Type keyword(s) to search

Child Genius - General Discussion

• Start Topic

WHOOOO VANYA!! My favorite from the beginning. She's adorable and was always the first to comfort/congratulate the eliminated kids. She so deserved this. I was very happy with the way the top 4 worked out. I think coming in 4th is ultimately really good for Katherine. All kids need to learn to lose!

• Love 3

I think Vanya's score totally invalidated Katherine's dad's point. Vanya took the exact same amount of time on the card question; except unlike Katherine she didn't even get it right! In addition Vanya answered all of the questions that we saw Katherine struggle with and still bested her score. I've participated in these sorts of competitions throughout my childhood. What we all would do is to take the number of question and divide by the amount of time allotted. We kept sort of a mental stopwatch going. So with 25 questions and 5 minutes they should have given themselves about 12.5 seconds per question unless they were really sure that they would be able to get the answer. Katherine did not use her time wisely. 

For the second season of the show, I would really like them to go away from this being a memorization contest. I want them to have more logic areas and then just general knowledge of the subjects. Tell the kids the rounds but don't give them specific material to study. That guarantees that the kids that are truly gifted and able to learn and retain this material rather than memorizing it will continue on. 

• Love 3

I hope Graham isn't disappointed God only wanted him to get 3rd place. I adore Graham but really dislike his mother. The dad scored points with me ...more better..lol

I'm glad Vanya won, she seems very sweet. I'm also glad Yeji came in second, it will be less of a blow for Katherine, and easier for them being in the same school.

I totally saw Kathrine's dad's point. The other kids benefited from Katherine's experience in knowing how hard the questions would be in advance. Katherine had no way of knowing that.  I think what he was hoping was that all four would get to be in the final round since the first round was kind of spoiled for his daughter.  I can understand that and I don't think it was improper for him to try to ameliorate the situation for his daughter.  I haven't been a Katherine fan, but I will not fault him for trying to 'fix' what turned out to be a real disadvantage for his daughter.  

I didn't see his point at all.  He's complained in previous episodes and behaves like a sore loser.  What would he have them do, give his daughter a free pass to the next round because she had to go first?  Or get a couple of bonus points added to her score for this perceived "disadvantage"?  That's the luck of the draw, so deal with it.  In horse racing a horse might draw the inside gate and have a nice advantage at the start, or the outside gate and be at a disadvantage.  That's the breaks.  She knew it was a timed test, she knew that she could pass on a question if it was taking too long.  She's an experienced test taker.  There was no disadvantage.  She also could have helped her situation by knowing more of the answers, which is the real reason she lost.  Sometimes you need to just lose gracefully.  Her dad isn't doing her any favors either by constantly reinforcing her sense of entitlement and that if anything doesn't go her way, it's an injustice.

Anyway, congrats to Vanya, she was clearly the best.  I can see her dad filling that big trophy full of bottled water and making her drink it.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

I actually agreed with Kathryn's father and had bristled before he had even said anything. 

It wasn't really that the other kids got to hear how HARD the questions were going to be, it was that they were really the exact same questions, with just the letters, numbers, etc. changed.  So the other kids waiting could listen to the types of questions and figure out how to work them out in the most efficient way.  It would have been much more fair if the other kids hadn't been able to hear the other kid's questions.  I think they made the questions very similar to ensure everyone got the same level of difficulty, but it was a huge advantage for the other kids to hear, especially further down the line after seeing that okay, Kid A had this question, Kid B had this question, I'm probably going to have this question.  How will I work it out?

That said, it's just a game.  All the kids did great!  

• Love 3

I actually agreed with Kathryn's father and had bristled before he had even said anything. 

It wasn't really that the other kids got to hear how HARD the questions were going to be, it was that they were really the exact same questions, with just the letters, numbers, etc. changed.  So the other kids waiting could listen to the types of questions and figure out how to work them out in the most efficient way.  It would have been much more fair if the other kids hadn't been able to hear the other kid's questions.

