Type keyword(s) to search

Child Genius - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I disagree regarding Adrian- he seems like the only kid who ENJOYS studying and learning for the sake of learning, not because he has to learn all of this stuff for a TV show.  Yeah, he'd be annoying in real life- many of these kids would be- but he seems very genuine to me. 

• Love 6
Ver-Sall-Es is what he said which is Versailles spoken with English rules.

I finally got a chance to watch this.  And I think the reason they rejected Vivek's answer is that he threw an "L" in at the end (i.e. "Ver-Sall-ELs").  I think if he would have said "Ver-Sall-Es" they would have accepted it.

Frankly, I had no idea he was trying to say the word Versailles until that replay-review.  But it's another example of how this competition isn't testing the kids' knowledge or intelligence, but their memory.

I disagree regarding Adrian- he seems like the only kid who ENJOYS studying and learning for the sake of learning, not because he has to learn all of this stuff for a TV show. Yeah, he'd be annoying in real life- many of these kids would be- but he seems very genuine to me.

This was my thought about Adrian. I think he may be the only one that is truly learning and not just memorizing. I also feel a bit of sadness under what some perceive as arrogance. One day off a year? That's ridiculous. You can learn in many ways. He is still a child and I think they all need to be treated as such sometimes.

• Love 1

This was my thought about Adrian. I think he may be the only one that is truly learning and not just memorizing. I also feel a bit of sadness under what some perceive as arrogance. One day off a year? That's ridiculous. You can learn in many ways. He is still a child and I think they all need to be treated as such sometimes.

Sorry for multiples.:(

• Love 2

This show us turning me into an asshole.

I was cheering when a 12 year old lost and actively booing him when he was playing.

That Sam needs a trip to the wood shed. Why the hell do parents allow their kids to speak to them that way?!

I believe in spanking, I also believe if you teach your kids what no means at a young age, spanking isn't necessary. I wasn't against it but I never had to spank my kids, all I needed was "the look" and they straightened up really quickly. They're grown now and still talk about the look.

But I'm telling you, if Sam was my kid and spoke to me that way, he wouldn't be able to sit for a week.

That's not even mentioning the rude behavior with the woman who tried to give him his medal.

I'm so glad he's gone. At this point I'm rooting for anybody but Adrian but I think he's got this won.

• Love 2

I didn't have an issue with him not wanting some strange lady putting a medal around his neck. And I didn't see it as being rude, just stating that he was good holding it. Not everybody would be comfortable with that and cheers to Sam for staying his limits.

• Love 3

That made me sad. One day off? We get more days off from WORK than he does for studying? Ridiculous. If he only has to play a little piano every day then ok but full out studying is a no for me. But then again I have a soft spot for Adrian. I think he lives to learn and I question how much of a childhood he actually has. If he spends so much time with his mom he may not know how to read the room when it comes to other kids. I'm not saying he is antisocial, just that his social skills are lacking somewhat.

I didn't watch last night; who besides Sam was in danger?

• Love 1

Enh I don't put too much stock into what is said about Adrian on t.v.  One day off a year?  Really?  *Pfft*  I think it's a carefully sculpted image they are trying to portray.  It's a shame really because I like his mom but for reasons I've mentioned above I just don't like him.  And that's odd because it's usually the other way around.

Right now I would be happy with a Claire and her ridiculously puffy dresses or Arnav win.

(edited)

Claire was the other one in danger.

Sam's behavior was awful. That kid has issues. He can't accept that he made a mistake. He tried to blame his parents for his mistakes. Hopefully it was a one off due to the serious stress of this show. Too many of the kids are really letting the stress bring out the worst in them. I don't know what I would do if I were a parent with a kid on this show. A part of me would want to pull my kid out of such an unhealthy environment, part of me thinks pulling the kid out might send the kid the wrong message.

Edited by kitticup
  • Love 1

That side eye evil eye he was giving to his dad during and after the round! What a brat. If he was left on his own to study he would be lucky to get 5/10 every time. Like his dad said, he did the best he could. I knew the Lisa question though, but I'm old! These kids have to memorize and don't know all this general knowledge. It's absurd this competition. I guess I hope Adrian wins because I like his parents but he is kind of annoying. I hate Claire's dresses - she looks like an idiot in them- it is not a formal occasion. I don't get it. I'm not really rooting for any of them to win but I'm glad that bratty Sam is out.

