Type keyword(s) to search

Child Genius - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm glad Silicon Valley mom is gone, just for her constantly referring to "Silicon Valley".  I live on the north end of Silicon Valley.  When asked where I live I say "the Peninsula".  The only time anyone ever uses that term is when mentioning one of the companies down there, if even then.  For everything else it's, "I'm going to the Stanford mall...I'm having lunch in downtown Palo Alto...going over to Bob's house in Sunnyvale...".  You're from Silicon Valley, we get it.  I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but her and her husband remind me a lot of Gretchen and Elliott from Breaking Bad.  Anyone who has watched that show knows what I mean.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

I didn't like Chance's mom at all. Geez woman, let the kid be a kid once in a while. I think she'll be in my top 3 most hated parents this season.

I liked Selah and her family, but it makes me so sad when I see overweight parents who pass their poor eating habits on to their kids. Poor Selah is only 9, she'll be obese by the time she's a teenager, and I blame her parents.

I felt bad for the blonde girl, I forget her name. It seems like her nerves took over. Poor thing.

I don't really see Adrian ever moving out of his mom's house.

I've known Chance's mom for over 20 years. She is a great person. She does "feel" a little different on TV than she is on a daily basis. She is actually fun.

• Love 2

I feel like the kid who spelled 'defendant' wrong thought the word was 'defended.'

This is a bunch of pretty unlikable parents.

Too much pressure for these kids. It's borderline uncomfortable to watch. I'll hate-watch the shit out of the Kardashians or Teen Mom, and I have zero problem with that. But this show just seems cruel to these young kids, and I feel guilty as a viewer.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3
too much pressure for these kids. It's borderline uncomfortable to watch. I'll hate-watch the shit out of the Kardashians or Teen Mom, and I have zero problem with that. But this show just seems cruel to these young kids, and I feel guilty as a viewer.

I see what you're saying but I do wonder if the parents aren't putting on a show for T.V. or being coached by a producer/handler to behave this way.  They've seen how much love-to-hate viewers they got last season with Tiger Mommy so how about a cast where 80% of the parents are tiger moms.  That sounds like dumb exec. thinking.

Argh. The forced precociousness (along with the annoying bouncy music) with Piano Kid continues to drive me buggy.

LOL!  I understand where you are coming from; it seems they are trying to shove Adrian down our throats as fan favorite.  I was hoping every child would get a commercial type spot like he does but all I've seen is his commercial of him playing the piano and such.  Him popping up out of the bench while playing the higher notes is a bit annoying.  He looks like he's sitting a spring and certain notes on the piano are the release mechanism. 

What a horrible show!  I think it boarders on abuse.  I agree that Seelah's parents are passing on very bad traits.  Kids need to run and play.  They will pick up their strengths in various fields along the way.  The boys mother who said to do it her way was off.  Kids are supposed to find ways to solve problems on their own, it is the only way they can grow into individual thinkers.

• Love 4

What a horrible show! I think it boarders on abuse. I agree that Seelah's parents are passing on very bad traits. Kids need to run and play. They will pick up their strengths in various fields along the way. The boys mother who said to do it her way was off. Kids are supposed to find ways to solve problems on their own, it is the only way they can grow into individual thinkers.

I completely agree, I noticed at one point Selah was drinking what looked like a Yoo Hoo type thing. I feel bad for her, she'll be obese by high school if they don't change now.

I also agree that this shit is abusive. It was very telling when Chance's mom said "I want to win Child Genius", no tiger mom, your son would be the winner not you. She and the other mom who's name I can't recall rub me the wrong way.

Hearing these parents say the kids practice and study for 8 hours a day really upsets me. As did the one dad saying his kid can be whatever he wants to be "as long as its a Doctor". I hope the kid ends up a free spirited artist or something, anything other than a Doctor.

Adrian is talented but I hate that style of beat the hell out of the keys type piano playing.

