Type keyword(s) to search

Child Genius - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow.  JUST got to the point in Episode 6 where the Duggar-like Mom talks about how "education isn't the most important thing, the most important thing is for 'us' (the children?  the world?) all to become Christians and know God".

I did love that for all their "teaching", their little girl is still a fairly typical kid of that age (meaning, half-sociopathic--she's at that age before kids grow out of that) where she notes "that prize is just for HIM!").

• Love 2

I loved when Ryan's mom said something along the lines of "Katharine competitive and do well because she's Chinese girl." and Ryan said, "Mom, you're only saying that because you're a Chinese girl." Bwhahaha!!! That kid cracks me up! Count me among the people who love Child Genius because it shows kids getting recognized for their intelligence and positive qualities, and not the bad, bratty or destructive behavior that kids portray on many other shows. I've been pleased to be able to watch this with my 8-year-old daughter, and she enjoys it too. Glad there will be a second season!

Edited by tosquita
  • Love 5

NOOOOOOOOO!!

Binyamin crying just broke my heart. Poor kid.

Actually I wouldn't put it in those terms.  He's not.

I mean the worst he has to suffer is a little disappointment.  Compare that to Ryan, who if he doesn't win will be harangued, probably for the rest of his life, about this.  Whereas Binyamin's father will probably shrug, say it's a shame, and give the kid a few more karate lessons.  Really Binyamin wins in the parenting game, so I don't really feel that sorry for him.

Not that this is a criticism of him crying.  That's fine.  But it doesn't summon pity from me, because there's every sign he'll be over it pretty quickly (and to top it off, his father wasn't even bothered by the crying, putting another checkmark in that guy's column).

• Love 3

I mean the worst he has to suffer is a little disappointment.  Compare that to Ryan, who if he doesn't win will be harangued, probably for the rest of his life, about this. 

Of all the parents, Ryan's are the only ones I can see really laying into him if he loses.  Binny's dad prolly just hugged him and said: "It's ok babe, let's practice some Tai Chi!"  Oh, and if Vanya loses (though I'm hoping she won't) her dad will just say: "Please drink some more water." :)

• Love 2
Binny's dad prolly just hugged him and said: "It's ok babe, let's practice some Tai Chi!"

I agree that Binyamin has one of the best dads in this competition.  It's the fond memories of him bonding with his dad that he'll remember not some competition.  He'll the get the college fund some other way.  I was simply bummed & upset he left because he seemed upset about it.  I know he'll probably get over it quickly but I like the kid so much and I don't like seeing someone like that in pain--even if it is just for a minute ;) 

I loved when Ryan's mom said something along the lines of "Katharine competitive and do well because she's Chinese girl." and Ryan said, "Mom, you're only saying that because you're a Chinese girl." Bwhahaha!!! That kid cracks me up! Count me among the people who love Child Genius because it shows kids getting recognized for their intelligence and positive qualities, and not the bad, bratty or destructive behavior that kids portray on many other shows. I've been pleased to be able to watch this with my 8-year-old daughter, and she enjoys it too. Glad there will be a second season!

You took the words right out of my mouth!  What originally attracted me to this show was the idea of a competition of intelligence (something so rare on reality tv) and the fact that it's children....BRILLIANT!  The intelligence without the snobby attitude that sometimes (sometimes) comes with adults who have high I.Q.s.  The thing with the parents is funny in a situation like Ryan where he can stand up to them and honestly have wonderful comebacks.  I'm glad were not seeing abusive parents to the point where it's crippling a child's self esteem.  Ryan just seems to roll with the punches--really, really like that kid =)

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 1

My daughter is in her school's gifted group and her teacher talked to the class about the show. My daughter is only 1 of 3 kids that are allowed any tv in the group(religion mixed with Tiger Moms) so she volunteered to watch the show and tell what she thought.

She and I wondered are the questions all from a packet or study guide or random. My daughter has been in several bees and they have given her large packets of information and all the questions come from those packets. We both felt like this is what is happening her so besides that one logic? round(the one where they had to guess the number of triangles) the rest is really just a memory game. The kid that won the geography bee my daughter was in slowly pronounced words, you could tell he didn't really know the meaning of the answer and was just memorizing facts.

