Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bronx Babe said:

Fit For a Prince.  God.  I should have added "Isle of Incredulity" to his geographical background.  However, I never found out where "Ronan" came from, because after the mean royal girl tried to sabotage our heroine by telling her the party was "casual" and the naive seamstress showed up in tee-shirt and leggings -- followed by the Prince in solidarity changing from his suit into an all-black rock-and-roll tee-shirt and jeans, I had had ENOUGH and yelled at the screen:  "Hallmark, you have insulted me and the rest of your viewership for the last time!!!!"  So I switched to another channel in a huff and never literally looked back.

How did this pathetic excuse for a script end?

You made it farther than I did. Knowing a little something about the world of fashion/design, it was too off the mark for me to bear. I ditched it after the female lead first visited the residence and met the mom (?) and weird grandma (?). The actors (all of them) played their roles as if they were actors playing actors playing characters. Never a “real” intonation, phrasing, response. No thanks.

This business of not even trying to make it real is why I just can’t with period movies/series, like WCTH. Just the lack of (historical, but really any kind of) accuracy makes me crazy.

Edited by StrictTime
Spelling
  • Love 2

Just finishing watching Over The Moon In Love, starring and apparently written by Jessica Lowndes, the actress on whose makeup we were just commenting, specifically, how overdone it is.  Her makeup in this movie is normal, maybe even subtle but to me the surprising thing is that this movie isn't terrible.  Don't get me wrong, it's not really good either, but I haven't wanted to throw anything at the tv and there were no moments where the characters were ridiculous.  Now I see in the closing credits that she wrote many of the songs and performed them as well??  I wonder how much 'writing' and 'singing' is actually performed by these actresses, but also, she's not exactly Julia Roberts.  If she didn't really write or sing, why would they give her the credit?

On another note, last night I watched Random Acts of Christmas because Kevin McGarry is totally hot.  However, may I state unequivocally that Erin Cahill is not only chemistry-free, but charisma-free as well.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie where the leads had such little chemistry.  And the kid who plays her son must be the producer's grandson or something because he was the worst child actror I have ever seen.  He yelled every line and it was clear he was reading most of them or at least watching someone offscreen feed him the lines.

I second that emotion about the inaccuracies in the Prince Ronan piece.  I've spent a lot of time over the years in shops making garments (for theater, in my case) and the absurdities here just gave me a cramp.  As mentioned above, take random measurements while chatting away, without writing anything down?  It struck me that all the people involved in those scenes are actors, and have themselves been measured for costumes dozens of times, and know how it goes.  Argh.  And as said too, even the most skilled designer / seamstress would not even suppose she / he could turn out a perfectly fitting garment - or three! - without at least one fitting before it was done. 

I had some disbelief too about blithely telling The Prince that they of course also designed and made men's wear.  Possible, but unlikely.

And finally, at the very end when it's suggested she do one more 'spontaneous' thing, what was that very awkward little set of twitches that she put on ?  Unless it's a contemporary style of dance I don't recognize, it was just kind of alarming.  

• Love 1

Just finished watching Just Add Romance.  Generic, uninteresting cooking show competition movie and actually, I didn't really watch it so much as have it on in the background, on mute a lot of the time, while doing other things.

Once again, Luke Macfarlane has zero chemistry with the lead actress.  He always comes across as the best friend who happens to be a guy.  Given that Macfarlane is out as a gay man, why is Hallmark not capitalizing on this and using him as one of their gay leads instead of pushing him as a straight guy?  They clearly love him and he is a handsome man, so maybe he will bring in new viewers.  For me, I tend to zone out when he's on because I don't see or feel any connection between the leads.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Given that Macfarlane is out as a gay man, why is Hallmark not capitalizing on this and using him as one of their gay leads instead of pushing him as a straight guy?

