Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

This was not a book set in the 18th century so the odds of 4 young people all connected although not related all dying that young seems very unlikely but the way had to be cleared for the happy ever after romances. 

Heaven forbid the parents are divorced rather than one be dead.  Statistically, in the US, that's a million times more likely than being killed off at a young age.  But then statistically, the US isn't 99.9% White so I guess in Hallmark World they are free to ignore logic.

• Love 3

Thanks to Hallmark "feel good" Christmas movies I notice this all the time now.

OMG, how is that supposed to attract us to Hallmark movies, if half of the love stories come out of one of the early 30-somethings being a widower (do you notice that it's almost always the woman who's dead?)  Like it's a curse.  As I said in my last post, women date divorced men with children all the time.  We don't have to know the nitty-gritty of the divorce, just as we don't know the gruesome details of young mom's death.  Just a guy raising his precocious daughter (they're almost all daughters as well) and trying to start over.  I agree that it's creepy.

I am watching You're Bacon Me Crazy. I know I am definitely in minority territory here, but Michael Rady has never done anything for me.  He seems like a great guy and he's probably the best husband material of all the hunks, but he just seems blah to me.  Having said that, he is quite appealing in this movie.  He is mad at the girl and is being dismissive of her, the way we see the women always act, and while it didn't last (in fact it lasted about 30 seconds,) it was nice to finally see the guy not be the doormat.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

but Michael Rady has never done anything for me.  He seems like a great guy and he's probably the best husband material of all the hunks, but he just seems blah to me.  Having said that, he is quite appealing in this movie

I'm a huge Michael Rady fan, but hated this movie and I found the story, and the leads annoying. 

Yeah, I guess I could have been clearer.  I found him physically appealing for a change (longer hair? more form fitting clothes?) , but agree that both the characters were annoying.  I watched most of it on mute anyway since I had seen it before and I have just discovered the band Midland and now I can't stop listening to them.  And it's not like you have to listen to a Hallmark movie to follow the plot.

• Love 2

Thank you guys for suggesting Playing Cupid because it definitely held my attention and was cute. I enjoyed the leads and the storyline was different. Yes the teacher/parent of student storyline was a little uncomfortable but I was able to look past that at a good storyline with good lead chemistry.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, Callietwo said:
On 2/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, Luckylyn said:

I had mixed feelings about Playing Cupid.   I thought the leads had a ton of chemistry and really liked the characters. Overall it’s the best movie I’ve seen so far on Hallmark in 2021.

I actually liked this way more than I wanted to, even though I disliked the Dad/Love interest.  I felt like he sounded the same no matter what his emotions... just fell flat for me

Yes - the cadence in his voice was always the same.  Almost as if he were trying to mask an accent to force sounding more American. 

I thought the movie was fun.  I even enjoyed the kids acting, which is a make or break for me.  No bratty, precocious know-it-alls.  I did find the setup the usual pretentious smarm - young, pretty teacher in a relationship with a work-a-holic oh-so-conveniently breakup in a restaurant owned by a young, gorgeous single dad who witnesses said breakup.  Dad works in the kitchen, but dresses in khakie's and buttoned up shirts so tight his manly  arm muscles are clearly outlined.  And then the speed dating event at the restaurant.  It's 7o'clock and no one's there and then, at 10 after, everyone swoops in at once.  What, did they all come together or wait outside so they could all flood in at once?

But eh - it was enough for me to hand wave to get until the end.

• Love 3

A serious and, I hope, respectful question -- how is it possible to distinguish one of these movies from another?  We see the same Type A characters who never change their workaholic ways even when finally embracing a less materialistic view of life, at least according to Hallmark standards.  No matter if the female and male leads wind up teaching yoga in a commune, they will still find time to champion the spirit of competition in some fashion, most notably during "play time" -- "I beat you in the snowball fight!"  There is never a truly 360 turnaround.   I find the channel's corporate culture very stulfiying.  We all know their favorite word is "pitch", lol. 

For me there is nothing remotely romantic or charming about Hallmark.  I can barely watch even for snark purposes.  I understand they used to have true emotional resonance years and years ago.  I mean, on an actual human level!      

