Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Speaking of Luke MacFarlane, whom I think of exclusively as a Canadian Hallmark actor, I was surprised to see him yesterday in two episodes of a 36-hour streaming of the 2012/2013 TV series 'Smash', all about Broadway and featuring mostly stage / New York actors.  He was in the 2nd season as a guy who had won a Tony award the year before and was on the Tony voting committee.   He may have a broader resume' than I'd thought, but it sure surprised me to see him in that environment. 

And speaking of cross-overs, one of the principal actors in 'Smash' was Jeremy Jordan, who has done two Hallmark movies, Holly and Ivy and Mix-Up in the Mediterranean.  And who has won a Tony himself, I think, for Newsies.  

On 9/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I hadn’t seen that movie but I like Juan and want to see him in more things.

He's good in it.  So is Peter Porte.  Too bad Peter's character is an absolute jerk. Lifetime's The Christmas Setup was better.

I'm glad The Christmas House is getting a sequel. 

I'm curious about tonight's Hallmark movie.  I like Tom Everett Scott as an actor so it might elevate the material--hopefully.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I see no comments and wondered if anyone had watched Taking The Reins?  I taped it even though I have a very hard time watching anything with Nikki DeLoach and based on the lack of comments here, I will assume it wasn't particularly good.  Either that, or the Hallmark channel carried it a long time ago and the comments are several pages back (I went back 5 pages) or it hasn't yet aired on Hallmark (I watched on W) which seems unlikely.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I see no comments and wondered if anyone had watched Taking The Reins?  I taped it even though I have a very hard time watching anything with Nikki DeLoach and based on the lack of comments here, I will assume it wasn't particularly good.  Either that, or the Hallmark channel carried it a long time ago and the comments are several pages back (I went back 5 pages) or it hasn't yet aired on Hallmark (I watched on W) which seems unlikely.

I didn't watch it Saturday, but caught a few minutes of it on Sunday. It seemed okay; I'll try to catch the whole thing sometime or another. However, I do like Nikki DeLoach, so that may not be much of a recommendation for you, @bankerchick. (I did see that Janine Turner from Northern Exposure played her mother, another reason for me to watch it. I loved that show, at least until Joel left.)

Also, I'm mentioning this here rather than in the Mysteries topic because this movie wasn't a mystery and not everyone in this thread hangs out there:

Did anyone else watch Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone on HM&M Sunday evening, and if so, what did you think? Of course, Tom Everett Scott has a place in my heart forever from That Thing You Do! but I thought he was quite appealing in this. I saw that the original book is by Phaedra Patrick, an English author whose books are on my TBR list, and I liked the movie well enough that this book will probably move up the list a bit.

• Love 1

I started Taking the Reins on Saturday but stopped halfway through because it was irritating me.  I ended up watching the second half and liked it fine.  Scott Porter is very appealing and the horses / scenery were wonderful.  Janine Turner and Corbin Bernsen were also terrific.  I like Niki in some things but she's not a favorite.  

I also started the Benedict Stone movie because I too love love love Tom Everett Scott.  And again, I quit about 1/3 of the way in because the teenage girl was driving me nuts.  Way too flighty / look at me "I'm whimsical" for me to tolerate.  How was it overall?  I don't know that I'll circle back (sorry TES) because of the teenager but was just wondering.

44 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I also started the Benedict Stone movie because I too love love love Tom Everett Scott.  And again, I quit about 1/3 of the way in because the teenage girl was driving me nuts.  Way too flighty / look at me "I'm whimsical" for me to tolerate.  How was it overall?  I don't know that I'll circle back (sorry TES) because of the teenager but was just wondering.

I will admit, she annoyed the bejeepers out of me, too, enough that I considered coming back to watch the rest later. But honestly, I did end up enjoying the whole thing, despite the niece.

BTW, I thought she looked way older than 16 (I think IMDB said she's 20 or 21). However, I tried to keep in mind that—having been a teenage girl, having three sisters that were teenage girls, and being the aunt of four recently teenaged girls—they are the most annoying creatures on the planet at certain stages. So I don't think she was that far off with her snits, flights, and tantrums. Annoying, yes, but true to my experience.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, kirinan said:

(I did see that Janine Turner from Northern Exposure played her mother, another reason for me to watch it. I loved that show, at least until Joel left.)

Janine Turner plays her mother?  Sheesh, do I feel old.

I adored every second of Northern Exposure until Joel departed as well.  Such a unique show.  The fact that it's not available except on DVD just makes me stabby.

