Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My favorite thing about Hallmark fall movies is watching the same handful of fake trees filled with colorful foliage migrate to different scenes, as the set designers desperately try to convince us that the movie was actually filmed in the fall. I just pretend that the trees are sentient and are sneakily following the main characters around town. I swear, one day I'll actually catch them moving!

Seriously, this was the only way I stayed awake through the dreadful Roadhouse Romance. There was so little chemistry between the leads that I genuinely kept forgetting that this was supposed to be a romance and not just a friendship. And could Lauren's character be any more of a Mary Sue? Medical doctor, great singer, great cook, and oh, she also gave amazing editorial notes on the first movie script she ever read. Is there anything she can't do? 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Seriously, this was the only way I stayed awake through the dreadful Roadhouse Romance. There was so little chemistry between the leads that I genuinely kept forgetting that this was supposed to be a romance and not just a friendship. And could Lauren's character be any more of a Mary Sue? Medical doctor, great singer, great cook, and oh, she also gave amazing editorial notes on the first movie script she ever read. Is there anything she can't do? 

Ditto. It was so over the top ridiculous.  And don't forget a military veteran.  Bet she's nominated for sainthood.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

The fall movies don't sound very fall-like

Probably because fall movies aren't a big draw like Christmas ones.  I mean, they just dress the characters in designer flannel, toss them on a hay-strewn pumpkin farm with pretty colored leaves gently falling around them while they drink some hot cinnamon-apple spiced beverage and VOILA!  Fall Hallmark movie!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Are they even doing fall movies this year? 

I do think it's interesting that Hallmark Movies and Mysteries are doing new movies in September/October but they look like more romantic drama type movies instead of mysteries.  I thought those movies were supposed to go on Hallmark Drama. 

So is this a sign that Hallmark Drama isn't doing so well?  Or is it a sign that the mysteries aren't?

I'd be surprised if Hallmark Drama IS doing well. Other than the fact that they've been showing the McBride movies with John Larroquette every so often (not a mystery fan, but I will watch him in ANYTHING, and they're actually quite good--even my husband watches them), I haven't seen anything interesting on there in ages. It's still way too many Waltons and Little House reruns, and their commercials are probably 90%-plus for upcoming Hallmark movies, so they can't be getting much in ad revenue. 

• Love 4

Seeing the shout-out to McBride, I want to mention that my very favorite ever Hallmark movie, One Royal Holiday, is in the rotation today, and it really is excellent -- The story (for me anyway) is off a bit from the usuals, and the best part is the exceptional talent of all the leads - Broadway people who were available when this was filmed last year.  There are a few Tony award nominees, one Tony winner (Victoria Clark / the Queen), and two of them -- Krystal Joy Brown and Aaron Tveit will be back on Broadway in the next few weeks.  She is ((either Angelica or Eliza) Schuyler, in Hamilton, and he is the lead in Moulin Rouge).  I've watched this a lot and every time appreciate more the subtlety of some of their acting.

Such strong performances across the board, and characters I cared about.  Just sayin'.  🙂

• Love 5

Two of my favorites on tonight — that never happens — One Royal Holiday (amazing talent in that cast) and The Irresistible Blueberry Farm (charming story with Marc Blucas and Alison Sweeney whose chemistry is wonderful together plus a great supporting cast).  

• Love 1

I liked Raise a Glass to Love - the leads had chemistry, the scenery was pretty and wine is not a subject I know much about. (I don’t drink alcohol). 
 I also liked Uncorked on Netflix that came out last year, which was better but made me think I’d like other movies about wine. 

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Not even an hour into Sand Dollar Cove and I am literally falling asleep.  Totally trite, formulaic and predictable from the first scene.  Bailing out.

That came out over July 4th weekend. I too fell asleep! I wanted to watch it because I liked Aly and Chad. Today I guess I stayed up waiting for Raise a Glass to Love. Aly and Chad deserved better!

• Love 1

I am being silly and petty, but I do not want to watch Laura Osnes in anything anymore. I passed on her latest offering.

I finally got around to watching Roadhouse Romance. Everything that was already said here about this movie was right on the money. The leads did not have any chemistry. Lauren's character was the epitome of a Mary Sue. I was rolling my eyes at how great she was at everything.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I love Christmas and yet I don’t like that Christmas programming starts so early

One holiday at a time, please.  They probably think their "At Hallmark, we celebrate Halloween a little differently" is just so clever. I think it's sad.  Halloween and Thanksgiving deserve some recognition  especially Thanksgiving.

