Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/18/2023 at 5:08 PM, Chippings said:

Any other long-time favorites from earlier seasons ?  

Lots! I can watch Falling for You, Flip that Romance, Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade, Royal Matchmaker, Pearl in Paradise, Just My Type, Falling for Vermont, Christmas by Starlight, and The Christmas House, just to name a few off the top of my head, as many times as they can show them. 

Peacock shows Hallmark Channel movies and I recently watched Hidden Gems. The setting was beautiful, and Hunter King and Beau Mirchoff had good chemistry. There wasn't a stupid misunderstanding either. It was one of the better movies of 2022. 

Some of my favorite Hallmark movies from the past are: Falling for You, The Most Wonderful time of the Year, Snow Bride, Cooking with Love, Royal Matchmaker, Pearl in Paradise.

• Like 1

I enjoyed last night's Love in Zion National. It had an actual plot that carried through the entire movie, so it wasn't just "woman and man fall in love." The leads were likeable, the "boss back home" was supportive throughout instead of nagging the main character for whatever she was supposed to be doing, and the scenery was lovely.

As a museum curator myself, some of the museum/legality stuff was a little ehh, but I could deal with it 😆

Is there a policy that if the movie involves camping, hiking, waterfalls or for that matter, outdoors, Cindy Busby has to star?  She's too old for the male lead (plus I don't like her.)  He's cute and will be a good addition to the Hallmark stable, but not with her.  The scenery might keep me watching, but I have no interest in any romance.

• Like 2

I thought she was too old for him, too. The casting is not her fault; but her voice .. she always sounds like she has a cold. Yes, she does seem to be in most of the “outdoor” movies. I find most of the new male leads young and handsome. But still in the Ken Doll mode in that they all blur. As do most of the movies.

• Like 2

I liked the story. I don't mind the age difference since it's been fine since forever when the male lead is much older. However, I didn't see romantic chemistry between the leads, so that's why that part didn't work for me.

Is eight years really that much of a difference when the people in question are 40 and 32? I didn't notice their ages while watching (I looked them up after people mentioned it here), and it never really occurred to me that she might be too old for him.

The network is maybe trying to replace some of the actors/actresses that they have lost to 1) defections to the other network (name escapes me) and 2) the actors/actresses moving on to other endeavors and roles. I think I am used to seeing Cindy B with some of the previous actors that may not be available now. The new actors are just starting on the channel and I am not used to them. I think I have aged out.

Cindy Busby is on my no list, and it’s a short list.  I was home sick a day earlier this week and thought I could binge watch Hallmark for the day. Tuned in and there were back to back CB episodes. Tuned in during lunch the next day and oh look it was her again, and yep, same thing the next day.  I ended up watching the movies and mysteries channel instead, which leads to this....

For those who have enjoyed the chemistry of Lacey and Will Kemp, they have a new dancing movie coming out in a couple of weeks.  Not for discussion in this thread, but I haven’t seen promos on this channel only on the M&M channel.

while so many of the stable of actors are getting on in years and they need new blood, I am seeing some pleasant male leads. But so far not liking any of the new women, especially Fish who previously did the whale movie.

• Like 2

Zion is stunning and they did a good job with shots of the scenery. 

The whole antiquities plot was poorly researched and the chemistry between the leads was non-existent. 

And a cave is hidden away for centuries and a ranger who is also a Native American from that area has never, ever seen it?  Yet two suits in a chopper drop from the sky right on top of it?  That was just beyond ludicrous.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Is eight years really that much of a difference when the people in question are 40 and 32? I didn't notice their ages while watching (I looked them up after people mentioned it here), and it never really occurred to me that she might be too old for him.

I enjoyed the movie! I couldn't tell there was an age difference until I looked up their ages during a commercial break. I think they looked closer in age than Polaha and the female lead in the recent soccer movie. I'm indifferent to Cindy Busby, but there are other Hallmark actresses who could have played this role: Merritt Patterson, Amy Teegarden, Brittany Bristow, Eloise Mumford. I also think Taylor Cole would have been good in this role, even though she is only a year or two younger than Busby!