Wait, were the other kids on the stage when one of them was answering questions?  I have to re-watch but I can't believe they were, as some of them were the exact same questions (spelling "endocrine" for example), so they would be getting the answer beforehand.  If they were, then sure, that's a glaring flaw in the contest.  I really wasn't paying attention to who was present when one of the kids was answering,

Wait, were the other kids on the stage when one of them was answering questions?  I have to re-watch but I can't believe they were, as some of them were the exact same questions (spelling "endocrine" for example), so they would be getting the answer beforehand.  If they were, then sure, that's a glaring flaw in the contest.  I really wasn't paying attention to who was present when one of the kids was answering,

You are mistaken the final round with the one before it.

In reality, if you see the pattern beforehand, you can chose which to skip and which to answer. They should have kept them separately in that round as well.

• Love 1

Oh okay, right.  The last round they were getting identical questions and the other kids had to be off-stage.  I don't see  a problem with the first round then.  Okay, so the kids saw that one of the early questions was a playing card memorization problem that takes time to answer.  Even not knowing that question is coming (and remember, these kids *knew* that all of the question categories including memorization would be on this test; either Katherine or Yeji was shown in one clip practicing with the cards), Katherine still knew from having had that kind of question in a previous episode that it takes a fair amount of time to answer.  Also, one other kid (Vanya) attempted that question I believe, and got it wrong (while spending a lot of time on it, well over half a minute, and she still got 14 right).  The telling thing for me is that Katherine only answered 15 out of 25 questions, so it wasn't just the long memorization question that messed her up, she was freezing up on a lot of standard Jeopardy-style questions and wasting time instead of passing.  Clock management is the responsibility of the contestant.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

I know this is bound to be an unpopular opinion, because neither Katherine nor her father were all that likable... but... he kinda had a point.

That said... kinda...

He was right that the situation was unfair, but I think wrong as to WHY it was.

Let me explain. It's not the order that was unfair. That was indeed randomly picked. It was that the kids were allowed to see each other's rounds at ALL.

This had been bothering me since the beginning of this, and was amped up here in a round where even if the questions differed, they used the exact same PROGRESSION for TYPES of questions. The moment I noticed that (when Yeji wisely skipped the question we saw katherine struggle with) this was driven home to me--I was cheering Yeji for being smart enough to do so (and rolled my eyes at Vanya NOT being smart in that way), but also it instantly occurred to me that they never should have allowed that situation to exist in the first place. They needed a holding area in back where the kids waited until it was their turn.

EDIT - Ah, I see others have already pointed this out.

You know for a bunch of supposedly smart people, MENSA did this really stupidly.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Hooray Vanya! Happy for her win. She seems like a genuinely nice girl with an intense but loving dad.

$100,000 pays for a lot of water!

Where is your God now, Graham?

In the Tub.

(and Graham is maybe in their with him, looking at that one text book they held onto because it had a picture of a Virgin. Sexay!!!!!!)

Ryan's family is the worst, and that sucks because Ryan seems like such an awesome little kid. He's witty and honest, but his terrible mother is warping him into someone who has to lash out simply to protect himself and his emotions. I lived in Asia for a few years and found that the abrasive, assholish nature that Ryan's mom exudes was very typical of mainland Chinese people. I guess it's a culture thing. 

Vanya is such a bright girl both in terms of intelligence and her personality. I can see her being class president and homecoming queen lol. I guess the case can be made that she had an advantage being the oldest contestant. She also definitely had the most structured and intensive coaching coming from her father, so I wonder how much of a genius she truly is. Hopefully in future seasons they do a little more with logical reasoning instead of memorization of facts and things like root word strategies. I did like her parents a lot. Yes her dad was super involved and even pushy, but he did it with kindness and respect for his daughter. 

Yeji is a freaking sweetheart. She quickly became my favorite and I only wish the producers had introduced her a little earlier. It was so awesome to see her gain some confidence in herself. Her parents definitely seem the most normal and supportive in the right way. They done did a good job. 