My daughter group is the top 20 kids out of over 2000 and they fall into two groups, kids that work hard and come from homes that have no tv/limited internet/no sports, usually just music lessons and academics. These kids can pass a test but have little creativity and pop quizzes are not always passed with ease. There are a few kids that fall into the creative gifted group, ones that explore art, travel, are more outgoing and well rounded. It is easily seen on certain benchmark type tests. We live in an rural area with one religion representing 99% of the student body and few kids have traveled much. The benchmark on world religions had only 2 kids pass was very telling. I have watched this group through the years and there is a place for each of them, being great at memorizing and taking advanced math and science will land you a decent future.

I am confused about this competition in general. I wanted to read up on it without spoilers since I believe it was taped last summer. There was a lot on Graham who seem to indicate he flew to California twice only, even thought he show edits him being home between rounds? His mom was complaining about missing the family but Graham says it was the first time his siblings flew on a plane. Unlike the other contestants Graham's number one goal in life is to be a dad to 6 kids (Wondering if they are quiverfull like the Duggars). I also can't see Ryan's parents moving to a hotel for 10 weeks to help him get the edge. Why would the kids be asked 30 questions a week and sent home to study for a week. This had to be filmed over just a few days or 1 week?

While I question the editing, It isn't a bad show to tweens to watch. I predict Vanya wins unless there are some odd subjects coming up. She has the memorizing skills and the experience.

• Love 1

Thanks for your insights silverspoons! I willhave to reread your post a few times again after tonight's episode. I was also curious if the children that lived out of state really had to fly back and forth every few days. Also I wondered if what the children were shown reading were material given to them by the competition and they contained all the answers to the questions asked. If so then yeah the contest is simply memorizing the paperwork *shrug* and is that really the measure of a true genius or just a child you has excellent study skills and above average intelligence.

I don't know what exactly I expected this show to be, but an academic version of Dance Moms wasn't it. Far too much emphasis on the parents and the children's home life. I'm also not swayed by any of the contestants' supposed IQs, because all these test is a person's study habits and ability to retain random facts. I'd like to see how a bunch of 100 IQ kids would do -- my sense is not that much different.

If the producers expect viewers to take the show seriously, they need to get their stupid rules straight and be prepared for challenges. They're acting like a group of 5th grade teachers who set up a card table in the cafe-gym-a-torium and started reading off Trivial Pursuit questions.

Ryan's brother can shut it.

• Love 2

My daughter has been in several bees and they have given her large packets of information and all the questions come from those packets.

Thank you Silverspoons for your insight. My daughter and son-in-law are raising a family member's child that will participate in a history/geography bee this weekend and I was wondering how the kids could possibly know what to study (interestingly she has Asperger's and has a voracious memory for facts which may serve her well if it's about memorization)

FREE RYAN! I admire Ryan's spirit and tenacity. I'm hoping his mother was amplifying her actions a bit for the camera and now she can settle down (I was a little shocked by Ryan's dad having that conniption in the hotel room though - and his brother is a mean little man in training)

• Love 2
Ryan's brother can shut it.

In all fairness to Ryan's brother, Alan, he did try to defend Ryan.  It was him who was saying it's all your fault to his mom after the competition.  I still stand beside my opinion on Alan; he simply behaves as a 15-yr-old boy is going to behave.  Yeah he gave Ryan a lot of sh*! for losing the competition and in turn his chance at a new computer (perhaps he picked on him too much) but he did stand up for him when Ryan needed it.

And how sweet were Vanya's parents to try and comfort him

IKR!  Actually a lot of the parents approached Ryan to congratulate him.  Water or no water Vanya's parents are really becoming my fav of the the group.  I wonder where the other children where at though; it would have been nice to see them rally around Ryan a bit.  Maybe all of them could have gone out for dessert or to an arcade to blow off some steam. 

I hope either Vanya or Yeji wins this competition.  Katherine & her parents kinda soured me this episode.  =(  She's gone beyond confidence and it's just cockiness now that I see.  This whole I've got this wrapped up because I'm such a genius attitude to starting to bug me.

• Love 1

Poor Ryan. The way his parents were like "he's a boy, it doesn't matter" as he CRIED. I wanted to punch them. I'm so glad the other parents were so positive and giving him the affection he cleary needed.

I actually like Katherine's parents. They have never said anything ba about another competitior on camera at least. They are a little cocky but their child has a friggin mind palace. Id be confident too.

But Yeji or Vanya are who I am rooting for. I feel like Graham will win though. And it'll be because God lives him more! I'm kidding. He's very bright. I do wonder if he might have a photographic memory or a very high functioning autism (I have two kids, one with each) because he memorized an entire atlas, not to mention the hurricanes. Normal brains, even with genius don't have that memorization power. My 3 year old with the photographic memory probably could. She freaks all of us out. lol in a good way. I don't know where that gene came from. I can remember what I had for breakfast.