• Like 2

I personally found Cindy Busby to be cute and charming in this, but I'm still pretty new to these movies and perhaps haven't been overexposed like it sounds like some of you have. I think the only ones I've seen in repeat outings so far are Rhiannon Fish, Aimee Teegarden, and of course the Wedding Veil crew.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, Kemper said:

I think I have aged out.

and

On 5/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

while so many of the stable of actors are getting on in years and they need new blood, I am seeing some pleasant male leads. But so far not liking any of the new women, especially Fish who previously did the whale movie.

I think this might be my issue as well.  I just don't care about most of the new stars, male or female.  I have never had any favourite female leads, just some who were watchable and some who weren't.  I only ever watched these movies for the men.  I enjoyed some stories and yelled at the tv over stupid tropes and misunderstandings, but at the end of the day if I could imagine myself with that guy in an imaginary life, that was good enough for me.  The new guys are younger than my son and I just can't get interested.

I know we have discussed this ad nauseum, but given that the average Hallmark movie watcher is more than likely a middle-aged woman, why do the stories have to be about young love?  One of my first Hallmark crushes was Paul Greene, who at almost 50 is still considerably younger than I am, but I would gladly watch a movie about him as a national park guide who helps the woman who is looking for historic vases to keep them out of the clutches of the bad guys.  If he had to take his shirt off during the course of this movie, well, I think I would be ok with that.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2023 at 5:37 PM, Ele said:

I enjoyed the movie! I couldn't tell there was an age difference until I looked up their ages during a commercial break.

I didn't notice either. 

1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

would gladly watch a movie about him as a national park guide who helps the woman who is looking for historic vases to keep them out of the clutches of the bad guys. 

I'm pretty sure he has basically gone to GAC.  Likely not exclusively as he also did a movie for CBS but pretty much.

• Like 1

I started watching Hallmark Christmas movies about three years ago; not long after my husband died. I had never watched Hallmark movies before but knew pretty much what to expect. Celebrities and professional athletes admitted they loved them- mostly as a guilty pleasure. They were ridiculous in many ways but worked. Now when I see a movie was made in the last year or so … I don’t watch. The network is trying to evolve but what they had before worked in many ways. Tired tropes and all; mostly due to the actors/actresses who were cast. Just my opinion. My age is in the “Senior” range; I have grandkids and cats - which probably explains things. 😼

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm pretty sure he has basically gone to GAC.

I live in Canada and we don't have the Hallmark channel.  The channels that carry Hallmarks also carry non-Hallmark stuff, so some of it might be GAC.  I just want movies with handsome men who graduated more than 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I just checked the schedule for GAC through June 2nd online. There are only two, yes 2, TV movies listed that entire time on a Friday at 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. It is mostly "Murder She Wrote", "Little House on the Prairie", "Full House" and "Colombo". 

I think these actors who left the Hallmark Channel made a huge mistake.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 5/15/2023 at 12:31 AM, Irlandesa said:

Or bad enough? People have come here to praise, criticize and be meh about the movies.

But I liked Dream Moms a lot.  It was different than a lot of Hallmark movies.  I liked the friendship that developed, and even if the musical performances seemed pretty silly, I enjoyed the rest. 

I was watching Dream Moms today and I told my husband this movie is quite different for a Hallmark Movie. "It's......A.......Musical". As soon as I said those words, this popped into my head and I started sing.................

It's a Musical from "Something Rotten"

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 1

I've not watched Hallmark movies since the cooking in Portugal film, but I am looking forward to the Will Kemp/Lacey Chabert dancing rematch (something with Tango in the title).

Loved the Something Rotten shout out in the earlier post. That show is in my top ten list of favorite musicals!

• Like 1
On 5/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, FunnyFace said:

Loved the Something Rotten shout out in the earlier post. That show is in my top ten list of favorite musicals!

"The Producers" is my number one. Another musical choreographed by Susan Stroman. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2023 at 12:56 AM, Clawdette said:

Is anyone watching one of our Hallmark romantic leads, Travis Van Winkle, in FUBAR?

Yes! I would never in a million years believe I would watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger spy show, but decided to check it out because of my Hallmark boyfriend Travis, (who has not been in a Hallmark in far too long...) and I actually quite enjoyed it.  I didn't pay much attention to the spy story, was too distracted by Travis in his beautiful suits (mostly ugly ties, though) and occasional shirtlessness, but will probably watch it again and possibly pay more attention.