Because there are no gay leads in Hallmark movies.  The Hallmark Hausfraus (perfect description, @kirinan) will not put up with a movie that deals with gay romance with the exception of a few fleeting moments  involving gay characters as friends or assistants.  They will never have a movie that features a gay romance story line.  They like him so he'll cotinute be the handsome male lead for one of their stable of interchangable actresses chemistry or not.

• Love 2

Yes, everything is synthetic.

Saw parts of Frozen in Love again, the one where they talk significantly about H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds and alien invasion in general.   Still creepy for a supposedly "romantic" channel.

People think I'm crazy when I keep saying that Hallmark is just.....not HUMAN.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Luke Macfarlane is one of the leads I like. I just find him very likeable.  The actors I think struggle the most with chemistry are Christopher Russell and Brendan Penny.   I always have trouble with them as romantic leads.  Ryan Paevey can be wooden but has shown improvement.  Plus I enjoy just looking at him.  

Of the female leads I feel like Cindy Busby has the least chemistry in her pairings.

• Love 5
On 3/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, bankerchick said:

Just finishing watching Over The Moon In Love, starring and apparently written by Jessica Lowndes, the actress on whose makeup we were just commenting, specifically, how overdone it is.  Her makeup in this movie is normal, maybe even subtle but to me the surprising thing is that this movie isn't terrible.  Don't get me wrong, it's not really good either, but I haven't wanted to throw anything at the tv and there were no moments where the characters were ridiculous.  Now I see in the closing credits that she wrote many of the songs and performed them as well??  I wonder how much 'writing' and 'singing' is actually performed by these actresses, but also, she's not exactly Julia Roberts.  If she didn't really write or sing, why would they give her the credit?

Jessica Lowndes wrote the movie I believe.

Miranda Frigon, her co-star, did a couple of songs in the movie.

I liked this one.  The guy is so cute.  

On 3/16/2021 at 9:23 AM, Cetacean said:

Because there are no gay leads in Hallmark movies.  The Hallmark Hausfraus (perfect description, @kirinan) will not put up with a movie that deals with gay romance with the exception of a few fleeting moments  involving gay characters as friends or assistants.  They will never have a movie that features a gay romance story line.  They like him so he'll cotinute be the handsome male lead for one of their stable of interchangable actresses chemistry or not.

The Christmas House aired in December 2020 I believe:

"The Christmas House was the first Hallmark movie to prominently feature a same-sex couple."

Also:

For Mix up in the Mediterranean , Jeremy Jordan plays twins, one gay and one straight. 
For Wedding every Weekend, the main couple attend a gay wedding.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 3/7/2021 at 12:09 PM, Shorty186 said:

Wow, so first Hallmark used a crappy cover of Weezer's "Beverly Hills" for Beverly Hills Wedding and now they got the rights to TLC's "Waterfalls" for the new movie Chasing Waterfalls? Maybe they've decided to make movies based off the song rights they can get. There's also a new movie called Don't Go Breaking My Heart but the commercial surprisingly didn't use the Elton John song. Probably too expensive.

I watched all of Chasing Waterfalls and they don't play TLC once.  They only got the rights for the commercials.  Such a disappointment.  And the movie was terrible.

Watching the promos for upcoming Spring premiere movies, I saw a familiar face in the bit for the Irish one, "As Luck Would Have It"- and pretty soon realized that the hero is played by Alan Leech, who was Tom Branson -- the chauffeur who married into the Crawley family in 'Downton Abbey' !  One of the most beloved (and complex) characters in the entire series!

I'm looking forward to seeing him, and glad he's working, but professionally it does seem a bit of a come-down.    I hope he does also have some major motion picture in the works by now.   

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Christmas House aired in December 2020 I believe:

"The Christmas House was the first Hallmark movie to prominently feature a same-sex couple."

Also:

For Mix up in the Mediterranean , Jeremy Jordan plays twins, one gay and one straight. 
For Wedding every Weekend, the main couple attend a gay wedding.

