Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Has anyone else found the preview of Romance To The Rescue just.....eh?  Granted I won't be watching it because Andrea Brooks gives off absolutely zero romance vibes in my book (her character, Faith, and Carson on WCTH was as exciting as watching grass grow)  And from the previews it appears Hallmark is going out of their way to tick off their diversity boxes with what looks like a black, gay male BFF to her character.   Just....stop, Hallmark.  While I believe there should be diverse actors/characters, HM fails to be diverse without looking like their going out of their way to do so.

30 minutes ago, ctlady said:

And from the previews it appears Hallmark is going out of their way to tick off their diversity boxes with what looks like a black, gay male BFF to her character.   Just....stop, Hallmark.  While I believe there should be diverse actors/characters, HM fails to be diverse without looking like their going out of their way to do so.

I just watched Wedding Every Weekend (yeah I know it's old but just recorded and got around to watching). A problem I have with Hallmark is it's rare I actually believe the onscreen characters are true friends or close family members. 

Hallmark needs to instruct actors/actresses who portray friends/family members with more believability. I never bought that these people were truly long time friends (middle school/high school/college/ballet/client) nor for the BFF that the two sets of parents were the bride & groom's parents. The acting from the more side/minor characters was just not conveying a closeness or warmth that would indicate the relationship they claim to have.

4 hours ago, ctlady said:

Granted I won't be watching it because Andrea Brooks gives off absolutely zero romance vibes in my book (her character, Faith, and Carson on WCTH was as exciting as watching grass grow) 

No kidding.  As I mentioned yesterday, Paul Greene seems to get stuck with a lot of duds, but at least you can sense some chemistry (which shouldn't be hard with someone so smoking hot.)  These two characters might as well be brother and sister.

3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I just watched Wedding Every Weekend (yeah I know it's old but just recorded and got around to watching). A problem I have with Hallmark is it's rare I actually believe the onscreen characters are true friends or close family members. 

Hallmark needs to instruct actors/actresses who portray friends/family members with more believability. I never bought that these people were truly long time friends (middle school/high school/college/ballet/client) nor for the BFF that the two sets of parents were the bride & groom's parents. The acting from the more side/minor characters was just not conveying a closeness or warmth that would indicate the relationship they claim to have.

This is one of my very favourite movies and the one where I fell in love with Paul Campbell.  His chemistry with Kimberly Sustad is great and I thought he was a really sweet character.  Plus he really looked good; the wardrobe department must have liked him!  I cried when he hands her her purse at the wedding and just says, 'well, bye' and walks away so dejectedly.  I still watch it quite regularly.  Having said all that:  I agree with everything you say.  It was like they were invited to a wedding of someone they had a tangential relationship with 15 years ago, but hadn't seen since.  Why would you still say, 'I went to summer camp with Vicki' if you see her all the time now?  I also notice that even though at one point Nate/Edgar talks about his Dad a lot, none of the very few guests at their wedding appeared to be his parents.  Just her parents, his co-worker, and the 6 brides and grooms whose weddings they were just at.  I know a lot of this was due to covid (did you know or notice that several of the guests in the chairs at the lesbian wedding were actually mannequins?  I listened to a podcast with Paul where he explained the difficulties in trying to film the movie with the regulations in place at the time.)  Maybe the side characters, none of whom I have seen before or since [except for the woman who ran the painting thing at the farm*] were already in a bubble of some sort and that's why they had to be used, even though they're terrible actors.

*She has the best line in the movie.  Ginni and Brooke are laughing about 'starting over,' specifically, the painting.  Brooke asks if she can apply this to real life.  'I wish, sister,' the painter ruefully comments.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

No kidding.  As I mentioned yesterday, Paul Greene seems to get stuck with a lot of duds, but at least you can sense some chemistry (which shouldn't be hard with someone so smoking hot.)  These two characters might as well be brother and sister.

This is one of my very favourite movies and the one where I fell in love with Paul Campbell.  His chemistry with Kimberly Sustad is great and I thought he was a really sweet character.  Plus he really looked good; the wardrobe department must have liked him!  I cried when he hands her her purse at the wedding and just says, 'well, bye' and walks away so dejectedly.  I still watch it quite regularly.  Having said all that:  I agree with everything you say.  It was like they were invited to a wedding of someone they had a tangential relationship with 15 years ago, but hadn't seen since.  Why would you still say, 'I went to summer camp with Vicki' if you see her all the time now?  I also notice that even though at one point Nate/Edgar talks about his Dad a lot, none of the very few guests at their wedding appeared to be his parents.  Just her parents, his co-worker, and the 6 brides and grooms whose weddings they were just at.  I know a lot of this was due to covid (did you know or notice that several of the guests in the chairs at the lesbian wedding were actually mannequins?  I listened to a podcast with Paul where he explained the difficulties in trying to film the movie with the regulations in place at the time.)  Maybe the side characters, none of whom I have seen before or since [except for the woman who ran the painting thing at the farm*] were already in a bubble of some sort and that's why they had to be used, even though they're terrible actors.