I am currently watching Unleashing Mr Darcy and am reminded that not only do I dislike Cindy Busby, but her character is just an outright bitch right from the beginning.  It is in no way indicative of how Elizabeth Bennett interacted with Mr Darcy, who was rude to her first.  She just randomly decided to be a bitch and for reasons I wiIl never understand, Mr. Darcy is captivated by her apparently.

ETA, that new wedding movie with the girl from the Nine Lives movies who thinks it's necessary to show all her teeth whenever she talks will be a non-watch for me.

Edited by bankerchick
(edited)
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

ETA, that new wedding movie with the girl from the Nine Lives movies who thinks it's necessary to show all her teeth whenever she talks will be a non-watch for me.

Are you referring to Kimberly Sustad? I never had the impression she thinks it necessary to show all her teeth.

Edited by luvthepros
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Are you referring to Kimberly Sustad?

Not Kimberly (who I love,) but the actress who played her sister (Stephanie Bennett.)  It's like she has perma-smile and you see every tooth with every word.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Not Kimberly (who I love,) but the actress who played her sister (Stephanie Bennett.)  It's like she has perma-smile and you see every tooth with every word.

It's so weird because I never saw the 9 Lives movie, even though I love Kimberly, and didn't know who you were talking  about. But, I just watched that Wedding Season movie and it wasn't that Stephanie smiled so much that was off-putting to me. I know this is shallow of me, but her gum to tooth ratio is off. Tiny teeth, large gums. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

it wasn't that Stephanie smiled so much that was off-putting to me. I know this is shallow of me, but her gum to tooth ratio is off. Tiny teeth, large gums. 

Maybe that's a more accurate depiction of it.  Either way, she's a terrible actress and her teeth are distracting.  I did find the lead actor (Casey Deidrick) to be pretty cute though.

On 6/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, luvthepros said:

"The Producers" is my number one. Another musical choreographed by Susan Stroman. 

The Producers is a fun show! To clarify, Casey Nicholaw directed and choreographed Something Rotten.

• Like 1
On 5/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, bankerchick said:

I know we have discussed this ad nauseum, but given that the average Hallmark movie watcher is more than likely a middle-aged woman, why do the stories have to be about young love? 

Sorry for quoting myself, but I am currently watching The Journey Ahead with Holly Robinson-Peete and the male lead, Mark Humphrey, is totally hot.  And 62 years old.  I would gladly watch more movies with him.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Sorry for quoting myself, but I am currently watching The Journey Ahead with Holly Robinson-Peete and the male lead, Mark Humphrey, is totally hot.  And 62 years old.  I would gladly watch more movies with him.

OMG, Mark Humphrey was Jake the cameraman on one of my favorite Canadian TV shows, E.N.G.! (I live in a Detroit suburb, across the river from Windsor, so I've watched Canadian shows for years.) I have GOT to find that movie to see what he looks like at 62.

And to keep it on topic, I tend to enjoy characters in their late 30s and up, so I would gladly watch movies with middle-aged and older leads.

• Like 5

Finally watched Love in Zion National and the scenery was incredible.  As for the rest, I almost think it would have worked better as a mystery rather than a romance, especially since most of the romance was pretty much in the voice-over epilogue anyway.

As someone who has lived in the desert southwest for many years there was just a lot I couldn't ignore:

-Cindy Busby talks about how much she loves the desert sunrise when the sunlight was clearly early afternoon.

-They head out for a six day hike with school backpacks?! My condolences to your families.

-The villain loots an ancient site right in front of a park ranger!

-I would think NAGPRA would stop the villain from taking the artifacts from the museum at all (or at least tie him up in court for a long time)

-The Anasazi were more of an archaeological culture rather than a distinct nation.

-The Anasazi disappeared around 1400 and the modern Hopi, Zuni and several other Indian nations claim descent from them.

-Anasazi is generally considered an offensive term nowadays and has been replaced by Ancestral Puebloan.

-The "spirit guide" (which was correctly referred to as a Kachina doll, once) is a cheap tourist trinket Navajo Kachina.  And it appears to be an ogre Kachina, not exactly what I would want as a spirit guide.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

Another long-time Southwesterner here, and yeah, Love in Zion was pretty hard to take. Or, to quote from another recent Hallmark gem, what an intoxicating whiff.