• Love 3

Katherine & her parents kinda soured me this episode.  =(  She's gone beyond confidence and it's just cockiness now that I see.  This whole I've got this wrapped up because I'm such a genius attitude to starting to bug me.

It's the smirk. I almost feel bad for her because she seems like a sweet kid otherwise (her turning around to fist-bump Yeji from the opposite ends of the seats after Yeji outscored her was downright adorable), and I'm not even sure she's aware of the faces she's making, but the instantaneous eager-beaver "I'm so awesome" smirk that crosses her face every time she does well makes me stabby. Her mom also makes the exact same face, which makes me worry that she doesn't have any role model for gracious winning to help her grow out of it. That smug, self-satisfied shit is annoying in a kid, but downright insufferable in an adult.

• Love 2

It's the smirk. I almost feel bad for her because she seems like a sweet kid otherwise (her turning around to fist-bump Yeji from the opposite ends of the seats after Yeji outscored her was downright adorable), and I'm not even sure she's aware of the faces she's making, but the instantaneous eager-beaver "I'm so awesome" smirk that crosses her face every time she does well makes me stabby. Her mom also makes the exact same face, which makes me worry that she doesn't have any role model for gracious winning to help her grow out of it. That smug, self-satisfied shit is annoying in a kid, but downright insufferable in an adult.

Knowing these shows I have to wonder if she is really making those smirks right after the others get it wrong or if they are just editing it that way.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

To her credit (or the editors, lol), the faces hardly ever occur while the others are competing - it those situations she usually has more of an appropriate poker face. The smug smirks come following her own rounds and confessionals. I think she either doesn't realize she's doing it, or just hasn't matured enough to internalize the "we don't go around gloating about how awesome we are" self-effacing behavior that society expects of us. Even Duggar Jr knows how to behave more graciously, despite thinking himself God's Chosen One.

• Love 1

Duggar Junior probably doesn't like Literature, because the only book that his family endorses is "The Good Book".  All other books are heresy.  

At least we're finally done with Ryan's sad story. Except he has to live with it--and his Mom will no doubt remind him of it daily every day for the rest of his life. The word "Focus" is going to give him nightmares for the rest of his life.

Vanya's mom showed herself as a class act, being nicer and more understanding with Ryan than his own mother.

• Love 3

I think the producers not only enjoyed the drama they could milk out of Ryan's horrific parents, but they may have really disliked them too (based on opting to include footage clearly showing camera crew in the image). Usually that footage would end up on the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.

I was hoping we would get to see the show's psychologists debriefing Ryan and trying to undo the damage the show took on him.

• Love 1
I think the producers not only enjoyed the drama they could milk out of Ryan's horrific parents, but they may have really disliked them too (based on opting to include footage clearly showing camera crew in the image). Usually that footage would end up on the digital equivalent of the cutting room floor.

I noticed this as well.  I found it odd that the producers would choose to show Ryan's departure differently than everyone else.  IDK something just didn't fell right with his exit.  Typical Hollywood would want to cash in on a poor child's pain and disappointment--and it seemed more so with Ryan than any other kid in the competition.   I pray, pray, PRAY that the tiger mommy bit was played up for the cameras and Ryan's mom isn't really like that 24/7. 

Vanya's mom showed herself as a class act, being nicer and more understanding with Ryan than his own mother.

It's easy to be understanding when it's not your kid the one leaving.

Edited by Katara
  • Love 1

Binyamin's dad kept reminding me of Avi from Ray Donovan.  I kept looking for Ray in the audience in fact, with his five o'clock shadow and jacket/no tie.  Ryan's brother was consistently arrogant and obnoxious, you can tell Ryan can't stand him.  Ryan's mother's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  Her comments to Ryan after he got eliminated that winning didn't matter and it was only about him doing his best rang hollow; up until that moment it was all about winning for her.  Vanya got a break from her dad this week.  With all the water he forces her to drink, every time she gets asked a question I expect to hear glub-glub and water pouring down her chin.  Yeji is a sweetie, Katherine a little to "perfect".  It's a shame to see Graham's intelligent mind handicapped by Creationism.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I feel like Ryan is going to go wild (I can't think of a different/better word right now) when he goes to college. I see him joining a fraternity and having the time of his fucking life. And I also do not see him going back home.