• Love 2

Taking The Reins was fine.  I like Nikki mostly and I liked the guest stars.  It was actually the ex who was just sorta there for me.

9 hours ago, kirinan said:

Did anyone else watch Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone on HM&M Sunday evening, and if so, what did you think?

I liked it.  It had the most Hallmark Hall of Fame feel to it than any other Hallmark movie (HHoF billed or not) had in many years. 

For those who want more family stories, this is primarily what this was.  Yes, the teen was a little annoying.  Teens are annoying.  But she served a purpose in his life and she served a purpose in his.  And I like how they even acknowledged she was a bit much at times. 

The leads were very good and I really liked the story they told with them. I liked that trying to have a baby was pulling them apart and, in order to reconcile, they had to get to a place where having it be just the two of them is enough. 

I was expecting it to end in a surprise pregnancy, surprise adoption or that the niece was pregnant with a baby for them to adopt.  And that didn't happen at all.  They didn't even follow up on the adoption option which was refreshing for a Hallmark movie. 

Maybe the brother angle was a little undertold but all in all, I thought it was a good entry.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I watched Taking the Reins, I like Nikki, she brings a maturity to her roles. And I liked the horses. It wasnt the bestest thing but I thought it was a bit different. It's been a while since I just LOVED one of these movies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

She's back in the Hallmark "family" thanks to the upcoming WCTH Xmas movie and the WCTH spinoff. I'm wondering if this all goes well if the mystery movies are next...

Lori Loughlin Sets Return to Acting With When Calls the Heart Spinoff

I was just about to bring that over. Are they testing the waters to see what happens with this? Olivia Jade didn't get eliminated week one on Dancing with the Stars, so maybe they think people won't mind seeing them on TV again?

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

She's back in the Hallmark "family" thanks to the upcoming WCTH Xmas movie and the WCTH spinoff. I'm wondering if this all goes well if the mystery movies are next...

Lori Loughlin Sets Return to Acting With When Calls the Heart Spinoff

But I don't think GAC Family, who bought the rights to the show, is owned in any way by Hallmark. They fired the guy who runs GAC now, so she's not really back in the Hallmark family, right? 

My guess is that GAC plans to build their own Hallmark-ish studio system, to attract those viewers who have turned against Hallmark for their various stances. 

20 minutes ago, kirinan said:

But I don't think GAC Family, who bought the rights to the show, is owned in any way by Hallmark. They fired the guy who runs GAC now, so she's not really back in the Hallmark family, right? 

My guess is that GAC plans to build their own Hallmark-ish studio system, to attract those viewers who have turned against Hallmark for their various stances. 

I was so tired when I originally posted this morning and missed the GAC stuff. I'll delete my post or ask for it to be deleted since it doesn't belong in this thread. Sorry for posting misinformation. 

P.S.  I think the original WCTC is still on Hallmark if I'm reading the end of the article I posted correctly. So maybe I'll hold off on asking for anything to be deleted.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, kirinan said:

Yes. GAC Family is completely unconnected to Hallmark. The production company that is behind When Calls the Heart and When Hope Calls is the same one producing the upcoming movies for GAC Family. Seems like the new Hallmark CEO quietly canceled When Hope Calls and Abbott picked it up for GAC Family. 

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

P.S.  I think the original WCTC is still on Hallmark if I'm reading the end of the article I posted correctly. So maybe I'll hold off on asking for anything to be deleted.

It is but Hallmark has never been a producer of WCTH. The two shows will be on completely separate networks. 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, kirinan said:

Did anyone else watch Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone on HM&M Sunday evening, and if so, what did you think? Of course, Tom Everett Scott has a place in my heart forever from That Thing You Do! but I thought he was quite appealing in this. I saw that the original book is by Phaedra Patrick, an English author whose books are on my TBR list, and I liked the movie well enough that this book will probably move up the list a bit.

I need to stop drinking wine while I read here, because I initially read that the original book was by Phaedra Parks. I was thinking that there was no way that Hallmark would base a movie on something a former Real Housewife wrote. I then went back a reread it. Phew. 

• LOL 2

Watched Love Strikes Twice tonight and absolutely loved it. I’d have to say it was my favorite Hallmark movie in many months (if not years). Katie Findlay was fabulous, IMO. (I couldn’t figure out where I’d seen her before, but I just IMDB’d her and realized she played Maggie, Carrie’s best friend and the only character I liked in The Carrie Diaries.) I loved her relationship with her brother, and the teasing between the kids and their parents, and the little “caper” she and Josh pulled off. She was a strong, confident character. I hope to see her again in something else.