• Love 1

It's so clear so many of these kids have coping issues. I don't know if it's just inherent in how their brains work, or they've been coddled like special snowflakes, but they are rude, disrespectful and downright spoiled. Snatching back phones and games when a parent takes them away? Telling them to be quiet, pushing, (faux) punching, ignoring, etc.? Not stopping something when told to stop? Oh HAYYLL no. No ma'am.

Being smart isn't a license to be a brat. My kids may not have made it to the finals (or maybe they could have, I don't know how they test for the show) but they've certainly tested in the top 2% and at least one got perfect SAT scores. And if they even DREAMT about talking or behaving that way toward us, they'd better wake up and apologize.

• Love 2

I am so glad Sam is gone. His glares, tantrums and evil eye were starting to remind me of the kid in Damion. His parent's better wake up or they will bigger problems on their hands as he gets older.

A little discipline goes a way. (I'm not talking making the kids study 15 hours a day)

My kids talked back me one time. One.

• Love 2
(edited)

Having the kids spell the words is a great idea. It's not fair to deduct points because of their accents.

I just can't like Adrian, I've tried but I can't. I don't know what it is but the whole schtick just doesn't seem real. He's the exact bratty, nerdy kid who would be the annoying next door neighbor on a sitcom or something, straight down to his clothes.

It's hard to explain but when I see the other kids, I see regular kids, when I see Adrian I see a character, not a person.

Well said.  I could not pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about him, either, but I'll second your opinion. I'll add one more thing to my continuing dislke of Adrian: I think it's that self-satisfied expression that comes across after he's completed a successful, i.e. a "perfect score," round.  It may be something about the way he lifts his chin up almost in a smirk.  Okay, I know.... he's just a kid.  But, then again: Is he?   

He's a real hambone, too, although I do realize that producers encourage dramatic scenes of all types, including Adrian's "piano concerto." Good grief, six hours of practice a day? When he already attends Harvard and Juilliard? When does this kid behave like a normal kid? 

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 1

Sooooo, Sam's family eats pizza WITH A FORK?!?!?!

And he is squishy about touching his food?  (But his parents apparently keep two full fish filets laying out in the sink?

I really think that refusal to have the medal put on him demonstrated some sort of OCD or weird aversion.

• Love 2

First  time posting, but I've been sitting on my hands for two seasons now! (I may start to ramble so bear with)

Last season:  (so different than this one but I was a big fan of Vanya prior to her stint on this show (my family has been watching the spelling Bee every year since it's been televised) My daughter goes to Columbia University and is the same class as Vanyas sister Kavya. I was so satisfied with her win!

Tennis Phenom kid (not even going to bother to look up his name) That family was on a Lisa Ling documentary about Extreme Parenting. When I saw the Mom 
I immediately recognized them. The kid is fine, but I would classify him (by no fault of his own) not an organic learner or "genius" in the true sense. (maybe you could say the same for several others) but if you had seen the show, the what I call "scaffolding" that went into pushing that so called "genius" into those kids of that family made whatever they accomplished seem like a "well no wonder" situation. It was telling when he came up against the more "organic" learners, because he was exposed big time.