Katherine: a true whiz kid. Her parents aren't terrible by any means but I wasn't a fan of them either. 

Graham: so exuberant and happy. Too bad his parents are nuts. 

• Love 2

Kromm you have a point about the kids being able to see each the order of the questions and yeah Katherine's dad does kinda have a point but I don't know what he expected the judges to do about it; start the round all over again??  Geez....

But as someone pointed out further up it doesn't really matter how much time was spent on that one question as long as the other questions where answered quickly.  Vanya tried that question, still got it wrong, and still ended up winning because (I guess) she was quick on the other questions.  The card memorization was just one factor in who won.

• Love 1

Here I am, an atheist standing up for Graham's parents.  They seem like wonderful, grounded, hard-working people who are raising smart, kind, and seemingly "regular" kids. They seem to be very God-centered and that affects all decisions in their lives.   There was no pressure on Graham, no rude talk or threats...just an extremely proud (and surprised) mother. Seeing their relationship, humility, and the trust they had was heartwarming.

I miss Binyamin and his dad!

Have I said this before?  I see a reality show (or maybe movie parts) for the dad.

I bet if we see a 2nd season then they will change how that round is played and the other kids likely won't be in the room.  It's just one of those things where you don't realize how it can possibly change an outcome (if it did at all).  So I see Katherine's dad's point but at that point there was nothing that could be done.

We also don't see their entire round of answering questions so it's hard to tell if it had any effect at all.  I think the argument was that the harder questions were at the beginning and they got easier as they went on.  I'm not so sure I believe that. 

I wanted to revive this forum since Child Genius will return, Thursday Jan 7th on Lifetime YAY!  I visited the mylifetime website to check out the kids and looks like a good group of cutie pies.  http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/child-genius?&mkwid=s|dc_pcrid_80697649232_pkw_child%20genius%20on%20lifetime_pmt_b&utm_source=ltd_tune_google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=child%20genius%20on%20lifetime&utm_campaign=G_Child+Genius_Tune_Show_Search&paidlink=1&cmpid=PaidSearch_ltd_tune_google_G_Child+Genius_Tune_Show_Search_child%20genius%20on%20lifetime&gclid=CKf7v8jMk8oCFUc9gQodxCgHuQ

Hope all that is fun and snarky will be discussed here

• Love 1

I'm excited for the start of this season.  Second seasons of reality shows run the risk of having contestants who go overboard giving the producers what they think the producers want.  But I'm hoping that these kids are not that type.  I'm more worried about the parents in that regard, but I think ridiculous parents are actually entertaining.

Now drink some more water!

• Love 1

Just finished season 1. Ugh. So hard to see the kids cry.

But all 4 were just such sweethearts. And I was thrilled to see the diversity in the children.

I think Katherine's father was a sore loser and I honestly didn't see his point. 

I would have been happy if any of those 3 won. 

• Love 1

Wow the parents are really coming out guns-a-blazin' this time aren't they?  Geez it seems like the majority of the parents this time around are off their rocker. 

But as usual I like all the kids and a few are starting to stand out as early favs. 

• Love 1

I didn't like Chance's mom at all. Geez woman, let the kid be a kid once in a while. I think she'll be in my top 3 most hated parents this season.

I liked Selah and her family, but it makes me so sad when I see overweight parents who pass their poor eating habits on to their kids. Poor Selah is only 9, she'll be obese by the time she's a teenager, and I blame her parents.

I felt bad for the blonde girl, I forget her name. It seems like her nerves took over. Poor thing.

I don't really see Adrian ever moving out of his mom's house.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

Ok is it just me oooorrrr.....are these kids really not handling the stress this time around?  Good grief kids flipping out in the first week.  Between the poor blonde haired girl who couldn't even finish the round to that young man who was questioning if he got more than 52 cards to memorize....REALLY?!  WTH did you think the people who organized the competition really slip you extra cards to memorize?