Yeji reminds me of Charlyne Yi who usually plays Jodi in some of Judd Apatow's fims. She's so stinking cute!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

I wonder if any of these kids plays sports or are into non-academic activities? My oldest has high functioning autism and I feel like he has better social skills then a lot of the kids in my daughter's gifted group. So many of the gifted kids are clueless about sports, pop culture, and how the real world operates it is amazing. There is one very smart Asian child in my daughter's group who really wants to play basketball but the parents say no. They have had a college goal since birth basically and that is their entire life. The family doesn't celebrate birthdays or holidays, all gifts are attached to good grades. I've always felt like the most successful kids are in an upper-middle tier not the super gifted group. I always tell my daughter I would rather see a 95 on a test and have her have sleepovers, play sports and be into her various art medias then be a 100% student with no life outside of studies.

As much as I am not a fan of the Duggar-Graham lifestyle I bet he does get more outside activites. He is active at his church and has lots of siblings and is in mainstream public school. I can see him shooting hoops with church friends. I have a hard time believing any of the other finalists do much outside of study.

My daughter made it to the next round of the national history fair and the science Olympiad so we will have to travel in the next few weeks. I am going to watch more closely the parents and kids. I'm still a bit suspect about this competition. If you look up the national history fair or Science Olympiad or geography or spelling bees, there is lots of information and almost every public has an opportunity to have kids participate. This Intelligence Competition for Child genius seems very made for tv? Again I'm trying to avoid spoilers but I did see early 2014 casting calls for kids for the show.

• Love 2

I wonder if any of these kids plays sports or are into non-academic activities?

. I have a hard time believing any of the other finalists do much outside of study.

In the talking heads we learned that Katharine does ballet and piano.  Vanya plays the tuba.  Ryan was in Scouts and Binyamin was into various forms of Eastern   martial arts (tee hee!).  Yeiji is a voracious reader.  I think these kids are well-rounded in addition to being super-smart.

• Love 3

There was a child genius show in the uk a couple of years ago with a very similar format. Mensa IQ sponsored. What entertains me is scripps ran the spelling bee portion in the same format as a bee. Not so in the us version.

• Love 2

I think Katherine is getting a bad rap, and Yeiji lauded even while making a similar happy/smirky face. We don't know at what point the faces are made, except because they're seated on stage we know it's sometime during the competition portion. I especially noticed in the last episode they showed several Yeiji smirks when Katherine missed a question.

I like them both, and I think Katherine just has a weird kids version of RBF relative to her smile or maybe no poker face. I think happy is being translated as gloating.

Ryan. His parents were relentless, but I don't think they were horrible or abusive or anything. They were pushing in the way they knew how. For sure I'm not worried about what will happen when he goes home; no kid who so freely tells his mother to "shut up" the way he does is worried about harsh repercussions. They're relentless, but he's rude as fuck. The worst that will happen is he'll forever be reminded that he lost by not focusing and taking it seriously enough anytime he does anything else from now on. And to be honest, from what was shown, I DON'T think he took it seriously until he came in last, and ultimately was eliminated. Then he cried, lots. Because he knew he blew it. He strikes me as one of those smart kids to whom everything comes easily and he was up against people as good, or better. Too little, too late.

• Love 3

Ryan. His parents were relentless, but I don't think they were horrible or abusive or anything. They were pushing in the way they knew how. For sure I'm not worried about what will happen when he goes home; no kid who so freely tells his mother to "shut up" the way he does is worried about harsh repercussions. They're relentless, but he's rude as fuck. The worst that will happen is he'll forever be reminded that he lost by not focusing and taking it seriously enough anytime he does anything else from now on. And to be honest, from what was shown, I DON'T think he took it seriously until he came in last, and ultimately was eliminated. Then he cried, lots. Because he knew he blew it. He strikes me as one of those smart kids to whom everything comes easily and he was up against people as good, or better. Too little, too late.

You hit the nail on the head there.

• Love 1

In the talking heads we learned that Katharine does ballet and piano.  Vanya plays the tuba.  Ryan was in Scouts and Binyamin was into various forms of Eastern   martial arts (tee hee!).  Yeiji is a voracious reader.  I think these kids are well-rounded in addition to being super-smart.