I know that there have been a few side stories but my point is that there will never in a million years have the story be exclusively about a same sex couple.   In Wedding Every Weekend, the lesbian couple took up about 6 minutes of the entire movie.  So to have Macfarlane, who is gay, playing against another man with whom he has chemistry will never happen.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know, I think it could happen before a million years is up.  Those examples I shared are getting pretty close.  Lifetime, Paramount, Hulu, and other channels had gay love movies in 2020.

Hulu's probably not the best example, since it regularly has pretty provocative content.  They are the purveyors of The Handmaid's Tale after all.  And I'm not familiar with Paramount but Lifetime has always been a little more okay with controversy, since they also have movies about abuse and such.  I've been watching them way more than Hallmark lately.

I do applaud Hallmark for including gay couples, it's a step in the right direction, but they can't use the excuse of they're trying to warm their audience up to the idea forever.  They're tiptoeing towards diversity.  That's fine for a little while I guess (not ideal, but at least it's there), but there will come a time when it's just obvious tokenism and appeasement of the non-hausfrau audience contingent.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chippings said:

Watching the promos for upcoming Spring premiere movies, I saw a familiar face in the bit for the Irish one, "As Luck Would Have It"- and pretty soon realized that the hero is played by Alan Leech, who was Tom Branson -- the chauffeur who married into the Crawley family in 'Downton Abbey' !  One of the most beloved (and complex) characters in the entire series!

I saw that -- replayed the promo to be sure I was seeing who I thought I was seeing!  This will be a Must See for me.  Loved Tom Branson / Alan Leech.  

I didn't hate Chasing Waterfalls as much as I thought I would.  I did like the scenery.  It was okay background noise until everyone freaked out about a waterfall being geolocated in a publication.  Oh puhleez.  If it's really that hard to get to , most people who go there are likely going to respect nature.  (And if it really was tough to get to, I find it hard to believe an amateur hiker has zero difficulties getting there.) 

5 hours ago, Chippings said:

I'm looking forward to seeing him, and glad he's working, but professionally it does seem a bit of a come-down.  

Hard to say.  He is a  co-lead of this movie as opposed to playing supporting or "blink and you'll miss him" role.  They might be putting a little more money into this since they are filming in Ireland and his co-star is Joanna Garcia Swisher who hasn't done a Hallmark movie before and she works quite a bit.  She's a constant regular on TV shows. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Ryan Paevey can be wooden but has shown improvement.  Plus I enjoy just looking at him.  

Ryan Paevey is very handsome. My favorite of his was the Christmas one about the Christmas tree topper at the Plaza Hotel. 

• Love 4

Just wanted to let anyone who likes these movies know that all three Sarah, Plain and Tall films will be shown on Hallmark Drama today starting at 5 p.m. (Eastern time). It's been a long while since I've seen them.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, Luckylyn said:

Luke Macfarlane is one of the leads I like. I just find him very likeable.  The actors I think struggle the most with chemistry are Christopher Russell and Brendan Penny.   I always have trouble with them as romantic leads.  Ryan Paevey can be wooden but has shown improvement.  Plus I enjoy just looking at him.  

Of the female leads I feel like Cindy Busby has the least chemistry in her pairings.

I don't dislike Luke as an actor and agree that he is likeable.  As a best friend.  He has zero chemistry with any actress he is with and I felt this way long before I knew he was gay.  Christopher Russell is wooden but he is also totally cute so I give him a pass.  Plus I will always watch him after seeing him without a shirt in that movie about his house being Christmas every day.  Brendan Penny is a non-entity to me, along with Sam Page, Brant Daugherty, Kris Polaha, Brennan Elliott, Niall Matter, Jack Turner and so many others.  These are not guys who make me tune in and I am out if the story is bad or the female lead is annoying.  Now, put Andrew Walker, Paul Greene, Paul Campbell, Ryan Paevey, Trevor Donovan, Tyler Hynes or Travis Van Winkle in any movie and I will watch it.  And I'm sorry to say I mean 'any movie' as I have watched some pretty bad non-Hallmark stuff just because Paul Campbell or Travis Van Winkle was in it.