Did anyone else watch it?

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Watched Love Strikes Twice tonight and absolutely loved it. I’d have to say it was my favorite Hallmark movie in many months (if not years). Katie Findlay was fabulous, IMO. (I couldn’t figure out where I’d seen her before, but I just IMDB’d her and realized she played Maggie, Carrie’s best friend and the only character I liked in The Carrie Diaries.) I loved her relationship with her brother, and the teasing between the kids and their parents, and the little “caper” she and Josh pulled off. She was a strong, confident character. I hope to see her again in something else.

Did anyone else watch it?

I watched. While I think it was a bit lighter on the romance aspect compared to most Hallmark movies, I enjoyed a lot of the plot points going on and the humor. I kind of wish they had cast two love interests with different hair color for her. Even as a white woman (since research suggests we're better at differentiating people of our own race), it was challenging to tell the two blonde dudes apart besides slightly different hairstyle, lol. I would have kept Josh, played by Wyatt Nash, because he played opposite Katie in The Bridge on Hallmark and I liked them together a lot in that (though could have done without the sequel). 

• Love 2

I watched it too and I thought it was pretty darn terrific.  I do think it was probably one of my favorite Hallmark movies in years to the point that I wondered if Crown Media made this or if they got it from outside.

The humor was pretty good.  I loved the relationship between the lead and her brother and how he was her confidante about the time jump.  Her parents even got to have  heat when they were practicing dancing for their 25th.

And I was waiting for them to pull out the tried and true "historical building" protection for a Carnegie built library (which would have made sense) but they got creative and exposed the developer to be a crook.

12 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

While I think it was a bit lighter on the romance aspect compared to most Hallmark movies, I enjoyed a lot of the plot points going on and the humor.

It might have been less focused on the romance part but they got so much mileage out of the time they did spend on it.  For instance, I always love to have a little ache when I watch a couple.  That tells me I'm emotionally involved.  And when I say ache, I'm talking about how I felt when they were sitting on the library steps after they were rejected by the judge and Josh was talking about the power of words and said "I love you."  And it was a little achy because she loved him too but was engaged to someone else.  And the only reason she was engaged to someone else is because she felt that she wasn't making future Josh happy so not getting into a relationship with him might lead to a happier future for him. I felt for the emotions in that moment. There was some real logic as to why she was making the wrong choices she was.

Sure, there were some silly things about it.  The actors were in their early 30s but the characters were supposed to be in their late 30s.  And then I don't think the dates really lined up for them completing graduate school, getting married, being married for 15 years and then only being 37. I also find it a little hard to believe she'd run this big social justice law firm in a suburb of Chicago instead of in Chicago.

Those were small quibbles, though.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

I admit, I almost turns Love Strikes Twice off, but got sucked back in when she revealed her predicament to her brother. This movie has one of the best family dynamics I’ve seen in a Hallmark movie. Usually they lay on the quirk pretty thick, but the actors had a great chemistry. The lead actress reminded me of Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She was quite good. 

• Love 4

I agree that Love Strikes Twice was one of the best new movies in a very long time, with a really delightful lead actress in Katie Findlay and just a great story.  My only kvetch, as noted above too, was that it was a little difficult to tell Country Club boyfriend from Socially Conscious boyfriend when one or the other would come into a scene.  

I probably missed one or two elements of the 'time travel' story (like the flip phone) and will watch it again to pick up on those.  

• Love 3

I'm finally catching up, so I can now say that I enjoyed Taking the Reins, though admittedly that was because of  Scott Porter.  He's just wonderful. I also liked the fact that they didn't do anything really with the other lady as "competition" for his affections. It looked like it was going that way, but then they didn't go there, which I really appreciated.

I also loved Corbin Bernsen, and you can't go wrong with the horses.

I think the sister was the only part of that one that didn't really work for me. 

I watched Benedict Stone and I love Tom Everett Scott, so I was surprised that at first he was just not hitting the mark for me.  Eventually I got there, but his facial expressions at first were just odd. I couldn't figure out why he didn't act more upset by his wife leaving.   The return of the brother could have been better, too.  I think Charlie could have admitted that Ben needed to do what he did to save their whole family, and Ben could have split profits or something with him. Communication is not the strong suit of this family.