Adrian: (full disclosure) My daughter was a serious violinist from very young (not Adrian level who is...) but the discipline to keep that up at a young age (prodigy notwithstanding) can drive you nuts, if the schedule is not there. I get the schedule, (plus I read his Mom is a violin teacher). I agree with those that say he does "seem" to enjoy learning. I also find him to be what Tennis kid was not, more on the organic learner side. That being said, I saw something that broke my heart one week, and no one has talked about it (I thought it would have come up). The week that Adrian was in jeopardy going into the second round, his Mom was sort of laying into him in Russian. He had such a hurt look on his face and he said (as close to accurate as I remember) "No matter what I do sometimes, it's not enough. I'm so sorry Ma Ma" That ,for some reason just broke me big time. I think there is a TON going on there that we're not seeing. I also want to address his Harvard aspirations. I could be wrong, but Harvard usually does not admit these "Child Genius" types. I don't know when this was filmed, but if in real time this is his Senior year, he may have applied Early Action, and is already in (if so he would be the youngest in history at 11, to attend). If he applied regular decision, he will know in a couple of weeks in real time.  Ivys do not give Scholarships (though the press always makes it seem so.) They only give grants based on income. I'm going to assume that his parents combined income puts him in a bracket where his grant (should he get admitted) would not be so generous, and the tuition would be quite high. I guess he also plans to transfer to  New England Conservatory, which has a joint program with Harvard. He's at Julliard now, but their joint program is with Columbia University.

Vivek: This is so off topic, but I have to say this: I wanted to jump through the TV and steal his adorable baby sister! OMG can a baby be prettier! (I am biased as my husband is from India and she favored my daughter as a baby). She was super cute. (I would have babysat for them so Vivek could study lol). This brings me to another thought, Vivek would still be there if they hadn't gone to that cramped hotel. What the HECK were they thinking? With a baby? In a small room? The fact that he did so well, despite the ideal conditions, MAKES him a Child Genius lol lol I've also been in Vivek's Moms situation. My daughter (the violin kid) is the oldest of 4, so I've had a crying baby on my hip while running a kid to teachers, or supervising practice. That scene where she was studying with him with the baby was too real lol.

Claire: I don't have much,but I suspect the party dresses and such are a possible a form of infantising. It makes her look younger, thus appearing even more prodigious. I saw this in the classical music world all the time.

Arnav: I saw some suspected that he may have Aspergers. I have a son that has Aspergers. The saying is that if you've seen one child with autism, you've only seen one child with autism. I believe this to be so, however, there are some traits that exist in children on the spectrum that are similar across the board. Judging by what they have shown us on this show, I don't see that he would be diagnosed as a child with Aspergers. I could be totally wrong, but he's missing some key markers. I'll give you one main observation. He controlled where he had his fits. For the most part, had a child on the spectrum missed those questions on the stand, like Arnav, they would not have waited until they got to the back room to let loose. They would have lost it right then and there. Arnarv, definitely could perservate ,but he had enough self awareness to control when and where he had his anger outbursts. Again I could be wrong. His behavior seemed that of a brilliant  insanely driven kid,who doesn't like to get anything wrong or lose. He most likely has been studying and performing far beyond his age level for as long as he can remember, his maturity level has not caught up with his academic level.

I don't know what will happen at the finals. Last time they were sequestered and all asked the same questions. I think any of the three could win.

• Love 1

That made me sad. One day off? We get more days off from WORK than he does for studying? Ridiculous. If he only has to play a little piano every day then ok but full out studying is a no for me. But then again I have a soft spot for Adrian. I think he lives to learn and I question how much of a childhood he actually has. If he spends so much time with his mom he may not know how to read the room when it comes to other kids. I'm not saying he is antisocial, just that his social skills are lacking somewhat.

I don't know how much of the "one day" off is true and while he is probably awkward at the beginning of the series they showed him socializing with some of the kids from his school. He was also preparing to go to prom. 

That side eye evil eye he was giving to his dad during and after the round! What a brat. If he was left on his own to study he would be lucky to get 5/10 every time. Like his dad said, he did the best he could. I knew the Lisa question though, but I'm old! These kids have to memorize and don't know all this general knowledge. It's absurd this competition. I guess I hope Adrian wins because I like his parents but he is kind of annoying. I hate Claire's dresses - she looks like an idiot in them- it is not a formal occasion. I don't get it. I'm not really rooting for any of them to win but I'm glad that bratty Sam is out.

I had to chuckle because my 15 yr old and I love her dresses.  Maybe it's because she (my daughter) was a fru-fru dress girly-girl for the longest time.  When she was younger and had piano recitals we always bought those type dresses.

Well said.  I could not pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about him, either, but I'll second your opinion. I'll add one more thing to my continuing dislke of Adrian: I think it's that self-satisfied expression that comes across after he's completed a successful, i.e. a "perfect score," round.  It may be something about the way he lifts his chin up almost in a smirk.  Okay, I know.... he's just a kid.  But, then again: Is he?   

