Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Dani said:

I would argue that it is needed for the characters to actually act and talk like normal people. There is middle group between what we see and swearing. Hallmark avoids even the safe swear alternatives in a way that is unrealistic. I would also say that intimacy should be needed in a romance. Intimacy is so much more than sex. 

Spot on.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

The Nine Lives of Christmas airs tonight at 10PM Eastern. I watch this movie every.time.it.is.on. 

I’ve never seen it, but it’s mentioned often on this site as a favorite of many.  Fill me in — why is it so wonderful?  I will find it (can’t tonight but soon…).

2 hours ago, Clawdette said:

The Nine Lives of Christmas airs tonight at 10PM Eastern. I watch this movie every.time.it.is.on. 

Thank you. I’ve been wanting to record it to watch before the sequel airs. Of course I got pulled in once I turned it on to record it. 

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

I’ve never seen it, but it’s mentioned often on this site as a favorite of many.  Fill me in — why is it so wonderful?  I will find it (can’t tonight but soon…).

One of the biggest reasons I love it is that it is funny. It’s so rare that a Hallmark movie makes me laugh from the opening lines. Kimberly Sustad’s character is refreshingly real and awkward. They have really good chemistry and the plot actually shows them getting to know each other and becoming friends so that you buy that they have actually fallen in love. Plus cute cats and a former Superman. 

Edited by Guest
2 minutes ago, Dani said:

One of the biggest reasons I love it is that it is funny. It’s so rare that a Hallmark movie makes me laugh from the opening lines. Kimberly Sustad’s character is refreshingly real and awkward. They have really good chemistry and the plot actually shows them getting to know each other and becoming friends so that you but that they have actually fallen in love. Plus cute cats and a former Superman. 

Well, that is a great description!  I enjoy Kimberly in pretty much everything I’ve seen her in.  The humor and chemistry sound great.  And yes, a former Superman!  I’ll watch for sure.  Thank you :)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Dani said:
13 hours ago, Clawdette said:

Thank you. I’ve been wanting to record it to watch before the sequel airs. Of course I got pulled in once I turned it on to record it. 

12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

One of the biggest reasons I love it is that it is funny. It’s so rare that a Hallmark movie makes me laugh from the opening lines. Kimberly Sustad’s character is refreshingly real and awkward. They have really good chemistry and the plot actually shows them getting to know each other and becoming friends so that you buy that they have actually fallen in love. Plus cute cats and a former Superman. 

Yes to all of this and I will add two things -  the Other Woman is awesomely, believably mean, the scene when she finally goes too far is one of my favourite moments and I also like the ending, very satisfying.  Which leads me to my concern about the sequel.  I think I'll monitor reactions here before I watch.  I really don't want them to mess with it!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yeah, this is the cardinal sin of Hallmark movies for me. It's compounded if either/both characters actually says "I love you" to someone they've known for 2 seconds!!!!  🙄

Yes!!  I just rewatched Dashing Through The Snow--which I have always enjoyed--and took note of how, after a TWO-DAY car ride together, she tells her mom "I love him".  I said aloud "You've known him 2 days!!"  I know that is a common trope on Hallmark, and that movie is from 2015, but--while I don't want to give HM too much credit--I feel like they've been better about it lately.  I mean, sure people are still uprooting their lives to be together, when they just starting falling for each other, but I feel like there have been less declarations of I Love You.  Granted, it had been a while since I'd watched HM, prior to the Christmas movies starting.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I feel like they've been better about it lately.  I mean, sure people are still uprooting their lives to be together, when they just starting falling for each other, but I feel like there have been less declarations of I Love You. 

What I liked about Christmas in Evergreen and the sequels is we're very clearly told that the two main characters do take things slowly - they don't rush into a marriage and the doctor doesn't immediately up stakes and move to Evergreen,  It's a several years long process, which isn't in the best tradition of romance novels or movies but is much more true to life.  Oh dear I just said "true to life" about a Hallmark Movie!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Dani said:

I would argue that it is needed for the characters to actually act and talk like normal people

I guess it's it's a matter of opinion as to what defines a 'normal person'.  If that's the case, then people who don't feel the need to use foul language in everyday conversation be considered 'abnormal'?  One may consider that more offensive than the actual foul language

• Love 3

I just saw some promos for a new Mrs Miracle movie.  Well I'm in!  I thought the two earlier ones with Doris Roberts were among the best that Hallmark has to offer.  And I have no problem recasting with Caroline Rhea - at least based on the promos anyway.  Definitely going to be setting the PVR for this one!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I guess it's it's a matter of opinion as to what defines a 'normal person'.  If that's the case, then people who don't feel the need to use foul language in everyday conversation be considered 'abnormal'?  One may consider that more offensive than the actual foul language