• Love 2

Adrian's father seems quite arrogant doesn't he, in a douchy way.
I think the 2 hours per day that Gianna studies is enough, the kids don't need to be cramming 5 hours a day, that is too much for a "genius"..
Iris's mother seems pretty competitive for such a "free spirit". Nonetheless so far she seems one of the better parents.
Still liking Claire and her mother!
Is it just me or did Selah have much easier history questions than everyone else?
That fight with Selah's parents was hilarious xD I feel like Selah's mother isn't quite hard enough on her in the sense that she's teaching her to be quite lazy. I don't endorse pressuring your kids to a breakdown or studying 10 hours a day but it seems like Selah can't even focus for 20 minutes.
Chancellor's mum - "I want to win Child Genius".. ummmmm, her? I feel she is quite smart.
Both Arnav and Vivek really rub me the wrong way but I'm not quite sure why.. Arnav seems cocky and Vivek seems whiny?

What father?  It's been a few weeks since I saw this, but wasn't his whole story that he's got a single mom?

Yeah this past episode showed his dad at the competition.  From what I gather he lives in L.A. now and Adrian said he doesn't see his dad often, maybe talks to him a few times on Skype IDK.  But yeah all of a sudden here is dad helping out.  IDK, I thought there entire story was that she was a single mom and didn't get help (financially I guess) from dad but here he is now.  *shrug*

What father? It's been a few weeks since I saw this, but wasn't his whole story that he's got a single mom?

Yeah this past episode showed his dad at the competition. From what I gather he lives in L.A. now and Adrian said he doesn't see his dad often, maybe talks to him a few times on Skype IDK. But yeah all of a sudden here is dad helping out. IDK, I thought there entire story was that she was a single mom and didn't get help (financially I guess) from dad but here he is now. *shrug*

Yes, his dad does seem like a douche. Sounds like he's not around much, but now that he can be on tv he comes around. He also took over the studying style, which according to mom is not what Adrian usually does, and then douchy dad took credit for Adrian doing so well.

• Love 4

This show ran long and my DVR did not record the whole ending.  I only saw the three who tied for 2nd place.  Can someone please tell me who was first and who was sent home?  Many thanks.

PS: Adrian's Father, is patting himself on the back a little too hard.  Yes, I agree, he seems like a douchebag.  I hope for Adrian's sake it is all an editing ploy, but I have a feeling it is otherwise. 

• Love 2

Selah (not sure of spelling) went home.  She seems like a smart gal but she was way in over her head in this competition.  Both mom & dad seemed extremely happy for her--she cried a bit but a lot of the other kids came up to her with congrats, etc.  So all in all happy girl, happy family.

• Love 2
Why do people even keep studying, Drake got 0/10 1st round so even if he gets 10/10, they only need 1 point.

I think their overall performance comes into play at the end. I can't remember exactly, but their average rankings or total scores come into play at some point, either giving them advantageous placement in the final rounds or their prize is bigger if they got more 1st places or something like that. So it's better for them to try to win each round rather than just aiming not to get kicked off each week.

This show ran long and my DVR did not record the whole ending. I only saw the three who tied for 2nd place. Can someone please tell me who was first and who was sent home? Many thanks.

Arnav was first and Selah went home.

The one Dad was right, most of the kids weren't really disappointed in themselves so much as they were upset that they had disappointed their parents. The one boy bothered me a bit when he was talking about jumping off of the balcony because he was so upset.

• Love 2

I'm still on the fence about this.  It seems to be working for Jaden and it does seem to give him a wide range of interests....and he does seem to have a very sweet, kind disposition about him so maybe so.  His mom is starting to bug a bit with the wholesome foods routine though.  I've known a few people in my life who live this gluten free, sugar free, organic food lifestyle and yeah they come across as a bit uppity puppity about it. 

It seems that "unschooling" works for him. I show my development classes some videos of parents who do "free-range" children stuff and the chidlren cannot even add or do simple math. It seems that Jaden's parents are doing a pretty good job. He seems like a nice kid. I agree that he has a little bit of a speech impediment. It would help him to get some therapy for that. 