Plus the whole endless barrage of boring Christmas movies with the same recycled themes are just a way to promote Balsam Hill products.  The movies are supposedly all about family and magic but it's just one big sales pitch - it's all about the money.

• Love 1

I hate that Thanksgiving just gets skipped.  There are family plots that could be done set around Thanksgiving that could make good  movies.  They used to try to do one Thanksgiving movie but they just dropped the holiday altogether.

• Love 4

I turned away during the last commercial break of Raise A Glass To Love, forgetting I was watching on Restart and missed the last part.  I'm sure I will be shocked to learn that everyone lives happily ever after, but just want to confirm how it happens.  Does her boyfriend offer her the sommelier job, but she turns it down and decides to stick around and start a new winery with the hottie, who somehow buys the vacant vineyard?  Or do they take over her parents vineyard now that they have been happily married for 40 years and decide to retire?  OR, does she decide to work at her boyfriend's restaurant and stay with him, even though he thinks so little of her he didn't even tell her the sommelier job was vacant at his restaurant despite the current somm recommending her specifically?  KIDDING!

10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am being silly and petty, but I do not want to watch Laura Osnes in anything anymore. I passed on her latest offering.

Not silly or petty at all.  I'm no particular fan of hers, but there are several Hallmark actresses that I cannot watch at all, including many that are very popular on this board.  In fact I will be otherwise engaged next week when Nikki DeLoach's latest movie is on.

I was 'all in' on the hunky male lead though (Juan Pablo Di Pace.)

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Not even an hour into Sand Dollar Cove and I am literally falling asleep.  Totally trite, formulaic and predictable from the first scene.  Bailing out

I watched that last night and actually found it watchable.  Not a lot of eye rolling, even from the precocious niece.  And CMM's performance was pretty decent to where I wasn't even thinking of Lucas from One Tree Hill

I was really surprised that Nana was played by Glynnis O'Conner (boy, do I feel old - remember her from Ode To Billy Joe) and CMMs sister was played by Clare Bowen (Scarlett from Nashville)

3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I was 'all in' on the hunky male lead though (Juan Pablo Di Pace.)

Me too.  Got an hour into it on live tv last night, but corked off.  Hoping it uploaded to On Demand so I can finish

4 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

They used to try to do one Thanksgiving movie but they just dropped the holiday altogether.

Or they just lump it into the 'fall movie' themes.  Just toss in a turkey dinner and there you go!

Edited by ctlady
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I liked Raise a Glass to Love - the leads had chemistry, the scenery was pretty and wine is not a subject I know much about. (I don’t drink alcohol). 
 I also liked Uncorked on Netflix that came out last year, which was better but made me think I’d like other movies about wine. 

That came out over July 4th weekend. I too fell asleep! I wanted to watch it because I liked Aly and Chad. Today I guess I stayed up waiting for Raise a Glass to Love. Aly and Chad deserved better!

I will not be watching any movies or anything else with Laura Osnes who is an anti-Covid vaxxer. She can pound sand.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I will not be watching any movies or anything else with Laura Osnes who is an anti-Covid vaxxer. She can pound sand.

You should let Hallmark know that.  As will I.  They don't know why they lose viewers unless told.

Loved Loving Leah today.  What a nice surprise.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I just can’t with Hallmark starting Christmas programming in October.  I love Christmas and yet I don’t like that Christmas programming starts so early.

I did like this commercial because they were poking fun at themselves. But no I won’t be watching any Hallmark until after thanksgiving as usual because I CANNOT with Christmas movies before Halloween. 

3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

There’s something about that movie- it captures the essence of what A+ Hallmark movies used to be like. I love it so much. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

I was really surprised that Nana was played by Glynnis O'Conner (boy, do I feel old - remember her from Ode To Billy Joe) and CMMs sister was played by Clare Bowen (Scarlett from Nashville)

Wow, I totally missed that when I watched it (way back on the original premiere night). I will have to check it out again to see. I didn't mind this movie and could watch it again. It was slow, yes, but it held my attention and I watched it through.