I'm with you on this.  I don't watch Hallmark movies for sex, violence, gore or foul language.  I can get that just about everywhere else!  Hallmark is my getaway from the Real World.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I just saw some promos for a new Mrs Miracle movie.  Well I'm in!  I thought the two earlier ones with Doris Roberts were among the best that Hallmark has to offer.  And I have no problem recasting with Caroline Rhea - at least based on the promos anyway.  Definitely going to be setting the PVR for this one!

Yes, I recorded that over the weekend.  Though I did get a little wave of emotion, for a moment, that they are continuing without the late Doris Roberts, I do like Caroline Rhea, so I will give it a chance.  Perhaps I will revisit the original tonight, while I do some more Christmas decorating.  It is one that I cannot bring myself to delete from the DVR.

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

What I liked about Christmas in Evergreen and the sequels is we're very clearly told that the two main characters do take things slowly - they don't rush into a marriage and the doctor doesn't immediately up stakes and move to Evergreen,  It's a several years long process, which isn't in the best tradition of romance novels or movies but is much more true to life.  Oh dear I just said "true to life" about a Hallmark Movie!!!

I don't think I've ever seen the Evergreen movies from beginning to end.  I may have seen the one with Ashley Williams, which I believe was the original, but they lost me after that.

• Love 1

The use of swearing should be applicable to the story.  For instance, if I drop a hammer on my foot I'm going to swear.  Hallmark can clean it up and say "darn it" or "shoot" (although I would roll my eyes).  But use said swearing as appropriate to the situation.

As far as sex or intimacy, I find it silly that two people profess their true love at the end of the movie without ever even holding hands.  This isn't the time of Nancy Drew who longs for Ned to place a chaste kiss upon her cheek!!  No wonder these movies are lacking chemistry between the leads.  

Edited by roughing it
used wrong word
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

And yes, a former Superman!  I’ll watch for sure.  Thank you :)

Plus firefighters.  Several firefighters.  It's (Nine Lives of Christmas) a believable story where all the characters are realistic and you can see why the two leads are attracted to one another.  They have a natural chemistry and banter and it seems totally normal that she would tell him the story of mountain lions, who climb to the highest peak to declare their (mountain lion) love for one another.  So when they climb the fire truck at the end, we all know that they are going to be together forever. After all, they have known one another for a week or two and even shared one kiss (though it was under mistletoe) and she only had one 'jump to conclusions, immediately cut off all contact' moment. Imagine my surprise, not to mention disappointment, in finding this year's story is going to show them 'thrown back together.'  I really hope they don't mess this up.  It had better not be another stupid misunderstanding that kept them apart for 6 years (assuming the movie is present-day and not just picking up where the other left off.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Imagine my surprise, not to mention disappointment, in finding this year's story is going to show them 'thrown back together.'  I really hope they don't mess this up.  It had better not be another stupid misunderstanding that kept them apart for 6 years (assuming the movie is present-day and not just picking up where the other left off.)

If it turns out they were never a couple or they split up over something stupid I am definitely not watching the sequel.  The ending to this movie is one of my all time favourites for a Hallmark movie.  

• Love 4

So I might be turning into the Grinch but just watched Reunited at Christmas for the umpteenth time and I think the fiancee of the heroine and the father are both suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.  The fiancee should have run, not walked from the many ISSUES of the heroine and the poor Dad's ex-wife was a selfish hag, in my humble opinon, lol.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Superficial moment for me. I honestly don't know what I would have thought of Gingerbread Miracle with another actor, but I was drawn in by the Alex character (played by Jon Ecker). Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Matt Bomer, who is one of the most gorgeous actors, but Jon reminded me of him a bit. Not quite at the level of Matt in his prime White Collar days, but still very easy on the eyes. 

Honestly, I feel like even the Christmas movies with the old, repeated formula have taken a slight step up in quality this year. I've found many, though not all, to be decent-to-enjoyable. Even the few movies that I didn't care for had good aspects to them. 

Edited by EyewatchTV211
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Honestly, I feel like even the Christmas movies with the old, repeated formula have taken a slight step up in quality this year. I've found many, though not all, to be decent-to-enjoyable. Even the few movies that I didn't care for had good aspects to them. 