• Love 1

Recently, I recorded All Summer Long and it has remained on my DVR since I watched it. It is one of those Hallmark movies that I put on just to have it on. It is like a warm blanket, a hot chocolate and a loved one all rolled into one. You would think this was a movie with a winter theme or a Christmas movie but no. It is anything but that.

I love Autumn Reeser and she has matured into a lovely woman. I really really like her with Brennan Elliot. To see Brennan Elliot show some wit in his acting made me smile. The theme and story line of this movie is what gives me the warm fuzzies although I'm not a nautical person at all. 

I know this movie is from 2019 but somehow, I never did see it until just a couple of weeks ago. Peter DeLuise directs several Hallmark movies and he directed this one too but I've never seen him cast in the movies. He and his real life wife play husband and wife in this and they are a treat together. Christopher Russel has a supporting role and he actually has a scene that makes him look like he has some conscience and heart and he plays it very well.

This movie is pure fluff and I love it!

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

For me there is nothing remotely romantic or charming about Hallmark. 

They have apparently decided on a mold and have weeded out any of the appealing storylines that made them a household name. I don't know if it's the writers or TPTB but it's so sad.  A Hallmark Hall of Fame movie was a must-watch event at our house.  There were so many great, diverse stories, great acting, great actors.  Now it's all cookie cutter with no question on the outcome - you can tell it in the first five minutes.  Bland, interchangeable characters, boring storylines, lack of diversity - why? 

I always judge how much I like a movie by how often I think about it in the days following the viewing.  With the schlock served up by Hallmark I not only do not revisit the story in my thoughts, I cannot tell one from the other.  It's just the same stories repeated ad nauseum.

I don't know who to blame but they hold a special place in hell for orchestrating the demise of a once great enterprise.

• Love 7

For me in terms of the Christmas movies there are usually at least a few movies each year that I really enjoy and will watch again and again.  But not many.  When you think of how many movies get made each year now the percentage that I like enough to put into endless rotation is incredibly small.  There are older movies that I love and they are the ones I think of when I say "Hallmark".  This Christmas season for some reason the channel that airs these movies here played almost none of the classic older movies and chose instead to endlessly play the new ones.  Did they think if we saw them more often we'd start liking them?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

This Christmas season for some reason the channel that airs these movies here played almost none of the classic older movies and chose instead to endlessly play the new ones.  Did they think if we saw them more often we'd start liking them?

I am guessing that they put the good stuff on their pay channel and put the dreck on the free one so we'll want to fork over money to see quality.  It's hard to tell, they make it difficult to find a specific movie but I did see Loving Leah on one list.    

That appears to be the trend for lots of streaming channels but I'm not going to pay for 15 different services to watch one program on each. It's gotten out of hand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It seems to me that perhaps Hallmark has 'jumped the shark.'  I really started watching them this year for the first time, probably during the summer/fall season when there was nothing else on due to covid delaying most regular shows.  Some were really good while others were the standard dreck we are all complaining about now.  Characters that are all the same (bitchy, driven women and stubborn men who never left the hometown) the same plot over and over (women coming back to the small town for some reason, only to meet up with the old boyfriend and after saving the bookstore/ranch/bakery, deciding to give up their old life and move home) and even the titles are so similar it's impossible to tell them apart (Christmas/Snow/Harvest/Valentines Day.)  A format where you can almost tell what time it is depending on where we are in the movie (bitter and bitchy for the first 45 minutes, friendly and collaborative for the next half hour, then an almost kiss, a run to the final festival/bake-off/grand re-opening at the 1.5 hour mark, the dreaded misunderstanding breakup/trip back home with 15 minutes to go and the final return to the hometown and kiss to end the movie.)

Maybe 40 movies per season for years is too much.  As discussed just a page ago, one movie was literally made twice with different actors.

If I had been more savvy I would have PVR'd every new movie, then deleted 99% of them, so I could re-watch the ones I like rather than get sucked into watching a piece of crap because the movies I liked the most were only played once or twice and On Demand has now deleted them.

• Love 5

Thanks for your response, @Cetacean.  I would truly like to view those classic Hallmark movies of times past -- just because I gripe on and on now doesn't mean I don't want to experience the warm and fuzzy feelings that apparently used to emanate from this channel to its audience.