He's a real hambone, too, although I do realize that producers encourage dramatic scenes of all types, including Adrian's "piano concerto." Good grief, six hours of practice a day? When he already attends Harvard and Juilliard? When does this kid behave like a normal kid? 

The last episode had Adrian playing piano in a Ford commercial, which we think points to him as the winner, the song he was playing is extremely difficult.  My son played it in his final concert at 18 yrs old, it took quite a bit of practice to master.

Vivek: This is so off topic, but I have to say this: I wanted to jump through the TV and steal his adorable baby sister! OMG can a baby be prettier! (I am biased as my husband is from India and she favored my daughter as a baby). She was super cute. (I would have babysat for them so Vivek could study lol). This brings me to another thought, Vivek would still be there if they hadn't gone to that cramped hotel. What the HECK were they thinking? With a baby? In a small room? The fact that he did so well, despite the ideal conditions, MAKES him a Child Genius lol lol I've also been in Vivek's Moms situation. My daughter (the violin kid) is the oldest of 4, so I've had a crying baby on my hip while running a kid to teachers, or supervising practice. That scene where she was studying with him with the baby was too real lol.

I agree Vivek's sister is beautiful.  One of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen.

• Love 1

Well, seconding the observation upthread about how this show has the tendency to turn a viewer into an asshole for hating on little kids:

I'll add one more thing to my continuing dislke of Adrian: I think it's that self-satisfied expression that comes across after he's completed a successful, i.e. a "perfect score," round.  It may be something about the way he lifts his chin up almost in a smirk.  Okay, I know.... he's just a kid.  But, then again: Is he?

I think you can rest easy in the knowledge that Adrian has a number of ass-kickings coming as he smugs his way through life.

Although, in all honesty, I don't think he's a bad kid.  I wonder how much he and his Mom and just trying to affect an "In Russia, books learn YOU!" persona?

As far as Sam and Claire's attitudes, I have tween kids and I've always told them that they can be as embarrassed/annoyed/pissed-off at me as they want, but not out loud.  In their rooms they can roll their eyes and call me whatever names they want to their hearts' content.  But if they try to pull that in public?  Well, then we're going to have to have a talk.

• Love 5

Sam's father seems pretty funny, I liked him. Arnav also has a cool father. Poor Adrian does not xD
Omg, Sam is bratty, but those glares he was giving his father during round one just ended up being hilariously cute xD Did he mouth "F***"? xD The dads were funny chatting together, sans Adrian's dad.
Why wouldn't Adrian choose piano as his specialty subject?
The preview for next week made it seem like Adrian wins.

• Love 1
(edited)
Why wouldn't Adrian choose piano as his specialty subject?

I don't think you could choose a musical instrument as a subject.  I think it had to be a Q&A subject and not perform a piece like an audition for a symphony, etc.  Plus my guess is they had to choose from a list provided by the competition so they (the moderators) would have a set of questions already there for the kids.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 1

Oh okay, yes I meant a set of questions on classical music or something. In the UK version it seemed they could choose anything, one girl chose Anne Frank, so she also had questions on WW2 etc. They had a different expert make the questions for each kid.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with the Magna Carter ruling. She didn't know what it was at all and remembered it as Magna Carter so it was not a pronunciation--she didnt have it memorized cold. When she was saying out loud in study I bet she said Magna Carta but didn't really know it 100%. 

Dead on. While Claire is at a disadvantage with her accent, it's been easy to see over the course of multiple episodes that she's simply a memorization machine. She pronounced it "Carter" not because she was mispronouncing, but because her only context for it was a crib sheet.

I bet kids like Claire don't do so well if essays and/or debate are involved. I don't think there's a separate "IQ" measurement for that (I suppose it's similar to logic, but only to a certain degree). 

Apparently one day per year (sometimes two!)

You had to know that was coming after Episode 8, right?