*She has the best line in the movie.  Ginni and Brooke are laughing about 'starting over,' specifically, the painting.  Brooke asks if she can apply this to real life.  'I wish, sister,' the painter ruefully comments.

Sorry for the double post, but gremlins prevented me from typing a reply or even editing!

Anyway, oooohhhh I didn’t know Wedding Every Weekend was filmed during Covid. Maybe I was a bit harsh in my criticism about how the friendships and family relationships seemed artificial. I just noticed the fakeness as more pronounced in this movie compared to other Hallmark movies. (I guess Covid was to blame)

(edited)

I’ve seen Wedding Every Weekend so many times due to my love for Paul Campbell (like bankerchick).  He’s reliably great with Kimberly Sustad (especially in this one), and I have to admit that I get a weird kick out of playing “spot the mannequin”.   Creative idea during Covid filming, but they look ridiculous!!  I also love seeing Norman from Signed, Sealed & Delivered — though he doesn’t have a big role, the part he plays is important in Paul’s character’s life and his humor matches up well with Paul’s IMO.  

Edited by MerBearHou
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

I also love seeing Norman from Signed, Sealed & Delivered — though he doesn’t have a big role, the part he plays is important in Paul’s character’s life and his humor matches up well with Paul’s IMO.  

He's in a commercial for car insurance here in Canada.  He plays a dad who loves embarrassing his kids when he drops them off at school in his '80s Trans Am.  Funny.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2022 at 7:09 PM, Jaded said:

June Schedule

HALLMARK CHANNEL'S "SUMMER NIGHTS"
All premieres are at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Hidden Gems

Starring: Hunter King and Beau Mirchoff
Premieres: Saturday, June 4

While prepping for her sister’s wedding, Addie (King) loses her grandmother’s ring in the waters of Hawaii. She hires dive instructor Jack (Mirchoff) to search for her lost treasure. They immediately clash with each other when Addie insists she go on the pursuit with Jack. Once they come to an agreement, Jack ends up serving as Addie’s tour guide of the island’s hidden gems. 

Caribbean Summer

Starring: Heather Hemmens and Ser'Darius Blain
Premieres: Saturday, June 11

Jade (Hemmens), a morning news producer, is forced to take a vacation after an embarrassing gaffe during a live broadcast. She arrives to a relaxing Caribbean island, but Jade’s trip gets off to a rocky start thanks to a snafu involving the house she rented for her stay. Serendipitously, Jade manages to turn things around and begins a romantic Caribbean adventure with the legitimate owner of the house, a mysterious man named Ford (Blain). As Jade slowly lets her guard down and welcomes all that the island, its people, and her handsome host have to offer, her heart and job come into direct conflict when she finds out the true backstory of the man she’s falling for -- and it’s a career-defining scoop.

Moriah's Lighthouse

Starring: Rachelle Lefevre and Luke Macfarlane
Premieres: Saturday, June 18

Based on the book series by Serena Miller. Moriah (Lefevre) is a woodworking artisan living in a French, seaside town, who dreams of restoring the local lighthouse. When Ben (Macfarlane), an American architect, comes to town, it seems as though her dreams will never become reality after she learns he’s there to give the lighthouse a makeover… but for another buyer.

Two Tickets to Paradise

Starring: Ashley Williams, Ryan Paevey and Mary-Margaret Humes
Premieres: Saturday, June 25

Two strangers meet on what feels like the worst day of their lives. Hannah (Williams) and Josh (Paevey) have both been stood up at the altar. While shocked and devastated, they happen to meet at the park, which turns out to be the morale boost they need to commit to taking their honeymoon vacations. They realize they are going to the same honeymoon resort and keep crossing paths in tropical paradise. Seeing the futility of fighting fate, Hannah and Josh eventually join forces and help learn from one other to enjoy their vacations.

I like Heather. I’ll check that one out. 