I feel bad for saying this because despite their I.Q.s they are still just kids and the parents seem to be off the charts this season but come on--this can't be your first timed test or competition....why are you wiggin out so early?

• Love 1

Adrian, my hands down favorite. He is adorable and so very talented. His playing was unbelievable. I don't think that he will need this show for a scholarship to an Ivy. His musical skills will rightly get him there. He does not need this show at all. Sorry, but blonde haired melt down girl has much bigger issues going on and putting her in this was not a good idea. She punches walls because she is upset or bored. It is definitely a flag. Something is off there and she needs professional help before she hits adolescence and starts really acting out. MMV

• Love 3

Did you guys think it was weird how poorly they did in the math section this year? I remember being mad impressed last season with the mental math stuff, but they seemed not that far above avg this year... or maybe im crazy :)

• Love 3

I am so stunned that this is back! The child abuse on this show makes Abby Lee look like a fairy godmother!

Not much representation of lower socio-economic classes, are there? Nothing like being well-off to help a kid be "gifted." Well, except Adrian, and Harvard has a program that gives kids whose families make under a certain income level (I want to say 80K or 100K) full tuition. Plus he is sure to get other money to defray other costs. I hope he is not planning to head off to college anytime soon. He's just a baby.

The parents, yikes. Not sorry to see that first girl's mom go. She was rude to everyone from the outset. I think it was the wall-punching girl who got eliminated. No big surprise there. Apple--tree. I think kids were cast for their parents big time this year!

I too was surprised at the kids' math performance. I'm wondering if nerves didn't play a part in so many doing not very well. The whole competition is a big memorization contest. So, I guess I'm betting on Chancellor for the win.

• Love 3

I really don't like that these are all new kids. It's not like the previous kids just went poof, up in smoke, since last season. It makes it feel like the show is more "cast" for backstory than for whoever placed best in some qualifying round.

And ugh. We got the "god card" pulled again this season. So frustrating that otherwise super-intelligent kids have this forced down their throats and into their brains.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
Did you guys think it was weird how poorly they did in the math section this year? I remember being mad impressed last season with the mental math stuff, but they seemed not that far above avg this year... or maybe im crazy :)

I too was surprised at the kids' math performance. I'm wondering if nerves didn't play a part in so many doing not very well. The whole competition is a big memorization contest. So, I guess I'm betting on Chancellor for the win.

I was surprised as well by this; I seem to remember last year quite a few kids flew thru the math portion.  I can't remember if anyone got a perfect score but when the moderator/host/judge mentions that they didn't perform that well makes me take pause.  Now I know I couldn't have done any better BUT I'm not a child genius with an IQ of 140+.  *shrug*

The heavy blonde girl who didn't want to finish the round definitely has a lot of issues and should never have been put on this show - they said she was eating paper (like, wow!) and freaking out in her school class, so let's put her on a high pressure competition reality show and be overbearing - smart one, parents :(.

Adrian is adorable and wow his piano playing is unbelievable. Hopefully his mom starts to get more of a life of her own as he gets older, but I felt the two of them were probably the most likable parent/child team on the show. Rooting for him.

Chancellor seems really bright - their house is really beautiful. Some of these parents are brave attempting to homeschool these kids, I'd be constantly worried I wasn't doing enough unless I was equally as smart myself (maybe that mom is though).

Jared seems like a nice kid too - the mom is kind of annoying w/ the goofy food and her overly perky attitude, but I like him and I'm rooting for him. He's the Vanya of this season ;).

That mom w/ the tennis kid is either getting a very bad edit or she's just awful. The bragging about her "private school" - like please, I bet 90% of them on that show do some type of alternative or private school. And your extremely gifted kid shouldn't need 4 hours of math tutoring just to do that math round. If that's representative of what parents are like in Silicon Valley, no way I'd want to live there! And I really don't know her statement about top athletes also having top intelligence? I believe musical ability goes a long w/ intelligence, but not really athelticism.