Poor Selah...clearly her parents have been popping candy in her mouth as a reward for the better part of her life.  I felt like I was watching Toddlers and Tiaras: Genius Edition with that one.  

Nothing against overweight ( I am not as thin as I used to be), but rewarding behavior with food is just not the best tactic. If the kid has to be plied and coerced with treats and gifts, then it really is not them doing it, is it? It is a form of persuasion or coercive behavior. 

This made me laugh. I was watching with my 12 year-old and I said, "That's a great idea!" and he said, "But if she's smart, she's smart enough to know that she's not dumb."

Truthfully, Claire's mom is practicing something that a lot of experts advise - to put the emphasis on hard work and not on inborn smarts. If you compliment kids for being smart, that tends to make them try less and get frustrated more easily. If you compliment them for working hard, they succeed more often and are more satisfied with their accomplishments.

Plus, Claire seems adorable and pretty well adjusted for how hard she is being pushed.

100% accurate. The research backs this up. I think Claire and Adrian are the most suited for this type of competition (love them both). Interesting that those two both play musical instruments at a high and competitive level. 

I feel like the kid who spelled 'defendant' wrong thought the word was 'defended.'

100% agree. He totally heard "defended". I listened to it 2 or 3 times on DVR and I could hear it that way as well. Surprised that they don't put it in a sentence, because that would have helped that kid know that he was hearing it incorrectly. I felt bad for him, because THAT was an easy word. So his reaction was stunned and upset. Don't they have any ability to contest?

I completely agree, I noticed at one point Selah was drinking what looked like a Yoo Hoo type thing. I feel bad for her, she'll be obese by high school if they don't change now.

Oh, she was drinking a bottled Mocha Starbucks Frappachino. I drink those and noticed the "mocha" on the label, and yeah it TOTALLY reminded me of Toddlers and Tiaras with the plying of behavior with sugary and caffeinated foods. My kid used to compete in her sport on a world/national level and we would never eat like that. It could really impact performance. Giving a kid caffeine can make them more anxious. The mom and dad who are the natural food eaters, do have a bit of a point about how food can impact your mental state. I can respect their approach because they don't seem too awful. It might be unconventional, but certainly NOT harmful.  I think they really love their kid and are trying to be the best parents which includes their approach to food. 

Oh, and it cannot be said enough, Adrian's dad=DOUCHE (taking credit-what an asshole).  He and his wonderful mom have been doing it without you just fine, go away. 

• Love 2

Child Genius, the show that asks the burning question, how come Chancellor's dad never talks?

I heard him speak a few times. It is likely that they downplay anyone who is somewhat rational and normal, and play up the more anxious and aggressive behaviors of certain parents. 

• Love 2

Iris's mother seems pretty competitive for such a "free spirit". Nonetheless so far she seems one of the better parents.

Huge pet peeve: when someone describes themselves as a free spirit. If you are, in fact, a free spirit, it should just show. You shouldn't have to 'tell' us.

There was a contestant on The Bachelor whose 'job' was 'Free Spirit.' What a load of BS.

• Love 1

Huge pet peeve: when someone describes themselves as a free spirit. If you are, in fact, a free spirit, it should just show. You shouldn't have to 'tell' us.
There was a contestant on The Bachelor whose 'job' was 'Free Spirit.' What a load of BS.

WORD to the umptenth degree!  This coincides with her listing her occupation as "artist".  In my very cynical opinion that is just a fancy way of saying unemployed and a pot smoker.  Now I'm not saying her mom is into drug use but a true artist wouldn't have to say well I'm an artist and leave it at that.  I'm a painter, sculptor, writer, musician whatever the case may be is more plausible.  I always side eye the non descript I'm an artist and that's it. 

The scene where Mom was popping candies into her kid's mouth for every correct answer was very disturbing to me.

A chubby mom rewarding her chubby daughter with sugar.  I'd bet the poor kid is ridiculed at school for all sorts of stuff.  That candy was just more ammunition.  How did she even qualify for this show?