I'm not really a fan of Cindy Busby (the first movie I saw her in was the Pride and Prejudice one -something about Mr. Darcy - and I don't know if it was the writing or her but I wanted to punch her Elizabeth character) but would watch her every day over anything with Lacy Chabert, Danica McKellar, Rachel Boston/Erin Cahill (interchangeable charisma-free actresses), Nikki DeLoach or Bethany Joy Lenz.  I will stop there but could add quite a few to this list.

Your mileage may vary, of course.  And no doubt does.

I will watch Andrew Walker or Paul Campbell in pretty much anything.

Autumn Reeser is probably my favorite Hallmark actress.  And I want Andrew Walker and Arielle Kebbel to do another movie together.   They are one of my favorite pairings.  I love Bridal Wave.

• Love 4

I watched Paul Campbell in 2 non-Hallmark movies - Preggoland, which I didn't like at first, then started liking it so had to watch a second time and ultimately quite liked it and his character.  This past weekend, I watched something called Dirty Singles.  It was terrible and while Campbell was good in it, his character was a douche.  It was so weird to hear him use the f word and be in sexual situations though.

Back to the topic, I think the first time I watched a Hallmark movie, Candace Cameron Bure was in it.  When they got to the part where normal people would kiss and they didn't, I assumed it was because she is quite religious and wanted to keep the movie fairly chaste.  It wasn't until I watched more of them that I realized every movie has an 'almost kiss' moment.  Case in point:  watching Project Christmas Wish.  The two stars go to a 'mixer,' meet up at the beginning of the evening then have a romantic dance to what appears to be the second or third song of the night.  The next day, her friend asks her about the dance and she talks about butterflies, etc.  So, what happened after that dance?  Did they dance again?  Did they mix with the others and not speak again?  Did someone go home early?  How can you have a romantic dance like that with no follow-up??  There is no way 2 normal people that into each other don't spend the rest of the evening together, then (at least!) kiss at the end of the evening.

Bridal Wave is one of the first Hallmark movies I ever saw, and really liked.  I have it on PVR and watch it pretty regularly.  I think the buzz cut was a bad decision though.

• Love 1

Allen Leech had a pretty prominent role in Bohemian Rhapsody playing one of Freddy Mercury’s “friends”.  He was quite good in the role.

I have to say that I really, really dislike how they portray women in the Prince movies.  Today’s movie, Royally Ever After, made Fiona Gubelmann look like an uneducated country bumpkin and her father was made to act like he took the last train out of Deliverance.  I’m sorry, but she’s supposed to be a college educated woman, but her antics belie that.  It was the same with the character Lacy Chabert played in A Royal Christmas.  She was such a doofus and her behavior was embarrassing. She started by calling the Queen “Mrs.”, looking like a dope at the dinner party and just overall acting like she lived under a rock.  I just don’t get why they write them so dumb. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I have to say that I really, really dislike how they portray women in the Prince movies.  Today’s movie, Royally Ever After, made Fiona Gubelmann look like an uneducated country bumpkin and her father was made to act like he took the last train out of Deliverance.

I know right???  And also, I'm sorry but I just can't get into most Prince movies* because it's like, you'll never convince me that there would ever be a country where if they had a gorgeous Prince between the ages of 18 and 45 or so that he could somehow run around totally anonymously.  Like in The Prince and Me, which was basically a Hallmark film plot-wise but with much better execution thanks to a higher budget and better actors, we're just supposed to believe that the Prince of Denmark can go off to college in Wisconsin and no one will recognize him?

* I make an exception for A Christmas Prince on Netflix.  At least in that story the Prince was actually famous.  It's super cliche and dumb but that movie is a warm hug at Christmas time and I watch it every year.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ryan Paevey is very handsome. My favorite of his was the Christmas one about the Christmas tree topper at the Plaza Hotel. 

Did you try "A Timeless Christmas"?  The first 30 minutes were hysterical. 