Anyway, it was fine, but not as good as I had hoped.

I wasn't going to watch Love Strikes Twice, but y'all have convinced me to give it a try. On the previews the girl just didn't appeal to me and the guys seemed bland, but if y'all say it's good I'll check it out.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
to bold the movie titles
  • Love 2

Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved Love Strikes Twice. Maggie, Josh and her family were charming and I really liked the anti Hallmark moment when the Mom was talking about not liking the concept of 'the one'. It's the first Hallmark movie I've actually paid attention to for months, instead of doing other things and checking in to see if the kiss comes before or after the stupid misunderstanding. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I wasn't going to watch Love Strikes Twice, but y'all have convinced me to give it a try. On the previews the girl just didn't appeal to me and the guys seemed bland, but if y'all say it's good I'll check it out.

To be fair, the guys remain mostly bland throughout. They probably could have dropped the romance entirely and I wouldn’t have noticed. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

To be fair, the guys remain mostly bland throughout. They probably could have dropped the romance entirely and I wouldn’t have noticed. 

The two guys were similar and I did have to ask my self who was when when they came on screen.

But I think the writing gave them more dimension, or at least the husband, and personality than most Hallmark leads. I don't think either actor would rise above the writing but that's what was kind of nice about this movie, the writing was there.

• Love 3

Well, I just watched Save the Wedding.  That was BAD.  I hated her. I hated him. I hated the bride. I hated the Mother in Law. I hated the mother of the bride.  It was all bad.

Unfortunately it’s a carbon copy of an earlier movie, but not nearly as well done. I can’t remember who the people were in that one, but I know I found them a lot more appealing.  

Excuse me while I go to IMDB and get the names of these actors so I can make sure to avoid them in the future.

Oh, and I watched Roadhouse Romance and Raise a Glass.

Raise a Glass was just okay.  I didn’t really buy the appeal of that guy for her.  He just looked so messy all the time.  I wanted to comb his hair and tell him to take a shower.  He just looked dirty to me.  I guess I’m old.

On the other hand, Roadhouse Romance was better than expected.  I love Tyler Hines so much.  He’d have chemistry with a fence post, but I was a little worried about the acting of this singer.  I was pleasantly surprised by her acting. She was cute with her shy facial expressions.  It actually worked for me.

Edited by SusanwatchingTV
Added two more movies to my reviews.
  • Love 1

OMG, who is Erin Cahill married to, or who does she have blackmail on?  I know I have complained about her before, but she is the most charisma-sucking actress in the entire Hallmark pantheon.  It's like her idea of acting is to read lines in an 'upbeat' way and make stupid faces.  She is currently ruining Love Stories in Sunflower Valley, which, to be honest, doesn't look like much of a movie but Marcus Rosner might have had potential.

I did finally watch Love Strikes Twice.  I enjoyed the movie but agree with the comments that the guys were bland, indeed, not even necessary to the story.  One part of the movie I did find particularly sweet was when the brother who appears to believe her time travelling, asks what he's like in the future.  'I'm not always going to be like this, am I?' kind've broke my heart.

I finally watched Love Strikes Twice last night.  I see what y'all mean about the guys, though I thought the husband was pretty good. The other guy was yuck. I couldn't see why she found him even remotely appealing, honestly.  Especially with the father issues that kid had.

The poor brother, though.  I never really understood what his deal was when he was a loser, but it was good to see him happy in the new future.

Overall it was good.  I'm not sure I'd call it a favorite, but it was definitely not terrible.

I'm a huge Library lover, so I was very glad they saved the library. lol

• Love 1

I agree with @Irlandesa that I think the writing helped with Josh. I enjoyed the quirks that they created for him. Re-watching, I was more amused than I probably should have been by his dislike for wearing other people's clothing and him freaking out while running over Maggie's dad's ladder. And moments during the golf course shenanigans, like, "Have either of you seen a rat?"

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

The poor brother, though.  I never really understood what his deal was when he was a loser, but it was good to see him happy in the new future.

That was a little underwritten but there was a cheerleader he was flirting with and she wasn't happy they were going on a date because she apparently broke his heart very badly and that was the reason given as to why he was sort of stuck. 

Things changed for him when he met the other girl he eventually married who was a geek like him.  Another thing was his sister telling him that he should go all in on apps.  He was kind of scoffing at them in the 2005 but trusted his sister-from-the-future's reporting.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Things changed for him when he met the other girl he eventually married who was a geek like him.