This show shouldn't be called "Child Genius."  A genius is someone with an IQ above 160.  Several of these kids have IQ's in the 140's or 150's.  This show should be called, "Smart Kids and their Stupid Parents," or some other more appropriate title.

I agree...my sisters and I (as kids) had IQs in the 140s.  No one ever even hinted we were geniuses.  We were some of the "smart kids" in school but nothing more.  We didn't even know we had high IQs until our middle sister worked in the high school office during the nuns' lunch hour.  She looked through a LOT of files and passed along a LOT of information. Okay...it was probably a sin she forgot to confess.   She also left the office "unmanned" if one of her friends brought a car and they could sneak off campus for lunch.  We were smart in many ways (late 50s and  early 60s).

Someone last season pointed out that these kids, while smart, weren't genius by definition but maybe just had really good study skills.  Actual IQ numbers aside wouldn't a true, TRUE, genius simply know most of this stuff already? What is with this studying hours and hours a day?  Good grief if I study like that then yeah I would be successful at this competition and I have NO WHERE near I high IQ. 

I just scratch my head at the so-so to poor performance on the history portion of the competition last week.  What I am seeing are these kids don't really seem all that interested in studying in subjects they don't like or don't feel they have to.  There seems to be A LOT of combativeness going on in getting them to buckle down and learn this info.  *shrug*  IDK.

• Love 1

These parents are horrible. What ever happened to "yay, you got 7 right, good job"? I feel so bad for these kids. Especially Chance with his pushy mom and Sam, their parents are awful. I'm glad Chance has a dad that knows that fun is important too.

Some of these parents are border line abusive with some of their comments to these kids.

• Love 3

These parents are horrible. What ever happened to "yay, you got 7 right, good job"? I feel so bad for these kids. Especially Chance with his pushy mom and Sam, their parents are awful. I'm glad Chance has a dad that knows that fun is important too.

Some of these parents are border line abusive with some of their comments to these kids.

Yes to all of this!  And I am glad the girl with the divorced parents went home.  Gah that was becoming painful to watch.  Props to mom who at least tried to make an effort to bring harmony into the situation.  From what I saw she was trying to control her frustration especially in front of her girl but wow what polar opposites those two where.

• Love 1

Someone last season pointed out that these kids, while smart, weren't genius by definition but maybe just had really good study skills.  Actual IQ numbers aside wouldn't a true, TRUE, genius simply know most of this stuff already? What is with this studying hours and hours a day?  Good grief if I study like that then yeah I would be successful at this competition and I have NO WHERE near I high IQ. 

I just scratch my head at the so-so to poor performance on the history portion of the competition last week.  What I am seeing are these kids don't really seem all that interested in studying in subjects they don't like or don't feel they have to.  There seems to be A LOT of combativeness going on in getting them to buckle down and learn this info.  *shrug*  IDK.

I watched only my second episode of this but it seems they are given a dossier of all the stuff that will be asked and covered, so you have to memorize the dossier in the time before that topic. I am no genius but I am good and memorizing and study skills. There is no way they would know all those current events on their own. It could be 1000 facts they are given and will be asked 10 of them from all of that. 

• Love 1

Arnav was being a brat - "I want to be the best out of everybody, I don't want to get a measly 9/10!".
Sam seems just as whiny, but his parents are more infuriating so he has an excuse. Arnav has nice parents it seems.
Poor Gianna, her parents need to focus more on her and less on themselves.

Does anyone watch the UK version?

I really hate when in these TV forums people are constantly saying over every little thing "oh this TV person is on the spectrum" "oh this is aspergers!"- but I am going to be that annoying poster myself now. Arnav's behavior after the 9/10 in current events test was such a typical aspie thing! They throw tantrums over things "not being fair" when indeed it's completely ridiculous and they cannot get themselves together. His mother said for a good 30 minutes he stared at the wall and cried about not getting the perfect score even though they tried to tell him that he is in second place overall and in no danger of losing! This rational thought makes no sense when they are having an aspie meltdown like this. I've seen it and it's impossible to get them to come out of it. I don't think he was being a brat. 