Guys I like:   Michael Rady, Wes Brown, sometimes David Arpay, Ryan Paevey, 

Women I like:  Jessica Lowndes, Taylor Cole, Alicia Witt (love), Jill Wagner sometimes, Erin Cahill

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I liked Chasing Waterfalls more than I expected.  Mostly because the scenery was beautiful.  I know Hallmark movies are essentially all the same, but the plot of this one seemed very similar to Pearl in Paradise.  The misunderstanding in both movies was one half of the leading couple thinking the other person revealed the location of a mythical pearl/waterfall.  The line at the end about the tent "having room for two" was more suggestive than Hallmark usually gets, so points for one thing that was slightly different. 

• Love 1

Hallmark has announced their new movies.  I'll talk the mystery stuff in the mysteries thread but some early thoughts:

https://www.etonline.com/hallmark-reveals-summer-nights-schedule-and-6-more-original-movies-exclusive-162675

Pascale Hutton and Kavan Smith are doing another movie together.  I get that they like one another but they are not a pairing that really works for me.

There's more international travel/travel with an Australian movie and a Parisian movie and a Hawaii themed movie--although there's no guarantee that they filmed either on location. 

Mallory Jansen is back (yay!) and she's paired with her Galavant co-star Josh Sasse in the Parisian movie.  This would make me excited except Josh is playing a French character which means we're probably getting a fake French accent. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don't usually watch Hallmark movies, but this week I saw the "Sarah, Plain and Tall," "Skylark," and "Sarah, Plain and Tall:  Winter's End" movies.  Normally I wouldn't think of seeing Glenn Close, Christopher Walken and Jack Palance starring in "G" rated, heartfelt movies but I thought they pulled it off really well.   

• Love 3
18 hours ago, mikeb said:

Hallmark is cancelling "Home and Family".  

https://tvline.com/2021/03/23/home-and-family-cancelled-hallmark-channel-ending-final-episodes/

Guess they will need to rely on podcasts for actors and actresses to appear on to plug their new Hallmark movies.

I wonder what they will put on in it's place?  I am well into my 70's...came of age in the 60's; never had a use for the saccharine-ness of the Hallmark Movies, especially the Christmas ones.  Resented the movies taking over from Halloween to New Year's.  Flash forward....

I started watching some of the Christmas movies this year;  enjoyed a lot of them; I was widowed this past year, so they were like putting on comfortable flannel pj's  at night.  Are they realistic?  Of course not.  Is the acting professional?  A good bit of the time, yes; a lot of the time, spotty.  Writing...not so good.  But they can take us out of ourselves for a brief time and bring some cheer.  Sometimes an eyeroll at the ridiculousness of the plot or acting.  Should there be improvement?  Hopefully.   One of the biggest issues, for me, is the merry-go-round of actresses and actors.  This has made me sick to death of some of them.  However...

I read where the network may be going with some younger actors/actresses and maybe more movies based on books geared towards a younger genre.  This would make me quit before I have even really started watching this channel all that much.  I do know that although I have always been a Golden Girls fan, I am about over it being on so much.  So please tell me that they won't replace "Home and Family" with more Reba, Golden Girls, etc.  

I do like Bethany Joy Lenz (is that her name?), Jill Wagner and a couple of others; they don't play the roles so "ingenue" .  Most of the actors are Ken Dolls.  And some of the hair is unfortunate.  Shallow end of the pool here.  

• Love 6
21 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Shantel VanSanten and Victor Webster are engaged after meeting on the set of the Hallmark film Love Blossoms in 2017!

I just saw that movie this morning on the W channel (my local source for all things Hallmark).  As Hallmark movies go it was pretty good.  I liked both the leads and the writing wasn't bad.  It was a little slow moving but the scenery was fantastic and the plot was interesting enough to keep me watching even if it was a little predictable.

• Love 3

I was gonna watch but didn't bother.  Bottled With Love is on again tomorrow morning.  Can't do it.  This is a textbook example of the actress (Bethany Joy Lenz) being too much to overcome even though the male lead (Andrew Walker) is one of my favourites.