Definitely noticing that this year too.  So far I've liked all the new ones I've seen and like the sound of some of the ones still to come so fingers crossed with those as well.  I wouldn't say I've loved any of them, but liked a lot a few.  Shout out to Santa Stakeout which was fun.  My only complaint about it was it was too long - it was an hour long show that got stretched IMO.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Now, if only Paul Campbell were a firefighter...

Too bad they didn't cast him as a co-worker of Zach at the fire house.  Kimberly Sustad and Paul Campbell have serious chemistry together, it could have created an interesting storyline.  Maybe he was the one who broke up Zach and Merilee!

40 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Superficial moment for me. I honestly don't know what I would have thought of Gingerbread Miracle with another actor, but I was drawn in by the Alex character (played by Jon Ecker).

I know I watched this movie this past weekend, yet I remember exactly nothing about it.  If I had to guess I would say there was a couple who dated years ago, who fight and bicker for an hour or so, then come together for some cause, then at the 90 minute mark there is some type of crisis and with 15 minutes to go, it appears the couple will not get together after all.  Only in the closing moments do they actually get together and we are led to believe they will live happily ever after, but as we have come to know, that's not always true.

• Love 4

I am such a sucker for Mrs. Miracle.  I DVR'd the new one and finally got to watch it today.  I LOVED it.  Doris Roberts is Mrs. Miracle but Caroline Rhea was fabulous.  I loved that it was a different story all together.

I can only hope that there are more Mrs. Miracle sequels down the pike.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Matt Bomer, who is one of the most gorgeous actors, but Jon reminded me of him a bit. Not quite at the level of Matt in his prime White Collar days, but still very easy on the eyes. 

Yes! There was one moment early on where I very briefly thought it was Matt Bomer. 

1 hour ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Superficial moment for me. I honestly don't know what I would have thought of Gingerbread Miracle with another actor, but I was drawn in by the Alex character (played by Jon Ecker). Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Matt Bomer, who is one of the most gorgeous actors, but Jon reminded me of him a bit. Not quite at the level of Matt in his prime White Collar days, but still very easy on the eyes. 

While IA with your position that the quality of movies seems up this year even but this was a dud for me.

That said, I did think of Matt Bomer when I saw Jon Ecker.  I would like to see him in more movies even if I kind I of drifted from this movie.

4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Too bad they didn't cast him as a co-worker of Zach at the fire house.  Kimberly Sustad and Paul Campbell have serious chemistry together, it could have created an interesting storyline.  Maybe he was the one who broke up Zach and Merilee!

Heresy, I know, but I’d be okay with that. (And I’m a Nine Lives fan!)

11 hours ago, ctlady said:

No, I wasn’t saying that anyone who doesn’t use foul language is abnormal. Which is why I said that there is a lot of room between Hallmark dialogue and swearing.

For example, in Christmas Sail there is a scene where the lead is trying to turn a stuck crank slips and falls on her butt. Realistically, a “curse” word is going to slip out in a moment like that. Humans have invented a whole litany of curse adjacent, family-friendly words for just situations like that. Instead she is grunting, making effort sounds and dragging out words like turn in a way that comes across as cartoonish. It doesn’t have to be foul language to be more realistic. 

6 hours ago, Dani said:

No, I wasn’t saying that anyone who doesn’t use foul language is abnormal. Which is why I said that there is a lot of room between Hallmark dialogue and swearing.

For example, in Christmas Sail there is a scene where the lead is trying to turn a stuck crank slips and falls on her butt. Realistically, a “curse” word is going to slip out in a moment like that. Humans have invented a whole litany of curse adjacent, family-friendly words for just situations like that. Instead she is grunting, making effort sounds and dragging out words like turn in a way that comes across as cartoonish. It doesn’t have to be foul language to be more realistic. 

Ha! Your post reminded me of “The Good Place”……”fork” this and that. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Gingerbread Miracle with another actor, but I was drawn in by the Alex character (played by Jon Ecker). Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Matt Bomer, who is one of the most gorgeous actors, but Jon reminded me of him a bit.

I thought the actor was Brandon Flynn from 13 Reasons Why. 

17 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Imagine my surprise, not to mention disappointment, in finding this year's story is going to show them 'thrown back together.'  I really hope they don't mess this up.  It had better not be another stupid misunderstanding that kept them apart for 6 years (assuming the movie is present-day and not just picking up where the other left off.)

17 hours ago, SusannahM said:

If it turns out they were never a couple or they split up over something stupid I am definitely not watching the sequel.  The ending to this movie is one of my all time favourites for a Hallmark movie. 