I missed the first 2-3 episodes so I appreciate your information. I would like to see them do a team sport or something more social. I like Yegii but being a reader of 10 books a day isn't a really different hobby or activity then studying.  I bet Ryan being a scout is for the college resume. So many people unless you live in Utah(and it is for religion) think eagle scout is the part of the perfect path to college. It is very easy to be a scout and not interact much with other kids. It is not the camp outs and fun of the past. My son took his scout classes at the community college in a large group and did a project on his own.

As for music, most middle schools require a fine art. I would assume most of these kids go to the "best school in the district" that offers the best extras. At my kids schools they offer dance and weights instead of traditional PE after 5th grade. I'm glad these kids say they play a musical instrument but I would be shocked if it was not some part of school. All 20 of the kids in my daughter's group are in the school orchestra or band, you should see the fight for first chair! actually picking the tuba (or a full size base) is usually done by the student looking to kiss up the most since it is the spot the teacher is always needing someone for.

I guess I would have liked to see one of the kids talking about playing soccer or basketball or having a love of ceramics or painting.

• Love 1

Children are allowed to be different. Not everybody wants or enjoys what you think they should. I was a huge reader in my childhood and that was both fun and informative for me. I also had to play sports in school, and I ended up being the captain of my team, but the enjoyment I derrived from winning games and championships was pale and insignifiant when compared to reading.

• Love 4

I bet Ryan being a scout is for the college resume. .

I guess I would have liked to see one of the kids talking about playing soccer or basketball or having a love of ceramics or painting.

If you  didn't see the first eps then you don't know that Ryan did Scouts in defiance of his parents who wanted him to stay home studying for the competition instead of camping with his friends.

I think that most of the kids in this group are  well-adjusted, well-rounded, and well-socialized. At least one of them is also very well-hydrated. ;)  But I see your point.  Having had first-hand experience with Tiger parents, I know that sometimes having a kid do a flurry of extra-curriculars is just resume-building for the Ivy League.  Also I've noticed that Tiger Parents tend to prioritize  some"high-status" activities over others:  violin/piano over say, guitar and drums,  fencing/gymnastics over basketball/baseball, chess club over drama, etc. 

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 1

If the kids want to play basketball and soccer, or whatever, they should be allowed to do it. But doing any particular activity solely to be more "well-rounded" seems as misguided as doing it to look better on a college application.

In Yeji's case, it's been clearly established that 1) she enjoys reading books for pleasure (no one reads ten books in a day unless they really want to) and 2) her parents are definitely NOT pushing her to do so, as they tried to get her to stop reading during the competition. Why would it ever be wrong for her to have a benign hobby that she enjoys? (Admittedly, I'm defensive about this, as my mother used to carp "put down that book and go get some fresh air!" every weekend when I was a kid.)

• Love 2

Admittedly, I'm defensive about this, as my mother used to carp "put down that book and go get some fresh air!" every weekend when I was a kid.

What about, "You're going to ruin your eyes!"  ;)

I always tell my daughter I would rather see a 95 on a test and have her have sleepovers, play sports and be into her various art medias then be a 100% student with no life outside of studies.

95 is still an A. What's the cut-off for fewer sleepovers and more studying? 85%? 70%? That's still passing.

• Love 1

I feel like Ryan is going to go wild (I can't think of a different/better word right now) when he goes to college. I see him joining a fraternity and having the time of his fucking life. And I also do not see him going back home.

Most definitely.  That kid is going to rebel hard when he's old enough. 

And they definitely get a study packet.  One of the very early episodes (1 or 2) someone got an question and they said "that wasn't in the study material" or something like that. I think it was the girl who got booted first.  

• Love 1

The order of the final four was perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. When does that ever happen on a reality show? Go Vanya and Yeji!

Still thoroughly confused as to what Katherine's father actually expected the judges to *do* about all his whining. Throw out the match and start over, as long as someone else went first (tough luck, kids who answered more questions right - we have to keep doing this until Katherine scores!) Redo Katherine's turn selectively? Give her a bunch of token points? How is any of that 'more fair'? What a terrible role model - sit down and stop carrying on like a baby.

• Love 4

This show featured more bad behavior by the parents than any of the kids.  My daughter had a Chemistry class with Tanishq last semester and she didn't know he was on this show until after the semester ended and she saw a reference to the show on a post on his facebook page (a friend asking him about it--not Tanishq posting himself about it).  My daughter sat right next to him in lab for months and he never even mentioned the show and she said he was just really smart and funny and didn't seem arrogant at all.  It was unfortunate that his mother's behavior was so "sour grapes, poor sportsmanship".  She did not come off well at all.  