• Love 1

I really hate when in these TV forums people are constantly saying over every little thing "oh this TV person is on the spectrum" "oh this is aspergers!"- but I am going to be that annoying poster myself now. Arnav's behavior after the 9/10 in current events test was such a typical aspie thing! They throw tantrums over things "not being fair" when indeed it's completely ridiculous and they cannot get themselves together. His mother said for a good 30 minutes he stared at the wall and cried about not getting the perfect score even though they tried to tell him that he is in second place overall and in no danger of losing! This rational thought makes no sense when they are having an aspie meltdown like this. I've seen it and it's impossible to get them to come out of it. I don't think he was being a brat.

Interesting and I think you have a point. I have a adopted niece with medically diagnosed Asperger's and she does the same thing. One day she wanted to go bowling but I had a cast on my foot (and obviously couldn't bowl). Her older sister and I decided on the movies instead and the niece acted exactly like Arnav (ironically my niece probably has a 140 IQ but her behavior challenges her on a daily basis). 

• Love 1

I watched only my second episode of this but it seems they are given a dossier of all the stuff that will be asked and covered, so you have to memorize the dossier in the time before that topic. I am no genius but I am good and memorizing and study skills. There is no way they would know all those current events on their own. It could be 1000 facts they are given and will be asked 10 of them from all of that. 

Yes they are given study material so basically they just have to memorize a giant binder each week. 

• Love 2

Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall so many contestants cracking under pressure last season. The competition doesn't seem any more difficult this season. I think this was either a major error in casting, or they were intentionally going to for emotionally fragile children.

I'm a little torn about Gianna's parent's situation. On the one hand, I think her father has a more healthy view about "life balance". But, on the other hand, when his daughter is already involved in a limited-time competition, he really wasn't helping to put her in a position to succeed. And I think may have been doing that to "get back" against her mother, which makes him a dick.

Wasn't Arnav the one who, when his mother "threatened" him about how he was on camera and everyone would see his behavior, gave it right back to her by saying "and they'll see YOU too!". So, post-event meltdown or not, I kind of love him for that.

• Love 4

Wait really? They get a binder with all the info in it each week? seems more like a memorizing contest in that case... I did think it was too trivia-ish. 

In a true child "genius" competition i'd much rather see more logic/math/problem solving type questions. Who cares if they can memorize a bunch of pop culture facts?

• Love 3

Wait really? They get a binder with all the info in it each week? seems more like a memorizing contest in that case... I did think it was too trivia-ish.

In a true child "genius" competition i'd much rather see more logic/math/problem solving type questions. Who cares if they can memorize a bunch of pop culture facts?

I agree. This is what I was expecting as well. I want to see what they can do on their own, too, not with their parents having to force feed them information to regurgitate. Maybe I should not expect so much because they are rally just kids but many "just smart" kids can learn facts. Now, the logic was crazy (and awesome) and math that they could not write down stumped me and I love math. I need to SEE it though.

But anyway, I still love Chance and Adrian and am really growing to really like Claire, Arnav, and Vivek. Actually all the kids seem great even in their bratty moments. I'm sure they have never failed at anything (for many reasons) and the prospect of failing is overwhelming. Everyone that doesn't win will feel like a failure and that is sad. That their parents, in general, don't have a healthy attitude about this for their children's sake pisses me off.

• Love 3

I found it amusing that unschooling mom was talking about how she thinks the other parents are too hard on their kids and too controlling, and then she says that one of the main reasons they don't send their son to school is so they can control everything he eats. She seems unaware of the irony.

• Love 6

I found it amusing that unschooling mom was talking about how she thinks the other parents are too hard on their kids and too controlling, and then she says that one of the main reasons they don't send their son to school is so they can control everything he eats. She seems unaware of the irony.