I agree that last year's contestants as a whole seemed to be smarter, and this years' seem to be picked more for their parental drama potential, but I guess we'll see as things go on.

• Love 2

I'm not glad the last girl had a breakdown and ended up underneath the table.  

But I am glad that she withdrew.  Because otherwise, I think she would have had an unfair advantage as soon as her parents told her exactly how many cards she had to memorize to not finish last.

I guess the Production person who called the parents backstage didn't think to warn them not to say anything because he naively assumed that the parents would be more focused on their daughter than on the competition.

• Love 4

Thoughts on episode 1:

Why is Jenna obese when her sister and parents are not.. I also think her parents shouldn't have put her in the show, she wasn't mentally strong enough for the pressure.
That 1st kid shown, with the stuck up parents, very hard to watch, seems like quite a brat, and not particularly bright. Oh ugh, and he's religious too.
Woah, Chancellor is rich. Just woah. They all seem rich so far.. He seems like a brat too.
The hippy kid could be okay.. As could the Russian one.
I was also surprised the maths section was pretty poorly done.

• Love 1
That mom w/ the tennis kid is either getting a very bad edit or she's just awful. The bragging about her "private school" - like please, I bet 90% of them on that show do some type of alternative or private school. And your extremely gifted kid shouldn't need 4 hours of math tutoring just to do that math round. If that's representative of what parents are like in Silicon Valley, no way I'd want to live there! And I really don't know her statement about top athletes also having top intelligence? I believe musical ability goes a long w/ intelligence, but not really athelticism.

If my memory is correct this is also the same mom who within 2.7 seconds of the interview starting yapping about how many books she had written and them being on NY Best Seller's List.  Oh brother here we go with another parent living thru their kids...

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 4

Yeah that's her. She was really obnoxious like they were somehow so superior than everyone else there - like I wanted to say to her - "lady, all the other kids are smart and talented too, get over yourself and stop acting like your kid is entitled to win just cause of who you are and how many awards and titles you all have".

• Love 2

I really don't like that these are all new kids. It's not like the previous kids just went poof, up in smoke, since last season. It makes it feel like the show is more "cast" for backstory than for whoever placed best in some qualifying round.

Why would they bring back the previous set of kids?  It's a contest to win money and they are contestants.  I think it would be an unfair advantage to bring some of them back to compete again.  And kinda odd to just do another round of tests for a new scholarship or whatever they win.

I'm not glad the last girl had a breakdown and ended up underneath the table.  

But I am glad that she withdrew.  Because otherwise, I think she would have had an unfair advantage as soon as her parents told her exactly how many cards she had to memorize to not finish last.

I guess the Production person who called the parents backstage didn't think to warn them not to say anything because he naively assumed that the parents would be more focused on their daughter than on the competition.

After the mom told her how many she had to memorize I thought "uhhhh UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!!!!" 

I was curious as to what they would have done with that slip of info if she had agreed to continue on.

• Love 3

If that's representative of what parents are like in Silicon Valley, no way I'd want to live there! 

It unfortunately totally is. I grew up in the Silicon Valley (now 23) and some parents there are exactly this crazy. 

• Love 1

I rewatched the first episode and on a side note that woman has a big mouth.  And I mean that both figuratively and literally.  What.the.FUDGE is going on with her teeth?  Gak pull those things back into your mouth.  Of course I would never even bring this up if the woman was at least tolerable.

Yeesh! That poor child with the parents being in the dark on nutrition and what sugar does to a body. The candy and the Diet Coke...no wonder the kid crashed. I'd like to give her some fruit through the tv. Poor thing. 

Clair is super cute and I like her attitude. I fear for the 'no-schooled' kid and his lisp. He seems really socially awkward and I hope he gets a little socialization soon. I love the kid who sneaks into the closet and reads books. Who wouldn't want a kid who just sits and reads and imagines his brain as a castle? 

I also love the Russian mom. She seems down to earth and doesn't seem to be putting pressure on her kid, it's what he wants to do. 