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Well, then I shall continue to support her-and anyone who chooses to make a choice as to when they’re ready to have something injected into their body without being harassed, bullied or shamed for it. Maybe she wants to get pregnant and doesn’t want it yet-as it the situation with a co worker if mine and I respect her decision for her body and that if her future child I’m not anti vax-just anti being forced to do some thing I’m not yet  ready for 

• Love 4
On 9/17/2021 at 1:02 AM, Cherpumple said:

My favorite thing about Hallmark fall movies is watching the same handful of fake trees filled with colorful foliage migrate to different scenes, as the set designers desperately try to convince us that the movie was actually filmed in the fall. I just pretend that the trees are sentient and are sneakily following the main characters around town. I swear, one day I'll actually catch them moving!

Hallmark movies need more Ents.  Although, I'm still waiting for the movie adaptation of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters.

• LOL 2

Was Saturday’s wine movie filmed at the same vineyard as the ones with a llama (alpaca?)?  The house looked familiar.

I can’t remember who was in the previous duo, just that in the first movie, each half of a divorcing couple left the vineyard to a different person, who couldn’t stand each other.  The second movie had a wedding, maybe between the sibling/siblings of the leads from the first movie.

15 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Halloween and Thanksgiving deserve some recognition  especially Thanksgiving.

Are we even allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving anymore?  The wokie crowd implies that anyone who celebrates it is a racist person who should be consumed with white guilt and ashamed to celebrate it in any way.

We all know the kumbaya story of the pilgrims and Indians feasting together is bullshit and no one (sane) denies how horrifically the were treated.

but why does that mean I can’t make a fabulous dinner and enjoy family and be thankful for what I have? If Hallmark makes a traditional thanksgiving movie it will be soundly criticized. At this point it’s no wonder they phone it in, no matter what they do it’s wrong if it smacks of tradition.

• Love 1

I want to thank the person above who mentioned Loving Leah, which I just watched for the first time ever.  It was really interesting, and delightful!  And, an entirely unique story, with nary a pumpkin festival or old high school boyfriend in sight.  So enjoyable !

Also I was surprised at the principal actors -- was not familiar with either of them, but the Leah has a heck of a bio, and the guy is adorable.  Finally, I always love seeing Mercedes Ruehl.  A big win all the way around, and I wouldn't have taken the time if I hadn't seen it mentioned here.  Thanks!

p.s.  Have passed by the wine movie again, and am still pretty 'Meh' about it, except the scenery is beautiful.  

• Love 2

Ooh, I hope Juan Pablo Di Pace shows up in more Hallmark movies. Yes, please. 

Regarding the ads for Hallmark Christmas movies...Is there really such a big demand for Christmas movies in freaking October? Two months of Christmas is just too much — OMG I hate it so much! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Regarding the ads for Hallmark Christmas movies...Is there really such a big demand for Christmas movies in freaking October? Two months of Christmas is just too much — OMG I hate it so much!

This....this......totally this!  The commercial where kids are trick or treating (in a perfect, well-lit at night neighborhood with perfect houses and parents accompanying - do those kinds of trick or treating even exist anymore?) and instead go across the street to a house lit up with Christmas lights instead.  Why even bother with Halloween or Thanksgiving and lets start putting out the Christmas swag as soon as Labor Day is over 🙄

I watched an older (2016) movie on Hallmark On Demand - Love In Paradise with Luke Perry and  Emmanuelle Vaugier (sp?)  It was sad seeing Perry as this was filmed 3 years before his death.  He plays an actor known for his cowboy/western movie installments whose career is now on the decline (Perry was 49 at the time of the movie).  To stir up some PR, his manager sends him to a dude ranch in Montana owned by a former champion bull rider and his daughter (Vaugier).  Of course - said dude ranch is about to go into foreclosure at the end of the season ...blah, blah, blah.

I also thought the title didn't fit.  The word 'paradise' makes me think of a tropical island in the middle of nowhere, not a dude ranch

I thought Perry was really good in this, especially how he expressed his emotions and discomfort at having to be forced to do something he didn't want, only to find out it was just what he needed (of course - this is Hallmark!)  Sort of usual ending, but  had some non-contrived twists to it.

Edited by ctlady
It's 3 years, not 3 months
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, ctlady said:

Well, then I shall continue to support her-and anyone who chooses to make a choice as to when they’re ready to have something injected into their body without being harassed, bullied or shamed for it. Maybe she wants to get pregnant and doesn’t want it yet-as it the situation with a co worker if mine and I respect her decision for her body and that if her future child I’m not anti vax-just anti being forced to do some thing I’m not yet  ready for 

I'm very Pro-Vaccine, and I think she's wrong not to get the vaccine because I believe they're safe and effective, but I agree with you that the bullying of people for their beliefs needs to stop.  I'll make sure I watch her movies.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Are we even allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving anymore?  The wokie crowd implies that anyone who celebrates it is a racist person who should be consumed with white guilt and ashamed to celebrate it in any way.