5 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I would truly like to view those classic Hallmark movies of times past -- just because I gripe on and on now doesn't mean I don't want to experience the warm and fuzzy feelings that apparently used to emanate from this channel to its audience.

My faves from Hallmark Hall of Fame of the past including Loving Leah, Sarah Plain and Tall, Mr. Lincoln, The Russell Girl, Pictures of Hollis Woods, The Magic of Ordinary Days, The Water is Wide, Beyond the Blackboard, A Place for Annie, My Sister's Keeper, Saint Maybe, Skylark, To Dance with the White Dog, and two for the holidaies - A Season for Miracles and November Christmas.

I'm sure many of these are lost to history. But when a movies stays with you for decades, THAT was quality writing, acting, and direction.  Not only did many of these have top quality stars, they were not formulaic in any way but were thought provoking and addressed some real world issues. 

Gosh, reading this list makes me so nostalgic and also magnifies how truly horrible today's Hallmark offerings are.

To Dance with the White Dog stars Hume Cronyn and his wife, Jessica Tandy.  It's the story of a elderly man who just lost his wife.  They (as well as the movie) were nominated for an Emmy.  On the day of the Emmy awards, Jessica Tandy passed away.  Life imitating art.

Edited by Cetacean
another thought
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

My faves from Hallmark Hall of Fame of the past including Loving Leah, Sarah Plain and Tall, Mr. Lincoln, The Russell Girl, Pictures of Hollis Woods, The Magic of Ordinary Days, The Water is Wide, Beyond the Blackboard, A Place for Annie, My Sister's Keeper, Saint Maybe, Skylark, To Dance with the White Dog, and two for the holidaies - A Season for Miracles and November Christmas.

I'm sure many of these are lost to history. But when a movies stays with you for decades, THAT was quality writing, acting, and direction.  Not only did many of these have top quality stars, they were not formulaic in any way but were thought provoking and addressed some real world issues. 

Gosh, reading this list makes me so nostalgic and also magnifies how truly horrible today's Hallmark offerings are.

To Dance with the White Dog stars Hume Cronyn and his wife, Jessica Tandy.  It's the story of a elderly man who just lost his wife.  They (as well as the movie) were nominated for an Emmy.  On the day of the Emmy awards, Jessica Tandy passed away.  Life imitating art.

Thanks so much for that personal list, @Cetacean.  Sounds like old-school quality!  Hope I can have the privilege of finding many of these to watch and enjoy.

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

My faves from Hallmark Hall of Fame of the past including Loving Leah, Sarah Plain and Tall, Mr. Lincoln, The Russell Girl, Pictures of Hollis Woods, The Magic of Ordinary Days, The Water is Wide, Beyond the Blackboard, A Place for Annie, My Sister's Keeper, Saint Maybe, Skylark, To Dance with the White Dog,

I love this movie.  And...it's been uploaded to Youtube to watch for free

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I have seen a few of these and enjoyed them over the years.  No idea this was the type of content Hallmark Channel used to produce.  We watch Hallmark movies on W Network in Canada, and I just assumed that all the movies were romances or mysteries.

3 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

No idea this was the type of content Hallmark Channel used to produce.

These were all Hallmark Hall of Fame productions and way pre-Hallmark channel.  They were shown on network TV, NBC as I recall.

• Useful 1

Some of those movies still air on Hallmark Drama.  They've been showing a Hall of Fame movie Monday night for several weeks now.  I'm enjoying them, but the down side is it makes what Hallmark currently produces look pretty thin in comparison.

• Love 2
Just now, Cetacean said:

Is that the pay one? 

No, I think that's Hallmark Now.  At least on the basic plus package (or whatever RCN is calling it these days), it's just the 3rd Hallmark Channel.  It got added to my cable package with no fanfare 2-3 years ago.

• Love 1
Just now, dalek said:

No, I think that's Hallmark Now.  At least on the basic plus package (or whatever RCN is calling it these days), it's just the 3rd Hallmark Channel.  It got added to my cable package with no fanfare 2-3 years ago.

Just after I posted that I did a search - it's not available on my Spectrum cable network.  Sigh.

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I enjoyed Mixed Up In The Mediterranean tonight.   There was pretty scenery and some funny stuff.  I was more into the relationship between the brothers but their love interest were good too.