• Love 1

I'd like to know why Paul Campbell is not starring in Moriah's Lighthouse if he wrote it?  I will check it out because he wrote it but 'Mr. Non-Chemistry with any female actress I have ever seen' (I know I'm in the minority here) does nothing to draw me to the movie.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I'd like to know why Paul Campbell is not starring in Moriah's Lighthouse if he wrote it?  I will check it out because he wrote it but 'Mr. Non-Chemistry with any female actress I have ever seen' (I know I'm in the minority here) does nothing to draw me to the movie.

Without even looking at imdb, I bet I can guess who you're referring to!  Now I'm going to check and see...

ETA:  Yep, guessed it!

Edited by MerBearHou
36 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I'd like to know why Paul Campbell is not starring in Moriah's Lighthouse if he wrote it?

He wrote An Unexpected Christmas and didn't star in that either.  Although I absolutely loved the chemistry between Lenz and Hynes in that one.

Campbell one of my favorites especially with Sustad, they play well against each other.

Right there with you regarding 'Mr. Non-Chemistry with any female actress I have ever seen".

• Love 3

I thought Luke had great chemistry with Jaime King in the Mistletoe Promise, and Meredith in Chateau Christmas. He’s a good actor so I don’t mind seeing him in Hallmark movies.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, twoods said:

I thought Luke had great chemistry with Jaime King in the Mistletoe Promise, and Meredith in Chateau Christmas. He’s a good actor so I don’t mind seeing him in Hallmark movies.

I really liked him in Mistletoe Promise and Christmas in My Heart, but my favorite of his is The Birthday Wish with Jessy Schram.  I think he's great and look forward to more!

• Love 4

Agreed.  He is quite handsome.  His IMDB lists a movie in pre-production, Love In The Villa, described as follows:

'A young woman takes a trip to romantic Verona, Italy, after a breakup, only to find that the villa she reserved was double-booked, and she'll have to share her vacation with a cynical British man.'

If that's not another Hallmark, I'll eat my hat, though the 'cynical British man' is played by someone else (Tom Hopper,) and is the likely love interest.

1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

If that's not another Hallmark, I'll eat my hat, though the 'cynical British man' is played by someone else (Tom Hopper,) and is the likely love interest.

If you look below on IMDb, it shows the distributor.  It's Netflix. They've gone big into the romcom business too.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:38 AM, MerBearHou said:

Without even looking at imdb, I bet I can guess who you're referring to!  Now I'm going to check and see...

And for me, I thought Ryan Paevy initially,.

20 hours ago, twoods said:

Yep.  I thought Christmas In My Heart had some of the best "on screen chem" of the holiday movies last year.  Chemistry is elusive in general with these Hallmark movies (because I don't think they chem test) but I think he's had it with a few of his co-stars.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Agreed.  He is quite handsome.  His IMDB lists a movie in pre-production, Love In The Villa, described as follows:

'A young woman takes a trip to romantic Verona, Italy, after a breakup, only to find that the villa she reserved was double-booked, and she'll have to share her vacation with a cynical British man.'

You’re right, he probably plays the cast aside second love interest. And it has Kat Graham in it, whom I love. What a waste.

I really enjoyed Raymond in the Hallmark Christmas movie last year so was hoping he’d be another lead this year.

Edited by twoods
On 5/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, Cetacean said:

I wonder why Raymond Ablack has never done another Hallmark movie.  Now that is one good looking dude!  

Didn’t he only appear in his first Hallmark movie last Christmas? He’s probably been busy filming season 2 of Ginny & Georgia for Netflix. 

I'm going to put this comment in this thread because Rip in Time wasn't a mystery movie, even though it aired on HM&M (I can move it to that topic if necessary). I LOVED it. Maybe because I'm a sucker for any time travel, maybe because the other movies that I have watched this season have been mostly meh, or maybe just because it was a cut above the usual. It hit all my criteria for a favorite: I love Niall Matter, I really like Torrey DeVitto and her character was strong without being overbearing or uptight, time travel, the story was gentle and fun, the villains were fun to boo, it had a happy ending...this one is definitely a keeper.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

I'm going to put this comment in this thread because Rip in Time wasn't a mystery movie, even though it aired on HM&M (I can move it to that topic if necessary). I LOVED it. Maybe because I'm a sucker for any time travel, maybe because the other movies that I have watched this season have been mostly meh, or maybe just because it was a cut above the usual. It hit all my criteria for a favorite: I love Niall Matter, I really like Torrey DeVitto and her character was strong without being overbearing or uptight, time travel, the story was gentle and fun, the villains were fun to boo, it had a happy ending...this one is definitely a keeper.  