Like Back to the Future, when she came back, everyone was looking better and living a better life.  Oh, for a 15-year do-over......................

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That was a little underwritten but there was a cheerleader he was flirting with and she wasn't happy they were going on a date because she apparently broke his heart very badly and that was the reason given as to why he was sort of stuck. 

Things changed for him when he met the other girl he eventually married who was a geek like him.  Another thing was his sister telling him that he should go all in on apps.  He was kind of scoffing at them in the 2005 but trusted his sister-from-the-future's reporting.

Thanks.

I understood why things were better for him in the new future - I heard her tell him about the apps and saw her point the girl with the cute shirt toward him — but I somehow missed the first part where he got stuck. 

I probably wasn’t paying close enough attention at the beginning.

17 hours ago, mikeb said:

Not only is Lori Loughlin appearing in When Hope Calls when it moves to GAC channel, but so is her former When Calls The Heart co-star Daniel Lissing.

When Hope Calls is in the same universe as When Calls the Heart.  The characters have appeared in crossover shows.  Is Daniel Lissing going to appear as a long lost twin brother?  Was someone else really crushed under the landslide and Jack has been wandering around with amnesia all of this time?  Is he a zombie?  The possibilities are endless.

I am catching up on movies and just watched Benedict Stone.  I love the necklace Benedict designed for Emilia at the end.  How can I find the designer?

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, ShelleySue said:

Is Daniel Lissing going to appear as a long lost twin brother?  Was someone else really crushed under the landslide and Jack has been wandering around with amnesia all of this time?  Is he a zombie?  The possibilities are endless.

All soap opera tropes for sure.

We've been discussing this over on the WCTH thread, and after reading an article posted there I've decided he's going to be a ghost or a flashback for Lori.  

I can't see it being good, and I've never seen more than the first episode of WHC, but I guess I'll have to watch it to see. They'll get a ratings boost out of it for one episode, at least.

22 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

Thanks.

I understood why things were better for him in the new future - I heard her tell him about the apps and saw her point the girl with the cute shirt toward him — but I somehow missed the first part where he got stuck. 

I probably wasn’t paying close enough attention at the beginning.

I don't think there was a definitive explanation for why he was stuck in the original future. They seemed to just suggest that he was a nerdy guy with very little confidence, even before the original timeline incident with the cheerleader who treated him poorly. His sister kept referencing confidence, and I think even at the very beginning of the movie the dad said something about confidence to him. So he probably wasn't taking many risks or putting himself out there much and was worried that he would be that way in the future, which he was before Maggie strategically tried to change things. 

• Useful 1

I might watch this one even though I didn't read the book. Is this the first book they've actually adapted from their publishing imprint?

Edited by In2You
53 minutes ago, In2You said:

I might watch this one even though I didn't read the book.

I didn't know it was from a book but thought I would like to check it out.  I like Taylor Cole and the guy is like a poor man's Harry Connick Jr.  Very nice.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:47 PM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I finally watched Love Strikes Twice last night.  I see what y'all mean about the guys, though I thought the husband was pretty good. The other guy was yuck. I couldn't see why she found him even remotely appealing, honestly.  Especially with the father issues that kid had.

I'm glad I read about this here before watching last night or I would have been totally confused.  Why would they pick actors that looked so much alike?  

It was a slightly different story which was appreciated. I quite liked Katie Findlay, she was quite a refreshing change from the usual Hallmark stable of actors.

Edited by Cetacean
hit Enter too soon
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, In2You said:

I might watch this one even though I didn't read the book. Is this the first book they've actually adapted from their publishing imprint?

I know A Timeless Christmas with Ryan Paevey came from a book that was published first, but I'm not sure if there are others. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I didn't know it was from a book but thought I would like to check it out.  I like Taylor Cole and the guy is like a poor man's Harry Connick Jr.  Very nice.

William Levy competed on DWTS with Cheryl Burke as his partner/teacher. He's a fairly good dancer.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, luvthepros said:

William Levy competed on DWTS with Cheryl Burke as his partner/teacher. He's a fairly good dancer.

He's also a very popular telenovela star and he's bringing the sexy to this movie

• Love 3

I enjoyed South Beach Love.  I was also interested in the quincaneara traditions.  I thought the leads were really good together, the lead actor was hot and I always enjoy Taylor Cole, but I thought her baby-doll outfits, pigtail braids and funky bike were a little much.

• Love 2