Is it sad that I'm proud of myself that I answered many of the questions right even the show is called '*child* genius?' 

• Love 3

I know Drake and his crazy mom a bit...She has created this persona, the powerful well-connected Silicon Valley entrepreneur out of whole cloth.  I'm quite sure her "best seller" numbers are the result of buying up enough copies herself to put it there.  I'm sure she wrote or paid others to write, the 4-star reviews. The sad part is Drake is not a bad kid, but I think of him as neither a genius nor a tennis star.  He is not stupid and goes to an uber-competitive school, but I'd guess he is NOT among the very top students.  He is also an ok tennis player, but with little competitive experience to speak of.  I'm guessing that the actual top kid tennis players in his area don't even know who he is. It's fundamentally sad that mom is forcing him to live out her weird publicity-mad life. 

• Love 5

That was some episode.

"Non-Schooling"

Feeding Gummy Bears to a kid for correct answers like rewarding a seal for clapping.

"We tell our daughter she's not smart so she'll work harder"

"It's better to fail and try than not to fail at all" (?!?)

And I need some back-story on Gianna's parents and their relationship, because I think that would be fascinating.

• Love 6

Adrian, my hands down favorite. He is adorable and so very talented. His playing was unbelievable. I don't think that he will need this show for a scholarship to an Ivy. His musical skills will rightly get him there. He does not need this show at all. 

Adrian was on America's Got Talent maybe two seasons ago. He's quite good.  He reminds me so much of my middle school/high school best friend that it's scary (he's currently a highly successful individual who also moonlights as a drag queen).

Poor Selah...clearly her parents have been popping candy in her mouth as a reward for the better part of her life.  I felt like I was watching Toddlers and Tiaras: Genius Edition with that one.  

Edited by Indy
  • Love 4

Praise Jesus!  Mom and her teeth and A-hole dad are going back to Silicon Valley!  =D  Yeah too bad for Drake, he seems like an okay kid just sucks he has to live with them.

"Non-Schooling"

I'm still on the fence about this.  It seems to be working for Jaden and it does seem to give him a wide range of interests....and he does seem to have a very sweet, kind disposition about him so maybe so.  His mom is starting to bug a bit with the wholesome foods routine though.  I've known a few people in my life who live this gluten free, sugar free, organic food lifestyle and yeah they come across as a bit uppity puppity about it. 

Three cheers for Arnav!  He's my new favorite!  Any kid who is a lover of books is a-ok in my book.  And yeah I can totally understand the reading in the bathroom for some dang peace! 

• Love 3
"We tell our daughter she's not smart so she'll work harder"

This made me laugh. I was watching with my 12 year-old and I said, "That's a great idea!" and he said, "But if she's smart, she's smart enough to know that she's not dumb."

Truthfully, Claire's mom is practicing something that a lot of experts advise - to put the emphasis on hard work and not on inborn smarts. If you compliment kids for being smart, that tends to make them try less and get frustrated more easily. If you compliment them for working hard, they succeed more often and are more satisfied with their accomplishments.

Plus, Claire seems adorable and pretty well adjusted for how hard she is being pushed.

• Love 2

This show shouldn't be called "Child Genius."  A genius is someone with an IQ above 160.  Several of these kids have IQ's in the 140's or 150's.  This show should be called, "Smart Kids and their Stupid Parents," or some other more appropriate title.

I watch it because I want to see the meltdowns.  I know, shame on me!

Edited by Dominii
  • Love 5

Even a normal kid should be able to spell "register", good thing Drake('s mother) is gone.

Poor Gianna, her parents are making it difficult for her.

I like Adrian and his mother so far, Olga had a nice quote about making people do better.

Arnav is being a bit bratty crying for a 9/10. Why do people even keep studying, Drake got 0/10 1st round so even if he gets 10/10, they only need 1 point.

Really Selah, BELGIUM borders Bulgaria?

I'm liking Claire a lot so far.