I really liked this one too!  I've been off of HM movies for a while; after the Christmas bunch, I always need a break, and my break this yr has apparently been almost 6 months long.  I caught the Aurora Teagarden marathon on, and thought I'd tune in for a bit, being on the couch with cramps, and saw the ad for Rip in Time.  I'm so glad I did, because I really really liked it! 

I am usually not the biggest Niall Matter fan.  I just find him to be so dull normally; I mainly know him as Ro's love interest in the Teagarden movies and have seen a couple of the HM Xmas movies that he has been in, and have never been impressed.  However, he was perfect in this role as "Rip".  Very endearing.  It gave me vibes of Elf or Enchanted, both of which I love.  I DVR'd a couple other movies while I was watching, so maybe I am ready to dip my feet back into the HM pool.  Another thing I liked was that Torrey Devito's character mentioned she had a "baby daddy", as they were never married.  Always like these little tidbits of HM being more diverse.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

Another thing I liked was that Torrey Devito's character mentioned she had a "baby daddy", as they were never married.  Always like these little tidbits of HM being more diverse.

Yes!!!! I actually clapped and said, "Real life!" out loud when she said it.

And re: Niall Matter, I first saw him in the TV show Eureka as the town bad boy, Zane. He's very good (and charming-yet-bad-boy-annoying) in that part, and if you've never seen Eureka, I can highly recommend it if you like your sci-fi quirky and with lots of whimsy. Best TV show ever, IMO. I mourn its cancellation to this day. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Yes!!!! I actually clapped and said, "Real life!" out loud when she said it.

And re: Niall Matter, I first saw him in the TV show Eureka as the town bad boy, Zane. He's very good (and charming-yet-bad-boy-annoying) in that part, and if you've never seen Eureka, I can highly recommend it if you like your sci-fi quirky and with lots of whimsy. Best TV show ever, IMO. I mourn its cancellation to this day. 

Thanks for the recommend.  I do like some quirky Sci-Fi things, so maybe I will give it a shot!

• Love 1

I didn't love Rip In Time but I was cooking so it was solid background noise for that.

I did have to laugh when they tried to say Niall Matter's character was 31.  Uh no.  I also thought "evil" Ted was so hot when wet.  (Thank goodness we had the kid telling us how Ted ruins everything so we'd know who to root or.)

I didn't love Rip's "bring her things that men have forgotten over time." Yeah no.  During his time, women were basically lucky if they got to choose which local they married. I don't mind watching shows that romanticize that time period (like Bridgerton) but I find something chafes me about a time jump show doing it.

• Love 1

I haven't seen Rip in Time but went to IMDB to see other cast members.  There are only five or six listed and "Ted" wasn't among them.  But I saw a photo on the HMM webpage and am speculating he's Casey Manderson who generally plays the brother, brother-in-law, best friend in Hallmark romcoms.  I remember him specifically from A December Bride in which he was - the brother.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

But I saw a photo on the HMM webpage and am speculating he's Casey Manderson who generally plays the brother, brother-in-law, best friend in Hallmark romcoms. 

I googled and that's who they say it is. There was just something about him standing in the rain that sparked a wowza reaction in me for a second.

Edited by Irlandesa

Add me to those that loved Rip in Time. I was smiling through most of the movie. I love time travel stuff and Colonial Times, so I was predisposed to like it from the start. Then, there was some good humor, scenes in the real New York. The chemistry during the dance and the kiss in the rain was great. I normally don't even care for Niall Matter because I find his voice to be kind of strange, but it was less noticeable due to his "old fashioned" accent, so even that worked out well. 

• Love 2

I think Rip in Time was OK.  Obviously all logic must be tossed aside. 

What I thought odd was how easily this 250 year old dude adjusted to 2022.  Aside from looking awed in New York and jumping away from the razor he didn't act like I would expect I would be if transported into the future.  There is laid back but come on.  "Oh, it's 2022?  Wow, well OK".

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't love Rip's "bring her things that men have forgotten over time." Yeah no.  During his time, women were basically lucky if they got to choose which local they married.

Absolutely.  Women were chattel in that time, they had absolutely no rights.  I highly doubt most of the lower class or poor got a kind word let alone any romance or respect.

