominations
Marcus Jones    December 6, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/2023-critics-choice-awards-tv-nominations-1234788939/

The Critics Choice Association (CCA) has announced the TV category nominees for their 28th annual Critics Choice Awards. Leading the pack are ABC sitcom “Abbott Elementary” with six nominations and recently ended AMC drama “Better Call Saul” with five nominations. The winners will be announced at the Critics Choice Awards gala in Los Angeles, and broadcast live on the CW at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 15, 2023.

‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Leads Critics Choice Awards with 14 Nominations
Anne Thompson     December 14, 2022
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/12/2023-critics-choice-awards-film-nominees-full-list-1234792142/ 

The 600-member Critics Choice Association (CCA) revealed the film category nominees for the 28th Annual Critics Choice Awards, which will be held at the Critics Choice Awards gala, broadcast live on The CW from the Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles on Sunday, January 15, 2023 (at 7:00 p.m. ET). As the largest film critic association in North America, the CCAs are often predictive of the Oscars.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Is there going to be any coverage of this show? I can’t see that E! Are doing red carpet coverage.

It's on the CW at 7:00 p.m., which is also showing Red Carpet coverage starting at 6:00 p.m.

I completely forgot this was on so didn't tune in until about 8:30 and missed a lot of the tv awards. I've been trying to find clips but so many of them are from Access Hollywood and other bullshit entertainment shows with commentators babbling over everything. 

The Access Hollywood one with part of Chelsea's opening monologue was particularly annoying as the person told you what the joke was going to be before Hanlder delivered the joke. 🙄

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sheryl Lee Ralph should win everything she’s ever nominated for because her acceptance speeches are the most worthwhile part of the ceremony. 
(She won Best Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series for Abbott Elementary.)

I liked it when Henry Winkler waited for her to come up on stage, and then graciously stepped aside and let her speak first :). 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Despite Seth Rogen's rant, I actually thought the dual announcements of the Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress categories in the TV genres was a smart, time-saving idea. They split-screened both winners' reactions and all award recipients were permitted individual acceptance speeches. It did save time as the TV nominees were mostly seated toward the back of the venue and time was cut by having both winners take the long walk to the stage at the same time. I didn't have any problem with it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I feel out of all the award ceremonies and despite their best attempts the critics choice just never really takes off. 

I don't think I've really made an effort to watch it before. Between the Globes, SAG, BAFTAs, and the Oscars, it always seemed like one televised ceremony too many. I only tuned in this year for Chelsea Handler and I missed most of her anyway. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1