Same. I am not a Jessica Lowndes fan at all and I definitely thought she was the weak link. 
I want to go to Malta. 

7 minutes ago, Veronica said:

Same. I am not a Jessica Lowndes fan at all and I definitely thought she was the weak link. 
I want to go to Malta. 

I haven't seen the movie yet, but one of my issues with Jessica Lowndes is the amount of spackle she always wears on her face.  I feel like she could be pretty but it's just too much.  It appears in the commercial that this is the case in this one as well.  

I gave Mixed Up in the Mediterranean a shot because of the gorgeous location and I really like Jeremy.  I just cannot, cannot watch Jessica Lowndes.  Her crazily heavy makeup and her huge, show every tooth smile at times that don’t call for a huge smile make it hard for me to even look at her.  In addition, it really bothered me how much time she was spending with “Julian” when she’s more or less leading this competition and he is a married man.  I gave up halfway and watched “Bridesmaids” for the 5th time and was so happy I did.  Too bad for Jeremy — he’s a delightful talent.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but one of my issues with Jessica Lowndes is the amount of spackle she always wears on her face. 

This movie is no exception.  During one scene I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying because the heavy eye makeup was so distracting every time she blinked.  She is not much of an actress so I feel like the movie would have been more enjoyable with someone else in the lead.  The story was good and there were no times when I felt like yelling at the tv.  I didn't know the lead actor so wasn't sure if it was actually the same guy at first.  He did a good job in both roles.

• Love 2

I feel bad, but I think my issue with Jessica Lowndes is that she just has the stereotypical mean girl/woman look and overall persona and I don't ever quite buy her as a kind, down-to-earth woman. I have no idea what she is like in real life, but that is just how I always see her. 

• Love 4

I am sure that Jessica Lowndes is drop-dead gorgeous in real life.  But in any movie I have ever seen her in, her make-up is so heavy and terrible that she gives off "stripper" vibes.  Please, no insult to strippers intended.  Her features come off as sharp and the makeup is clownish.  Her acting chops may be fine in other types of movies, films....but maybe not for the Hallmark genre.  And the actor opposite her is actually one of the more attractive males that they have....but his hair was not so good.  I will lap from my saucer of cream now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it a lot. As a 90210 fan, I have always enjoyed the movies with Lowndes. I get her made up face can be distracting for some, but I am fine with it in this instance, as she is a fancy events planner in a fancy hotel. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2021 at 7:27 AM, Cetacean said:

Loving Leah and The Magic of Ordinary Days are two of my absolute favorites. 

On 2/22/2021 at 6:45 AM, Kemper said:

I am sure that Jessica Lowndes is drop-dead gorgeous in real life.  But in any movie I have ever seen her in, her make-up is so heavy and terrible that she gives off "stripper" vibes.  Please, no insult to strippers intended.  Her features come off as sharp and the makeup is clownish.  Her acting chops may be fine in other types of movies, films....but maybe not for the Hallmark genre.  And the actor opposite her is actually one of the more attractive males that they have....but his hair was not so good.  I will lap from my saucer of cream now.

(Bolding mine) Jeremy Jordan!! take a listen at the link and tell me why he’s not a household name???

• Love 2

Because anytime Hallmark HoF classics are brought up, along with Magic of Ordinary Days and Loving Leah, don't forget Follow The Stars Home as well. 

My trifecta of Hallmark romance movies.  Couples got to have legit longing and melt into one another when they finally got together.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

I don't usually care that much about how gorgeous or not gorgeous the female stars are - and I am totally supportive of the way they have so many women in their 40s NOT playing the mother/grandmother/crazy aunt role but instead are the romantic lead, however, and it's a big HOWEVER, who does the hair and make up?  They really need to be reassigned, perhaps to a clown college?  The overly made up faces with incredibly long eyelashes are beyond a joke now.  First thing I notice and it's very distracting.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

...who does the hair and make up?  They really need to be reassigned, perhaps to a clown college? 

It's distracting to the point of ignoring the story.  Of course, the hairdresser doesn't have much to do beyound creating those sausage curls with a huge curling iron.

38 minutes ago, mikeb said:

There are a lot of comments that are blaming them on decreased ratings due to recent focus on increased diversity...