We all know the kumbaya story of the pilgrims and Indians feasting together is bullshit and no one (sane) denies how horrifically the were treated.

but why does that mean I can’t make a fabulous dinner and enjoy family and be thankful for what I have? If Hallmark makes a traditional thanksgiving movie it will be soundly criticized. At this point it’s no wonder they phone it in, no matter what they do it’s wrong if it smacks of tradition.

I don't think it's the woke crowd so much as Thanksgiving becoming Black Friday Eve.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2021 at 2:11 PM, Cetacean said:

You should let Hallmark know that.  As will I.  They don't know why they lose viewers unless told.

Loving Leah is a wonderful movie. I saw it last year. What a nice way to describe it...... a nice surprise.

16 hours ago, Lugal said:

I don't think it's the woke crowd so much as Thanksgiving becoming Black Friday Eve.

Black Friday isn't even the day after Thanksgiving anymore.  Here our stores have 'early bird' get-the-jump on Black Friday sales on Nov 1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:03 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Yes there really is on the main channel. As soon as they switch to Christmas the ratings immediately jump up. On HMM it’s takes about a month longer for the Christmas boast to kick in. I don’t get it but there are a lot of people who apparently want Christmas movies in October. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

I don’t get it but there are a lot of people who apparently want Christmas movies in October. 

The same people who go over the top in decorating their own homes, probably literally starting in October so they are ready to suddenly 'turn Christmas on' on whatever arbitrary date they decide. 

I call Dec. 1 as the day I start thinking about hauling the tree and all the decorations upstairs and the date I will start to listen to Christmas music, but I will check the movies out earlier than that, for sure.  What if Paul Campbell's new movie debuts on (say) Nov. 17?  There's no way I'm going to miss it because it's too early.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

The same people who go over the top in decorating their own homes, probably literally starting in October so they are ready to suddenly 'turn Christmas on' on whatever arbitrary date they decide. 

Not necessarily. I wrote that I don’t get wanting Christmas movies in October and realized that’s not entirely true. I sort of like the Christmas movies before my real world turns to Christmas. It’s like a fantasy Christmas with no stress rather than real Christmas with a long list of things I need to do and crowded stores. Once I’m ready to start doing Christmas things in real life I spend less time with Hallmark Christmas.

I imagine I’m not the only when you enjoys Christmas movies outside of the Christmas season for that reason. 

I don't think not having Thanksgiving movies is due to anything other than a Thanksgiving movie has a very limited window of when it can air whereas a Christmas movie can air whenever during those two+ months. 

I would absolutely love a Halloween themed movie, more than a Thanksgiving movie (the worst holiday cuz it's boring) as I quite enjoy October Kiss but I do think it's just down to the fact that Christmas movies do better with viewers.  

On 9/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, luvthepros said:

Loving Leah is a wonderful movie. I saw it last year. What a nice way to describe it...... a nice surprise.

Ha.  Not a surprise if you read this thread.  Loving Leah, The Magic of Ordinary Days and Follow The Stars Home are some of the best love stories Hallmark has ever produced.  Good couples with real chemistry and drama from shame or complicated family situations. While there are third parties, it's more complicated than them simply existing.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Good couples with real chemistry and drama from shame or complicated family situations.

True that. And add Sarah Plain and Tall to that list.  A rare "good guy" role for Christopher Walken and he was great in it.  The acting was top notch as expected with that caliber of actors. 

Compare that to the stable of current Hallmark actors and it's jarring.  And very sad to see how low they have gone to achieve quantity over quality.

• Love 2

Hmmm.  Two movies on at the same time, which one to watch:

A Valentine's Match starring Bethany Joy Lenz and Luke Macfarlane  OR

Matching Hearts starring Taylor Cole and Ryan Paevey

Unlikeable actress and no-chemistry with anyone actor, or likeable actress and totally hot, somewhat wooden actor.

No contest.  Matching Hearts it is.  YMMV, of course.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I call Dec. 1 as the day I start thinking about hauling the tree and all the decorations upstairs and the date I will start to listen to Christmas music, but I will check the movies out earlier than that, for sure.  What if Paul Campbell's new movie debuts on (say) Nov. 17?  There's no way I'm going to miss it because it's too early.