Everyone has talked about Ryan here and all I hope is that he breaks away from his family sometime and has some supportive relationships.  That family is so toxic it is sad for the 2 boys.

• Love 3

The order of the final four was perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. When does that ever happen on a reality show? Go Vanya and Yeji!

Still thoroughly confused as to what Katherine's father actually expected the judges to *do* about all his whining. Throw out the match and start over, as long as someone else went first (tough luck, kids who answered more questions right - we have to keep doing this until Katherine scores!) Redo Katherine's turn selectively? Give her a bunch of token points? How is any of that 'more fair'? What a terrible role model - sit down and stop carrying on like a baby.

I was wondering that myself. I kept hoping the judge would ask what he expected him to do.

Haha Graham.

Yay Vanya!!

• Love 2

I am not even a genius and the moment I saw the cards as a question pop up for Katherine I said pass.   I though it was part of the test for the kids to use their time wisely. 

I am happy with the top 2.    I was glad there was a 2nd and 3rd prize too.  I do not like when shows make it all or nothing.

• Love 2

Would be interesting to see how the first round would have played out if the other contestants weren't in the room and didn't know the number to beat (just as they did for the final round). I imagine the placements would have been different.

Yeji was too cute in her little boots that didn't quite touch the ground.

All in all a good series.

Lol at Graham's dad saying 'much more better' (or some variation of that) and trying to correct himself, not doing a great job, and then saying 'Hey I'm from Oklahoma.'

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Katherine's parents can take several seats with all their objections.  Even if she had gone last and answered less questions correctly, they would've claimed "unfair" due to her questions being harder, or her stress at having to sit through everyone else's round, or some other nonsense.  The rules were clear - answer as many questions correctly in the time allotted, and she had less correct answers. I'm sure they would've sneered at any other parent objecting to their own kid having to go first, and I'm glad I don't have to watch or listen to them bitch anymore.

I'm really happy for Vanya and Yeji, and yes, even Graham.

Bring on Season 2!

• Love 3

Hooray Vanya! Happy for her win. She seems like a genuinely nice girl with an intense but loving dad. 

Katherine's parents should have already been aware that it's not just what you know, but how well you play the game. I went to a history/ geography bee for my niece over the weekend. She's smart as a whip but did not play the rounds well and didn't score well. I noticed the kids who did the best were not only knowledgeable but knew how to buzz in quickly and zero in on the info to make educated guesses. My niece did not. Nobody made a fuss because it's a competition and that's what happens. My hope is that Katherine's parents realize they should be proud of their daughter and not try to make excuses or justifications. She won't need college money because by the time she's in high school I bet colleges will be throwing scholarship money at her. 

• Love 3

3 cheers for Vanya!! She has been nothing but a joy to watch and I am over the moon she won!

Katherine's dad was a bit of a sore loser to debate again the rules but still it broke my heart to see her so upset.

Ugh I can't even with Graham's mom!! It's a shame because I like him in general but if I had to listen to his mom blabber one more time about God placing him above everyone else Aaaah!!

• Love 3

I totally saw Kathrine's dad's point. The other kids benefited from Katherine's experience in knowing how hard the questions would be in advance. Katherine had no way of knowing that.  I think what he was hoping was that all four would get to be in the final round since the first round was kind of spoiled for his daughter.  I can understand that and I don't think it was improper for him to try to ameliorate the situation for his daughter.  I haven't been a Katherine fan, but I will not fault him for trying to 'fix' what turned out to be a real disadvantage for his daughter.  

I'm not sure I agree with this (with maybe the exception of Yeji).  Vanya went last and still spent a minute and 15 seconds working on it (and missed it), but still ended up with the top score of 14!  Graham never did well at those things, and anything he knew he wasn't going to do well on he passed.  (Always his strategy).  So, really, only Yeji *maybe* changed up how she played it.  (I don't remember how she did in the memorization round).

Yeji adjusted her approach the next round and probably had a card or two memorized (might get lucky) and when they asked for the whole row she passed.

I'm not sure Katherine's ego would have allowed her to pass on a question she knew she could get.

• Love 3

I like all three kids and think their families are very loving and supportive, so I was very happy that these three made it to the finals, in any order. It's great that Graham and Yeji will get some scholarship money, too.

I do not think Graham's mother was saying he is the best. I think, since he is not a study monster like the others, that she just feels that God has blessed her son with natural intelligence.

I miss Binyamin and his dad!

• Love 2