The Nine Lives of Christmas is my favorite movie because it seems to be to the most realistic (for a Hallmark movie that is). They really get to know each other before they realize that they love each other.  Yes, the situation is contrived (her moving into his apartment), but it isn't like they have to work together on a tree lighting ceremony that is going to save the town from a big developer who wants to build a ski resort, or they were high school sweethearts and he came back to their small hometown to shut down her charming bookstore to turn it into an ugly office building. I always imagined them still together in that big house, renovating it (with just the perfect paint shades in each room). I almost hate to find out why they aren't together now.  When I found out that there was going to be a sequel I assumed that they were going to be getting married or having a baby.

• Love 11

I just saw Next Stop, Christmas and I loved it.  I thought I'd like it because of the time travel element plus Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson but what also stood out for me was the actress playing the lead role.   Very well done.

• Love 7

YouTube TV  just added all three Hallmark channels to their basic lineup. So if anyone here was considering signing up and didn't because those channels weren't available they are now. For the moment users have to go into the settings and choose them from the hide/view list to make them visible on the main channel list when scrolling.

• Love 2

Superficial moment for me. I honestly don't know what I would have thought of Gingerbread Miracle with another actor, but I was drawn in by the Alex character (played by Jon Ecker).

The Grinch in me left the room for this one.  I really liked it mainly because of Jon Ecker's acting.  So natural and easy.  I actually think he could replace Tyler Hines as my Hallmark boyfriend!  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

The Nine Lives of Christmas is my favorite movie because it seems to be to the most realistic (for a Hallmark movie that is). They really get to know each other before they realize that they love each other.  Yes, the situation is contrived (her moving into his apartment), but it isn't like they have to work together on a tree lighting ceremony that is going to save the town from a big developer who wants to build a ski resort, or they were high school sweethearts and he came back to their small hometown to shut down her charming bookstore to turn it into an ugly office building.

It's one of the very rare Hallmark movies I will watch more than once.  Yes, the evil girlfriend is over the top in the evilness department but the other acting was nice.  Sustad and Routh have chemistry and Sustad is great in her vulnerability.  She does a wonderful embarrassed stuttering routine when appropriate. 

And, for a refreshing change, Hallmark does not beat us over the heads with branches of holly to remind us that Balsam Hill is a sponsor.  I don't even consider this a Christmas movie, the holiday is really secondary to the story.

Looking forward to the sequel, hope it doesn't disappoint.   Sadly, I predict this will be a contrived "miracle of Christmas" plot with the same, tired, endlessly repeated tropes.  Fingers crossed I am wrong.

• Love 5

I saw one I loved yesterday.  The Mistletoe Promise.  Luke Macfarlane is so good looking! I liked the premise and they leads were pretty realistic. 

It was about a man and a woman who didn't like Christmas so they made a contract to be fake boyfriend/girlfriend until Christmas.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

YouTube TV  just added all three Hallmark channels to their basic lineup. So if anyone here was considering signing up and didn't because those channels weren't available they are now. For the moment users have to go into the settings and choose them from the hide/view list to make them visible on the main channel list when scrolling.

Thank you!  I got YouTube TV when I went on vacation earlier this year and haven't cancelled it (even though I still have cable.)  My cable box went bad and the one reason I haven't completely switched over is because of Hallmark.

And it has been annoying not to be able to watch some of these movies in bed, especially the movies I think are more background type watches. 

I appreciate you letting me know.

Watched Next Stop Christmas last night. I, too, was delightfully surprised by Erika Slezak's appearance. I actually shouted "Erika Slezak!?!" and my husband was like "Who?" I miss Victoria Lord! I would be down with Roger Howarth dipping his toe into Hallmark Christmas movies, if it meant getting to watch them lovingly bicker again. 

Back on topic... I liked Next Stop Christmas, and thought it was on the higher end of quality when it comes to Hallmark movies (the lighting was terrible though.) I did think Love Strikes Twice did the pseudo contemporary time travel better though, even though that one suffered from bland love interests.

These holiday movies are becoming the last refuge of soap stars, the One Tree Hill cast, and the cast of Degrassi though. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Maybe I'm just in a less critical mood then I was last year but I'm enjoying the movies this year.  One I saw this morning Starring Christmas was from last year and it was pretty good.  Predictable as hell (of course) but still an enjoyable watch.

Just watched my old faithful Crown for Christmas.  I'm a sucker for royalty movies but I can't keep track of them.  The premise is similar with all of them.