All my life we’ve started Christmas Season the day after Thanksgiving.  I grew up in a small town that had a Christmas Festival on the first Saturday in December, so the whole town decorated right after Thanksgiving.  We always do it while the whole family is gathered for Tg.

I never watch any Christmas movie until after the tree is up, so I always record all the new movies and let them pile up on my DVR until I’m ready. Then I can sit down and watch them whenever.  

I just can’t do Christmas any other time than December.  I’ll never understand the Christmas in July people, but there must be a lot of them or Hallmark wouldn’t keep playing those movies then.

• Love 3

Shockingly, there seem to be some different storylines this year. I’m interested in the Paul Campbell one since there seems to be a mystery (glad it’s not on mystery channel because I don’t get it) and it has Tamera Mowry in it. I also enjoyed the first Christmas House movie, and the sister swap movies look fun. Plus I seem more diversity than last year.

• Love 2

From the Yahoo article:

'The Nine Kittens of Christmas

Starring: Brandon Routh, Kimberley Sustad, Gregory Harrison

Cat lovers Zachary and Marilee are thrown back together at Christmas when they're tasked with finding homes for a litter of adorable kittens.'

Thrown back together?  You mean they aren't still together??  I thought all these matches were supposed to last forever? Well.  I don't know what to believe now.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
On 9/20/2021 at 9:55 AM, ctlady said:

I thought Perry was really good in this, especially how he expressed his emotions and discomfort at having to be forced to do something he didn't want, only to find out it was just what he needed (of course - this is Hallmark!)  Sort of usual ending, but  had some non-contrived twists to it.

I liked that movie too. Much better all around-acting, setting, story, characters. 

Anyone in the UK used the Hallmark channel via Amazon Prime? 

Love watching Hallmark films at Christmas, I'm just wondering how good it is at adding the newest movies? Or am I still going to have to hunt down the internet to watch 2021 releases?

On 9/20/2021 at 1:03 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

Ooh, I hope Juan Pablo Di Pace shows up in more Hallmark movies. Yes, please. 

Re: the bolded - I definitely agree. I just watched Raise A Glass To Love, and it puts to rest the ridiculous antiquated concept that an openly gay actor can't create believable chemistry when paired with an actress. Juan Pablo was also wonderful in Paramount Network's 2020 holiday film Dashing In December when paired with straight actor Peter Porte.

Dashing In December 2.jpg

Dashing In December 1.jpeg

• Love 2
3 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Re: the bolded - I definitely agree. I just watched Raise A Glass To Love, and it puts to rest the ridiculous antiquated concept that an openly gay actor can't create believable chemistry when paired with an actress. Juan Pablo was also wonderful in Paramount Network's 2020 holiday film Dashing In December when paired with straight actor Peter Porte.

Dashing In December 2.jpg

Dashing In December 1.jpeg

I hadn’t seen that movie but I like Juan and want to see him in more things. 

I am watching Road House Romance - Tyler Hynes is great as always, and Lauren Alaina is charming. I didn’t know much about her other than she blew up over her cover of “If I Die Young” on American Idol several years ago…..but something was missing from the film. It kinda fell flat. I had more emotion about the bbq sauce than I did about Tyler’s character’s career. 

I checked out the list of new Christmas movies. I will make sure to check out Boyfriends of Christmas Past for Raymond Ablack (Degrassi) and Nine Kittens of Christmas. 

25 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

I believe Peter Porte is gay, not “straight.”  The movie he and Juan were in last year was heralded as being a benchmark for showing gay actors as leads. 

My bad, you're absolutely right - for some reason, when I read that he was married, I thought it was to a woman. How 20th century of me! 😳 Now that you mention it, I do remember one focus of the publicity for Dashing In December was on the fact that the two leads were both openly gay. Hopefully Hallmark will follow Paramount's lead in the near future...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I just watched Raise A Glass To Love, and it puts to rest the ridiculous antiquated concept that an openly gay actor can't create believable chemistry when paired with an actress.

So, all the more reason to stop using Luke Macfarlane in 5 movies every year.

Another person they need to move on from is Erin Cahill.  What a terrible actress.  I'm watching some orange, pumpkin movie with her and she is so wooden.  It's like she thinks she's emoting because she reads every line with a stupid grin.  Talk about charisma-free.