What is an Aurora Teagarden mystery?

Edited by bankerchick
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

What is an Aurora Teagarden mystery?

Hallmark made movies based on a series of books.  Aurora Teagarden is the amateur"detective".  They are incredibly bland.

• Love 3

Ugh.  I'll skip.

Going through the On Demand menu and notice that A New Years Resolution has apparently been renamed to New Year, New Me.  Is that to trick people into watching it again thinking it's a different movie?  That can't be it, I can never remember the name of the movies anyway.

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Going through the On Demand menu and notice that A New Years Resolution has apparently been renamed to New Year, New Me.  Is that to trick people into watching it again thinking it's a different movie?  That can't be it, I can never remember the name of the movies anyway.

If I remember correctly I believe New Year, New Me was the original title of the film when it was supposed to air at the end of 2019. When they rescheduled it to premiere this year instead they changed the title to A New Year's Resolution. The On Demand menu might have some sort of mix up from the original title. 

On 3/23/2021 at 3:17 PM, maggiegil said:

Shantel VanSanten and Victor Webster are engaged after meeting on the set of the Hallmark film Love Blossoms in 2017!

Awww, good for them! I liked that movie and thought they worked well together. I was actually wondering the other day if any of these actors ever date or marry each other, and couldn't think of any. They all seem to be married before starting at Hallmark.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Kemper said:

I read where the network may be going with some younger actors/actresses and maybe more movies based on books geared towards a younger genre.  This would make me quit before I have even really started watching this channel all that much.  I do know that although I have always been a Golden Girls fan, I am about over it being on so much.  So please tell me that they won't replace "Home and Family" with more Reba, Golden Girls, etc.

One thing that I do like about Hallmark is that they have some diversity in terms of age.  People like Catherine Bell, Diane Ladd, and Barbara Niven actually have roles where they do stuff.  They occasionally get cast in movies as the leads (!!), despite being in their 50s and beyond.  Hallmark does seem to acknowledge that people's lives and stories actually continue as they get older.  You don't see that anywhere else in Hollywood, certainly not for women.

That being said, I can see how they might want to bring in some younger actors for the other end of the spectrum.  A little too frequently they have people like Erin Krakow, Alicia Witt, or Candace Cameron Burre playing roles that are clearly intended for people in their 20s, and they're all around 40.  Age appropriate roles don't have to be boring, I think they've shown that, and I also hope they don't think that they assume ratings will improve dramatically simply thanks to younger actors.  A younger version of Cameron Mathison will be just as bland.  I hope they can find a balance.

• Love 9

I like Cameron Mathison.  I've liked a few of his movies.  Sure Hallmark does diversity of age - for white people.  But they rarely do any kind of diversity in other ways.  And they clearly don't hire based on acting ability.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like Cameron Mathison.  I've liked a few of his movies.

The first movie I saw him in was as the rich boyfriend in Window Wonderland.  I really liked him in that role,  He made you actually kind of like the guy even though he was a jerk in oh so many way!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It certainly seems that the only people watching Hallmark are old.  I can say this because I am old (over 60, though I will concede some 50-somethings might watch.)  None of my younger friends, kids, or family would be caught dead watching and they look at me like I'm insane if I talk about a movie that I liked.  They are all also surprised that anyone would consider watching a Hallmark movie that isn't a Christmas movie.  The majority of the movies are supposed to be about early 30 somethings, most of whom are now working at either continuing to climb the corporate ladder, or settling into their niche little shop.  Granted the actresses they cast are too old to be playing the part, but I can't honestly say that I think any of the above skeptics would start watching these movies if they replaced the actress with someone who was 29.  So is the plan to start making movies about people still in university in order to catch the younger demographic?