I disagree regarding Adrian- he seems like the only kid who ENJOYS studying and learning for the sake of learning, not because he has to learn all of this stuff for a TV show.  Yeah, he'd be annoying in real life- many of these kids would be- but he seems very genuine to me. 

I think he just puts on a better impression/act that he enjoys all of that. I mean the "one day a year" and the talk about how he has to lock it all up and put it in a vault.... came off as VERY creepy.  Abnormal and a real cover IMO for constant conditioning of the kid towards certain responses.

For all that I hated what a little brat Sam comes off as... he's far more normal than Adrian. Kids that age being a little bit evil is normal. Arnav and his hyperactive behavior and ear-piercing whining?  Even that's normal. We even heard Claire, in episode 9, babble a bit at one point, and I kind of laughed because it was the most normal thing we'd seen her do on this show.

But Adrian? He is like a constant performance.

Heck, I even enjoyed watching Sam eat pizza. We learned about this kid's strange eating quirks. sure, but the family interaction actually came off as kind of normal there.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Hate to say it, but glad to see Sam go.  Got a kick out of the evil looks he was shooting his dad from the stage, though.

Okay Adrian, you may be a genius, but it's 'strategy'. not 'stragety'.

• Love 2

And no one should be surprised that Adrian takes the win. Man all Claire had to do was look down and quickly realize that had to be a g for brag and gloat and she would've eliminated him. If this show comes back, Lifetime should perhaps not give one child a constantly running promo. It was obvious from the get-go that Adrian was going to win. I'm glad for him that he has the money he seems to need but I don't like the kid. I think he's really smug and I can see that getting worse as the years go by. He's going to be that guy that sneers at anyone who is less intelligent, you can just tell. 

• Love 3

Damn. I'm only halfway through the episode here on the West Coast and I couldn't stand it, I had to peek and see who won. Now that I know it's Adrian I can turn it. I know I suck for saying this about a kid, but I can't stand him. He just creeps me out, his mom does too.

Does anybody know if Adrian has siblings? If he does I can imagine that they get shoved to the side for Mama's little genius.

• Love 1

I love Adrian. I'm so happy for him. I liked how we didn't automatically know who the winner was for the first time this season.

I don't think Adrian is smug at all. I think he has a child version of RBF. He seems very sweet. He is always the first to go to the upset child and say something nice and the others follow him. Just because he is different doesn't mean he's weird.

• Love 5

I was happy Adrian won,too. I think he was the only child that I never saw get rude or disrespect his parents. One poster mentioned a few days ago about the episode where Adrian didn't do great in the first round and he was apologizing to his mom in Russian.I felt very uncomfortable with that as it seemed that there was a bit of fear in him. His mom of course, always aware of cameras was perfectly composed,but it made me wonder what might go on behind closed doors.I would hate to think that all this knowledge comes out of fear. And please...someone tell me why Arnav's parents clap with their wrists and their palms in a fist. Is it cultural? Anyway, if the winner couldn't be sweet Vivek, then Adrian is good for me.

• Love 1

I can answer the clapping question, or rather Arnav's dad answered it in the comments section of this Tamara tattles blog. Here is the link:

http://tamaratattles.com/2016/03/04/child-genius-recap-finger-foods-are-unsanitional/

Here is what he said:

Just thought I would address the wrist clapping just because its irking a lot of people…my wife decided to carry idols of India Gods (and we have thousands of Gods to choose from) for good luck in round one. Arnav knocked the math round out of the park, and since it was the first competition he had ever been part of, it was a revelation to us as parents. As you can imagine, we got superstitious very quickly and both of us carried these idols in the palms of our hands for good luck (as parents we felt we were contributing to his success this way!). From what I understand knocking these idols together while clapping may have got the Gods pretty mad apart from of course giving them minor to severe concussions…hence the wrist clapping. Frankly, we never thought the cameras would focus on that and that it would bother you and other viewers so much. I apologize for this…

• Love 3

Poor Claire, Adrian gave her a huge opening to knock him out and she ran out of time.  She had that problem before, wasting too much time on questions she didn't get.  Oh well. Congrats to all three.  On a side note, they really edited that last round to make it look like Adrian was really screwing up, but in the end he beat Arnav by four.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Oh Claire, whyyyyyyyy, all she had to do was shout out a G, it was an easy one. That was so painful to watch.