I do enjoy the ones on Netflix with the Princess Amber.  I only remember her name but there were 3 of them...which I really enjoyed.

I love a Crown for Christmas because I love the little girl Theodora...and the staff

• Love 6
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I love a Crown for Christmas because I love the little girl Theodora...and the staff

For me it's a Rupert Penry-Jones thing, and the line near the end "You had me at 'sewing kit.'"  

They are all really likeable, for sure. I looked up the little girl Theodora recently.  As the movie was made quite a while ago, she's changed a bit, and has gone on to be a pretty serious competitive gymnast, so she's a hard-working, serious little person.  

• Love 5

I liked Open By Christmas.  I probably enjoyed the story with the best friend and the fiance more than I liked the main story but the airtime balance was pretty even so both stories felt like they moved pretty quickly.

31 minutes ago, twoods said:

Wondering why they broke up. They still have that cute chemistry so I’m in.

They do.  But Hallmark is risking ruining the fantasy of Hallmark! No one breaks up.  No one!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

They do.  But Hallmark is risking ruining the fantasy of Hallmark! No one breaks up.  No one!

This.  How am I supposed to believe the declarations of love at the end of this movie, when I believed them last time and it apparently wasn't true?  The other thing is that their flirty banter comes across as two people getting to know one another for the first time.  The whole, 'It's a date!  Well, not a date,' trope that is used in every single movie, doesn't ring true for two people who climbed a fire truck for one another.  Maybe one of them is a long-lost twin who has just come back to town.

I watched Open by Christmas even though I am no fan of the female lead.  I liked the movie, despite it being apparent from the opening credits who wrote the card.  The thing that I noticed at the beginning of the movie, that I couldn't get over, is that this was supposedly a card that she found tucked in a book but had never seen before, yet the envelope had clearly been opened when she found it.  It's probably a continuity thing but if you are going to base the whole premise of your movie on a recently discovered, heretofore unopened card, you should at least make sure it's unopened.

I have invited my next door neighbour over to watch My Christmas Family Tree tonight.  I have actually found someone who doesn't laugh in my face about watching these movies, and it's an Andrew Walker vehicle, so will hopefully have some laughs.

• Love 2

I'm half watching Christmas Sail (I think that's what it's called lol) right now and I think I have to rethink my hate for Katee Sackhoff. She's quite charming in this. Maybe I just hated the 2 characters I've seen her play and just assumed that meant I hated her lol.

• LOL 1

I’ve made it 30 minutes into Open by Christmas and it is not holding by attention at all. I just can’t bring myself to care about the main plot and the secondary one isn’t getting enough focus to counteract the boredom. 

15 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’ve made it 30 minutes into Open by Christmas and it is not holding by attention at all. I just can’t bring myself to care about the main plot and the secondary one isn’t getting enough focus to counteract the boredom. 

Yeah, it was a total snooze.

• Love 1

I’m liking My Christmas Family Tree right now. It’s a different storyline than usual so it’s keeping my interest, and I’m liking the leads a lot, and it’s nice to see James Tupper. 
Oh my goodness Christmas just threw up in their house. At least they acknowledged that the decorations were extra. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm half watching Christmas Sail (I think that's what it's called lol) right now and I think I have to rethink my hate for Katee Sackhoff. She's quite charming in this. Maybe I just hated the 2 characters I've seen her play and just assumed that meant I hated her lol.

I think I know which characters and I concur lol. If you like this side of her, check out How I Married My High School Crush, back when Lifetime did rom coms. It's a cute time travel story with some humor to it and she was charming in that one.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, GussieK said:

Has anyone seen Christmas Comes Twice?  I just watched it. It’s another time travel story. I don’t understand why they didn’t save the life of the teacher who had hidden heart disease. 

I really liked this one, too, and I agree they should have added a way to save the teacher. But something tells me with time constraints and possibly limited screenplay/storytelling mojo, they skipped past it instead of stepping on the butterfly. 

• Love 1

My Christmas Family Tree was OK, with a different storyline and the background of a (gasp!) unwed mother although she is never seen.  They manage to throw every single one of their tiresome must-haves including skating, children singing in a Christmas pageant, seventeen milliion decorations, selecting and decorating the tree, family dinner, "hot" cocoa by the gallon, and falling in love in less than a week.  The anvils raining down were enough to kill the viewer and the premise was just beyond credible.  Tolerable although I wouldn't watch it again.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

"hot" cocoa by the gallon

They must have heard you, as last night’s offering, “One December Night” had the line, “your mom made the best cocoa!”