I do give Hallmark credit for trying something a little different, and Zion is so gorgeous that it makes this movie worth a watch (on mute) just for the scenic eye candy. But beyond that...

As Lugal mentioned, Anasazi isn't a distinct tribe but more of a historical catch-all term. But I'm going to give Hallmark the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume they went with "Anasazi" rather than an existing tribe to avoid any stepping on any specific cultural toes, so to speak.

Beyond the complete and total absurdity of the villain looting artifacts from a national park in front of a ranger who is also a member of the tribe the artifacts belong to, our insipid intrepid heroes then bemoaning how they have no recourse to get said artifacts back is too ridiculous to even get into. But what really broke my brain on this one is seeing an "experienced" hiker and a fricking park ranger set out through a weeklong hike through high desert with no sunhats, and only Power Bars and baby canteens that can't hold more than about 20 oz of water?! No. Just no.

image.jpeg.fa19e4c044f05c5dcafb212597b18afc.jpeg

Like Lugal said, our condolences to your loved ones. Zion's own official site recommends one gallon of water per person per day. And never mind the possibilities of heatstroke and heat exhaustion, flash floods, rockfalls, large wildlife... etc etc. I know the world of Hallmarkia has its own rules and logics but this is just too much.

And I think it goes without saying that Cindy Busby is not exactly a paragon of chemistry, and the (obviously white) male lead was blandly forgettable, so the romance was a fail.

But... at least the scenery was pretty!

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

Given their communication issues, I probably felt like the couple maybe should have broken up in Love is Greek To Me.

That said, the scenery was absolutely gorgeous and I loved the vibe of the movie.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

. I don't really expect that to last with their issues from engagement week. 

Of course it will.  Marriages always last in Hallmarklandia. 

Except when somebody dies.  That seems to happen on a regular basis to young people with kids.  Dangerous place to live.

• LOL 9

Definitely one of the worst Hallmark movies I have seen, and that's saying something.  From throwing in every Greek food and stereotype, to the overbearing mother who wants everything her way because that's the 'Greek culture,' it's like the writers got together in a room and said, 'tell me anything you know about Greece and Greeks' then incorporated it all in the movie.

I also heard alarm bells ringing about that marriage.  He wants to move back home and run his mother's hotel, which he conveniently kept from her while they were dating.  If she thinks he's gonna drop that and happily move back to Boston, or that his mother is going to let up (she bought a wedding dress even after she was told the bride's mother was going to design it!!) she's in for an unpleasant surprise.  I can't believe we spent two hours watching her doubt his commitment, only for them to get married in the end.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

At least it started with the couple already paired up, so we didn't have to sit through yet another "they meet, they hate each other sparks fly, they fall in love" retread.

The key to this one was to pretend that the sister was the main character, and that the movie was really about her wedding and breaking out from her mother's shadow. Much more satisfying.

Love is Greek to Me

I can’t take the interfering, manipulative mother. But I’m glad to see the heroine stand up to her. 

I don’t think even the scenery is going to save this one for me. 

• Like 3

I tuned in because I really enjoy Torrey DeVitto and thought a movie set in Greece would be just escapism, but the mother-in-law did me in and I tuned out after the scene in the bridal salon.  I couldn’t take it.  Sounds like it didn’t get any better and even the gorgeous scenery wasn’t enough to save it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

it's like the writers got together in a room and said, 'tell me anything you know about Greece and Greeks' then incorporated it all in the movie.

With a lot of it being nonsensical stereotypes picked up in bad movies.

• Like 2
(edited)

The Greek mother reminded me so much of when Patti LuPone played Frasier Crane’s Greek aunt on Frasier that I just couldn’t get past it.  

How can anyone not give at least passing thought that their SO might want to move back to their home country?  You should discuss that huge issue well before the 2-year mark.  

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
12 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

The Greek mother reminded me so much of when Patti LuPone played Frasier Crane’s Greek aunt on Frasier that I just couldn’t get past it.  

At least in this case, the actress has a Greek background. Or does that make it worse...?