OMG I didn't pick up on that but you're right.  Enh the kid himself (I can't remember his name) is great.  I like him, he seems polite and sweet and yeah how the parents are raising him seems to working well.....buuuuuut.....IDK just something about mom bugs!  Something about her rubs me the wrong way.  I can't put my finger on it but something just seems off with her. 

• Love 1

I noticed that too. What crazy diet do they have him on? 

Clair is just way too cute! I love her outfits and she seems normal - not like sitting under the table Sam or no bathroom break Arnov or adultish Adrian. 

• Love 1
I noticed that too. What crazy diet do they have him on?

When they intro'd the family, they said that they are paleo, and keep their son on a strict paleo diet too, so no gluten, no dairy, no processed foods. They also showed them walking through a grocery store, "teaching" their son a science lesson, saying all kinds of crazy stuff about how humans are not meant to eat gluten, etc., etc.

I think their son has turned out well in spite of them, not because of them. Plus he's the oldest in the competition, so when you compare a 12 year-old next to an 8 year-old, he's going to look mature, polite and well adjusted.

• Love 1

I could have sworn I saw he was wearing a hearing aid. I was wondering about his speech patterns and that would be a reason. Chancellors mother bugs. I would love to see her do this competition. Her mother was awesome.

• Love 2

Did anyone else think the questions were kinda dumb this round? Why have a kid memorize plot elements from works they definitely haven't read. Again, just a memorizing contest. I wish we could see them really use their brains.

Also, unrelated but totally team Jaden here. I like his parents and he seems chill and genuinely into learning. He's much less gloat-y than the others too. 

• Love 2

OMG I didn't pick up on that but you're right.  Enh the kid himself (I can't remember his name) is great.  I like him, he seems polite and sweet and yeah how the parents are raising him seems to working well.....buuuuuut.....IDK just something about mom bugs!  Something about her rubs me the wrong way.  I can't put my finger on it but something just seems off with her. 

I agree, but the dad almost seems worse. He's more silent, however he might be the more controlling one. Both these parents are just too smug to deal with. 

I also wish it wasn't just about memorising given material, it was so boring with everyone scoring 10. They should have to read the books to know the answers.

I wanted Sam to go home, he's so whiny.

Edited by Odelia
  • Love 1

I actually like Jaden's parents. I don't think their diet or approach is weird at all. There are a lot of people doing the non-gluten or paleo thing and there is research indicating that (maybe not for everyone) gluten can cause many issues if a person has allergies to it. I did the non-gluten thing and lost a lot of weight, easily. I think that they are the most healthy of all of them. They are into exercise and nutrition and don't seem to place undue burden or pressure on Jaden. Plus, as a home-schooled kid, you would expect the parents to be involved, because they are homeschooling him. I would rather see a mom and dad eschew a soda, preservatives, & sugar (which we have seen kids eating and used as a tool for doing their studying), and opt for more natural foods that are home made or grown. The mom has said that one should eat for performance and fueling the brain-I agree. Talk to any nutritionist that works with pro-athletes. They would say the exact same thing.  I don't get why their diet is "crazy" or "weird".  

Pretty much liking all the kids except Chance and Sam (I think). My favorite is Adrian, followed by Claire, but Viveck and Arnov are cute too. I like Jaden as well. Got to root for Claire because she is the last girl standing. I was impressed that Adrian is already accepted at Julliard. I think he is just swell all the way around. I love that kid. 

• Love 1

They are into exercise and nutrition and don't seem to place undue burden or pressure on Jaden. Plus, as a home-schooled kid, you would expect the parents to be involved, because they are homeschooling him.

Isn't he unschooled? Or non-schooled? (I'm sure it's all the same thing but I thought she used a different term.)  Either way I find his mom a bit pretentious.  I like Jaden and want him to win but no love for the mom.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Isn't he unschooled? Or non-schooled? (I'm sure it's all the same thing but I thought she used a different term.)  Either way I find his mom a bit pretentious.  I like Jaden and want him to win but no love for the mom.