• Love 2

Dilemma.  I am watching Sun, Sand and Romance, mostly because it features my Hallmark husband, Paul Campbell.  However, it also features Tricia Helfer, the Jill Wagner doppelganger with the giant mouth.  It pains me to say that her terrible (actually, a new word should be invented to truly define the scope of bad) acting and lack of charisma may be enough to drive me away.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, ShelleySue said:

Don't you need to register a vehicle?  Transfer plates?  Get insurance? Do something?

If you’re taking the newly purchased vehicle to a different locale (state or your own county with lower tax rate) to register it, your dated bill of sale will usually suffice if you get pulled over. However, it’s a risk because if you happen to get in an accident, it’s bound to turn into a legal nightmare no matter who’s at fault. 

(edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 6:11 PM, EyewatchTV211 said:

Add me to those that loved Rip in Time

Looking forwarding to catching this one On Demand since I couldn't watch it live

And does the premise for the upcoming Hidden Gems bug anyone?

Girl:  "This ring is sooooooooooooo precious to me"

Same girl:  [takes surfboard yoga on the open sea while wearing said precious ring and falls in, causing her to lose said precious ring.

Same girl:  "I NEED to get that ring back!!"

Scuba guy who thinks he may have found ring;  "Is this is?"

Girl:  [frustrated whine] "noooo"

Me:  "If ring is THAT precious then you should've left it locked in your room or gotten it sized smaller so it wouldn't fall off in the water becuase, you know....it's precioussssssss"

Edited by ctlady
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 5/20/2022 at 7:44 PM, Cetacean said:

I wonder why Raymond Ablack has never done another Hallmark movie.  Now that is one good looking dude!  

He is handsome. I remember him from his Degrassi days, and he hasn’t lost his boyish good looks. 

On 5/23/2022 at 7:41 AM, kirinan said:

I loved this movie, but I wish they would make something where someone goes back in time and decides to stay there instead of the past person staying in the future. 

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I loved this movie, but I wish they would make something where someone goes back in time and decides to stay there instead of the past person staying in the future. 

They did.  Outlander.  Of course, that's not Disney.

53 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

They did.  Outlander.  Of course, that's not Disney.

Kate in Kate and Leopold goes back in time and stays there, but that's only at the end. Most of the movie takes place in the present. 

• Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 12:22 PM, ctlady said:

Looking forwarding to catching this one On Demand since I couldn't watch it live

And does the premise for the upcoming Hidden Gems bug anyone?

Girl:  "This ring is sooooooooooooo precious to me"

Same girl:  [takes surfboard yoga on the open sea while wearing said precious ring and falls in, causing her to lose said precious ring.

Same girl:  "I NEED to get that ring back!!"

Scuba guy who thinks he may have found ring;  "Is this is?"

Girl:  [frustrated whine] "noooo"

Me:  "If ring is THAT precious then you should've left it locked in your room or gotten it sized smaller so it wouldn't fall off in the water becuase, you know....it's precioussssssss"

My prejudice against this movie is because of Hunter King.  I couldn’t stand her as Summer on Young and Restless because I felt she’s a very weak actress and the trailers look like she’s still playing Summer.  And I agree, if that ring is so precious, why would you wear it while doing water based activities?  

(edited)

Trying to catch up on movies (just finished all the Christmas ones).  Finished Just One Kiss and loved it so much I do not want to delete it off my DVR! I find it hard to believe it’s a Hallmark movie. It’s witty and grown up. 

Just watched Love, Classified. Another good one that in no way felt like a Hallmark movie. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 1

Well, no comments on Hidden Gems.  Actually, I didn't hate it.  Maybe because I missed the first 15 minutes where she went on about how important the ring was to her, then promptly wore it in the water and lost it.

Is it not a missed opportunity that Hallmark didn't use my Hallmark boyfriend, Travis Van Winkle, as the time-travelling descendant of Rip?

• LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Well, no comments on Hidden Gems.  Actually, I didn't hate it.  Maybe because I missed the first 15 minutes where she went on about how important the ring was to her, then promptly wore it in the water and lost it.

I didn't hate it either.  I thought it was pretty decent.  I also think the only really dumb thing was wearing a loose fitting ring in the water.

The thing I was most impressed with was the complementary programming of Pearl In Paradise after Hidden Gems.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The thing I was most impressed with was the complimentary programming of Pearl In Paradise after Hidden Gems.

Funny because I got a Kris Polaha vibe from the Hidden Gems guy but we didn't get that on W Network in Canada. I think it was a rerun of the Erika Christensen (?) movie where she accumulates dogs from ex-boyfriends.