6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I tuned in because I really enjoy Torrey DeVitto

Despite my earlier comment about the movie being better if you pretended the sister was the main character, I did think Torrey DeVitto was quite good in this. Her shock and hurt when her boyfriend suddenly escalated from "I might want to move back to my home country" to "I might want to break up with you entirely" was very effective for me, regardless of the weirdness of the whole thing. And I thought her portrayal of someone caught between "this woman is driving me crazy" and "I legitimately want to like her" was pretty realistic.

2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

At least in this case, the actress has a Greek background. Or does that make it worse...?

Despite my earlier comment about the movie being better if you pretended the sister was the main character, I did think Torrey DeVitto was quite good in this. Her shock and hurt when her boyfriend suddenly escalated from "I might want to move back to my home country" to "I might want to break up with you entirely" was very effective for me, regardless of the weirdness of the whole thing. And I thought her portrayal of someone caught between "this woman is driving me crazy" and "I legitimately want to like her" was pretty realistic.

I didn’t make it that far — should I give it another try and see it through to the end?  

21 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I didn’t make it that far — should I give it another try and see it through to the end?

I also like Torrey DeVitto and thought she was good in this movie, but I wouldn't say she made this dud worth watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/10/2023 at 8:58 PM, Artsda said:

I loved the Greece scenery, but I didn't like the pairing actually getting married. I don't really expect that to last with their issues from engagement week. 

Yeah, at their age, it's too much to expect either character to fundamentally change who they are.  She still has baggage from her parents' messy divorce and father abandonment, while he might be a tad bit too mama's boy. Their hesitancy to talk about all the stuff that matters makes it unrealistic they should have married  or that it will last. 

20 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I wonder to what extent Counselor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis) can really speak Greek. Just a few phrases, or is she fluent? Interesting to hear the actress speak but not in her natural voice.

Speaking of mama characters...kind of weird there was no mention of why Ilana's mom has a slight British?  Australian? accent. I guess we're supposed to just go with it...

Finally, although these movies set in a foreign country with a gorgeous backdrop are pretty to look at, it still bugs me BigTime when characters speak English to each other *when they should be speaking their native language*!!!  When Athena and Alexandra are speaking to each other, it's OK to have subtitles. Why would they speak English when Ilana wasn't there?!  

And this is not the first time Hallmark has done this with characters speaking English instead of their native language to each other. So aggravating and unrealistic!

• Like 3
23 hours ago, norcalgal said:

why Ilana's mom has a slight British?

I never noticed it when in Boston. It just suddenly appeared to spring up out of nowhere when she arrived in Greece, (and I couldn’t identify it geographically, either)! 
That said, most of the other actors seemed to be doing their best with a bad script. I felt bad for Marina Sirtis (former counselor and empath), having to say some of those lines. If you’re going for “over-the-top MIL”, then it had better be a comedy. Instead, they pushed the “urgent! decide right now!” plot button. Ridiculous! These are issues that are discussed and negotiated during a normal engagement (usually, calmly, without irrational anger). How could they conclude it was all wrong when they hadn’t even discussed the issues raised? I was terribly afraid they’d try to drop a “double wedding” scenario on both us and the bride. Thank goodness they didn’t go that far. Throughout, though, I kept thinking the sister was being totally upstaged in the lead up to her special day. 
Scenery was great, but that’s about all.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 6/12/2023 at 3:38 PM, norcalgal said:

I wonder to what extent Counselor Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis) can really speak Greek. Just a few phrases, or is she fluent? Interesting to hear the actress speak but not in her natural voice.

I've spoken to Ms. Sirtis a few times at conventions in Toronto, Canada. She does indeed speak Greek very well.  She is a really nice lady and very chatty, especially if you are Greek and a fan.

I agree with the posters above.  I just started watching it and it's basically "hey - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is coming out. They are going to Greece. Let's beat them to the punch and do our own Greek wedding movie in Greece!" 

Sad that Marina had to put on that fake Greek accent when speaking English.  The lead guy looked so freaking familiar to me.  I must have seen him elsewhere. I did check out his IMDB and there is something sooo familiar about him. I have seen another show that he was in but I don't remember him. I might have to go back and rewatch.

It's Hallmark. What the heck should expectations be high?

• Like 3