Yeah, you could see that one coming a mile away.  All of the pearl-clutchers are saying "See, I told you.  We, the evangelical christians don't approve of anything other than White straight couples so we'll torpedo you for showing the abominations".  Has it ever occurred to them that the boring, repetitive, unimaginative stories might have anything to do with a dip in ratings?  We've all been home for 12,000 months now with nothing to do but watch TV and are finding a wealth of really good stuff out there not on Hallmark.  Hallmark is the last channel I look at when sitting down to watch something unless I just have it on as a background noise.  If it's a good movie (meaning non-Hallmark) I pay attention.  The Hallmark sub-par stuff is just white noise since every story is the same and ends the same way.

• Love 5

I thought holiday ratings were steady year over year? 

But the diversity of which they complain?  Happened early in the holiday season and there hasn't been a ton of it since up until this past weekend's movie with Jeremy Jordan playing both the gay and straight brother.

• Love 2

Mixed Up in the Mediterranean - oy vey the accents!  Rarely have I heard so many that are so bad that it's virtually impossible to figure out what they are supposed to be and would change during a scene.  The "German" woman threw in a line about having "two teams of five" for the competition which was a head scratcher since there were five teams of two.  Idiot dialog - "You grew up in Alaska, weren't you lonely?" (as if everyone lives alone on the tundra).  Throw in the bad acting and yeesh, what a mess.

Joshua was tolerable, As has been said, Lowndes' makeup was so distracting it was hard to concentrate.  And who didn't see the Baked Alaska Peach Melba coming a mile away.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2021 at 5:27 AM, Cetacean said:

On 2/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, ctlady said:

I love this movie.  And...it's been uploaded to Youtube to watch for free

What a great list! I loved when Hallmark rotated these on the channel with their newer, not so cookie cutter romances. It was a nice mix for everyone.

I'd like to add some more to the list! Some of my faves: Little John, Firelight (2012), Finding a Family, Freshman Father & Front of the Class. I remember enjoying Remember Sunday sometime ago as well.

As an aside, I get legit confused whenever I hear Jeremy Jordan and see someone different than the one that sticks out in my mind from my childhood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV05oji5doc & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikkc-gdoTWs

I think my brain is stuck in the 90s in so many ways! ha

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 1

I thought the ratings were steady this past year? Without minimizing the actual people's pain of losing their job, 20 jobs is a relatively low number. Hallmark is not the only game in town. Netflix, Lifetime, etc are making their own movies of this ilk. Hopefully, they can apply their knowledge and skillset elsewhere soon.

4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Wow, they had to dig deep into the Wretched Wigs box for that one Erin Krakow is wearing for the upcoming movie.

I actually think it suits her though.  At least in the commercials I've seen.  I kinda like it.

• Love 1

Just rewatched Nine Lives of Christmas and love it though I do I have a question - why do so many of these Christmas movies focus on giving pets as gifts at Christmas time?  In this movie they are having a pet adoption day on Christmas morning.  Does any pet shelter  do this? I've heard this is actually the worst time to give someone a pet - which makes sense to me.  Oh and one more thing in what world are children visiting Santa on Christmas morning?  Sigh.  If even the best of these movies has glaring problems it's no wonder the others can be so bad!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2021 at 11:35 AM, Irlandesa said:

I thought holiday ratings were steady year over year? 

But the diversity of which they complain?  Happened early in the holiday season and there hasn't been a ton of it since up until this past weekend's movie with Jeremy Jordan playing both the gay and straight brother.

Jeremy Jordan has some comedic chops and I LOVED him the duel roles.

• Love 1

I know what you mean, WinnieWinkle.  Are they visiting Santa for next year?  I can't believe kids are already out of the house if this year's gifts have not yet been opened. 

It's like deciding on Dec. 20 to do some giant town square function on Dec. 24.  Firstly, how are you supposed to get anything done in 4 days and let everyone know, but secondly, are there really that many people with no plans for Christmas Eve who are inclined to now go downtown on that day?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, luvthepros said:

Jeremy Jordan has some comedic chops and I LOVED him the duel roles.

Jeremy Jordan is AMAZING. He is a true triple threat- I am happy he is working with Broadway being shut down but can we get him as Fieryo in the movie version of Wicked??? UMMM!!!

• Love 1