Ok, I finished it. The ending with them clinking trophies was really sweet. So well done to Adrian, although it would be nice if they hadn't made the winner so obvious from episode 1. I didn't even realise Ace would be a high card and not a low one.

I admit I felt more satisfied by the last winner of the British series more, a boy called Thomas. He actually seemed like a legit genius. Nonetheless, another good season!

I didn't like how Adrian kept implying Claire was only in the top three due to luck. I'm sure she worked hard. Wasn't Claire's sister cute?

There seems to be a lot of information about Vivek and Adrian online but none about Claire, weird. 

Edited by Odelia

Oh Claire, whyyyyyyyy, all she had to do was shout out a G, it was an easy one. That was so painful to watch.

Ok, I finished it. The ending with them clinking trophies was really sweet. So well done to Adrian, although it would be nice if they hadn't made the winner so obvious from episode 1. I didn't even realise Ace would be a high card and not a low one.

I admit I felt more satisfied by the last winner of the British series more, a boy called Thomas. He actually seemed like a legit genius. Nonetheless, another good season!

I didn't like how Adrian kept implying Claire was only in the top three due to luck. I'm sure she worked hard. Wasn't Claire's sister cute?

There seems to be a lot of information about Vivek and Adrian online but none about Claire, weird.

I didn't take it as he meant she was there by luck, rather her scores had been less consistent and so she was more of a wild card in that she might do bad or might blow them out of the water. Where as he and Arnav had been top scorers most of the competition.

• Love 1

I didn't take it as he meant she was there by luck, rather her scores had been less consistent and so she was more of a wild card in that she might do bad or might blow them out of the water. Where as he and Arnav had been top scorers most of the competition.

He said that, but then he followed it up with "so who will win, will it be the one with the most wins, the most consistent.. or the one who got lucky" (or something of this sort).

I looked it up and apparently Adrian fly's to NYC for Saturday classes at Julliard every weekend.

Well no wonder they need an extra $100,000.

Also, I wonder if "Saturday classes" at Julliard are really the same thing as being admitted there, or if it's some kind of special extension program.

Poor kid is going to be burned out by the time he's 15. On another note, it seems like his mother is shilling him out to anything that will stick. America's Got Talent, Child Genius, flying every weekend to NYC. He's not a circus pony. He's a child.

Ok rant over. My heart hurts for this kid.

Poor kid is going to be burned out by the time he's 15. On another note, it seems like his mother is shilling him out to anything that will stick. America's Got Talent, Child Genius, flying every weekend to NYC. He's not a circus pony. He's a child.

Ok rant over. My heart hurts for this kid.

What you don't think that one day per year "vacation" he gets doesn't fully recharge him?

Even circus ponies get nice long rests!

I'm not worried too much about Adrian.  It's not as if his mother is forcing him to work in the coal mines.  He may be missing out on the opportunity for some friendships amongst children his age.  But I'm not sure if that was in the cards anyway with that kid.

And, unlike some of the other contestants, I get the sense that there's more to Adrian's intelligence that simply the ability to memorize lots of information quickly.  

• Love 3

I'm not worried too much about Adrian.  It's not as if his mother is forcing him to work in the coal mines.  He may be missing out on the opportunity for some friendships amongst children his age.  But I'm not sure if that was in the cards anyway with that kid.

He literally talked about having ONE day per year where he wasn't studying or practicing every waking hour. ONE.

He literally talked about having ONE day per year where he wasn't studying or practicing every waking hour. ONE.

I guess I take that with the same grain of salt that I do all the talk about the kids studying or practicing music 27 hours a day.

• Love 1

Well no wonder they need an extra $100,000.

Also, I wonder if "Saturday classes" at Julliard are really the same thing as being admitted there, or if it's some kind of special extension program.

There is a precollege program for exceptional young musicians.Students are admitted by audition only from all over the world, so it is the real deal. Famed violinists Sarah Chang and Midori were part of this program as well, until they were old enough to be admitted to the traditional college program.

• Love 1