I think the best bet to grow the demographic is to forget the young 'uns and start making movies about older characters getting on with their lives.  Working, thinking about retirement, divorce, death of a spouse (who isn't a 30 year old woman leaving behind young children.)  Moving on, starting over.  It's not like there aren't a million 40 year old actresses who would jump at the chance to work again.  And a million handsome men over 40 who I would gladly watch, all day, every day.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

None of my younger friends, kids, or family would be caught dead watching and they look at me like I'm insane if I talk about a movie that I liked. 

Well, it might be because the moves are all one-note, bland, and boring.  How many "girl meets prince" movies would today's younger set find remotely interesting?

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sure Hallmark does diversity of age - for white people.  But they rarely do any kind of diversity in other ways.  And they clearly don't hire based on acting ability.

Preach, sister!

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I think the best bet to grow the demographic is to forget the young 'uns and start making movies about older characters getting on with their lives.  Working, thinking about retirement, divorce, death of a spouse (who isn't a 30 year old woman leaving behind young children.)  Moving on, starting over.  It's not like there aren't a million 40 year old actresses who would jump at the chance to work again.  And a million handsome men over 40 who I would gladly watch, all day, every day.

I liken the audience for most Hallmark movies to the readers of authors like Debbie Macomber.  I could be wrong but I strongly suspect mainly women and mainly 45+.  And frankly, what's wrong with that?  I suspect that's pretty big demographic.   Younger people are leaving mainstream TV in droves - if you want to appeal to the cable TV holdouts you'd be well advised to acknowledge that this isn't 20 somethings!  But still the common 'wisdom' always seems to be to try to market to the younger crowd.  Nevermind the rest of us!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The first movie I saw him in was as the rich boyfriend in Window Wonderland.  I really liked him in that role,  He made you actually kind of like the guy even though he was a jerk in oh so many way!

"Holidaze" is ABC Family and one of my favourite TV movies ever.  You might want to wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas but give that one a try.

In terms of Hallmark, "A Christmas to Remember" looks good and I'll watch that one this coming holiday.

The movie that I THOUGHT I liked Cameron in besides Holidaze was "Christmas List".  Whoops.  That was actually Gabriel Hogan who is also super cute.  

11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I liken the audience for most Hallmark movies to the readers of authors like Debbie Macomber.  I could be wrong but I strongly suspect mainly women and mainly 45+.  And frankly, what's wrong with that?  I suspect that's pretty big demographic.   Younger people are leaving mainstream TV in droves - if you want to appeal to the cable TV holdouts you'd be well advised to acknowledge that this isn't 20 somethings!  But still the common 'wisdom' always seems to be to try to market to the younger crowd.  Nevermind the rest of us!

I FINALLY got around to "Trading Christmas" last holiday season and it was just as good as I thought it would be.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

It certainly seems that the only people watching Hallmark are old.  I can say this because I am old (over 60, though I will concede some 50-somethings might watch.) 

Maybe the pandemic has changed things?  I've watched so many in the past year.  I'm what they call an "elder Millennial".  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I FINALLY got around to "Trading Christmas" last holiday season and it was just as good as I thought it would be.

I love that one and actually just got the DVD because it didn't air anywhere for me this past holiday season.  The Debbie Macomber books that Hallmark has made into movies have usually been really good (Mr Miracle being a notable exception).  Call Me Mrs Miracle and Mrs Miracle are two that don't get shown much anymore and I really recommend them!  If you like to read the books the movies are based on these are all good choices too - but, as with most book to TV transitions the movies do cut out a lot from the books :small voice: Mrs Miracle in particular is better than the book I think!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I love that one and actually just got the DVD because it didn't air anywhere for me this past holiday season.  The Debbie Macomber books that Hallmark has made into movies have usually been really good (Mr Miracle being a notable exception).  Call Me Mrs Miracle and Mrs Miracle are two that don't get shown much anymore and I really recommend them!  If you like to read the books the movies are based on these are all good choices too - but, as with most book to TV transitions the movies do cut out a lot from the books :small voice: Mrs Miracle in particular is better than the book I think!

Thank you, I love recommendations.  There's just way too much material out there and I need help narrowing it down!