I am pretty sure that they said "home-schooled", but they could be following the unschooled or non-schooled trend and calling it home-schooled. That also includes the free-range kids thing too. Some of what parents can do with the kids is really dependent upon the local school district. "un-schooling" does NOT fly where I live. Parents have to present a comparable curriculum and prove (to some extent) that the child is receiving an education and that there is some type of documentation to prove it. This can be on a state-to-state basis or even school district to school district. Some of my college students did a presentation on this, and it is pretty eye-opening what is allowed on a state-to-state basis. Even so, it seems that Jaden is not suffering, unless one counts lack of social enrichment with peers, which might be detrimental for some kids. 

• Love 1

Chancellor's family is great, I loved his grandma.  Someone who remembers he's still a kid and keeps this whole thing in perspective.  And his dad is finally chatting it up some!  I was sorry for Iris, but going out with a 14/20 showing is nothing to sneeze at, she left with her head high.  I'm sick of seeing Jaden's mom with her less than great looking half-sleeve tattoo.  And she's always wearing sleeveless tops to show it off.  I have some tattoos on my arms too, but I only wear shirts that show them now and then.  Usually they're covered.  These genius kids are finally starting to look genius-like after those first couple of episodes.  I guess it was nerves maybe.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Chancellor's family is great, I loved his grandma. Someone who remembers he's still a kid and keeps this whole thing in perspective. And his dad is finally chatting it up some! I was sorry for Iris, but going out with a 14/20 showing is nothing to sneeze at, she left with her head high. I'm sick of seeing Jaden's mom with her less than great looking half-sleeve tattoo. And she's always wearing sleeveless tops to show it off. I have some tattoos on my arms too, but I only wear shirts that show them now and then. Usually they're covered. These genius kids are finally starting to look genius-like after those first couple of episodes. I guess it was nerves maybe.

I do love Chance's grandmother. So sensible and nice.

And pretty. Chance comes from a very successful family. Mom left Wall St. Dad and grandfather are lawyers; grandfather is BIG TIME lawyer. Grandfather on mom's side is a judge. I am not surprised that Chance is so intelligent and seemingly well-adjusted. Taylora is a little more intense than I thought she would be. I hope Chance can pull himself together because I really like the little dude and I have not yet met him.

I cannot get enough of Claire and Adrian after this week. Those are some great kids.

Guess I missed the part about them having all the answers to study. Don't quite know what to think about that. It kind of changes the show for me.

I don't think it's ever been expressly stated.  But I think we've seen kids with similar-looking binders of materials, and kids and parents have referred to "study materials" that most definitely suggests (to me, at least) that they're referring to something that has been provided by the contest as opposed to research they've decided to do on their own.

In that sense, the one kid who keeps bitching about having to go first may have a bit of a point, in that once the other contestants hear which questions have already been asked (assuming they're not asking the same question(s) to multiple different contestants), if they are good enough at retaining and discarding information, they can off-load they answers to the questions they've already heard asked and focus on just retaining the relatively smaller universe of information that hasn't been asked yet.

As far as the Paleo Parents, all things considered I think they probably have one of the more functional (or less dysfunctional, at least) households in this crowd.  But for all their pious claims to being non-judgmental, they certainly have a huge superiority complex about their lifestyle.

• Love 1

I don't get why their diet is "crazy" or "weird".

I don't think anyone here stated that the diet or life style was weird or unusual.  It's the parents, specifically the mother, that bugs.  It's her as a person that rubs me the wrong way for reasons I can't specifically state but as previous posters have said that perhaps she comes across as a bit judgmental (I'm paraphrasing) so again yay to Jaden and his palo diet but mom enh not so much.

I think the reason going first is actually a legitimate disadvantage is not because you can weed out the information that has already been asked, but because you can start to familiarize yourself with the question format. My guess is that they are given (for example for vocabulary) all the words and definitions. But the question format of say changing one word in the definition to make it work would be startling if you were first and could throw you off a little. 

• Love 1